LNH: System Corrupters #25

Eric Sturgeon

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <9708261305...@emout04.mail.aol.com>,
<TIFF...@aol.com> wrote:
>Note: The actual Spoon Of Destiny, an actual object, will be seen in
>Teenfactor # 1. You are not allowed to use the spoon in any stories. The
>Spoon Of Destiny is actually the holy grail reincarnated as a plastic spoon,
>so I'm also reserving the Holy Grail. So you are not allowed to use the Spoon
>or The Grail in your story, no matter WHO you are, even if your a big time
>author, your story WILL, I repeat, WILL be Elsewhirled. And Elsewhirling,say,
>Issue 876 of DVolvo Farce is going to look really stupid.

Okay. Now. Let's see here. Okay. The polite people have had their
chance to try and pound some nails of sense into the dense wood-like
substance you like to pretend is your head, and apparently they've
failed, as you continue to display the intelligence of your average
lump of mold-encrusted week-old snot. Look, I'll try to put this so
you can understand, although I don't know why I bother, as my friend's
retarded dog who has repeatedly been run over by cars because he likes
to chase them from the front shows better comprehension abilities than
you. Being deliberately inflammatory is *not* *good*. Negative
attention is not better than no attention. In radio and on television,
or any other medium where sales are important, sure, negative
attention is good, but no one is paying to read the diseased hyena
droppings you like to call stories; your readership is entirely based
on the enjoyment you can provide people with, and since readership is
what you claim to want, you should take pains not to piss people
off. Personal attacks on other authors, especially ones like Dvandom,
who've been around forever or nearly enough and have proven their
abilities over time and have actually earned the respect accorded
them, are especially ungood and show a staggering lack of intelligence
the likes of which I haven't seen since Jesse Willey.

Just go the hell away, will you?

Eric "Stirge" Sturgeon

TIFFER003

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

> Personal attacks on other authors, especially ones like Dvandom,

Um, no, this wasn't a personal attack. I was just trying to think of the
best book in the LNH group, and so did that. It was just a warning that the
use of the Holy Grail is out of continuity(with the exception of an
alt.ernate reality Holy Grail.) Sorry, geez.
Tom Russell (tiff...@aol.com)
"Ai to seigi no Sailor-fuku no BISHOUJO no SENSHI SAILORMOON! Tsuki ni
kawatte oshioki yo!"

Ben Rawluk

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In a previous article, Cornelius Goetz von Olenhusen says:

>As for the Holy Grail.... I think reserving that is a bit of a dumb idea, Tom.
>So what if there were two of them around? One could be a duplicate, or from
>another dimension or whatever. It's the Looniverse, for heavens sake!

Mmhmm. And if Cheesecake-Eater Lad can be on two seperate adventures at
the same time, no doubt there can be duplicate artifacts of significance.
I mean, one would have to put some effort into dealing with the religious
implications therein, but otherwise...

Ben, who is in the midst of getting _Off-Kilter Adventures_ #9 done and
ready for posting, but has a while to go before its really ready.
--
#----------------------Ben Rawluk -- ad...@pgfn.bc.ca------------------------#
# Author of _Off-Kilter Adventures_ (for LNH) #

sw

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In article <341f892a...@news.uni-stuttgart.de>, Cornelius Goetz
von Olenhusen wrote:

>On 17 Sep 1997 05:50:24 GMT, sti...@eyrie.org (Eric Sturgeon) wrote:
>
>As for the Holy Grail.... I think reserving that is a bit of a dumb idea, Tom.
>So what if there were two of them around? One could be a duplicate, or from
>another dimension or whatever. It's the Looniverse, for heavens sake!

<outrageous French accent> Ah tol' zem we already got one!

--
"Venemous, yet coherent and very humerous..." -- Trace Stevens
"You are a Dense Knocker..." -- cyberMessiah

David Van Domelen

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

Cornelius Goetz von Olenhusen <in5...@public.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>On 17 Sep 1997 05:50:24 GMT, sti...@eyrie.org (Eric Sturgeon) wrote:

>>off. Personal attacks on other authors, especially ones like Dvandom,
>>who've been around forever or nearly enough and have proven their
>>abilities over time and have actually earned the respect accorded
>>them, are especially ungood and show a staggering lack of intelligence
>>the likes of which I haven't seen since Jesse Willey.
>

>Whoa! Let's not jump to conclusions here. I admit you could interpret it that
>way, but I really don't think Tom meant to insult Dvandom. At least give him
>the benefit of the doubt, okay?

Indeed. I'd defend Tom's intentions here, but he already posted to
clarify (besides, "Devolvo Farce" sounds more like one of Rawluk's earlier
ideas. }->).

>As for the Holy Grail.... I think reserving that is a bit of a dumb idea, Tom.
>So what if there were two of them around? One could be a duplicate, or from
>another dimension or whatever. It's the Looniverse, for heavens sake!

Another danger in reserving the Holy Grail is that, well, Arthurian
Legend has been done in the LNH, at least once, if not several times.
Sig.Lad and Acton Lord are, for example, the current embodiments of Arthur
and Modred (with a twist of course, but see Constellation #14-16 for more).
Which makes Dvandom Force the modern Knights of the Round Table, and if I
continue this metaphor too much farther my head may explode (and I'm not even
*in* the RACCCafe right now!).
OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
messing with that (Rawluk's a good bet, though, with his JSA fannishness).

Dave Van Domelen, "And thus did the soldier pierce Christ's side with a
spoon..." "Why not a spear?" "Because it would HURT more!"

TIFFER003

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

> OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
>reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
>messing with that

What is the Spear Of Destiny?

Oh, and by the way:

Why does cheese smell bad?

What was the Concil Of Elder's debate?

Where can I find a ready- to -read Contellation archive, much like Dave's
Dvandom Force archive?

What wasthe first appearance/ origin of Irony Man, exactly? Is there a how
to write guide?

Would anyone care to repost said origin?

Is it just me, or is Omega Week being overdone? I do realize its Omega
Week, but they are posting/reposting more than *I* do!

Should I declare a Teenfactor week and present issues 8-14 in one week?

Will anybody answer above questions?

What is JSA, anyway?

Will anybody answer the question below "Will anybody answer above
questions" but above this one?

Will anybody notice my new quote? It's from Shakespear.

"And will he not come again?
And will he not come again?
No,no, he is dead;
Go to thy deathbed;
He never will come again."
--Ophelia, The Tragedy Of Hamlet, ACT IV, Scene V, Lines 204-208
http://members.aol.com/TIFFER003/lnh.html

rsf...@uncg.edu

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In article <19970918203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, tiff...@aol.com
(TIFFER003) writes:

>> OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
>>reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
>>messing with that
>
>What is the Spear Of Destiny?

Also known as the Spear of Longinus, it's the piece of military hardware that
was used to jab ol'J.C. in the ribs way back when on Calvary.

>Oh, and by the way:
>
>Why does cheese smell bad?

It's basically rotting milk; what would you expect?

>What was the Concil Of Elder's debate?

Well, it was a discussion as to whether conch chowder was *really* an
aphrodisiac or not.

>Where can I find a ready- to -read Contellation archive, much like Dave's
>Dvandom Force archive?

Eyrie?

>What wasthe first appearance/ origin of Irony Man, exactly? Is there a how
>to write guide?

Someone thought him up! (to paraphrase Giffen.) Yes, it's called _The Elements
of Style_, by Strunk and White.

>Would anyone care to repost said origin?

No.

>Is it just me, or is Omega Week being overdone? I do realize its Omega
>Week, but they are posting/reposting more than *I* do!

Yes.

>Should I declare a Teenfactor week and present issues 8-14 in one week?

No.

>Will anybody answer above questions?

Yes.

>What is JSA, anyway?

The Justice Society of America. DC's Golden Age team (after the All-Star
Squadron.)

>Will anybody answer the question below "Will anybody answer above
>questions" but above this one?

Yes.

>Will anybody notice my new quote? It's from Shakespear.

No.

>"And will he not come again?
>And will he not come again?
>No,no, he is dead;
>Go to thy deathbed;
>He never will come again."

She was just being depressed.

---
Rob Furr's .sig is at http://www.uncg.edu/~rsfurr/

Ben Rawluk

Sep 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/18/97

In a previous article, Dvandom says:

First off, some annoying, pointless banter: Wahoo! Mentioned twice in a post!

And now, for something "completely" on topic.

>>Whoa! Let's not jump to conclusions here. I admit you could interpret it that
>>way, but I really don't think Tom meant to insult Dvandom. At least give him
>>the benefit of the doubt, okay?
> Indeed. I'd defend Tom's intentions here, but he already posted to
>clarify (besides, "Devolvo Farce" sounds more like one of Rawluk's earlier
>ideas. }->).

Well, considering some of the stuff hanging around Looniearth-B.

>>As for the Holy Grail.... I think reserving that is a bit of a dumb idea, Tom.
>>So what if there were two of them around? One could be a duplicate, or from
>>another dimension or whatever. It's the Looniverse, for heavens sake!
> Another danger in reserving the Holy Grail is that, well, Arthurian
>Legend has been done in the LNH, at least once, if not several times.
>Sig.Lad and Acton Lord are, for example, the current embodiments of Arthur
>and Modred (with a twist of course, but see Constellation #14-16 for more).
>Which makes Dvandom Force the modern Knights of the Round Table, and if I
>continue this metaphor too much farther my head may explode (and I'm not even
>*in* the RACCCafe right now!).

Actually, it occurs to me than that you should make use of that "Once and
Future King" thing concerning Arthur, Dvand. :)

On the subject of the Holy Grail, not only is it Arthurian, but it has
definite religious implications if you try to make it the same as the
"Real" Holy Grail (Whether or not it really exists is a debate for
another newsgroup) shouldn't maybe deal with it? Writers AND God
controlling the Looniverse would certainly be...paradoxical.

> OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
>reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been

>messing with that (Rawluk's a good bet, though, with his JSA fannishness).

Nope, I haven't done that. Mind you, I'd go with 'Spork of Destiny.' One
of those spoon/fork combos.

Mind you, all this talk of the JSA, Looniearth-B, and my early stuff
*shiver*, I should actually get around to some stuff involving in that.

> Dave Van Domelen, "And thus did the soldier pierce Christ's side with a
>spoon..." "Why not a spear?" "Because it would HURT more!"

Ben

Michael Friedman

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <5vs5ru$a...@frodo.pgfn.bc.ca>, Ben Rawluk <ad...@pgfn.bc.ca> wrote:
>Nope, I haven't done that. Mind you, I'd go with 'Spork of Destiny.' One
>of those spoon/fork combos.

No, that's my idea. Trux has a "soulspork" ... people might get
confused. Then again, I haven't posted anything new in God knows
how long ...

- Mike, has RACC-burnout.

--
Michael D. Friedman | "You tried your best, and you failed miserably.
PROUD *PITT* ALUMNUS | The lesson is: never try." - Homer Simpson.

Michael Friedman

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <34211e03...@news.uni-stuttgart.de>,

Cornelius Goetz von Olenhusen <in5...@public.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>On 18 Sep 1997 00:49:58 GMT, dva...@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu (David Van

>Domelen) wrote:
>>clarify (besides, "Devolvo Farce" sounds more like one of Rawluk's earlier
>>ideas. }->).
>
>It sounds like a talking gorillas version of Dvandom Force....

Actually, I was thinking about a group of guys that rode around in
Swedish automobiles. Then they could form one giant robot. :)

- Mike, the White Volvo Ranger.

David Van Domelen

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

I strongly suspect this set of answers will appear in the same approval
batch as another set (Rawluk pass up a JSA question? Ha!), but here goes
anyway.

TIFFER003 <tiff...@aol.com> wrote:
>> OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
>>reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
>>messing with that
>

>What is the Spear Of Destiny?

The spear used to pierce the side of Jesus as He languished on the
cross, to make sure he was dead. It's a powerful item in Christian Mythology
(this is not a contradiction in terms, BTW...Christian Mythology is the set
of myths which has grown up around figures from the Bible, but which is not
part of mainstream belief, like the Spear or the Grail etc), often appearing
in conjunction with Hitler's obsession with mysticism. In the All-Star
Squadron (I think), it was explained that the reason the powerhouses of DC's
WWII comics like Superman didn't win the war was because Hitler used the
Spear of Destiny to set up a mystic field around Axis territory, which would
cause the more powerful heroes to be turned to the side of the Axis if they
entered Axis lands.

>Oh, and by the way:
>
>Why does cheese smell bad?

It's got mold and stuff in it. Stuff we shouldn't eat in large
quantities, but which has largely been removed from the cheese leaving only
the smelly chemicals.

>What was the Concil Of Elder's debate?

At one point during the second major wave of new writers, someone (I
can't recall for sure, maybe Scav) set up this idea of a Council of Elders,
senior writers who could act as...something. What that "something" would be,
if anything, was up for debate, and some people found the whole idea rather
elitist.

>Where can I find a ready- to -read Contellation archive, much like Dave's
>Dvandom Force archive?

The ftp.eyrie.org archives are fairly ready to read. Just leave off the
.gz suffix on a file and it'll automatically unzip for you.

>What wasthe first appearance/ origin of Irony Man, exactly? Is there a how
>to write guide?

Irony Man is one of the original pre-collaborative-fiction LNHers from
the Spring of 1992. He appeared before there were stories to appear in.

>Would anyone care to repost said origin?

Not sure he has one. A lot of the older ones don't, because you didn't
need them back then, and the creators have since left without appointing
anyone as caretakers. The general consensus has been not to mess around too
much with the rest of the original LNHers without permission from the
creators.

>Is it just me, or is Omega Week being overdone? I do realize its Omega
>Week, but they are posting/reposting more than *I* do!

Not my department.

>Should I declare a Teenfactor week and present issues 8-14 in one week?

Please, no. Reposts are okay at high volume, but initial posts should
stay reasonably spread apart to avoid scaring off readers.

>Will anybody answer above questions?

No.

>What is JSA, anyway?

Justice Society of America. The original superhero team.

>Will anybody answer the question below "Will anybody answer above
>questions" but above this one?

No.

>Will anybody notice my new quote? It's from Shakespear.

Shakespeare wants to talk to you about using his characters without
asking first.

Dave Van Domelen, should be reviewing....

Ben Rawluk

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

>> OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a
>>reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
>>messing with that
>What is the Spear Of Destiny?

I don't know the biblical origins of the spear (Was it supposed to be the
spear used on Christ?), but during the 1940s, DC Comics employed it as a
mystical weapon in the possession of Hitler, which allowed him to gain
power of mystical or mystically-vulnerable heroes who came calling --
effectively preventing the Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, et al
from punching his lights out.

>Oh, and by the way:
>Why does cheese smell bad?

Because its a poor man's Cheez.

>What was the Concil Of Elder's debate?

... Before my time, but I gather there was some kind of council of the
Elders in the early days of the LNH, and people later, after it was
broken up, debated whether it was needed.

>Where can I find a ready- to -read Contellation archive, much like Dave's
>Dvandom Force archive?

Eyrie!

>Will anybody answer above questions?

Maybe.

>What is JSA, anyway?

Sacreligious pig-dog! :) The JSA is the Justice Society of America,
WWII's Greatest Heroes joined together! Good god, read some DC Comics, man!

>Will anybody notice my new quote? It's from Shakespear.

Shakespeare. And, watch out, or I shall be forced to add a quote from
Dante. :P

Hadruak

Sep 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/19/97

In article <5vse2p$a...@eyrie.org>, Michael Friedman
<hri...@spamsux.eyrie.org> writes:

>No, that's my idea. Trux has a "soulspork" ... people might get
>confused. Then again, I haven't posted anything new in God knows
>how long ...

Ha! I have you beat! I haven't posted any new stories in almost 2 years!

Wait... maybe I shouldn't be proud of that....

Hmm... well, maybe I should work on the next issue of Surreal Tales
after all...

Specter

Sean Daugherty

Sep 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/20/97

On or about 19 Sep 1997 02:07:57 GMT, the accused, ad...@pgfn.bc.ca (Ben
Rawluk), was spotted saying:

>I don't know the biblical origins of the spear (Was it supposed to be the
>spear used on Christ?), but during the 1940s, DC Comics employed it as a
>mystical weapon in the possession of Hitler, which allowed him to gain
>power of mystical or mystically-vulnerable heroes who came calling --
>effectively preventing the Green Lantern, Superman, Wonder Woman, et al
>from punching his lights out.

I don't believe the Spear has biblical origins, per se. I believe (but
my biblical knowledge is very sketchy, I may be Lutheran by birth, but
I'm actually more of an agnostic...) it's part of the semi-mythical
legends surrounding it, a la the Holy Grail. And it was a cop-out answer
for the hero problem, anyway.

>Sacreligious pig-dog! :) The JSA is the Justice Society of America,
>WWII's Greatest Heroes joined together! Good god, read some DC Comics, man!

And, BTW, still the third best superhero group out there (right behind
two others who both, incidentally, go by the name "Legion", and I ain't
talking about no immensely silly Superman supporting cast, at that.
Figure it out <G>). If I ever see Dan Jurgens on the street, I'm going
to have to have a word with him about Zero Hour...

------
Sean Christian Daugherty
"They hurt you at home
And they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever
And they despise a fool..."
- John Lennon, "Working Class Hero"
ALL UNSOLICITED E-MAILERS WILL BE SHOT ON SITE!

Matthew Andrew William Thomas Rossi III

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

TIFFER003 (tiff...@aol.com) wrote:
: > OTOH, the Spoon of Destiny sounds much better suited to be a

: >reincarnation of the Spear of Destiny, and I don't know if anyone's been
: >messing with that
:
: What is the Spear Of Destiny?

The Spear of Destiny, aka the Spear of Longinus, is the spear that pierced
Christ's side during his crucifixion. It is now rumored to contain the
power to control the fate of the wielder.

:
: Oh, and by the way:

:
: Why does cheese smell bad?

Because cheese goes bad in order to become cheese. that's bacteria you are
smelling.

:
: What was the Concil Of Elder's debate?

A whole debate between the higher ups in the LNH

:
: Where can I find a ready- to -read Contellation archive, much like Dave's
: Dvandom Force archive?

Just go to the RACC archive, look in the LNH files, and when you are
trying to open the files in question, type their name in without the .gz
attachment.

:
: What wasthe first appearance/ origin of Irony Man, exactly? Is there a how
: to write guide?
:
: Would anyone care to repost said origin?
:
: Is it just me, or is Omega Week being overdone? I do realize its Omega

: Week, but they are posting/reposting more than *I* do!

It's just you. Next week is a big event, and you should read the reposts to
understand the events. Plus, let's face it, those are some DAMN good stories,
even if I did write some of them myself.

:
: Should I declare a Teenfactor week and present issues 8-14 in one week?

Why? Have you won a shitload of rACCIES? We have. Seriously, are you doing
anything with Teenfactor that would make it neccesary to repost them?

:
: Will anybody answer above questions?

I will, if I feel like it.

:
: What is JSA, anyway?

Justice Society of America. Old DC comic. Before your time. Originally
published in the 1940's.

:
: Will anybody answer the question below "Will anybody answer above

: questions" but above this one?

Apparently so.

:
: Will anybody notice my new quote? It's from Shakespear.

That's neat. I never heard of him. Who was he? He certainly wasn't all
that famous. Must be because his name was spelled so much like
Shakespeare's.

:
: "And will he not come again?

: And will he not come again?
: No,no, he is dead;
: Go to thy deathbed;
: He never will come again."

: --Ophelia, The Tragedy Of Hamlet, ACT IV, Scene V, Lines 204-208
: http://members.aol.com/TIFFER003/lnh.html

That's nice.

Badger

Matthew Andrew William Thomas Rossi III

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

Eric Sturgeon (sti...@eyrie.org) wrote:
:
[...]

Wow, Stirge, I haven't seen you this mad since...
Actually, have I *ever* seen you this mad?
Yikes, what ever happened to that mild tempered
Shotgun wielding lunatic I used ta know?

:
: Just go the hell away, will you?

Apparently he got mad. Again, yikes. This kid Tiffer003 must be REAL
annoying. "Diseased Hyena drippings?"

:
:
:
: Eric "Stirge" Sturgeon

Matthew "Diseased Hyena Drippings?" Rossi

Eric Sturgeon

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

In article <601n90$mnr$2...@nntp.Stanford.EDU>,

Matthew Andrew William Thomas Rossi III <bad...@eyrie.org> wrote:
>Wow, Stirge, I haven't seen you this mad since...
>Actually, have I *ever* seen you this mad?
>Yikes, what ever happened to that mild tempered
>Shotgun wielding lunatic I used ta know?

He was overwhelmed by the massive wave of sheer unreasoning stupidty
the group has been assaulted with in the past couple of months, mainly
at the hands of TIFFER and Jesse Willey, with a helping hand from
Chris Ireland, although he at least had the good sense to go away when
it became clear that he was pissing everybody off.

>: Just go the hell away, will you?
>
>Apparently he got mad. Again, yikes. This kid Tiffer003 must be REAL
>annoying. "Diseased Hyena drippings?"

I mean it. This guy's writing is such utter crap that "diseased hyena
droppings" was probably a compliment. He is totally and completely
without redeeming features, a puking little whiner who writes shit and
then when people don't instantly hail him as the best thing ever to
hit the world of writing complains and deliberately does stuff that he
knows will piss people off just so they'll notice him. He's an
attention-starved prima donna little punk who, just because he
apparently won some award of some kind for poetry, thinks that he can
write prose equally well, when in reality prose and poetry are
completely different and require different skill. People who have no
reason to lie to me have told me in the past that I can string a few
words together into a coherent sentence, but I know for a fact that I
can't write poetry. So I don't try. And if I did try, then when people
either failed to comment or told me it was bad, I wouldn't fucking
whine about the fact, and if they happened to offer some actual
constructive critiscism, as some people did for Mr. Tiffer, I would
listen to what they had to say, instead of complaining about that.

Another annoying thing about him is that he treats his little pearls
of wisdom as though they were the word of god or something, and gets
violently upset at even the possibility of someone using any of his
precious little characters, despite the fact that no one would want
to, since they're all just names and powers without the slightest bit
of personality, and also despite the fact that he doesn't seem to feel
any such compunction.

Well, I'm done being nasty, since I can't seem to think of any way to
be funny at the same time, which is, after all, the point of flames.

Eric "Stirge" Sturgeon

TIFFER003

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

>Being deliberately inflammatory is *not* *good

I realize that.

>Negative
>: attention is not better than no attention.

Duh.

>, but no one is paying to read the diseased hyena
>: droppings you like to call stories

I'll admit my stories aren't as good as some others here, but give a
little credit. I mean, C'mon! It's not *that* bad. Cow droppings, or mad
cow droppings,maybe, but not diseased hyena droppings.

I know everyone is ignoring me. I'm sorry for past mistakes. I write this
because I like to write, and there are a few people whom are actually
interested in my stuff. I really don't try to piss off people. I am not
making a personal attack on anyone.

>your readership is entirely based
>: on the enjoyment you can provide people with, and since readership is
>: what you claim to want, you should take pains not to piss people
>: off.

I wasn't trying. I never try to piss people off. I try to give my best
writing the best I can, and maybe someday be accepted by someone here. But
I know that's not going to happen. It seems I am fated forever to be a
newbie, a hasbeen before his kind. Oh well. I'm just writing. I want
readership, true, but I like to write and that's why I do it.

>This kid Tiffer003 must be REAL
>annoying.

So I'm annoying, now? You may think my writing is dreck, you may think I'm
some ignorant newbie, but annoying? I just try too hard. I'm sure everybody
started out writing bad, and got better. I mean, I've been around for about
4 months.

THere's a lot of writing here I think was bad... and I usually say so.
Continuity aside, I personally found IReland's work amusing. Not the best,
but amusing.

I would love to flame you back for calling my work crap with no reason
behind it, but I don't do that. Here's my point, Stirge; if any of you want
to say that my work is a load of crap, give me reasons. Specific reasons,
with examples, maybe? I don't know... I beleive I learned that back in
Elementry School, you know, that boring Topic,
support,detail,detail,support,detail,detail, thing?

I'll give Stirge an example by reveiwing his work "Godboy" (which, I
think, reminds me slightly of SNL's Adventures Of Young God):

The plot was pretty amusing, actually, but took much too long to develop.
This whole thing could of been in one issue, actually. While the fourth
wall is often times a gimmick, it seemed all too convulted for me. I'm
having trouble finding out Godboy's character, as of there is little
characterization. Perhaps next issue will be a bit longer, and better...

Now, Stirge, dare you to reveiw one of the issues of my new series like
that, instead of, say:

Your work is crap. Go the hell away. The desased droppings you try to pass
off as stories seem to be just a random arrangement of words in lines to
fill up space.

Can you see the difference?

I hope you didn't take this the wrong way. My point, in a nutshell(or
coconut shell) is that if you don't like someone's work,don't tell them
that you don't like it; tell them why.

Oh, and I'm not leaving. I going to keep trying as hard as possible. Who
knows? Maybe some newbie will read it, like it, and I'll have a new
victi---reader.

Jeff McCoskey

Sep 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/21/97

In article <60290o$t...@eyrie.org>,

sti...@eyrie.org (Eric Sturgeon) wrote:
>I mean it. This guy's writing is such utter crap that "diseased hyena
>droppings" was probably a compliment. He is totally and completely
>without redeeming features, a puking little whiner who writes shit and
>then when people don't instantly hail him as the best thing ever to
>hit the world of writing complains and deliberately does stuff that he
>knows will piss people off just so they'll notice him.

Look, Stirge, I respect the hell out of you on most things. (Not
many guys will up and move because they feel like it, with no safety net.)
But we don't need this here.

Rob Furr wrote a blistering critique of Tom's stuff waaaay back
when, but at the heart of it all, he gave actual useful ideas and tips to
Tom. What TIFFER did with them is really immaterial -- Rob tried to blast
through the annoying "look at me's" and get Tom to write better. Which is
so on-topic it stings.

This is unamusing, unhelpful, and uncalled for. And frankly,
unworthy of you. We've all got shitty writing in our past. You, me,
Dave, I'm sure even Paul Hardy's got a rotter or two buried on his hard
drive. It doesn't help anyone to pile excremental adjectives on RACC
writing, and it really casts a pall on the alleged 'friendly atmosphere to
share writing.'. You and RudeJohn have administered drive-bys with no aim
but to belittle a creative effort. That's not what RACC is for. We have
and can tolerate bad writing. We _can't_ tolerate a hostile creative
environment.

Yeah, TIFFER's immature and done inflammatory things. He's been
flamed. We get it. Most of us are ignoring him anyway. But he's
writing, dammit, and that's why we're here. Tell him where he crossed the
line nettiquette-wise. But leave the value-judgements behind your eyes
unless there's constructive stuff with it.

That's all. JJMcC

Rude John

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

And lo, there was much rejoicing among the people when
tiff...@aol.com (TIFFER003) had written:

...snip...

> Duh.

> >, but no one is paying to read the diseased hyena
> >: droppings you like to call stories

Tom, this is yet another fine example of "constructive" <wink, wink>
criticism which must be taken in "context" <nudge, nudge> to be
appreciated, or even understood.

And I wish I had said it first.

C'ya,
Rude John
"I'm rude. Shove off!"
====
};o) rude...@ptd.SYZYGY.net (remove SYZYGY.)
====
}:op rude...@smart.SYZYGY.net (remove SYZYGY.)
====
}:o( "The first draft of anything is shit." -- Hemingway
====

Eric Sturgeon

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

Okay, first off, I'd like to apologize, partially to Tom, but mainly
to RACC as a whole. What I posted last night was more or less an ad
hominem attack with no real basis other than that I had a splitting
headache and was in an extremely bad mood about other things. Not that
I didn't mean it, but I shouldn't have posted it. At most I should
have mailed it, but really I should have just kept it to
myself. Sorry. Won't happen again. Of course, if I can think of a
*funny* way to flame, I'll probably go ahead and do that, but I won't
be posting anymore flames that are just vicious without anything but a
bad mood and a personal dislike behind them.

In article <19970921133...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

TIFFER003 <tiff...@aol.com> wrote:
>I would love to flame you back for calling my work crap with no reason
>behind it, but I don't do that. Here's my point, Stirge; if any of you want
>to say that my work is a load of crap, give me reasons. Specific reasons,
>with examples, maybe? I don't know... I beleive I learned that back in
>Elementry School, you know, that boring Topic,
>support,detail,detail,support,detail,detail, thing?

Well, actually, I'm not a constructive critic, just a critical
one. I'm not all that great a writer myself, so I don't really feel
comfortable giving other people advice about it. I do, however, know
what I don't like, and I feel no real compunction about telling people
that I don't like it, although generally I'll just ignore it unless it
really pisses me off. I'm just not good at giving reasons.

>I'll give Stirge an example by reveiwing his work "Godboy" (which, I
>think, reminds me slightly of SNL's Adventures Of Young God):
>
>The plot was pretty amusing, actually, but took much too long to develop.
>This whole thing could of been in one issue, actually. While the fourth
>wall is often times a gimmick, it seemed all too convulted for me. I'm
>having trouble finding out Godboy's character, as of there is little
>characterization. Perhaps next issue will be a bit longer, and better...

Er...You seem to have missed the point. This was deliberately as bad
as I could make it. This was a parody of a specific style of
writing. Er...Inspired a bit by your own work, if you must
know. Although mostly not.

>Now, Stirge, dare you to reveiw one of the issues of my new series like
>that, instead of, say:
>
>Your work is crap. Go the hell away. The desased droppings you try to pass
>off as stories seem to be just a random arrangement of words in lines to
>fill up space.
>
>Can you see the difference?

I can see the difference. I'm just not a reviewer. I'm just an
opinionated bastard.

>Oh, and I'm not leaving. I going to keep trying as hard as possible. Who
>knows? Maybe some newbie will read it, like it, and I'll have a new
>victi---reader.

Good for you. Never listen to people like me. We're all just a bunch
of assholes trying to rain on people's parades. Keep trying your
hardest to improve, and you'll get there eventually. Just make sure
you *do* listen to people like Rob Furr, who actually know how to
write, and, further, how to give constructive criticism.

Eric "Stirge" Sturgeon

Michael Friedman

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

In article <602ijg$f...@sjx-ixn5.ix.netcom.com>,

Jeff McCoskey <jj...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Yeah, TIFFER's immature and done inflammatory things. He's been
>flamed. We get it. Most of us are ignoring him anyway. But he's
>writing, dammit, and that's why we're here. Tell him where he crossed the
>line nettiquette-wise. But leave the value-judgements behind your eyes
>unless there's constructive stuff with it.

Besides, he's not all bad. I've seen glimmers of good writing, which
is why I allowed him some turns at Los Bastardos. Read #6 and 7 (#8 is
on the way, I promise), and you may be pleasantly surprised. Sure, its
not great, but they are good enough that I'm not afraid of putting my
name on it as well.

I will admit that Tom has been rather immature at times, but it is
something we're gonna have to get used to. We're not all college-age
and up anymore now that the net has expanded. I'm pretty sure Tom is
only in high school. I see some stuff that I wrote in high school and
realize how dumb a lot of it was.

- Mike, resting for the defense.

Rude John

Sep 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/22/97

And lo, there was much wincing among the people when sti...@eyrie.org
(Eric Sturgeon) had written:

...snip...

> I mean it. This guy's writing is such utter crap that "diseased hyena
> droppings" was probably a compliment. He is totally and completely
> without redeeming features, a puking little whiner who writes shit and

"puking little whiner who writes shit" Hm. Is this an example of the
constructive_criticism_which_must_be_taken_in_the_proper_context that
I've been hearing so much about?
Corny?
Eag?
Anyone?

This is very confusing. In what _context_ should I view "puking little
whiner who writes shit" so as to extract its constructive elements?

...snip...

> Well, I'm done being nasty, since I can't seem to think of any way to
> be funny at the same time, which is, after all, the point of flames.

Uh. Okay. Ever hear of alt.flames? I've been directed there myself a
few times for making much less fervent remarks. But then, I'm only a
reader on racc, and who wants them hanging around, eh? I mean, to hear
them talk, you'd think Usenet was open to the public or something.
Silly peasants.

Anyway, I'd like to thank Eric for showing me the error of my ways.
After reading his little rant, I can appreciate how ugly and pointless
this sort of diatribe truly is. Hopefully, I will remember Eric's post
the next time I feel the irresistible urge to kick someone in their
Usenet jewels. You really do end up looking the fool, don't you?

Thanks again, Eric. You've cured me.

> Eric "Stirge" Sturgeon

Oh, and don't worry Stirge, I'll still read your posts. I might smirk
a little, but I'll still be reading them.

John "Rude" McElroy

>>===> DELETE This Line and Everything Below It When Replying! <===<<

MAIL.1: rude...@ptd.SYZYGY.net (remove SYZYGY.)
MAIL.2: rude...@smart.SYZYGY.net (remove SYZYGY.)

READ everything posted to news.announce.newusers
POST questions about Usenet to news.newusers.questions
TESTS should only be posted to misc.test or alt.test

>>===> RudeJohn Appends This Notice To Every Post by RudeJohn <===<<

Sean Daugherty

Sep 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/23/97

On or about 22 Sep 1997 16:20:45 GMT, the accused,
rude...@ptd.SYZYGY.net (Rude John), was spotted saying:

>"puking little whiner who writes shit" Hm. Is this an example of the
>constructive_criticism_which_must_be_taken_in_the_proper_context that
>I've been hearing so much about?
>Corny?
>Eag?
>Anyone?

Nope. Feel free to flame 'im (I'm *joking*, people!). This is precisely
what we're trying to avoid.

>This is very confusing. In what _context_ should I view "puking little
>whiner who writes shit" so as to extract its constructive elements?

Well, start by not viewing him as "puking little whiner who writes shit"
and start thinking along the lines of how he could improve. It's a
start, if nothing else.

------
Sean Christian Daugherty
"Long live all of us crazy soliders