CONTEST: High Concept Challenge #9: The Red Planet

Saxon Brenton

May 4, 2010, 4:31:55 PM5/4/10

I won? Very well then, two responses:

Firstly: it's MINE! The previous two times I was tied with someone
else, but this time it's *all mine*! Bwahahahaha!

Secondly: uhm, okay. Not to seem ungrateful, but I wasn't expecting
that. As I said in the notes, I just took the Concept and used
it to hang a generic superhero story on it. Perfectly good story;
worked better than the previous time I took that route; but if I
had been asked to bet money I would have laid it on Tom's story.

Anyway. <bows deeply> Thank you all.

And now the Concept for the 9th Challenge. I've spent the day toying
with ideas, and have settled on 'the red planet'.

You may interpret this however you like. The phrase is typically
used as an epithet for Mars, but it could be any planet with some sort
of red colour. And not just physical colour: perhaps a world dominated
by communism, or some other social or religious movement that uses that
colour; or a world given over to blood-drenched warfare. Or maybe
something completely off the wall, like an alternate history where the
Spanish conquistadors caught a disease off the native Americans which
brought Europe to its knees and the Earth is now dominated by 'redskin'
Aztecs.

Expirey date will be... lessee, three and a bit weeks from now will put
it at Sunday 30th May.

Go play, have fun.

---
Saxon Brenton

View photos of singles in your area! Looking for a hot date?

Andrew Perron

May 5, 2010, 1:56:12 AM5/5/10
On Tue, 4 May 2010 20:31:55 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> Or maybe
> something completely off the wall, like an alternate history where the
> Spanish conquistadors caught a disease off the native Americans which
> brought Europe to its knees and the Earth is now dominated by 'redskin'
> Aztecs.

Man, what was *in* those cacao beans?

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, totally has the Jolt City paperback.
It's impressive!

Tom Russell

May 5, 2010, 3:53:32 PM5/5/10
On May 4, 4:31 pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Secondly: uhm, okay. Not to seem ungrateful, but I wasn't expecting
> that. As I said in the notes, I just took the Concept and used
> it to hang a generic superhero story on it. Perfectly good story;
> worked better than the previous time I took that route; but if I
> had been asked to bet money I would have laid it on Tom's story.

That's very kind, Saxon.

> And now the Concept for the 9th Challenge. I've spent the day toying
> with ideas, and have settled on 'the red planet'.

Cool concept, one that kept me up all night world-building. Here's
hoping some of that effort finds its way into an actual story. :-)

On May 5, 1:56�am, Andrew Perron <pwer...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, totally has the Jolt City paperback.
> It's impressive!

Also very kind, thank you.

==Tom

Saxon Brenton

May 5, 2010, 7:38:30 PM5/5/10

On Weds 5/May/2010 Tom Russell replied:

>> As I said in the notes, I just took the Concept and used it to
>> hang a generic superhero story on it. Perfectly good story; worked
>> better than the previous time I took that route; but if I had been
>> asked to bet money I would have laid it on Tom's story.
>
> That's very kind, Saxon.

Possibly, even probably - but further reflection makes me suspect that
it may also be me being reactionary. As in: while I like my story I
also think it's a good-but-run-of-the-mill example of superheroism genre;
and it may be that while I enjoyed _Journey Into..._ #11 (for a number
of reasons, which I'll go into in the EoMR) my real reason for
automatically assuming that it would win was that it was so different to
standard superheroics. In other words, on a subconscious level I was
reacting against what I had produced, and by coincidence what you had
produced was just the right antithesis at just the right moment.

>> And now the Concept for the 9th Challenge. I've spent the day toying
>> with ideas, and have settled on 'the red planet'.
>
> Cool concept, one that kept me up all night world-building. Here's
> hoping some of that effort finds its way into an actual story. :-)

I spent most of Tuesday thinking about what to nominate as a concept. I
think I was influenced a lot by the latest Diane Duane 'Young Wizards'
novel _A Wizard of Mars_, which has a sequence where a series of
illusonary tests are activated, and the forms the illusions take are
influenced by the minds of four different characters. The first creates
a scene based on a *very* B-movie SF pulp film one character had seen
on TV as a child; the second recast the Orson Wells radio play so that
the characters were fighting Martian tripods in modern New Jersey; the
fourth illusion was a brief glimpse of Marvin the Martian. The third
illusion created a Martian civilisation similar to Barsoom, which covered
a complex trap that drove the plot for the rest of the novel. All told
a rather good parallel for the High Concept Challenge.

Then after I had posted the concept, I started getting story ideas.
Something with Ares, but I don't think it will fit in the LNH. The LNH
never realy had a Dark Age/Iron Age...

---
Saxon Brenton
...scheming...

Browse profiles for FREE! Meet local singles online.
http://clk.atdmt.com/NMN/go/150855801/direct/01/

Dave Van Domelen

May 5, 2010, 8:14:17 PM5/5/10
In article <hrsvhm$ddo$1...@usenet-its.stanford.edu>,

Saxon Brenton <saxonb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Then after I had posted the concept, I started getting story ideas.
>Something with Ares, but I don't think it will fit in the LNH. The LNH
>never realy had a Dark Age/Iron Age...

No, it had/has a Beige Age.

Dave Van Domelen, still got no inspiration for this one, but is in the
middle of ASH #106 anyway.

Phantasm

May 5, 2010, 8:16:50 PM5/5/10
On May 5, 7:38�pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Then after I had posted the concept, I started getting story ideas.
> Something with Ares, but I don't think it will fit in the LNH. �The LNH
> never realy had a Dark Age/Iron Age...

But I believe it did have a Dork Age, didn't it? That should give you
something to think about.

As it is, my current ideas for it involve a mishmash of Buffy Season 5
and the movie Total Recall. Not sure how it's going to play out.

Mary Russell

May 5, 2010, 9:10:05 PM5/5/10
On May 5, 8:16 pm, Phantasm <phantom_belc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As it is, my current ideas for it involve a mishmash of Buffy Season 5
> and the movie Total Recall.  Not sure how it's going to play out.

Mine is teenage hellcat Amazons from Mars fighting dinosaurs.

==Tom, "Dibs!"

Tom Russell

May 5, 2010, 9:39:42 PM5/5/10
On May 5, 9:10�pm, Mary Russell <giraffi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Er, um...

This is what happens when the internet browser has your wife's google
account always set as the default.

==Tom

Scott Eiler

May 6, 2010, 9:41:28 AM5/6/10

I don't think I can beat that one, but I do have a couple of plot
elements sitting on Mars, and they probably need to meet each other.

Andrew Perron

May 7, 2010, 9:28:37 AM5/7/10
On Wed, 5 May 2010 23:38:30 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> Then after I had posted the concept, I started getting story ideas.
> Something with Ares, but I don't think it will fit in the LNH. The LNH
> never realy had a Dark Age/Iron Age...

The LNH never did, but after thinking this over for a while, I'd argue that
RACC did. Not in the "BLUDDSHOT #1 COLLECTOR'S EDITION NOW WITH LESS
FEET!!!" sense, but in the sense of a time where Serious Stories were held
as superior to Silly Stuff such as the LNH, and where Cerebus Syndrome was
seen as the ultimate goal of every writer. Thankfully, it's far more
balanced now.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, brappa-bah-bah-bap-bah-bah