CONTEST: High Concept Challenge #6 - Olympics

1 view

Dave Van Domelen

Mar 1, 2010, 5:45:02 PM3/1/10
Well, the Winter Olympics are over, which seems as good an inspiration
as any for the next HCC. Plenty of superheroes have the Olympics in their
origin stories (several archery heroes, a fencer in Southern Knights, etc) or
have competed in the Olympics in their civilian IDs after becoming
superheroes (Arrowette, for one).
So, after the rather restrictive concept #5, here's a nice open one:
write about a superhero's involvement with the Olympic Games (ancient or
modern, summer or winter, as backstory or frontstory).

The deadline is the end of the day March 20 (11:59:59 PM Central time).

Dave Van Domelen, notes that Nickelback doesn't count as a villain
group. Barely.

Dave Van Domelen

Mar 1, 2010, 6:27:59 PM3/1/10
D'oh. #7, not #6.

Dave Van Domelen, the agony of defeat.

Saxon Brenton

Mar 1, 2010, 9:24:02 PM3/1/10

Dvandom announced the HCC7 theme:

> So, after the rather restrictive concept #5, here's a nice open one:
> write about a superhero's involvement with the Olympic Games (ancient or
> modern, summer or winter, as backstory or frontstory).

Oh, I know just the thing. I've had a piece of silliness about the 2000 Sydney Olympics floating around in the back of my head, about when all those migratory bogong moths invaded the stadium.

Which means I have to write the next issue of _Limp-Asparagus Lad_...

Thank goodness I'm going to have two 7 hour train trips, up and back to a family reunion, this weekend, yes?

---
Saxon Brenton

Link all your email accounts and social updates with Hotmail. Find out now
http://windowslive.ninemsn.com.au/oneinbox?ocid=T162MSN05A0710G

Scott Eiler

Mar 1, 2010, 10:58:40 PM3/1/10
On Mar 1, 8:24 pm, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dvandom announced the HCC7 theme:
>
> > So, after the rather restrictive concept #5, here's a nice open one:
> > write about a superhero's involvement with the Olympic Games (ancient or
> > modern, summer or winter, as backstory or frontstory).

Hmm. According to Google, one of my toss-away concepts (or
"unfulfilled story hooks", that is) has the exclusive license on the
phrase, "Bring Back the Real Parthenon!" I might have to meditate
upon that.

> Thank goodness I'm going to have two 7 hour train trips, up and back to a family reunion, this weekend, yes?

Ahh, blessed solitude. I gather you've figured out how to write
stories on a train like our ancestors did.

Oh, and it's refreshing to see this newsgroup generate almost as much
traffic in one day as the newsgroup of DC Comics does.

Andrew Perron

Mar 2, 2010, 2:22:45 AM3/2/10
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 03:58:40 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> Ahh, blessed solitude. I gather you've figured out how to write
> stories on a train like our ancestors did.

I generally come up with ideas on train/bus and do the actual writing in a
non-moving location.

> Oh, and it's refreshing to see this newsgroup generate almost as much
> traffic in one day as the newsgroup of DC Comics does.

Now if we could just do this all the time... *cackle cackle plot plot*

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, plooooooot.

Tom Russell

Mar 2, 2010, 11:50:37 AM3/2/10
Nice concept, Dave. And I think I have my hook (East Germany, 70s,
women's teams) and conceit/structure (glossy magazine profile). Let's
see if I can't get it done in time...

==Tom, almost always ends up throwing out about half the story to get
it done in time.

Andrew Perron

Mar 2, 2010, 3:30:20 PM3/2/10
On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 02:24:02 +0000 (UTC), Saxon Brenton wrote:

> Oh, I know just the thing. I've had a piece of silliness about the 2000 Sydney Olympics floating around in the back of my head, about when all those migratory bogong moths invaded the stadium.
>
> Which means I have to write the next issue of _Limp-Asparagus Lad_...

Woohoo!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, *dance dance boogie down*

Tom Russell

Mar 20, 2010, 11:21:40 PM3/20/10
Whoa, time just passed us by here, huh?

Maybe there should be a one-week extension? Pretty-please?

==Tom

Dave Van Domelen

Mar 21, 2010, 2:30:52 AM3/21/10
In article <0ca130cc-f093-4aac...@j21g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

Tom Russell <milos_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Whoa, time just passed us by here, huh?
>
>Maybe there should be a one-week extension? Pretty-please?

Yeah, gonna extend it a week, since there's zero entries.

Dave Van Domelen, resetting his alarm to next week.

Andrew Perron

Mar 21, 2010, 2:28:42 PM3/21/10
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 06:30:52 +0000 (UTC), Dave Van Domelen wrote:

> Yeah, gonna extend it a week, since there's zero entries.

Eep. Didn't notice how close the deadline was! Better get my entry
finished.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, kablooie!

Scott Eiler

Mar 21, 2010, 9:42:00 PM3/21/10
On Mar 21, 1:30 am, dvan...@eyrie.org (Dave Van Domelen) wrote:
> In article <0ca130cc-f093-4aac-a3f9-0f9f4d2df...@j21g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

> Tom Russell <milos_par...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Whoa, time just passed us by here, huh?
>
> >Maybe there should be a one-week extension? Pretty-please?
>
> Yeah, gonna extend it a week, since there's zero entries.
>
> Dave Van Domelen, resetting his alarm to next week.

That might be enough for me to squeak an entry in and win by default.
8{D>