META: The Age of RACC Readership

Arspitzer

Jun 11, 2004, 12:25:22 AM6/11/04
META: The Age of RACC Readership

I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
also what the average age of people who
read RACC.

How old are you?

28

When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
were you one of the people who originally participated in
the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

I started reading alt.comics.lnh in December of '93.

What was the first series or story you read?

I believe the first issue I read was Tales of the LNH #299.
The conclusion of the Blood Kitty saga. Great stuff!
You should go to archives and check it out if you haven't
read it already.

Okay people. Delurk. Post to this thread. Everyone.
Make Russ Allbery work hard. And if you don't want to
post to this thread write a post saying you don't want
to post to this thread. You can even lie. I don't
care.

Arthur "Come on People" Spitzer

Dave Van Domelen

Jun 11, 2004, 1:44:37 AM6/11/04
In article <20040611002308...@mb-m05.aol.com>,

Arspitzer <arsp...@aol.com> wrote:
>META: The Age of RACC Readership
>
>I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
>also what the average age of people who
>read RACC.
>
>How old are you?

33. 34 in about a month.

>When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
>were you one of the people who originally participated in
>the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

Got in on things right after the original Cosmic Plot Device Caper, in
July 1992.

>What was the first series or story you read?

I really have no idea. Not that there were fixed-form titles at that
point. It was 100% chaotic add-on.

Dave Van Domelen, notes that ASH #50 will come out a few months before
the ASH Universe 10th Anniversary. Groovy.

Jamas Enright

Jun 11, 2004, 2:27:19 AM6/11/04
On 11 Jun 2004, Arspitzer wrote:

> META: The Age of RACC Readership
>

> How old are you?

28.

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

Mid to late 1994.

> What was the first series or story you read?

Guitar Man and/or Writer's Block Woman (and Mouse) (Can't remember which
came first) which Campbell (March)(*) and Jessica (Smiler) posted on the
local BBS, and then pointed me to aclnh/racc, from which I quickly
discovered other the comics...

(*) Come back Sasquatch!

--
Jamas Enright
"Answers answered and questions questioned."

"If a great state has decided by law that twice two is five, it would be
foolish to allow mathematicians to testify." - Comment during the Scopes
Monkey Trial.

Saxon Brenton

Jun 12, 2004, 10:18:52 PM6/12/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote:
> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?

I'm 35, 36 in August

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

In early to mid 1994

> What was the first series or story you read?

...uh...
< panic >
I can't remember after all this time. The first series that I
can *recall* reading was either Retcon Hour or some of Martin
Phipps' stuff. Or possibly it may have been Dvandom Force.

The problem is that looking back through google as a memeory
prompt, there was stuff from that period which I don't recall
seeing, let alone reading. I'm pretty sure that it's the case
that my earliest LNH readings were quite distinct from my
earliest RACC readings - and unfortunately I can't recall
when I segued in from alt.comics.lnh either.

Methinks I should set aside some time to go back and at least
skim through the headers of the ealy RACC posts. That's a tactic
that's paid off for rereading the original LNH thread. For
instance, does anyone else recall that in the call-to-arms by
Ben Pierce that the LNHHQ is described as looking like a
computer terminal planted upside down in the ground? That's just
so cool. I think I'll have to use that sometime.

------
Saxon Brenton Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
saxon....@uts.edu.au

drtimphd

Jun 13, 2004, 12:08:10 AM6/13/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message

> META: The Age of RACC Readership
>
> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?
>
> 28

23.

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?
>
> I started reading alt.comics.lnh in December of '93.

RACC, briefly in 1998 and again 2000-present

> What was the first series or story you read?

I can't even remember. Journey Into Irrelevancy was the first actual
series I was really into.

> I believe the first issue I read was Tales of the LNH #299.
> The conclusion of the Blood Kitty saga. Great stuff!
> You should go to archives and check it out if you haven't
> read it already.
>
> Okay people. Delurk. Post to this thread. Everyone.
> Make Russ Allbery work hard. And if you don't want to
> post to this thread write a post saying you don't want
> to post to this thread. You can even lie. I don't
> care.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've told myself every year I'd
post something on RACC, but never have. Maybe this'll give me some
inspiration to post more often. I've read quite a bit of the stuff on
RACC, and enjoyed it.

Tim "Hoping someday to post some of his work" Munn

Martin Phipps

Jun 13, 2004, 1:05:31 PM6/13/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message
> META: The Age of RACC Readership
>
> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?

37

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

I started reading rec.arts.comics.misc in September of 1992. There
was a flame war going on in response to recent LNH posts (Scav's Long
Road to Nowhere and The Electrocutioner's Song)

> What was the first series or story you read?

Maybe Cry.sig. I didn't read the Electrocutioner's Song when it first
came out because I didn't know who the characters were and seeing Scav
type people's NAMES in CAPS didn't help me understand who everybody
was. I read the FAQ and asked Tori to send me Cry.sig by e-mail
because we didn't have an archive back then.

To be honest, I always thought that wReam was underrated. In fact, he
should sue Marvel because Ultimate Captain America acts like Ultimate
Ninja in tights. Oh but I did get them back for that, didn't I? :)

Martin

OTL

Jun 13, 2004, 1:05:34 PM6/13/04
"Arspitzer" <arsp...@aol.com> wrote in message

> META: The Age of RACC Readership
>
> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?

Too. :)

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

Part of the original rac monkey pile. (Um... am I the only one left?)

> What was the first series or story you read?

The aforementioned monkey pile.

-Obscure Trivia Lad, *really* feeling too old right about now...

--
Brian Perler bpe...@sprynet.com
"We are an impossibility in an impossible universe." -Ray Bradbury

Rob Rogers

Jun 14, 2004, 1:30:40 PM6/14/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message

> How old are you?

31, dammit.

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

I started reading alt.comics.lnh in November of '93.

> What was the first series or story you read?

Either "Particle Man," "Constellation," or both.

--Rob Rogers
--Easily-Discovered Man Lite of the LNH

Time Warrior

Jun 23, 2004, 2:13:16 PM6/23/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message
> META: The Age of RACC Readership
>
> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and
> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?

19

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

I actually discovered LNH through running across the eyrie.org web
site somehow, probably during about 2000. I think it was when the
Saviors of the Net crossover was winding down. I was primarily a
fanfic writer at that point, so it could have had something to do with
the rec.arts.anime.creative archive which is also hosted on eyrie.org.
However, I didn't start reading and writing for RACC intensely until
about 2002. At the time, I was deliberately trying to branch out as a
writer. I always liked superhero stories a lot, although I had
stopped reading any comics with the exception of the J. Michael
Straczynski-written issues of Amazing Spider-Man. So I decided to
give writing for RACC a try. Since then, I've written a pathetic
total of five issues, six if you count a lame cascade add-on atempt,
which nobody does.

> What was the first series or story you read?

Hmmm... The first story I read in the archive was probably the Cosmic
Plot Device Caper, in the incomplete version that existed at the time.
The first story I read on RACC was probably one of Martin's
approximately five million issues.

Andrew Perron

Jul 7, 2004, 1:01:23 PM7/7/04
arsp...@aol.com (Arspitzer) wrote in message

> I'm just curious who still reads RACC and

> also what the average age of people who
> read RACC.
>
> How old are you?

Twenty-one years of age.

> When did you first start reading RACC, alt.comic.lnh, or
> were you one of the people who originally participated in
> the original LNH thread on rec.arts.comics?

Late 1994, I belive.

> What was the first series or story you read?

I came into it through the "Blue Light Productions" website, so read
their stuff first in some order or another.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, who hath returned!