"In Cold Blood" - the Clutter murders, 50 years later

atc

Nov 16, 2009, 11:26:38 AM11/16/09
(Guardian.co.uk) - Fifty years ago, Holcomb, Kansas was
devastated by the slaughter of a local family. And then
Truman Capote arrived in town . . .

Continued: http://tr.im/InColdBlood

"the better Slobodan"

Nov 16, 2009, 3:11:15 PM11/16/09

+
If it makes you feel better, Capote never wrote again after COLD
BLOOD.
He started drinking again and eventually died of liver complications.

Magic Dan Milosevic

Francis A. Miniter

Nov 17, 2009, 11:35:53 AM11/17/09

Interesting. Equally intriguing is that Harper Lee also
never wrote again after *To Kill a Mockingbird*. Even when
a 50th anniversary edition came out, she barely wrote a
short paragraph to preface the new edition. Why? Was it so
that her style could not be compared to that of the novel?
Her relationship with Capote was very complex. Capote
figures as a character in Mockingbird. He took the
photograph of her that appears on the back of the first
printing of the first edition of Mockingbird. She went with
him to Kansas. Did they need each other to write? How
involved was each of them in the text of the other?

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente
libros, laminas, llaves
siguen mi suerte.

Jorge Luis Borges, La Cifra Haiku, 6

Kris Baker

Nov 17, 2009, 11:46:37 AM11/17/09

"Francis A. Miniter" <fami...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "the better Slobodan" wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 10:26�am, atc <remai...@reece.net.au> wrote:
>>> (Guardian.co.uk) - Fifty years ago, Holcomb, Kansas was
>>> devastated by the slaughter of a local family. And then
>>> Truman Capote arrived in town . . .
>>>
>>> Continued:http://tr.im/InColdBlood
>>
>> +
>> If it makes you feel better, Capote never wrote again after COLD
>> BLOOD.

Correction: he never wrote a major novel again.

"Answered Prayers", planned before the Clutter murders BUT obviously
written after "In Cold Blood" was unfinished, and published in chapters.

Kris

Just Me

Nov 17, 2009, 2:32:24 PM11/17/09
On Nov 17, 10:46 am, "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@ggmail.com> wrote:
> "Francis A. Miniter" <famini...@comcast.net> wrote in messagenews:hduji2$hcu$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

And is well worth reading anyway, as it's since been collected into
one volume, if you don't mind being shocked right out of your socks.
You soon see why he became the enfant terrible and persona non grata
that one little unfinished novel had made of him in the end.
--
JM
http://jpdavid.blogspot.com/

Joan in GB-W

Nov 18, 2009, 11:44:24 PM11/18/09

"Kris Baker" <paralle...@ggmail.com> wrote in message

I read "Answered Prayers" a month or so ago and did not like it. It is
three chapters long and not all that coherent . . . to my way of thinking.
Capote used some actual names for characters and made-up names for others.
The last section dealt with the famous Ann Woodward case. Dominick Dunn's
"The Two Mrs. Grenville's" also deals with the Woodward case and that was a
book I liked better. Unfortunately for Truman, by writing "Answered
Prayers," he immediately became persona non grata with the very people he
was writing about and the crowd he most admired and craved acceptance from..

The title refers to a quotation from St. Teresa . . . answered prayers cause
more tears than those that remain unanswered.

Joan

Stratum101

Nov 19, 2009, 5:09:16 AM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 10:44 pm, "Joan in GB-W" <jjkr...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Kris Baker" <parallelcoo...@ggmail.com> wrote in message

> > "Francis A. Miniter" <famini...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Hmm. If Teresa is the scourge of those who get what
they pray for, to whom should I pray not to hear the
"Hey, Jude" song ever again without some lightning
bolt striking me dead?

I'd thought of approaching Mr. Impossible Causes,
St. Jude himeself, but he's not exactly a
disinterested party.

Kris Baker

Nov 19, 2009, 10:22:00 AM11/19/09

"Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com> wrote in message

It was a mess; I'm surprised "high society" was so shocked by it.

But hey. Woodward died in 1975, which means Capote was kinda-
writing at least ten years past In Cold Blood.

Kris

Just Me

Nov 19, 2009, 1:52:44 PM11/19/09
On Nov 18, 10:44 pm, "Joan in GB-W" <jjkr...@aol.com> wrote:

> Prayers,"  he immediately became persona non grata with the very people he
> was writing about and the crowd he most admired and craved acceptance from..

If anything is made hilariously clear from this brilliantly malicious,
last little literary gasp of Truman Capote, "admiration" was the last
thing he was feeling for those people. What--?? For that spoiled
rotten little klatch of undeservedly rich society snots? The
admiration had been all theirs for him--as only made sense seeing how
he was the only one among them who had ever accomplished anything
worthy of note, and as everything of theirs was only inherited from
someone else; a truth he worked so artfully to expose, and so very,
very well in Answered Prayers. But it was a truth he went on to prove
all the further by their response, that all the 'admiration' had never
really been for him either, but for his status, his desirability as an
objet d' art to display at their parties. He knew this, and that was
the object of Answered Prayers, to say so, right to their faces.

But that Truman Capote should have been so silly (and of course he was
very, very silly, God love him) as to have expected of those phonies
that they'd be hip enough to graciously accept his invitation to laugh
right with him, attend the very fancy feast at which he had their
asses turning on the spit and roasting to a turn--? Well, it, only
serves to prove the Mother Theresa rule all the further true--when it
comes to having one's Prayers Answered, and then being treated to eat
them, too.

In the end, it was their lack of acceptance in *his* esteem, as so
wickedly revealed by the book, which made him persona non grata. And
so what? It was only to his terminal sorrow of astonished
disappointment that they couldn't have been bigger than that.

So you see how very, very, very silly Truman Capote truly, truly was.
But as more than a few are slowly beginning to see (as they break free
of the wounded sensibilities forming the critiques of the New York
literary establishment) and are able to read and and see for
themselves, Answered Prayers may yet prove to be the finest, funniest,
richest, most brilliant of all his works. I can only feel sorry for
those whose enjoyment must depend entirely upon the good opinion of
others, whom they, in their folly (or conceit) presume to be in the
know! ;-)

The poor, sad, slaves.
--
JM http://doo-dads.blogspot.com

Patok

Nov 19, 2009, 4:51:05 PM11/19/09

Where do you manage to hear "Hey, Jude" so often so that it
becomes annoying? The last time I heard it was probably a year ago, when
it came in sequence on my "macro iPod". There is something wrong with
the randomize function on it, though - maybe I need to install a
different version of Winamp? It can't be right that I hear "The
Masochism Tango" 10 times, and "Hey, Jude" just once. Overall it shows a
very strange preference for Tom Lehrer - it plays his songs much more
often than their ratio of 55 to the total of 5500, or one in 100, as it
should.

> I'd thought of approaching Mr. Impossible Causes,
> St. Jude himeself, but he's not exactly a
> disinterested party.

Ah, so that's why the hospital is named that way. I, having no
religious background whatsoever, didn't know. I though that maybe it was
the patron saint of children, or something.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.

kathypig

Nov 20, 2009, 11:32:49 AM11/20/09
Capote only wrote short stories after "ICB" came out. I think the
years he spent on the book and all the emotional strains of that,
combined with the drinking, made him unable to write novels anymore.
kathy c

Kathy

Nov 20, 2009, 11:39:13 AM11/20/09

I absolutely agree. I believe that the ICB experience is what did him in.

Kathy

Kris Baker

Nov 20, 2009, 12:54:19 PM11/20/09

"Kathy" <kb...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I think it was the fame, the high society, and the wanting to be
accepted. It worked, for a little while.

Kris

Kathy

Nov 20, 2009, 4:02:56 PM11/20/09

But he WAS accepted with open arms by high society and pretty much
everyone else. Though he always drank, his downward spiral began when he
got involved with the Clutter murders and the perpetrators. It consumed
his life, drained him mentally and physically and he just went downhill
after that.

Kathy

Marko Amnell

Nov 22, 2009, 12:02:15 PM11/22/09

"Joan in GB-W" <jjk...@aol.com> wrote in message
7mk0pmF...@mid.individual.net...

> I read "Answered Prayers" a month or so ago and did not like it. It is
> three chapters long and not all that coherent . . . to my way of thinking.
> Capote used some actual names for characters and made-up names for others.
> The last section dealt with the famous Ann Woodward case. Dominick Dunn's
> "The Two Mrs. Grenville's" also deals with the Woodward case and that was
> a book I liked better. Unfortunately for Truman, by writing "Answered
> Prayers," he immediately became persona non grata with the very people he
> was writing about and the crowd he most admired and craved acceptance
> from..
>
> The title refers to a quotation from St. Teresa . . . answered prayers
> cause more tears than those that remain unanswered.

ObBook. Tears and Saints, by E.M. Cioran