Palin trailing Brown

Stratum101

Oct 13, 2009, 8:35:47 AM10/13/09
Well, here's some kind of mixed blessing.

According to the Wikipedia, Sarah Palin and
Lynn Vincent's book _Going Rogue_ "had fallen
to the #3 spot on Amazon's bestseller list
by October 8th, trailing Dan Brown's _The Lost
Symbol_ and Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid:
Dog Days_."

Somebody at a local Borders store was supposed
to let me have a surreptitious peek at _Wolf Hall_
which is supposed to go on sale in the United
States today. (However, this person was
unable to deliver.) I guess I'll read it. The
Man Booker has been pretty reliable from my
perspective. In the l980s, it was from the
Booker that I first learned of V. S. Naipaul and
Iris Murdoch. Murdoch received it for
_The Sea, the Sea_, but as it turned out,
that was the second thing of hers I'd
read. I went looking for it after reading
a long piece about the Booker Prize
in the L.A. Times and found _Nuns
and Soldiers_ instead, which I still think is
among her very best, second only
after _The Bell_.

What do I know? I don't have a Critic's
License and they won't lend me an advance
copy of _Wolf Hall_, let alone Sarah
Palin's collaboration.