Re: The book that contains all books

Message has been deleted

plausible prose man

Oct 20, 2009, 9:52:07 AM10/20/09
On Oct 20, 9:39 am, rmak <rca...@live.com> wrote:
> x-no-archive:yes
> On Oct 18, 9:40 pm, rab
>
> <fr...@spamexpire-200910.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
> > (Wall Street Journal) - On October 19th, the Kindle 2
> > (Amazon.com:http://xrl.us/KindleInternational) will
> > become the first e-reader available globally. The only
> > other events as important to the history of the book are
> > the birth of print and the shift from the scroll to bound
> > pages. The e-reader, now widely available, will likely
> > change our thinking and our being as profoundly as the two
> > previous pre-digital manifestations of text. The question
> > is how. And the answer can be found in the history of
> > earlier book forms..
>
> > Continued:http://xrl.us/KindleReader
>
> Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

"I think so, Brain, but if I called it a fucking piece of shit that
doesn't fucking work, no one would would read my column."

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_ju2XWn2s

Joseph Nebus

Oct 20, 2009, 11:35:23 AM10/20/09
rmak <rca...@live.com> writes:

>Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

I was thinking of the Stanislaw Lem robot story in which all
possible information, books included, were extracted from the molecular
movement within a cup of tea, myself.

--
Joseph Nebus

David Mitchell

Oct 20, 2009, 12:28:25 PM10/20/09
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:35:23 -0400, Joseph Nebus wrote:

> rmak <rca...@live.com> writes:
>
>>Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?
>
> I was thinking of the Stanislaw Lem robot story in which all
> possible information, books included, were extracted from the molecular
> movement within a cup of tea, myself.

You sure that's Lem? That sounds a lot like Douglas Adams to me...

= David --- If you use Microsoft products, you will, inevitably, get
= Mitchell --- viruses, so please don't add me to your address book.

Jo'Asia

Oct 20, 2009, 12:45:31 PM10/20/09
David Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:35:23 -0400, Joseph Nebus wrote:

>> rmak <rca...@live.com> writes:

>>>Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

>> I was thinking of the Stanislaw Lem robot story in which all
>> possible information, books included, were extracted from the molecular
>> movement within a cup of tea, myself.

> You sure that's Lem? That sounds a lot like Douglas Adams to me...

"The Sixth Sally, or How Trurl and Klapaucjus Created a Demon of the
Second Kind to Defeat the Pirate Pugg" from "The Cyberiad".

But there is no cup of tha involved, the Demon read information from
chaotic movements of the molecules in the air.

Jo'Asia

--
__.-=-. -< Joanna Slupek >----------------------< http://esensja.pl/ >-
--<()> -< joasia @ hell . pl >------< http://bujold.fantastyka.net/ >-

Louann Miller

Oct 20, 2009, 5:07:42 PM10/20/09
rmak <rca...@live.com> wrote in news:f313497b-a49f-4cec-b3da-28d5462a1dd1
@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

>> (Wall Street Journal) - On October 19th, the Kindle 2
>> (Amazon.com: http://xrl.us/KindleInternational) will
>> become the first e-reader available globally. The only
>> other events as important to the history of the book are
>> the birth of print and the shift from the scroll to bound
>> pages.

> Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

Perhaps a Jeff somebody?

Mike Schilling

Oct 20, 2009, 5:33:59 PM10/20/09

One of those Bozos, anyway.

Jack Campin - bogus address

Oct 20, 2009, 9:16:29 PM10/20/09
> Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

I was expecting an announcement for the Kindle of Babel.

Which should be technically possible.

Seems that a version which can handle sheet music at a sight-readable
size isn't.

Until it gets that big I have absolutely zero use for it.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

William December Starr

Oct 22, 2009, 12:07:08 AM10/22/09
In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,
nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) said:

> I was thinking of the Stanislaw Lem robot story in which all
> possible information, books included, were extracted from the
> molecular movement within a cup of tea, myself.

Doesn't that just produce the same "having all possible information
is like having no information" problem as Borges' Library of Babel?

-- wds

Miles Bader

Oct 22, 2009, 5:55:59 AM10/22/09
rmak <rca...@live.com> writes:
>> (Wall Street Journal) - On October 19th, the Kindle 2
>> (Amazon.com: http://xrl.us/KindleInternational) will
>> become the first e-reader available globally. The only
>> other events as important to the history of the book are
>> the birth of print and the shift from the scroll to bound
>> pages.
>
> Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

Putting aside the silly sycophantic WSJ article, the new "international"
kindle is quite disappointing, and not really very "international": it
_still_ can't display non-latin text by default! This limitation is
particularly dumb because the kindle is apparently quite capable of
using a larger-coverage font (and someone's actually made a hack that
does so, by installing a new default font to the kindle), and they could
have markedly improved the unit simply by using a different default
font.

My theory is that Amazon is still developing a true international model
(which would deal properly not just with non-latin characters, but also
with other issues, such as R-to-L and vertical writing directions, etc),
and they're just using this half-assed model to test their new network
agreements in other countries. I suppose they figure they can make a
bit of extra cash at the same time by selling a few to American tourists
and expatriates.

It's still kind of annoying that they've sort of gone and blown their
load early with all the excess hype, though; how are they going to
market the real thing now? "We were only kidding before, this is the
_real_ international model"?!

-Miles

--
Inhumanity, n. One of the signal and characteristic qualities of humanity.

netcat

Oct 22, 2009, 6:46:36 AM10/22/09
In article <buo4opr...@dhlpc061.dev.necel.com>, mi...@gnu.org
says...

> rmak <rca...@live.com> writes:
> >> (Wall Street Journal) - On October 19th, the Kindle 2
> >> (Amazon.com: http://xrl.us/KindleInternational) will
> >> become the first e-reader available globally. The only
> >> other events as important to the history of the book are
> >> the birth of print and the shift from the scroll to bound
> >> pages.
> >
> > Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?
>
> Putting aside the silly sycophantic WSJ article, the new "international"
> kindle is quite disappointing, and not really very "international": it
> _still_ can't display non-latin text by default!

And of course the wireless connection doesn't actually work in all
countries. Assuming the wireless costs are included in the pricing,
people in those countries will be paying for something they are not
getting. Also, shipping only a US power adapter with international sales
is sort of stupid and pointless, IMO.

> It's still kind of annoying that they've sort of gone and blown their
> load early with all the excess hype, though; how are they going to
> market the real thing now? "We were only kidding before, this is the
> _real_ international model"?!

They'll just call it Kindle 3 and everyone will scramble, because 3 > 2

rgds,
netcat

Szymon Sokół

Oct 22, 2009, 7:29:15 AM10/22/09

Exactly, that was Lem's idea - the guy, for whom the information-spewing
daemon had been made, was unable to sift the *valuable* information from all
the crap. And Lem wrote it long before the beginnings of the Internet...

--
Szymon Sokół (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager B
Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland O

rab

Oct 23, 2009, 9:21:03 PM10/23/09
In article <f313497b-a49f-4cec-b3da-
28d546...@f18g2000prf.googlegroups.com>

rmak <rca...@live.com> wrote:

> x-no-archive:yes
> On Oct 18, 9:40=A0pm, rab

> <fr...@spamexpire-200910.rodent.frell.theremailer.net> wrote:
> > (Wall Street Journal) - On October 19th, the Kindle 2
> > (Amazon.com: http://xrl.us/KindleInternational) will
> > become the first e-reader available globally. The only
> > other events as important to the history of the book are
> > the birth of print and the shift from the scroll to bound
> > pages. The e-reader, now widely available, will likely
> > change our thinking and our being as profoundly as the two
> > previous pre-digital manifestations of text. The question
> > is how. And the answer can be found in the history of
> > earlier book forms..
> >
> > Continued: http://xrl.us/KindleReader
>
> Was this Wall Street Journal article written by an Amazon shareholder?

(1) Could be. Amazon stock up nearly 25% on Friday.

(2) "Amazon Kills U.S. Kindle, Cuts International Price"
Wired: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/?p=26744