Hannah Arendt's Wrinkled Cunt Rides Again

Michael Zeleny

Nov 3, 2009, 4:37:24 AM11/3/09
to stevan apter, victor yodaiken, Thomas H. Chance, Michael Feld, Gans, Eric
Howard M. Kaminsky of 6130 Ridge Lane, Ocean Ridge, Florida 33435
writes in a letter to the TLS regarding Bernard Wasserstein's
Commentary on Hannah Arendt:

As for his charges relating to Arendt's use of Nazi authors and her
inadequate love of the Jewish people, I admit, Jew that I am, to
believing that some Nazi authors had important things to say not
unrelated to their Nazism, above all the viciously anti-Semitic but
incomparably brilliant Carl Schmitt (whom Arendt used even more than
she says), and I also believe that Jews have created gentile hostility
by demanding equal rights but refusing to surrender their ethnic
integrity. Books have been written about this by a number of authors
who are not overtly anti-Semitic--e.g. Kevin MacDonald and Albert
Lindemann--and Arendt's analysis of Jewish "responsibility" for anti-
Semitism can hardly be dismissed as due to her "perverse world-view",
let alone her "combination of *ira et studio* [sic]".

Setting aside the insinuation of covert anti-Semitism, the notion of
the Jews having created gentile hostility by demanding equal rights
but refusing to surrender their ethnic integrity is baffling. Is it
likewise possible to blame women for having created male hostility by
demanding equal rights but refusing to surrender their sexual
integrity? For that matter, is it possible to blame any man for having
elicited the hostility of his peers by demanding equal rights but
refusing to surrender his personal integrity? If the claim is that
ethnic descent or religious confession are somehow unlike biological
sex and personal identity in their moral implications, why is that the
case, and how so?

Stratum101

Nov 3, 2009, 6:24:35 AM11/3/09
On Nov 3, 3:37 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Setting aside the insinuation of covert anti-Semitism, the notion of
> the Jews having created gentile hostility by demanding equal rights
> but refusing to surrender their ethnic integrity is baffling. Is it
> likewise possible to blame women for having created male hostility by
> demanding equal rights but refusing to surrender their sexual
> integrity? For that matter, is it possible to blame any man for having
> elicited the hostility of his peers by demanding equal rights but
> refusing to surrender his personal integrity? If the claim is that
> ethnic descent or religious confession are somehow unlike biological
> sex and personal identity in their moral implications, why is that the
> case, and how so?

It was never easy being Green.

Message has been deleted

Michael Zeleny

Nov 3, 2009, 11:00:08 AM11/3/09
to Zel...@post.harvard.edu
On Nov 3, 3:24 am, Stratum101 <j.co...@cross-comp.com> wrote:

I must make an allowance for you, Collier.
"With kikes like you on the loose, who needs Hitler?"

--
Michael Zel...@post.harvard.edu
http://larvatus.livejournal.com/

Arindam Banerjee

Nov 4, 2009, 7:19:55 AM11/4/09
On Nov 4, 3:00 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 3:24 am, Stratum101 <j.coll...@cross-comp.com> wrote:

Who was supposed to answer your question? Was it rhetorical? It is
perilous to answer rhetorical questions, then!

Marko Amnell

Nov 8, 2009, 11:18:52 AM11/8/09

"Stratum101" <j.co...@cross-comp.com> wrote in message
55a250ab-3d89-4ff5...@j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

A masked personal identity?
The phrase "larvatus prodeo" has an interesting origin.

Maritain explains: "In the juvenilia of Descartes we find the phrase
Larvatus prodeo. 'Like an actor wearing a mask, I come forward, masked, on
the stage of the world.' [...] It will be for the masked philosopher to
unmask the sciences and to make their continuity and their unity appear with
their beauty" (The Dream of Descartes, 41, 92 n.25).

http://www.williamgaddis.org/recognitions/33anno2.shtml

Stratum101

Nov 8, 2009, 11:56:48 AM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 10:18 am, "Marko Amnell" <marko.amn...@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> "Stratum101" <j.coll...@cross-comp.com> wrote in message
>
> 55a250ab-3d89-4ff5-82a8-4b05dffaf...@j24g2000yqa.googlegroups.com...

I never did finish _Recognitions_. (It's a puritan's
odyssey, roughly in the genre of a Bildungsroman,
or that's how it starts.) This was in the early 1990s.
I was bogged down on something with a hundred threads
that dangled before me in my sleep, and drove me to
working on code at 3 am.

Which is also the mode I've been in since Friday
afternoon. Trying to do some tricky stuff
with AJAX which if it comes off will have been
worth the effort.

Marko Amnell

Nov 8, 2009, 1:18:27 PM11/8/09

"Stratum101" <j.co...@cross-comp.com> wrote in message
9659af9c-51fa-4c41...@r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...

Actually, it seems possible Michael Zeleny took the
name "larvatus prodeo" (it's the name of his blog)
from another quote, which appears on his wikipedia
user page:

"Ut comodi, moniti ne in fronte appareat pudor, personam
induunt, sic ego hoc mundi teatrum conscensurus, in quo
hactenus spectator exstiti, larvatus prodeo.
(Ouvres de Descartes, Ch. Adam and P. Tannery (eds.), X 213, 4-6.)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Larvatus

Stratum101

Nov 8, 2009, 2:11:39 PM11/8/09
On Nov 8, 12:18 pm, "Marko Amnell" <marko.amn...@kolumbus.fi> wrote:
> "Stratum101" <j.coll...@cross-comp.com> wrote in message
>
> 9659af9c-51fa-4c41-80ea-99d301c9e...@r5g2000yqb.googlegroups.com...
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Larvatus- Hide quoted text -

Well, I'm off to some heavy reading by an author
I put in a league with Dan Brown. It's _Windswept
House_ by Malachi Martin. Cynics say he wrote
trash, but I know trash and this is *good* trash.
Crackpots write all the good stuff. Look at
Poe.

As one perceptive reviewer who quotes the
Book of Mormon wrote on-line of Windswept:

"A riveting plot. I read it in a week --
could hardly put it down."

Zounds! That's good enough for me.

(PS- Just about have this AJAX
stuff working too. Have another
interesting challenge. I want to write
an agent that asynchronoulsy updates
feeds from a dozen RSS feeds periodically,
say once per hour, and randomly selects
from top items in each feed for display on a
Web site.

I think the logical approch is to grab the
top two or three items on each feed and
copy these to an XML document on my own
server and then read these randomly.

By the way, any opinions on this statement
by Rupert Murdoch that RSS is freeloading
off the amount of money he pours into
news-gathering? Will Fox News be
outfoxed by Open News?

Think of it! It's 22 Nov 1963, and your
local TV station reports, "We've just learned
the president has been shot, but we are
barred from supplying details until we've
made compensation arrangements with
our source." Who owns the news?

Just Me

Nov 10, 2009, 2:01:15 AM11/10/09
On Nov 3, 3:37 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard M. Kaminsky of 6130 Ridge Lane, Ocean Ridge, Florida 33435
> writes in a letter to the TLS regarding Bernard Wasserstein's
> Commentary on Hannah Arendt:

Jesus! Best you watch what you say around Zeleny in case he has a way
to get at your residential address!

> As for his charges relating to Arendt's use of Nazi authors and her
> inadequate love of the Jewish people, I admit, Jew that I am, to
> believing that some Nazi authors had important things to say not
> unrelated to their Nazism, above all the viciously anti-Semitic but
> incomparably brilliant Carl Schmitt (whom Arendt used even more than

> she says) . . .

And just think of the way she used Heidegger, and of the way Heidegger
used her, and of the way Heidegger used other Jews.

From http://www.friesian.com/rockmore.htm . . .

"In recent years he [Martin Heidegger] has allowed his anti-Semitism
to come increasingly to the fore, even in his dealings with his groups
of devoted Jewish students. The events of the last few weeks have
struck at the deepest roots of my existence."
--Edmund Husserl (1859–1938), 4 May 1933, after Heidegger, as Rector
of Freiberg University, had revoked Husserl's access to the University
Library.
--

But wouldn't you have to suppose it wasn't so old and wrinkled as all
that, back in the day of those hot times with Heidegger--indeed I'd

http://www.librislondon.co.uk/images/hannah_arendt_portrait_300.jpg

Still you got to wonder, after a look of this shot of Heidegger also
from those years . . .

http://www.friesian.com/images/heideger.jpg

. . . whether she got a hot, sexy kick out of the tickle from that
funny little mustache? Was this cause for it to ecstatically open its
dewy wet lips and scream, "Heil Hitler!" For which cause it would
right then have shriveled, to become wrinkled for life, even at such a
ripe, young and nubile age.
--
JM http://whosenose.blogspot.com
http://bobbisoxsnatchers.blogspot.com

Just Me

Nov 11, 2009, 3:27:26 PM11/11/09
How's this for a show of optimism, eh? I duly repost these comments
on the slim to nothing chance that maybe by now (present boring
coterie of total squares excluded), some rare to be found soul has
come in to sit down and raise his cup, who would be hip to what's so
hilarious about all this . . .

On Nov 3, 3:37 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howard M. Kaminsky writes in a letter to the TLS regarding

> Bernard Wasserstein's Commentary on Hannah Arendt:
> As for his charges relating to Arendt's use of Nazi authors and her
> inadequate love of the Jewish people, I admit, Jew that I am, to
> believing that some Nazi authors had important things to say not
> unrelated to their Nazism, above all the viciously anti-Semitic but
> incomparably brilliant Carl Schmitt (whom Arendt used even more than

> she says) . . .

And just think of the way she used Heidegger, and of the way
Heidegger
used her, and of the way Heidegger used other Jews.

"In recent years he [Martin Heidegger] has allowed his anti-Semitism
to come increasingly to the fore, even in his dealings with his
groups
of devoted Jewish students. The events of the last few weeks have
struck at the deepest roots of my existence."

--Edmund Husserl (1859–1938), 4 May 1933, after Heidegger, as Rector
of Freiberg University, had revoked Husserl's access to the
University
Library.
--

Ah, the phenomenological nobility of it all!

But wouldn't you have to suppose it wasn't so old and wrinkled as all
that, back in the day of those hot times with Heidegger--indeed I'd
say she looked pretty sweet at the time, and sure did have a sexy way
of holding that cigarette . . .

http://www.librislondon.co.uk/images/hannah_arendt_portrait_300.jpg

Still you got to wonder, after a look of this shot of Heidegger also
from those years . . .

http://www.friesian.com/images/heideger.jpg

. . . whether she got a hot, sexy kick out of the tickle from that
funny little mustache? Was this cause for it to ecstatically open its

dewy lips and scream, "Heil Hitler!" For which cause it would right
then have shriveled no doubt, to become wrinkled for life, even at

Stratum101

Nov 11, 2009, 11:24:57 PM11/11/09
On Nov 11, 2:27 pm, Just Me <jpd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How's this for a show of optimism, eh?  I duly repost these comments
> on the slim to nothing chance that maybe by now (present boring
> coterie of total squares excluded), some rare to be found soul has
> come in to sit down and raise his cup, who would be hip to what's so
> hilarious about all this . . .
>
> On Nov 3, 3:37 am, Michael Zeleny <larva...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Howard M. Kaminsky writes in a letter to the TLS regarding
> > Bernard Wasserstein's Commentary on Hannah Arendt:
> > As for his charges relating to Arendt's use of Nazi authors and her
> > inadequate love of the Jewish people, I admit, Jew that I am, to
> > believing that some Nazi authors had important things to say not
> > unrelated to their Nazism, above all the viciously anti-Semitic but
> > incomparably brilliant Carl Schmitt (whom Arendt used even more than
> > she says) . . .
>
> And just think of the way she used Heidegger, and of the way
> Heidegger
> used her, and of the way Heidegger used other Jews.

Yes, but Zeleny, tragic character that he is with an
imperfect command of English, apparently meant to
write "...had important things to say *not related* to
their Nazi[i]sm...", the opposite of his clumsy double
negative. I don't disagree with him. Intellectuals
who bought into the Third Reich were consumed
by their Naziism.

[...]

> But wouldn't you have to suppose it wasn't so old and wrinkled as all
> that, back in the day of those hot times with Heidegger--indeed I'd
> say she looked pretty sweet at the time, and sure did have a sexy way
> of holding that cigarette . . .
>
> http://www.librislondon.co.uk/images/hannah_arendt_portrait_300.jpg

A semiotician will say the cigarette and her finger look
like a two middle-finger gesture even if this wasn't her intent.
But no thinking Jew in Hitler's Germany failed to comprehend
her status in contemporary society.

After the war, Elizabeth Schwartzkopf, a party member, was a
controversial figure among music lovers. I adore her. (I tolerate
Wagner.) I'm less forgiving of Werner von Braun.

Here's Schwartzkopf singing "Meine Lippen, sie küssen
so heiss":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAI12axZL5k&feature=related

Here's Hilde Guedin singing the same piece:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWI2QeBhnbY&feature=related
She claimed some Jewish ancestry, enough to have put her at risk
with the Nazis.

If the piece sounds even a little familiar, you may recall a short
clip of it played on a piano at a party attended by Oskar
Schindler in "Schindler's List". It comes from Franz
Lehar's operetta "Giuditta". And shame on you for any
fondness for a composer whom Hitler dug! Bad
enough they had to sweep Lehar's Jewish wife
under the carpet.

Just Me

Nov 12, 2009, 2:37:23 PM11/12/09

Well, I don't know. Seems to me he's always taken a lot of damned
near obsessive care as to the construction of his texts. So just for
the hell of it, taking his word for it, what do you suppose would be
the meaning of his words in case they are to be taken literally? That
like, antisemitic texts might have "important things to say not
unrelated to their Nazism"?

Note that he prefaces these remarks by saying, "I admit, Jew that I
am."
--
JM http://doo-dads.blogspot.com

Stratum101

Nov 12, 2009, 9:46:09 PM11/12/09

He commented that a few Nazis, despite their ideology,
might have had something to say. (Bless their hearts.
"There's a little good in all of us.") It only scans if his
original sentence has one negative.

I don't probe his stuff with a magnifying glass. Never
mind the misogyny. His errors are glaring for me. I
don't refer to syntactical errors necessarily, but
conceptual errors and stylistics that don't conform to
standard English. He used to have an awful habit of
converting any grammatical object to an adverb by
adding -ly. Georgely (or "By George"), that doesn't work
in an analytic language like English where only adjectives
can be promoted to adverbs, and then not when an alternate
adverb already exists, like good / well (but "bad / badly").
The word "goodly" is actually an adjective.

Hmm. "The Queen acted antidisestablishmentarianistically.
'We should keep the C of E for the tax revenue it generates,'
she declared. A Labour Party spokesman who declined
to be identified said it was "hardly any secret that the
royals, the lot of them, are Tories," adding
"We pay her 4 million quid per annum not to have
opinions and I think we ought to demand our money's
worth."

Rov...@webtv.net

Nov 15, 2009, 8:46:35 AM11/15/09

"If the claim is that ethnic descent or religious confession are somehow
unlike biological sex and personal identity in their moral implications,
why is that the case, and how so? "

______________________________________

To elevate ethnic descent or group religious confession above the
so-called "inalienable rights" creates a form of cultism that ultimately
clashes with objective reality. Human material progress in the West in
the last 500 years was made possible to the degree that the old
tribal/ethnic/religious structures were minimized or even deconstructed.
Globalization is the last expression of that earlier European and then
American (and now Chinese?) movement. In this sense, Zionism and
Medieval Islam are still "in the way" and must be tamed to the same
level that Irish tribalism has been diminished to the annual celebration
of St. Patrick's Day and the Catholic Church has been contained inside
the 60 acre enclave known as the Vatican, a "Museum State".

As an aside, while reading Arendt's "Banality of Evil" years ago I
recall thinking how far off the mark she was in her conclusions about
the Nazi monsters. Perhaps she got everything backwards in her head?

Roverii

Marko Amnell

Nov 15, 2009, 9:50:09 AM11/15/09

<Rov...@webtv.net> wrote in message
6395-4B00...@storefull-3253.bay.webtv.net...

> "If the claim is that ethnic descent or religious confession are somehow
> unlike biological sex and personal identity in their moral implications,
> why is that the case, and how so? "
>
> ______________________________________
>
> To elevate ethnic descent or group religious confession above the
> so-called "inalienable rights" creates a form of cultism that ultimately
> clashes with objective reality. Human material progress in the West in
> the last 500 years was made possible to the degree that the old
> tribal/ethnic/religious structures were minimized or even deconstructed.

What about the huge contribution to the material progress of
the West made by black slavery? It was certainly based on
ethnic distinctions. Some writers have argued that black racism
is in fact a new phenomenon that only occurred during the last
500 years. Samir Amin makes this claim in his book _Eurocentrism_.
I think he ignores the Arab black slave trade, with predated the
European black slave trade.

> Globalization is the last expression of that earlier European and then
> American (and now Chinese?) movement. In this sense, Zionism and
> Medieval Islam are still "in the way" and must be tamed to the same
> level that Irish tribalism has been diminished to the annual celebration
> of St. Patrick's Day and the Catholic Church has been contained inside
> the 60 acre enclave known as the Vatican, a "Museum State".

I agree with your basic argument, but you ignore the arguments
made by social scientists such as Benedict Anderson and
Ernest Gellner that what has happened over the last 200 years
with the rise of ethnic and linguistic nationalism is that to some
extent membership in the imagined communities of the great
world religions has been replaced with membership in the
communities of the nation-states. So as the strength of group
religious confession declines, the strength of nationalism grows.
Bloodless universalism is not very popular. It is na�ve to think
that nationalism is weakening. The wars in the former Yugoslavia
in 1992-1995, and more recently, the Russian invasion of
Georgia, are examples how ethnic nationalism still leads to
violent conflict.

Stratum101

Nov 15, 2009, 10:00:31 AM11/15/09
On Nov 15, 7:46 am, Rove...@webtv.net wrote:

> [à bas avec le tribalisme]

> and the Catholic Church has been contained inside
> the 60 acre enclave known as the Vatican, a "Museum State".

After reading Malachi Martin's "Vatican novel" _Windswept
House_, which accomplishes for the Vatican what
Don Novello accomplished for Lazlo Toth, how can
I be sure of this? Didn't you see Godfaddah 3?

> As an aside, while reading Arendt's "Banality of Evil"
> years ago I recall thinking how far off the mark she
> was in her conclusions about the Nazi monsters.
> Perhaps she got everything backwards in her head?

*She* was driven from Germany, not you,
I presume. (And I too would have been, or
worse, if I lived then and there.) You're saying she
wasn't sufficiently angry? You'll recall Eichmann was
unceremoniously hanged in the end to her enthusiastic
approval. She wasn't one these closet antisemites
including self-hating Jews who claimed that Israel's
"extradition" of Eichmann from Argentina was illegal.

Really, what arouses people who hate Arendt is that
Germany wasn't pastoralized after the war. But one
only has to see how well that worked following
1914-1918. For crissakes, she was a German, too.

How angry is a contemporary American toward his
own country following eight years of George Bush who
was capable of committing atrocities in Iraq
on a scale approaching that of Third Reich
Germany... beginning with an election where
his victory was probably rigged?

I'm pretty pissed. Should I emigrate?
We'll leave that up to *me*, thank you.