cont. british women authors

James Thomson

Mar 28, 1994, 3:48:36 PM3/28/94
S.J. Morden (S.J.M...@newcastle.ac.uk) wrote:
: From: STACY KATHLEEN STAINBROOK, sk...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu
: > i'm a graduate student trying to organize an independent study on
: > contemporary british women authors (1950-present) and would be
: grateful
: > for any suggestions (authors, titles, recommendations, etc.).

: Don't forget Catherine Cookson - major wattage in Lending Libraries
: in the UK

: Doc Simes
: s.j.m...@newcastle.ac.uk

Alice Thomas Ellis, quite prolific, - try "The Inn at the End of the
World"
Penelope Lively,
Penelope Fitzgerald, both also very good.

-James

Francis Muir

Mar 28, 1994, 4:27:30 PM3/28/94
Vera (Mary) Brittain's TESTAMENT OF YOUTH and the several other "TESTAMENTS"
are important milestones in modern feminist writing.

Francis Muir

Levin Magruder

Mar 29, 1994, 3:40:49 AM3/29/94

>: From: STACY KATHLEEN STAINBROOK, sk...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu
>: i'm a graduate student trying to organize an independent study on
>: contemporary british women authors (1950-present) and would be grateful
>: for any suggestions (authors, titles, recommendations, etc.).

I missed most of this thread, sorry if this came up:

I just read my first by Beryl Bainbridge: An Awfully Big Adventure.
She's written a lot of novels, and if aABA is representative, I
suspect she'd be of interest to you. This novel tells the story of a
disturbed young woman's experiences in a theatrical company;
experiences that would be disturbing to most people but which she
seems, initially, to take in her stride. It's a black comedy as ugly
as Dahl's stories, neither condescending nor sentimental. I recommend
it.

(I assume Bainbridge is British. There's no Bioblurb in the book to
confirm her nationality.)

levin

Sara McAulay

Apr 2, 1994, 4:46:57 PM4/2/94
: : From: STACY KATHLEEN STAINBROOK, sk...@ns1.cc.lehigh.edu

: : > i'm a graduate student trying to organize an independent study on
: : > contemporary british women authors (1950-present) and would be
: : grateful
: : > for any suggestions (authors, titles, recommendations, etc.).

i missed the beginning of this too. has anyone mentioned fay weldon?
how about angela carter? carter died recently, but would certainly be
considered contemporary, imo.

sara McA

Adam M. Lipkin

Apr 2, 1994, 7:22:41 PM4/2/94
Sara McAulay (smca...@netcom.com) wrote:
:how about angela carter? carter died recently, but would certainly be
: considered contemporary, imo

Carter died? Oy, I haven't been keeping up. She's definitely worthy
of a mention on any list of coontemporary British writers. I'd add
my personal favorite contemporary British writer, Wendy Cope, whose
poetry (collectioons include _Men and their Boring Arguments_ and
_Making Cocoa for Kinglsey Amis_) ranges from wonderful satire to
well-crafted comments of life and love.
--
Adam Lipkin ali...@emoryu1.cc.emory.edu
"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."

David E. Latane

Apr 3, 1994, 11:26:09 AM4/3/94

I think the notion of organizing studies of the works of the mind by
gender to have reached the ne plus ultra of mandated idiocy.Let's
hope in the next decade or so some other organizing principle
occasionally crops up

Nevertheless to further this endeavor here are some of my favorite
British poets who happen to be women:

Eavan Boland
Patricia Beer
Medbh McGuckian
Penelope Shuttle
Anne Stevenson (trans atlantic)
Jo Shapcott (new)
Fiona Pitt-Kethley
Judith Wright
Fleur Adcock (NZ origin)

There are of course dozens of anthologies (e.g., _The Purple and the
Green_) which gather scribblers by the scores under the banner of
common gender.

David latane

Francis Muir

Apr 3, 1994, 11:57:40 AM4/3/94
David E. Latane writes:

Here are some of my favorite British poets who happen to be women:

Eavan Boland
Patricia Beer
Medbh McGuckian
Penelope Shuttle
Anne Stevenson (trans atlantic)
Jo Shapcott (new)
Fiona Pitt-Kethley
Judith Wright
Fleur Adcock (NZ origin)

Any reason not to include

Elizabeth Jennings
Rosemary Tonks

?

Francis Muir

Francis Muir

Apr 3, 1994, 8:34:57 PM4/3/94
David E. Latane writes:

Francis Muir writes:

Any reason not to include

Elizabeth Jennings
Rosemary Tonks

Well, I've never heard of Rosemary Tonks--so would appreciate
information about her work. And Elizabeth Jennings is a fine
poet-- her recent _Times and Seasons_ has a wonderful sequence
of poems for her Mother, and other fine work. Since I favorably
reviewed this book I should be particularly red-faced at not
mentioning her work!

Both the Misses Tonks and Jennings had poems in a recently published
anthology of love poetry I came across in the Printers Inc. round about
St Valentine's Day.

Rosemary is a very secret person who has, however, written seven novels
and an amount of verse over the last thirty odd years. I believe I am
featured in two of the novels, but they were never published here (?),
so I've been unable to check it out. After WWII the German aircraft
manufacturers, Heinkel and Messerschmidt, were allowed to use their
production capacity to build small, two-seater three-wheelers that
looked like the fuselages of the planes they had built. I remember
Rosemary driving one all over Mayfair where streets and sidewalks were
all one to her.

Elizabeth Jennings and myself went up to Oxford the same term. She to the
then non-residential St Anne's (her people lived out on the Woodstock Rd),
and I to Balliol. I suspect we were introduced very early on that term
by Mgr Valentine Elwes at the Chaplaincy -- probably at a Newman Society
bun-fight. Her poems were then pencilled into a lined exercize book. For
a short while I was her supporter in these efforts. We met for the last
time at a cinema where we saw IN WHICH WE SERVE I believe. We both
disappointed each other in our clothing. She had expected me to come in
uniform (I was on my first 48hr leave) and I had not expected her to be
wearing her old school blazer with that heavily wired and embroidered
insignia over her left breast.

Francis Muir

David E. Latane

Apr 3, 1994, 6:33:42 PM4/3/94
fra...@oas.Stanford.EDU (Francis Muir) writes:

>Any reason not to include

> Elizabeth Jennings
> Rosemary Tonks

Well, I've never heard of Rosemary Tonks--so would appreciate
information about her work. And Elizabeth jennings is a fine poet--

her recent _Times and Seasons_ has a wonderful sequence of poems for her
Mother, and other fine work. Since I favorably reviewed this book
I should be particularly red-faced at not mentioning her work!

David Latane'