where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the hobbit

luggie

Jul 7, 2001, 11:35:42 PM7/7/01
where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the
hobbit

Finrod Felagund

Jul 7, 2001, 11:38:51 PM7/7/01
On 7/7/01 11:35 PM, in article iyQ17.109$9d.2...@newshog.newsread.com,
"luggie" <paul...@wingnet.net> wrote:

> where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the
> hobbit

If I'm not mistaken, those are copyright violations. I suppose many of us
on here could point you to them but I wouldn't endorse their use.

David Sulger

Jul 8, 2001, 3:39:09 AM7/8/01
>where can i find a downloadable text
>version of lord of the rings and the hobbit

You're in luck!

It just so happens that the regulars of this newsgroup are putting
together an e-text of LotR at this very moment! We're not finished with
it, but you can read what we've finished here:

http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/book

--Dave

ds50.geo @ yahoo.com

Assorted Tolkien stuff: http://www.geocities.com/ds50.geo/tolkien

who...@wherever.com

Jul 8, 2001, 7:35:28 AM7/8/01
luggie <paul...@wingnet.net> wrote:
: where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the
: hobbit

An excellent resource would be http://21ct.gooddays.org/books.html

Stan Brown

Jul 8, 2001, 8:28:43 AM7/8/01
[cc'd to previous poster; please follow up in newsgroup]

It seems luggie <paul...@wingnet.net> wrote in
rec.arts.books.tolkien:

>where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the

This is answered in the FAQ.

http://oakroadsystems.com
Tolkien FAQs: http://home.uchicago.edu/~sbjensen/Tolkien/
Tolkien letters FAQ: http://users.telerama.com/~taliesen/tolkien/lettersfaq.html
Encyclopedia of Arda: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm
more FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/tech/faqget.htm

the softrat

Jul 8, 2001, 9:18:14 AM7/8/01
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 03:39:09 -0400 (EDT), or...@webtv.net (David
Sulger) wrote:

>>where can i find a downloadable text
>>version of lord of the rings and the hobbit
>
>You're in luck!
>
>It just so happens that the regulars of this newsgroup are putting
>together an e-text of LotR at this very moment! We're not finished with
>it, but you can read what we've finished here:
>
>http://www.speakeasy.org/~ohh/book
>
>--Dave

I glad to see that the e-text is being put to good use.

the softrat
mailto:sof...@pobox.com
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.

Thiele Everett

Jul 8, 2001, 9:45:08 AM7/8/01
Stan Brown (bra...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: [cc'd to previous poster; please follow up in newsgroup]

: It seems luggie <paul...@wingnet.net> wrote in
: rec.arts.books.tolkien:
: >where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the

: This is answered in the FAQ.

No it isn't. The FAQ does not answer that question at all. It only
says:

///
For many aspects of Tolkien scholarship, it would be convenient to have an
electronic version of the books (this would make full text searches
feasible, for example). However, the Tolkien Estate has not chosen to
authorize any electronic versions, probably because of the ease with which
electronic versions can be copied and distributed (legally or illegally).
Therefore, there are no legal electronic copies of Tolkien's writings. The
moral issues involved are less clear (they seem to depend on one's economic
philosophy), but the general culture of the newsgroups is pretty firmly
against these unauthorized texts.
///

The poster wished to know where he could find a downloadable version.
I would like to know the same thing, since I would like to have be
able to perform searches on words and phrases. I don't recognize
the Tolkien estate's authority in this matter, since I already
own so many official Tolkien publications, and do not wish to
have a E-version as a substitute for buying the books.

regards,

--Rett

: --

Jim

Jul 8, 2001, 7:12:53 PM7/8/01

luggie <paul...@wingnet.net> wrote in message

> where can i find a downloadable text version of lord of the rings and the
> hobbit

Try the internet :P

Jim D

David Sulger

Jul 9, 2001, 1:22:25 AM7/9/01
softrat wrote:

>I glad to see that the e-text is being put
>to good use.

Well, that's why we put it together in the first place, isn't it?