Silmarillion construction

Chris Kern

Jan 15, 2005, 3:14:42 AM1/15/05

I've wanted to analyze the sources of CT's published Silm for a while.
Here's a quick list I made just glancing through the various sources
-- are there many errors, or does anyone have anything to add? I
guess someone could go even more depth and say which paragraphs and
even sentences come from what sources, but that's a bit much for me.

Some abbreviations:
CT - Christopher Tolkien
Tolkien - JRR Tolkien
AAm - The Annals of Aman, a very detailed annalistic account of the
first part of the mythology written in 1951
GA - The Grey Annals, the companion to AAm which only extends a little
past the end of the Turin story
QS - "Quenta Silmarillion", written in 1937 and revised in 1951 and
1958 (heavily in some places, hardly at all in others). It ends near
the beginning of the Turin story although the conclusion was written
as well.
HoME - History of Middle-Earth, CT's 12-volume collection of Tolkien's
writings.

An asterisk next to a chapter title means that the chapter never
appeared in Tolkien's QS; it was created by CT to fit in material that
appeared in other sources.

<b>Chapter 1 - Of the Beginning of Days</b>*

Mostly derived from AAm and the <i>Ainulindale</i> -- the greater
portion of it is from the <i>Ainulindale</i>, although HoME does not
give us any record of Tolkien deciding to move the text from there to
the QS.

<b>Chapter 2 - Of Aule and Yavanna</b>*

The first part about the creation of the Dwarves comes from the QS
(chapter "Concerning the Dwarves", placed after the return of the
Noldor to ME and the coming of Men), the latter part about Yavanna
comes from a late essay called "Of Ents and Eagles" (HoME XI).

<b>Chapter 3 - Of the Coming of the Elves</b>

A blend of AAm and QS.

<b>Chapter 4 - Of Thingol and Melian</b>

This appears to be a blending of QS and GA although there may be some
details from AAm as well (the story of Thingol and Melian is told
both in AAm and GA).

<b>Chapter 5 - Of Eldanor and the Princes of Eldalie</b>

A blend of AAm and QS.

<b>Chapter 6 - Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor</b>

Mostly derived from QS (a 1958 revision and expansion of this chapter,
which was compressed by CT in a number of places, probably in an
attempt to avoid unbalancing the work). The Finwe and Miriel story at
the beginning of the chapter, in particular, is quite compressed from
JRRT's writing (he put a lot of importance on this story, and his
final account of it is quite long in comparison to the other chapters
of the QS).

<b>Chapter 7 - Of The Silmarils and the Unrest of the Noldor</b>

Mostly from the 1958 QS (the decision to split the chapter here was
CT's, JRRT's split had chapters 6-8 as five chapters.)

<b>Chapter 8 - Of the Darkening of Valinor</b>

Still mostly from the 1958 QS revision.

<b>Chapter 9 - Of the Flight of the Noldor</b>

Mostly from AAm (the 1958 QS revision was used for the quarrel between
Morgoth and Ungoliant over the jewels, after which it ends).

<b>Chapter 10 - Of the Sindar</b>*

Mostly from GA.

<b>Chapter 11 - Of the Sun and the Moon and the Hiding of Valinor</b>

Mostly from AAm.

<b>Chapter 12 - Of Men</b>

Mostly from QS.

<b>Chapter 13 - Of the Return of the Noldor</b>*

Mostly from GA.

<b>Chapter 14 - Of Beleriand and its Realms</b>

Mostly from QS (this chapter has no parallel in the Grey Annals and
thus probably comes almost completely from QS).

<b>Chapter 15 - Of the Noldor in Beleriand</b>*

Mostly from GA, except for the story of Turgon which is mostly from QS
(a chapter called "Of Turgon and the Building of Gondolin"). The
other two stories that make up this chapter are unique to the Grey
Annals.

<b>Chapter 16 - Of Maeglin</b>*

This chapter comes from a separate work entitled "Of Maeglin" (HoME
XI) which Tolkien intended for use in the Fall of Gondolin tale (the
one that was published in part in <i>Unfinished Tales</i>). According
to CT, Tolkien considered it for inclusion in the QS but rejected that
idea.

<b>Chapter 17 - Of the Coming of Men into the West</b>

Mostly from QS (the chapter was written after the Grey Annals and so
contradicts the GA's account.)

<b>Chapter 18 - Of the Ruin of Beleriand and the Fall of Fingolfin</b>

Blend of QS and GA, although the QS account was written in 1937 and
not much revised (GA is from 1951). The GA account is compressed
somewhat; Tolkien gave the actual speech of Fingolfin and the famous
"Morgoth came" line is "Then Morgoth came. For he could not refuse
such a challenge before the face of his captains."

<b>Chapter 19 - Of Beren and Luthien</b>

Blend of QS, GA, and the Lay of Leithien (HoME III). It seems that QS
was used as the basis, even though it was not revised after 1937. The
poetic passage comes from the Lay; including that was CT's editorial
decision.

<b>Chapter 20 - Of the Fifth Battle: Nirnaeth Arnoediad</b>

Mostly from GA, although many passages were introduced from a new
version of this story that was written after GA for inclusion in the
"Narn i Chin Hurin". The new version introduced a number of changes
which CT reverted -- in Tolkien's newer story, the elves do not do as
well against Morgoth and the treachery of Men is no longer necessary
for Morgoth's victory (I suspect Tolkien changed it because he found
it too unbelievable that in 1 year the elves could do so well against
Morgoth, especially given that the War of Wrath takes 50 years even
with the Valar's help).

<b>Chapter 21 - Of Turin Turambar</b>

Almost entirely from GA. QS ends very close to the beginning of this
chapter (except for a conclusion).

<b>Chapter 22 - Of the Ruin of Doriath</b>

This was the most problematic chapter for CT. The last detailed
version of the story Tolkien wrote was in the early 1920's(!) and the
last version at all was in the early 30's. Both the GA and QS stop
before this point. The first part of the chapter with Hurin and
Morwen was taken from a text called "The Wanderings of Hurin" (the
story continues with a long tale of Hurin in Brethil and Dor-Lomin but
this was cut entirely by CT, according to him because he did not want
to attempt the severe compression it would have required to include
it).

The rest of the chapter was written largely from scratch by CT and Guy
Gavriel Kay, working partly off of old versions of the story by
Tolkien (and taking some passages from those versions). CT discusses
this in HoME XI but says that "in certain essential features there is
no authority whatosever in my father's own writings", and "it
was...obvious that a step was being taken of a different order from
any other 'manipulation' of my father's own writing in the course of
the book".

Among the features of the story that are complete inventions of CT are
the Nauglamir being already forged and in Glaurung's treasure, Hurin
taking only that necklace, and dwarves being already in Menegroth at
his arrival.

<b>Chapter 23 - Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin</b>

Once again, both GA and QS never reached this point. The story is
largely derived from the "Quenta Noldorinwa" (HoME IV) which was the
version of Tolkien's stories that predates QS (written in the early
30's).

<b>Chapter 24 - Of the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath</b>

I am not certain where the first few pages of this chapter come from
-- it's possible that they're derived from the Quenta Noldorinwa but I
don't have HoME IV to check. Beginning from "And they looked upon the
lonely isle and tarried not" the chapter comes from QS. The final
passage starting "Here ends the SILMARILLION" was originally in the
Valaquenta, CT took it from there (where it originally read "Here ends
the VALAQUENTA") and moved it here. He also removed the Dagor
Dagorath prophecy from the QS account based on the statement in that
final paragraph that Mandos' prophecies have not declared whether the
marring of Arda will ever be repaired.

Chris Kern

Jan 15, 2005, 4:32:59 AM1/15/05

Whoops, sorry about those bold and italic HTML tags. I originally
wrote that to post on a message board with HTML formatting and I
forgot to take them out.

-Chris

Matthew Woodcraft

Jan 15, 2005, 5:31:35 AM1/15/05
Chris Kern <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Chapter 24 - Of the Voyage of Earendil and the War of Wrath
>
>I am not certain where the first few pages of this chapter come from
>-- it's possible that they're derived from the Quenta Noldorinwa but I
>don't have HoME IV to check.

They are.

-M-

AC

Jan 16, 2005, 1:32:27 PM1/16/05
Chris Kern wrote:

<snip>

> <b>Chapter 22 - Of the Ruin of Doriath</b>
>
> This was the most problematic chapter for CT. The last detailed
> version of the story Tolkien wrote was in the early 1920's(!) and the
> last version at all was in the early 30's. Both the GA and QS stop
> before this point. The first part of the chapter with Hurin and
> Morwen was taken from a text called "The Wanderings of Hurin" (the
> story continues with a long tale of Hurin in Brethil and Dor-Lomin but
> this was cut entirely by CT, according to him because he did not want
> to attempt the severe compression it would have required to include
> it).
>
> The rest of the chapter was written largely from scratch by CT and Guy
> Gavriel Kay, working partly off of old versions of the story by
> Tolkien (and taking some passages from those versions). CT discusses
> this in HoME XI but says that "in certain essential features there is
> no authority whatosever in my father's own writings", and "it
> was...obvious that a step was being taken of a different order from
> any other 'manipulation' of my father's own writing in the course of
> the book".
>
> Among the features of the story that are complete inventions of CT are
> the Nauglamir being already forged and in Glaurung's treasure, Hurin
> taking only that necklace, and dwarves being already in Menegroth at
> his arrival.

It should be noted that it seems Tolkien hit a major roadblock here
early on, and never seemed to get past it. That Thingol was slain by
Dwarves was always an element, but the problem was the Girdle of Melian,
which ought to have prevented an attack by the Dwarves upon Menegroth.
In the early form Hurin actually busts through the Girdle with a whole
gang of guys, carrying the loot of Nargothrond. I think Tolkien really
wrote himself into a corner with the Girdle, which was too effective :-)

<snip>

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

The American

Jan 16, 2005, 4:20:28 PM1/16/05

"AC" <mightym...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> It should be noted that it seems Tolkien hit a major roadblock here
> early on, and never seemed to get past it. That Thingol was slain by
> Dwarves was always an element, but the problem was the Girdle of Melian,
> which ought to have prevented an attack by the Dwarves upon Menegroth.
> In the early form Hurin actually busts through the Girdle with a whole
> gang of guys, carrying the loot of Nargothrond. I think Tolkien really
> wrote himself into a corner with the Girdle, which was too effective :-)

If that's the case then I really appreciate CT and Guy Kay's rework.
The "fall" of the Girdle because of Melien's grief makes sense to me.
I love that chapter.

T.A.

Chris Kern

Jan 16, 2005, 5:29:32 PM1/16/05
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:20:28 -0500, "The American"
<a_real_...@hotspammail.com> posted the following:

A scribbled note shows an idea where Thingol would be "lured" beyond
his borders and killed outside of Doriath, then Melian in sorrow would
withdraw to Valinor, leaving Doriath open to ruin. This seems
inadequate to me, though.

-Chris

Stan Brown

Jan 16, 2005, 7:43:17 PM1/16/05
"AC" wrote in rec.arts.books.tolkien:

>That Thingol was slain by
>Dwarves was always an element, but the problem was the Girdle of Melian,
>which ought to have prevented an attack by the Dwarves upon Menegroth.

The dwarves were already _in_ Menegroth, working on assignment for
Thingol.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Tolkien FAQs: http://Tolkien.slimy.com (Steuard Jensen's site)
Tolkien letters FAQ:
http://users.telerama.com/~taliesen/tolkien/lettersfaq.html
FAQ of the Rings: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/ringfaq.htm
Encyclopedia of Arda: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm
more FAQs: http://oakroadsystems.com/genl/faqget.htm

AC

Jan 16, 2005, 8:34:34 PM1/16/05
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:43:17 -0500,
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> "AC" wrote in rec.arts.books.tolkien:
>>That Thingol was slain by
>>Dwarves was always an element, but the problem was the Girdle of Melian,
>>which ought to have prevented an attack by the Dwarves upon Menegroth.
>
> The dwarves were already _in_ Menegroth, working on assignment for
> Thingol.

That's not, as I recall, the form that existed in the only completed
version, where Thingol is lured outside the Girdle by the Dwarves.

--
Aaron Clausen
mightym...@hotmail.com

Chris Kern

Jan 17, 2005, 2:21:19 AM1/17/05
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 19:43:17 -0500, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> posted the following:

>"AC" wrote in rec.arts.books.tolkien:
>>That Thingol was slain by
>>Dwarves was always an element, but the problem was the Girdle of Melian,
>>which ought to have prevented an attack by the Dwarves upon Menegroth.
>
>The dwarves were already _in_ Menegroth, working on assignment for
>Thingol.

In the published Silmarillion. In the sketchy versions of the story
found in the Tale of Years they are not (which is why Tolkien put an X
against the paragraphs and said "cannot" and "Doriath cannot be
invaded by a hostile army")

-Chris