COTW Silmarillion: Chapter XX "Of the Fifth Battle" (Part 7)

1 view

Morgoth's Curse <morgothscurse2002@nospam.yahoo.com>

Sep 28, 2006, 9:47:58 PM9/28/06
"By the command of Morgoth the Orcs with great labour gathered
all the bodies of those who had fallen in the great battle, and all
their harness and weapons, and piled them in a great mound in the
midst of Anfauglith; and it was like a hill that could be seen from
afar. Haudh en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and
Haudh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of Tears. But grass came there and grew
again long and green upon that hill, alone in all the desert that
Morgoth made; and no creature of Morgoth trod thereafter upon the
earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled
into rust."

This is one of the most poignant passages in the Silmarillion and one
that I can most easily recall whenever I think of this book. :-)

Why did Morgoth command the construction of the Haudh-en-Nirnaeth? Did
he wish it to serve as a warning to his slaves or did he simply wish
to gloat over his victory--or both?

What are your thoughts now that you have finished reading this
chapter?