Who wrote Shadow Castle?

1 view

RAL...@oduvm.bitnet

Nov 8, 1994, 6:42:06 PM11/8/94
I'm looking for any information about Shadow Castle, a book that I
read and enjoyed very much when I was in 4th grade. It was about a
little girl who found a castle that was empty, but there were shadows
on the walls as though there were people there. She later met a young
man who told her stories about the castle. It was once the home of a
fairy (or elf?) prince who married a human woman. After many adventures,
the prince had to go away while the other fairies made his wife immortal,
a process that would take 1,000 years.
I've looked in Books in Print and didn't find this book listed, so
it's probably not in print. Has anyone else read it? If you can tell
me the author, or better yet where I could find a copy, I would appreciate
it. You can email (to RAL...@ODUVM.BITNET) or post an answer. I want to
see if Shadow Castle is really as good as I remember it.
Thanks for your help.
Rosemary Lasell

Dallas Public Library

Nov 9, 1994, 3:41:41 PM11/9/94
RAL...@ODUVM.BITNET wrote:
: I'm looking for any information about Shadow Castle, a book that I

: read and enjoyed very much when I was in 4th grade. It was about a
: little girl who found a castle that was empty, but there were shadows
: on the walls as though there were people there. She later met a young
: man who told her stories about the castle. It was once the home of a
: fairy (or elf?) prince who married a human woman. After many adventures,
: the prince had to go away while the other fairies made his wife immortal,
: a process that would take 1,000 years.
Shadow Castle is by Marian Cockrell. It was the favorite of a school
librarian for whom I worked as an aid many years ago. Her copy looked
like a Scholastic-sort-of paperback, but it didn't have any publishing
information which I thought odd. I read it and loved it, and made a card
for it in my book file which has only the author and title. It is
definitely out of print.
Tim Wadham
dplb...@metronet.com

David Librik

Nov 9, 1994, 11:42:31 PM11/9/94

I was planning on posting a note about a really great book-searching
library computer system (the Illinois Library Computer System, which has
all books in all libraries in the state of Illinois). This way I can
combine it with an answer to your question, and a demonstration of how
to use it (at least a partial one). I can give a few more commands if
anyone's interested.

- David Librik
lib...@cs.Berkeley.edu

% telnet garcon.cso.uiuc.edu 620
Trying...
Connected to garcon.cso.uiuc.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connected to LCSgated...

LCSgated
a network interface to Illinet Online, the Library Computer System

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Type "?" for a list of commands.

*** THIS SERVICE MAY GO AWAY!! AISS is providing a faster ***
*** full-screen implementation that obsoletes this service. ***
*** telnet illinet.aiss.uiuc.edu to access implementation. ***
*** IP address of that machine: 128.174.53.54 ***
*** For 3270 terminals (that's you, VMD users!), ***
*** telnet uicmvsa.aiss.uic.edu (128.248.163.50) ***

For instructions, type 'help'. To exit, type 'exit'.

Call the Computing Services Office Consulting with questions: 217-333-6133

logged in.

LCSgated>f t shadow castle $all <= find all books in all libraries
with these words in the title

BIBLIOGRAPHIC DISPLAY

1. Pizzey, Erin. In the shadow of the castle / 1984. 303 p.
ocm11-335093
2. Cockrell, Marian, Shadow castle / 1945. 122 p. ocm03-058154
3. Holt, Victoria, Bride of Pendorrie ; The shadow of Lynx ; King
of the Castle ; Mistress of Mellyn / 1980. 862 p.
ocm09-318581
4. Pizzey, Erin, In the shadow of the castle / 1992. 385 p.
ocm27-033765
5. In the shadow of the Rockies : diary of the Castle Mountain
Internment Camp, 1915-1917 / 1991. 143 p. ocm24-286635
6. Felch, William Farrand. Shadow castle, a comedy drama in four
acts, with original plot and stage effects. c1888. :3:-61 p.
ocm30-614223

LCSgated>s 2 <= select number 2
BIBLIOGRAPHIC DISPLAY

Cockrell, Marian, 1909-
Shadow castle / by Marian Cockrell ; illustrated by Olive Bailey.
New York : Whittlesey house, 1945.
122 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
"First printing."
I. Bailey, Olive, ill. II. Title.
ocm03-058154

LCSgated>h 2 <= show who has number 2
HOLDINGS DISPLAY
****** LIBRARY ****** ********* REGION *********
1. Cockrell, Marian, Shadow castle / ocm03-058154
Peoria PL Alliance Library System
Gilman Area DL Lincoln Trail Libraries System
Lcln Trail LS Lincoln Trail Libraries System

LCSgated>quit
Connection from LCSgated closed.

(Also, if you choose the holdings for a book, you can "back up" to the
list of books by typing "re", for "return" or "recall" or something like
that. When you have a number of books (say "20 bibliographic records")
you can list them by typing "s 1-5" or whatever -- then "s" specific ones
to get full bibliographic information.)

(If you're at a college in Illinois, you can use this computer system to
check out any book at any other college library directly and have it
immediately sent to you. Take that, MELVYL!)

Jeanne Sauvage

Nov 14, 1994, 3:54:43 PM11/14/94
Greetings! I just went to the library and checked out _Shadow Castle_.
Its info:

Marian Cockrell, _Shadow Castle_ (New York: Whittlesey House
[McGraw-Hill Book Co.], 1945).

Happy hunting!

--Jeanne
jsau...@u.washington.edu

Jeanne Sauvage

Nov 14, 1994, 2:01:23 PM11/14/94
All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been
looking for the title of this book for about 10 years! I absolutely
adored this book! I, for some reason, remembered the title as _Shadow
Garden_, and have been looking for it using the word "garden" for years.
Wow.

--Jeanne