bonsai 911

Myron Thomas

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
while trying to wire my new fig tree, i broke a branch off near the
trunk. actually adjacent to the trunk. It was broke >3/4 the way
through. I taped it back into place tightly and placed mastic around
the break...Is there anything else i can do to try to save this branch.
I NEED this branch to do make the look I was going for Shakan...I got my
degrees in biochemistry, know little about trees.

Thanx,
Myron Thomas
Locked behind the pine curtain in east texas, zone 8, I think

Shelly Hurd

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
Myron,
Sounds like you've done what you can. I'll presume you bound the
break -very- tightly, and with something that wont scar the branch should it
survive. You'll most likely loose the leaves on that branch, but don't give
up on it if you do, it's standard operating procedure for these trees, it
should bounce back - hopefully. Meantime, you may need to consider a style
alternative. I'm sure someone with more 'tropical' experience will chime
in. Don't loose hope.

Regards,

Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9
she...@hurdfam.com

Alan Walker

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
Myron: Hope you are enjoying the 80 deg. humid weather we're having! Looks like
spring is here (or at least a pretty good imitation of it).
You don't say what kind of Ficus this is, but most pop out buds pretty
readily. I would recommend removing the weak branch (which would not be able to be
moved for wiring, etc. even if it survived) and encouraging a new branch to grow
there. This will be a test of your patience, but that is part of the essence of
bonsai.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA

> while trying to wire my new fig tree, i broke a branch off near the
> trunk. actually adjacent to the trunk. It was broke >3/4 the way
> through. I taped it back into place tightly and placed mastic around
> the break...Is there anything else i can do to try to save this branch.
> I NEED this branch to do make the look I was going for Shakan...I got my
> degrees in biochemistry, know little about trees.
> Thanx, Myron Thomas Locked behind the pine curtain in east texas, zone 8, I think

+++++This list is supported, in part, by a contribution from Bill Kovach+++++
>>-->> The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://users.nbn.net/~herrfam/index.html <<--<<
To leave the list, send SIGNOFF BONSAI to: LIST...@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM

Jim Lewis

Feb 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/11/00
> while trying to wire my new fig tree, i broke a branch off near the
> trunk. actually adjacent to the trunk. It was broke >3/4 the way
> through. I taped it back into place tightly and placed mastic around
> the break...Is there anything else i can do to try to save this branch.
> I NEED this branch to do make the look I was going for Shakan...I got my
> degrees in biochemistry, know little about trees.

It'll probably mend, but it will always be a weak spot. Your future design
options may depend on how much callusing there is at the site of the vreak,
so you might want to start looking at the tree to see what _else_ might be
possible.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - jkl...@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL