Sailormoon in US

Veronica Ho

Jun 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/11/95
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments too).
And this looks like a great forum to me.

I was living in Japan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon
series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find
videos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

ToonRunner

Jun 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/13/95
veron...@prostar.com (Veronica Ho) wrote:
>Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments too).And this looks like a great forum to me.I was living in J=
apan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find v=

ideos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

Hiiiiii, Veronica ^_^
Welcome to the best lil' newsgroup in Cyberspace. You should have no
problems in finding eager fans willing to dispose themselves to you for
your needs. I'd help ya, but I stopped renting SM after the 2nd season,
and you passed me already. One place you SHOULD NOT LOOK is the Angloized
edition which shall pollute our airwaves in late Sept. (>_<)
Moon'sday: T minus 80 days and counting......
Terrance "ToonRunner" Hardin :b Protect The Internet!!!!
Subtitler & Hen Teaser (Kiss Off, Viz!) The 'net must be free for
Keeper of the Creamy Lemons all or free for NONE!!!!!
(I.O.T.h.S.nyc) The Internet Channel:bluw...@inch.com
Better Living thru Mayhem America Online:TeeJa...@aol.com
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ Lopa...... Just say "NO"-pa!! +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Richard Llewellyn

Jun 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/14/95
In article <000003F4...@prostar.com>

veron...@prostar.com (Veronica Ho) writes:

>Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments too).
>And this looks like a great forum to me.

Welcome.

>I was living in Japan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon

>series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find
>videos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

If you're living in a big city (especially on the West Coast, sigh) where
there is a large Japanese population you can probably find video stores
that have lots of tapes of tv programs taped off the air in Japan. These
will usually have Sailor Moon. Some of the fan groups that are connected
to r.a.a. may be distributing it. Also, if you have the money to spend
the laser disc version of SMSuper is now being distributed with at leastt
the first few episodes already out. Finally, Sailor Moon will be on U.S.
tv in the fall, but there will be changes in it.

Good luck in finding it.

Yours in anime,
Richard Llewellyn BLUE SEED * MOTHER, SAIGO
Science Library, University of Georgia NO SHOJO EVE * MIDNIGHT
Internet: rl...@uga.cc.uga.edu EYE GOKU * MAGIC KNIGHT
Telephone: (706) 542-6642 RAYEARTH * TONDE BOORIN *
FAX: (706) 542-7907 GREEN LEGEND RAN * ELLCIA *

davi...@imap1.asu.edu

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
ToonRunner (bluw...@inch.com) wrote:
: veron...@prostar.com (Veronica Ho) wrote:
: >Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments too).And this looks like a great forum to me.I was living in J=
: apan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find v=
: ideos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

: Hiiiiii, Veronica ^_^

: Welcome to the best lil' newsgroup in Cyberspace. You should have no
: problems in finding eager fans willing to dispose themselves to you for
: your needs. I'd help ya, but I stopped renting SM after the 2nd season,
: and you passed me already. One place you SHOULD NOT LOOK is the Angloized
: edition which shall pollute our airwaves in late Sept. (>_<)

Slamming a TV show that doesn't start for months! I'll never forgive
you! The Sailor suited pretty soldier for love and justice, Sailor
Moon! In the name of the viewers, I'll punish you!

Sorry, got carried away. Even if the quality of the translation is bad
(and we don't know how it'll go one way or the other) I have supreme
confidence in the fact that that the US Sailor Moon will be better that
the bulk of the drek that passes for cartoons on US TV. (Scooby Doo
Babies, anyone?)

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe Actions speak louder than words.
Grenades speak louder than actions.

Ranma Saotome

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
On 11 Jun 1995, Veronica Ho wrote:

> Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments too).
> And this looks like a great forum to me.
>

> I was living in Japan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon

> series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find

> videos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

If you love Sailor Moon, guess what?!!!
It's coming to the fall line up in America. One problem!!!
Saban, the creator of Power Rangers, VR troopers, Cyber Samuri, is the
one who is bringing it over.

THIS MAN SHOULD DIE FOR PUTTING ALL OF THIS CRAP ON TELEVISION!!!
DIE SABAN, DIE!!!!#$$%$@^$%#&%^&%^&%*%^

tyler breese

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
davi...@imap1.asu.edu wrote:
[...]

: --
: David "No Nickname" Crowe Actions speak louder than words.
: Grenades speak louder than actions.
: -Stryker, MKIII

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Given the anime that has been broadcast
in the US (i.e. Star Blazers, Robotech) and the originals (Uchuu Senkan
YAMATO, Macross, Southern Cross, Mospaeda) the comparison isn't very
favorable. I would have a coronary at the thought of what would have to
happen to Ranma 1/2 before is was safe for american TV. While even the
worst anime is far superior to what passes for animation on american TV I
do not use american animation as a standard. You may just find DIC's
version of Sailor Moon too painful to watch after having seen the original.

Kyle

Veronica Ho

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
From: veron...@prostar.com
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Subject: Re: Sailormoon in US
Date: 21 Jun 1995

D>ToonRunner (bluw...@inch.com) wrote:
D>: veron...@prostar.com (Veronica Ho) wrote:
D>: >Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and
D>comments too).And this looks like a great forum to me.I was living in
D>J= : apan for a long while and was following the Sailormoon series
D>(now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I can find
D>v= : ideos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many
D>episodes.

D>: Hiiiiii, Veronica ^_^
D>: Welcome to the best lil' newsgroup in Cyberspace. You should have
D>: no problems in finding eager fans willing to dispose themselves to
D>: you for your needs. I'd help ya, but I stopped renting SM after
D>: the 2nd season, and you passed me already. One place you SHOULD NOT
D>: LOOK is the Angloized edition which shall pollute our airwaves in
D>: late Sept. (>_<)

D>Slamming a TV show that doesn't start for months! I'll never forgive
D>you! The Sailor suited pretty soldier for love and justice, Sailor
D>Moon! In the name of the viewers, I'll punish you!

D>Sorry, got carried away. Even if the quality of the translation is
D>bad (and we don't know how it'll go one way or the other) I have
D>supreme confidence in the fact that that the US Sailor Moon will be
D>better that the bulk of the drek that passes for cartoons on US TV.
D>(Scooby Doo Babies, anyone?)

Gee! Wow! Thanx for all the responses. Yeah, so SM is gonna be broadcast
in September huh? Well, good or bad, I'm going to check it out. But
what channel is it on? Can't be CBS or CNN, right? :)

Someone said earlier that it's going to be on WPIX (Channel 11?)?? Where
or what channel is that?

Oh, and also I've heard about Satellite dishes and all the wonderful
things you can see with one. How about Sailormoon? Japanese or subbed
or dubbed. I used to watch it on Terebi-Asahi in Japan. Any chance
Asahi is on Satellite?

********************
Gotta take some time to make a signature file.
---
þ CMPQwk #1.4þ UNREGISTERED EVALUATION COPY

Steve Pearl

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
Ranma Saotome <lxl...@hertz.njit.edu> writes:

>If you love Sailor Moon, guess what?!!!
>It's coming to the fall line up in America. One problem!!!
>Saban, the creator of Power Rangers, VR troopers, Cyber Samuri, is the
>one who is bringing it over.

>THIS MAN SHOULD DIE FOR PUTTING ALL OF THIS CRAP ON TELEVISION!!!
>DIE SABAN, DIE!!!!#$$%$@^$%#&%^&%^&%*%^

Boy, this sounds familiar.

Dirty Parui is coming to America! But the Bad news is, it has been
purchased by Carl Macek. Blah Blah Blah.

Give the show a chance people. You don't have to watch it. And you can
still order your LDs from Japan is you want.

Steve
The OEM of raai
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)
Internet: star...@cybercom.com WWW: http://www.cybercom.com/~starbuck/
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

Marc Hurwich

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
In <Pine.ULT.3.91.950614172...@hertz.njit.edu>

Ranma Saotome <lxl...@hertz.njit.edu> writes:

>On 11 Jun 1995, Veronica Ho wrote:
>
>> Hi. I am new to this forum. I have lots of questions (and comments

too).
>> And this looks like a great forum to me.
>>
>> I was living in Japan for a long while and was following the
Sailormoon
>> series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was wondering where I
can find
>> videos. Especially Sailormoon Super because I missed many episodes.

>If you love Sailor Moon, guess what?!!!
>It's coming to the fall line up in America. One problem!!!
>Saban, the creator of Power Rangers, VR troopers, Cyber Samuri, is the

>one who is bringing it over.
>
>THIS MAN SHOULD DIE FOR PUTTING ALL OF THIS CRAP ON TELEVISION!!!
>DIE SABAN, DIE!!!!#$$%$@^$%#&%^&%^&%*%^

No, Actually it's DIC that has the distribution rights (although not
the character goods rights, which Bandai handed over to it's american
arm) in the U.S. And just to through out some wood for roasting, DIC's
video distributor is none other than Buena Vista Home Video. That's
right. DISNEY!!!!!!
-mh
(and still looking for a signature file...)

Mike Sprague

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
-> > I was living in Japan for a long while and was following the
-> > Sailormoon series (now up to part 4, Sailormoon SS). I was
-> > wondering where I can find videos. Especially Sailormoon Super
-> > because I missed many episodes.
->
-> If you love Sailor Moon, guess what?!!!
-> It's coming to the fall line up in America. One problem!!!
-> Saban, the creator of Power Rangers, VR troopers, Cyber Samuri, is
-> the one who is bringing it over.

Nope, nope, nope! We should be so lucky.
DIC is bringing it over, and from the sound of things cutting it
to pieces. Personally I would have liked to see Saban's version of
the show, though ... can you imagine if Saban did a Samurai Pizza
Cat-type dub job on Sailor Moon?)

[Unbelievably catchy theme music playing in the background, the type
that drills into your skull and drives you insane, and you can't shake
loose from your head no matter how you try ...]

Narrator: And now Usagi's FINALLY realized that maybe she should do the
same thing that she does in EVERY episode, and pull out that little
magical wand thingy that always reduces the monsters to dust!

Usagi: Oh shut up, narrator ... I'd like to see YOU come down here and
fight evil while wearing a stupid sailor outfit like this!

Narrator: Oh, EXCUSE me!

... Of course, DIC did Ulysses 31 and the Seven Cities of Gold,
too, so maybe Sailor Moon USA will work after all. Of course, Haim
Saban was working for DIC at that point. :)
I guess we'll just have to wait and see, when "Moonsday" arrives
sometime later this year ... <shudder> ...

-> THIS MAN SHOULD DIE FOR PUTTING ALL OF THIS CRAP ON TELEVISION!!! DIE
-> SABAN, DIE!!!!#$$%$@^$%#&%^&%^&%*%^

Ah, another satisfied customer. ;)
Doesn't it seem like it's becoming fashionable to wish the death
of anyone who's making anime popular these days?
- MS

Chris Schumacher

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
That should be easy. All the good US
animated series get canceled. Look at
ExoSquad, the story wasn't even done yet,
and they cancelled it!
(You ever wonder if the ES people were
Gundam fans? It shows.)

--==Kensu==--

Chris Schumacher

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
They did "The Mysterious Cities of
Gold"? Well, maybe there's hope.
I remember what I loved about TMCOG
was that they left in some of the swearing!
(Damn kids!, What the Hell are you doing?)

-*-==K*e*n*s*u==-*-

Geoffrey Scott

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
Chris Schumacher (cschu...@delphi.com) wrote:
: That should be easy. All the good US

Interesting credit in Exosquad (buried deep):

ADDITIONAL STORYBOARDS

SUNRISE, INC.

I would hazzard a guess that some episodes were stolen nearly verbatim from
Gundam or other Sunrise mecha shows.

Geo

Enrique Conty

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
In article <3tga5j$4...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com> g...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com (Geoffrey Scott) writes:
>Interesting credit in Exosquad (buried deep):
> ADDITIONAL STORYBOARDS
> SUNRISE, INC.
>I would hazzard a guess that some episodes were stolen nearly verbatim from
>Gundam or other Sunrise mecha shows.

If you knew what a storyboard is, you wouldn't be saying this...
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

Chris Bitner

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
Steve Pearl (star...@raven.cybercom.com) wrote:
: Ranma Saotome <lxl...@hertz.njit.edu> writes:

: >If you love Sailor Moon, guess what?!!!
: >It's coming to the fall line up in America. One problem!!!
: >Saban, the creator of Power Rangers, VR troopers, Cyber Samuri, is the

: >one who is bringing it over.

: >THIS MAN SHOULD DIE FOR PUTTING ALL OF THIS CRAP ON TELEVISION!!!
: >DIE SABAN, DIE!!!!#$$%$@^$%#&%^&%^&%*%^
: >

: Boy, this sounds familiar.

: Dirty Parui is coming to America! But the Bad news is, it has been
: purchased by Carl Macek. Blah Blah Blah.

: Give the show a chance people. You don't have to watch it. And you can
: still order your LDs from Japan is you want.

I don't care what they send over here, as long as I can get fan subs, or
I can get the originals....(smile)

Prabal Nandy

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
In article <3tga5j$4...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com> g...@kaiwan009.kaiwan.com (Geoffrey Scott) writes:

>I would hazzard a guess that some episodes were stolen nearly verbatim from
>Gundam or other Sunrise mecha shows.

And, of course,
You'd be totally Wrong.

You _can_ be a fan of Japanese animation and still enjoy the US variety as
well. ExoSquad stands solidly on its own without having to "Steal Episodes"
from Gundam. In fact, I'd say that its storyline is superior in many regards.
--
/| ________________ |pr...@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu | Lord of the Flies
O|===|* >________________> |http://sunset.bph.jhu.edu| 1st MPC Division

Widya Santoso

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
wmeu...@aol.com (WMeugniot) writes:

>No. The stories were originals. Gundam's structure was based on WW2 in
>the Pacific theater, EXO was WW2 in the European theater. Sunrise
>graciously helped me out in a storyboard crunch by allowing me to use some
>of their artists.

Ooh! The Exo's are the British, the Neo's are the Nazis, the Pirates are
the Americans, the civilians are the Belgians, Netherlanders, Norwegians,
Danes, Baltic staters, Polish, Austrians, Czechs, Greeks, Jews, Gypsies,
Homosexuals and Disabled persons, and the reporter woman is from Vichy
France. Now I get it.

Only one problem- who are the Soviets?

?:-)
--
Widya Santoso wsan...@nyx.cs.du.edu +61 6 288 0405
If Lene Lovich married Lyle Lovett, would they be known as

WMeugniot

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Yeh, most of us on EXO loved Gundam. In fact the animation under the
first season's end credits was by Sunrise. It was my intention to have
them animate the series as well, but we couldn't work out the business.

WMeugniot

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95

Neil Nadelman

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
A real shame too, since you had the story and the actors.
My one problem with EXO was just the shear inconsistancy of the
animation qualtiy. Some eps. were great, and others...weren't so
great. :)

So tell us, what would you have done with the show once the
aliens arrived on the scene? And what about that extra Phaeton clone
they never decanted?

Any chance you'd be able to get funding for a video release
to tie up the series' threads?

- Neil

Enrique Conty

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
In article <3tm34v$i...@nyx10.cs.du.edu> wsan...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Widya Santoso) writes:

>wmeu...@aol.com (WMeugniot) writes:
>>No. The stories were originals. Gundam's structure was based on WW2 in
>>the Pacific theater, EXO was WW2 in the European theater.
>
>Ooh! The Exo's are the British, the Neo's are the Nazis, the Pirates are
>the Americans, the civilians are the Belgians, Netherlanders, Norwegians,
>Danes, Baltic staters, Polish, Austrians, Czechs, Greeks, Jews, Gypsies,
>Homosexuals and Disabled persons, and the reporter woman is from Vichy
>France. Now I get it.
>
>Only one problem- who are the Soviets?

The Exos are the British and Americans. The pirates
are the Soviets, and Jonas Simbacca is Josef Stalin.
(Captain, the analogy is breaking up!!i ^o^)

P.S. BTW, nice to see Exo-Squad series producer
Will Meugniot lurking here... ^_^
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

WMeugniot

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
It's strange to be posting on a Sailormoon board, but... To be honest the
third season was pretty much "to be determined" when the series ended. We
all liked the jumptroops and wanted to do more with them, so it probably
would have been paralel stories on earth with the squad and in the alien
dimension with the jumptroops.

I've left Universal, and while we're still friends, I work for a
competitor now and am not privy to the full inner workings of UCS any
more.

Currently I'm producing STREET FIGHTER. Lots of my friends from EXO,
including Eric Lewald and Michael Edens are working on it with me. The
animation is by Mad House and Sunrise!

PsychoKick

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
WMeugniot (wmeu...@aol.com) wrote:
[snip]

: Currently I'm producing STREET FIGHTER. Lots of my friends from EXO,

: including Eric Lewald and Michael Edens are working on it with me. The
: animation is by Mad House and Sunrise!

Huh? Do you mean that the SF anime TV series will be coming over to the
U.S.? Or do you mean that America is creating its own SF TV series?

-PsychoKick

"The Lord is my shepard, I shall lack nothing."
-Psalm 23:1

Enrique Conty

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u25as$k...@panix2.panix.com> wy...@panix.com (PsychoKick) writes:
>WMeugniot (wmeu...@aol.com) wrote:
>[snip]
>
>: Currently I'm producing STREET FIGHTER. Lots of my friends from EXO,
>: including Eric Lewald and Michael Edens are working on it with me. The
>: animation is by Mad House and Sunrise!
>
>Huh? Do you mean that the SF anime TV series will be coming over to the
>U.S.? Or do you mean that America is creating its own SF TV series?

The second part. And given the staff Will has working for him, it could
be quite good. (Certainly better than the Japanese SF2V series... >_<)
--
Enrique Conty
co...@cig.mot.com

Nelia Ferreira

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) writes:

>The second part. And given the staff Will has working for him, it could
>be quite good. (Certainly better than the Japanese SF2V series... >_<)

Hmm.. I have a few questions about this work-in-progress to whoever can
answer them:

1) How faithful will the storyline be? Van Damme faithful -_- or arcade
faithful ^_^ ?

2) This is probably to soon to ask, but how will Ryu's name be
pronounced? Will it be Raiyuu (ick), Reeyuu (like Ryouga in the Ranma
dubs), or Ryu?

3) Will Ken be white (Van Damme) or Japanese living in America (anime)?

4) If mentioned, will Ken and Ryu's sensei's name be Sheng Long -_- or
Gouken ^_^ ?

5) What will the general premise be? Will it take place in SSF2T's time
or SFA's time?

6) Are special moves and super combos going to be incorporated?

7) Which character(s) will be focused on the most? Ryu & Ken, Guile, or
someone else?

And a question for the rest of ya:

1) Should I crosspost this to alt.games.sf2?

Well, thanks fer yer time,
Paul Cordeiro

Ryan P. Gavigan

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95
In article <3u3l5r$1m...@rover.ucs.ualberta.ca> you write:
>co...@rtsg.mot.com (Enrique Conty) writes:
>
>>The second part. And given the staff Will has working for him, it could
>>be quite good. (Certainly better than the Japanese SF2V series... >_<)
>
>Hmm.. I have a few questions about this work-in-progress to whoever can
>answer them:
>
>1) How faithful will the storyline be? Van Damme faithful -_- or arcade
> faithful ^_^ ?

Let's put it this way, it's going to use the SF movie logo :P...

ryan gavigan
gav...@soyokaze.biosci.ohio-state.edu

Nelia Ferreira

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
gav...@soyokaze.biosci.ohio-state.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

> Let's put it this way, it's going to use the SF movie logo :P...

Does that mean Van Damme faithful? If so, may I make these suggestions
(read: pleas)?..

1) Can Dhalsim and Dee Jay *please* have the ability to fight? It was bad
enough that Dhalsim was made into a scientist.

2) Please *please* do not make Charlie and Blanka the same person.
Keeping Charlie dead (unless this is based on SFA) would create better
motivation for Guile to get revenge on Bison IMO. As for Blanka, his
real name is Jimmy.

3) Can Fei Long be included this time around?

My other six questions still stand. ^_^

Wondering whether I should bring this over to a.g.sf2 instead of here,
Paul Cordeiro