Patalilo

Qzwxecrv

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
I heard there are an anime called "Patalilo". What is about it?

Elizabeth HL Horn

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
In article <4kk8tk$3...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Qzwxecrv <qzwx...@aol.com> wrote:
>I heard there are an anime called "Patalilo". What is about it?

PATALLIRO (spellings vary), whose name was later changed to I,
PATALLIRO!, was a 49-episode anime TV series in '82-'83. It was based
on the bishonen manga by Maya Mineo. There was also an anime movie,
THE STARDUST PROJECT, in '83.

Like most bishonen stories, PATALLIRO is primarily populated by gay
men and boys; this sort of story is sometimes considered a "safe"
romantic fantasy for Japanese girls (see Schodt's MANGA! MANGA! for
more information on the genre). The story involved Patalliro, the
annoying genius kid ruler of the island of Marinera, source of a
fabulous diamond mine, Bancoran, his bodyguard, and Maraich,
Bancoran's jealous boyfriend vs. the International Diamond Syndicate,
a criminal organization bent on seizing the mine. A very bizarre
series which once had a tiny, fanatical U.S. following but whose mere
existence has almost been forgotten, I suppose.

--Carl "Well, I puke, I stink" Horn

Sea Wasp

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
In article <ziziDpr...@netcom.com>,

Elizabeth HL Horn <zi...@netcom.com> wrote:

>Qzwxecrv <qzwx...@aol.com> wrote:

>>I heard there are an anime called "Patalilo". What is about it?

>PATALLIRO (spellings vary), whose name was later changed to I,
>PATALLIRO!, was a 49-episode anime TV series in '82-'83. It was based
>on the bishonen manga by Maya Mineo. There was also an anime movie,
>THE STARDUST PROJECT, in '83.
>
>Like most bishonen stories, PATALLIRO is primarily populated by gay

>men and boys;\

Almost universally populated, you mean. If it looks like a man...
it's a man. If it looks like a girl.... it's a man. It's A-Ko's world
inverted in sex.

>more information on the genre). The story involved Patalliro, the
>annoying genius kid ruler

Calling Patalliro "annoying" is like referring to Prince Vegita
(DBZ) as "occasionally unreasonable". Patalliro is a DEMON FROM HELL.
His chosen bodyguards, Bancoran and Maraich, do their best to kill him
from time to time. Unfortunately, Patalliro is part 'Toon, so the
most they manage to do is squash him out of shape.

of the island of Marinera, source of a
>fabulous diamond mine, Bancoran, his bodyguard, and Maraich,
>Bancoran's jealous boyfriend vs. the International Diamond Syndicate,
>a criminal organization bent on seizing the mine. A very bizarre
>series which once had a tiny, fanatical U.S. following but whose mere
>existence has almost been forgotten, I suppose.

Once seen, Patalliro! cannot be forgotten.

The best description I've ever made of Patalliro! is:

James Bond dies. Because he's killed so many people, lied,
etc., he goes to hell. On the other hand, he doesn't deserve a
hell at the level of most bad people -- he's saved the world so much.
He's used and thrown away women like kleenex... so he will never have
another woman. On the other hand, he's so dashing, debonair, and
heroic that he DOES deserve some kind of compensation... so he'll have
a boyfriend who LOOKS like a girl. (Most male Patalliro! fans/watchers
want a direct physical examination before they'll believe Maraich
IS male.) Finally, he's still cool and debonair, but now he's assigned
as a bodyguard to a sadistic little demon (Patalliro).

Patalliro is the story of James Bond in Hell.

MEHA! KAMEH Sera-Fuku Bishonen Senshi
EHA AME Sailor Wasp
M ^@_____@^ H Sailor Suited Beautiful
"Trust me. A / / Sea \ \ A Box-Jelly Warrior
You don't have K / / Wasp \ \ !
much choice!" T ; /_________\ ; ! "For Love and Justice,
' ;|;;|;;|; N my .sig will give you
X | | | I a spanking!"
EDO ; ; ; D Z
KAMEN NEBLO Keeper of the Saint Seiya FAQ

Knight Z

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
>The story involved Patalliro, the annoying genius kid ruler of the island

of >Marinera, source of a fabulous diamond mine, Bancoran, his bodyguard,
and >Maraich, Bancoran's jealous boyfriend vs. the International Diamond
Syndicate,
>a criminal organization bent on seizing the mine.

Gosh, I really loved this series - b/c it was so crazy! ^_^
eh ... can I make one comment, though? Bancoran is NOT Patalliro's
bodyguard. He's an officer of MI 6 with double-0 number - which means he
has a license to kill. (James Bond is 007, I forgot what Bancoran's
number was...anyone?) Well, he and Maraich do end up guarding Patalliro,
anyway...against their will. <shrug>

Sorry to bubble - the thread brought me back all those memories on this
show...

Len

Elizabeth HL Horn

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
In article <4kptfg$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

If I recall, you're right that Bancoran was a MI-6 agent, but he was
assigned as Patalliro's bodyguard because the kid's late father,
Higgins III, was a good friend of the MI-6 chief, Iomante Sanders. As
we know, in real life, British intelligence has been rocked by
scandals involving homosexual double agents. PATALLIRO kind of solves
the problem by making everyone above, or below suspicion as the case
may be.

--Carl "When Mom and Dad went to the show" Horn

Mikiko Yoshida

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
: Patalliro is the story of James Bond in Hell.

I think we shouldn've forget mentioning about Huitto (sp?).

-- my, also, _patalliro_ is only one manga recognized an existance of
the state of North Dakota...

Mikiko Yoshida

Apr 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/18/96
Knight Z (kni...@aol.com) wrote:
: [...] James Bond is 007, I forgot what Bancoran's number was...anyone? [...]
I thought it was 006.

--my, Manga is still going, btw.