Welcome to Rec.arts.anime

Starbuck

Oct 17, 1990, 9:23:59 PM10/17/90
I thought I would post these "blasts from the past". These posts
include some very good guidelines for posting as well information
(some of it very outdated) about r.a.a Enjoy!

Steve
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck) Work: (908)932-3465 Home: (908)246-3927
UUCP: rutgers!remus.rutgers.edu!pearl ARPA: pe...@remus.rutgers.edu
US MAIL: LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)
Date: 14 Nov 87 11:52:32 GMT

WELCOME ANIMATION SEEKERS!

This newsgroup was organized into being by Eiji (AG) Hirai of
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania <cbmvax!swatsun!hi...@rutgers.edu> and myself
(Ann Schubert) of Menlo Park, California <schu...@src.dec.com> under
the influnce of a number of forces. The most prominient of those being;

The Animation of Nippon Inter-Mediary Exchange (A.N.I.M.E.)
of Menlo Park, California

The Cartoon/ Fantasy Organization of America (C/FO) and
it's president, Mark Keller of Hayward, California

The Urusei Yatsura Mail Group and it's host, Mark Crispin
of Stanford, California <urusei-yatsura%pa...@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>

Comics and Comix comic book shop of Palo Alto, California

Frederick Schodt of San Francisco, California
who authored _Manga! Manga!_

Encouragement from these groups, the voters of rec.arts.anime
and *many* others caused this group to become a reality.

BANZAI!!

From rutgers!husc6!hao!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!hplabs!decwrl!jumbo!schubert Tue Nov 17 11:45:49 EST 1987

Article 2 of rec.arts.anime:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Subject: Posting format: PLEASE READ!!
Date: 14 Nov 87 13:23:39 GMT

IMPORTANT POSTING FORMAT INFORMATION FOR REC.ARTS.ANIME

Although this newsgroup is not currently moderated, please carefully
keep in mind the following suggestions as you read and post.

The most important thing is that we are all here to learn more
about something. In order to learn we've got to listen too.

Always remember that posting you are reading is written by a person
just like you. They may have different beliefs or a different set of values
than you might, but they are as human as you are.

If something you read offends you... think about that a second. Go
back and try reading the article again. Perhaps you missed something or
the writer forgot to insert a smiley :-) At the worst, you only disagree
with the writer. Everyone has the right to speak. If you wish to confront
an issue, either do it *constructively* in this group or e-mail it
privately to the poster. Don't attack others for what appears to be their
lack of understanding. The success of this group will depend upon everyone's
generousity in understanding.

Always remember that this is an international network. People around
the world will be reading your postings. Think before you post and be
clear in your writing since people cannot *hear* you speak. Good thing
to know also is that your present or future employer could be reading
what you write! Post with grace.

Especially in this group we will have many newcomers to anime. They
will not know much of the jargon and proper spellings of the words used.
Correct them, but be kind. In return they will want to know more! We all
have much information to share! Please do NOT get into spelling wars
the proper spelling of a word. State your view and your reference and
others will do the same--Then decide who's right. When in doubt ask a
Japanese native speaker.

The use of spoilers here is a tricky one, considering that we are
trying to figure out often times just what is happening. If you feel that
you are revealing the content of a show, use the word *SPOILER* in the
keywords section of the header. If you cannot insert keywords in your
header, just put them at the top of the text you write. This is very
important to many people. Please be considerate.

-QUICK GUIDELINES TO BETTER COMMUNICATION-

include in your posting the following:

An *accurate* subject header
(don't use `reply' but instead generate a new header)

A summary in the keywords section
(example: A question about Area 88 manga)

When stating facts, list your reference
(example: New Miyazaki film! From Animage 11/87)

Be careful of copyrighted information
(some stuff is ok, others not. When in doubt, ask.)

By all means include a *complete* .signature
(example: full name, login &/or nickname, e-mail addresses,
phone number and location of your site)

1RST PRIORITY; HAVE FUN!!

If you need more information about USENET protocol,
read: news.announce.newusers

From rutgers!husc6!hao!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!hplabs!decwrl!jumbo!schubert Tue Nov 17 11:45:54 EST 1987

Article 3 of rec.arts.anime:
Newsgroups: rec.arts.anime
Subject: What is rec.arts.anime?
Date: 14 Nov 87 13:53:15 GMT

WHAT IS REC.ARTS.ANIME ABOUT?

Rec.arts.anime is a news group about animation from all countries
but primarily deals with disscussion about animation from Japan.

Discussions can range over all aspects of animation (including
computer animation) and you are free to persue whatever area you like,
but remember that most readers in this newsgroup will be interested
in the information pertaining to the Japanese entertainment industry.

Where there is a nebulous line between rec.arts.anime and comp.graphics
you are urged to consider which newsgroup could best benefit from your
posting.

WHAT TYPES OF SUBJECTS WILL BE COVERED?

Since the world of animation is so diverse, there are many avenues of
discussion to take. At this time, rec.arts.anime will host many different
subjects within the realm of animation. A few ;-) examples are listed below.
MANGA MUSIC MERCHANDISE VIDEO BOOKS TRANSLATIONS DOLLAR TO YEN
IMPORTS ARTWORK CHARACTER-PROFILES WHERE TO GET ANIME SUBTITLING

WHAT IS `ANIME'??
For those who are not familiar with the term, anime is a shortened form
of the word animation and is a term coined by the Japanese. Anime = Animation.
Anime is pronounced `annie-may', like a girl's name (who's Annie-May?)! Anime
is NOT capitalized (I just do it out of respect). Anime in Japanese katakana
(bold characters), looks very much like three of our own characters; p=x !
If someone asks you what P=X means, try very hard to enlighten them... ;-)

Eiji Hirai

Oct 17, 1990, 11:47:40 PM10/17/90
pe...@yoko.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:

> This newsgroup was organized into being by Eiji (AG) Hirai of
> Swarthmore, Pennsylvania <cbmvax!swatsun!hi...@rutgers.edu> and myself
> (Ann Schubert) of Menlo Park, California <schu...@src.dec.com> under
> the influnce of a number of forces.

Wow, talk about blast from the past!

Does anyone know what happened to Ann Shubert? I remember hearing that she
quit her job at DEC and became a writer of sorts. I was always jealous of
the folks in California because they always had those weekly anime parties.
Oh well. Maybe someday, I'll migrate to the sunny state.

--
Eiji Hirai @ Mathematics Dept., Swarthmore College, Swarthmore, PA 19081-1397
hi...@cs.swarthmore.edu | hi...@swarthmr.bitnet | uunet!hirai%cs.swarthmore.edu

Garland Operator 7-G

Oct 19, 1990, 1:55:00 PM10/19/90
----- Eiji Hirai writes:
>Does anyone know what happened to Ann Shubert? I remember hearing that she
>quit her job at DEC and became a writer of sorts. I was always jealous of
>the folks in California because they always had those weekly anime parties.
>Oh well. Maybe someday, I'll migrate to the sunny state.

I dunno, but I would be interested in knowing also. The last time I remember
hearing from her was around May-June 1988. I was jealous of the parties also.

Ut-Oh... I just did a Mark Newton-John (4 posts in one day :-)

Domo. Ja na.

Brandon Freels (Garland Operator 7-G)
bra...@aardvark.ucs.uoknor.edu -or- bra...@uokucsvx.bitnet
"I'm witty naturally, I don't need quotes."