MORE INFO ON US DRAGONBALL

MSO...@news.delphi.com

Aug 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/18/95

Well guys, after further information gathering, i think i've found out
whats really going on with Funimation and the dubbed Dragon Ball tape
that i've seen.

First off, from what it sounds like, this probably IS the harmony gold
version from years ago... But as far as i can figure it, and from what
i've heard from the vidoe guy at capital, this first tape of the first DB
movie was purchased outright from harmony gold by funimation with
the purpose of being sort of a "sample" tape for them to send to TV
stations... something to show them to get the TV station programmers
interested in picking up the rest of the series... I guess we should thin
kof it as the american Dragon Ball pilot episode...

Supposedly, the video i've seen will either be released like an OAV in
video stores when the series airs, or won't be used at all... I guess
i've been told that most of the other movies might also be released on
video here as a tie in to the series...

I've ALSO been told that the American TV series WILL be made from the
japanese TV series, most likely.

It all boils down to this-- IF funimation is going to release the first
movie to stores, AS IS, that means they will have to keep the cheesy
names that harmony gold stuck them with... and use them in the TV
episodes also... but since Oolong ewas called Chester in this video, and
someone said he was called something else in the HG dub, i thin kwe are
seeing the level of dub quality we're going to get from funimation...

Oh well, aside form the names being changed, I guess the video i saw
wasnt really all that bad. I suppose kids will like it, but they think
MMPR is the pinnacle of tv excellence, so what do THEY know??

When all is said and done, I guess all we can really do is sit and wait
for the premeire episode to air on tv in september...

I'm sure i'll still be watching it every week when it does come out...
even a little mangled, DB is STILL heaps better than anything else on
american tv <new japanese imports excluded of course ;)>. I'm just
praying for some imported DB toys from bandai.. maybe some plushes or
somehting? But with my luck they'll be "americanized" toys.. "yes, even
though they have big eyes and look a certain way in the show, kids wont
like them un;less they look like g.i. joe dolls..."

Oh well.

I've got my subs, at least :)

-Matt-