[Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Valentine's Day Special

Ranma Saotome

Feb 14, 1995, 11:49:12 PM2/14/95

Daigakusei no Ranma

Written by \ David Tai \
\ Paul Gallegos \
\ John Walter Biles\

Based on characters created by \ Rumiko Takahashi \

Valentine's Day Special: "Will You Be Mine? Bittersweet Holidays"

[Afternoon at Mizunoikan University. A lone figure walks along the path in the
shade of the overhanging trees. Music emanates from her walkman headphones as
she stops under a particularly shady tree and sits down. She rummages through
her backpack for a moment before pulling out a notebook. Another figure sneaks
up behind her silently and covers her eyes with his hands.]

Shirow: Guess who?

Junko: [drops notebook in lap] Um... Um... Wait... I know this person...
[snaps fingers] Oh.. wait... ahh... I give up. [smiles]

Shirow: [removes hands, pouting] Oh, so that's how it is...

Junko: [turns around] I was just kidding! [smiles and kisses Shirow]

Shirow: [grins] Well, I _guess_ I can forgive you this time...

Junko: So what are we going to do tonight? [glances at notebook] I'm basically
done with my homework for the day.

Shirow: Hmm. I was going to ask YOU that, actually. What would you like to do?

Junko: Well, I was thinking maybe we could go somewhere, by ourselves, maybe
have a romantic dinner...

Shirow: Sure, that sounds great! McDonald's ok?

[Junko face-faults.]

Shirow: [holds hands up] Just kidding! How about we try that restaurant down
by Saotome's place... Chez something-or-other.

Junko: Hai! I've been wanting to go there for a while now...

Shirow: Great! [pauses] What time should I pick you up at?

Junko: How about ... 8:00?

Shirow: Sounds good. [smiles and kisses Junko again] I'll see you then.

Junko: I'm looking forward to it. [smiles and hugs Shirow]

[Shirow gets up and heads toward one of the buildings.]

Shirow: [calling back] Oh yeah! Dress appropriately!

[Junko smiles as she watches him go, then puts her notebook away and closes
her eyes for a quick nap.]

* * *

[Hitomi walks up the stairs to Room 4 and knocks at the door. She waits for a
minute, then knocks again, a little louder.]

Kazuyo: [exiting Room 5 with feather duster] Oh hello, Hitomi-chan. What are
you doing? [smiles]

Hitomi: [turns around] Ohayo! I was just looking for Ranma-kun... and Akane.
[smiles]

Kazuyo: Well, I believe that they went to visit Akane's sister today.

Hitomi: Oh. [smile fades momentarily, then returns] Do you think they'll be
back today?

Kazuyo: Hmm, I don't know, dear. Gomen. [walks downstairs]

Hitomi: Arigato, Kanrinin-san. [sighs]

[Hitomi looks at the door to Room 4 once more, then heads downstairs as well.]

* * *

[Evening. Junko paces around the room nervously in a flowery dress while Nabiki
watches with amusement from the couch. ]

Nabiki: You're going to wear a hole in the carpet if you keep it up.

Junko: Sumimasen... [stops and sits on the floor] I'm just waiting for
Shirow-kun to show up. [looks at watch] He's already 10 minutes late...

Nabiki: [looks at her own watch] Didn't you set your watch ahead 15 minutes
last week so you'd be on time for that morning class of yours?

Junko: [blinks] Oh! Hai! [hand behind her head]

[A knock is heard at the door, producing a smirk from Nabiki and an embarrassed
blush from Junko. She stands up and walks over to the door, runs her hands
through her hair quickly, then opens the door. Shirow stands outside with an
umbrella in hand.]

Shirow: Konbanwa! Tendo-san. [bows slightly toward Nabiki]

Junko: Konbanwa, dear. [kisses Shirow]

Nabiki: Ahem. Well, I've got to... uh, floss the cat right now, so you two have
fun. [heads upstairs]

Shirow: Sugoi...

Junko: Nani?

Shirow: I didn't know your roommate was THAT obsessed with cleanliness...

[Junko face-faults.]

Junko: [recovering] Uh... that's her sister, Tendo Kasumi.

Shirow: Oh! [blinks and smiles] So are you ready to go?

Junko: [nods] Un! [points to umbrella] What's that for, anyway?

Shirow: The radio said it might rain tonight. Better safe than sorry. [shrugs]

Junko: Makes sense to me. [smiles and gets coat out of closet] Let's go!

[Shirow escorts Junko to his waiting car, opening the door for her and closing
it when she gets inside. He then walks around to his side of the car and gets
in. However, the car doesn't move after several minutes...]

Junko's voice: What's wrong?

Shirow's voice: I think I left the ignition keys in your door...

* * *

[Hitomi is walking to work, being sure to stay under the streetlights. She
sighs and crosses her arms over her chest, her coat pulled tightly around her.]

Hitomi: [thinking] Valentine's Day, and I have to work. I s'pose it could be
worse, having to spend it with that baka Fujio. I'm glad that Ranma-kun
isn't anything like that - at least he treats me nice...

[Hitomi sighs again and closes her eyes...

Hitomi: [giggles] You know, we haven't been introduced yet. I'm Akiyama
Hitomi.

Ranma: Saotome Ranma. [grins]

... Hitomi opens her eyes again and continues her walk to work, finally
stopping at the front door to Chez Funsui.]

Hitomi: [aloud] Time to go to work. [opens door]

[As Hitomi walks inside, she is immediately mobbed by several waitresses all
asking her questions.]

Waitress 1: Akiyama-san, can you work for me tonight? I need the night off...

Waitress 2: No, no, Akiyama-san, please trade shifts with me! I'll work this
Friday for you...

Waitress 3: Akiyama-san, I have a date tonight and need the time off really
badly! Please please please can you work for me...

[Hitomi only sighs loudly and walks to the back room, followed by the
waitresses.]

* * *

[A car pulls up outside Chez Funsui. Shirow gets out quickly and runs around
the car to open the passenger door. Junko starts to get out, then ducks back
inside the car while Shirow gives her a quizzical look. She emerges again with
Shirow's car keys. Shirow sighs and looks at his feet while Junko puts them in
her purse. The two then enter Chez Funsui.]

Shirow: [whispering] This place seems nice...

Junko: [nods] Though we might be a bit overdressed... [looks around]

Shirow: Don't worry. You look fine... [smiles] as always.

Junko: [smiles] Arigato. [kisses Shirow]

Hitomi: [walking up] Irrashai mase! Would... Shimada-san! Shirow-san! How
nice to see you!

Junko: Akiyama-san! I didn't know you worked here! [smiles]

Hitomi: [smiles] Hai. Let me get you a booth in the back where you two won't
be disturbed, ne?

Shirow: Arigato gozaimasu. [smiles at Junko]

[Hitomi leads the two to an all-too-familiar corner booth and pauses in front
of it...

[Ranma and Hitomi are sitting together in a booth near the back of
Chez Funsui. Ranma reaches for the teapot. Hitomi swats his hand
playfully, then pours more tea for Ranma.]

... then smiles at the two as they are seated. She hurries off to the kitchen,
returning shortly with drinks. She then continues her rounds, keeping an eye on
the two as they converse.]

Shirow: She's a nice girl, ne? [staring at Junko's eyes]

Junko: [nods] Un. She is... [to herself] I wonder why she's working tonight?
A good looking girl like Akiyama-san should be out with her boyfriend
on Valentine's Day...

Shirow: [snaps fingers] Penny for your thoughts? [smiles]

Junko: [blinks] Oh! Uh... well, I was... just thinking... about Valentine's Day
and all.

Shirow: Oh? Do tell...

Junko: You know... how Valentine's Day is... um... for showing how much one...
um... cares about someone...

Shirow: [nods] Hai.

Junko: [swallows] I ... well, I'm glad I met you, Shirow-san.

Shirow: [softly] I'm glad I met you too. I've never been happier in my life
until now. [reaches across table]

Junko: [softly] Hai. Me too. [holds Shirow's hand across table]

[Hitomi watches from the door to the kitchen and smiles sadly, then turns
around and goes back inside.]

* * *

[Later in the evening, as many of the tables and booths are deserted, Junko and
Shirow finally get up to leave.]

Hitomi: [walking up] Was everything all right?

Shirow: [smiles] Couldn't have been better.

Junko: [nods in agreement] Hai. We're going to have to visit here more often.
[puts her arm around Shirow]

Hitomi: I'm pleased to hear that.

Shirow: [smiles with arm around Junko] Well, we must be going. Ja ne,
Akiyama-san.

Hitomi: [bows slightly] Mata douzo.

[Hitomi watches the two leave, then goes to clean some tables. As she starts to
wipe down one by the window, she sees Junko and Shirow stand outside by the
door as Shirow opens his umbrella. Then the two walk out to his car in the soft
rain, holding hands and kissing. She sighs and sits down at the table, resting
her head in her hands, watching as Shirow and Junko drive off...

Ranma: [sits down next to Hitomi] Ah. Much better.

Hitomi: [noticing Ranma's rumpled shirt] Where have you been all
this time? [starts fixing Ranma's collar] You missed most
of the fourth act.

Ranma: Uh... [smells Hitomi's perfume] H..Hitomi-chan.. you really
don't need to...

Hitomi: [blinks and looks up] Hmm?

[Hitomi's face is literally inches away from Ranma's, and he
immediately pulls away from her with a look of embarrassment.]

Ranma: I .. uh... [looks at stage] I think it's about time for the
play to continue.

Hitomi: [smiles and settles back in her chair] Ah, you're right.
[leans against Ranma's arm]

... After a while she gets up and continues to clean the leftover tables,
pausing only once to notice she is the only person left in the kissaten, aside
from the cook. She walks into the kitchen, leaving her dishrag on the table,
and the scene focuses for a moment on the rag before fading to black.]

finis.

Can you taste the sweetness
Of the flowers in your hand?
Can you smell the ocean spray
Captured in the sand? Can you hear me?

Can you picture
Chasing clouds across the sky?
Can you play a song
Without a reason why? Can you hear me?

Can you hear me?
Can you see me standing there? Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Can't you see me standing there? Can you hear me?
Can you hear me...

Credits :

Writers..............: David Tai
Paul Gallegos
John Walter Biles

Special Thanks to....: Robert DeLoura
Tanya Mundy
J.

The Tucson Animation Screening Society (TASS)
Denver Anime International

And of course Rumiko Takahashi

| Copyright (c) 1994 Digital Knight Communications |
| "Ranma 1/2" and its characters Copyright (c) 1994 |
| Viz Communications, Inc., Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
| and Rumiko Takahashi |
| DnR WWW site: http://www.hacks.arizona.edu/dnr.html |