[FanFic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 11

Ranma Saotome

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95

It's hard to tell +-------------------------------+
If she's in love | |
She doesn't let it show | Daigakusei no Ranma |
If that's what she's thinking of | |
She's a tough girl, though +-------------------------------+
She's got her pride | Written by: |
But she looked so fragile | Jim Miller, David Tai |
The day I saw her cry | and Paul Gallegos |
+-------------------------------+
There was you, you and me | Based on the characters |
And now I know | created by: |
Just where I want to be | Rumiko Takahashi |
+-------------------------------+
I don't want you saying you love me | Copyright (c) 1994 |
'Cause I can't say it, can't you see? | Digital Knight Communications |
And I don't want you to change your ways +-------------------------------+
'Cause I like you just the same | "Ranma 1/2" & its characters |
And all I want all this time | Copyright (c) 1994 |
All I need is your hand in mine | Viz Communications, Inc. |
And all I want all this time | Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
All I need is your hand in mine | and Rumiko Takahashi |
All I need... +-------------------------------+

Episode 11: "Could I Have This Dance? Ranma's On Stage!"

[As the sun rises, the sound of birds chirping competes with the gentle rustle
of leaves in the wind. The view pans across the rooftops of the city with the
college in the distance, before resting on a particular window of Maison
Sabaku. Akane and Ranma-chan are asleep on the futon, and the alarm clock near
Akane's side reads 6:04 a.m. The camera focuses in on Ranma-chan's sleeping
face.]

* * *

[The scene fades to Akane and Ranma asleep on the futon, the edges of the scene
being slightly out-of-focus. The alarm switches to 6:30 and emits its humming
buzz. Akane reaches out a hand to shut it off before rolling over to Ranma.
They hold each other closely for a moment before kissing tenderly.]

Akane: I love you, Ranma. I'm so glad I finally realized it.

Ranma: I love you too, Akane.

[Scene blurs to Ranma-chan lying on the floor in her old room at the Tendo
Dojo.]

Ranma-chan: [Sits up and stretches] What a scary dream... [shudders]

[Ranma-chan notices some dust on her tank top and attempts to brush it away.]

Ranma-chan: [yawns] I wonder what Kasumi's cooking for breakfast...

[Ranma-chan looks down and sees that the "dust" hasn't gone away and brushes at
it again.]

Ranma-chan: Chikusho! What _is_ this stuff?

* * *

[Cut back to the alarm clock which now reads 6:06. Ranma-chan's eyes snap open
and look down slowly. Her arm has slid underneath Akane's and is somewhere in
the vicinity of her chest. A look of complete fear covers Ranma-chan's face,
and she attempts to remove her hand without waking Akane. However, Akane rolls
over, taking Ranma-chan's arm with her and pulling Ranma-chan on top of her
back. This, of course, awakens her immediately.]

Akane: RAAANMAAAA!!

[Cut to outside Maison Sabaku. Ranma-chan goes flying head-first through the
window and into the tree with a loud *THUD*]

Akane: [from window] HENTAI!

[Ranma-chan is plastered face-first on the tree trunk, slowly sliding down,
while lights start coming on in various windows around the neighbourhood.]

* * *

[Mizunoikan University, mid-afternoon. In one classroom, the teacher draws
outlines of feet with numbers in them on the board while many of the students
are staring off into space or fast asleep. Ranma sits in the back row looking
out the window.]

Ranma: [yawns] Why am I so tired? [sighs] This class is WAY too boring.

[Ranma closes his eyes and remembers his dream from this morning.]

Akane's voice: I love you, Ranma. I'm so glad I finally realized it.

[Ranma opens his eyes and looks out the window again.]

Ranma: [to himself] Yeah, like she'd ever say that. I don't know why I dream
these things.

[Ranma turns his attention back to the teacher who is now lying on the desk on
his back. He rubs his feet in the chalk dust on the ledge before continuing his
pattern of foot prints across the board. Ranma looks around the room and
notices that he's the only one left awake. He sighs and slouches farther down
in his seat.]

* * *

[Akane turns around away from the figure in the shadows with tears in her
eyes.]

Akane: [voice catching] But I love you! [raises clenched fists to her face]
I've always loved you! [more quietly] Why can't you love me?

Teacher: That's much better Tendo-san.

[We see now that Akane is standing on a stage facing a dressmaker's dummy.
Several other students sit in the rows behind the teacher. Akane rubs her eyes
with her sleeve as the teacher makes some marks on a piece of paper.]

Teacher: Please practice number five on the syllabus for next time Tendo-san.
[makes a note on clipboard] Next, please!

[Akane moves off-stage and unclenches her hands, dropping some small slices of
onion into the garbage.]

Akane: [to herself] I'm glad I thought of that, I'd never have been able to cry
like that without a little help.

[Akane pauses for a moment as she collects her belongings. The scene changes
to the one just moments ago - Akane faces Ranma on stage, while Ranma has a
haughty expression on his face and is looking away.]

Akane: But I love you! Why can't you love me?

Ranma: [turns away] Kawaikune.

[Cut back to present. Akane picks up her bag and sighs.]

Akane: [quietly] That's about how it would go too.

[Akane zips up her bag and leaves via the backstage entrance.]

* * *

[Early evening at Maison Sabaku. Ranma is holding a book in his hand and moving
around the room. With each step he positions his foot carefully before setting
it down. Akane enters from the kitchen and sets a plate with several pieces of
cooked meat and rice on the table. Ranma picks up a piece without looking and
takes a bite.]

Ranma: This isn't bad. [pauses to swallow] Where'd you order it from?

Akane: I didn't order it. I made it.

[Ranma stops suddenly and glances around with a hunted look in his eyes.]

Akane: [looks miffed] Relax, it was frozen meat. I just followed the
directions. You threw such a fit last time when I seasoned it a
little that I left it alone this time.

Ranma: [in a hoarse voice] You put curry and ranch dressing on it!

Akane: [anger rising] Look, tonight was supposed to be YOUR turn to cook.
I'm just trying to do you a favor. If you don't like what I cooked,
then don't eat it!

[Ranma stops in mid-step and looks down. His stomach is still growling, causing
him to look at the plate of meat.]

Ranma: [slowly] Well, it doesn't _taste_ bad... and if you just followed the
instructions...

[Ranma takes another piece and tentatively chews on it, returning to his
studying. Akane, meanwhile stands with a shocked expression on her face.]

* * *

[Much later, Ranma continues his strange pacing around the room with his book
behind his back. He stops in midstride and pauses for a moment, then looks at
his book.]

Ranma: [muttering] I'm just _not_ going to be able to remember all this by
Friday.

Akane: [turns away from desk] What exactly _are_ you trying to do anyway?
A new fighting style?

Ranma: [slightly annoyed] I'm waltzing! I have a test Friday and I have to be
able to do at least one Western-style dance.

Akane: Hmmph! Well, you're going to fail that way, because you're doing it all
wrong!

Ranma: [annoyed] And how would you know?!

Akane: [continues studying] I learned it for a play last year! Your teacher was
the one who choreographed it!

Ranma: [thinking] Hmmm. I wonder... [to Akane] Really? Will you help me?

Akane: [warily] Why? If you'd paid any attention in class you'd know how, it's
not that hard... Besides, you should be practicing with your partner!

Ranma: I would be, but my partner works evenings! And if you think it's easy,
you shouldn't have any trouble showing me...

Akane: [frowning] Well, only if you'll read opposite me while I practice for my
reading tomorrow.

Ranma: Deal!

[Akane snaps her book shut and gets up from the desk.]

* * *

[On the rooftop, Choji is lying flat with numerous electronic devices attached
to his belt. He inches his way towards the window of Room 4 and stops,
listening for a moment. He then lowers a miniature camera and microphone
attachment to the window level. Satisfied that they're secure, he inches his
way backwards away from the edge.]

Choji: [wiping sweat from forehead] That should do it. This is gonna be great!

* * *

[Akane rummages through her tapes, finally finding what she was searching for,
and puts it in the player. Slow music eminates from the speakers, and she turns
around to face Ranma.]

Akane: Ready?

[Ranma looks at his book one last time, then sighs and puts it down.]

Ranma: [sullenly] Hai.

[The two start moving around the room slowly and jerkily as Ranma gets
accustomed to dancing with a partner.]

Akane: All it takes is a bit of practice and some music.

Ranma: [looking at his feet] Uh... sure, if you say so.

[Ranma steps to do a turn and yelps in pain as Akane steps on his feet.]

Ranma: [stepping gingerly] That hurt! I thought you were good at this!

Akane: I haven't done this in over a year!

Ranma: Uh-huh.

Akane: [stepping away] Do you want my help or not?

[At that moment, a knock is heard at the door. Ranma walks over to answer it.]

Hitomi: [brightly] Konbanwa, Ranma-kun, Akane-san!

Akane: [nods] Konbanwa.

Ranma: [smiles] What's up, Hitomi-chan?

Hitomi: I was wondering if I could borrow you for a while. I need to get to
work in a bit and don't want to walk alone.

Ranma: [turns to Akane] Is that ok? I'll help you rehearse when I get back.

Akane: [sighs] Hai. Hurry back. I need to get this memorized by tomorrow, or
else I'll lose points.

Ranma: [nods] Hai. [to Hitomi] Let's go.

[Ranma closes the door behind him as he leaves, while Akane sits back down at
the desk to read some more.]

* * *

[Choji closes his door and hurries over to a TV monitor. He plugs the cable
leading out the window into it and turns it on. However, the monitor only shows
static. Choji tries to fix the cable in the back, then adjusts several knobs on
the front, but the static remains. Choji leans back in his chair.]

Choji: [snaps fingers] Aha! I forgot to turn on the camera!

[Choji leaps out of his chair and rushes out of the room.]

* * *

Hitomi: ... that's so cool! I think dancing's great! [pokes Ranma's arm]

Ranma: [sighs] Yeah, maybe. I just don't see why I have to learn something like
a waltz.

Hitomi: [pauses] Didn't you say you had to do _a_ Western-style dance?

Ranma: [nods] Hai.

Hitomi: Then it doesn't necessarily need to be a waltz. It could be anything.

Ranma: Hmm. You're right. Except that everyone has a partner in the class, and
mine is already practicing the waltz anyway.

Hitomi: And where _is_ your partner, anyway?

Ranma: Unfortunately, she works evenings. Just my luck to be stuck with someone
who's never able to practice.

Hitomi: [sighs] Yeah, that is kind of bad.

[The two finally arrive at Chez Funsui.]

Hitomi: [turns to Ranma] Arigato. I never feel safe walking around here at
night.

Ranma: No problem. If you need me to walk you back when you get off of work,
give me a call.

Hitomi: [smiles brightly] I will! Ja ne! [enters kissaten]

[Ranma watches her walk inside, then turns around and heads for home.]

* * *

[Rooftop of Maison Sabaku. Choji is again inching his way forward to where the
external camera hangs.]

Choji: [sweating profusely] Just a... little... farther...

[He reaches the power switch and flips it on with a sigh of relief. The
camera's external red light comes alive. Choji smiles, then a look of panic
crosses his face as he realises he's sliding forward. He grabs the camera to
keep from falling, but only bends the frame, pointing the camera at the ground
before completely losing his grip.]

Choji: AAAAAA!!!!!

[*THUMP*]

[The camera hangs for a moment more, then it too falls to the ground.]

* * *

[Ranma jogs home and up the stairs to Room 4.]

Ranma: Hopefully, Akane forgot I said I'd read for her...

[He opens the door to find Akane on the couch mouthing words from a script.]

Akane: [looking up] I hope you're not thinking of trying to back out of helping
me learn this part...

Ranma: W-Where would you get an idea like that?

Akane: [dryly] I wonder.

Ranma: [unhappily] Okay.

Akane: [opens the script and hands it to Ranma] Your part is marked David.
I'll be doing Claudia.

Ranma: [takes the script] Don't you do any Japanese plays in this class of
yours?

Akane: It's an American Theater class!

Ranma: [snorts] That's a lame excuse... Who the heck would name themselves
'Tennessee' anyway? Lemme see now... [reads in choppy monotone]
"Claudia, where have you been... I've been waiting for you."

Akane: [reading smoothly and bubbling with happiness] "I went to the store on
my way! I wanted to get some more things for our picnic!"

Ranma: [raises eyebrow] What?

Akane: [frowns] That's not your next line...

Ranma: [looks surprised] But... [sighs]

[Time passes as they go back and forth. Akane's acting is good, while Ranma's
mood improves as he gets into it. Some time and several scenes later we see
Ranma and Akane sitting closer together on the futon than before. They hold the
script between then and read without passing it back and forth.]

Akane: [pointing at the bottom of the page] This should be the last scene
of the act I need to practice.

Ranma: [yawning] Good, I'm getting sleepy.

Akane: [takes Ranma's hand in hers as the script directs] "David, you can't
leave! I'll never see you again!"

Ranma: [looks at his hand in surprise] "B-But I can't stay here any longer...
The mill's closed and I need to support Mom and Sis."

Akane: "Oh David!"

[Akane's expression is sorrowful and tears are forming in her eyes, much to
Ranma's discomfort.]

Ranma: [reading the next line] "I'll be back for you Claudia... kisses her...
I'll be back."

Akane: [expression returning to normal] You're not supposed to _read_ the parts
in italics, you're supposed to _do_ them!

Ranma: Oh come on! You told me you have to act to a dummy! You're not going to
kiss the dummy! [crosses arms over chest]

Akane: [signs of rage aura begin to form around her] Ranma....

Ranma: [stands up] Or are you? [grins]

[Shift to long distance exterior shot. A huge crash sets every dog in the city
barking; lights come on all over town. At Maison Sabaku the outside wall shows
a strange, human-shaped bulge.]

* * *

[Afternoon at Mizunoikan University. The "gang" (Ranma, Ukyou, Makiko, Junko,
and Shirow) is sitting under a large shady tree eating lunch. Junko is leaning
against Shirow, who has his arm around her.]

Ukyou: [sipping drink] ... so what do you think, Ran-chan? Personally, I still
think that it'd make a nice addition to the apartment.

Ranma: [ignoring Ukyou and talking to Makiko] I don't know if you can really
consider milk crates to be furniture...

[Ukyou sighs, crestfallen.]

Makiko: They're better than no furniture; not all of us have rich relatives you
know.

Ranma: Who has rich relatives?

Makiko: You!

Ranma: [blinks] Nani?

Ukyou: [laughing] I think she means Nabiki.

Ranma: Hmph. [crosses arms] Believe me, it's not by choice.

Junko: I wish I had some spare cash to go to the new dance club in town...

Shirow: Dance club?

Junko: Hai. Haven't you seen the flyers around campus?

Shirow: Flyers?

Junko: [looking back at Shirow] Colored pieces of paper stapled to everything
including slow moving students?

Shirow: Oh! THOSE flyers.

[Junko sighs aloud.]

Ukyou: That sounds like fun! Junko, I can loan you some money, and we can all
go together. [turns to Ranma] Do you think Akane would like to go,
Ran-chan?

Ranma: I dunno, she might. I'll have to ask her later this evening.

* * *

[Ranma and Hitomi are walking down the street toward Chez Funsui. It's almost
dusk, and the shadows are long on the streets. Hitomi walks close to Ranma,
looking up at him, while he walks along with his hands in his pockets.]

Ranma: ... so now I need a partner for the dance, can you help me out?

Hitomi: [giggles] You're asking me to ask you to your dance?

Ranma: I wouldn't have to if my stupid partner hadn't hurt herself in another
class. I tried to get Ukyou to go with me, but she's already promised
to double date with Junko and Shirow and a friend of Shirow's.

Hitomi: As much as I'd like to, Ranma, I can't take you to the dance.

Ranma: [surprised] Why not?

Hitomi: For one thing I have to work, and for another, a girl just doesn't take
someone else's husband to a dance like that.

Ranma: [blinks] A dance like what?

Hitomi: The whole point behind this dance is so a woman can get the attention
of a the guy she likes. [quickly] Not that I wouldn't love to go with
you... but I really have to work.

Ranma: [sighs] Well, now who am I going to get to go with me?

Hitomi: Why don't you just ask Akane?

Ranma: [remembers earlier practice] Does the phrase "complete klutz" mean
anything to you?

Hitomi: Oh. [giggles]

Ranma: Besides, I'm sure she's too busy to go. She's studying for another
play of hers.

[The pair arrives at the door to Chez Funsui.]

Hitomi: Well, you never know... maybe if you ask her _nicely_ to take you to
the dance...

Ranma: Hmm... Maybe.

Hitomi: [holding the door for a moment before letting it close] And for
goodness' sake, _don't_ tell her you asked anybody else first.

Ranma: ...

* * *

[Maison Sabaku. Akane is washing dishes in the sink, scrubbing vigorously at
a large frying pan with steel wool as Ranma walks into the kitchen.]

Ranma: [picking up a dish towel] Need some help?

Akane: Sure.

[Ranma looks for a moment at what Akane's doing and blinks. He opens his mouth
as if to speak, but then closes it again.]

Akane: I've almost gotten all the black stuff off this pan. It was really
coated with that junk!

Ranma: [looks at the pan again] Yeah, it WAS.

Akane: [smirks] At least you can't complain about my dish washing!

Ranma: Akane...

Akane: [scrubbing intently for a moment at a stubborn patch] Hmm?

Ranma: I need to ask you to do me a favor.

Akane: [pauses for a moment] Oh?

Ranma: Um, you know I have a test in my dance class soon...

[Akane sets the pan back in the dishwater and starts to rinse some glasses.]

Akane: You need more help practicing?

Ranma: No... [takes a deep breath] I need a partner. The test is going to be
part of the dance competition. My assigned partner pulled a muscle in
skiing class...

Akane: Skiing class? Isn't that the one where they ski on machines while
watching a TV showing a ski trail?

Ranma: [nods] She _claims_ that she tried to follow the trail when it turned
suddenly, and she fell off the machine.

[Akane smirks as she turns away to add more dishes to the dishwater.]

Akane: So now you need a partner. Why ask me?

Ranma: Because I... [remembers Hitomi's advice] Because you dance well and...

Akane: [looks startled] Really?

Ranma: Yeah... [looking a little annoyed] So will you help me or not?

Akane: [recovering smoothly] Well, I suppose I can, but it'll cost you.

Ranma: Nani?

Akane: I saw on a talk show that if your husband wants an unusual favor a woman
should make him give her "wishes" for it.

Ranma: Wishes?? What the hell...

Akane: [breaking in] Ranma, I'll be your dance partner in return for your
promise to grant me ten wishes.

Ranma: Ten?! No way! Even I know wishes always come in threes. Besides, what
are these wishes supposed to be for?

Akane: Seven! It's inflation. They are promises that you'll do whatever I wish
for.

Ranma: Four! Whatever you wish for? Like if you wish for the moon, I'm supposed
to wrap it up in a bow for you?

Akane: Six. It wouldn't do me any good to wish for something you couldn't do,
would it?

Ranma: Five. Only if you promise not to use them to embarrass me.

Akane: Done! And you put the dishes away.

Ranma: [sticks out his hand] Deal.

[Akane holds out a suds covered hand and shakes with Ranma.]

Ranma: [wiping the suds off in his dish towel] Geez, if Kyoko hadn't hurt
herself I wouldn't have to promise anything.

[Akane pauses while extracting the large frying pan from the sink.]

Akane: Hmm. Nijizaka Kyoko? She was your assigned partner?

Ranma: Yeah, why?

Akane: I'm understudy for her in a play tomorrow. [frowns] She was going to get
her brothers to build the sets for it, but if she's not going to be in
it we'll need to get someone to... [smiles slowly]

Ranma: [putting glasses away in the cupboard] Someone to what?

[Akane removes the last remaining bit of black from the frying pan with a sigh
of relief.]

Akane: There! [to Ranma] To build sets. [smiles] And I just happen to know
someone who owes me a few favors... or wishes.

Ranma: [sighs] I guess I do. When do I start?

[Akane smiles, removes her apron and walks out of the kitchen.]

Akane: As soon as you're done putting the dishes away.

[Ranma looks at the large frying pan despondently.]

Ranma: Great.

[He turns over the now gleaming steel pan and peels the "Teflon-Coated" sticker
off the handle.]

* * *

[Akane leads Ranma into the chaos filling the community center theater.]

Ranma: What kind of a play is this anyway?

Akane: [looking around] It's the community center's annual musical. Do you
see... there he is! [waves] Yagai-san!

[A large, muscular man in a sleeveless t-shirt turns around and searches for
the source of the call. Seeing Akane, he threads his way toward her through the
crowd and clutter.]

Ranma: Who?

Akane: He's the prop-master.

[Yagai stops in front of Akane and smiles.]

Yagai: Konnichiwa, Tendo-san. [Ranma twitches]

Akane: [smiles] Yagai-san, this is Saotome Ranma, he's going to help us out
with the sets.

Yagai: [looks at Ranma appraisingly] Well, he's not Kyoko-chan's four
brothers but one is better than none.

Akane: [eyes Ranma significantly] I'm sure he'll be all the help you could
*wish* for. I've got to go rehearse now, bye!

Yagai: [watchs Akane depart and mutters] This is her mysterious husband?

Ranma: Nani?

Yagai: Nothing. Let's get started--First thing is the mountain.

Ranma: [blinks] Mountain?

[Yagai leads Ranma over to where he was working earlier.]

Yagai: [gestures] We need to make a mountain. First we build a wooden frame...
Che! Somebody took the saw!

[Crack!]

Ranma: [holding up a cleanly cut 2x4] You wanted it cut on the line, right?

Yagai: [a little bug eyed] Er, yeah.

[The framing for the mountain goes up quickly. Ranma "cuts" and Yagai nails.]

Yagai: [wipes sweat from brow] Whew! I wish I could nail these faster; then
it wouldn't take so long.

Ranma: Hmm. Let me try. [pauses] TENSHIN AMAGURIKEN!!!

[Ranma uses the tenshin amaguriken technique and succeeds in driving all the
nails into the frame of the mountain... and into the floor as well. Yagai
stands next to Ranma with mouth agape, while Ranma has one hand behind his
head and a sheepish grin on his face.]

Ranma: Uh... maybe I did it a little _too_ hard?

Yagai: ...

[The damage is soon repaired, however, and the two complete the mountain in
record time.]

Ranma: Right. One wooden structure. Now what?

Yagai: [sweaty and winded] Chicken wire... Need the... chicken wire.

Ranma: Right. [leaps over several groups of people, bounces off a spotlight,
and lands near a stack of materials]

Yagai: [groans] Oooh.

[Ranma's martial arts are less helpful covering the frame work with wire mesh
and the grey paper mache' that follows. Ranma seems nervous around the spray
bottles used to keep the mache' wet. Both men are sweaty and tired when they
take a break around midnight.]

Yagai: [squirting himself with a spray bottle] I'm prepared to call it
mountainous enough, how about you Ranma-kun? Here, it'll cool you off.
[tries to offer Ranma the spray bottle]

Ranma: [nervously] Er, no thanks.

Akane: [walks onto stage] How's it going?

Yagai: We were just deciding that the mountain is done. I can handle painting
the back drops if you two kids want to go home. [winks broadly to Ranma]
I wasn't expecting to finish up with this thing until morning.

Akane: Good. We need to be here early tomorrow.

Ranma: We? Whaddaya mean "we"?

Akane: We need people to move the props too you know.

Ranma: Oh...

* * *

[Ranma and Akane arrive back at Maison Sabaku, where Kazuyo waits at the front
door.]

Kazuyo: Konbanwa, Ranma-kun, Akane.

Akane: Konbanwa, Kanrinin-san!

Ranma: What's up?

Kazuyo: Well, I've been meaning to speak to you about the interesting holes and
other assorted dents and cracks in the walls that seem to be popping up
lately. If this keeps up, I might have to ask you to leave.

[Both Ranma and Akane stare at the ground, shuffling their feet.]

Kazuyo: Now, I don't want to have to do that, because I do so enjoy your
presence here. But you both need to settle down a bit, ok?

Ranma & Akane: Hai, Kanrinin-san.

Kazuyo: [smiling] Great! I always hate to give speeches like that, but it
always seems to work. Now, if you'll excuse me... [goes back inside]

[Ranma and Akane stand outside the door for a bit longer, each looking around
the yard. Finally, Ranma opens the door.]

Ranma: I guess you should get to work, ne?

Akane: Yeah, guess so.

[The two walk inside and close the door behind them. Inside, Ranma sits down
and turns on the tv, but his eyes follow Akane as she walks to her desk, sits
down, and starts reading her script. Feeling Ranma's eyes on her, Akane shifts
uncomfortably, then turns around and looks at Ranma. Ranma quickly shifts his
attention to the television. Akane turns around, and Ranma's eyes follow her,
causing Akane to turn around again. Finally, Akane speaks.]

Akane: You okay?

Ranma: Er... I'm fine.

Akane: [tilting head] Something's bothering you. What?

Ranma: [lifting his knees to his chin] What makes you think something's
bothering me?

Akane: ... [turns to desk]

Ranma: [mumbles something]

Akane: [turns head] What?

Ranma: Nothing.

[Akane tosses down her script and walks over to Ranma.]

Akane: [putting hands on hips] Tell me.

Ranma: [putting hands behind head] Nothing, *Tendo*-san.

Akane: [blinking, then looks exasperated] Not that again. It's my stage name!

Ranma: What's wrong with using Saotome?

Akane: Because... [pauses, a confused look coming across her face.] Because
I said so!

Ranma: What kind of logic is that?

[Ranma grins. Akane glares angrily, and lifts her hand...]

[Outside, Kazuyo is sweeping the porch. She stops, and stares in dismay as a
figure goes hurling out the window.]

Ranma: [voicing tailing off] KAWAIKUNE!!!

[Kazuyo sighs, and shakes her head.]

* * *

[Early morning. Ranma and Akane walk along the still wet sidewalk as the clouds
give way to the bright sunshine.]

Ranma: [yawns] All I have to say is that I'd better get a good grade in my
dance class...

[Akane remains silent, pointedly ignoring Ranma.]

Ranma: ...

[They walk on for a time, before Akane speaks.]

Akane: They're expecting you at 8 am.

Ranma: Nani? I already did the work!

Akane: [coldly staring] All right. I'm going to use one more wish... on one
condition. You can't fight with the other stage hand.

Ranma: Why?

Akane: [smirking] You'll see.

* * *

[Ranma stands in the auditorium, facing a figure.]

Ranma: Chikuso. That tomboy. [He sighs, and taps figure on the shoulder.] Hiya,
drunk.

Lardizabal: [whirls around] What are _you_ doing here??

Ranma: For reasons beyond my control, I'm here to help.

Lardizabal: [sneers] Like you helped with _The Taming of the Shrew_?

Ranma: [smirks] It's not my fault you and Kuno knocked down the University's
theater. Speaking of which, how's it going on the new building?

Lardizabal: If that little blonde you're chasing hadn't bailed you, you'd be
down with me and Kuno working on it 6 days a week!

Ranma: Well, at least Kuno's springing for materials, ne?

Lardizabal: Hmph. If you're here to help, get over there and get ready to more
that table out - they were waiting for *Tendo* Akane so they could
start a final dress rehearsal.

Ranma: [clenching teeth] ...

[The rehearsal passes without incident. Ranma and Lardizabal work together
better than expected. The early performance begins smoothly. The two stand
offstage to one side during the opening scene.]

Ranma: So how many times to we have to do this today?

Lardizabal: [fumbling in a duffle bag at his feet] Just once.

Ranma: Once?! All this work for one lousy performance?

Lardizabal: Don't ask me, I'm just here to satisfy class requirements.
Ah! Here we are!

[Lardizabal removes a large bottle from the his duffle.]

Ranma: [blinks] What do you think you're doing?!

[Lardizabal pours some liquid into a pewter goblet and takes a drink.]

Lardizabal: Just a little nip, Saotome! [to himself] Then I can repay you for
ruining my last role! [aloud] Time for the dining room backdrop!

[Lardizabal puts the goblet down, and moves to another area, where he pulls on
a rope.]

Lardizabal: Here's to your health! [pulls out his bottle, and swigs from it.]

* * *

[Ranma jumps up to move the scenery as the curtain comes down briefly.
Grinning, Ranma starts to move up towards the lighting, when the backdrop
nearly knocks him off.]

Ranma: HEY! What the...?

Lardizabal: [slurring] C'mere! Can't you fight me when I'm ready? [tossing
bottle aside]

[Ranma leaps down from the lighting, pulls on a rope to lift a background out
of the way, ties the rope, and leaps back into the lighting.]

Ranma: [yelling down] You know, it's not easy to do _all_ the work _and_
dodge you at the same time.

Lardizabal: [still slurring] Then come and fight me!

Ranma: [thinking] I oughta pound him, wish or not. [picking up Lardizabal's
discarded bottle] Gee, there's a liiiittle bit left in here...

Lardizabal: [stops and stares] Hey! Give that back!

[Ranma tosses the bottle into a pile of costumes off to one side.]

Ranma: [grins] There you go!

[Lardizabal drops the stuffed sheep he was holding to shamble after the bottle.
He runs head first into a black painted pipe running over the pile and slumps
bonelessly.]

Ranma: That should take care of him for a while.

* * *

Akane: [on stage] They come by the mountain pass! We must hasten to meet them!

Ranma: [watching from the side] Right. Mountain time.

[As the curtain drops, Ranma hurries onto the stage.]

Akane: [whispering] Where's Lardizabal?

Ranma: [in low tones] Sleeping it off.

[Ranma grabs a large plywood castle wall and hauls it off, clearing the rest of
the props until only the mountain remains. Then he brings out a flat topped
boulder and places it mid stage. Akane passes him on his way offstage.]

Akane: [whispering] I've got the rest of it, thanks!

[Ranma gets clear just as the curtain is going up.]

Lardizabal: [from right behind Ranma] Thought you'd get away from me, did you?

Ranma: [spinning around in surprise] What you are doing up?

Lardizabal: [swaying violently, but speaking clearly] Did you think I didn't
know what I was doing? I'm a Drunken Style master! The rare vintage
I just drank along with special training allows me to be both drunk
and sober! [sways forward menacingly] And now you pay!

Ranma: ...

Lardizabal: [swinging wildly] I wouldn't have been ready until after the
performance if I hadn't hit my head. Usually it takes longer to
work. Domo arigato!!

[Ranma has trouble dodging Lardizabal's unpredictable swings. He jumps up and
into the wooden structure inside the mountain to avoid Lardizabal's attacks.]

Ranma: If I'd known, I would've let you keep the sheep... You seemed so
attached to it.

Lardizabal: [reddening slightly] You can't hide in there!

[Meanwhile, Akane kneels before a flat topped boulder, center stage. A dry loaf
of bread and a pewter goblet sit on the boulder. A creak distracts her from the
dialogue of the other players as the mountain shutters slightly.]

Ranma: [hopping lightly from strut to strut] I could do this all day,
what about you?

Lardizabal: [huffing and puffing as he laborously climbs over each
obstacle] You're a dead man, Saotome!

Ranma: Somehow I doubt it.

[Ranma stops to press his eye to a small hole. He can see Akane giving a
monologue on the other side. She raises a familiar-looking pewter goblet to her
lips.]

Ranma: [yelling] Akane!

[A hand closes on Ranma's ankle and pulls him off balance.]

Lardizabal: Gotcha!

Ranma: [windmilling his arms] Let go!

[Ranma swings forward and catches a glimpse of Akane lying on the floor.]

Ranma: You and your damn poison!

Lardizabal: [smugly] What?

Ranma: [kicking his leg free] You poisoned Akane!

[Ranma kicks Lardizabal in the chin, who drops to the floor below.]

Lardizabal: [getting up slowly] Bring it on, Saotome.

[Ranma jumps to the floor and looks at Lardizabal darkly. Meanwhile, Akane,
lying on the ground after drinking her "hemlock", opens one eye to peek at the
now quivering mountain. Lardizabal and Ranma trade blows, with Ranma getting
more punches in than Lardizabal.]

Lardizabal: [looking bruised but still game] Is this the best you can do,
Saotome?

Ranma: [landing several more blows] You'll feel it when that stuff wears off,
I guarantee it!

Lardizabal: Ha! If this is your best, I'll win Akane away from you in no time!

Ranma: [growls] You asked for it...

* * *

[Akane and the other players take their bows. Murmurs run through the audience
as several boulders bounce down the side of the mountain. As the heavy outer
curtains close...]

Ranma: [from behind the mountain] MOUKO TAKABISHA!!

[A large hole is blown in the mountain as Ranma's ki blast, along with
Lardizabal, punches through the paper mache'. Lardizabal hits the curtains,
causing a cloud of dust, and drops into the orchestra pit in a crash of
percussion instruments.]

Akane: Raannmma!

[Ranma pokes his head through the still-smoking hole and looks around. Seeing
Akane, he steps through and onstage.]

Ranma: [surprised] You're alive!

Akane: Of course I'm alive! Baka! [looks around and sighs] At least you waited
until the _end_ of the play.

* * *

[Akane and Ranma turn the corner and walk down the street toward the entrance
of Maison Sabaku.]

Akane: Do you think I'm dumb enough to drink anything that smells as vile as
Lardizabal's booze?

Ranma: Well...

Akane: Just be glad that the director didn't catch you this time. You're lucky
you were backstage when he saw what happened. Right now, Lardizabal
should be cleaning up most of the mess you made.

Ranma: [indignantly] I made?? Halfway through the play he decided to get drunk
and stopped helping! I did all the work! [pauses] In fact, I think I did
the work of 2 wishes instead of one.

Akane: Now wait just a minute...

[Just then, Ukyou calls to them from the front steps of Maison Sabaku.]

Ukyou: [jumping up] There you are! Akane, do you want to go shopping with me
and Makiko and Junko? Junko wants to get something new to impress Shirow
with tonight and we're going along to help.

Akane: What's going on tonight?

Ukyou: [smiles] Didn't Ran-chan tell you? We're all going to that new dance
club tonight!

Ranma: [scratching his head] Er, I kinda forgot.

Akane: We need stay home and practice dancing for Ranma's test tomorrow, don't
we, Ranma? [Ranma nods]

Ukyou: [laughs] You're going to stay home and practice dancing when you could
go out dancing for real? That doesn't make a lot of sense, you know.

Ranma: [pondering] Well, I suppose it would work as well...

Akane: [dryly] I'm sure they'll have lots of waltzes.

Ukyou: It's more important to dance _together_ than it is to have the steps
perfect, isn't it? [grabs Akane's hand] We've got to hurry, Makiko
and Junko might leave without us! [pulls Akane off after her] Ja ne,
Ran-chan!

Akane: Hey! Chotto... [follows Ukyou]

[Ranma watches the two run off, then climbs the steps to Maison Sabaku.]

Ranma: [to himself] I just hope she's right.

* * *

[Colored lights pierce the darkness with dazzling brightness. The shadows seem
darker for the glimpses the sweeping beams provide. The very floor throbs with
the bass line of the music, while in one corner, a man moves around the dance
floor filming everyone with a small camcorder. A group of young people stand
near the entrance looking out at the riot of darkness, color and gyrating
dancers below.]

Makiko: Wow!

Junko: [shouting to be heard] What was that?

Ukyou: She said 'Wow'!

[Ukyou and Makiko are only slightly dressed up with nice blouses and jeans.
Junko and Akane both wear nice casual dresses. Shirow looks great in a loose
fitting suit. Ranma's wearing his normal Chinese style clothing, but with a
dark green shirt that compliments Akane's light tan dress very well.]

Ranma: [over the pounding beat] Now what?

Shirow: Now, we dance!

[Shirow takes Junko's hand, and they spin into the crowd on the floor with
incredible grace. Ukyou, Ranma and Akane all blink in unison.]

Makiko: [laughing] Didn't you know Shirow was captain of his high school's
award winning dance team?

Akane: Wow.

Ranma: [leaning his ear toward her] What?

Akane: Nothing. I think we're blocking the way, come on.

[By the time Ranma and Akane walk out on the floor, two young men have already
invited Makiko and Ukyou to dance.]

* * *

[There's barely a pause as the current song fades into a slow dance song.
Several couples take this chance to make their way back to the bar for
refreshment. Ranma and Akane meet up with Shirow and Junko again.]

Akane: You guys dance great together!

Junko: [blushing a little] It's mostly Shirow, it's like he's telling me where
he's going and where I should go without saying a word.

Shirow: [looking fairly confident for a change] Just a matter of practice and
coordination.

Junko: Come on Akane, I need to freshen up.

[Junko and Akane leave for the ladies' room.]

Ranma: I'll never figure out why they have to go to the restroom in pairs.

Shirow: You know, I'm really surprised that you and Akane don't dance together
better.

Ranma: [surprised] Why's that?

Shirow: Easy! I don't mean to insult you, I just thought that since you're both
martial artists you'd dance better.

Ranma: What's martial arts have to do with dancing? Except combat dancing, of
course.

Shirow: [pauses] Well, in martial arts you try to guess what your opponent is
going to do next from body language and muscle movements, right?

Ranma: Yeah, but the better the martial artist, the harder it is to read them.

Shirow: But if they weren't _trying_ to hide their next move it would be easy
to tell, ne?

Ranma: I suppose... but nobody who's any good is going to do that.

Shirow: But right now you're dancing together, not fighting. If you open up a
little and stop trying to hide your next move, you'll dance together
much better.

Ranma: I don't know...

Shirow: Just try it. You don't even need to tell Akane, just try not to hide
your intentions.

Ukyou: [coming up just as the slow song is ending] Hey Ran-chan, you'll come
have a dance with me too, won't you?

[Ranma pauses for a moment, and Ukyou moves closer and looks a little
apprehensive.]

Ukyou: Please? [clasps both hands together]

Ranma: [low monotone] Hai.

* * *

[Makiko, Akane and Junko come out of the ladies room together giggling.]

Junko: [teasing] Gee, Makiko, I didn't know the guys were so desperate around
here that five different guys would want to dance with you.

Makiko: [slyly] Maybe it's because of how many girls are already "attached".

Junko: [blushing and giggling] Makiko!

[Akane ignores the other two for a moment as she spots Ranma and Ukyou dancing
close and whispering back and forth. Ukyou seems sad, while Ranma looks
somewhat sympathetic.]

Akane: [to herself] Maybe he'll forgive her, finally.

[The song ends and as Ranma and Ukyou part, and they smile a little at each
other. Ranma moves toward the bar again while Ukyou makes her way toward the
ladies' room.]

Akane: You guys go on, I want to talk to Ukyou a minute.

Makiko: [looking toward Ukyou] Are you sure?

Akane: Don't worry, it's not like I'm jealous or anything.

Junko: [as Makiko leads her away] What was that about?

[Ukyou wipes at her tears a bit as Akane draws near.]

Ukyou: [voice cracking] Hi, Akane.

Akane: [touches Ukyou's arm] How'd it go?

Ukyou: Well, I wouldn't say all is forgiven, but we're going to try to be
friends again.

Akane: [sighing in relief and smiling] Let's get you cleaned up a little.
Makiko says there's a lot of lonely guys here looking for partners!

[Ukyou manages a small smile as the two girls enter the ladies' room together
while the music speeds up.]

* * *

[As the evening passes Ranma and Akane dance better and better together until
they're on a par with Shirow and Junko... or maybe even a bit better.
Eventually they end up sharing the open center of the floor with Shirow and
Junko in a small contest: one couple performs a sequence and the other tries to
duplicate it and improve on it, to the cheers of the ring of onlookers.]

Announcer: [as the song ends] Thank you for that marvelous demonstration! Now
let's everybody dance the next few!

[Some good-natured laughs and some low voiced mutters about show-offs follow
the four as they leave the floor for an empty side booth.]

Junko: [sliding into the booth next to Shirow] Wow, were you guys holding back
earlier or what?

Shirow: [smirking] Maybe they just needed to practice a little first.

[Suddenly, all eyes at the table turn to look at the commotion at the front
door. Two bouncers are escorting a tall man with a camera outside, one on each
side of him. Several women take turns in slapping him as he walks by on his way
out.]

Man: I didn't do it, I swear!

Bouncer: Yeah, yeah... then tell me why you had this with you [holds up small
drill] and why there's a hole in the wall of the ladies' restroom?

Man: [indignantly] It's not my fault that you have rodents!

Bouncer2: Yeah, them rodents always make their holes at waist-level... [pushes
man forward] C'mon, let's go...

[As the man is pushed out the door, Shirow turns back to the table and shakes
his head in disgust.]

Shirow: Him again? [sighs]

Junko: Who?

Shirow: [points] That guy over there. He's in here every other day, always with
the same results. You'd think he'd lear...

Akane: [interrupting] Ranma, isn't that Choji?

Shirow: [blinks twice] You know him?

Ranma: [deadpan] Unfortunately. He lives next door.

Shirow: [patting Ranma on the back] My condolences.

* * *

[The next evening at the same dance club. Ranma and Akane move across the floor
awkwardly. Ranma wears a short coat, black tux, while Akane looks great in a
medium length blue dress with ruffles. The both have a number 4 pinned on their
backs.]

Ranma: [quietly] Ow! Geez, I'm glad you didn't wear heels!

Akane: [quietly] This was your idea, bright boy.

[Panning over the other dancers we see other couples doing much better and a
few doing worse.]

Girl: Kawaii! Kristin!

Other Girl: Hey, that's mine!

Boy: Here you are, I apologize for my partner.

Girl: Hey! Give me back Kristin!

A Different Boy: Hi there! What's your number?

A Different Girl: Dah-ling no BAKA! [*ZOT!*]

Nabiki: Place your bets here! Who'll be the top dancers! All bets covered!

Announcer: Now it's time for the dance competition! Each couple will be given
the spotlight in turn and judged on their performance! Good luck
everyone!

Akane: So we'll be the fourth couple?

Ranma: I guess. [to himself] And my grade is as good as gone. How could we do
so badly after dancing so well last night?

[The first two couples both waltz well and earn applause from the crowd. The
third couple does a jitterbug that seems to impress the judges. As the
announcer praises the previous dancers, the spotlight turns to Ranma and Akane.]

Ranma: [through clenched teeth] Now don't freeze up.

Akane: Me?!

[They glide across the floor like balls in a pachinko machine. Even the judges
wince as Akane come down on Ranma's foot after a particularly stunning turn.
Ranma is just stepping away from her in disgust when the music stops. Almost
instantly it is replaced by music with a throbbing bass line and techno beat.]

Akane: Nani?

Ranma: It's one of the songs from last night! [grabs Akane's hand] C'mon!

[The two slip into a totally different form of dancing; far less concerned with
placement of feet and far more concerned with the placement of bodies. In the
beginning they circle each other, spiraling closer and closer. Three first
year physics students suddenly grasp Kepler's Laws for the first time. Many of
their moves are copied from the night before, but many more are reminiscent of
their training. Ranma leaps high, over Akane and lands on the other side just
in time to catch her as she falls toward him. He uses the momentum to send them
both spinning across the floor in a whir. They snap apart, hands joined at arms
length. With a mischievous grin, Ranma pulls Akane in and throws her into the
air. Just as the music ends, Akane lands with both feet balanced on Ranma's
right hand, held high overhead. The crowd erupts into applause and cheering.]

Announcer: [shouting in the microphone to be heard] A brilliant exhibition by
Ranma and Akane Saotome!

Akane: [wobbling slightly] Will you...please let me...down before...I fall!

[Ranma, however, is trying to catch a glimpse of the DJ now that the spotlight
has moved away from them.]

Ranma: [blinks] Huh? Oh, sure. [pauses] How?

Akane: [getting mad] You got me up here--You figure it out!

Ranma: [shrugs] Okay.

[He pulls his arm out from under her suddenly and catches her in both arms on
the way down.]

Ranma: [grins] Better?

[Akane pushes him away and tugs at her dress, smoothing it out.]

Akane: [angrily] Baka! Why didn't you tell me, we could have skipped the
waltzing!

Ranma: [pointing toward the music booth] I didn't do it. Look over there.

[Akane looks in the direction he's point and sees Ukyou sitting on the edge of
a table, grinning and waving. Nabiki is smugly counting a stack of money.]

Akane: [sighs] I think we've just made Nabiki a lot of money. Again.

[Ranma grimaces.]

Teacher: [walking up] Saotome!

Ranma: [facing teacher] Hai, sensei!

Teacher: What _was_ that you just did on the floor? Was that what you call a
waltz?

Ranma: Uh... iie, sensei. My... partner and I decided to do something else at
the last minute. [hand behind head]

Teacher: Hrmm. [taps clipboard] Well, since you didn't check with me beforehand
I have to penalize you on your grade for this assignment.

Ranma: Hai, sensei!

Teacher: You receive a B for this assignment. [walking away] And next time,
just tell me in advance that your wife is going to be your partner.

[Ranma stands dumbfounded, watching his teacher walk away, while Akane smiles
at Ranma and puts her arm around him. Ukyou watches the scene from her table
with a sad smile on her face.]

Ukyou: [quietly] Ran-chan... you're welcome.

finis.

For the first time today
I saw in your eyes
The beauty that hides within +-----------------------------------------+
Shining bright through the skies | All episodes can be found via anonymous |
| ftp at Komodo.HACKS.Arizona.EDU |
For the first time tonight | in normal text and PostScript forms |
The love that drives you | Artist Jong Man Hwang's drawings of the |
And the gentleness that you hold |DnR characters can be found at the Komodo|
| FTP site in the /pub/sketches directory |
As long as the stars shine | For more information on DnR via WWW |
We'll be together | http://www.hacks.arizona.edu/dnr.html |

(Forever) (and ever)
Until... the end of time.