[Ranma 1/2] The Kiss [FanFic]

Jo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

I whipped up this story in one night in a storm of inspiration.
I hope you like it. It was inspired by a somewhat different TP
at Amush in which a ever so slightly crazed Nabiki dared Ranma
into kissing her. Enjoy!

Ranma 1/2: The Kiss
based on the series and characters created by Rumiko Takahashi.
by John Biles
Loosely inspired by a short TP on Amush.
This story is dedicated to Mindi Weaver, the first girl I ever kissed.

"BAKA!" Ranma watched the hand close in on his face as if it
was in slow motion. He staggered back under the impact,
grumbling under his breath as Akane spun on one heel and stormed
off. Rubbing his face, he sat down on a nearby table. What
was it this time? He had tried to tell her she looked nicer
than usual. And what did he get for this? A slap and a Baka.

"You know, if you tried being nice to her, she might
actually be nice to you, Ranma." Nabiki smiled and leaned
against the wall, one leg bent at the knee and folded back to
put her foot on the wall.

Ranma scowled. "I was being nice! I said she looked good
today!" She really had. Why did words never quite come out
the way he intended them? When he saw her in the blue
sundress with the yellow bicycles, he had felt he ought to tell
her how good she looked, but the reaction he got was not what
he had expected.

Putting her arms behind her head, Nabiki smirked. "Then you
said she didn't look half as much of a tomboy as she normally did."

"Well, she didn't! I was telling the truth!" Ranma tried
to be honest all the time, but all he usually got was being
hit. Nabiki, on the other hand, lied constantly and never got
hit. There is no justice, he thought.

"If you'd stopped before you got to that point, you'd have been
fine. You have to learn when to speak and when to shut up."
Ranma is so naive, Nabiki thought. Cute, but naive. Still, he
was honest and brave, if not very bright or experienced.
Akane's going to have to do the thinking for that couple.

"I can't help it if she normally looks like a tomboy! And acts
like one too!" Ranma crossed his arms in front of his chest and
pouted.

"You don't have to tell her that. Would you like it if Akane
made fun of you all the time?" Nabiki sighed. Ranma didn't
quite seem to understand the concept of Akane not liking being
called a tomboy.

Ranma nodded. "No! That's why I don't like the way she calls
me a pervert all the time! I can't help it if I turn into a
girl!" He shivered slightly. I never asked for this curse! I
can't have a normal life because of it!

"She only does that because you insult her all the time. If
you'd try being consistently nice to her for a while, she
wouldn't do it." As if that was possible. Ranma seemed to
be no more capable of being consistently nice to Akane than
water has the capability of running uphill. "She might even
be willing to kiss you if you were nicer to her every once in
a while."

"Like I'd ever want to kiss that kawaiikune tomboy." I've
never been able to kiss her without one of us being insane or
mind controlled or having tape over my mouth. He stared at
the ground as if he was trying to will it not to leave.
"Besides, what do you know about getting kisses anyway? I've
never seen you kiss anyone!"

Nabiki blinked. "I've...kissed plenty of men." Why did I say
that, she wondered. It's not like I have to prove my
attractiveness to Ranma.

"Name one." Ranma looked up at Nabiki. For once, he had the
upper hand with Nabiki, if only for a few seconds. "You don't
know anything more about love or kissing than I do. Sure,
you've had more dates, but you were just after their money and
presents."

"I was not! I'm not a heartless money-grubbing wench! I
have needs too!" As if any of them were being met. I haven't
had a real boyfriend in months. Okay, ever. There was that
Rusty fellow, but he got sick and went back to America before
anything serious could happen. Kunou was cute and rich, two
points in his favor, but he had less brains than a well trained
cat. I need someone with at least average intelligence. It'll
make him harder to control, but I don't want to have to do all
my future husband's thinking for him. "And I know more about
kissing than you probably ever will."

Ranma laughed faintly. "Yeah, right." He began rocking back
and forth on his heels, in that odd sitting position he'd
learned from that martial arts tea ceremony family.

"What, you don't believe me?" She was telling the truth for
once! She knew she'd done more kissing than Ranma, even with
his four fiancees. Most men would be abusing that to the
maximum advantage, but she knew Ranma didn't. Either he was
interested in other men, not women, or he was truly an honorable
man. Probably the second. Given his girl-form, he could have
had just about any man he wanted if that was what he was after.

"That's right. I think you just don't want to admit you've
never been kissed. It's nothing to be ashamed of." Ranma's
voice softened a bit. It wasn't surprising a girl her age
didn't want to admit she'd never been kissed. She wasn't old
enough to qualify for spinster status yet, but by 17, most girls
expected to have been kissed at least once. He'd certainly
never heard her mention having been kissed before.

This called for drastic action. Given a lack of handy
witnesses, the only way to show Ranma she knew more about
kissing than he thought was to show him in no uncertain
terms. Nabiki walked over to Ranma a little nervously. What
if Shampoo crashes through the wall in the middle of this? Why
am I doing this anyway? What do I care what Ranma thinks?

She looked down at his face. He looked less angry, but still
serious. "Don't worry Nabiki. I won't tell anyone. It's not
like I've had a real kiss yet. At least not one I want to
remember."

Nabiki took Ranma's hands and pulled him to his feet. He
blinked, gliding up smoothly. She paused for a moment, simply
watching him move fluidly. "So you still think I don't know
more about kissing than you?"

He blinked. "That's right. I don't. I think you're lying to
me to save your pride. Which kind of suprises me because I
never realized you had any. Or is this all part of some
money making scheme of yours?"

Nabiki flinched almost imperceptibly. This was the reason she
hadn't had a real boyfriend. Everyone seemed to think that she
was some kind of money-making monster who just used everyone
around her for her own benefit. They never realized how hard
she had to scramble to keep her family afloat. Her dad had
hardly any students, but somehow the bills had to be paid,
repairs made, and food put in the kitchen for Kasumi to put on
the table. No one ever seemed to think about where the money
came from. Clipping coupons like they were going out of style,
running betting pools, selling photos of Ranma and Akane...
it all went to keeping the family afloat, with only a little of
it for herself. If I left, this household would collapse.
Between the bad reputation and the time she had to put into
hustling and scams, she hardly had time to keep in shape and do
her homework, let alone try to have a relationship with one of
the few boys who didn't think she was evil.

She felt her eyes start to mist up, and let it happen. Maybe
some tears would make Ranma understand he was wrong. Ranma
visibly wilted as Nabiki started to cry. "I'm sorry, Nabiki...
I... don't cry, Nabiki..." He waved his arms about as if he was
trying to summon a spirit or something, the little dance done by
every male who sees a woman crying and knows it was his fault.

"Why don't you believe me then?"

"Because I've never even heard of you kissing anyone. Not to
mention you've lied to me before," Ranma said. Nabiki looked
at his face through her tear-clouded eyes. She had lied to him.
Many times. But most of those lies had been necessary, damn-it!
And he'd never really gotten hurt by any of them. Okay, maybe
a few times. She did it all for the good of her family! Why
did he deserve to be treated different from anyone else?

"Come on, Nabiki, cheer up. Being loveless isn't so bad.
Okay, maybe it is." His face drooped a bit. "At least you
don't have four fiancees like me. Just imagine what it would be
like if you were engaged to ...uh... say Mousse, Kunou, Ryouga,
and uh... me all at the same time? I bet you wouldn't like it
any better than I do." Nabiki smiled a little at the insane
thought. If she was engaged to those four, her life would
probably be even rougher than Ranma's. She smiled faintly. Too
much love could be as bad as too little.

Still, she'd rather have too much than too little. Her father
loved his children, but he wasn't good at expressing it, except
when disaster struck, and then he just fell apart. She
remembered her first kiss. She had been fifteen, and he was 16.
Kenjiro seemed like the most wonderful boy in the world. He
was handsome and kind. His family had just moved into town and
he hadn't heard any of the stories about her yet. Their first
date had been wonderful, and so had the second. She loved to
sing and to dance, but she hardly ever had time. They had
gone to a disco where they had a karaoke hour. He had talked
her into singing a duet with him. Her voice sounded wobbly and
nervous to her, but he had told her she sung like an angel.
She remembered almost crying when he said that, then she leaned
over and kissed him. He blinked and kissed her back. She
didn't want to ever leave his side again after that, but the
night was over far too soon, and she had to get home so daddy
wouldn't cry and flood the house again.

A week later, his family moved again, and he had to go with
them. She cried herself to sleep for a week, alone in the dark,
where no one else could see her weakness. None could be
allowed to see her weakness, not in the circles she had to
travel in. When you swim with the sharks, you have to make
them believe your teeth are just as sharp as theirs.

A finger brushed the tear from her face and she started, coming
back to reality. It was Ranma. "I'm sorry. I just... I don't
know how to talk to girls. I always end up hurting them or
getting hit, or both." He recoiled backwards, and stared at his
finger as if he wasn't sure why he'd done that, or perhaps
thought it had done that without orders from his mind. She
wiped the tears from her eyes as best she could.

"You've got that right at least." How could he afford to be so
openly compassionate like that? Caring about people, especially
people who've hurt you before just gets you hurt more. That
didn't stop Nabiki from loving her sisters and father, but that
was as far as it went, normally. Anyone else was fair prey,
even her sister's fiancee. Could it be he might actually care
about her, at least a little? He certainly wasn't sucking up to
her to try to get her to put in a good word for him with Akane
the way some guys did. For that matter, Ranma had never tried
to extort or trick anything out of her the entire time that he
had lived at their house. She'd seen Ranma try to trick
Ryouga, Mousse, Shampoo, Kodachi, and even his own father with
corny disguises and his girl body, but she'd never seen him try
to fool her, Akane, Kasumi or Ukyou. And it wasn't just
because she was a girl, either. Shampoo and Kodachi certainly
counted at girls, and Ranma had at least tried to fool or use
them dozens of times. Ukyou was his best friend, so that was
understandable. She was pretty sure he loved Akane, no matter
how much he might deny it. And Kasumi... Well, who could be
mean to her.

But why me? Why is he nice to me? After all I've done to him.
Not that I didn't have to do it, but how could he know that? Or
has he understood all along, and not said anything, just played
along to help me out? Nabiki looked into Ranma's eyes. How
smart is he, really? I've always thought he wasn't too bright,
but anyone can fake stupidity. Was this all part of some grand
scheme of his? Could it be he was playing her for the fool in
some scam that would end with he and his father making off with
all of the Tendo wealth, such as it was?

"Are you okay, Nabiki?" Ranma said. "You're just staring at
me and not saying anything." He looked worried.

No, it couldn't be a scam. Not with Ranma. He really was what
he seemed. An insensitive jerk, but also a caring person. He
put up with all she had done to him because he didn't hit
women, and also because she was Akane's sister, but most of all
because he was a decent, honorable man.

She leaned a little closer to Ranma. What would have happened
if I had taken him instead of foisting him off on Akane? Would
we fight like he does with Akane? Would I feel this alone?

Ranma hesitantly put his arms on Nabiki's shoulders. "Do you
need me to take you to Dr. Tofu? Do you feel sick? Maybe you
should lie down... is your throat sore? Say something,
Nabiki..."

Would I still use him half as much? Could I bring myself to do
that to my husband? Why do I do it to my sister's
husband-to-be? She felt the tears coming again, and let them
come. Shuddering faintly, she lurched forward and buried her
head in his chest. He flinched, then hesitantly began patting
her on the back.

"Now, now, don't cry, Nabiki." Ranma floundered. What am I
supposed to do when someone cries? Dad never taught me anything
about dealing with people. And now Kunou's going to walk in
and accuse me of being the enemy of women or something, or Akane
will beat me up for trying to help her sister. I hate my life.
"You'll... ah... you'll ruin your shirt." Maybe appealing to
her sense of money would help.

Nabiki laughed through her tears. Ranma really didn't know how
to handle this. Something useful to remember. Neither did she,
really. If he had started crying, she'd have been at a loss on
how to deal with it. Maybe they weren't quite so different as
they thought they were... She knew how to manipulate people to
get what she wanted. Making them happy was another problem
entirely. "Maybe if you'd believe me, I'd feel better."

"Look, I didn't mean to make you cry about it." Ranma looked
flustered, confused, and vulnerable, the antithesis of his usual
look of confidence and strength. Of course, she usually
projected strength and confidence herself, and neither of those
qualities was very evident right now. "Maybe if I had some
proof, I'd be able to believe you." He wanted proof, did he?

Nabiki smiled wickedly. "So you want proof, do you?" She ran
a finger in a slow circle at the base of his neck. He blinked,
then suddenly fully realized how close of proximity they were
really in.

Putting one hand behind his head, he stammered and finally
said, "I... uh... I mean, well, it isn't necessary. I... uh..."

"You wanted proof. O.K." I can't believe I'm doing this.
Well, one kiss can't hurt. Her head zoomed forward and met his,
lips colliding as her arms moved under his and around behind his
back. She slid one hand up his back to his head, pulling it
down slightly. Her lips parted somewhat and her tongue
darted out between his lips, sliding into the gap between his
upper and lower teeth. He instinctively opened his mouth a bit
wider as her tongue slid inside his mouth, his eyes widening.
She started slightly as he leaned into the kiss, his arms
sliding around her back and pulling her closer.

She had intended to freak him out, but this wasn't quite the
response she had expected. Actually, she wasn't quite sure what
she had expected. They held each other for longer than either
of them had intended to, lost in the strange sensations of the
embrace. When no one broke into the room to cause trouble, they
relaxed a bit. Finally, reluctantly, breaking off the embrace
and kiss. They stared at each other, completely at a loss for
words.

Ranma broke the silence finally. "I... uh... You were right."
He blushed. It wasn't much of an apology, but I've never been
good at apologies, Ranma thought. I wish... I wish Akane and
I... I wish... Who am I fooling? It might be years before I get
another kiss like that. At least one that doesn't get me hit.
Oh god, if they all find out about this, I'm going to be toast.

Nabiki shivered slightly. "Thank you, Ranma." Her will
reached out through her body, forcing it to do her bidding. She
wanted another kiss, but she wouldn't take it. It was too
dangerous, both for herself and Ranma. This one kiss alone
might have disastrous consequences when and if Akane or the
others found out. They'd never understand. She couldn't let it
happen again. Not to Ranma. He didn't deserve that. Once
again, she'd used him for her own benefit. I needed that kiss
more than he did. Well, this time, she'd protect him. No one
knows but us, and I'll never tell. "I'll make sure no one finds
out about this."

"How much is it going to cost me?" Ranma dug for his wallet
and Nabiki flinched again. She hadn't even said anything about
money, not even a half-concealed request for it. I've poisoned
him against me, and yet, he'd been able to kiss me like that.
He must be as starved for affection as I am. And no one is more
bitter than someone betrayed by... someone they care about. Did
he really care about me? He must, at least a little.

"Nothing. I ca... You're practically family, and family [has]
to take care of each other, don't you agree?" He was
practically family. One way or another, he'd end up married to a
Tendo if his father and her's had to bind him hand and foot.
"I know I've sometimes ...not entirely lived up to that."

She paused, then went on before he could actually respond to
that. "Maybe we should make this the occasion to turn over a
new leaf. To start fresh as if we didn't have bad blood between
us. I... want to be able to be your friend, Ranma." A willing
ally would be better than a reluctant pawn, anyway. Ranma would
do the right thing once he understood the family's financial
situation. He could be trusted to do the right thing, if not
the smart thing.

Ranma looked at her cautiously, then shook her hand. "Done. I
never wanted to be anyone's enemy here. I just seem to cause
trouble for myself just by being alive." Was this all just
another trick? I have to take the chance. I can't go on
fighting with everyone I know here. I need someone I can trust.
I'll give Nabiki a chance. At least she doesn't want to marry
me. "Hi, I'm Saotome Ranma. Nice to meet you."

Nabiki blinked, then remembered her own words. An impish smile
spread across her face. "I'm Tendo Nabiki. Nice to meet you.
Want to get married?"

Ranma's eyes got big and he fainted. Nabiki smiled and sat
down by him, waiting for him to recover. The first thing to do
was to teach him not to panic so easily...

The End?

--
John Walter Biles http://triol.dorm.umd.edu/~gauntman/index.html
MA-History http://falcon.cc.ukans.edu/~ranma/wotstuff.html