TP-What to Prepare For[7 of 18]

Twister

Feb 23, 1995, 8:34:58 PM2/23/95

Chapter Seven
-------------

Soon it was time for Prof. Miyabi's class again and Twister sat down
by Yuriko. They talked a bit about how to practice magic at home before
a stranger to the class came in.
Prof. Miyabi stood up and introduced the stranger. "Class, this is
the second year student who will be demonstrating a spell for us today. Her
name is Natsumi."
Natsumi was a beautiful girl with an attempted air of mystery
about her. Twister saw that she wore quite a bit of make-up to try to
enhance the Mystery Effect. Her clothes were shaded darkly and her skirt
seemed made of a billowy satin-like material. She also had a superior air
about her in addition to the one of mystery. Her long black hair was in the
same style Miyabi used. This was most likely intentional.
*So. This is the batch of new students.* Natsumi thought contemptuously.
*I doubt any of them compare to _my_ level when I was in first year.* She
didn't even bother to look at the class.
Prof. Miyabi went on, "She will demonstrate an illusion spell
and then we will compare it to one of Itazuka's to see the difference." She
wasn't expecting Itazuka's spell to be very good so she wasn't worried.
Natsumi watched as a red-headed girl stood up and came down to stand
by the desk. *Hm. This one does look pretty cute, but she cannot compete
with _me_. I come from a _long_ line of magic-users and this apparent
newcomer will be no match.* She smiled nastily, *It should be amusing
to see the soon-to-be obvious differences in the quality of our illusions.*
Feeling the malice in Natsumi's smile, Twister and the rest of
the class looked a little nervous.
"Being a popular choice among people who use magic we shall try...
dragons." Twister perked up a little at this though Miyabi didn't know why.
"I realize this is a little difficult to try, but it certainly fits the
subject. Natsumi, you may begin." She turned to the class. "Natsumi's way of
magic is in her gestures. This is a hard form of magic, but she has mastered
the art of gesturing."
Making sinuous motions, Natsumi confidently started her illusion
spell. A mist started forming in front of her and started shaping itself into
a draconic form. Four legs appeared, then the body, and finally the head.
Color started appearing on the image as it started losing its transparency.
When Natsumi was done, a five foot high frozen image of a dragon was standing
quietly in front of the class. It was a good likeness in Twister's eyes
and the class applauded the result.
Turning to Twister, Natsumi smiled wickedly, "Now... Let's see _your_
little attempt at illusion."
Twister fumed a bit at that remark, but held her temper, "I _do_ have
an illusionary dragon spell, but I don't think I want to scare the class
with it." The class whispered softly behind her as they wondered what Twister
was doing.
Raising an eyebrow before Prof. Miyabi could say anything, Natsumi
laughed at Twister, "You think you can do better than _me_? I doubt _that_
very much." She smiled mockingly.
Hearing her patience TWANG in an almost audible snap, Twister chuckled
a bit. "Alright, frosting-face. Don't say I didn't warn you." As Natsumi
sputtered, Twister walked towards the chalkboard and got ready.
She whispered the rhyme she had devised to protect the money from
the auction while standing guard over it and used the same vivid picture
for the spell. It had taken a while to get it right when making it, but once
she had...
Another mist formed from the ground, but this one did not create
a dragon. Instead it climbed up the chalkboard and covered a fair portion
of the wall. The class was wondering what Twister was doing as Prof.
Miyabi looked on in curiosity and Natsumi in angry contempt. Mist parted
in a circle at the middle of the cloudy covering and the gap slowly grew. It
revealed a pitch black darkness that the eye could not penetrate. Being
closer to the illusion, Prof. Miyabi and Natsumi were startled when
they started smelling sulfur. Miyabi was about to ask Twister something
when two glowing eyes opened in the darkness. These eyes were alive and
held a fiercesome light which illuminated them from within. They looked
hungry and slowly moved back and forth in the darkness as if looking at the
tasty morsels seated beyond the darkness.
Then they moved forward.
As they approached the light of the class room, what the eyes were
attached to revealed itself. A dragon's head came out of the darkness and the
class gasped in their stunned silence. This was not the still image of a dragon
like Natsumi had made, nor was it as small. It was twelve feet above the
ground and barely fit into the classroom. The face was moving and
animated as it focused on one person.
Natsumi.
Said person was slowly stepping back with a look of horror on her face
as the rest of the dragon squeezed out of the hole in the mist. It was
incredibly detailed and something more than just normal life seemed to
radiate from the drake. A fierce energy was present in every movement.
Natsumi was now backed up to the first desks and couldn't go back
any further. Other students had rapidly left their desks and gone to the
back of the room with haste. Most people saw the calm Prof. Miyabi and a
grinning Twister and were calmed a bit. But the dragon inspired a terror
all on its own. The dragon's head stopped within a meter of Natsumi and it
filled her frightened eyes as it contemplated the little creature before it.
Apparently deciding something, the dragon inhaled suddenly with a sound
like a bellows. Natsumi had a sudden image of being toasted to a crisp.
She was about to scream when the dragon stopped inhaling and spoke in a
deep, ancient-sounding voice.
"Gotcha!"
With that said, the dragon turned into mist and was sucked back into
the darkness of the hole from which it came. The misty curtain closed the
opening and dissipated.
Leaning on a wall, Twister calmly said, "Was _that_ good enough?"
She smiled wickedly then.
The class laughed as they realized the joke Twister had played on
Natsumi and returned their seats, albeit with a few nervous looks at the
chalkboard.
Natsumi was still shaking from the scare the illusionary dragon had
given her, but she had recovered enough to give a venom-filled glare towards
Twister.
Twister mentally slapped herself. *Dang. I shouldn't have done that.
Now I have an enemy for life.* She sighed. *Why do I _do_ these things?
Simple answer: she was begging for it.*
"Ah..." Prof. Miyabi tried to recover her disrupted class. "Now
you have seen the difference between a good illusion and," she glanced at
an innocently looking Twister, "an extremely well done illusion. Not quite
the way I had planned it, but you have seen the differences yourself and one
day, hopefully, you too may be able to do that." She waved at the
chalkboard. The class looked _much_ more excited now.
*Well, that didn't go as I wanted it, but it seems to have got their
interest all right.* Miyabi smiled slightly. *Natsumi needed to be taken down
a bit anyway. I just hope Twister can handle her.* She looked at the blackboard.
*Though from what I just saw, I don't think that will be a problem. I still
want to know more about Twister though. There is more to that one than meets
the eye.*

Natsumi angrily stormed out of the room and almost ran into a robed
person who had been looking through the classroom window. She immediately
recognized the individual and flushed.
"Takaya! I didn't know you would be here!"
Pulling off his hood, Takaya smiled at the girl, "Ah, Natsumi. I was
just looking in and seeing how the first year class was coming along." He
glanced at the door. "I see that one in particular is progressing
remarkably well."
Natsumi turned red with embarrassment as she realized that
Takaya had likely seen the whole thing with the dragons.
He continued thoughtfully, "Even _I_ would have a hard time making such
a detailed illusion. Complete with illusionary smells and sounds too. Very
impressive for a first year. Talented, I should say." Takaya stared at the
door as he contemplated something.
Realization dawned on Natsumi, *He's interested in her!
In that...that...smug little _nobody_!* Her vision turned red with anger.
*Not only does she publicly humiliate me, she does it in front of Takaya!
I can _not_ let her go unpunished for this!* Seeing that he was still
staring at the door, Natsumi angrily stamped away from the robed, young
man. *We shall just _see_ who is the better magic-user and _that_ will
show Takaya who to watch!*

When class ended, Twister and Yuriko walked out together, talking about
the class.
"That dragon you did was so _real_! How did you do it?"
Twister shrugged, "I've done it before and I had a very good model of
a dragon to look at. It took a little time, but you don't forget
something like _that_ once you get it right," she chuckled.
"Well, that other girl certainly deserved the scare you gave her,"
Yuriko firmly said. "Looking down on all of us like that wasn't very nice."
"True. I just hope she doesn't try to get revenge." Twister paused.
"Strike that. I _know_ she'll try." Seeing Yuriko's concerned look, she smiled.
"Don't worry. I'm ready if she tries anything."
*I hope.*
"Ah! The talented red-haired girl. Greetings." The two girls started
and turned to face a person dressed in a monk-like robe. "Impressive display.
I applaud your skill." Removing his hood, he smiled at them, "I am Takaya.
I'm in the third-year class."
"Um...hi." This person didn't exactly inspire trust in Twister. "The
name is Itazuka and this is Yuriko." Yuriko smiled nervously.
"Congratulations on such a well done spell. Not many would be able to
accomplish such a display this soon."
Twister was getting increasingly nervous at this smiling young
magic-user, "Thanks, I've had practice."
Suddenly, Yuriko shouted, "Oh, no! I forgot a book in the classroom!
I'll be right back, Itazuka!" With that, she ran back to the classroom.
"Good. Now we can talk alone." Takaya smiled a little more
broadly.
The truth dawned on Twister, *Oh, no. I think this guy wants to date
me or something similar.* She stared back a little, "Talk about what?"
"I was wondering if you had a boyfriend. If not, would you like to go
out with me?"
*Bingo.* Twister thought sourly before replying, "No, I don't have a
boyfriend," *However, a girlfriend, yes...* "and no, I don't think I want to
go out with you. No matter what."
Unflustered, Takaya started a response, but Yuriko came back
quickly, ran up to Twister, and started dragging the startled girl away
while apologizing, "Nicetomeetyou! Gottarun! Bye! ComeonItazuka!" Unable to
muster much of a resistance, Twister was soon helplessly dragged out of
Takaya's sight.
He smiled at the departing girls, *Well then, if she does not want to
join me willingly then I shall have to find a way which will allow me to use
her power _unwillingly_. So be it. I do not care to waste time on the
apparently non-existent chance that she _may_ change her mind.*
Takaya softly chuckled as he walked away.

Twister had recovered and was now trying to slow Yuriko down. "Whoa!
Halt! Use the brakes already! What's going on?"
After stopping, and panting with the effort of dragging Twister,
Yuriko told her, "I...overheard...Prof. Miyabi talking...to herself. She
was muttering something about...summoning a demon to find out something
about a person called 'Twister'." She looked worried. "That sounds like
my roommate's boyfriend. What should we do?"
Looking grim, Twister calmed her down, "Don't worry, Yuriko. I'll
take care of it. You'd better go to class." Seeing Yuriko's unconvinced face,
Twister smiled. "Don't worry about it! Hurry, or you _will_ be late!"
"Ok, Itazuka. Be careful!" She ran off.
*Now why does Prof. Miyabi want to talk to a demon about me? Time for
hot water and a little follow-the-leader to find out. Better activate that
anti-scrying diamond I made earlier too. Made it just in case someone
got curious about me. Good thing I did. I don't think that Natsumi will be
idle for long.*
Twister headed towards a hiding place she had found nearby.

Later that day, Miyabi was kneeling in a protective circle in a darkened
portion of her home and quietly muttering a spell to summon a demon for her
needs. She did this rarely and was being _very_ careful to get the correct
spell completed.
Finally, she was done and soon the expected blood-red flames flared
in the Place of Arrival. The demon had come.
It was ugly to look at with it's red hide and multi-fanged jaws but
the sorceress ignored these facts and stated her question before the demon
could respond.
"By the power of your true name, I command you to tell me what I wish
to know." She intoned.
The demon looked like it wanted to tear her apart, but complied,
"Yes, Mistress. What do you wish to know?"
"Tell me about one known as 'Twister'." Miyabi asked the demon.
She did not expect it's reaction.
"TWISTER?! I cannot answer your question, Mistress," the demon
actually appeared nervous, "but if you wish...another will take my place
to answer that which I cannot. It is his punishment."
Miyabi was startled, this had never happened before! However, she
_did_ want to know about Twister. "Very well. Do so."
The demon bowed and the flames reappeared. This time they burned for
a long time before another form appeared. She stared at the individual.
*This is a demon?* She wondered.
The being before her bowed with a sigh. "Greetings, Lady. I am here
to answer any questions you have about Twister. I am the arch-demon Malkon."
As Miyabi paled at the thought of an arch-demon in her presence, a
shout of anger startled her and appeared to cause the arch-demon considerable
distress.
"MALKON! YOU DAMNED ARCH-DEMON!" Twister came out of the shadows with
his eyes glowing blue. An azure glow formed between his hands and a diamond
sword came into being from within the light. Gripping the crystalline blade,
Twister growled out, "Shall we continue where we left off?"
Trapped in the containing wards, Malkon couldn't escape. "Ah, Twister.
So nice to see you again. No hard feelings, I hope?" He smiled weakly.
Twister narrowed his eyes and advanced upon the arch-demon.
Recovering from the shock of the arch-demon appearing and Twister's
display of power, Miyabi shouted, "HOLD IT! WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?" She looked
at the now calming down Twister. "What are _you_ doing here?"
Rage vanished to form embarrassment, "I heard you were going to ask
a demon about me and I was curious as to what it would say. I did _not_
expect," he glared at Malkon, "_this_ one to come."
"_What_ is going on here?" Miyabi demanded again, crossly.
Seeing that Twister was not going to take him apart, Malkon spoke up,
"_That_ is why _I_ am here, I believe; to answer your questions
with what I know." He chuckled at Twister's glare. "Oh, come now, Twister,
you are a civilized being. Surely you have forgiven what I did by now."
"Not by a _long_ shot," Twister muttered.
"All right! That's enough! _You_," Miyabi pointed at Malkon. "Tell me
just _what_ exactly is going on here," she commanded in a firm voice.
Malkon sighed and shrugged at Twister, smiling, "Well, since I
have no choice..."
Twister threw up his hands in disgust and sat down while Malkon recalled
everything that he had done to Twister. Twister didn't want the professor
mad at him so he let Malkon recount the tale. That didn't mean he
had to enjoy it though.
Miyabi got her information all right, and a lot of it surprised her.
She was amazed that Twister had survived the Event and a little shocked at
the level of psionic power he had used on Malkon. The part about the cursed
springs and the duo nature of Twister's power cleared up quite a few questions
she had.
"So _that's_ why you came as a girl." Miyabi commented.
Twister blushed a bit.
The capture of Twister and the magical items he had given his friends
intrigued her. What really shocked her to the core, however, was Twister's
destruction of the arch-demon's Overseer Master.
"You did _what_!?! How did you do that?!"
"Very painfully." Twister shrugged, "I didn't know I could do
what I did till I tried myself. Besides, I had a tremendous headache and
an aching body for a week! I'm _not_ doing that again unless I _really_
have to, if ever."
"Small comfort," Malkon sighed. "The other Overseers partly blamed me
for my Master's death. That is why I find myself here."
"Very well. You have answered my questions. I will send you back now."
Miyabi prepared herself.
"Oh, one more thing, Twister..." Malkon smiled broadly. "You _did_
look _very_ nice in that gown." He chuckled at Twister's look of outrage
as he disappeared.
"Gah! I'll _get_ him for that someday!" Twister fumed at the now-empty
place where Malkon had been.
Miyabi stood up and stretched to relieve the cramps in her legs. "Well.
That certainly answered my questions about you, Twister." She smiled.
"Very interesting indeed. I have one or two things that you can help me with,
once you get better at magic. I've left them for _far_ too long because I
was unable to do them myself." She looked knowingly at Twister as she continued.
"But now that I have an excellent _protege_, I think that they should be
possible to accomplish now..."
"Protege?" Twister sighed wearily.
*Oh, boy...*

Walking over to Nabiki's place, Twister mulled over recent events.
*Oh, well. At least she isn't power hungry like Malkon. Hmp. I wonder
what those 'one or two projects' were that she mentioned.* He sighed. *I
have a feeling I might not like it when she tells me.*
When he reached Nabiki's apartment building, he punched her room
code on the intercom and waited.
The speaker buzzed with Nabiki's voice. "Yes? Who is it?"
"Avon calling! Did you want the gold or the money colored lipstick?"
He heard Nabiki's chuckle and a female giggle in the background. "Come
on up, Twister." The door buzzed and he entered the building.
Knocking on the door resulted in Nabiki quickly opening it and kissing
him, which surprised him a little.
After recovering from the kiss, he smiled. "What was _that_ for? Not
that I mind..."
"I haven't seen much of you since I've been busy getting used to the
routine around here." Nabiki arched an eyebrow as she smiled. "I missed you
a little."
"A little? I'm crushed. My heart hath been broken by my fair lady's
sad words of despair," he sighed dramatically.
A person came near the door and giggled, "You must be Twister. Nabiki's
told me a little about you." Yuriko said.
"I deny everything she said!" He paused. "Even if it likely _is_ true."
Twister chuckled. "And who may you be?" He snorted mentally, *As if I
didn't know.*
"I'm Yuriko." she said smiling.
"Ah! The roommate who is going into Engineering. Good luck to you."
"Thanks! I'm also thinking of something else at the moment though.
It looks pretty exciting." She enthused as she went on, "I have a new friend
in that class who promised to help me even. Have you met her? Her name is
Itazuka." Nabiki stiffened at that last statement.
"Ah...yes. I know her. I haven't seen her for a while though." Twister
tried not to look nervous.
"Oh, good!" Yuriko clapped her hands together happily.
Nabiki started to pull Twister outside, "You haven't taken me
out yet, Twister. Shall we do so _now_?" She stressed the last word.
"Huh? Oh! Sure! Nice meeting you, Yuriko!" He called out as Nabiki
led him outside.
"Bye!" Yuriko called out happily.
When they were walking outside, Nabiki stopped and faced Twister, "All
right. _What's_ going on here?" She didn't look too pleased.
Twister wasn't feeling very hot either, "Um..." He sighed and started
explanations, "Since I was the only one in the class who had cast a spell
before Yuriko asked me if I could help her. She said something that told
me _you_ were her roommate so I said yes." He chuckled, "Luckily we found
out that _she_ can do rhyme magic as well. Helping her will be a _lot_
easier. Besides," Twister continued as Nabiki looked mollified, "She
helped _me_ today by overhearing the professor muttering about asking
demons for information about me and I went to see what went on."
Concerned now, Nabiki queried, "What happened?"
"Prof. Miyabi eventually got my _dear_ friend Malkon," He growled.
"Apparently the other Overseers gave him the punishment of having to personally
answer anything concerning _me_. Prof. Miyabi barely stopped me from taking him
apart then and there."
"So she knows about you now?"
"Yup, and now she wants me to be her protege apparently." Gloomily,
he muttered, "Joy and rapture."
"Well, she was _bound_ to find out sooner or later." Nabiki sighed,
"Being a teacher of _magic_, she was going to anyway. It's not like she
wants to kill you or anything." She chuckled.
"Um. True. Someone _else_ will be trying that."
Nabiki stared at Twister, who wasn't looking at her, "What _else_
happened today?"
Twister related how he had scared Natsumi and also the brief meeting
with Takaya.
She shook her head, "You're getting as bad as Ranma." She chuckled,
"At least you're not having to worry about fiancees." She arched an eyebrow
at him, "You'd _better_ not anyway."
Trying to forget the day's events, Twister went off topic, "Did you
want to visit your family this weekend? I wouldn't mind seeing familiar faces
and getting another lesson with Ranma."
"Sure thing!" Nabiki smiled, "Cuts down on traveling costs and I
might as well do so now before my workload increases."
Grinning, Twister added, "And _this_ time I send a note ahead of
our arrival..."
They both laughed together then.

The figure hidden in the shadows of the night watched the pair walking
back towards the apartment building. A voice whispered softly to itself in the
silence.
"Yessss. Sshe will make a fine addition to the other Chossen oness."
A slightly hissing chuckle emerged from the hooded cloak the figure
wore before the being vanished.

Darren Steffler a.k.a "Twister"- mail at <umst...@cc.umanitoba.ca>