[Fanfic] Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 5

Ranma Saotome

May 6, 1994, 12:11:28 AM5/6/94

--- ---
To subscribe to the mailing list, send mail to: r...@arizvm1.ccit.arizona.edu
with the words "SUBSCRIBE RND {Your name} - {Your Institution}" as the body
of the message.

Back episodes are available via anonymous ftp at paladine.hacks.arizona.edu
in the /pub directory under 'daigakusei.ranma.#' where # is the episode number.
Drawings by Jong Man Hwang of the DnR characters are in the /pub/sketches
directory.

[Note: Previous chapters are also at the archive, 130.215.24.1 /anime
as ranma.daigakusei.#.gz -MegaZone]

--- ---

Their relationship has been a volatile one.
She, a boy-hating tomboy.
He, a martial artist cursed to be an aquatranssexual.
Engaged against their will, they learned to tolerate each other.
Now, their relationship is moving on to the next level.
They must learn not only to cope with their new relationship, but with college.
Their names are Ranma and Akane Saotome.
This is their story.

Daigakusei no Ranma

Episode 5: "A Little Bit Of Insight"

Written by David Tai and Paul Gallegos
Original Artwork by Jong Man Hwang

Based on characters created by Rumiko Takahashi

[Early morning. Inside the apartment the shades are drawn tightly so as not to
let the sunlight in. An alarm goes off - loudly - across the room, and the two
figures in the room suddenly turn over quickly. One throws a pillow at the
alarm and knocks it off the stand, effectively shutting it off. The other gets
up out of bed and walks over to the window to open the shades.]

Ukyou: [yawns] Another day. Sometimes I wish we didn't live so far away from
campus, Makiko.

Makiko: [getting up from her bed] What time is it again?

Ukyou: [picking up alarm from floor] 6:00 am.

Makiko: Why do we keep getting up so early?? I'd like to sleep in some days,
you know.

Ukyou: If we _don't_ get up early, we'll never get to classes on time. Besides,
getting up early is good for you.

Makiko: Whatever. [sighs and flops back into bed] You take your bath first.
I'll daydream a little more.

Ukyou: [smiles] Sure. But if you're asleep when I get out, don't blame me if
you're suddenly doused with ice water.

[Ukyou enters the bathroom, and soon the sound of running water can be heard.
Meanwhile, Makiko gets out of bed and walks over to her computer. She switches
it on and sits down with a yawn. Soon the screen comes up, and she dials in to
the Mizunoikan computer system.]

Makiko: [to herself] I wonder if I got any mail overnight. Hito-chan owes me
a letter. [reads screen] Ah, no. [sighs and types a few keys] Oh well.
Maybe later today then.

[She shuts off the computer just as Ukyou exits the bathroom. Makiko grabs a
towel and enters to take her own bath.]

Ukyou: [thinking] Was she on that again? She was up pretty late last night on
that computer. Hmmm.

[Ukyou gets half-dressed, then rummages through Makiko's closet for a blouse,
before finishing up. She walks into the kitchen, and the smell of eggs being
cooked is soon wafting through the apartment.]

Makiko: [exiting bathroom toweling hair] Ukyou, that smells great!

Ukyou: [from kitchen] Arigato! It's almost ready!

[Makiko looks through her closet for something to wear and selects a nice
flowery sundress.]

Makiko: [enters kitchen and sniffs] Mmmm. I'm hungry!!

Ukyou: [gives Makiko a plateful of eggs and bacon] Here you go.

Makiko: [sits down at table] Is that my blouse? It looks great on you!

Ukyou: [smiles] Thanks. I hope you don't mind.

Makiko: [in between mouthfuls] Not at all! You look like you're ready to go
catch a man today. [smiles]

Ukyou: [blushes bright red] ...

Makiko: [giggles] Gotcha!

Ukyou: [looks at clock on wall] Oh dear! [cleans up and sticks plate in sink]
C'mon, we're going to be late if we don't hurry!

Makiko: What? [looks at clock] Now I know why we keep getting up early! [sighs
and tosses her plate in the sink] Let me grab my backpack from the
bedroom.

Ukyou: Ok! Meet you downstairs!

[Ukyou leaves, and Makiko soon follows. The two girls unlock their bikes and
pedal off towards campus in a hurry.]

* * *

[A digital alarm clock flashes "6:59" for a bit, then changes to "7:00" and
starts beeping. A hand reaches over and taps the snooze bar lightly. A little
while later, the clock shows "7:09" and the beeping begins again. This time
the hand reaches out and shuts off the alarm entirely. In another room, Nabiki
is getting out of the shower and is drying off.]

Nabiki: [to herself] 100 yen says that Junko is still asleep by the time I
finish getting dressed.

[Nabiki, wrapped in a towel, goes into the kitchen and fixes herself a quick
breakfast milkshake and puts it in the blender. She then turns it on and lets
it mix while heading back to her bedroom to change.]

Junko: [getting out of bed] What is that noise??

[Junko opens the door to her room and squints in the direction of the noise.
She then goes into the kitchen and, finding the offending blender, shuts it
off. She then goes back into her room and closes the door. Nabiki then emerges
from her room and heads to the kitchen. Finding the blender off, she looks at
it quizzically for a brief moment, before turning it back on to finish its
work. She then gathers her books and knocks on Junko's door.]

Nabiki: Hey in there, are you ready to go to classes? I'll give you a ride to
campus.

Junko: [from inside her room] No, that's ok, Nabiki. I'm going to skip this
morning's lecture and go later.

Nabiki: Ok. Have a good day.

[Nabiki goes back into the kitchen and pours the finished shake into a glass.
She then cleans up the kitchen area while drinking it and rinses out the glass
when finished. She then grabs her backpack and leaves, getting on her scooter
and riding to campus.]

* * *

[Sunlight streams in through the shades, giving the room a pleasant glow.
Downstairs, the automatic coffee-maker's clock shows "7:00", and the machine
turns itself on. Soon the smell of freshly brewed coffee is flowing upstairs.
At the same time, the clock-radio in Kasumi's room goes off and the morning's
news broadcast wakes Kasumi up.]

Kasumi: [stretching] Mmmm. Coffee's made already?? Oh, that's right, Yuriko's
coffee-maker does that for her. I wonder if she's awake yet?

[As if on cue, Yuriko bounces into Kasumi's room.]

Yuriko: [smiling brightly] Ohayo!! Coffee's ready! Is it my turn to cook
breakfast or yours?

Kasumi: [smiles] Ohayo! I think it's mine... let me freshen up and I'll be
down shortly.

Yuriko: Ok. [turns to go, then hesitates] By the way, did you finish your
studying for your human anatomy test today?

Kasumi: [nods] Hai. Your notes were most helpful!

Yuriko: [smiles] Great!! You should do great then today!! [bounces out of
room]

[Kasumi giggles at Yuriko's energy, then gets out of bed and grabs a blouse and
skirt from her closet. She then heads for the bathroom, and about 15 minutes
later emerges dressed and ready to go.]

Yuriko: [from her room] Are you finished in there?

Kasumi: Hai... breakfast should be ready by the time you're done.

Yuriko: Great!!

[Kasumi goes downstairs into the kitchen and proceeds to cook up a quick
breakfast. Soon afterwards, Yuriko comes downstairs, brushing her hair and
tying it into a ponytail. Kasumi gives her a plate of food, and the two eat
quickly.]

Yuriko: [finishing and rinsing her plate] That was great, as usual, Kasumi!

Kasumi: Arigato. [smiles] But we'd best get going. I've that anatomy test
first thing today! [frowns]

Yuriko: [nods] I'm already ready to go. [grabs bookbag]

Kasumi: Ok. Remind me it's my turn to do the dishes when I get back.

Yuriko: [making a face] That won't be a problem. [starts to head out the door
then comes back] Almost forgot to bring last night's experiment data.

Kasumi: [puzzled] What experiment was this?

Yuriko: [going upstairs] Oh, it's an ongoing thing. I don't expect to have any
real results until next month.

Kasumi: Oh, I see. [smiles]

[Kasumi waits patiently for Yuriko to come back downstairs, which she does
quickly, carrying a thick notebook with papers falling out. Yuriko stuffs this
in her bookbag, and the two head outside to get their bicycles and ride to
class.]

* * *

[Morning at Maison Sabaku. The alarm clock is reading "6:30" and humming semi-
loudly. Akane reaches over and sleepily shuts it off and then falls back
against the futon for a moment before turning over and cuddling up with Ranma.
She puts her arm around him, drawing him closer as she shivers in the morning
air... then both Ranma's and Akane's eyes snap open and look at each other.]

Akane: KYAAAAAAH!!! [punts Ranma out the window] Hentai! What were you thinking
sleeping like tha... [suddenly remembers] Oh...

* * *

[Flashback to the previous night. Akane drags Ranma in the door and sets him on
the futon while she washes up. Ranma is quite intoxicated... and also quite
unconscious.]

Akane: Baka! He just HAD to fight, and he just HAD to take a drink of that...
that _stuff_, whatever it was. [sighs] I don't think I'll ever get the
alcohol smell out of this blouse.

[Akane returns to the living room. Ranma is face-down on the futon, snoring
away. She tries, in vain, to waken him so she can set up the futon to sleep on,
but Ranma is completely out of it. Finally, she gives up and drops him on the
floor while she finishes moving the futon into its bed-position.]

Akane: [watching Ranma's peaceful expression] I hope you have a hangover
tomorrow morning.

[Akane finally just drags Ranma into bed and tucks him in, turns off the
lights, and then turns on her reading lamp for a while. Soon, however, it's
obvious she's having trouble concentrating, so she turns off the reading lamp,
and finally drifts off to sleep.]

* * *

[Ranma finally comes to rest, face-first, in the tree in the backyard of
Maison Sabaku.]

Ranma: [mumbled] Kawakune...

[He slowly slides down the trunk of the tree as a camera flash goes off
several times in the window of Room 3, while Akane stares out the window
watching Ranma.]

* * *

[Mizunoikan University. Makiko has just finished her third class of the day
and is gathering all her notebooks while walking out of the classroom when
she bumps into another student, knocking both of their belongings to the
ground in a giant slew of papers. Several students walking nearby give a
smattering of applause.]

Makiko: [looking up with a grimace] Just great. [turns to the student she
bumped into] I'm terribly sorry... here, let me help.

[Makiko begins picking up all the papers and notebooks around her, and then
reads the name off of one of the papers.]

Makiko: [to herself] "Shimada Junko". Where have I heard that name before?
[sighs and turns to the student] I'm really sorry for all of this.

Junko: Oh, it's not a big deal, really. I just have to watch where I'm going
more often.

Makiko: [smiles] I noticed that you have Mr. Ota for Freshman Composition.
Are you in my class?

Junko: I don't know. I don't know that many people in the class. I usually sit
in the back.

Makiko: Hmmm. I think you are in my class. Don't you sit next to that guy that
always wears a leather jacket with the letters "KOC" on the back?

Junko: Yeah, I do. [smiles slightly]

Makiko: [breaks out into a wide grin] Isn't Mr. Ota totally weird? I mean, that
last assignment, what was it? Oh yeah, writing about what you remember
about being ten years old? I don't remember a lot from when I was ten.
[puts her backpack over a shoulder and heads toward the Student Union]

Junko: [grabs her pack and puts her walkman away] Yeah, that was really
strange. I don't see what that had to do with anything, either.

Makiko: Hey, do you want to join me and some friends for lunch? My roommate and
her friend are meeting me at 1:00 in the Union.

Junko: Um... [pauses] Sure. I don't have any more classes for the rest of the
day anyway.

Makiko: Me neither. Though I do have to check my mail sometime before 3:00.
[smiles]

Junko: Mail?

Makiko: [grins] Yeah, electronic mail. Let me explain....

* * *

[Ukyou finishes her last class for the day and walks over to an area with
several tall, shady trees. She sits under one and puts on her walkman, then
opens her literature book as the music plays. Soon, however, she is no longer
paying attention to the words on the pages, but rather, she stares blankly at
the grass in front of her. She closes her eyes slowly and leans back against
the tree as the music softly plays in her headphones...]

{dream} {song}

Clouds are floating in the sky, and When we were young
Ukyou is sitting on a particularly We played in the sea
fluffy one, the breeze in her hair. On the beach, in the breeze
The sky is the bluest of blues, and Together, you and me
her gaze shifts from the sky above
to the green grass below her, its When we were young
blades seemingly untouched by man. We laughed at life
Alone, Ranma sits facing away from Through the clouds, in the trees
Ukyou while she memorizes his every Together, you and me
detail. Ranma then turns and smiles
at Ukyou, his smile radiating warmth How could I know
in every fiber of her being. He puts I'd have to let go?
a hand on her shoulder, drawing her
closer to him. They hold each other There was no way to know
for what seems to be an eternity. If it was really love
Or just a childhood fantasy
Then Ukyou opens her eyes, and the There was no way to know
two are in a familiar dressing room, We never let it show
Ranma is facing a mirror attempting There was no way to know
to straighten the tie on his tuxedo, If it was love
without much success, while Ukyou
stands behind him in a dress, simply When you walked away
watching him. Finally, she reaches My world fell apart
out and fixes Ranma's tie for him, Crashing down, all around
tying a perfect knot for his bow tie. Breaking my heart
Ukyou looks up into Ranma's eyes and
the two gaze at each other for a long And no matter how I tried
moment. Then a shadow appears and To start again brand new
informs Ranma that it is time to go. It all came back, flooding back
Ranma sighs and turns to leave, while When you said "I do"...
Ukyou watches Ranma go...

Ukyou: [whispers] Ranma... I love you...

Ranma: [touches Ukyou's shoulder] Um... if this is a bad time, Ucchan, I can
leave...

[Ukyou's eyes snap open, and she instantly freezes at the sight of Ranma.]

Ukyou: [flushed] Ra.. Ra... Ranma...

Ranma: What?

Ukyou: [rips off headphones] You're here!

Ranma: Hai. I'm supposed to be. You told me to meet you here at noon, so here
I am. [smiles]

Ukyou: How long have you been here?

Ranma: I just got here. I'm not late, am I?

Ukyou: [looks at watch] No, no... I, uh, just fell asleep for a while I guess.

Ranma: Well, I wouldn't have even woken you up, except that you _did_ say it
was important that I show up.

Ukyou: Well, of course! You didn't even bother to call to cancel our last
study date!

Ranma: Oh! [flashback to the park incident and the Phoenix's departure] Gomen..
there was a... problem by the apartment that needed to be taken care
of quickly, and I didn't have time to call you. [pauses] Tell you what.
I'll buy you lunch today. How's that?

Ukyou: Sure! Let's go!! You can tell me all about your "incident" over a
burger. [smiles]

Ranma: Now??

Ukyou: Of course! Aren't you hungry?

Ranma: [grins] Hai!

[Ukyou puts her books and walkman in her backpack, then gets up and heads
toward the Student Union. Ranma watches Ukyou's retreating figure, then
looks at the spot where Ukyou was leaning against the tree for a moment,
before hurrying to catch up with her.]

* * *

[Akane walks through the doors of the restaurant and spots Nabiki in a nearby
booth. She seats herself and drops her pack on the seat next to her.]

Akane: Konnichiwa, Nabiki-oneesan. [smiles]

Nabiki: Konnichiwa. How is life at the apartment?

Akane: Couldn't be better! [smiles brightly, then remembers the morning's
incident and the smile fades slightly]

Nabiki: Great. I'm also glad you could make it today for lunch. I just _had_
to get out of my place for a while today. Junko's getting on my nerves.

Akane: [blinks] Junko? Your roommate?

Nabiki: Hai. She sleeps in every day, or if she's not sleeping, she's on the
couch watching TV, or eating snacks or something. She never seems to
study at all, and she's always skipping her morning classes.

Akane: Well, maybe she's just got some problems to work out, you know?

Nabiki: Maybe. Funny thing is that she never brings home any guys or girls,
not even a study partner.

Akane: Well, maybe she's not into dating. You really have to stop thinking
about it, Nabiki. Maybe it's just her way of getting used to college.

Nabiki: Yeah, I guess you're right. Well, I'm hungry. Order anything you want.
Lunch is on me today. [smiles]

Akane: [blinks in surprise] Are you serious?

Nabiki: Of course. Would I joke about money?

Akane: No, I guess not. [smiles] Arigato.

* * *

[Mizunoikan Student Union. Crowds of students are milling about here and there
or lounging on the building's shady expanse of grass. At a bench underneath an
exceptionally shaded tree, Makiko and Junko sit talking. Ukyou soon walks up
with Ranma, and the two join them.]

Makiko: ... so that's how I met Hito-chan.

Junko: [smiles] He sounds way too cool. I wish I could meet him sometime.

Makiko: You and me both. [giggles]

[Ukyou looks at Ranma and rolls her eyes skyward. Ranma supresses a chuckle
and shifts his pack to the other shoulder.]

Makiko: Hi, Ukyou! How are you?

Ukyou: Just fine. [smiles]

Makiko: Oh, where are my manners? Junko, this is Kuonji Ukyou and...

Junko: [interrupting] Saotome Ranma. I've heard a lot about you. [smiles]

Ranma: [blinks] Have we met?

Junko: No, I don't believe so. I'm Nabiki's roommate.

Ranma: Nice to finally meet you. [smiles]

[Ukyou sits down at the table. Ranma notices the only free spot at the table
is also next to Ukyou and smiles slightly at this before sitting down as well.]

Makiko: Are you done for the day, Ranma?

Ranma: Yeah, though I have a ton of homework, as usual.

Ukyou: Which reminds me, you're supposed to come over tonight so we can go
over the Composition assignment.

Makiko: Hey, Junko, why don't you come over as well? It'll be so cool...
Ukyou's cooking dinner tonight.

Ranma: [grins] I guess I'd better show up then.

Junko: [pauses] Well, actually, I don't think I can. I have some stuff to do
at home still... [trails off]

Ukyou: Are you sure? I don't mind cooking for more. [winks at Ranma]

Junko: No, thanks for inviting me though. [smiles]

Ranma: Well, I'm hungry now! I'm going to grab something to eat. Can I get any
of you anything?

Ukyou: My burger. [pokes Ranma]

Ranma: Uh... hai. [smiles]

Makiko: Nothing for me, thanks.

Junko: Could you get me a diet coke?

Ranma: [nods and stands up] No problem. Be back in a jif.

[Ranma leaves the girls at the table and heads toward the Union itself. The
scene pulls back to a wide shot of the campus itself, and then towards the blue
sky above.]

* * *

[Early evening. Makiko turns on her computer and waits for it to power up. She
then moves the mouse to the appropriate window, and soon the Mizunoikan
computer system is on her screen. She types quickly, entering her username and
password, and then quickly scans her new messages.]

Makiko: [squeals] Yay! Hito-chan sent me a reply finally!

[Makiko reads the message on the screen...]

"Maki-chan,

Thank you for your recent reply. I hope that my advice on that program was
enough of a help for you. (^_^)

To answer your other question, that girl I told you about is in one of my
other classes here at Noumunoikan - Calculus. She's really beautiful, though
she doesn't seem like a freshman. I haven't gotten her name yet, but I will
soon!

Lastly, how are things with your roommate (Kuonji? Is that her name?) going?
Do you two get along or are you tearing each other's hair out yet? Tell, tell!

Write soon!"

[Makiko sighs and leans back in her chair.]

Makiko: [to herself] So, Hito-chan's in love. How sweet! [smiles]

Ukyou's voice: Tadaima!

Makiko: [shouting] Konbanwa, Ukyou!

Ukyou: [entering bedroom] Konbanwa. [smiles] What'cha up to?

Makiko: Just finished reading my mail. Seems Hito-chan's in love with a
new freshman at Noumunoikan. [smiles]

Ukyou: Isn't he like 23 or something? I'm surprised he's not already married.
[drops books on her bed]

Makiko: Well, yes, he's a little older than most of the freshmen, but that
doesn't mean anything.

Ukyou: [grins] Well, at least _he's_ found someone. [sighs]

Makiko: Oh Ukyou, don't be like that. [pauses] I know. Let's go rent a movie
to watch over dinner.

Ukyou: [smiles] Sounds like a plan! [frowns slightly] Oh, wait... I can't
tonight. I have a study date with Ran-chan.

Makiko: Oh. Is he coming here tonight or are you going over to his place?

Ukyou: He's coming here. We'll study in the living room so we don't disturb
you.

Makiko: That's fine. [smiles]

Ukyou: I'm cooking dinner, so have an appetite later. [giggles]

Makiko: [turns back to screen] Sure thing!

[Ukyou exits and closes the door behind her. Makiko busily starts typing away
at her keyboard, mumbling to herself as she types.]

* * *

Nabiki: Junko? I'm leaving to study. If anyone calls, I'm over at Kuno's
place, ok?

Junko: [nods] Ok. Have fun. [smiles]

Nabiki: [looks back at Junko and grins] Yeah, right.

[Nabiki leaves, and soon the sound of her scooter can be heard revving up and
then going down the street. Junko sits back again in the coach and flips
through the channels on TV.]

TV voice: ... So come on down to the Nekohanten! Great food, great fun, great
family entertainment! And Thursday night is Ladies' Night, with all
imports only 2400 yen! The Nekohanten... You'll be purring with
delight!

[As the announcer reads off the last sentence, a picture of a scantily clad
Shampoo appears on the screen holding a tray of glasses and a pitcher of beer
and winks at the camera.]

Junko: Hmm. I wonder if that's the same Shampoo that Nabiki mentioned...

[Junko's musings are interrupted, however, as the doorbell rings.]

Junko: Hai! [gets up to go answer it]

Person: Shimada-san! Konbanwa!

Junko: [surprised] Konbanwa, Shirow-san. What brings you here?

Shirow: I was in the neighborhood, and I thought I'd stop by.

Junko: [smiles] Well, I'm glad you did! Come in, please! [steps aside to let
Shirow enter]

Shirow: Wow... this place is really nice.

Junko: Ah, well, I just pay the rent. Tendo Nabiki owns the place, actually.
I still am amazed at how she was able to afford it.

Shirow: Me too. [slowly turns around to take in the surroundings] You know,
there was another reason that I stopped by... [gaze finally rests on
Junko]

Junko: [slightly unsure] ...uh... and that is..?

Shirow: [steps forward towards Junko] Well, are you alone tonight?

Junko: [steps towards Shirow] ...um.. hai...

Shirow: [steps forward again] And is your roommate due back anytime soon?

Junko: [steps forward, inches away from Shirow] Um... [looks up into his
eyes expectantly] no... not until late tonight. [smiles and semi-closes
her eyes]

Shirow: [stops and smiles] Good! Can you help me with my Sociology homework?
[pulls textbook out of nowhere] I really need the help!

[Junko face-faults.]

* * *

Kasumi: [screams] EEEEEEE!!! Yuriko!! Why are there mice all over the kitchen??

[Kasumi is standing on a chair with little white mice scampering here and there
and avoiding the broom that Kasumi is trying vainly to swipe at them with.
Yuriko comes rushing in.]

Yuriko: Gomen! Gomen!! Somehow my experiment got loose! [kneels down and starts
trying to catch the mice]

Kasumi: Experiment? What experiment? You mean the one with the green notebook
you've been carrying around?

Yuriko: Um... no, actually, that one goes to the experiment in the freezer.

Kasumi: What about the freezer?

[Yuriko opens the freezer door and pulls out a huge spherical ball covered in
ice. She knocks off most of the ice to reveal a basketball.]

Yuriko: I saw this show on TV where they froze a handball and then shattered
it. I thought I could go one better, and see how long it'd take before
the basketball's surface was brittle enough to shatter, [bounces ball
on kitchen tile, barely missing several mice] but it seems to be taking
longer than I anticipated.

Kasumi: But that still doesn't explain the mice!

Yuriko: [puts basketball back in freezer] Oh, well see I have another
experiment going on upstairs where I have two cages with mice in them.
I also have a maze for them to run through. One cage has regular mice
in it, but the other has mice that have been getting regular doses of
this strength-enhancing formula I came up with in lab. I guess I left
one of the cages unlocked.

Kasumi: "Strength-enhancing formula"?

Yuriko: Yeah, I made it myself after doing some research in sports medicine,
and getting info from the track team and... [realization dawns on her]
Oh no.. you don't think ... [runs off to her room]

Kasumi: Yuriko!! Please get the mice out of here!!!

Yuriko: [runs back in] They did! They broke out! This is way too cool! [goes
off to find her notebook]

Kasumi: Yuriko, please!!!

* * *

Ranma: I still don't see why that part needs to be rewritten.

Ukyou: [holding paper] It's obvious to me! See? [points to a specific part]
Your argument is too weak right here. You're not supporting your
statement in the first paragraph.

Ranma: [looks glumly at paper] I'll never get the hang of this.

Ukyou: Oh, c'mon. It's not that bad. For the most part, you've chosen a good
thesis to work with, it's just that stance is tough to defend.

Ranma: [leans back on couch] Well, I know I'm starving right now. I can't think
on an empty stomach.

Ukyou: Would you like me to start dinner now?

Ranma: Oh no, you don't have to...

Ukyou: [interrupting] I don't mind at all. [smiles sweetly]

Ranma: [briefly pauses, remembering events earlier in the day at the tree]
Uh... sure. That's fine then. [smiles slightly]

[Ukyou quickly gets up and heads for the kitchen. Soon a pleasant smell
eminates from the kitchen. Makiko enters the living room.]

Makiko: Konbanwa, Ranma. [smiles] Is Ukyou cooking dinner?

Ranma: Hai. [grins] I told her I could've just gone out and grabbed something
on my way home, but she insisted.

Makiko: [giggles] That sounds like her.

Ranma: How do you like her cooking? She's an excellent okonomiyaki cook.

Makiko: Really? I didn't know that... she never cooks that here.

Ranma: [blinks] ... Oh?

Makiko: I'll have to ask her sometime to make that for dinner. Hmmm. [heads
for kitchen]

Ranma: [thinking] She doesn't cook okonomiyaki anymore? I don't get it...
[out loud] Ucchan! Just what _are_ you making for dinner tonight??

Ukyou: [from kitchen] Stir-fry! It'll be ready in a couple of minutes!

Ranma: [calls back] No okonomiyaki?

Ukyou: [from kitchen] Uh... I don't have the ingredients for it here. Gomen!

Ranma: [walks into kitchen] That's fine. This is just a surprise, that's why
I asked.

[Ukyou looks at her feet, then looks back at the pot so Ranma doesn't see her
blush.]

Ukyou: I just thought I'd... uh... try something new. I hope you don't mind.

Ranma: [leaving kitchen] Not at all.

* * *

[A figure sits writing notes in a notebook and flipping through a thick book.
Or at least, trying to.]

Akane: [glancing at the clock] Where IS that hentai? Ranma should've been back
by now...

[Sighing, Akane turns back to her book, chewing on her pencil as she keeps
glancing at the clock. A tapping noise is heard, and the writing stops. Akane
looks up toward the ceiling, trying to find the source of the noise.]

Akane: [sighs] Again? It can't be Kanrinin-san on the roof at THIS time of
night... [turns back to her book.]

[*TAP TAP*]

Akane: [stands up] This is getting ridiculous.

[Akane walks toward the wall that separates Rooms 3 and 4. On the other side,
the ceiling panel is missing, with a small stool under the missing panel. In
the ceiling itself, Choji is installing a microphone over the Saotomes' futon.
He finishes and exits quickly, making his way to the small wireless receiver
in a corner of Room 3.]

Choji: This should work just fine now. [looks up] Oops, forgot to put the
panel back.

[Choji lifts the ceiling panel back over its normal spot and lets it drop into
place. Unfortunately, the microphone also drops from its ceiling spot. It rolls
sideways and then lodges itself in a crack between a panel and its support.
Akane, however, is not satisfied that the tapping has stopped and is tapping
each panel overhead.]

Akane: [standing on tiptoe on a stool] There must be a mouse or something in
ceiling. Maybe if I go get some cheese, I can get it out.

[As she goes into the kithen, Choji sits down at the receiver and puts on the
headphones.]

Choji: Aaah. This will be perfect.

[Akane returns and tries to pop up the nearest tile. However, she tries pushing
up from an edge instead of from the middle, and the tile falls out onto Akane.
The microphone also falls, bouncing off the tile and into ... the fishbowl.]

Akane: [holding her head] Owwww! [sighs and looks up at the ceiling] Just
great; now I have a mess to clean up.

[Akane goes back into the kitchen to get some cleaning supplies. Meanwhile,
Choji turns on the wireless receiver...]

Choji: EEEEYYYYYYAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! [throws headphones off]

[Akane sticks her head out the window, but seeing nothing, she goes back inside
to clean up her mess.]

* * *

[Late evening at Maison Sabaku. Ranma opens the door to Room 4 and walks in.
Akane comes out from the kitchen with a glass of water.]

Akane: Where were you?? You should've called or something. At least I would've
gotten my studying done, instead of having to worry about where you
might be.

Ranma: Well, don't worry anymore. Next time I'm studying at Ukyou's, I'll
call...

Akane: [narrows eyes] You were _where_???

Ranma: I was studying at... [notices Akane's expression] Uh...

[*SLAP*]

Ranma: [holding a hand to his face] Hey!

Akane: You two-timing pervert!

Ranma: Wait just a minute! We were STUDYING! Nothing else happened!

Akane: How come I don't believe you?

Ranma: How should _I_ know what a tomboy like you is going to believe??

Akane: [glares] Why you...

* * *

[Knock at door. Kazuyo opens her door to find a slightly damp Ranma-chan
outside.]

Kazuyo: [smiles] Konbanwa! Is there something I can do for you?

Ranma-chan: Hai, Kanrinin-san. Do you have a mop I could borrow? Akane just
dumped a lot of water all over the place upstairs.

Kazuyo: Uh... sure, let me get it for you.

[Kazuyo returns shortly with a mop and pail and hands them to Ranma-chan.]

Ranma-chan: Arigato. I'll be right back with this.

Kazuyo: [watches Ranma-chan slowly walk up the stairs] No hurry. [smiles]

* * *

[A short time later...]

Voice: [outside door] Kanrinin-san, I've got the mop I borrowed from you
earlier!

[Kazuyo opens the door and looks directly at Ranma's chest, then up at his
face with a surprised expression on her face.]

Ranma: Thanks for letting us use this. We'll try not to make such a mess next
time. [smiles]

[Ranma jogs back up the stairs leaving a very confused Kazuyo in the doorway.]

* * *

Junko: ... so you see, Shirow-san, the percentage of people that are lower
class is a direct proportional result of the economy of that area.
[looks up] Shirow-san! Did you hear a word I said?

[Shirow, however, has not been paying attention, it seems. He drops his pencil
and looks at Junko for a sec, long enough for her to notice that he's been
doodling all over his notebook.]

Junko: [grabbing Shirow's notebook] Jeez. And you wanted me to help you study,
too. [leafs through it] Hmmm. Looks like you've been doodling in class
as well.

Shirow: [hangs head] Yeah... someday I want to be a famous artist. That stuff
is just a beginning. I'm going to write my own series someday.

Junko: Really? And what are you going to call it?

Shirow: [thinks for a moment] I think I'll call it... "Avocado Pit".

Junko: [blinks] ... uh, maybe it's time for you to go home.

Shirow: [gets up] What? You don't like the name?

Junko: [gathers Shirow's books and hands them to him] I think that maybe you've
been studying too much lately... maybe you should get more sleep, ne?

Shirow: [trying to hold all his books] I thought the name was quite original!

Junko: [opens the door and pushes him out] I'll see you in class tomorrow,
Shirow-san.

Shirow: [as door is closed in his face] Hey! What about "Applesauce"?

Junko: [leans with back against door smiling] Good night, Shirow-san.