Daigakusei no Ranma - Episode 8 [Fanfic]

Ranma Saotome

Jul 21, 1994, 6:35:20 PM7/21/94

It's hard to tell +-------------------------------+
If she's in love | Daigakusei no Ranma |
She doesn't let it show +-------------------------------+
If that's what she's thinking of | Written by: David Tai and |
She's a tough girl, though | Paul Gallegos |
She's got her pride +-------------------------------+
But she looked so fragile | Original Artwork by |
The day I saw her cry | Jong Man Hwang |
+-------------------------------+
There was you, you and me | Based on the characters |
And now I know where I want to be | created by Rumiko Takahashi |
+-------------------------------+
I don't want you saying you love me | (c) Copyright 1994 |
'Cause I can't say it, can't you see? | Digital Knight Communications |
And I don't want you to change your ways +-------------------------------+
'Cause I like you just the same | "Ranma 1/2" & its characters |
And all I want all this time | (c) Copyright 1994 |
All I need is your hand in mine | Viz Communications, Inc. |
And all I want all this time | Shogakukan, Kitty Animation |
All I need is your hand in mine | and Rumiko Takahashi |
All I need... +-------------------------------+

Episode 8: "Caught In The Act"

Hitomi: ... and that's all they said?

[Hitomi and Ranma sit on Hitomi's couch while she puts some more medication on
his face. Ranma raises a bandaged hand to flip his ponytail back over his
shoulder and sighs.]

Ranma: Hai. [wince] That stuff stings!

Hitomi: [dabs a little more on his forehead] Gomen! Gomen!

Ranma: [sighs] 'sok. Anyway, the first person I called was Akane, after they
dropped me off [snorts] at the park, but she wasn't home. Which is
really strange, 'cause she said she'd have dinner ready by 7:00 pm.
[pauses and winces again] Come to think of it, she's been gone a lot
in the evenings lately.

Hitomi: Maybe she's just studying at the library? [stops dabbing medicine and
looks at Ranma's face] There, all done.

Ranma: [watches Hitomi put first-aid kit away] But somehow I think that she
would've told me... [shrugs] In any case, we still have to figure out
a way to get Ukyou back. What do those instructions say again?

[Hitomi leans across Ranma to get the folded up paper lying on the table.
Ranma notices Hitomi's perfume and his eyes widen nervously.]

Hitomi: Let's see... [unfolds paper and reads] "You must 'borrow' the school's
baseball trophy and bring it to the south side of the park by the lake
by 5:00 pm tomorrow." [turns paper over] Hmm. That's it.

Ranma: [sighs] Great.

Hitomi: [concerned] Well, that shouldn't be too difficult. I mean, how many
baseball trophies does Mizunoikan have anyway?

Ranma: One.

Hitomi: Oh.

Ranma: And I have no idea how I'm going to get into the Athletic Director's
office to get it, either.

Hitomi: [pauses, then slowly smiles] Hmmm. Maybe I _can_ help after all...

* * *

[The next morning, Ranma sits in the shade of a large tree outside the
gymnasium. He looks nervously at his watch every five minutes, then finally
takes a book out of his backpack and starts to flip through it as the bell
rings, signaling the end of class for that hour.]

Ranma: [muttering] C'mon... I don't have all day...

[Two hands appear from behind him and cover his eyes gently. Ranma freezes
instantly.]

Voice: Guess who? [giggle]

Ranma: [thinking] If I guess the wrong one, I'm dead for sure... [out loud]
Uh... I give up.

Voice: Aw. You're supposed to guess! [removes hands]

[Ranma turns around to see the smiling face of Junko, who's kneeling behind
him. He breathes a sigh of relief.]

Ranma: [smiles] Junko!

Junko: [smiles] What are you up to? I was just headed to the gym for my
morning aerobics class.

Ranma: [blinks] Aerobics? What for?

Junko: [blushes] Well, to stay in shape for starters... [more quietly] and to
impress a certain someone.

Ranma: [grins] I see. [curiously] Is Akane in your class?

Junko: [shakes her head] Nope. Why do you ask?

Ranma: [shrugs] Just curious. She's been gone a lot lately.

Junko: [nods] That's funny, because Nabiki has been out a lot as well. I just
assumed she was at Kunou-sempai's place.

Ranma: Hmmm. I wonder if... [bell rings]

Junko: [getting up quickly] It's 10:00 already? I'm late! Sorry, I've got to
get going! [running toward gym] I'll talk to you later! [waves]

Ranma: [waves] Ja ne! [thinking] Both Nabiki and Akane have been absent,
Akane's been acting strange lately, and Ukyou's missing. It just doesn't
add up. Hmmm.

[Ranma picks up his book and starts to read again.]

* * *

[Inside the gymnasium, the students rush towards the exit as the bell rings,
except for one girl who stands off to the side looking at the pictures on the
walls of past Mizunoikan athletes. As the last student leaves, the girl looks
around and then walks toward the Athletic Director's office.]

Hitomi: [thinking] Ranma said the Director's office would be down this hallway.
[looks at room numbers] 204... 206... 210... 214! Yatta!

[Hitomi peeks in the window and sees a figure inside writing at his desk. She
retreats back to the bench a couple of doors down from the office.]

Hitomi: [sighs, to herself] Now all I have to do is wait.

[Hitomi looks at her watch, which reads 9:54 am. At precisely 10:00 am, the
bell rings just as the door to the Athletic Director's office opens. Hitomi
quickly gets up and, with a look of determination on her face, runs down the
hall and into the man who is just exiting the office, causing both of them to
fall to the floor.]

Hitomi: [getting up quickly] Oh! Gomen nasai! [starts to pick up papers and
books] I didn't mean to...

Ath. Dir: [blinks] You shouldn't be running in the halls at all, especially in
an athletic facility. [starts to pick up papers as well]

[Hitomi finds the man's keys, however, and pockets them with a slight smile,
before turning to the man and handing him his papers and books.]

Hitomi: [bows again] Gomen nasai! I was in a hurry to catch the Athletic
Director. Do you know which office he's in?

Ath. Dir: _I'm_ the Athletic Director. My name is Hashimoto Ikeda.

Hitomi: [blinks, then looks like she's going to cry] Oh no! I didn't mean...

Hashimoto: [smiles] No, really it's ok. I'm was just leaving for the day. What
was it that you wanted to talk to me about?

Hitomi: [sniffles slightly] Well, I wanted to see about getting into Mizunoikan
next year to play volleyball for your women's team.

Hashimoto: [motioning toward the exit] Why don't you walk with me to the front
gate? I'm meeting a friend who's driving me to the airport.

Hitomi: [nods] Un.

Hashimoto: [walks toward exit] So you want to play for Mizunoikan? Are you a
senior in high school?

Hitomi: Uh... no, actually I already graduated, but I'm taking a year off.

Hashimoto: I see. [opens door to let Hitomi out of the building]

Hitomi: [smiles] Arigato. I played last year for Tomobiki High School though,
and we went to the finals!

Hashimoto: Oh? [interested] Tell me all about it.

[By this time, the two are near Ranma's tree. He looks up and sees them, then
puts his book away in his backpack, leaving it open. He gets up, looks at his
watch, then walks toward the gymnasium, passing Hitomi and Hashimoto. With a
wink, Hitomi easily slips Hashimoto's keys into Ranma's open backpack, and
continues her conversation with Hashimoto.]

Ranma: [thinking] She did it! I don't know how, but she did it! Now all I have
to do is get that trophy and get over to the park. [pauses then snaps
fingers] And I know exactly how to surprise those guys...

* * *

[Around noon, Ranma opens the door to Room 4, setting his backpack gently on
the floor.]

Ranma: [breathes sigh of relief] Got it here safe and sound. Now to hide this
thing before Akane gets back...

Akane: [walking in from kitchen] Before I what?

Ranma: [jumps backwards] Uh... nothing, just wondering if you'd gotten yourself
a new hat. [pauses] Yeah... I thought I... had seen you earlier today
wearing a new hat.

Akane: [suspicious] No, I didn't get a new hat. [glances at Ranma's backpack]
What's in your backpack?

Ranma: [nervously] Oh! Uh... I had a lot of homework today, so I brought
all of my books with me.

Akane: Uh-huh.

Ranma: [narrows eyes] Which reminds me, where have you been for the last couple
of nights? Hitomi-chan told me she had tried to get a hold of you the
other night, around 7:00 pm, and you weren't here. [pauses] And I seem
to remember you telling me to be home around 7:00 pm for dinner...

Akane: [nervously] Uh... well... something came up and I had to go.

Ranma: Oh? Must've been something _really_ important for you to leave like
that.

Akane: [nervously] Uh... yeah.

Ranma: Uh-huh. You know something else interesting? I ran into Junko today, and
she mentioned that Nabiki's been gone a lot lately as well. You wouldn't
know anything about _that_ would you?

Akane: [nervously shaking her head] No... no, I don't ... uh... I didn't know
about Nabiki...

Ranma: Well, I guess she's leading her own life. [grins] Anyway... I need to
clean up. Oh, and by the way, we're out of meat buns. When you run to
the store next, can you get some more?

Akane: Uh... actually, I was... just about to go shopping. I'll go and get some
right now. [heads for the door]

Ranma: Uh... Akane?

Akane: [turns around nervously] Hai?

Ranma: [holds up purse] You want your purse?

Akane: [sheepishly takes purse] Arigato.

[Akane opens the door and leaves, while Ranma watches her with a smirk.]

Ranma: [thinking] She knows something she's not telling me.

[Ranma grabs his backpack and empties out the contents, leaving the trophy
inside. Then he heads into the bathroom. Moments later, Ranma-chan emerges
carrying a hot-water bottle. With a smirk, she puts the bottle in the pack,
zips it up, and heads out the door.]

* * *

[Ranma-chan walks down the sidewalk toward the lake. As she nears the lake, she
steps off the path and starts walking around in the bushes. Almost immediately,
she comes across a masked figure hiding in one of the bushes near the path.
Several moments later, the man sits tied-up to a tree wearing only boxers with
red hearts on them. Ranma-chan finishes tying a gag on the man, then dresses
quickly in the man's garb while the man sits and glares. She smiles cutely at
the guy, then pulls the hood over her head and looks at her watch, which reads
4:50 pm.]

* * *

[Cut to another watch which reads 5:05 pm. A group of figures has gathered in a
clearing in the bushes by the south side of the lake.]

Figure 1: [voice muffled] Saotome's late, it seems.

Figure 2: [voice muffled] Maybe he got caught by Hashimoto?

Figure 3: [voice muffled] But Hashimoto went out of town this morning. He had
all afternoon to get it.

Figure 4: [voice muffled] Maybe he doesn't care about Kuonji after all.

Figure 2: [voice muffled] Hey, there's only four people here. Where's
Hideyuki-kun?

[A figure emerges from the trees quietly.]

Figure 1: [voice muffled] Speak of the devil. Anyway, if Saotome doesn't show
in the next couple of minutes, we're going to have to resort to Plan
"B". The boss was quite clear on this.

Figure 3: [voice muffled] I dunno if I like the idea of breaking into Saotome's
place...

Figure 2: [voice muffled] But we _need_ that trophy if we're going to win this
contest.

Figure 3: [voice muffled] But I don't want to go to jail that badly!

Figure 4: [voice muffled] Then YOU come up with a way to get that trophy.

Figure 1: [voice muffled] Alright already. I think it's safe to assume that
Saotome's not coming. Hideyuki-kun, I want you to wait here until
5:30 pm, just to be sure Saotome's not just late. Whatever you do,
_don't_ go near him. If he shows up, just note the time and then take
off. Is that clear?

[The figure nods and turns to go.]

Figure 4: [voice muffled] Hey Hideyuki-kun! What are you carrying under your
shirt? [slaps the figure in the chest, then pulls away in surprise]
Bu... wh... you... [grabs figure]

Figure 1: [voice muffled] What?

Figure 4: [voice rising] This isn't Hideyuki!

[The figure pulls Ranma-chan's hood off, and gets a fist to the face for it.
Ranma-chan then takes off running into the bushes.]

Figure 1: [shouting] Quick! Fan out! She can't get far!

Ranma-chan: [to herself] Chikusho! My cover's blown!

[Ranma-chan quickly shucks the clothing and swings up into a nearby tree to
wait. Moments later, one of the hooded figures walks right under the tree.
Ranma-chan jumps out the tree, landing on the figure and knocking him to the
ground. He gets up once, then is knocked down again with a kick to the head.
Ranma-chan quickly looks around to see if anyone had heard, then drags the man
into the bushes and circles around the meeting area. As she's quietly walking
back to the clearing, she is grabbed from behind by another figure.]

Figure 3: [shouting] I got her! I got h... urk!

[The man is quickly quieted by an elbow in the stomach, followed by an overhead
blow to the back of the head. Ranma-chan smirks.]

Ranma-chan: [to herself] Two down, two more to go.

[She hears a noise and dives into the bushes as the remaining two figures
return quickly and find their fallen companion.]

Figure 1: [voice muffled] Baka! Looks like he got himself caught.

Figure 2: [voice muffled] Well, now what?

Figure 1: [voice muffled] I dunno. We've got to get back to the boss and see
what she says about all this. [turns around to face his companion]
How about... uh...

[Ranma-chan stands over the man's fallen companion. The man stares at Ranma-
chan, then slowly raises his hands in surrender.]

Ranma-chan: Good choice.

Figure 1: [voice muffled] You must be working with Saotome.

Ranma-chan: You could say that. Now what's all this about a contest? And what
does Ukyou have to do with it?

Figure 1: [voice muffled] I'm afraid that I'm not at liberty to say.

Ranma-chan: [steps forward menacingly] Think about what I've done to your four
friends here. Now think about what a pissed off Saotome Ranma will
do to YOU when I drag your sorry hide back to him, telling him you
won't talk to me.

[The man now is starting to sweat visibly under his hood.]

Figure 1: [voice muffled] Ok, I'll tell you what I know.

Ranma-chan: An even better choice.

* * *

[Inside Chez Funsui, Ranma sits with Hitomi talking about the day's events.]

Hitomi: [excitedly] ... and so he even offered me a scholarship if I try out
next year and make the team.

Ranma: [smiles] That's great, Hitomi-chan.

Hitomi: [nods] So did you get the trophy?

Ranma: [nods slowly] Yeah, but I didn't need it after all. Ukyou wasn't at the
park.

Hitomi: [blinks] She wasn't???

Ranma: [shakes his head slowly] Nope...

[Ranma gives Hitomi a quick rundown of the events that afternoon, minus the
girl-form situations. When he's done, Hitomi is visibly upset.]

Ranma: ... and that's what happened. Apparently, his boss is someone he's
never met, just talked to over the phone. However, if he got the trophy,
he was supposed to meet her tonight at 7:00 pm.

Hitomi: [ponders] Hmm. Maybe you ought to meet this boss-person anyway.

Ranma: [nods] That's what I'm going to do, except I don't know how I'm going
to get Ukyou out of there if she's being held hostage.

Hitomi: And you still don't know anything about this contest, either.

Ranma: [nods] That's the other puzzling part. The guy only said that this
"contest" was between two rival groups, and the trophy was the key to
winning it.

Hitomi: Well, it looks like one group already won.

Ranma: [blinks] Whaddya mean?

Hitomi: [smiles] What better way to get a valuable object that have someone
else do it for you? I mean, think about it; they kidnap Ukyou, then
make you get the one thing at Mizunoikan that can't just be replaced,
in exchange for Ukyou's safety. [pauses] Except that since you didn't
give them the trophy, Ukyou might be in real danger...

[Ranma turns very pale and nods slowly. Hitomi reaches across the table and
holds his hand.]

Hitomi: Ranma, you need to meet this boss-person. It's the only way you'll
get Ukyou back.

Ranma: [quietly] I know.

Hitomi: [glances at watch] Right now, it's 6:30 pm. Get going! If you're not
home by midnight, I'm calling the Marines! [smiles]

[Ranma smiles, then stands up and slowly walks out of Chez Funsui.]

Hitomi: [quietly] Good luck.

* * *

[Outside a warehouse, several figures gather around the entrance. Some are
limping, others are bandaged up. The door opens, and they all trudge in,
single-file. Before the door completely shuts, another shadow slips inside.
Cut to a high-backed chair facing away from us. One person sits in the chair,
while four figures stand around a box with a small lantern on it. The lantern
only gives out enough light to show the outlines of the figures but not much
else.]

Figure 1: Saotome didn't show up.

Figure 2: Some dame showed up instead and beat the living tar out of us.

Figure 3: Yeah, said she was working with Saotome.

Figure 1: She tried to make me talk, but I didn't tell her nuthin'.

Figure 4: You told her enough! She knows about this meeting!

Figure 1: Yeah, but how's she gonna get us? There ain't no place she can
hide in here...

Boss: [interrupting] People! People! Settle down! Now tell me, did this
"dame" have red hair in a ponytail?

Figure 3: Yeah! Scrappy little wench, too!

Boss: And she said she was working with Saotome, eh?

Figure 1: Hai!

Figure 4: You know who she is, boss?

Boss: Hai. [gestures] Would you two mind coming over here for a bit?

[Two more figures join the shadowy circle.]

Boss: It seems our little friend didn't like the surprise party we had for
him. Are you absolutely sure he has the trophy?

New Figure 1: [voice muffled] Hai.

Figure 3: What makes you think he'll show up at another meeting place?

New Figure 2: [voice muffled] He'll show up. After all, he wouldn't desert a
friend in need.

Boss: This is true. We have something he wants, and he has something we need,
which makes for a very nice business arrangement, don't you think?

Figure 2: Except, how are we going to get him here?

Voice: [from rafters] A better question would be: "How are you going to get out
of here?"

[Everyone looks up into the ceiling of the warehouse to find the source of the
voice. However, the two newcomers and the person in the chair are quicker to
react, slipping away from the circle of people and into the darkness. The rest
back slowly away from the lantern, seemingly melting into the darkness.]

Voice: It's no use running. I've blocked the exits. You can't escape.

[The shadowy figure easily creeps up on the first man, who is slowly walking
backward away from the lantern.]

Figure 1: [feels a tap on his shoulder] Wh...? [takes a swing behind him]

[*CRACK*]

[The shadow quickly hops onto and over some nearby crates, leaving the man on
the floor.]

Figure 2: Yoshi? Yoshi? Where'd you go?

[He walks slowly toward one crate and peeks around the corner.]

[*SLAM* *CRASH*]

[The shadow continues toward a third figure, leaving this last one unconscious
with his head stuck in a crate.]

Figure 3: Satoru? Is that you? [turns quickly around] What was that?

[He turns back around again.]

[*THUD*]

[Pan up from the man, who is now lying on the floor out cold with a footprint
on his face. The shadow turns its attention to the remaining figure, who is
waiting in a corner.]

Figure 4: You're not taking me that easily!

[Somehow, he avoids the shadow's first attack and kicks out, striking the
shadow in the chest. It staggers for a brief moment, and then just as quickly
retaliates.]

[*WHAP*]

Voice: Now, big boss, it's just you and me. [drops the last man on the floor]

Boss: [from somewhere in the warehouse] It's not that easy, Saotome.

[Ranma enters the small circle of light given off by the lantern.]

Ranma: [to himself] I know that voice... [snaps fingers] Of course!
[out loud] Ok, then tell me what you want.

Boss: The trophy.

Ranma: Why? What good is it to you? You can't sell it.

Boss: It's more valuable in the way we're going to use it.

Ranma: How's that?

Boss: There are two groups within Mizunoikan, warring factions, if you will.
It's strictly a matter of politics. The one who can show the most power
rules.

Ranma: How does the trophy fit into this?

Boss: It is a symbol of the ultimate authority. It is the one prize Mizunoikan
has that cannot be duplicated, or, in your own words, sold.

Ranma: Ok, then what happens if I give it to you?

Boss: You get Ukyou back.

[By now, Ranma has targeted the direction the voice is coming from. He turns
up the brightness of the lantern to see three figures standing just outside
the circle of light.]

Ranma: What if I refuse?

Boss: You don't want to do that.

Ranma: No, really. Tell me what would happen if I refused.

Boss: ...

Ranma: You obviously can't defeat me [gestures back to the rest of the
warehouse] with these jerks.

Figure 1: [voice muffled] You really don't care about your friend too much,
do you?

Ranma: How do you figure that? I'm here, aren't I?

[At this everyone becomes silent.]

Ranma: So tell me, what would happen if I didn't play along with your little
game? Hmmm?

Figure 2: [voice muffled] Something will happen to your friend.

Ranma: [starting to enjoy himself] Tell me. Name something.

[Ranma walks around the lantern in a circle.]

Ranma: [amused] Well, go on! Tell me! WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

[Ranma pauses for a long moment, and then finally sits down in the chair facing
the three figures.]

Ranma: [amused] That's right. Nothing will happen to Ukyou.

[Another long pause. Ranma leans back in the chair and looks directly at the
middle of the three figures.]

Ranma: [smirks] Isn't that right... Nabiki?

Nabiki: [stepping forward] How'd you know?

Ranma: [grins] I didn't, until I listened in on your little conversation with
the goon squad [jerks thumb backwards] over here. When you mentioned a
business arrangement, it all fit.

[The other two figures step forward.]

Ranma: You can take off the mask, Akane. [nods at the other figure] You too,
Ucchan.

[Both women remove their ski masks and look at the floor.]

Ukyou: Ran-chan...

Ranma: [looking at Ukyou] I'm surprised that you even thought about
participating in this bakatare stunt. [turns to Akane] And you. I don't
even know what to say to you-- other than I'm disappointed. [turns back
to Nabiki] You want to tell me what started all this?

Nabiki: Well... remember that I mentioned that there were two groups on campus?
It's true. Every semester, there is a contest between the Young
Businessmen's Association and the Society of Professional Businessmen.
The ones who lose have to serve the winners for the rest of the
semester. The Y.B.A. have lost for the last three semesters in a row,
so they chose me to lead them this time.

Ranma: And so the trophy...

Nabiki: ... was to determine the winner of the contest.

Ranma: But I thought only juniors could be members of the Y.B.A.?

Nabiki: That's correct. I told Akane about it, and she offered to help. Ukyou
found out about it at lunch the other day, and she came up with the
idea to get you to get the trophy for us. Everything just seemed to
go from there.

Ranma: [glances at Ukyou and Akane] I see.

Nabiki: So what did you do with the trophy? The contest ends tonight.

Ranma: It's in a ... safe place. [pauses] What happens if no one wins the
contest?

Nabiki: [thinks] I dunno. It's never happened before.

Ranma: Uh... Well, I think it's about to happen.

Nabiki: Why? What do you mean? Where's the trophy?

Ranma: Well you know that Hashimoto is out of town this week, right?

Nabiki: You didn't...

Ranma: [nods] ...uh-huh, and left the keys in the office too. [smirks]

Nabiki: [groans] Oh no...

* * *

[Ranma is walking home, followed by Akane and Ukyou, who are walking several
steps behind him.]

Akane: [quietly] Ranma...

Ranma: [quietly] I don't feel like talking right now.

[The three walk back to Maison Sabaku in complete silence. As they walk up the
front steps, Hitomi comes running out and hugs Ranma.]

Hitomi: Ranma-kun! [sighs] You're alright! I was worried! It's almost midnight,
you know! [looks past Ranma] You found Akane! [looks at Ukyou] And is
this your friend Ukyou? I'm glad you're safe!

Ranma: Uh... Hitomi-chan, now's not the time...

[Ranma glances back to look at Akane, who is starting to become visibly upset.
He then looks at Ukyou, who is looking elsewhere with a faraway expression on
her face. He turns his attention back to Hitomi and gently removes her arms
from around him.]

Ranma: [tiredly] Look, Hitomi-chan, I'll tell you what happened tomorrow, ok?
Right now, I just want to go to sleep.

Hitomi: [smiles] Ok! [to Akane] I'm glad you both are alright. Ranma was really
worried about you. He was running all over town trying to find you,
y'know?

[Ranma walks inside with Hitomi, leaving both Ukyou and Akane to ponder this on
the steps.]

* * *

[Ranma walks out of the bathroom, dressed in his normal shorts and tank-top.
He grabs a pillow and a blanket from the closet and walks to the door, opening
it just as Akane is about to insert her key. Akane looks at him, looks at the
pillow and blanket, and looks at him again.]

Akane: Where are you going?

Ranma: To sleep. [Akane opens her mouth to say something] On the roof.

Akane: ... [looks at the floor]

Ranma: [slips past her into the hallway] Good night.

Akane: [quietly] Ranma... I... I didn't know...

Ranma: [quietly] Maybe next time you'll remember before you play another cruel
joke like that.

[Ranma walks downstairs, leaving Akane standing in the doorway looking at the
floor.]

* * *

[Ranma lies on his back looking at the stars. It's a unseasonably warm night,
perfect for sleeping outdoors. He sighs and closes his eyes to sleep.]

Akane: [almost whispering] Ranma.

[Ranma opens his eyes and sees Akane standing on the roof. He sits up and looks
at the blanket.]

Ranma: Yeah?

[Akane walks over to him and kneels next to him.]

Akane: I really am sorry.

Ranma: [looks away] I know.

Akane: ...

Ranma: [looks at Akane] Maybe... [pauses] maybe if you ask me next time, I'll
help. [smiles]

[Akane blinks. Then a smile slowly spreads across her face.]

Akane: [smiles] Next time, I will.

Ranma: [grins] Good. That way I don't have to ask Hitomi-chan for help.

[Akane's smile fades as quickly as it came.]

Akane: And just WHAT is going on between you and her anyway??

Ranma: [blinks] What? Nothing! I swear!

Akane: It sure didn't look like it at the front door!

Ranma: But...

[Cut back to a shot of Maison Sabaku, where the lights in the rooms start
turning back on one by one as the two argue loudly.]

* * *

[Cut to Makiko and Ukyou's apartment. Ukyou unlocks the door and enters the
darkened apartment. She closes the door and leans with her back against it.
A light snaps on from the hallway, as a half-asleep Makiko walks into the
room.]

Makiko: [sleepily] Ukyou? Is that you?

Ukyou: [tiredly] Hai.

Makiko: [sleepily] Ok, just shut off the light before you go to bed.

[Makiko turns back around and trudges into her bedroom. Ukyou, however, walks
over to the couch and slowly sits down. She sits in silence, staring out into
the dark and empty room, then cradles her head in her hands.]

Ukyou: [quietly] Ran-chan. I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...

[Makiko opens the door slowly and peeks her head out. She then walks back into
the room and sits down next to Ukyou.]

Makiko: [whispering] It's ok, Ukyou... it's ok...

Ukyou: [whispering] I didn't mean to...

Makiko: [whispering] It's ok, Ukyou... he still cares about you. He does.
Otherwise he wouldn't have gone after you, right?

Ukyou: [whispering] Hai...

[Ukyou looks up briefly, then completely loses control and starts to cry.
Makiko hugs Ukyou tightly as the camera fades to black.]

finis.

For the first time today +----------------------------+
I saw in your eyes | All episodes are available |
The beauty that hides within | via anonymous ftp at: |
Shining bright through the skies | Paladine.HACKS.Arizona.EDU |
| in both normal text |
For the first time tonight | and PostScript(tm) formats |
I saw in your soul +----------------------------+
The love that drives you | Jong Man Hwang's artwork |
And the gentleness that you hold | of the DnR characters is |
| in the /sketches directory |
As long as the sun sets | on the Paladine FTP site |
As long as the stars shine +----------------------------+
We'll be together | To join the DnR pre-reader |
Until the end of time | mailing list, send email |
| requesting information to: |
(Forever) (and ever) | RA...@HACKS.Arizona.EDU |