Is this newsgroup usually this slow these days?

Arnold Kim

Dec 11, 2008, 10:33:02 PM12/11/08
Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
least a little more lively...

Arnold Kim

Travers Naran

Dec 11, 2008, 10:39:33 PM12/11/08
Arnold Kim wrote:
> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
> least a little more lively...

1) ELL left the group

2) Anims is dying because of
a) Fansubs, or
b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management

3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.

Chose 1 or more of the above.

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Abraham Evangelista

Dec 11, 2008, 11:00:30 PM12/11/08

It comes and it goes. You (thankfully!) missed the last flameware.
Students aren't quite done with semesters yet.

Also, it's not quite time for the new season.

All that aside... Ranka or Sheryl? :-)
--
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Dec 11, 2008, 11:04:15 PM12/11/08

"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Klan.

Derek Janssen

Dec 11, 2008, 11:06:37 PM12/11/08
Travers Naran wrote:

> Arnold Kim wrote:
>
>> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things
>> being at least a little more lively...
>

> 1) ELL left the group
>
> 2) Anims is dying because of
> a) Fansubs, or
> b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
> 3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
>
> Chose 1 or more of the above.

I'll write in "4) No new licenses till the spring cons".

Derek Janssen (and save a 5 for "Funi STILL won't tell us whether
they're going ahead with that wrongo Sgt Frog dub")
eja...@verizon.net

The Relic

Dec 11, 2008, 11:35:51 PM12/11/08

It's like this at many of the NGs I go to...I attribute
the problem to many of the bigger ISPs eliminating
Usenet access. My own ISP (Ameritech) eliminated
access to the Binary groups (which meant I no longer
can access the anime pictures NGs or post pics to
them), but I can at least read the text groups...
until the ISPs decide to eliminate access to them as well.

Plus, many have moved onto blogsites or social networking
sites, and the young'uns may not even know about Usenet...
man, I'm feelin' old (I started posting here I think
back in late 1995, around the time I started subbing to
the Ranma, UY and the MI-Translation MLs).

Maybe it will pick up, but I think much of the old traffic
was from college students using their computers, and it
would slow down when they would go on break. But I
don't think they are on break yet (been a loooong time
since I saw the inside of a college building).

Arnold Kim

Dec 11, 2008, 11:39:24 PM12/11/08

"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Ranka, clearly, though I also got a soft spot for Klan Klan. Sheryl can be
something of a self centered bitch at times. Okay, I liked Minmay, and she
had her moments too (DYRL just prior to the final battle comes to mind) she
was just so gosh darned cute...

And I don't know if any show could really capture the feel of the original,
but damn it if Macross Frontier isn't a worthy successor. Love the little
homages to prior shows, like the Macross Zero movie reenactment.

Arnold Kim

Justin

Dec 11, 2008, 11:47:52 PM12/11/08

Big or little?

Justin

Dec 11, 2008, 11:48:42 PM12/11/08
Arnold Kim wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:39:24 -0500]:

> And I don't know if any show could really capture the feel of the original,
> but damn it if Macross Frontier isn't a worthy successor. Love the little
> homages to prior shows, like the Macross Zero movie reenactment.

Or all the Macross 7 music and references to Basara

Justin

Dec 11, 2008, 11:49:32 PM12/11/08
The Relic wrote on [Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:35:51 -0500]:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
>> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
>> least a little more lively...
>>
>> Arnold Kim
>>

> It's like this at many of the NGs I go to...I attribute
> the problem to many of the bigger ISPs eliminating
> Usenet access. My own ISP (Ameritech) eliminated

Ameritech? Didn't they get absorbed by SBC and then change name to AT&T?

Astrobiochemist

Dec 12, 2008, 12:16:38 AM12/12/08

Also, lots of service providers are eliminating usenet support,
forcing people off of usenet entirely or to use services like Google
Groups. However, many people who still access Usenet through clients
block Google Groups and related services as a matter of course.

It's very sad.

sanjian

Dec 12, 2008, 12:22:15 AM12/12/08

"Justin" <nos...@insightbb.com> wrote in message

Yes.

The Relic

Dec 12, 2008, 1:52:57 AM12/12/08

Yeah, mind-slip. Sorry.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 12, 2008, 3:14:18 AM12/12/08
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:35pm-0500, The Relic <reli...@ameritech.net>:

> Arnold Kim wrote:
> > Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
> > least a little more lively...
> >

> It's like this at many of the NGs I go to...I attribute
> the problem to many of the bigger ISPs eliminating
> Usenet access. My own ISP (Ameritech) eliminated
> access to the Binary groups (which meant I no longer
> can access the anime pictures NGs or post pics to
> them), but I can at least read the text groups...
> until the ISPs decide to eliminate access to them as well.
>
> Plus, many have moved onto blogsites or social networking
> sites, and the young'uns may not even know about Usenet...

From experience, there are more spontaneous back-and-forth
and timely conversations going on those other sites.
Unfortunately, this newsgroup has lost much of that.

We also lost a lot of different voices to liven things up.
Many of the good people who used to post here no longer do.
It's not even noticeable anymore.
Even I come and go now for periods, and there's no difference.

> man, I'm feelin' old (I started posting here I think
> back in late 1995, around the time I started subbing to
> the Ranma, UY and the MI-Translation MLs).

I was at the Sailor Moon and Hitoshi Doi MLs.
I tried adding the Ranma and AMG MLs,
but the traffic was too high to keep up. ^_^

I suppose those MLs are pretty much dead now.
My my, how times change.

> Maybe it will pick up, but I think much of the old traffic
> was from college students using their computers, and it
> would slow down when they would go on break. But I
> don't think they are on break yet (been a loooong time
> since I saw the inside of a college building).

No, it won't pick up.
Every month of every year, my PINE client asks me if I want
to archive that month's messages into that month-year folder.
So every month, I could see how active I was on the NGs.
I found it to be a good indicator of how active the NGs are.

It hasn't been picking up since the end of last year
(save for the only flame war left, y'know the doom & gloom)
when I noted how this NG is progressively slipping into oblivion. ;-)

<http://groups.google.com/g/9d77ff07/t/33fb9d77ad2bf6ae/d/a006e741e7b2c3f9>

Also, for several years now, it hasn't been fluctuating
based on the school semesters like it had in years prior.
So I no longer think the schoolyear is a factor for a long time.

It's just the same-old same-old, that's all.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Lee Ratner

Dec 12, 2008, 6:19:48 AM12/12/08
On Dec 11, 10:39 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
> > Or did I just come back at a "down" time?  Seem to remember things being at
> > least a little more lively...
>
> 1) ELL left the group
>
> 2) Anims is dying because of
> a) Fansubs, or
> b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
> 3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
>
> Chose 1 or more of the above.

You forgot option 4, usenet is slowly dying.

sanjian

Dec 12, 2008, 7:09:35 AM12/12/08

"Lee Ratner" <LBRa...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Does that mean we'll eventually have to go to rec_arts_anime.com?

Abraham Evangelista

Dec 12, 2008, 7:20:24 AM12/12/08

Loli or Boin? :-)
--
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Dec 12, 2008, 8:04:44 AM12/12/08

"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Yes.

Captain Nerd

Dec 12, 2008, 8:47:17 AM12/12/08
In article <qrmdnWvLt44Zyd_U...@posted.internetamerica>,
"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

I blame fansubbers...

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Pete Holland Jr.

Dec 12, 2008, 8:49:14 AM12/12/08
> 1) ELL left the group
>
> 2) Anims is dying because of
> a) Fansubs, or
> b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
> 3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.

I would like to add one thing to this list: anime was trendy for a
while, and trends fade away.

Rob Kelk

Dec 12, 2008, 8:59:47 AM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:39:33 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Arnold Kim wrote:
>> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
>> least a little more lively...
>
>1) ELL left the group
>
>2) Anims is dying because of
>a) Fansubs, or
>b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
>3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
>
>Chose 1 or more of the above.

4) Usenet is "dying".

5) People have gotten fed up with the two people on the group who insist
(despite repeatedly being presented with a large amount of evidence to
the contrary) that #2 above is true, and have left in disgust.

6) It's Christmas time and people are busy with exams / year-end work /
holiday shopping, making this a "down" time.

Based on seasonal variations in previous years, trends across Usenet,
and other personal observations, I pick #6.

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"

Galen

Dec 12, 2008, 10:27:22 AM12/12/08
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:33:02 -0500, "Arnold Kim"
<arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

A lot of traffic went to 4chan, which doesn't object to
sophmoric humor and allows posting an image to go
with the commentary.
For the more verbose, there's places like AnimeNano.

-Galen

Justin

Dec 12, 2008, 10:30:03 AM12/12/08

NP, I was concerned I had entered a time slip

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 12, 2008, 12:02:06 PM12/12/08
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 1:59pm-0000, Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com>:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:39:33 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Arnold Kim wrote:
> >> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
> >> least a little more lively...
> >
> >1) ELL left the group
> >
> >2) Anims is dying because of
> >a) Fansubs, or
> >b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
> >
> >3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
> >
> >Chose 1 or more of the above.
>
> 4) Usenet is "dying".
>
> 5) People have gotten fed up with the two people on the group who insist
> (despite repeatedly being presented with a large amount of evidence to
> the contrary) that #2 above is true, and have left in disgust.
>
> 6) It's Christmas time and people are busy with exams / year-end work /
> holiday shopping, making this a "down" time.
>
> Based on seasonal variations in previous years, trends across Usenet,
> and other personal observations, I pick #6.

Ever since the decline of usenet,
discussions have been getting fragmented as fans go to
different sites but not all sites (in fact, to each only a few).

Doug Jacobs

Dec 12, 2008, 12:47:38 PM12/12/08
Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
>> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being at
>> least a little more lively...
>
> 1) ELL left the group
>
> 2) Anims is dying because of
> a) Fansubs, or
> b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
> 3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
>
> Chose 1 or more of the above.

You forgot #4: usenet not as popular as it used to be, and now Comcast and
several other ISPs no longer provide feeds for it.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Doug Jacobs

Dec 12, 2008, 12:51:15 PM12/12/08
Pete Holland Jr. <pet...@uti.com> wrote:
> I would like to add one thing to this list: anime was trendy for a
> while, and trends fade away.

Well, more specifically, it was trendy with college-aged nerds who were
also computer savvy circa the 80s and 90s. Anime is still trendy - but to
a much younger crowd. A crowd not familiar with usenet.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2008, 3:38:47 PM12/12/08
On Dec 11, 7:39 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
> > Or did I just come back at a "down" time?  Seem to remember things being at
> > least a little more lively...
>
> 1) ELL left the group
>
> 2) Anime is dying because of

> a) Fansubs, or
> b) Crappy Anime distributors and their poor business management
>
> 3) Not a lot of hot, new anime these days.
>
> Chose 1 or more of the above.

3) is a subset of 2).

I mean, even of the shows licensed, would there be any hot licenses
which haven't already been fansubbed to death?

Mike (Oh, and here's another nail in the coffin: $1 now = 88 yen.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2008, 3:39:55 PM12/12/08
On Dec 12, 3:19 am, Lee Ratner <LBRat...@gmail.com> wrote:

>    You forgot option 4, usenet is slowly dying.

Answering both you and Astrobio...

SLOWLY??

The only question is whether you believe the government line about
kiddie porn, or whether you believe this is actually about squelching
some of the violent discussion going on in the political groups...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2008, 3:41:19 PM12/12/08

_BUYING_ anime was the trend.

Anime itself would only be considered a trend if you actually believe
that anime would survive as a niche market again (in either here or
Japan).

Anime will go the way of the American-made car -- blammo.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2008, 3:42:29 PM12/12/08
On Dec 12, 5:59 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> 5) People have gotten fed up with the two people on the group who insist
> (despite repeatedly being presented with a large amount of evidence to
> the contrary) that #2 above is true, and have left in disgust.

And fuck them all in the ear. Sayanora to the deluded, then.

I understand that you can try to ignore reality to change it, but the
hard numbers are not there for you.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2008, 3:43:01 PM12/12/08
*Sigh* Ninjas or pirates??

Mike

Astrobiochemist

Dec 12, 2008, 4:15:05 PM12/12/08
>>> Ameritech? Didn't they get absorbed by SBC and then change name to AT&T?
>
>> Yeah, mind-slip. Sorry.
>
> NP, I was concerned I had entered a time slip

With a bit of a mind flip
You're there in the time slip
Let's do the Time Warp again!

Dave Baranyi

Dec 12, 2008, 4:21:26 PM12/12/08

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being
> at least a little more lively...
>
> Arnold Kim

Hi Arnold - I've been having news server problems recently so I've been
posting less. Now I am trying out this news server based upon Rob Kelk's
recommendation.

As far as the general reduction of posts over the past few years goes, I've
got to believe that a good part is due to the increased availability of
anime. It's no longer like the "old days" when there were few series
available to the North American market and therefore most everyone watched
those that were, and could comment upon them. Nowadays there is enough
selection locally, and even more on the web, so there are no shows that
"everyone" watches because we can all pick and choose what we like.

So the old "obligation" to watch a series that you might not really like is
no longer there, because you can drop it and find something else that you do
like. Thus the pool of fans who have seen any given series has thinned out.
This means that the amount of discussion has gone down because there are
fewer people to comment upon a post on a given series. I don't comment upon
series that I'm not following, and I suspect that most people are following
the same ground rule. This means fewer flame wars, and also fewer posts.

Also, I'm not trying any longer to quasi-blog here at r.a.a.m. the series
that I am following. There are enough bloggers out there blogging almost
every new series so that there is really no need for anyone to put weekly
series updates here on r.a.a.m., as there might have been in the past.

Dave Baranyi

Derek Janssen

Dec 12, 2008, 4:44:38 PM12/12/08
Dave Baranyi wrote:

> As far as the general reduction of posts over the past few years goes, I've
> got to believe that a good part is due to the increased availability of
> anime. It's no longer like the "old days" when there were few series
> available to the North American market and therefore most everyone watched
> those that were, and could comment upon them. Nowadays there is enough
> selection locally, and even more on the web, so there are no shows that
> "everyone" watches because we can all pick and choose what we like.
>
> So the old "obligation" to watch a series that you might not really like is
> no longer there, because you can drop it and find something else that you do
> like.

ANN recently asked a question that's been on all our old-timer minds
lately: "Whatever happened to Serial Experiment Lain?"
(Y'know, the one you were punishingly *supposed* to watch, because it
was On Disk?)

> This means that the amount of discussion has gone down because there are
> fewer people to comment upon a post on a given series.

Also, with the craze for licensing a new series before its diapers are
even dry, from-Tokyo reports of "What's New airing this week?" are kind
of shrugged off, as A) those of us who don't read the local Newtypes
have literally never heard of the shows before the post (thus
registering a "Huh.", B) the BT subs already appeared without fanfare or
won't be out for another week, or C) it'd already been licensed/wiped
off the fansub boards, and would have been long forgotten about by the
year or so it took to come out.

And if I also seem to keep harping on Funi teasing us with badly-dubbed
Sgt Frog this past month (and then not telling us what they're going to
do with it) it's because I was digging up old re-released Ranma 1/2
disks the other day^1 , and found we just don't have any early-90's Good
Ol' Days club experiences anymore like:
- The time we kept thinking "They'll never release UY", and then one
day, out of the blue, seeing a flyer that that cheap little BGC/VPM
garage company that was the only commercial subber we had was suddenly
going to take on the entire Holy Grail of 80's Anime,
or
- The time we showed that very first dubbed Viz Ranma OAV VHS, seeing
the episode fadein, suspensefully waiting for one of the characters to
open their mouths, and then shouting "Yes!--THAT'S what Shampoo sounds
like in English!""Nah, no way!", etc...

...When was the last time we fans had the chance to be so intimately
connected with a raw/fansub that a commercial release was an expected
*event*, and we could judge one good character-dubbed voice from
another, like armchair-quarterback sports fans?

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net
-----
(* - Yes, Netflix finally bought the re-released S5-7 boxsets, and
cleaned out those last S7 single-volume disks that'd been MIA since they
were released...Now I can actually SEE the middle half of S7, for the
first time in three years.)

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 12, 2008, 4:50:08 PM12/12/08
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 4:21pm-0500, Dave Baranyi <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_...:

> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> > Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being
> > at least a little more lively...
> >

> Hi Arnold - I've been having news server problems recently so I've been
> posting less. Now I am trying out this news server based upon Rob Kelk's
> recommendation.
>
> As far as the general reduction of posts over the past few years goes, I've
> got to believe that a good part is due to the increased availability of
> anime. It's no longer like the "old days" when there were few series
> available to the North American market and therefore most everyone watched
> those that were, and could comment upon them. Nowadays there is enough
> selection locally, and even more on the web, so there are no shows that
> "everyone" watches because we can all pick and choose what we like.

Well, that too....

> So the old "obligation" to watch a series that you might not really like is
> no longer there, because you can drop it and find something else that you do
> like. Thus the pool of fans who have seen any given series has thinned out.
> This means that the amount of discussion has gone down because there are
> fewer people to comment upon a post on a given series. I don't comment upon

Well, not exactly.
It just means you now have to look for the different sites
with fellow fans with whom you could have discussions.
If you want to discuss fansubs, you go to fansub forums;
DVDs - DVD forums; currently airing on NA TV - TV forums, etc.
Many popular sites have multiple forums.

Like I mentioned in another post, the discussions got fragmented
- but the discussions are still there.
Even with the lower percentage of fans watching the same shows,
due to the great expansion of fandom, in absolute numbers,
there's still a lot of people watching any given show.
Just that there's no longer a centralized site like usenet once was.

> series that I'm not following, and I suspect that most people are following
> the same ground rule. This means fewer flame wars, and also fewer posts.

I actually comment on some of the same shows you watch, Dave.
Just not here.
In sites I know would generate more and varied conversations. ;-)

> Also, I'm not trying any longer to quasi-blog here at r.a.a.m. the series
> that I am following. There are enough bloggers out there blogging almost
> every new series so that there is really no need for anyone to put weekly
> series updates here on r.a.a.m., as there might have been in the past.

But not everyone visits every one of those sites.
So might as well keep doing it. ^_^

Laters. =)

STan

Bill Martin

Dec 12, 2008, 5:31:47 PM12/12/08

It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the ri-i-i-i-ight...

Abraham Evangelista

Dec 12, 2008, 6:18:33 PM12/12/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 08:04:44 -0500, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

>"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:04:15 -0500, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:
>>

>>>"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>>Klan.
>>
>> Loli or Boin? :-)
>
>Yes.

You make a compelling argument. Note to self: invent macronization
systems.
--
Abraham Evangelista

sanjian

Dec 12, 2008, 6:57:11 PM12/12/08
"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Exactly. Just having one would be half a Klan. She is both.

Derek Janssen

Dec 12, 2008, 7:06:08 PM12/12/08

And no relation to Aisha, but....oh, I could never tell the two
characters apart, either. ;)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Arnold Kim

Dec 12, 2008, 9:36:07 PM12/12/08

"Dave Baranyi" <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote in message

> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> Or did I just come back at a "down" time? Seem to remember things being
>> at least a little more lively...
>>
>> Arnold Kim
>>

> Hi Arnold - I've been having news server problems recently so I've been
> posting less. Now I am trying out this news server based upon Rob Kelk's
> recommendation.
>
> As far as the general reduction of posts over the past few years goes,
> I've got to believe that a good part is due to the increased availability
> of anime. It's no longer like the "old days" when there were few series
> available to the North American market and therefore most everyone watched
> those that were, and could comment upon them. Nowadays there is enough
> selection locally, and even more on the web, so there are no shows that
> "everyone" watches because we can all pick and choose what we like.
>
> So the old "obligation" to watch a series that you might not really like
> is no longer there, because you can drop it and find something else that
> you do like. Thus the pool of fans who have seen any given series has
> thinned out. This means that the amount of discussion has gone down
> because there are fewer people to comment upon a post on a given series. I
> don't comment upon series that I'm not following, and I suspect that most
> people are following the same ground rule. This means fewer flame wars,
> and also fewer posts.

I do see that- except for maybe Naruto there doesn't seem to be that one
series that everyone has at least given a shot.

Whereas 10 years ago we might have had: Tenchi Muyo, Evangelion, Sailor
Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, Ranma 1/2... I'm pretty sure that 90% of
anime fans in the mid/late 90s watched at least a -little- of all of those.

Right now, I've only just gotten back into the game, but I'm only really
into three series now: Macross Frontier, Slayers, and now Gunslinger Girl.
And they're really good shows, IMO, with their own following, but they're
not surrounded by the "you have to watch it" feel of the shows listed above.
I mean, one of my good friends who's also an anime fan- really into
Fullmetal Alchemist and Hellsing- has never even HEARD of Macross (or
Robotech, for that matter). Never thought I'd see that day come.

But I think that explains why a particular topic or thread isn't as big as
it once was, not why the newsgroup is less popular in general. As others
have pointed out, I think it probably does have something to do with usenet
in general being less and less a part of the internet.

Arnold Kim

Arnold Kim

Dec 12, 2008, 9:41:08 PM12/12/08

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

And each appealing in their own way.

I don't know why, but ever since watching Do You Remember Love again, I seem
to have developed a thing for female Zentradi (Meltrandi? Or was that just
for DYRL?).

Come to think of it, that 50 ft woman in the "Monsters Vs. Aliens" movie
trailer looks kinda hot too...

Arnold Kim

Arnold Kim

Dec 12, 2008, 9:46:41 PM12/12/08

"Doug Jacobs" <dja...@rawbw.com> wrote in message

I know; look at the Comics and Animation section in Yahoo! Answers, for
instance, must be about 75% anime or manga. With that kind of popularity I
expected more activity here, but then I remembered that the posters on Y!A
are more likely to be teenagers who've never even heard of a newsgroup.

Arnold Kim

Derek Janssen

Dec 12, 2008, 9:53:41 PM12/12/08
Arnold Kim wrote:

That's the thing--Have you ever READ the responses on Y!A, or even a
YouTube clip? Scary, huh? 0_0'''

We Usenet geezers (at least those not still stuck in the "anarchic"
troll-90's that have long since passed them by) have grown up with ten
yers of Usenet, and are now refined both in their savvy and the Art of
Depersonalized Internet Discussion...
While the Kids lol their t3xtSp33K, we actually have whole paragraphs to
disseminate a question, and/or slip in the usual group-idiom wisecrack.

The purpose of defined groups back in the day was to create a "Think
tank" of niche discussion, and in the successful examples, they appear
to have succeeded.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Arnold Kim

Dec 12, 2008, 10:18:39 PM12/12/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Arnold Kim wrote:
>
>> "Doug Jacobs" <dja...@rawbw.com> wrote in message

>>>Well, more specifically, it was trendy with college-aged nerds who were
>>>also computer savvy circa the 80s and 90s. Anime is still trendy - but
>>>a much younger crowd. A crowd not familiar with usenet.
>>

>> I know; look at the Comics and Animation section in Yahoo! Answers, for
>> instance, must be about 75% anime or manga. With that kind of popularity
>> I expected more activity here, but then I remembered that the posters on
>> Y!A are more likely to be teenagers who've never even heard of a
>> newsgroup.
>
> That's the thing--Have you ever READ the responses on Y!A, or even a
> YouTube clip? Scary, huh? 0_0'''
>
> We Usenet geezers (at least those not still stuck in the "anarchic"
> troll-90's that have long since passed them by) have grown up with ten
> yers of Usenet, and are now refined both in their savvy and the Art of
> Depersonalized Internet Discussion...
> While the Kids lol their t3xtSp33K, we actually have whole paragraphs to
> disseminate a question, and/or slip in the usual group-idiom wisecrack.

Yeah, its' not even a lack of punctuation or spelling errors anymore, it's
devolved into some kind of bizarre code that can only be deciphered by a 13
year old texting on a mobile phone.

Arnold Kim

Justin

Dec 12, 2008, 10:25:32 PM12/12/08

Never did see any Ranma.

The Relic

Dec 13, 2008, 1:33:12 AM12/13/08

I can certainly understand that. The only reason I can usually decipher
l33tspeak is because, between the gaming NGs, Kotaku and my nieces and
nephews, it has sorta permeated my Relic-ky brain ^_^.

Some of that stuff to me makes even Verity sound fun by comparison o_<
(Yeah, gotta watch those emoticons, lest that Russian guy tries to
charge me for their usage o_O).

AstroNerdBoy

Dec 13, 2008, 11:08:45 AM12/13/08
On Dec 12, 7:46 pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:
> "Doug Jacobs" <djac...@rawbw.com> wrote in message

Well, there are a massive number of anime forums and even non-anime
forums that have an anime section. There's really no reason to go to
Usenet and with more and more ISP's not carrying Usenet any more
(instead, directing you to some service where for another fee, you can
get Usenet), it doesn't matter.

I've had to use Google for years just to even check out Usenet and
RAAM is the only one I even look at any more.

Also, there are anime blogs where people can post their thoughts,
reviews, or whatever. Long-running anime blogs or anime blogs where
the owner has a lot of friends into anime too (usually high school or
college kid's blogs) will also generate a lot of conversation via the
comment section with each post.

Oh well. In 10-years, things will be shifting even more I suspect.

-ANB

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime & Manga Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

AstroNerdBoy

Dec 13, 2008, 11:11:51 AM12/13/08

Rap will die too because it is only a fad. I know this will happen
because I've been hearing it will happen ever since the early 80's.

As for American-made cars, most cars in America are "American-made."
Maybe you haven't heard about all the car-making plants down south.
They may be foreign-owned car companies, but the cars are made in
America. ^_~

-ANB

bobbie sellers

Dec 13, 2008, 1:12:28 PM12/13/08
AstroNerdBoy wrote:

>>> I would like to add one thing to this list: �anime was trendy for a
>>> while, and trends fade away.
>>>
>> _BUYING_ anime was the trend.
>>
>> Anime itself would only be considered a trend if you actually believe
>> that anime would survive as a niche market again (in either here or
>> Japan).
>>
>> Anime will go the way of the American-made car -- blammo.
>>
>> Mike

Anime will regain market share when the market gets going
in a positive direction again. Better anime might help too though
some of the offerings are interesting as expressions of Japanese
culture.

> Rap will die too because it is only a fad. I know this will happen
> because I've been hearing it will happen ever since the early 80's.
>
> As for American-made cars, most cars in America are "American-made."
> Maybe you haven't heard about all the car-making plants down south.
> They may be foreign-owned car companies, but the cars are made in
> America. ^_~
>
> -ANB

An American made car is or should be made from steel and
other materials produced on the North American continent
not just from parts made all over the world and assembled at
auto assembly plants in the USA, IMO. We need workers
who can produce steel, build frames, motors and do all the
rest inside the USA in an industry which can support their
craftsmanship for equitable wages and benefits for many
reasons including national security.

As for anime if Genshiken 2 is out next month the charge card will be out of my pocket.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at sfo dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Gerardo Campos

Dec 13, 2008, 6:16:06 PM12/13/08

Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as it
has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are supported by
US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by Mexican
announcers.

Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the product
will stop being produced.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

sanjian

Dec 13, 2008, 7:27:44 PM12/13/08

My Toyota Tacoma is made in Altamont, People's Republic of Califonia.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 13, 2008, 8:26:05 PM12/13/08
Gerardo Campos wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wrote on Fri 12 Dec 2008 02:41:19p:

>>> I would like to add one thing to this list: anime was trendy for a
>>> while, and trends fade away.
>> _BUYING_ anime was the trend.
>>
>> Anime itself would only be considered a trend if you actually believe
>> that anime would survive as a niche market again (in either here or
>> Japan).
>>
>> Anime will go the way of the American-made car -- blammo.

So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?

(You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)

> Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as it
> has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are supported by
> US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by Mexican
> announcers.

Indeed.

> Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the product
> will stop being produced.

Nor that another method of marketing it won't be found.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Rob Kelk

Dec 13, 2008, 8:50:32 PM12/13/08
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:26:05 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>Gerardo Campos wrote:

<snip>

>> Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as it
>> has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are supported by
>> US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by Mexican
>> announcers.
>
> Indeed.
>

>> Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the product
>> will stop being produced.
>>

> Nor that another method of marketing it won't be found.

"Pizza Hut sponsors the revolution." Product placement taken to
extremes is the wave of the future in North American live-action shows;
I'd be very surprised if (more) anime didn't use the same concept.

And there's always the goods market. Pencilboards never caught on in
North America (drat), but I suspect almost everybody here has seen
character figures, or tie-in console videogames, or translated manga
connected to various popular anime...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"
- Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga, talking about the Ruldolph story,
"Azumanga Daioh" episode #17

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 5:59:59 PM12/14/08
On Dec 13, 3:16 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:

> Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as it
> has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are supported by
> US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by Mexican
> announcers.
>
> Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the product
> will stop being produced.

That's the problem: There are many studios for which that WILL
terminate the product.

One of the saddest facts about the fansub-led bubble is that studios
have had to go hat-in-hand to American companies for the money to be
able to sustain themselves and their projects (that certain one --
and, in many cases, others) until the projects come to fruition enough
(usually read: merchandising, if possible at all) to make enough money
to keep the process going.

Shin-Chan wasn't enough to keep their studio afloat as anything but a
TV network's subsidiary.

Gonzo went insolvent and had to be taken over by a capital company.

One of the major fallacies (by a lot of people) is that this is going
to go the same way that the American TV stuff has (price points,
advertising, etc., etc., etc.).

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 6:05:23 PM12/14/08
On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>         So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?
>
>         (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
> again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)

Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?

The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.

The Big 3 are all dead when their former output of 15M cars a year is
double (then triple, then...) what is actually being sold because no
one has the credit to buy them.

The only people who would make cars in America (and in a lot shorter
order than you think) will be the VERY FEW foreign manufacturers to
survive this -- and that assumes any do at all.

> > Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as it
> > has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are supported by
> > US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by Mexican
> > announcers.
>
>         Indeed.

Fool.

Baka.

Not only do you not take into account that advertising not being
enough to sustain the industry as it stands now, but how many of those
advertisers are also going to survive this economy?

Foolish one.

> > Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the product
> > will stop being produced.
>
>         Nor that another method of marketing it won't be found.

And here, you miss another key point: ANY METHOD OF MARKETING IT MUST
REQUIRE THE ENFORCEMENT OF A SUFFICIENT PRICE POINT TO SUSTAIN THE
MARKET.

Without hammering the thieves and their providers, no marketing method
will work. None.

Got it?

Mike (Of course you don't...)

Derek Janssen

Dec 14, 2008, 6:20:46 PM12/14/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>

>> So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?
>>
>> (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
>>again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)
>

> Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?
>
> The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.

(Replaced by the Desperate Red-Herring culture?)

Derek Janssen (annnd, once again, Darky turns every thread to His
Favorite Subject...And we don't mean anime)
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 14, 2008, 7:24:30 PM12/14/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?
>>
>> (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
>> again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)
>
> Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?
>
> The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.

You make me laugh. No, really, you do.

There's no reason for that to happen. Even if NATURAL oil runs out.

You see, gasoline isn't ACTUALLY a power source. It's an energy
CARRIER. What we need isn't oil, per se, but energy. It so happens that
we have an awful lot of infrastructure focused on using energy from that
type of chemicals.

So we will MAKE them. It's really not that hard to do. Possibly we'll
synthesize something else as an energy carrier, but gasoline and diesel
are actually pretty hard to beat for the combination of energy density
and feasibility.

Once the energy crunch REALLY starts, people will suck it up and build
nuclear reactors like they should have. Breeder reactors, probably,
which make more fuel as they run. And THAT, along with possibly orbital
solar, tidal, and deep geothermal, will produce the gasoline, etc., as a
carrier. Because pure electrical systems actually have major issues and
would require rebuilding the entire infrastructure to accommodate them,
while just manufacturing more gasoline (which would then be
carbon-neutral -- suck carbon out of the air, make gasoline, burn
gasoline, returning carbon to air) maintains the entire infrastructure
and so on.

But you won't understand any of THAT, either. Because the idea of the
Collapse of Civilization really excites you, and the thought that in
fact civilization will simply find a way to survive goes against all of
your grim and dirty little beliefs.

Gerardo Campos

Dec 14, 2008, 7:36:52 PM12/14/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 04:59:59p:

> On Dec 13, 3:16 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Anime will continue to be produced and sponsored by Japanese ads, as
>> it has been for at least 40 years, the same way US sitcoms are
>> supported by US announcers, and Mexican telenovelas are supported by
>> Mexican announcers.
>>
>> Just because the US DVD market is not a success means that the
>> product will stop being produced.
>
> That's the problem: There are many studios for which that WILL
> terminate the product.

Well, some studios will have to dissapear, new will appear and some will
stay.

> One of the saddest facts about the fansub-led bubble is that studios
> have had to go hat-in-hand to American companies for the money to be
> able to sustain themselves and their projects (that certain one --
> and, in many cases, others) until the projects come to fruition enough
> (usually read: merchandising, if possible at all) to make enough money
> to keep the process going.

Japanese studios do not depend of US companies to produce shows and there
is no need to sub their own products, also their main input of revenue
comes from the sales of advertisment and probably from paraphernalia or
collectibles stuff sold in Japan.

> Shin-Chan wasn't enough to keep their studio afloat as anything but a
> TV network's subsidiary.
>
> Gonzo went insolvent and had to be taken over by a capital company.

Daria and Beavis & Butthead were not enough to keep MTV interested in
maintaining an animation studio, nor Anastasia let Fox to keep its own
animation studio, but that did not kill other studios, like Disney or WB
to continue producing shows.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 8:20:33 PM12/14/08
On Dec 14, 4:36 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 04:59:59p:

> > That's the problem:  There are many studios for which that WILL
> > terminate the product.
>
> Well, some studios will have to dissapear, new will appear and some will
> stay.

Any studio now reliant on US money to keep the process going will
disappear. I can't see many new studios appearing -- consider the
cost!!! The only studios which will stay for any real length of time
are going to be subsidiaries of TV networks, and, once _that_ gets too
expensive, bye bye anime for good.

> > One of the saddest facts about the fansub-led bubble is that studios
> > have had to go hat-in-hand to American companies for the money to be
> > able to sustain themselves and their projects (that certain one --
> > and, in many cases, others) until the projects come to fruition enough
> > (usually read: merchandising, if possible at all) to make enough money
> > to keep the process going.
>
> Japanese studios do not depend of US companies to produce shows and there
> is no need to sub their own products, also their main input of revenue
> comes from the sales of advertisment and probably from paraphernalia or
> collectibles stuff sold in Japan.

Umm, no. More than a few shows have.

Kaleido Star was one example. And, according to Vic Mignonga, Full
Metal Panic was another. Try again.

> > Shin-Chan wasn't enough to keep their studio afloat as anything but a
> > TV network's subsidiary.
>
> > Gonzo went insolvent and had to be taken over by a capital company.
>
> Daria and Beavis & Butthead were not enough to keep MTV interested in
> maintaining an animation studio, nor Anastasia let Fox to keep its own
> animation studio, but that did not kill other studios, like Disney or WB
> to continue producing shows.

There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
creation). You seem to think that this is going to go by the American
model, and that's the same fallacy I laugh at when people try to
compare price points of American and anime series on DVD. It doesn't
work.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 8:22:32 PM12/14/08
On Dec 14, 3:20 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>        So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?
>
> >>        (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
> >>again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)
>
> > Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?
>
> > The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.
>
> (Replaced by the Desperate Red-Herring culture?)

Sea Wasp wondered if I was so stupid as to think no one will ever make
cars in America again.

For the purposes of the intent of his question, yes, I would be "so
stupid".

The only people who will make cars are those of foreign manufacturers.

> Derek Janssen (annnd, once again, Darky turns every thread to His
> Favorite Subject...And we don't mean anime)

Hey, I only brought it up as an example -- Sea Wasp wanted to
challenge me on it. You don't like it, go spit at 2chan or 4chan or
something.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2008, 8:34:27 PM12/14/08
On Dec 14, 4:24 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>         So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a major industry?
>
> >>         (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make cars in America
> >> again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)
>
> > Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?
>
> > The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.
>
>         You make me laugh. No, really, you do.

Do you read about anything other than anime, Sea Wasp?

I do. Clusterfuck Nation, The Automatic Earth, SurvivalBlog...

You really sound like another of those "It can't happen here! I swear
it!!" types. Types of people I spit at.

>         There's no reason for that to happen. Even if NATURAL oil runs out.

Oh come on... I'd laugh at you, but you are so wrong that it's NOT
funny.

>         You see, gasoline isn't ACTUALLY a power source. It's an energy
> CARRIER. What we need isn't oil, per se, but energy. It so happens that
> we have an awful lot of infrastructure focused on using energy from that
> type of chemicals.

Right. Except for one teensy problem.

But since you won't listen to me: Go find "Who Killed the Electric
Car". There is a great business in keeping the addiction to oil
afloat. Your statement here would be correct if but only if the
CHOICE was not made to abandon most other types of car-used energies
in great scale.

>         So we will MAKE them.

With what funds?

Who's going to buy them when there's no credit?

That's why one of the Big 3 is dead within days, if not a few weeks.

Where are you going to get a continued demand of 15 million cars a
year, Sea Wasp? Word is, even NEXT YEAR, the amount of cars sold
might not even be HALF that.

> It's really not that hard to do.

Yes it is. Of course, you believe that major anime companies can
operate with no real sense of positive monetary flow either, so I
guess that's not a particularly surprising view to take.

> Possibly we'll synthesize something else as an energy carrier, but gasoline and diesel
> are actually pretty hard to beat for the combination of energy density
> and feasibility.

And when they go away, we'll be so far behind the curve (because we,
as a culture, CHOSE TO BE!) that the car-based culture will not
survive.

>         Once the energy crunch REALLY starts, people will suck it up and build
> nuclear reactors like they should have. Breeder reactors, probably,

Too late. Again, as with ADV: WITH WHAT MONEY?

> which make more fuel as they run. And THAT, along with possibly orbital
> solar, tidal, and deep geothermal, will produce the gasoline, etc., as a
> carrier. Because pure electrical systems actually have major issues and
> would require rebuilding the entire infrastructure to accommodate them,

Again, WITH WHAT MONEY??

Where are you going to get the monetary resources to deal with the
manpower required??

The resources (natural and otherwise) to build the infrastructures???

> while just manufacturing more gasoline (which would then be
> carbon-neutral -- suck carbon out of the air, make gasoline, burn
> gasoline, returning carbon to air) maintains the entire infrastructure
> and so on.

Exactly -- which is why this process should've been started years ago
-- decades, even. But, again, if you try to start it now, where do
you get the resources to pull it off?

>         But you won't understand any of THAT, either. Because the idea of the
> Collapse of Civilization really excites you, and the thought that in
> fact civilization will simply find a way to survive goes against all of
> your grim and dirty little beliefs.

You operate in this fantasyland of that people would not work for the
destruction of said civilization, all in the name of "Ugg strongest in
tribe. Ugg rule."

Mike (Which is a lot closer than you think...)

sanjian

Dec 14, 2008, 9:15:12 PM12/14/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Dec 13, 5:26 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
>> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, you're saying after a brief interruption, it'll be a
>>> major industry? (You're not so stupid as to think no one will ever make
>>> cars in America again, are you? Oh, wait, of COURSE you are.)
>>
>> Ever heard of something called Peak Oil?
>>
>> The car-led culture in this country is ending, Sea Wasp.
>
> You make me laugh. No, really, you do.
>
> There's no reason for that to happen. Even if NATURAL oil runs out.
>
> You see, gasoline isn't ACTUALLY a power source. It's an energy
> CARRIER. What we need isn't oil, per se, but energy. It so happens
> that we have an awful lot of infrastructure focused on using energy
> from that type of chemicals.
>
> So we will MAKE them. It's really not that hard to do. Possibly we'll
> synthesize something else as an energy carrier, but gasoline and
> diesel are actually pretty hard to beat for the combination of energy
> density and feasibility.

Look into thermal depolymerization. Very promising. But, not as promising
as...

> Once the energy crunch REALLY starts, people will suck it up and build
> nuclear reactors like they should have. Breeder reactors, probably,

This is where we really need to be. More reactors. More reprocessing.
Keep it safe. A PWR has never melted down.

Captain Nerd

Dec 14, 2008, 10:30:02 PM12/14/08
In article
<34ed936d-8c6c-43a0...@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Dec 14, 4:36 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Japanese studios do not depend of US companies to produce shows and there
> > is no need to sub their own products, also their main input of revenue
> > comes from the sales of advertisment and probably from paraphernalia or
> > collectibles stuff sold in Japan.
>
> Umm, no. More than a few shows have.

Out of how many?

> Kaleido Star was one example. And, according to Vic Mignonga, Full
> Metal Panic was another. Try again.

Two out of how many thousand series aired in Japan since FMP? You
try again.

> There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
> on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
> creation).

Which is absolutely impossible to do in Japan, in your parallel
universe. Which is why there were only 40 or so new shows this
season airing in Japan.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!
Operation: Nerdwatch http://www.nerdwatch.com
Only email with "TO_CAP" somewhere in the subject has a chance of being read

Gerardo Campos

Dec 14, 2008, 10:33:46 PM12/14/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 07:20:33p:

> On Dec 14, 4:36 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 04:59:59p:
>
>> > That's the problem:  There are many studios for which that WILL
>> > terminate the product.
>>
>> Well, some studios will have to dissapear, new will appear and some
>> will stay.
>
> Any studio now reliant on US money to keep the process going will
> disappear. I can't see many new studios appearing -- consider the
> cost!!! The only studios which will stay for any real length of time
> are going to be subsidiaries of TV networks, and, once _that_ gets too
> expensive, bye bye anime for good.

If it get's expensive it may be turned into a low quality or substandard
product, but, it will be there.

>> > One of the saddest facts about the fansub-led bubble is that
>> > studios have had to go hat-in-hand to American companies for the
>> > money to be able to sustain themselves and their projects (that
>> > certain one -- and, in many cases, others) until the projects come
>> > to fruition enough (usually read: merchandising, if possible at
>> > all) to make enough money to keep the process going.
>>
>> Japanese studios do not depend of US companies to produce shows and
>> there is no need to sub their own products, also their main input of
>> revenue comes from the sales of advertisment and probably from
>> paraphernalia or collectibles stuff sold in Japan.
>
> Umm, no. More than a few shows have.

More than a few is not the same as all the shows.

> Kaleido Star was one example. And, according to Vic Mignonga, Full
> Metal Panic was another. Try again.
>
>> > Shin-Chan wasn't enough to keep their studio afloat as anything but
>> > a TV network's subsidiary.
>>
>> > Gonzo went insolvent and had to be taken over by a capital company.
>>
>> Daria and Beavis & Butthead were not enough to keep MTV interested in
>> maintaining an animation studio, nor Anastasia let Fox to keep its
>> own animation studio, but that did not kill other studios, like
>> Disney or WB to continue producing shows.
>
> There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
> on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
> creation). You seem to think that this is going to go by the American
> model, and that's the same fallacy I laugh at when people try to
> compare price points of American and anime series on DVD. It doesn't
> work.

Even if the business model is different it has been there for over 40
years, entertainment will continue and a recession will not stop
producing anime, the weird contest shows or soap operas since the
infrastructure is already there. It did not stop it in the 90s when the
Japanese miracle bubble bursted, and bursted so hard that they are still
recovering.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2008, 3:58:20 AM12/15/08
On Dec 14, 7:33 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 07:20:33p:

> > Any studio now reliant on US money to keep the process going will
> > disappear.  I can't see many new studios appearing -- consider the
> > cost!!!  The only studios which will stay for any real length of time
> > are going to be subsidiaries of TV networks, and, once _that_ gets too
> > expensive, bye bye anime for good.
>
> If it get's expensive it may be turned into a low quality or substandard
> product, but, it will be there.

Unless you're also (with Sea Wasp) proposing doujinshi-level anime as
the future of the genre, I don't see who's going to watch substandard
product.

> > Umm, no.  More than a few shows have.
>
> More than a few is not the same as all the shows.

But enough that it's a reality of how anime has gotten this far.

> > There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
> > on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
> > creation).  You seem to think that this is going to go by the American
> > model, and that's the same fallacy I laugh at when people try to
> > compare price points of American and anime series on DVD.  It doesn't
> > work.
>
> Even if the business model is different it has been there for over 40
> years, entertainment will continue and a recession will not stop
> producing anime, the weird contest shows or soap operas since the
> infrastructure is already there. It did not stop it in the 90s when the
> Japanese miracle bubble bursted, and bursted so hard that they are still
> recovering.

"It can't happen here ..."

"It can't happen here ..."

"It can't happen here ..."

Just keep believing that...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2008, 4:02:44 AM12/15/08
On Dec 14, 7:30 pm, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> In article
> <34ed936d-8c6c-43a0-9701-0f9d57760...@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Kaleido Star was one example.  And, according to Vic Mignonga, Full
> > Metal Panic was another.  Try again.
>
>    Two out of how many thousand series aired in Japan since FMP?  You
>    try again.

Then you are saying the industry is committing fraud. At least admit
it.

It'd be the same type of "justification" for cheating at MMO's because
"we don't like the drop rates"...

You know what?

Fuck -- you.

Fuck your entitlement attitude.

And fuck what you've done to anime.

> > There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
> > on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
> > creation).
>
>    Which is absolutely impossible to do in Japan, in your parallel
>    universe.  Which is why there were only 40 or so new shows this
>    season airing in Japan.

The only reason there are that many shows is that anime studios are
being bought up as capital sinks, television subsidiaries, etc. The
only reason I said _5_ years (now a little more than 4) before zero
more anime would be made is this kind of clutching to the fact of
anime as one of Japan's main art forms, even though it's becoming more
and more clear they can't afford to continue it.

Mike

Captain Nerd

Dec 15, 2008, 7:24:33 AM12/15/08
In article
<acffd89b-c63e-4704...@d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Dec 14, 7:30 pm, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <34ed936d-8c6c-43a0-9701-0f9d57760...@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > Kaleido Star was one example.  And, according to Vic Mignonga, Full
> > > Metal Panic was another.  Try again.
> >
> >    Two out of how many thousand series aired in Japan since FMP?  You
> >    try again.
>
> Then you are saying the industry is committing fraud. At least admit
> it.

No. You make the claim, you back it up. You claim that the only
thing keeping anime on the air in Japan is US anime companies'
money. You claim this because two shows out of several thousand
have done so. You can't or won't say how the other anime that
doesn't get made with US anime companies' money gets made and
shown in Japan.

> It'd be the same type of "justification" for cheating at MMO's because
> "we don't like the drop rates"...

Non sequitur. I made no claim of justification nor cheating,
you are the one claiming all these Japanese companies are
committing fraud.

> And fuck what you've done to anime.

You know what? Same back to you. You're the one actively trying
to shut down US anime companies for "committing fraud" and for
not licensing the anime that you want to watch. You're the one
trying to get rid of fans who don't believe you, who disagree
with you, and who still actively support "the industry" you
deride by buying the anime that you don't want to watch. Since
I've been back to work, I've bought three *special edition*
volumes of Lucky Star, the *special edition* of "The Girl Who
Leapt Through Time", and the season 2 School Rumble part 1 box.

And you say "fuck you and what you've done to anime" for this.
Well, since you're actively trying to shut down the companies
that provided this anime for me and others, I say "fuck you
for what you're doing to anime".

> > > There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their product
> > > on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
> > > creation).
> >
> >    Which is absolutely impossible to do in Japan, in your parallel
> >    universe.  Which is why there were only 40 or so new shows this
> >    season airing in Japan.
>
> The only reason there are that many shows is that anime studios are
> being bought up as capital sinks, television subsidiaries, etc. The

So, which is it, are they committing fraud, are they only in
business because of US anime companies, or what?

> only reason I said _5_ years (now a little more than 4) before zero
> more anime would be made is this kind of clutching to the fact of
> anime as one of Japan's main art forms, even though it's becoming more
> and more clear they can't afford to continue it.

And this is where your delusions turn into lies. You are lying
when you make claims like "they can't afford to continue it"
when they self-evidently are continuing. You lied when you said
that they'd be out of business in 6 months, you lied when you
said they'd be out of business in 1 year, you lied when you said
they'd be out of business in 18 months, and you're lying when you
say they'll be out of business in 5 years. You're lying because
you have an agenda, and that is to try to drive anime fans away
from buying any anime at all, but you're so incompetent that
all you are doing is making yourself look like an idiot. I've
encountered this mentality before, and that was coming from
dedicated Scientologists, who seriously believed that their
thoughts and words could reshape space and time into their own
reality. You constantly try to do the same thing, with your
incessant rantings, but no matter how much you froth and rail
against it, reality is constantly defying you. That you can't
see how useless you are proves that you're either insane, or
you've had Scientology training at some point. Which ends up
being the same thing.

Blade

Dec 15, 2008, 8:58:32 AM12/15/08
See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot ramblings, and
all the people starting to respond to him like clockwork?

Be grateful the newsgroup is slow these days, because when it's not, it's
because that's 90% of the traffic on it.

As others have noted, the other problems include lack of people with access
to/knowledge of USENET these days.

-
Blade
(Some more actual anime discussion wouldn't hurt, but let he without sin and
all that.)

sanjian

Dec 15, 2008, 11:11:31 AM12/15/08
Blade wrote:
> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot
> ramblings, and all the people starting to respond to him like
> clockwork?

Oh for the days when people knew not to feed the trolls, eh? It seems like
r.a.a.m.'s gone senile, these days...

> Be grateful the newsgroup is slow these days, because when it's not,
> it's because that's 90% of the traffic on it.
>
> As others have noted, the other problems include lack of people with
> access to/knowledge of USENET these days.
>
> -
> Blade
> (Some more actual anime discussion wouldn't hurt, but let he without
> sin and all that.)

Bring back GRIT!

makku

Dec 15, 2008, 1:47:49 PM12/15/08
On Dec 15, 7:58 am, "Blade" <kumonr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot ramblings, and
> all the people starting to respond to him like clockwork?

Who's dancing now?

Arnold Kim

Dec 15, 2008, 7:18:16 PM12/15/08

"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot ramblings,
> and all the people starting to respond to him like clockwork?

If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm going to go back four days and
knock myself out before starting this thread.

Arnold Kim

Nick

Dec 15, 2008, 8:53:25 PM12/15/08

If you had seen the 2002 version of 'The Time Machine', you would have
realized that would be an exercise in futility. :-)

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

"Natural laws have no pity." R.A.H.

Rob Kelk

Dec 15, 2008, 9:20:12 PM12/15/08

Relax, what's done is done. Just ignore the flamewar and go on to
something else.

In a blatant attempt to go on to something else / highjack the thread:
Possible teams for the New Year's Challenge!

Team "We're Not Related":
* Saotome Haruna (artist/mage-in-training, from Negima!)
* Saotome Michiru (jet pilot, from Getter Robo)
* Saotome Ranma (aquatranssexual martial-arts master, from Ranma 1/2)

Any more?

Gerardo Campos

Dec 15, 2008, 10:03:20 PM12/15/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote on Mon 15 Dec 2008 02:58:20a:

> On Dec 14, 7:33 pm, Gerardo Campos <macr...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:
>> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote on Sun 14 Dec 2008 07:20:33p:
>
>> > Any studio now reliant on US money to keep the process going will
>> > disappear.  I can't see many new studios appearing -- consider the
>> > cost!!!  The only studios which will stay for any real length of
>> > time are going to be subsidiaries of TV networks, and, once _that_
>> > gets too expensive, bye bye anime for good.
>>
>> If it get's expensive it may be turned into a low quality or
>> substandard product, but, it will be there.
>
> Unless you're also (with Sea Wasp) proposing doujinshi-level anime as
> the future of the genre, I don't see who's going to watch substandard
> product.

I am not proposing anything, and I am not with Sea Wasp, it is a fact in
economy, if the infrastructure exists but the resources to produce
something become scarce, one effect of lowering the costs to continue
producing is a lower quality of the product.

>> > Umm, no.  More than a few shows have.
>>
>> More than a few is not the same as all the shows.
>
> But enough that it's a reality of how anime has gotten this far.

You mention 3 or 4 shows that were produced in the span of how many
years? How many shows are actually produced every year? How many are your
few?, If the anime failed, how well did the manga did? there will be
shows that bomb, there will be shows that are a commercial success, as
there are periods of continued growth as periods of recession, but in the
end, all balances average to growth.

>> > There's a difference -- anime studios have to pay to get their
>> > product on the air in the first place (an additional expense to the
>> > creation).  You seem to think that this is going to go by the
>> > American
>> > model, and that's the same fallacy I laugh at when people try to
>> > compare price points of American and anime series on DVD.  It
>> > doesn't work.
>>
>> Even if the business model is different it has been there for over 40
>> years, entertainment will continue and a recession will not stop
>> producing anime, the weird contest shows or soap operas since the
>> infrastructure is already there. It did not stop it in the 90s when
>> the Japanese miracle bubble bursted, and bursted so hard that they
>> are still recovering.
>
> "It can't happen here ..."
>
> "It can't happen here ..."
>
> "It can't happen here ..."
>
> Just keep believing that...

Ok, It seems that you have exhausted your arguments, so from my end this
discussion has concluded.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Gerardo Campos

Dec 15, 2008, 10:13:20 PM12/15/08
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote on Mon 15 Dec 2008 08:20:12p:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:18:16 -0500, "Arnold Kim"
> <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot
>>> ramblings, and all the people starting to respond to him like
>>> clockwork?
>>
>>If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm going to go back four
>>days and knock myself out before starting this thread.
>>
>>Arnold Kim
>
> Relax, what's done is done. Just ignore the flamewar and go on to
> something else.
>
> In a blatant attempt to go on to something else / highjack the thread:
> Possible teams for the New Year's Challenge!
>
> Team "We're Not Related":
> * Saotome Haruna (artist/mage-in-training, from Negima!)
> * Saotome Michiru (jet pilot, from Getter Robo)
> * Saotome Ranma (aquatranssexual martial-arts master, from Ranma 1/2)

Their challenge is to resolve the clues to find a precious and rare stone
at São Tomé e Príncipe (Sao Tome and Principe)

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Derek Janssen

Dec 15, 2008, 11:25:41 PM12/15/08
Arnold Kim wrote:

Oh, don't kick the wrong person, Arn--
It *was* a real thread before the Stinky Guy grabbed it again.

Derek Janssen (just kick the people who can't recognize non-sequitirs,
and think it's really part of the thread)
eja...@verizon.net

sanjian

Dec 16, 2008, 6:45:48 AM12/16/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> Arnold Kim wrote:
>
>> "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot
>>> ramblings, and all the people starting to respond to him like
>>> clockwork?
>>

>> If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm going to go back four
>> days and knock myself out before starting this thread.
>
> Oh, don't kick the wrong person, Arn--
> It *was* a real thread before the Stinky Guy grabbed it again.

Mikey honing in on a thread is a given. It's his groupies who are the
problem.

Derek Janssen

Dec 16, 2008, 7:30:19 AM12/16/08
sanjian wrote:

>>>If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm going to go back four
>>>days and knock myself out before starting this thread.
>>
>>Oh, don't kick the wrong person, Arn--
>>It *was* a real thread before the Stinky Guy grabbed it again.
>

> Mikey honing in on a thread is a given. It's his groupies who are the
> problem.

So what do we do, tie and gag Sea Wasp?
We've tried interventions, and they work about as well as the "One last
drink" AA'er, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Derek Janssen (it's at the point now where we have given a NAME to our
pain...)
eja...@verizon.net

Chris Mattern

Dec 16, 2008, 8:31:43 AM12/16/08
On 2008-12-16, Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:18:16 -0500, "Arnold Kim"
><arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>>"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot ramblings,
>>> and all the people starting to respond to him like clockwork?
>>
>>If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm going to go back four days and
>>knock myself out before starting this thread.
>>
>>Arnold Kim
>
> Relax, what's done is done. Just ignore the flamewar and go on to
> something else.
>
> In a blatant attempt to go on to something else / highjack the thread:
> Possible teams for the New Year's Challenge!
>
> Team "We're Not Related":
> * Saotome Haruna (artist/mage-in-training, from Negima!)
> * Saotome Michiru (jet pilot, from Getter Robo)
> * Saotome Ranma (aquatranssexual martial-arts master, from Ranma 1/2)
>
> Any more?

Hell, yeah. How about Saotome Kazuya, roboteer extraordinaire, from Hand Maid
May? And Saotome Rei from Yu-Gi-Oh GX (she was called "Blair Flannigan" in the
dub).

--
Christopher Mattern

NOTICE
Thank you for noticing this new notice
Your noticing it has been noted
And will be reported to the authorities

Arnold Kim

Dec 16, 2008, 2:13:36 PM12/16/08

"Chris Mattern" <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote in message

And Saotome Alto, bishounen Valkyrie pilot/former Kabuki theater star from
Macross Frontier.

Arnold Kim

Rob Kelk

Dec 16, 2008, 6:01:20 PM12/16/08

Derek, you're as much to blame as Ryk is. Jumping in every time to tell
people not to jump in is not only feeding the netkook, it's
hypocritical.

C'mon, even *I've* gotten past the
feeding-the-netkook-by-telling-everyone-else-don't-feed-the-netkook
stage, and I'm usually the slow one on that uptake. What's your excuse?

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"Aggresive killfiling. I highly recommend it. It isn't personal;

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2008, 8:21:56 PM12/16/08
On Dec 15, 4:24 am, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> In article
> <acffd89b-c63e-4704-86a2-4cff21c71...@d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
>  darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Then you are saying the industry is committing fraud.  At least admit
> > it.
>
>    No. You make the claim, you back it up.  You claim that the only
>    thing keeping anime on the air in Japan is US anime companies'
>    money.  You claim this because two shows out of several thousand
>    have done so.  You can't or won't say how the other anime that
>    doesn't get made with US anime companies' money gets made and
>    shown in Japan.

I made the claim because people have told me (people in the damn
industry, as I have stated TIME AND AGAIN AND AGAIN) that this is
true.

Here's a _start_ for you, again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVWUMI9jMRQ

Right at the start of the clip. He says the same thing I just said --
and he said it to me, because _I asked him the damn question_! (At
the end of "Part 10".)

You either deny reality, or you state he's committing fraud. One or
the other. Back your ignorance up, Nerd...

> > It'd be the same type of "justification" for cheating at MMO's because
> > "we don't like the drop rates"...
>
>    Non sequitur.  I made no claim of justification nor cheating,
>    you are the one claiming all these Japanese companies are
>    committing fraud.

No, you do (but you don't realize that you do). It'd be the same type
of "justification" that people cheat at MMO's because they feel so
fucking entitled to whatever drop rate satisfies them that they don't
play by the rules and should be deleted from the game and the game's
fanbase.

Same principle here. If you can't see that, that's not MY problem.

> > And fuck what you've done to anime.
>
>    You know what?  Same back to you.  You're the one actively trying
>    to shut down US anime companies for "committing fraud" and for
>    not licensing the anime that you want to watch.

I've gotten to the point, first, that I know that all the current
anime companies are gone. They're done. The system they are using
has absolutely been rendered obsolete by the thieves and those who
provide platforms (esp. Crunchyroll, who will be all that is left in
America (and that's if they survive the end of fansubs on their site
in January), possibly other than Viz, in very short order.

You are right in one thing: The wave of the future -- and the ONLY
wave of the future -- is digital distro. At that, I'm done. I'm
out. Because the only reason that I would remain an anime aficionado
of any stripe goes away, because the dub artists become way too
expensive of a process to keep.

Second, the fansubbers and downloaders deny me the opportunity to get
titles I may well enjoy over here because they've so completely fucked
the economy vis-a-vis anime that the companies are going out of
business left and right, with only a very few left (and most of them I
don't care for because they won't put out anime I want).

Third and lastly, I do believe that there are (at the very least)
pockets of the anime industry who are openly committing fraud (now)
because of what fansubbers and downloaders have done to the economy of
anime. Again, I ask you: Where are these companies getting the money
to license anything anymore? So, if they aren't going to take the
legal action to put you fans who fansub and download out of the
industry, they have no business staying in business. Let's end the
facade, and make you fuckers reap what you've sown.

I don't do this for you guys... I do this so that people will see
that someone had an approximation of a clue.

> You're the one
>    trying to get rid of fans who don't believe you, who disagree
>    with you, and who still actively support "the industry" you
>    deride by buying the anime that you don't want to watch.

And they still download far more content, stealing more money from the
same industry, causing that same situation. Again, you seem to think
you're entitled to steal the damn anime because you buy it later.

No -- that means you now have TWO COPIES of it. Again. Unless you
want to tell me that you are not buying the anime itself when you _do_
purchase the DVD (that you are only purchasing the DVD, not really
different from purchasing a wallscroll or a plushie or whatever
merchandise), we're not moving from this point. The anime is not
cheap to make, and, if you have not gained the right to view it, why
are you viewing it?

I want the fansubbers and downloaders out. You damn right I do. I'd
rather take the chance that the industry could be screwed anyway than
know it will be because you feel you're entitled to every damn episode
of every damn anime the moment it gets played on Japanese television.

>  Since I've been back to work, I've bought three *special edition*
>    volumes of Lucky Star, the *special edition* of "The Girl Who
>    Leapt Through Time", and the season 2 School Rumble part 1 box.

And that makes you entitled to steal everything else?

And that excuses the order of magnitude (if not 2) more of anime that
is stolen off the Net??

I redouble my middle finger.

>    And you say "fuck you and what you've done to anime" for this.
>    Well, since you're actively trying to shut down the companies
>    that provided this anime for me and others, I say "fuck you
>    for what you're doing to anime".

And the horse you rode in on on top of it. You see, it's that
entitlement that makes you feel you can do whatever you fucking
want. You (as a fanbase - and personally, if you continue to
download in this environment) deny me anime I might want to buy
because the economy doesn't allow for it anymore.

Well, that (and the entitlement attitude which goes with it) gains my
highest contempt.

> > >    Which is absolutely impossible to do in Japan, in your parallel
> > >    universe.  Which is why there were only 40 or so new shows this
> > >    season airing in Japan.
>
> > The only reason there are that many shows is that anime studios are
> > being bought up as capital sinks, television subsidiaries, etc.  The
>
>    So, which is it, are they committing fraud, are they only in
>    business because of US anime companies, or what?

Both, essentially. The US companies are committing fraud, and the
reason the Japanese can continue (Hell, the reason the Japanese want
anything to do with American "fans"...) is because they have to get
American money to keep the process going.

> > only reason I said _5_ years (now a little more than 4) before zero
> > more anime would be made is this kind of clutching to the fact of
> > anime as one of Japan's main art forms, even though it's becoming more
> > and more clear they can't afford to continue it.
>
>    And this is where your delusions turn into lies.  You are lying
>    when you make claims like "they can't afford to continue it"
>    when they self-evidently are continuing.  You lied when you said
>    that they'd be out of business in 6 months, you lied when you
>    said they'd be out of business in 1 year, you lied when you said
>    they'd be out of business in 18 months, and you're lying when you
>    say they'll be out of business in 5 years.

He gave me a demand to tell him when there would be _no more anime
made_. He was very specific with that demand. And, to that, I said
five years.

And, as to the statement I made about the industry -- I gave it one
year, though I immediately said that I didn't believe it had the right
to that long.

If you continue to choose not to read for comprehension, I will see
you for the fool you are.

>  You're lying because
>    you have an agenda, and that is to try to drive anime fans away
>    from buying any anime at all,

You're an idiot.

You are an absolute motherfucking idiot.

In fact, had you chosen to read for comprehension and not put forward
YOUR agenda (of stealing the product, and justifying it by purchasing
some miniscule fraction of the anime you watch), you'd understand I
would say the _opposite_. You want to watch it? Buy it or see it in
an authorized venue. NO other alternative.

You goddamn good and right I have an agenda. I either want people to
buy the anime they consume, or I want it all over, since that's (anime
being over) what you guys are openly heading for, and what WILL
happen.

(And I think, bluntly, it's what some of you _want_ to happen. "If we
can't rob the companies blind, then end it.")

The economics stated provide zero alternative. You either have to
deny those economics (which would constitute across-the-board fraud --
an extent of which is being shown to be necessary now), or you have to
ask yourself how we could get this far with so many thieves in the
fanbase.

But to say that I actually _don't_ want you to buy anime is false. I
just don't want anyone seeing unauthorized anime anymore. Then we get
all the Shippuden Narutards out, all the fansub and download freaks,
and then we see what's left...

> but you're so incompetent that
>    all you are doing is making yourself look like an idiot.  I've
>    encountered this mentality before, and that was coming from
>    dedicated Scientologists, who seriously believed that their
>    thoughts and words could reshape space and time into their own
>    reality.  You constantly try to do the same thing, with your
>    incessant rantings, but no matter how much you froth and rail
>    against it, reality is constantly defying you.

The only reality defying me, Nerd, is the reality born through
consensus. The _facts_, which are quite separate from that reality
which you consent to, indicate otherwise.

I would think _YOU_ would openly want the companies gone -- but for a
different reason. Don't worry, you'll get your wish.

>  That you can't
>    see how useless you are proves that you're either insane, or
>    you've had Scientology training at some point.  Which ends up
>    being the same thing.

So what you going to do about it, since there's no way I'm changing my
correct view...

Mike

Captain Nerd

Dec 16, 2008, 8:21:57 PM12/16/08
In article <494832b...@news.individual.net>,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:30:19 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> >> Mikey honing in on a thread is a given. It's his groupies who are the
> >> problem.
> >
> >So what do we do, tie and gag Sea Wasp?
> >We've tried interventions, and they work about as well as the "One last
> >drink" AA'er, and for pretty much the same reasons.
> >
> >Derek Janssen (it's at the point now where we have given a NAME to our
> >pain...)
> >eja...@verizon.net
>
> Derek, you're as much to blame as Ryk is. Jumping in every time to tell
> people not to jump in is not only feeding the netkook, it's
> hypocritical.
>
> C'mon, even *I've* gotten past the
> feeding-the-netkook-by-telling-everyone-else-don't-feed-the-netkook
> stage, and I'm usually the slow one on that uptake. What's your excuse?

Not only that, for all his arrogance, idiocy, and otherwise
dysfunctional personality, Dorkster's posts are at least on-topic.
He's guaranteed to be wrong about anime fandom and "the industry"
but he does keep to the subject at hand.

Far more on-topic than the ranters who kvetch about people who
reply to Dorkster's posts.

Cap.
(... so, anyone else going to comment on the Toradora thread?...)

Captain Nerd

Dec 16, 2008, 8:30:21 PM12/16/08
In article
<32982199-26c9-4130...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> So what you going to do about it, since there's no way I'm changing my
> correct view...

Continue to mock you at every turn, as you spin yourself further
into ridiculousness.

Derek Janssen

Dec 16, 2008, 8:48:12 PM12/16/08
Captain Nerd--and yes, we're also looking at **YOU**, Cap--wrote:

>>>So what do we do, tie and gag Sea Wasp?
>>>We've tried interventions, and they work about as well as the "One last
>>>drink" AA'er, and for pretty much the same reasons.
>>>
>>>(it's at the point now where we have given a NAME to our pain...)
>>
>>Derek, you're as much to blame as Ryk is. Jumping in every time to tell
>>people not to jump in is not only feeding the netkook, it's
>>hypocritical.

No, feeding the netkook is feeding his fantasies--
Normally, that's the rule for Trolls, while K00ks require toxic-glove
hands-off....If, and we in no uncertain terms emphasize "IF", any
contact is to be initiated, it is to be solely for NO OTHER PURPOSE to
cruelly and jarringly throw cold water of disillusionment on any fantasy
created by the troll/kook:

No, and take special NOTE:
We don't mean *telling* him that he's a big fat k00k, and giving him
high-minded and self-righteous lectures about how good on-topic people
behave, about what nice reponsible people we are for sticking together,
and other such things to artificiallyi inflate the k00k's self-created
"Martyred rebel against the mainstream" delusions--
We mean "Shoving him down on the playground, giving him one kick of sand
in his face, grabbing his ball back, and continuing our happy
friend-involved game on the other side of the field while he sniffles."
Take particular note how no ACTUAL attempt is made to address any point,
supposition, fact, or content whatsoever made in any post by the
Troll/K00k, apart from the simple, direct, surgical attempt to make him
cry, and move on. @_@

>>C'mon, even *I've* gotten past the
>>feeding-the-netkook-by-telling-everyone-else-don't-feed-the-netkook
>>stage, and I'm usually the slow one on that uptake. What's your excuse?
>

> Not only that, for all his arrogance, idiocy, and otherwise
> dysfunctional personality, Dorkster's posts are at least on-topic.
> He's guaranteed to be wrong about anime fandom and "the industry"
> but he does keep to the subject at hand.

No, he tries to Market Himself by leeching onto every thread that he
can, since he never particpates in discussions that don't--

And when none show up, he tries to *create* "Everyone else's" discussions...
Particularly in the last thread, where he resurrected the TITLE of an
AnimeonDVD Forum thread he was unable to participate in (being banned
for life, of course), brought it over here to reimagine it into Anything
He Wanted It to Be, and hoped we'd play along...For the record, we didn't.

(Remember, by actual definitions, to Feed is to Discuss, to Discuss is
to Involve, and to Involve is to Preserve Fantasies...
And it's the Fantasies that are the chaff up for removal--Always bypass
the middleman.)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Baranyi

Dec 16, 2008, 9:06:27 PM12/16/08

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

> In article <494832b...@news.individual.net>,
> rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:30:19 GMT, Derek Janssen
>> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> >sanjian wrote:

(clipping)

> Cap.
> (... so, anyone else going to comment on the Toradora thread?...)

Done <g>

Dave Baranyi

Justin

Dec 16, 2008, 9:53:20 PM12/16/08
Rob Kelk wrote on [Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:01:20 GMT]:
> Derek, you're as much to blame as Ryk is. Jumping in every time to tell
> people not to jump in is not only feeding the netkook, it's
> hypocritical.
>
> C'mon, even *I've* gotten past the
> feeding-the-netkook-by-telling-everyone-else-don't-feed-the-netkook
> stage, and I'm usually the slow one on that uptake. What's your excuse?

Where else will he prove how much better than everyone else he is than
his little snarky comments in his signature.

sanjian

Dec 16, 2008, 10:35:11 PM12/16/08

You may not like that he's snarky about it, but is he wrong? I think Derek
is, like me, baffled that the same r.a.a.m. that used to know how to handle
trolls now willingly feeds them. This devolution of the news group makes no
sense.

Maybe we need to bring back ELL or Kuno.

Derek Janssen

Dec 16, 2008, 10:54:22 PM12/16/08

What prolongs the thread is that people (and you know which people we're
referring to) fall for EXACTLY what the oldiest, moldiest, 90's-cliche's
Stretch Trolls *hope* they'll fall for, ie. "Look!--It's shockingly torn
out of today's headlines! 0.0"

Which is exactly what Darky does when he thinks he's "on a roll" but has
spent out any momentum on a losing point--
In a real-life human conversation, most people would think it was either
strange or desperate that someone losing an argument would SUDDENLY talk
about the Price of Oil or the Auto-Company Bailout, and give them a
rather puzzled look...
While the more naive and willing Sea Captains on the group read it and
say "Oo, is *that* what we're talking about now?--Cool! It's important,
you know! ^_^ ")

Smokey the Troll-Buster sez: Remember...ONLY YOU can prevent Thread
Drift. (By not responding, and letting the new branch die on the vine.)
And in the right sadistic sense of mind, it's *fun* to prevent it, too.

Derek Janssen
ejanss

8-Bit Star

Dec 17, 2008, 1:22:25 AM12/17/08
On Dec 15, 10:11 am, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:
> Blade wrote:
> > See the dipshit that's taking over the thread with his idiot
> > ramblings, and all the people starting to respond to him like
> > clockwork?
>
> Oh for the days when people knew not to feed the trolls, eh? It seems like
> r.a.a.m.'s gone senile, these days...

Damn strait.

Especially considering that I swear half the people responding
to "the dipshit" swore that they would never, ever do so (again, in
some cases...)

8-Bit Star

Dec 17, 2008, 1:32:03 AM12/17/08
On Dec 16, 9:35 pm, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:

> Maybe we need to bring back ELL or Kuno.

What? No mention of Gaza or the Cable bros?

Rob Kelk

Dec 17, 2008, 7:41:50 AM12/17/08
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:48:12 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

<snip>

>No, and take special NOTE:
>We don't mean *telling* him that he's a big fat k00k,

Yes, we *DO* mind. That's feeding his need for attention. Please stop.

<snip>

sanjian

Dec 17, 2008, 7:50:05 AM12/17/08

I'm considering ELL and Kuno to be potential solutions, not additonal
problems.

sanjian

Dec 17, 2008, 7:52:22 AM12/17/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:48:12 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> No, and take special NOTE:
>> We don't mean *telling* him that he's a big fat k00k,
>
> Yes, we *DO* mind. That's feeding his need for attention. Please stop.

Rob, if you clear up those who are responsding to Mikey, then everything
else clears up, too. That said, I won't have to see any of this until I get
back from some reather unpleasant family business.

Aje RavenStar

Dec 17, 2008, 7:59:10 AM12/17/08

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

Good luck with whatever it is. You'll be in our thoughts.

ELL might be a solution - though with darkthought, he'd probably have set
him straight in one post and plonk'd him. He'd be welcome, though, for his
knowledge (he was one of the five I've learned the most on topic stuff on
when he'd feel like straight up sharing).

Rob Kelk

Dec 17, 2008, 8:02:59 AM12/17/08

In a "we had to destroy the newsgroup in order to save it" kind of
solution, maybe...

Rob Kelk

Dec 17, 2008, 8:04:58 AM12/17/08

Oh, dear. Hope that resolves well...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 17, 2008, 11:36:25 AM12/17/08
Wed, 17 Dec 2008 1:04pm-0000, Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com>:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:52:22 -0500, "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote:
>
> >Rob Kelk wrote:
> >> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:48:12 GMT, Derek Janssen
> >> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> Yes, we *DO* mind. That's feeding his need for attention. Please stop.
> >
> >Rob, if you clear up those who are responsding to Mikey, then everything
> >else clears up, too. That said, I won't have to see any of this until I get
> >back from some reather unpleasant family business.
>
> Oh, dear. Hope that resolves well...

It's Xmas, guys. People have unpleasant family business. ^_^

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Derek Janssen

Dec 17, 2008, 3:42:14 PM12/17/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 01:48:12 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>No, and take special NOTE:
>>We don't mean *telling* him that he's a big fat k00k,
>
> Yes, we *DO* mind. That's feeding his need for attention. Please stop.

Uh, ahem, "We don't MEAN telling him..." Reading is fundamental. ^_^

Like Syndrome says, don't get suckered into monologuing, and giving your
opponent an opportunity to catch you off guard...
Just snip, punchline, and get out fast while he's still down.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2008, 5:28:08 PM12/17/08
On Dec 16, 5:30 pm, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> In article
> <32982199-26c9-4130-9792-ce2cc48f6...@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>  darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > So what you going to do about it, since there's no way I'm changing my
> > correct view...
>
>    Continue to mock you at every turn, as you spin yourself further
>    into ridiculousness.

I could fix that quote with you saying "Remain in denial, steal
whatever the fuck I want, and not care about anyone else but myself.",
but I'll retain it because, for the intent and purpose, your statement
and that statement are totally equivalent.

Mike (And why I have less and less in common with the fandom every
day.)

It is loading more messages.