Any urban legends regarding anime?

Thik

May 21, 2002, 6:18:59 PM5/21/02
Hello,

An "urban legend" is "a modern story of obscure origin and with little
or no supporting eveidence that spreads spontaneously in varying forms
and often has elements of humor, moralizing, or horror" (Webster's
College Dictionary). An example of an "urban legend" is the belief
that alligators lived in the sewers of New York City.

I must admit that I did fall to several urban legends, all which had
no supporting evidence. Several I will mention that dealt with anime:

a) The "Prince Uranus" story that states that Sailor Uranus in her
previous life is a prince in the Silver Milennium. This story
originated from Save Our Sailors (SOS), a Sailor Moon web site with a
dubious reputation. I think the story originated in 1998, and fans
pointed out the story is made-up by SOS.

b) The idea that SOS, through its PopTarts "procott" is responsible
for bringing the dubbed version of Sailor Moon back to the airwaves in
1997. Evidence shows that the so-called "procott" and SOS are not
responsible.

c) The idea that Kenshin Himura is a samurai, even though evidence
shows that he is an assassin.

d) Removal of anti-Semetic references in the anime "Angel Cop," even
in the subtitled versions. This turns out to be true.

Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
last several years?

tim gueguen

May 21, 2002, 6:53:10 PM5/21/02

"Thik" <rgm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> An "urban legend" is "a modern story of obscure origin and with little
> or no supporting eveidence that spreads spontaneously in varying forms
> and often has elements of humor, moralizing, or horror" (Webster's
> College Dictionary). An example of an "urban legend" is the belief
> that alligators lived in the sewers of New York City.
>
> I must admit that I did fall to several urban legends, all which had
> no supporting evidence. Several I will mention that dealt with anime:
>
> a) The "Prince Uranus" story that states that Sailor Uranus in her
> previous life is a prince in the Silver Milennium. This story
> originated from Save Our Sailors (SOS), a Sailor Moon web site with a
> dubious reputation. I think the story originated in 1998, and fans
> pointed out the story is made-up by SOS.
>
> b) The idea that SOS, through its PopTarts "procott" is responsible
> for bringing the dubbed version of Sailor Moon back to the airwaves in
> 1997. Evidence shows that the so-called "procott" and SOS are not
> responsible.
>
> c) The idea that Kenshin Himura is a samurai, even though evidence
> shows that he is an assassin.

That doesn't sound like an urban legend but a fan misinterpretation of the
series. If you're going to call that an urban legend then you might as well
call the common fan idea that Nodoka Saotome of Ranma 1/2 is an accomplished
swordswoman an urban legend.

One possible urban legend I've heard is that one of the major Japanese noise
musicians, either Masami Akita of Merzbow or the guy from Masonna, owns an
expensive Sailor Moon phone/answering machine that features a customised
message from the actual Sailor Moon voice artist.

tim gueguen 101867

Ethan Hammond

May 21, 2002, 7:28:55 PM5/21/02
> Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> last several years?

Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Derek Janssen

May 21, 2002, 9:07:06 PM5/21/02
Thik wrote:

> Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> last several years?

Disney's "Atlantis". Nadia. You fill in the rest.

Derek Janssen (next, "anything Disney vs. anime--Even though Jeff K.
left years ago, we're still suspicious!")
dja...@ultarnet.com

Tengu Nekogami (James King)

May 21, 2002, 10:48:40 PM5/21/02
"Thik" <rgm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> An "urban legend" is "a modern story of obscure origin and with little
> or no supporting eveidence that spreads spontaneously in varying forms
> and often has elements of humor, moralizing, or horror" (Webster's
> College Dictionary). An example of an "urban legend" is the belief
> that alligators lived in the sewers of New York City.
>
> I must admit that I did fall to several urban legends, all which had
> no supporting evidence. Several I will mention that dealt with anime:
>
> a) The "Prince Uranus" story that states that Sailor Uranus in her
> previous life is a prince in the Silver Milennium. This story
> originated from Save Our Sailors (SOS), a Sailor Moon web site with a
> dubious reputation. I think the story originated in 1998, and fans
> pointed out the story is made-up by SOS.
>
> b) The idea that SOS, through its PopTarts "procott" is responsible
> for bringing the dubbed version of Sailor Moon back to the airwaves in
> 1997. Evidence shows that the so-called "procott" and SOS are not
> responsible.

Continuing this Sailor Moon trend:

Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p

I've had that conversation about 3 times. Usually with otherwise intelligent
people. Though one of them was of the 'Necronomicon is Real' camp, so his
intelligence and sanity is in question.

It makes my brain hurt every single time.

--
James King,
Tengu Nekogami,

Metlhd3138

May 21, 2002, 10:11:56 PM5/21/02
>Continuing this Sailor Moon trend:
>
>Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p
>
>I've had that conversation about 3 times. Usually with otherwise intelligent
>people. Though one of them was of the 'Necronomicon is Real' camp, so his
>intelligence and sanity is in question.
>
>It makes my brain hurt every single time.

Almost as bad as the people who think that DBZ uncut has lots of swears due to
the EEEEEVILLL fansubs where the characters talk like their in a kevin smith
film.

Krillin: "Get the f*** off this mf'ing planet nappa"-Fansubbed DBZ.

Mark J. Tilford

May 21, 2002, 11:04:42 PM5/21/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002 22:53:10 GMT, tim gueguen <ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca> wrote:

> "Thik" <rgm...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> An "urban legend" is "a modern story of obscure origin and with little
>> or no supporting eveidence that spreads spontaneously in varying forms
>> and often has elements of humor, moralizing, or horror" (Webster's
>> College Dictionary). An example of an "urban legend" is the belief
>> that alligators lived in the sewers of New York City.

Well, there is a long urban legend about why the early parts of the OMG manga
were skipped in the original US release.

IIRC, the UL goes that Dark Horse wasn't too confident about the story, and
some higher-up wanted it to be closer to the anime, so they initially skipped
most of the early parts (everything from the first chapter to the appearance of
Urd, maybe plus some other stuff), and were going to fill in the rest later.
Shortly after that, somebody posted a complete translation of the first two
books on the internet, and Dark Horse decided the other stories wouldn't sell
with that out, so they didn't do them (for several years, until SMB).

The other reason floating around on the internet is that the early chapters
were skipped due to poor art quality.

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

Peter Svensson

May 21, 2002, 11:46:42 PM5/21/02
rgm...@hotmail.com (Thik) wrote in message news:<2f6eab5f.02052...@posting.google.com>...

> Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> last several years?

I can give you a couple.

At the end of Sailormoon TV, millions of angry parents called their TV
stations in protest.

ADV changed names in Evangelion to avoid problems with Religious
groups.

MTV wants to air Evangelion. (Remember this one?)

There will be a new Dragon Ball series called AF, (or X, or...)

Peter Svensson | http://www.comicboards.com/manga

Christopher J. Sypal

May 22, 2002, 12:21:19 AM5/22/02
Let it be known that on 21 May 2002 15:18:59 -0700, rgm...@hotmail.com (Thik)
wrote:

>Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
>last several years?

The reason why the last episode of Gunbuster was in B&W was because Gainax ran
out of money.

jet...@getnet.net

May 22, 2002, 12:29:20 AM5/22/02
Mark J. Tilford <til...@ralph.caltech.edu> used the Force to send this:

The first four volumes of You're Under Arrest were skipped for the English
release, lending some credance to that theory... Fujishima's early stuff
can be pretty rough.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe jet...@getnet.net

"S'matter big brain? You never suspected that enough obedient ants could
soften a concrete sidewalk's crust??" -Giant Man, Tales to Astonish #50

jet...@getnet.net

May 22, 2002, 12:32:47 AM5/22/02
Peter Svensson <sun1...@hotmail.com> used the Force to send this:

> rgm...@hotmail.com (Thik) wrote in message news:<2f6eab5f.02052...@posting.google.com>...
>> Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
>> last several years?

> There will be a new Dragon Ball series called AF, (or X, or...)

And a new season of Sailor Moon called X too...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

May 22, 2002, 12:46:25 AM5/22/02
On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ethan Hammond wrote:

> > Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> > last several years?
>
> Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.

How about Anno doing Eva eps after his psych sessions?
Or do peope really believe that?

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 12:49:04 AM5/22/02

"Christopher J. Sypal" <csy...@radiks.net> wrote in message

Isn't that the excuse they use for the pretentiously avant-garde Evangelion
finale as well?

-Lord Craxton

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 12:50:22 AM5/22/02

"Derek Janssen" <dja...@ultranet.com> wrote in message

In the same vein, I must say I never quite bought the JEL= Lion King theory.

-Lord Craxton

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 1:44:37 AM5/22/02

"Svend Blackmere" <Svend_B...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:28:55 GMT, Ethan Hammond
> <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >> Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> >> last several years?
> >
> >Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.

That's actually true. The CEO of the company got caught with cocaine in his
possession and sent to the slammer. Fucked up their business royale. This is
why Please Save My Earth stopped short at the sixth episode.

Hmm... anime urban legends... well, here's one- you know the recent ADV
version of Nadia, which was under their "ADV Fansubs" club? Well, way back
when little was known about the ADV Fansubs line other then its name, there
was a rumor that ADV had hit on the insidious scheme to find timed scripts
(used by fansubbers) of their properties on the WWW and use them as their
official sub scripts. Thereby, they would have a translation the fans liked,
without spending a cent, and the fansubbers had no recourse since they were
infringing on copyrights already.

This turned out to be nothing more then a rumor. No idea how it got started.
^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;

It's also rumored that James Cameron's TV series, Dark Angel, was originally
suppossed to be a live-action Battle Angel movie, but Cameron got so
frustrated with "suits" stepping on his creative control that he gave them
the kiss-off, and later ripped off the concept.

Hmm... what else have I heard... Well, there's the old story that Project
A-ko was originally a lesbian story for a hentai OVA series... actually, I
think that one's true.

There are a bunch of tall tales about EVA... my favorite is the idea that a
bunch of people wrote a continuation fanfic (how?) that became so popular
they made radio dramas for it, for which they were able to recruit Asuka's
dub VA to reprise her role.

It's been said that the seemingly endless Goku-Freezer battle was Akria
Toriyama's deliberate attempt to bore his audience... he wanted to scuttle
DBZ because he was tired of writing it.

It's also been rumored that the cult-classic "To Heart" was originally an
XXX rated date-sim game, which is half-true- it was a game, but it wasn't
XXX rated.

It's been theorized that the mech-piloting Japanese exchange students from a
famous episode of Dexter's Laboratory are based on Heero and Trowa from
Gundam W (the episode, BTW, predates Gundam's Toonami fame by a few
years...)

I heard a rumor that the opening to Brain Powerd was a desperate attempt to
make the series somewhat interesting. (If you've seen it, you understand...)

There's a first-season episode of Sailor Moon which takes place in an
animation studio, and features, as a minor character, a picky overseer that
some say was a sneaky attempt of one Toei animator to caracature his boss.
Some versions of the story say said animator was fired for this offense.

Also, not really anime related, but has to be mentioned: There's a story
that the Peanuts Halloween special, "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!"
was originally titled "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown... Worship It
Before It Destroys You!", a 90-minute TV movie full of gore, occultism, and
marcabe scenes wherein the entire cast gets killed off in a bloody
mass-murder, and was edited and rewritten into what we know today after it
bombed horribly. I don't put much faith in THIS one...

And I don't think I can top that, so I'll leave it at that for now. ^_^
Anyone else?

-Lord Craxton

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 1:48:45 AM5/22/02

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote in message

> On Tue, 21 May 2002, Ethan Hammond wrote:
>
> > > Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
> > > last several years?
> >
> > Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.
> >

> How about Anno doing Eva eps after his psych sessions?
> Or do peope really believe that?

I wouldn't be surprised. ^_^

-Lord Craxton

jet...@getnet.net

May 22, 2002, 2:25:32 AM5/22/02
Lord Craxton <cra...@erols.com> used the Force to send this:

> It's been theorized that the mech-piloting Japanese exchange students from a
> famous episode of Dexter's Laboratory are based on Heero and Trowa from
> Gundam W (the episode, BTW, predates Gundam's Toonami fame by a few
> years...)

I can't imagine who theorized that... It is pretty obvious from their
looks and mecha those kids are homages to the 70s and early 80s robot
anime. The striped-pants kid represents shows like Mazinger/Tranzor Z and
Getta Robo/Starvengers while the grey jumpsuit kid represents Robotech,
with his transforming fighter and motorcycle.

Derek Janssen

May 22, 2002, 2:52:31 AM5/22/02
jet...@getnet.net wrote:

> Lord Craxton <cra...@erols.com> used the Force to send this:
>
> > It's been theorized that the mech-piloting Japanese exchange students from a
> > famous episode of Dexter's Laboratory are based on Heero and Trowa from
> > Gundam W (the episode, BTW, predates Gundam's Toonami fame by a few
> > years...)
>
> I can't imagine who theorized that... It is pretty obvious from their
> looks and mecha those kids are homages to the 70s and early 80s robot
> anime.

And the fact that CN routinely considers Speed Racer jokes as "hip" and
"up-to-date" anime references, so Gundam jokes would be pretty well
beyond their overall ken.

Derek Janssen (let's face it, the CN left hand has no idea what the CN
right hand is doing...)
dja...@ultranet.com

Ethan Hammond

May 22, 2002, 5:05:38 AM5/22/02
Lord Craxton wrote:

> "Svend Blackmere" <Svend_B...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > >Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.
> >

> That's actually true. The CEO of the company got caught with cocaine in his
> possession and sent to the slammer. Fucked up their business royale. This is
> why Please Save My Earth stopped short at the sixth episode.

But not the guy who did the manga, which is what most people think.

Farix

May 22, 2002, 9:16:33 AM5/22/02
"Tengu Nekogami (James King)" <te...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p

Oh yes, I remember having a long argument with someone who claimed to have
seen the "original Sailor Moon" and claimed that Usagi, along with the rest
of the scouts, always ran around naked. He also claimed that DIC had
digitally painted cloths when they adapted the series to US television.

Farix

Rob Kelk

May 22, 2002, 2:33:07 PM5/22/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002 00:50:22 -0400, "Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com>
wrote:

That reminds me of the persistent rumour that at least one of the "Lion
King" voice actors thought he was doing a "Kimba" remake...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.tripod.com> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Derek Janssen

May 22, 2002, 2:59:12 PM5/22/02
Rob Kelk wrote:

> >> Disney's "Atlantis". Nadia. You fill in the rest.
> >>
> >> (next, "anything Disney vs. anime--Even though Jeff K.
> >> left years ago, we're still suspicious!")
>
> That reminds me of the persistent rumour that at least one of the "Lion
> King" voice actors thought he was doing a "Kimba" remake...

That's Matthew Broderick, and probably because he was quoted in an
interview as saying that.

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Taryn Kimel

May 22, 2002, 5:28:07 PM5/22/02
> There are a bunch of tall tales about EVA... my favorite is the idea that
> bunch of people wrote a continuation fanfic (how?) that became so popular
> they made radio dramas for it, for which they were able to recruit Asuka's
> dub VA to reprise her role.

Um...

http://www.eva-r.com/evarpage1.htm

^_^;;

--Taryn

Freezer

May 22, 2002, 6:15:55 PM5/22/02
Yo Lord Craxton, it's your turn! Act like gonorrhea and burn, baby,
burn!

> Hmm... what else have I heard... Well, there's the old story that Project
> A-ko was originally a lesbian story for a hentai OVA series... actually, I
> think that one's true.

That's about what I heard too: A-ko was supposed to be an edition of
the Cream Lemon series, but the creators decided that the (pre-sex)
results were too funny to mess with and decided to go full-out comedy
(with obvious overtones).

--
(I glad they went that way - the thought of C-ko having sex with
anything/body is disturbing on multiple levels...)

My name is:
____ _
/ ___| | | http://www.geocities.com/
| |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | | mysterysciencefreezer
| __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| | (My MSTings)
|_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_) (Rasslin' and other subjects)

And my anti-drug is porn.

Freezer

May 22, 2002, 6:15:55 PM5/22/02
Yo Lord Craxton, it's your turn! Act like gonorrhea and burn, baby,
burn!

> Hmm... what else have I heard... Well, there's the old story that Project

> A-ko was originally a lesbian story for a hentai OVA series... actually, I
> think that one's true.

That's about what I heard too: A-ko was supposed to be an edition of

Invid Fan

May 22, 2002, 6:24:10 PM5/22/02
In article <acgl6a$76h$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Arromdee
<arro...@yellow.rahul.net> wrote:

> >> The reason why the last episode of Gunbuster was in B&W was because Gainax
> >ran
> >> out of money.
> >Isn't that the excuse they use for the pretentiously avant-garde Evangelion
> >finale as well?
>

> If you're in a suspicious mood, there's also the Nadia island episodes. And
> the stills in Karekano...

Well, the Nadia island episodes were because the network wanted a
longer series, so Gainax stuck them on an island for 13 or so episodes
and had another company animate it.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Basara

May 22, 2002, 7:02:35 PM5/22/02

"Invid Fan" <in...@localnet.com> wrote in message

> In article <acgl6a$76h$1...@samba.rahul.net>, Ken Arromdee
> <arro...@yellow.rahul.net> wrote:

Gainax
> > >ran
> > >Isn't that the excuse they use for the pretentiously avant-garde
Evangelion
> > >finale as well?
> >
> > If you're in a suspicious mood, there's also the Nadia island episodes.
And
> > the stills in Karekano...
>
> Well, the Nadia island episodes were because the network wanted a
> longer series, so Gainax stuck them on an island for 13 or so episodes
> and had another company animate it.

It wasn't quite THAT long - then again, I count the episodes after the Red
Noah encounter as a seperate filler arc, since the Red Noah material was
very much NOT filler.

And the version I heard was that (much like Babylon 5 during the 4th
season), the series was almost shortened during its run (from 39 to 26
episodes), then got a reprieve after most the changes had been scripted,
resulting in the need to rush the filler "Island" and "Africa" (prior to the
arrival at the ruins at Tartessos) episodes in to refill the space emptied
by the earlier contraction.

Stan

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 7:30:16 PM5/22/02

"Taryn Kimel" <am...@charter.net> wrote in message

O_O;;;;;; It EXISTS?!

-Lord Craxton

Invid Fan

May 22, 2002, 7:59:24 PM5/22/02
In article <ueo8vag...@corp.supernews.com>, Basara <sbu...@kih.net>
wrote:

Thing is, 39 episodes is a VERY unusual number of episodes for a
season. Are there any shows that were planned to be that length from
the beginning? Macross was expanded from 26 to 39 due to popularity,
but there they tacked the extras at the end (it was originaly going to
end with the big battle over the destroyed Earth).

Donovan Moser

May 22, 2002, 8:18:01 PM5/22/02
There is a rumor that the Japanese Transformers episodes had a decent English
dub done for them and were ready for US release, but the warehouse they were
stored in burned down.

Donovan Moser
drks...@aol.com

Herman Bernard Walker

May 22, 2002, 8:48:25 PM5/22/02
In article <3ceb99c3$1...@corp.newsgroups.com>, fa...@citynet.net says...

> "Tengu Nekogami (James King)" <te...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p
>
> Oh yes, I remember having a long argument with someone who claimed to have
> seen the "original Sailor Moon" and claimed that Usagi, along with the rest
> of the scouts, always ran around naked. He also claimed that DIC had
> digitally painted cloths when they adapted the series to US television.

Could this be a mutation of the story/rumor/whatever about _Project A-
Ko_ originally being an episode of _Cream Lemon_(ye olde anime pr0n)?

> Farix

> -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Bernard Walker
binaroid at netcom dot com

Derek Janssen

May 22, 2002, 8:57:12 PM5/22/02
Invid Fan wrote:

> Thing is, 39 episodes is a VERY unusual number of episodes for a
> season. Are there any shows that were planned to be that length from
> the beginning? Macross was expanded from 26 to 39 due to popularity,
> but there they tacked the extras at the end (it was originaly going to
> end with the big battle over the destroyed Earth).

Not to mention at least a half dozen clip recaps and character backstory-reminiscinces.

Derek Janssen (did we really NEED Hikaru's nightmare episode?)
dja...@ultranet.com

Taryn Kimel

May 22, 2002, 8:50:58 PM5/22/02

"Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com> wrote in message

^_^;; Yeeee-up. They've got a few clips with Tiffany Grant in them.

--Taryn

Peter Svensson

May 22, 2002, 8:54:00 PM5/22/02
"Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<acf96t$nhl$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> "Christopher J. Sypal" <csy...@radiks.net> wrote in message
> Isn't that the excuse they use for the pretentiously avant-garde Evangelion
> finale as well?

There's a difference. Gainax has gone on record as stating that
Gunbuster was done in B&W on purpose. They've also gone on record as
stating that EVA's ending was done due to a lack of time and money.
And there is evidence in previous episodes that seems to bear that one
out. (The barebones next episode previews using only storyboards.
Seems to indicate that they didn't have enough of the next episode
ready in time to put it on the preview...)

So it may be lying on the part of Gainax, but there really isn't any
way for us to tell. It's true unless proven false.

Peter Svensson | http://www.comicboards.com/manga

Steve Brandon

May 22, 2002, 8:56:08 PM5/22/02
I heard an urban legend to the effect that the "Di" in DiC stands for
Disney, since Disney owned DiC for a time, but this is not true; DiC
was founded in 1968 in France by Jean Chalopin, and expanded to
America in 1982 with his partner Andy Heyward. Disney didn't acquire
DiC until 1988, in hopes of acquiring the rights to do a live-action
version of Inspector Gadget (which it did eventually, as we all
remember), though, otherwise, Disney didn't interfere in the internal
affairs of DiC (from what I hear). I think Disney sold-off DiC at some
point in the late-90s.

Anyhow, the "C" stands for "Chalopin" and the "D" and "I" were other
co-founders, whose name I don't remember.

Steve Brandon
Ten...@canada.com

Peter Svensson

May 22, 2002, 9:02:03 PM5/22/02
"Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<acfcf3$3lc$1...@bob.news.rcn.net>...

> There are a bunch of tall tales about EVA... my favorite is the idea that a
> bunch of people wrote a continuation fanfic (how?) that became so popular
> they made radio dramas for it, for which they were able to recruit Asuka's
> dub VA to reprise her role.

It's true. How they did it? They basically reset everything back to
status quo and continued the series by adding new characters while
developing the old.

www.eva-r.com

IMHO, it's an A for effort, C for content.

How about Nausicaa going pantless?
Or there being an extended cut of Akira that's 6 hours long?

Peter Svensson | http://www.comicboards.com/manga

Steve Brandon

May 22, 2002, 9:03:12 PM5/22/02
The "backlash" against anime (other than Pokemon and Digimon),
especially among Christians, is pretty much an urban legend, aside
from a couple of poorly-researched Focus on the Family articles in
1996 and 1997, and a few rantings by Berit Kjos (and most of those
deal with the kiddy-TV anime). There isn't enough of a critical mass
of anime fans (compared to, say, Marilyn Manson fans or even D&D fans,
though the fuss over D&D had pretty much died out by the early 90s)for
them to give us much attention. And that anti-anime article at
adequacy.org was a SPOOF... I can't believe how many anime fans fell
for that one (unless their responses are also spoofs).

Also, Congress is not about to pass any laws against anime.

Steve Brandon
Ten...@canada.com

Derek Janssen

May 22, 2002, 9:15:32 PM5/22/02
Steve Brandon wrote:

> And that anti-anime article at
> adequacy.org was a SPOOF... I can't believe how many anime fans fell
> for that one (unless their responses are also spoofs).
>
> Also, Congress is not about to pass any laws against anime.

And Pokemon's seizure-inducing blinking did NOT involve Pikachu.

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultranet.com

Steve Brandon

May 22, 2002, 9:09:57 PM5/22/02
jet...@getnet.net wrote:

> The first four volumes of You're Under Arrest were skipped for the English
> release, lending some credance to that theory... Fujishima's early stuff
> can be pretty rough.

I heard that the first four volumes were skipped over by Dark
Horse/Proteus at the request of Mr. Fujishima, because he himself was
embarrassed at the quality of the character designs, especially in the
first two volumes, though, to me, it has the same simple appeal as
Izumi Matsumoto's character designs in the Kimagure Orange Road manga.
I thought this was the reason given on the Studio Proteus homepage.

Steve Brandon
Ten...@canada.com

Steve Brandon

May 22, 2002, 9:13:54 PM5/22/02
rgm...@hotmail.com (Thik) wrote:

> a) The "Prince Uranus" story that states that Sailor Uranus in her
> previous life is a prince in the Silver Milennium. This story
> originated from Save Our Sailors (SOS), a Sailor Moon web site with a
> dubious reputation. I think the story originated in 1998, and fans
> pointed out the story is made-up by SOS.
>
> b) The idea that SOS, through its PopTarts "procott" is responsible
> for bringing the dubbed version of Sailor Moon back to the airwaves in
> 1997. Evidence shows that the so-called "procott" and SOS are not
> responsible.

What about the one that Mamoru Chiba (Tuxedo Mask) originally was
going to be called "Damian", which DiC derived from "Prince Endymion",
but then DiC changed it to "Darian" because "Damian" sounded too
Satanic? Or, for that matter, that Usagi was going to be called
"Victoria" instead of "Serena"?

Steve Brandon
Ten...@canada.com

Nargun

May 22, 2002, 9:30:31 PM5/22/02
On Wed, 22 May 2002, Farix wrote:

> "Tengu Nekogami (James King)" <te...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p
>
> Oh yes, I remember having a long argument with someone who claimed to have
> seen the "original Sailor Moon" and claimed that Usagi, along with the rest
> of the scouts, always ran around naked. He also claimed that DIC had
> digitally painted cloths when they adapted the series to US television.

Arguing with delusional people is a waste of time. Arguing with people who
lie to gain attention is a waste of time.

It's reallife trolling, or a desperate plea for help. Either way, unless
you're willing to see to their psych care, walk away.

Louis
--
Louis Patterson l.patt...@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au
"If you are asked to pass the butter, always remember to pass

Nargun

May 22, 2002, 9:31:45 PM5/22/02

Reports have it that Esca was planned to be that long, but was cut back in
preproduction. Utena is that long also.

Betty Lee

May 22, 2002, 9:40:15 PM5/22/02
+
+ Oh yes, I remember having a long argument with someone who claimed to have
+ seen the "original Sailor Moon" and claimed that Usagi, along with the rest
+ of the scouts, always ran around naked. He also claimed that DIC had
+ digitally painted cloths when they adapted the series to US television.

Not "always", but as an example, Sailor Moon _does_ spend around 10
minutes of the episode 200 wearing nothing but her amulet and (often
outspread) wings. And, the transformation sequences _did_ originally
have more lines suggesting uncovered anatomically correct body parts
(which were easily covered up for the TV release). There was also a lot
more gender bending in the original than what was shown on TV, and the
Sailor Scouts do get far more battered and even killed in the original.
(The power of the Sailor Moon's love and her crystal always brings
them back.) There's nothing to argue about. It's all just there.

--
Betty Lee
bett...@Stanford.EDU

Enigma

May 22, 2002, 9:52:42 PM5/22/02

> It's also been rumored that the cult-classic "To Heart" was originally an
> XXX rated date-sim game, which is half-true- it was a game, but it wasn't
> XXX rated.

Actually, that one's true. To Heart started off as a H-game, but was later
ported to Playstation as a dating sim. The anime came out after this.

Betty Lee

May 22, 2002, 9:59:09 PM5/22/02
Nargun <lou...@student.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
+ On Wed, 22 May 2002, Farix wrote:
+ > "Tengu Nekogami (James King)" <te...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
+ > news:wOCG8.11898$Hf4.1...@news20.bellglobal.com...
+ > > Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p

I suppose it's possible that some overly prudish types might really
consider some nudity, a bit of gender ambiguity, and a message of love as
"hardcore porno", but I imagine those people simply need to watch _real_
hardcore porno.

+ > Oh yes, I remember having a long argument with someone who claimed to have
+ > seen the "original Sailor Moon" and claimed that Usagi, along with the
+ > rest of the scouts, always ran around naked. He also claimed that DIC had
+ > digitally painted cloths when they adapted the series to US television.
+
+ Arguing with delusional people is a waste of time. Arguing with people who
+ lie to gain attention is a waste of time.
+
+ It's reallife trolling, or a desperate plea for help. Either way, unless
+ you're willing to see to their psych care, walk away.

I'd chalk it up to misinterpretting, misunderstanding or misrepresenting
the other side, although I quite agree arguing about it in any case is
a waste of time. It's a lot more fun to simply settle it by spending
the time to get a copy of each version and playing them side by side
to see the differences.

--
Betty Lee
bett...@Stanford.EDU

Lord Craxton

May 22, 2002, 10:42:56 PM5/22/02

"Taryn Kimel" <am...@charter.net> wrote in message

But... 0_o what... o_0 how... O_O

-Lord Craxton

jet...@getnet.net

May 23, 2002, 12:14:57 AM5/23/02
Derek Janssen <dja...@ultranet.com> used the Force to send this:
> jet...@getnet.net wrote:
>>
>> Lord Craxton <cra...@erols.com> used the Force to send this:
>>
>> > It's been theorized that the mech-piloting Japanese exchange students from a
>> > famous episode of Dexter's Laboratory are based on Heero and Trowa from
>> > Gundam W (the episode, BTW, predates Gundam's Toonami fame by a few
>> > years...)
>>
>> I can't imagine who theorized that... It is pretty obvious from their
>> looks and mecha those kids are homages to the 70s and early 80s robot
>> anime.

> And the fact that CN routinely considers Speed Racer jokes as "hip" and
> "up-to-date" anime references, so Gundam jokes would be pretty well
> beyond their overall ken.

Who is "They?" Cartoon Network is not a single monolithic group brain...
the writers of Dexter's Lab are not the same people who make the editing
decisions for Toonami you know.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe jet...@getnet.net

"S'matter big brain? You never suspected that enough obedient ants could
soften a concrete sidewalk's crust??" -Giant Man, Tales to Astonish #50

Christopher J. Sypal

May 23, 2002, 12:40:09 AM5/23/02
Let it be known that on Wed, 22 May 2002 01:44:37 -0400, "Lord Craxton"
<cra...@erols.com> wrote:

>> >Like about how the guy from Dragon Half got arrested for doing drugs.
>>

>That's actually true. The CEO of the company got caught with cocaine in his
>possession and sent to the slammer. Fucked up their business royale. This is
>why Please Save My Earth stopped short at the sixth episode.

Actually that's Kadokawa who was busted. That was the reason for the cancelled
second Lodoss series, the delay after the second Arslan movie, and the was also
supposed to be more Silent Mobius movies.

I don't think Please Save My Earth was part of this.

>Hmm... what else have I heard... Well, there's the old story that Project
>A-ko was originally a lesbian story for a hentai OVA series... actually, I
>think that one's true.

True.

>It's also been rumored that the cult-classic "To Heart" was originally an
>XXX rated date-sim game, which is half-true- it was a game, but it wasn't
>XXX rated.

Maybe not "XXX", but it sure was "X"....

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 3:41:00 AM5/23/02
Donovan Moser wrote:

> There is a rumor that the Japanese Transformers episodes had a decent English
> dub done for them and were ready for US release, but the warehouse they were
> stored in burned down.

The dub wasn't that decent they aired in Hong Kong.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 3:40:59 AM5/23/02
Invid Fan wrote:

> Thing is, 39 episodes is a VERY unusual number of episodes for a
> season. Are there any shows that were planned to be that length from
> the beginning? Macross was expanded from 26 to 39 due to popularity,
> but there they tacked the extras at the end (it was originaly going to
> end with the big battle over the destroyed Earth).

Its a series and a half I guess heh.

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 3:41:02 AM5/23/02
Steve Brandon wrote:

> What about the one that Mamoru Chiba (Tuxedo Mask) originally was
> going to be called "Damian", which DiC derived from "Prince Endymion",
> but then DiC changed it to "Darian" because "Damian" sounded too
> Satanic? Or, for that matter, that Usagi was going to be called
> "Victoria" instead of "Serena"?

Isn't it Serena and Darian because as homage to bewitched.

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 3:41:01 AM5/23/02

It was that son of a bitch Porygon!!!!

Arbane the Terrible

May 23, 2002, 4:10:51 AM5/23/02
Herman Bernard Walker wrote:

> Could this be a mutation of the story/rumor/whatever about _Project A-
> Ko_ originally being an episode of _Cream Lemon_(ye olde anime pr0n)?

I heard a variation of that about _Iczer-1_ originally being a Cream Lemon,
also.

How about the persistent rumor that Amelia & Naga (in Slayers) are sisters?
(For all I know, it's been proven--I don't keep up with Slayers.)

--
"Remember, the plural of 'moron' is 'focus group'."
-- James A. Wolf

Arbane the Terrible

May 23, 2002, 4:13:08 AM5/23/02
Nargun wrote:

> Reports have it that Esca was planned to be that long, but was cut back in
> preproduction.

Is that why we never found out where the CD in the bazaar came from?

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 4:32:43 AM5/23/02
Arbane the Terrible wrote:

> Herman Bernard Walker wrote:
>
> > Could this be a mutation of the story/rumor/whatever about _Project A-
> > Ko_ originally being an episode of _Cream Lemon_(ye olde anime pr0n)?
>
> I heard a variation of that about _Iczer-1_ originally being a Cream Lemon,
> also.
>
> How about the persistent rumor that Amelia & Naga (in Slayers) are sisters?
> (For all I know, it's been proven--I don't keep up with Slayers.)

Thats actually true. Its revealed in the final novel.

Andrew Dynon

May 23, 2002, 6:53:58 AM5/23/02
A couple more:

- Carl Macek wanted to make Gundam part of Robotech
- Fox was going to bring Zeta Gundam over and put it on US TV in the mid-80s

Andrew Dynon

"If the story was beautiful, then the beauty belongs to us all; if it was
bad, the fault is mine alone, who told it."
- Zanzibar Swahili traditional story ending

Frank Raymond Michaels

May 23, 2002, 9:02:54 AM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 07:41:02 GMT, Ethan Hammond
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Steve Brandon wrote:
>
>> What about the one that Mamoru Chiba (Tuxedo Mask) originally was
>> going to be called "Damian", which DiC derived from "Prince Endymion",
>> but then DiC changed it to "Darian" because "Damian" sounded too
>> Satanic? Or, for that matter, that Usagi was going to be called
>> "Victoria" instead of "Serena"?
>
>Isn't it Serena and Darian because as homage to bewitched.

My own theory is that "Serena" is an Engrish mispronounciation for the
name "Selena" -- which means "moon".
------
FRM

Gerardo Campos

May 23, 2002, 10:43:35 AM5/23/02

I think that SM arrived to Mexico before DiC got the license, and they
renamed the chracaters Usagi to Serena, (Serena means Moon) and to
Darien, (Mamoru could be chnged to Mamón, which is a bad word in
Spanish)

I assume that later DiC took the names from these tranlsations.

Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Shadow6865

May 23, 2002, 11:08:09 AM5/23/02
<<
That's about what I heard too: A-ko was supposed to be an edition of
the Cream Lemon series, but the creators decided that the (pre-sex)
results were too funny to mess with and decided to go full-out comedy
(with obvious overtones). >>

Um your actually sort of half right. One of the middle episodes of Cream Lemon
had a Project A-ko type plot. It was about a girl like A-ko who had a lesbian
lover (not really like C-ko more typically kawaii) Stuff happens etc. it is
also believed that many staff people from A-ko and City Hunter worked on the
Cream Lemon series under false names.

Shadow6865

May 23, 2002, 11:12:03 AM5/23/02
<< Continuing this Sailor Moon trend:

Sailor Moon was originally a hardcore porno. :p

I've had that conversation about 3 times. Usually with otherwise intelligent
people. Though one of them was of the 'Necronomicon is Real' camp, so his
intelligence and sanity is in question. >>

You have heard this too. I know some people who are in fandom but dislike
anime who swear that the Japanese comic and anime version of Sailor Moon who
pornos. They say they have seen pornographic sailor moon comics. Then I tell
them about Doujinshi. Then they say that they prefer their fiction to the
truth.

Shadow6865

May 23, 2002, 11:17:22 AM5/23/02
<<
Not "always", but as an example, Sailor Moon _does_ spend around 10
minutes of the episode 200 wearing nothing but her amulet and (often
outspread) wings. And, the transformation sequences _did_ originally
have more lines suggesting uncovered anatomically correct body parts
(which were easily covered up for the TV release). There was also a lot
more gender bending in the original than what was shown on TV, and the
Sailor Scouts do get far more battered and even killed in the original.
(The power of the Sailor Moon's love and her crystal always brings
them back.) There's nothing to argue about. It's all just there. >>

Yes but I have met people who think that the orginal Sailor Moon was actual
pornography. Not because they have conservative standards but because they saw
some hentai doujinshi or heard it from somewhere else and now they think the
Japanese version is one big orgy with the sailor scouts constantly fucking each
other and being fucked.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 23, 2002, 12:50:08 PM5/23/02
>From: Ethan Hammond esha...@worldnet.att.net
>Date: 05/23/2002 1:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time

>Arbane the Terrible wrote:
>>
>> Herman Bernard Walker wrote:
>>
>> > Could this be a mutation of the story/rumor/whatever about _Project A-
>> > Ko_ originally being an episode of _Cream Lemon_(ye olde anime pr0n)?
>>
>> I heard a variation of that about _Iczer-1_ originally being a Cream Lemon,
>> also.
>>
>> How about the persistent rumor that Amelia & Naga (in Slayers) are sisters?
>> (For all I know, it's been proven--I don't keep up with Slayers.)
>
>Thats actually true. Its revealed in the final novel.

Her only sister? I've only heard of Naga, but from what I hear, it would
explain a lot of her comments about a "brutal sister" . . .

- Vaughner

"Oh sweet baby Jesus, I'm a female anime-type character and I'm being attacked
by tentacles!!! That means there's only one thing that could happen next!!"
- Bimbo Moneymaker, (www.)Exploitation Now(.com)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 23, 2002, 12:53:27 PM5/23/02
>From: Gerardo Campos mac...@mx1.ibm.com
>Date: 05/23/2002 7:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time

The DiC dub came before the Spanish dub, so the name exchange actually goes
the other way. Of course, the Spanish dub went all the way . . .

As for "selena." Where do you live? I've never heard the moon refered to
as anything other than "la luna."

Mark Carson

May 23, 2002, 1:48:02 PM5/23/02
kiyon...@hotmail.com (Steve Brandon) wrote in message news:<543bd046.0205...@posting.google.com>...

Not really - they (or rather Toren Smith) just say that the earlier books
were skipped because the "early artwork was pretty awful" but don't claim
that Fujishima asked them not to do them or anything like that.

In fact, I have a hard time believing this and similar stories - Why should
Fujishima allow the earlier volumes to be freely published all over the world
(in French, Italian, German, Chinese - even a new Japanese edition), but only
be embarrassed by the prospect of an American version? (One with only a
fraction of the market size of the others at that.)

If there's any truth to the story at all, it may be along these lines:

SP: Well, you know, the American market is a very tough one to break in to.
If you don't start out strong in the first few issues, you'll never make
it. It's not that we don't appreciate your earlier work, but...
KF: Um, in that case, perhaps it would be better to start with the fifth
volume then...

which is not exactly a spontaneous request...

I do agree with your assessment of the earlier YUA. The "awfulness" has
been considerably exaggerated. Sure, the character designs are sometimes
a little off and the layouts are sometimes a little awkward, but the art
is somehow suitable for the light and fluffy nature of the stories. (Hmm,
that didn't sound like much of an endorsement - how about "... for the
fresh, naive charm of the stories.")

--
Mark Carson mah...@ifrance.com http://mahousu.cjb.net

Chris Mattern

May 23, 2002, 1:51:18 PM5/23/02
"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> >From: Ethan Hammond esha...@worldnet.att.net
> >Date: 05/23/2002 1:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> >
> >Arbane the Terrible wrote:

> >> I heard a variation of that about _Iczer-1_ originally being a Cream Lemon,
> >> also.
> >>
> >> How about the persistent rumor that Amelia & Naga (in Slayers) are sisters?
> >> (For all I know, it's been proven--I don't keep up with Slayers.)
> >
> >Thats actually true. Its revealed in the final novel.
> >

> Her only sister? I've only heard of Naga, but from what I hear, it would
> explain a lot of her comments about a "brutal sister" . . .

"Brutal sister" sounds more like Luna Inverse, who is Lina's big sis.
Never shows up in the anime proper, although is she is mentioned a few
times and, oddly enough, shows up in the opening credits.

Chris Mattern

Derek Janssen

May 23, 2002, 2:13:19 PM5/23/02
"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> >> How about the persistent rumor that Amelia & Naga (in Slayers) are sisters?
> >> (For all I know, it's been proven--I don't keep up with Slayers.)
> >
> >Thats actually true. Its revealed in the final novel.
> >

> Her only sister? I've only heard of Naga, but from what I hear, it would
> explain a lot of her comments about a "brutal sister" . . .

You're confusing Amelia's ex-royal sister Naga (which she is, accdg. to
the creator backstory) with Lina's "brutal" big sister Luna Inverse, who
appears in Slayers Try (sorry, credits only).

Derek Janssen
dja...@utlranet.com

Gerardo Campos

May 23, 2002, 2:24:51 PM5/23/02

I live in Guadalajara, Mexico, actually I tried to mean Selene(a), I
don't recall
its roots, but is often to refere to the people that lives in the moon
as
"Selenitas"

Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Lord Craxton

May 23, 2002, 3:20:41 PM5/23/02

> >It's also been rumored that the cult-classic "To Heart" was originally an
> >XXX rated date-sim game, which is half-true- it was a game, but it wasn't
> >XXX rated.
>
> Maybe not "XXX", but it sure was "X"....

I don't think so... got any proof?

-Lord Craxton

Steve Brandon

May 23, 2002, 3:18:27 PM5/23/02
Oh wait, I remember another one to the effect that the Tenchi Muyo
Galaxy Police Mihoshi OVA special (which went on sale in Japan in
March 1994) was animated AFTER the entire 2nd Tenchi Muyo OVA series
(released from September 1994 through to September 1995 in Japan).
Highly unlikely, unless time travel was involved; they didn't even
have the animation for OVA episode 8 (the first episode of the 2nd OVA
series) "Hello Baby" ready in the 2nd series preview at the end of the
LD, just the storyboards.

Steve Brandon
Ten...@canada.com

Hans Holm

May 23, 2002, 3:20:10 PM5/23/02

Gerardo Campos <mac...@mx1.ibm.com> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:3CED33F3...@mx1.ibm.com...
Selene was the Greek personification of the moon.

Peter Svensson

May 23, 2002, 3:53:55 PM5/23/02
Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3CEC95...@worldnet.att.net>...

> Isn't it Serena and Darian because as homage to bewitched.

Then it would be Darren.

Actually, Darien has the same meaning as Mamoru, to protect. Looked it
up in a baby book.

Which of course makes the last name Shields horribly redundant. (In
the English translation of the manga only...)

Peter Svensson | http://www.comicboards.com/manga

Francisco Ho

May 23, 2002, 4:04:58 PM5/23/02

(I am doing this from memory)

"To Heart" was released by Leaf originally for the PC, and it had some
adult scenes. If you have played Peach Princess
(http://www.peachprincess.com) games like "Snow Drop", it is basically
the same, though I could dare to say it was more lite. Later, "To Heart"
was re-released for Playstation by Aquaplus, but this time any reference
to adult scenes were removed (I doubt Sony would have let them release
the game that way). The anime was done between KSS and Aquaplus. Note
the following though: Leaf is the adult division of Aquaplus, and Pink
Pineapple is the adult division of KSS!

Taryn Kimel

May 23, 2002, 5:01:13 PM5/23/02
> > > that
> > > popular
> > > Asuka's

> > > O_O;;;;;; It EXISTS?!
> >
> > ^_^;; Yeeee-up. They've got a few clips with Tiffany Grant in them.
> >

> But... 0_o what... o_0 how... O_O

Oh, hell if I know /how/ they got her. *chuckles*

--Taryn

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 23, 2002, 5:16:15 PM5/23/02
>From: Gerardo Campos mac...@mx1.ibm.com
>Date: 05/23/2002 11:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time

Well, originally Lima, Peru here, (now Glendale, CA) though I left when I
was 9, so I might have just missed it. Thanks to a big family, and living next
to LA, I'm still fluent in Spanish though! : )

Gerardo Campos

May 23, 2002, 5:44:05 PM5/23/02

Thank Hans,

for clarifying this

Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Chris Mattern

May 23, 2002, 6:52:06 PM5/23/02
Peter Svensson wrote:

> Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3CEC95...@worldnet.att.net>...
> > Isn't it Serena and Darian because as homage to bewitched.
>
> Then it would be Darren.

And Samantha (although, I think Sam had a naughty look-alike
cousin (also played by Elizabeth Montgomery--in a black wig)
named Serena).

Chris Mattern

Ethan Hammond

May 23, 2002, 6:55:16 PM5/23/02

In what language?

Doug Jacobs

May 23, 2002, 7:00:58 PM5/23/02
Lord Craxton <cra...@erols.com> wrote:

> "Christopher J. Sypal" <csy...@radiks.net> wrote in message
>> Let it be known that on 21 May 2002 15:18:59 -0700, rgm...@hotmail.com
> (Thik)
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Are there any "urban legends" that sprang up regarding anime in the
>> >last several years?
>>
>> The reason why the last episode of Gunbuster was in B&W was because Gainax
> ran
>> out of money.

> Isn't that the excuse they use for the pretentiously avant-garde Evangelion
> finale as well?

That's what I'd heard... It makes sense to me too.

I'd heard the thing about Gunbuster as well - which would establish a
precedent for Gainax's mismangement of money during a series.

Doug Jacobs

May 23, 2002, 7:28:45 PM5/23/02
Derek Janssen <dja...@ultranet.com> wrote:

> Derek Janssen (did we really NEED Hikaru's nightmare episode?)

I'd say "yes", actually.

Shows that Hikaru is starting to figure things out.

Mark J. Tilford

May 23, 2002, 7:50:09 PM5/23/02

Doesn't Luna appear in the OP to Slayers Next (Though without the "Sorry,
opening only" sign.)? And I've heard that there's at least one eyecatch with
Luna and Dilgear?

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

Jorge R. Frank

May 23, 2002, 7:53:11 PM5/23/02
"Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com> wrote in

> There are a bunch of tall tales about EVA...

Urban Legend: ADV censored its release of Evangelion.

Fact: ADV bought the rights to, and released, the TV version of Evangelion.
The Japanese VHS/DVD releases contained added footage not shown on Japanese
TV.

Then there's the urban legends spawned about Evangelion's links to the Aum
Shinrikyo cult, some of which have a bit of basis in fact.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.

Invid Fan

May 23, 2002, 8:29:30 PM5/23/02
In article <fu1H8.85372$UV4.148493@rwcrnsc54>, Arbane the Terrible
<arb...@attbi.com> wrote:

> Herman Bernard Walker wrote:
>
> > Could this be a mutation of the story/rumor/whatever about _Project A-
> > Ko_ originally being an episode of _Cream Lemon_(ye olde anime pr0n)?
>
> I heard a variation of that about _Iczer-1_ originally being a Cream Lemon,
> also.

Well, it has enough Lemon elements given the lesbian theme. Another
classic anime that was much better before we found out what the actual
dialog was :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Enigma

May 23, 2002, 9:03:58 PM5/23/02
What, you want the pictures?!?

Antaeus Feldspar

May 23, 2002, 8:15:27 PM5/23/02
He's fully right. It has been confirmed that Project A-ko was
originally intended as a Cream Lemon episode, although it would have
been much different, of course, if it had continued as one. It's not
too surprising, either, if some of the episodes that *did* become Cream
Lemon episodes were similar to A-ko, since they were after all by the
same people.

Rob Kelk

May 23, 2002, 9:31:17 PM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 23:50:09 GMT, "Mark J. Tilford"
<til...@ralph.caltech.edu> wrote:

>>> Her only sister? I've only heard of Naga, but from what I hear, it would
>>> explain a lot of her comments about a "brutal sister" . . .
>>
>> You're confusing Amelia's ex-royal sister Naga (which she is, accdg. to
>> the creator backstory) with Lina's "brutal" big sister Luna Inverse, who
>> appears in Slayers Try (sorry, credits only).
>
>Doesn't Luna appear in the OP to Slayers Next (Though without the "Sorry,
>opening only" sign.)? And I've heard that there's at least one eyecatch with
>Luna and Dilgear?

Sort of - she shows up with the sign in the OP to Slayers Try, not
Slayers Next. I don't remember whether the Luna/Dilgear eyecatch is
near the end of either Next or Try, though...
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.tripod.com> robkelk -at- jksrv -dot- com
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of
childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis, 1947

Frank Raymond Michaels

May 23, 2002, 10:54:17 PM5/23/02
On Thu, 23 May 2002 22:55:16 GMT, Ethan Hammond
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Frank Raymond Michaels wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 23 May 2002 07:41:02 GMT, Ethan Hammond
>> <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> >Isn't it Serena and Darian because as homage to bewitched.
>>
>> My own theory is that "Serena" is an Engrish mispronounciation for the
>> name "Selena" -- which means "moon".
>
>In what language?

Originally from Greek.
---
FRM

Frank Raymond Michaels

May 23, 2002, 10:57:36 PM5/23/02

Excuse this utterly naive (I'm sure) question, but who (or what) is
"Cream Lemon"?

-----------
FRM (Sounds.... naughty....)

Lord Craxton

May 23, 2002, 11:08:38 PM5/23/02

"Jorge R. Frank" <jrf...@ibm-pc.borg> wrote in message

> "Lord Craxton" <cra...@erols.com> wrote in
>
> > There are a bunch of tall tales about EVA...
>
> Urban Legend: ADV censored its release of Evangelion.
>
> Fact: ADV bought the rights to, and released, the TV version of
Evangelion.
> The Japanese VHS/DVD releases contained added footage not shown on
Japanese
> TV.
>
> Then there's the urban legends spawned about Evangelion's links to the Aum
> Shinrikyo cult, some of which have a bit of basis in fact.

Huh? Never heard that one... 0_o;;;;;;;;

-Lord Craxton

Lord Craxton

May 23, 2002, 11:11:36 PM5/23/02

"Enigma" <sk...@student.unimelb.edu.au> wrote in message

> What, you want the pictures?!?

Well, now that you mention it... ^____^;;;;;;;;

-Lord Craxton

Richard Hudson

May 23, 2002, 11:51:34 PM5/23/02

>The reason why the last episode of Gunbuster was in B&W was because Gainax
>ran
>out of money.

Look if you have to destroy most of the galaxy to save one dinky planet, isn't
time to just DIE!

Richard Hudson

Donovan Moser

May 24, 2002, 12:11:59 AM5/24/02
>Donovan Moser wrote:
>>
>> There is a rumor that the Japanese Transformers episodes had a decent
>English
>> dub done for them and were ready for US release, but the warehouse they
>were
>> stored in burned down.
>
>The dub wasn't that decent they aired in Hong Kong.

>--
>All Purpose Cultural Randomness
>http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

I've got the Hong Kong dubs on tape, they're pretty funny.. I think the rumor
is that they were dubbed by the G1 cast.

Donovan Moser
drks...@aol.com

Hey, you going to Botcon this year?

Lord Craxton

May 24, 2002, 12:53:43 AM5/24/02

"Frank Raymond Michaels" <fra...@i-2000.com> wrote in message

Indeed it is. ^_^

Cream Lemon is an OVA anthology series (i.e. each tape was a seperate,
isolated story) from I think the mid-80's, which is considered the
forefather of modern hentai. It was not the first attempt to use animation
to erotic ends, but it *was* the first to put a strong emphasis on story,
and therefore is considered a milestone.

I think. ^_^;;;;;;;

-Lord Craxton

Nargun

May 24, 2002, 3:51:32 AM5/24/02
On 23 May 2002, Ken Arromdee wrote:

> In article <543bd046.02052...@posting.google.com>,

> Steve Brandon <kiyon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Or, for that matter, that Usagi was going to be called
> >"Victoria" instead of "Serena"?
>

> This one was real, as far as I know.

What about the rumour that Saban was going to make a live-action SM?

Louis :)
--
Louis Patterson l.patt...@ugrad.unimelb.edu.au
"If you are asked to pass the butter, always remember to pass
the plate as well" - Lennie Lower, "Etiquette without tears"

Ethan Hammond

May 24, 2002, 4:56:55 AM5/24/02
Donovan Moser wrote:

> I've got the Hong Kong dubs on tape, they're pretty funny.. I think the rumor
> is that they were dubbed by the G1 cast.
>
> Donovan Moser
> drks...@aol.com
>
> Hey, you going to Botcon this year?

I wish, but they never hold it close enough.

David Watson

May 24, 2002, 6:18:52 AM5/24/02
Nargun (lou...@student.unimelb.edu.au) writes:
> On 23 May 2002, Ken Arromdee wrote:
>
>> In article <543bd046.02052...@posting.google.com>,
>> Steve Brandon <kiyon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >Or, for that matter, that Usagi was going to be called
>> >"Victoria" instead of "Serena"?
>>
>> This one was real, as far as I know.
>
> What about the rumour that Saban was going to make a live-action SM?
>
> Louis :)

Sadly true. The digitized video of the trailer (combo of live action and
American animation) being played at a con is still out there somewhere.
It's camcordered off the screen in the room and you can hear the other
occupants saying "Oh my gawwwwwwwwd" at the sheer awfulness of it. Fuck
Hail Satan^H^H^HHaim Saban.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (_Stretcher_ CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf [at] ncf [dot] ca

Mark J. Tilford

May 24, 2002, 7:34:14 AM5/24/02
On Fri, 24 May 2002 01:31:17 GMT, Rob Kelk <rob...@ottawa.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 May 2002 23:50:09 GMT, "Mark J. Tilford"
><til...@ralph.caltech.edu> wrote:

>>> You're confusing Amelia's ex-royal sister Naga (which she is, accdg. to
>>> the creator backstory) with Lina's "brutal" big sister Luna Inverse, who
>>> appears in Slayers Try (sorry, credits only).
>>
>>Doesn't Luna appear in the OP to Slayers Next (Though without the "Sorry,
>>opening only" sign.)? And I've heard that there's at least one eyecatch with
>>Luna and Dilgear?
>
> Sort of - she shows up with the sign in the OP to Slayers Try, not
> Slayers Next. I don't remember whether the Luna/Dilgear eyecatch is
> near the end of either Next or Try, though...

Isn't the waitress who appears very briefly in the OP to Next supposed to
be Luna?

Kaitou Juliet

May 24, 2002, 10:11:36 AM5/24/02
aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David Watson) wrote ...

> > What about the rumour that Saban was going to make a live-action SM?
> >
> > Louis :)
>
> Sadly true. The digitized video of the trailer (combo of live action and
> American animation) being played at a con is still out there somewhere.
> It's camcordered off the screen in the room and you can hear the other
> occupants saying "Oh my gawwwwwwwwd" at the sheer awfulness of it.

There's a digital version of it at SVAM (Shinji's Vault of Anime
MiSTings), linked at the top of this page:
http://svamcentral.org/svam/ms-sam.html. View it and weep.

Juliet

Kaitou Juliet

May 24, 2002, 10:18:16 AM5/24/02

> >> My own theory is that "Serena" is an Engrish mispronounciation for the
> >> name "Selena" -- which means "moon".
> >
> >In what language?
>
> Originally from Greek.

"Serena" has a moon connection too, though, since there is a Sea of
Serenity (Mare Serenitatis) on the moon.

Juliet

Arthur Levesque

May 24, 2002, 10:22:54 AM5/24/02
>>My own theory is that "Serena" is an Engrish mispronounciation for the
>>name "Selena" -- which means "moon".

It's also used from time to time in moon references... In "The Moon
Is A Harsh Mistress" (Robert Heinlein, recommended; it was written before
he became a senile pervert) the leader of the revolution for the moon's
independence from Earth was codenamed "Adam Selene".
--
/\ Arthur Levesque <fnord?> http://boog.org & http://DammitJa.net __
\B\ack King of the Potato People & shanana-Cobain <*> Urban Spaceman (oO)

Gerardo Campos

May 24, 2002, 10:25:30 AM5/24/02

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> >From: Gerardo Campos mac...@mx1.ibm.com
> >Date: 05/23/2002 11:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time

> >Endymion",

> >> The DiC dub came before the Spanish dub, so the name exchange actually
> >goes
> >> the other way. Of course, the Spanish dub went all the way . . .
> >>
> >> As for "selena." Where do you live? I've never heard the moon refered
> >> as anything other than "la luna."
> >>
> >> - Vaughner
> >>

> >I live in Guadalajara, Mexico, actually I tried to mean Selene(a), I
> >don't recall
> >its roots, but is often to refere to the people that lives in the moon
> >as
> >"Selenitas"
> >

> Well, originally Lima, Peru here, (now Glendale, CA) though I left when I
> was 9, so I might have just missed it. Thanks to a big family, and living next
> to LA, I'm still fluent in Spanish though! : )

Nice to meet you,

I lived in Rosemead, CA for a year, I went there to study English,

Saludos
Gerardo Campos

It is loading more messages.