(Semi-OT) Why I think WALL-E will do phenomenal in Japan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 1, 2008, 2:47:55 AM7/1/08

Just saw WALL-E with kids late at night in a packed theatre
with a healthy mix of teenagers and other grown-ups with kids:

1. It's about robots.

2. It's about robots in love.

3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;
EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned kinda-tsundere.

4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.

5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.

6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
(Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)

7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.

8. A social criticism about the hazards of over-reliance in technology.

What else?

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 1, 2008, 2:53:42 AM7/1/08
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 2:47am-0400, S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>:

> Just saw WALL-E with kids late at night in a packed theatre
> with a healthy mix of teenagers and other grown-ups with kids:
>
> 1. It's about robots.
>
> 2. It's about robots in love.
>
> 3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;
> EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned kinda-tsundere.
>
> 4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
> particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.
>
> 5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.
>
> 6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
> (Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)
>
> 7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.

7b. Oh, there's a lot of flying, not just once but twice!

sanjian

Jul 1, 2008, 5:23:34 AM7/1/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Just saw WALL-E with kids late at night in a packed theatre
> with a healthy mix of teenagers and other grown-ups with kids:
>
> 1. It's about robots.
>
> 2. It's about robots in love.
>
> 3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;
> EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned
> kinda-tsundere.
>
> 4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
> particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.
>
> 5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.
>
> 6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
> (Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)
>
> 7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki
> blush.

I was already going to skip the movie, but that sealed the deal. No matter
how much Wally may look like Johnny Five.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 1, 2008, 12:10:41 PM7/1/08
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 5:23am-0400, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:

But EVE is elegant! ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 3, 2008, 3:52:33 AM7/3/08
Tue, 1 Jul 2008 2:47am-0400, S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>:

> 7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.

I stand corrected:

http://www.newsarama.com/film/080701-wall-e-lasseter.html

From there, Stanton had to think up the reason why Wall*E was the
loneliest robot in the universe. This was, according to press materials
supplied, probably the longest part of the robot's development process.

"We had no story," said Stanton. "It was sort of this little Robinson
Crusoe kind of little character. [Then we thought] what if mankind had
to leave Earth and somebody forgot to turn the last robot off?
I started to just think of him doing his job every day and compacting
trash that was left on Earth.

One thing Stanton also wants to make abundantly clear is he really
wasn't out to make any political statement about being green, either.
To him, having all humanity leave on a galactic cruise liner while
Wall*E was left to clean the planet was just a storytelling device.

"That was not where I was coming from when I did that stuff," said
Stanton. "I knew I was going into territory that was basically the same
stuff but I don't have a political bent. I don't have an ecological
message to push. I don't mind that it supports that kind of view.
It's certainly a good citizen way to be but everything I wanted to do
was based on the love story.

"I wasn't trying to be anti-anything," says Stanton. "I think I was
just trying to go 'Look, too much of a good thing of anything is a
cautionary tale.' Honestly, everything I did was in reverse.
It was like I've gotta go with trash because I love what it does to my
main character and it's very clear, and then I went backwards from that.

Terrence Briggs

Jul 6, 2008, 11:47:48 AM7/6/08
Cross-posted to rec.arts.animation, cuz... ya know...

On Jul 1, 2:53 am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
wrote:
> Tue, 1 Jul 2008 2:47am-0400, S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>:

> > Just saw WALL-E with kids late at night in a packed theatre
> > with a healthy mix of teenagers and other grown-ups with kids:

Sat next to two adult lovebirds in my theater. To their credit, they
weren't making out. I think...

But yeah, must of the audience that Friday evening was kiddie-kid
collectives and their adult chaperone units corralling them. 75%
full, by my estimate.

> > 1. It's about robots.
>
> > 2. It's about robots in love.

Okay, Mr. Machinehead-with-extra-pouty-Summer Glau-OS-XXX, how well
did Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis do in Japan?

> > 3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;

Kinda bottom-heavy, too. Rusty and all that. The female, on the
other hand...

> >    EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned kinda-tsundere.

Heh. So I wasn't the only one who picked up on the "exotic alien
warrior babe" vibe.

But she looks like an iMac. Oh, Steve Jobs... you product-placing
weasel chairman you :-)

> > 4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
> >    particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.

As I observed elsewhere, the film has only 3 or four major scenes that
are dialogue driven. It's about 75% dialogue-free. That's why its
success astounds me, just a bit, especially among kids. Gives me
additional hope, actually.

> > 5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.

Heh. Japanese-friendly phenomes. (No "L"s or "R"s, though :-P :-P :-
P )

> > 6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
> >    (Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)

Heh. Unlike your average banal anime characters, Wall-E's robot leads
have an English vocabulary of, like, 2 or something ("Wall-E", "E-va",
and "directive").

> > 7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.

Your later post clears that up, by clearing out the room. ("No no
no... it's not environmentally alarmist! Really! I was just being
imaginative!", is my paraphrase.)

> 7b. Oh, there's a lot of flying, not just once but twice!

"Define: dancing"

> > 8. A social criticism about the hazards of over-reliance in technology.

In a CGI animated film, nah!!!! :-)

> > What else?

It's a Pixar film distributed by Disney. The Mouse has Theatrical
Distribution Muscle. The Lamp has Cinematic Currency. It'll destroy
the competition in Japan.

Terrence Briggs, wrangling up some more European animation from
Netflix. Cartoon Noir wasn't enough!
Peace to you...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 6, 2008, 5:57:18 PM7/6/08
Sun, 6 Jul 2008 8:47am-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@lycos.com>:

> Cross-posted to rec.arts.animation, cuz... ya know...

*sigh* Why do you always have to ruin my fun....
I was just waiting for you to do that, slowpoke! ;-p

> On Jul 1, 2:53 am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
> wrote:
> > Tue, 1 Jul 2008 2:47am-0400, S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>:
>
> > > Just saw WALL-E with kids late at night in a packed theatre
> > > with a healthy mix of teenagers and other grown-ups with kids:
>
> Sat next to two adult lovebirds in my theater. To their credit, they
> weren't making out. I think...

The teens are most likely the ones. ;-)

> But yeah, must of the audience that Friday evening was kiddie-kid
> collectives and their adult chaperone units corralling them. 75%
> full, by my estimate.
>
> > > 1. It's about robots.
> >
> > > 2. It's about robots in love.
>
> Okay, Mr. Machinehead-with-extra-pouty-Summer Glau-OS-XXX, how well
> did Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis do in Japan?

Was Metropolis released widely in Japan?

> > > 3. WALL-E is a weak nothing-going-for-him sweet romantic packrat geek;
>
> Kinda bottom-heavy, too. Rusty and all that. The female, on the
> other hand...

I cannot lie: she likes big butts. ^_^
But then, she's an egg.

> > >    EVE is a dominant goddess-powered never-propositioned kinda-tsundere.
>
> Heh. So I wasn't the only one who picked up on the "exotic alien
> warrior babe" vibe.

Who wouldn't?! She was/is scary! 0_0

> But she looks like an iMac. Oh, Steve Jobs... you product-placing
> weasel chairman you :-)

This iMac? http://www.theapplecollection.com/iMac/iMacGirl.shtml

Or reverse OS-tan (hardware, instead of software)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

> > > 4. There's hardly any dialogue to lose in translation
> > >    particularly in the first act, ~1/3rd of the movie.
>
> As I observed elsewhere, the film has only 3 or four major scenes that
> are dialogue driven. It's about 75% dialogue-free. That's why its
> success astounds me, just a bit, especially among kids. Gives me
> additional hope, actually.

Picture-driven story than constant yapping?
Are you going to complain like Kung Fu Panda? ^0^

> > > 5. WALL-E already mispronounces EVE's name as EV-uh.
>
> Heh. Japanese-friendly phenomes. (No "L"s or "R"s, though :-P :-P :-
> P )

My little god-daughter kept wondering why WALL-E kept mispronouncing. ^_^
("Her name's EVE! Not EV-uh! Why is he calling her that?!")

> > > 6. The two protagonists just keep saying their names.
> > >    (Have you noticed that Japanese charas say names way too often?)
>
> Heh. Unlike your average banal anime characters, Wall-E's robot leads
> have an English vocabulary of, like, 2 or something ("Wall-E", "E-va",
> and "directive").

This ain't no Pokemon!

> > > 7. A future environmental moral message that'd make Hayao Miyazaki blush.
>
> Your later post clears that up, by clearing out the room. ("No no
> no... it's not environmentally alarmist! Really! I was just being
> imaginative!", is my paraphrase.)

Hmmmm... but would Miyazaki still appreciate it?

> > 7b. Oh, there's a lot of flying, not just once but twice!
>
> "Define: dancing"

Ha! That was corny of you. ^_^

> > > 8. A social criticism about the hazards of over-reliance in technology.
>
> In a CGI animated film, nah!!!! :-)

Ironic.

> > > What else?
>
> It's a Pixar film distributed by Disney. The Mouse has Theatrical
> Distribution Muscle. The Lamp has Cinematic Currency. It'll destroy
> the competition in Japan.

Well, besides that!
But would you go out on a limb and say it'll outdraw Spirited Away? >;-]

> Terrence Briggs, wrangling up some more European animation from
> Netflix. Cartoon Noir wasn't enough!
> Peace to you...

Try Russian: http://tinyurl.com/5r8o9p

Laters. =)

Stan

Terrence Briggs

Jul 11, 2008, 9:49:27 PM7/11/08
Warning: Geekspeak ahoy...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Sun, 6 Jul 2008 8:47am-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@lycos.com>:
>
> > Cross-posted to rec.arts.animation, cuz... ya know...
> >

> *sigh* Why do you always have to ruin my fun....
> I was just waiting for you to do that, slowpoke! ;-p

Keeping relevant secrets from big-daddy, low-traffic animation
newsgroup is not fun :-P

> > On Jul 1, 2:53�am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
> > wrote:

> > Sat next to two adult lovebirds in my theater. To their credit, they
> > weren't making out. I think...
> >

> The teens are most likely the ones. ;-)

I didn't ask if they were legal or anything. I'm not THAT kind of
journalist.

> > But yeah, must of the audience that Friday evening was kiddie-kid
> > collectives and their adult chaperone units corralling them. 75%
> > full, by my estimate.

> > Okay, Mr. Machinehead-with-extra-pouty-Summer Glau-OS-XXX, how well
> > did Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis do in Japan?
> >

> Was Metropolis released widely in Japan?

Dunno. Aren't you our man in Japan with the news articles and stuff?

> > Kinda bottom-heavy, too. Rusty and all that. The female, on the
> > other hand...

> I cannot lie: she likes big butts. ^_^
> But then, she's an egg.

Ha! Good one.

> > Heh. So I wasn't the only one who picked up on the "exotic alien
> > warrior babe" vibe.

> Who wouldn't?! She was/is scary! 0_0

But.. not all guys equate "scary warrior chicks" with "babe"

> > But she looks like an iMac. Oh, Steve Jobs... you product-placing
> > weasel chairman you :-)
> >

> This iMac? http://www.theapplecollection.com/iMac/iMacGirl.shtml

Ew. Otaku Mac pr0n. Don't do that.

> Or reverse OS-tan (hardware, instead of software)?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan

Lemme guess, Unix is the one with the glasses, and the Mac OS 9 is the
pretty ditz? :-)

> > As I observed elsewhere, the film has only 3 or four major scenes that
> > are dialogue driven. It's about 75% dialogue-free. That's why its
> > success astounds me, just a bit, especially among kids. Gives me
> > additional hope, actually.

> Picture-driven story than constant yapping?
> Are you going to complain like Kung Fu Panda? ^0^

Maybe if there were a LOT less Jack Black, and Dustin Hoffman, I
wouldn't have complained. And yet, I would probably complain, "Why
hire Jack Black if you're not gonna have him say anything and
everything that's on his mind during every second of his character's
screen time? Oh, right... STUNT CASTING!!!!"

> > Heh. Japanese-friendly phenomes. (No "L"s or "R"s, though :-P :-P :-
> > P )
> >

> My little god-daughter kept wondering why WALL-E kept mispronouncing. ^_^
> ("Her name's EVE! Not EV-uh! Why is he calling her that?!")

That's some castellan you got there. She's gonna be just like me when
she grows up.

> > Heh. Unlike your average banal anime characters, Wall-E's robot leads
> > have an English vocabulary of, like, 2 or something ("Wall-E", "E-va",
> > and "directive").
> >

> This ain't no Pokemon!

Well, at least Pikachu has infinite variations on its 3-word
vocabulary.

> > Your later post clears that up, by clearing out the room. ("No no
> > no... it's not environmentally alarmist! Really! I was just being
> > imaginative!", is my paraphrase.)
> >

> Hmmmm... but would Miyazaki still appreciate it?

Heh. He'd probably grin at the subconscious messages he's implanted
into the minds of Hollywood's premiere animators. "It's working! And
they don't even suspect!"

BTW, NPR's Fresh Air interviewed Wall-E director Andrew Stanton on
Thursday, 7/10/08. Got that podcast!

> > > 7b. Oh, there's a lot of flying, not just once but twice!
> >
> > "Define: dancing"
> >

> Ha! That was corny of you. ^_^

It was corny of the movie, too!

> > In a CGI animated film, nah!!!! :-)
> >

> Ironic.

Or hypocritical. But we reserve hypocricy charges for Dreamworks
films, don't we? :-)

> > It's a Pixar film distributed by Disney. The Mouse has Theatrical
> > Distribution Muscle. The Lamp has Cinematic Currency. It'll destroy
> > the competition in Japan.
> >

> Well, besides that!
> But would you go out on a limb and say it'll outdraw Spirited Away? >;-]

Hell-the-funk no. Nothing will, until the next Titanic or something.

What does the Japanese box office look like, anyway? Something
like...

1) Spirited Away
2) Howl's Moving Castle
3) Titanic
4) Princess Mononoke
5) E.T.

Maybe it'll beat E.T.

In this country, I believe Wall-E will beat Incredibles (which had a
similar-sized opening, but kinda underperformed over the long haul),
but not Finding Nemo.

> > Terrence Briggs, wrangling up some more European animation from
> > Netflix. Cartoon Noir wasn't enough!
> > Peace to you...
> >

> Try Russian: http://tinyurl.com/5r8o9p

You could just give me the title, dude. I was reading the post
offline, and couldn't follow the link.

Terrence Briggs, soldiering through ChopSocky Chooks timeshifts. J.D.
Smith, where aren't thou?
Peace to you...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 12, 2008, 12:47:26 AM7/12/08
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 6:49pm-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@lycos.com>:

> Warning: Geekspeak ahoy...
>
> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> > Sun, 6 Jul 2008 8:47am-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1...@lycos.com>:
> >
> > > Cross-posted to rec.arts.animation, cuz... ya know...
> > >

> > *sigh* Why do you always have to ruin my fun....
> > I was just waiting for you to do that, slowpoke! ;-p
>
> Keeping relevant secrets from big-daddy, low-traffic animation
> newsgroup is not fun :-P

And it hath begun!

Can WALL-E Win Best Picture?
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1820824,00.html

> > > Sat next to two adult lovebirds in my theater. To their credit, they
> > > weren't making out. I think...
> > >

> > The teens are most likely the ones. ;-)
>
> I didn't ask if they were legal or anything. I'm not THAT kind of
> journalist.

A journalist shouldn't be afraid to seek the truth. *tsk*tsk*
Speaking of, those 2 Chun-Li girls are still looking for their article.

> > > But yeah, must of the audience that Friday evening was kiddie-kid
> > > collectives and their adult chaperone units corralling them. 75%
> > > full, by my estimate.

> > > Okay, Mr. Machinehead-with-extra-pouty-Summer Glau-OS-XXX, how well
> > > did Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis do in Japan?
> > >

> > Was Metropolis released widely in Japan?
>
> Dunno. Aren't you our man in Japan with the news articles and stuff?

When was that?! Not in Japan. ^_^

> > > Kinda bottom-heavy, too. Rusty and all that. The female, on the
> > > other hand...
>
> > I cannot lie: she likes big butts. ^_^
> > But then, she's an egg.
>
> Ha! Good one.

Good that you still have that sense of humor.

> > > Heh. So I wasn't the only one who picked up on the "exotic alien
> > > warrior babe" vibe.
>
> > Who wouldn't?! She was/is scary! 0_0
>
> But.. not all guys equate "scary warrior chicks" with "babe"

Guys are always fond of gals who could kick their butts. ^_^
(But sweet on the inside - tsundere.)

> > > But she looks like an iMac. Oh, Steve Jobs... you product-placing
> > > weasel chairman you :-)
> > >

> > This iMac? http://www.theapplecollection.com/iMac/iMacGirl.shtml
>
> Ew. Otaku Mac pr0n. Don't do that.

Dude! She's wearing an 1-piece!

> > Or reverse OS-tan (hardware, instead of software)?
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan
>
> Lemme guess, Unix is the one with the glasses, and the Mac OS 9 is the
> pretty ditz? :-)

No. If you had clicked on the link, you'd know! ^_^

> > > As I observed elsewhere, the film has only 3 or four major scenes that
> > > are dialogue driven. It's about 75% dialogue-free. That's why its
> > > success astounds me, just a bit, especially among kids. Gives me
> > > additional hope, actually.
>
> > Picture-driven story than constant yapping?
> > Are you going to complain like Kung Fu Panda? ^0^
>
> Maybe if there were a LOT less Jack Black, and Dustin Hoffman, I
> wouldn't have complained. And yet, I would probably complain, "Why
> hire Jack Black if you're not gonna have him say anything and
> everything that's on his mind during every second of his character's
> screen time? Oh, right... STUNT CASTING!!!!"

I knew you'd understand.

> > > Heh. Japanese-friendly phenomes. (No "L"s or "R"s, though :-P :-P :-
> > > P )
> > >

> > My little god-daughter kept wondering why WALL-E kept mispronouncing. ^_^
> > ("Her name's EVE! Not EV-uh! Why is he calling her that?!")
>
> That's some castellan you got there. She's gonna be just like me when
> she grows up.

Not how you portray yourself! ;-p

> > > Heh. Unlike your average banal anime characters, Wall-E's robot leads
> > > have an English vocabulary of, like, 2 or something ("Wall-E", "E-va",
> > > and "directive").
> > >

> > This ain't no Pokemon!
>
> Well, at least Pikachu has infinite variations on its 3-word
> vocabulary.

> > > Your later post clears that up, by clearing out the room. ("No no
> > > no... it's not environmentally alarmist! Really! I was just being
> > > imaginative!", is my paraphrase.)
> > >

> > Hmmmm... but would Miyazaki still appreciate it?
>
> Heh. He'd probably grin at the subconscious messages he's implanted
> into the minds of Hollywood's premiere animators. "It's working! And
> they don't even suspect!"
>
> BTW, NPR's Fresh Air interviewed Wall-E director Andrew Stanton on
> Thursday, 7/10/08. Got that podcast!

Good you got it!

> > > "Define: dancing"
> > >

> > Ha! That was corny of you. ^_^
>
> It was corny of the movie, too!

Nah, it's just you. ^_^

> > > In a CGI animated film, nah!!!! :-)
> > >

> > Ironic.
>
> Or hypocritical. But we reserve hypocricy charges for Dreamworks
> films, don't we? :-)

The difference being reliance vs. over-reliance.

> > > It's a Pixar film distributed by Disney. The Mouse has Theatrical
> > > Distribution Muscle. The Lamp has Cinematic Currency. It'll destroy
> > > the competition in Japan.
> > >

> > Well, besides that!
> > But would you go out on a limb and say it'll outdraw Spirited Away? >;-]
>
> Hell-the-funk no. Nothing will, until the next Titanic or something.
>
> What does the Japanese box office look like, anyway? Something
> like...
>
> 1) Spirited Away
> 2) Howl's Moving Castle
> 3) Titanic
> 4) Princess Mononoke
> 5) E.T.

A year old:

<http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070624062027AAaCZ8V>

1. Spirited Away, 2001, $228.6 million
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, 2002, $142.8 million
3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, 2001, $127.7 million
4. Titanic, 1997, $101.8 million
5. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, 2002, $59.2 million
6. Star Wars, Episode 1: The Phantom Menace, 1999, $50.8 million
7. Princess Mononoke, 1997, $50.0 million
8. The Case Book of Young Kindaichi, 1997, $47.6 million
9. Armageddon, 1998, $45.5 million
10. Independence Day, 1996, $44.2 million

> Maybe it'll beat E.T.
>
> In this country, I believe Wall-E will beat Incredibles (which had a
> similar-sized opening, but kinda underperformed over the long haul),
> but not Finding Nemo.

Yeah, among kids, fish will always beat love story.

> > > Terrence Briggs, wrangling up some more European animation from
> > > Netflix. Cartoon Noir wasn't enough!
> > > Peace to you...
> > >

> > Try Russian: http://tinyurl.com/5r8o9p
>
> You could just give me the title, dude. I was reading the post
> offline, and couldn't follow the link.

It's not a title. ;-)

Terrence Briggs

Jul 18, 2008, 10:20:30 PM7/18/08
Don't let our in-jokes and all-purpose geekery put anyone off. Feel
free to chime in, in a diplomatic way.

On Jul 12, 12:47 am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
wrote:
> Fri, 11 Jul 2008 6:49pm-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1mrm...@lycos.com>:

> > Warning: Geekspeak ahoy...
>
> > S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> > > Sun, 6 Jul 2008 8:47am-0700, Terrence Briggs <mrman1mrm...@lycos.com>:

<snip>

> And it hath begun!
>
>      Can WALL-E Win Best Picture?
>      http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1820824,00.html

Only if Dark Knight doesn't steal it!!!!!

Pipe down, buzz-pumpers; it's only July. The Oscar bait doesn't roll
in until September :-P

> > > The teens are most likely the ones.  ;-)
>
> > I didn't ask if they were legal or anything.  I'm not THAT kind of
> > journalist.
>
> A journalist shouldn't be afraid to seek the truth.  *tsk*tsk*

I'm a *scrupulous* journalist, not some nosy TMZ spy...

> Speaking of, those 2 Chun-Li girls are still looking for their article.

=========BEGIN ARTICLE============
Intrepid Convention Noob Photographs Marketers Posing as Chun Li
Facsimiles
by Terrence Briggs

Nuff said.

[freelance photographer Stanlee D contributed to this report]
=========END ARTICLE===========

<snip>

> > > Was Metropolis released widely in Japan?
>
> > Dunno.  Aren't you our man in Japan with the news articles and stuff?
>
> When was that?!  Not in Japan.  ^_^

So... you don't know either.

> > > I cannot lie: she likes big butts.  ^_^
> > > But then, she's an egg.
>
> > Ha!  Good one.
>
> Good that you still have that sense of humor.

I have a sense of smell, if that's what you're implying :-)

> > > Who wouldn't?!  She was/is scary!  0_0
>
> > But.. not all guys equate "scary warrior chicks" with "babe"
>
> Guys are always fond of gals who could kick their butts.  ^_^

Really? Most guys I know prefer the shrinking violet, passive
ladies. Ya know: Belldandy :-P

> (But sweet on the inside - tsundere.)

For the n00bs... "Define: tsundere"

A term used to describe behavior that seems harsh on the outside, but
caring on the inside.
[chewyanime.wordpress.com/otaku-terms/]

is a Japanese character archetype describing an initially combative
personality, which eventually becomes loving and emotionally
vulnerable ...
[en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere]

Ripley
[Sigourney Weaver's voice]

> > > This iMac?  http://www.theapplecollection.com/iMac/iMacGirl.shtml
>
> > Ew.  Otaku Mac pr0n.  Don't do that.
>
> Dude!  She's wearing an 1-piece!

Suitable for the [PG-rated] Animated Lust website, then? Tell it to
Human Resources...

> > > Or reverse OS-tan (hardware, instead of software)?
> > >      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-tan
>
> > Lemme guess, Unix is the one with the glasses, and the Mac OS 9 is the
> > pretty ditz? :-)
>
> No.  If you had clicked on the link, you'd know!  ^_^

Dude, I'm spending way too much time research Metropolis' Japanese
theatrical release. Don't make me research OS otaku loli stuff...

<snip>

> > > My little god-daughter kept wondering why WALL-E kept mispronouncing.  ^_^
> > > ("Her name's EVE!  Not EV-uh!  Why is he calling her that?!")
>
> > That's some castellan you got there.  She's gonna be just like me when
> > she grows up.
>
> Not how you portray yourself!  ;-p

What part of the portrait do you want avoided, then? :-)

<snip>

> > > Hmmmm... but would Miyazaki still appreciate it?
>
> > Heh.  He'd probably grin at the subconscious messages he's implanted
> > into the minds of Hollywood's premiere animators.  "It's working!  And
> > they don't even suspect!"
>
> > BTW, NPR's Fresh Air interviewed Wall-E director Andrew Stanton on
> > Thursday, 7/10/08.  Got that podcast!
>
> Good you got it!

I buried it under all of my other NPR podcasts, apparently. I'll dig
it out later.

> > > Ha!  That was corny of you.  ^_^
>
> > It was corny of the movie, too!
>
> Nah, it's just you.  ^_^

And where do you think I got it from?

> > > Ironic.
>
> > Or hypocritical.  But we reserve hypocricy charges for Dreamworks
> > films, don't we? :-)
>
> The difference being reliance vs. over-reliance.

That's too nuanced an argument for Dreamworks haters :-)

That can't be right. I thought PM beat E.T. to become the all-time
champ, not ID4.

> > Maybe it'll beat E.T.
>
> > In this country, I believe Wall-E will beat Incredibles (which had a
> > similar-sized opening, but kinda underperformed over the long haul),
> > but not Finding Nemo.
>
> Yeah, among kids, fish will always beat love story.

Well, my prediction's looking a little shaky. Wall-E isn't holding up
as well as I had hoped.

> > > Try Russian:  http://tinyurl.com/5r8o9p
>
> > You could just give me the title, dude.  I was reading the post
> > offline, and couldn't follow the link.
>
> It's not a title.  ;-)

Well, if you'd TELL me this stuff, so I don't have to run to the
library to link to it... :-)

Terrence Briggs, got Vexille from Netflix. Man, the English track is
*SO* much better than the Japanese sub.
Peace to you...