Differences Between Go-Lion and Voltron

Michael Ejercito

Jul 2, 2001, 11:38:31 PM7/2/01
What are the differences between Go-Lion and Voltron?

Michael

WizyWyg

Jul 3, 2001, 12:33:46 AM7/3/01
http://www.arus.org/voltron/

"Michael Ejercito" <meje...@csulb.edu> wrote in message

stephen.harper2

Jul 3, 2001, 4:26:03 AM7/3/01

WizyWyg <wiz...@nnnnhotmail.com> wrote in message
Go-Lion is the Japanese name for the original series, Voltron is the name
given to the dubbed American series.
Both are identical apart from the name.

Sharper58

WizyWyg

Jul 3, 2001, 3:06:01 PM7/3/01

> There used to be a web site that deals with the differences between
Voltron and
> Go-Lion years ago, but it had long closed. All the information I know come
from
> that web site.
>
> -Thik

Said webpage was pulled down because the owner of the site was found guilty
of harassing fans of the series and commting fraud by posting adult ads and
what not on pages under fans names and email addresses. He even hijacked
another fan's website and admitted to it after she was going to sue him for
harassment.

Also said site stole information from another person, and never gave claim.

If you need more info on voltron, I have both series

Michael Ejercito

Jul 3, 2001, 11:44:54 PM7/3/01
On 3 Jul 2001 07:31:50 -0700, Thik <th...@nospammail.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3b413e16...@news.csulb.edu>, meje...@csulb.edu says...

>> What are the differences between Go-Lion and Voltron?
>>

>> Michael
>

>Micheal, there are numberous differences that I could not listed them all. I was
>able to watch all the Voltron episodes, but only 18 Go-Lion episodes (raw) to
>give the differences. Here are the major differences:
>
>a) In Go-lion, the robot's origins are unknown. It is unknown who built him, but
>he has a reputation as a braggard who boasts that he is the best robot in the
>universe by fighting giant space monsters. One day, he challenged the "Goddess
>of the Universe" to a duel and lost. She punished Go-lion by breaking him into
>five robot lions which crashed into Planet Altea (Arus in Voltron). The king of
>that planet found uses of the robot lions that crashed and make them as part of
>a fighting force. Unfortunately, the king died and his idea of making the robot
>lions into a fighting force will be a reality when five space adventurers were
>chosen to fight against the Galra Empire (Planet Doom).
>
>In Voltron, the robot's origins are known. He was the creation of the late King
>of Arus and was not depicted as a braggard. He is depicted as the "Defender of
>the Universe" who thwarts Planet Doom's efforts everytime. One day, a witch in
>service of the King of Planet Doom lured Voltron as a Space Goddess as to
>destroy him, but her magic did not work. Instead, her magic made Voltron break
>into five robot lions which crashed into Planet Arus. In Voltron, his legend is
>well known to the heroes and villains of the series.
Actually, the robot's origin is still unknown. It was there when
Ariella crashed on Planet Arus. King Alfor, her distant descendant,
had the parts rebuilt as robot lions after Hagar broke them apart.

By the way, King Alfor was operating Voltron when it was split up.
>b) In Go-lion, little is known of who the young men who would pilot Go-lion are.
>What is known that they originally came from Earth, but saw their world
>destroyed by a nuclear war. As they were surveying Earth, they were captured by
>a Galra slaveship and became captives on Planet Galra. They were able to escape
>by taking the same slaveship which they were captures and crashed-landed on
>Planet Altea. They have no idea what planet they were in until the end of the
>second episode. The young men are ignorant of Go-lion, but decided to help the
>people of Altea fight against the Galra Empire by becoming Go-lion pilots.
It seems that the Galra Empire attacked Earth.
>In Voltron, the young men are space explorers as members of Galaxy Garrison, an
>inter-galatic military force. They came to Planet Arus to follow the invasion by
>Planet Doom of Arus, but were captured in Arus by a Doom slaveship. They escaped
>and crashed on Planet Arus. They came to the planet to find and pilot Voltron to
>defend the universe against Planet Doom.

>c) Voltron, to the suprise of many anime fans, is a heavily-edited version of
>Go-lion. Most cuts were to remove graphic violent and blood scenes. Some scene
>were cut to remove any mention of death. I would say that Go-Lion is as violent
>as some of the popular anime titles today.
They should had kept the references to death. it is hard to imagine
a war where no one dies.

Michael

_

WizyWyg

Jul 4, 2001, 5:13:55 PM7/4/01

> > It seems that the Galra Empire attacked Earth.
>
> The Galra Empire had no intention of attacking Earth until later on the
series.
> Unfortunately, I do not have a translation of that episode to see what was
its
> intentions on sending missiles to an already devestated Earth.

Well that's easy to decipher since i have the translated version of that
episode ^_^

Galra attacked the "destroyed" Earth to get at the nerves of the Teenagers
who fly Golion. What better way to hurt your nemesis than to destroy what
"evidence" of a the only home they knew of? Even if its been devastated by
World War III. It's like anyone who holds on to a piece of property as long
as they can, because its the only piece of tangible property that reminds
them of something very special. Earth was their home. They were devastated
to see that it was destroyed by World War III. and they were captured by the
Galra forces before they could find out what happened (well its obvious what
happened) but to see if there was anyone else alive. To hold onto that
belief that out of the billions of people who inhabited the Earth, the only
5 to make it was them? Its a case of denial.

When Galra destroyed the Earth, it was a sign that they wanted to hurt them.
They wanted to prolong their grief, and to finally see the destruction of a
planet that they only knew of as "home" would be the end of everything they
had believed in. But in the end it was Princess Fahra (Allura) who made them
realize that "home is where the heart is" (that's the actual freaking
message of that episode, can you believe that?), and that their home was now
on her planet of Altea.

> > They should had kept the references to death. it is hard to imagine
> >a war where no one dies.
> >

> By removing the death scenes, it makes Voltron a less believable series.
Some of
> the cuts in Voltron are quite obvious even if you never watched Go-Lion.
One
> character was merged with another in Voltron to keep him "alive."

Well, we can't hold WEP totally responsible for the edits done to the
cartoons of the 80's, because at the time, "parents' were complaining about
all the references of "death" in what kids were watching (and I wont go into
that argument). A lot was changed to appeal to the parents as well as kids.
But we can't all say that when we were kids in the 80's, we didn't enjoy
Voltron as it was presented now can we? Its like how most of us enjoyed
Roboetech, because WE DIDN't know that it was edited. Same goes for voltron
or any other series. We can say "now" that we wish there wasn't any edits
done, but what does our "opinions" of today have to do with what we liked or
disliked 17 years ago?

There is a lot of things (besides the death and edited scenes) in voltron
that weren't addresses or "changed" to be more accepting:

1. Lotor's (Sincline's) dream of "Allura" when in fact it was of his mother
(damn I forget which episode that was called). Sinclines infatuation with
the PRincess Fahra in Golion is strictly of the Oedipus Complex, and that
his "infatuation" is the result of his father (Daibazaral) murdering his
mother when he was just a child (and he subsequently dismissed/forgot about
that fact). In Voltron, the dreams were dismissed as his undying "love" for
the princess Allura (surely they couldn't explain why she had a different
hair style in his dreams though)

2. The heavy usage of Greek Mythology in Golion (which is kind of why we
have the introduction of the Oedipus Complex in Sincline). The "goddess of
the universe" is a reflection of several: Rhea, Gaea, Pheobe and Tethys.

3. The Shirogane factor (where he ACTUallY did die and it was his brother
who was found on Galra instead of Shirogane/Sven) Brother was also captured
by Galra's forces (guess the original 5 wasn't the only one who survived).

Other isntances of "death" that was subdued in Golion:

The "Berets" who actually killed everyone on that "tractor" instead of they
disappearing
Sincline actually dying in the end of Golion.
"Garret" (dont have that episode where coran thought it was his son) who
killed the guards (and saying they were robots - but the blood steaks told
otherwise).

Many more.

I for one take Voltron and Golion as two separate "storeis" and judge them
on what I know that I enjoyed about the series. I enjoyed Voltron 17 years
ago when I thought it was the coolest series, and reflect that I still enjoy
the series today. I look at Golion today, seeing the darker themes that I
believe would have been inappropriate for little kids (at the time) to see.
Its nice to see the difference between the two, but I treat each
differently. I enjoy both.

Michael Ejercito

Jul 5, 2001, 11:47:47 PM7/5/01
On 3 Jul 2001 22:02:49 -0700, Thik <th...@nospammail.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3b42901c...@news.csulb.edu>, meje...@csulb.edu says...

>> Actually, the robot's origin is still unknown. It was there when
>>Ariella crashed on Planet Arus. King Alfor, her distant descendant,
>>had the parts rebuilt as robot lions after Hagar broke them apart.
>>

>Ariella was a character from "Voltron: The Third Dimension," a CGI series which
>seems to contradict things from the original Voltron: Defender of the Universe."
>It is beyond the scope of this post to give contradictions between the original
>and the CGI series. "Voltron: The Third Dimension" was produced by World Events
>Productions (dubber of Go-lion) and Netter Digital.

>> It seems that the Galra Empire attacked Earth.
>

>The Galra Empire had no intention of attacking Earth until later on the series.
>Unfortunately, I do not have a translation of that episode to see what was its
>intentions on sending missiles to an already devestated Earth.

So who attacked Earth in the beginning of Go-Lion?

>> They should had kept the references to death. it is hard to imagine
>>a war where no one dies.
>>

>By removing the death scenes, it makes Voltron a less believable series. Some of
>the cuts in Voltron are quite obvious even if you never watched Go-Lion. One
>character was merged with another in Voltron to keep him "alive."

Who?

Michael

_

Michael Ejercito

Jul 5, 2001, 11:53:53 PM7/5/01
On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 21:13:55 GMT, "WizyWyg" <wiz...@nnnnhotmail.com>
wrote:

>> > It seems that the Galra Empire attacked Earth.
>>
>> The Galra Empire had no intention of attacking Earth until later on the
>series.
>> Unfortunately, I do not have a translation of that episode to see what was
>its
>> intentions on sending missiles to an already devestated Earth.
>>

>Well that's easy to decipher since i have the translated version of that
>episode ^_^
>
>Galra attacked the "destroyed" Earth to get at the nerves of the Teenagers
>who fly Golion. What better way to hurt your nemesis than to destroy what
>"evidence" of a the only home they knew of? Even if its been devastated by
>World War III. It's like anyone who holds on to a piece of property as long
>as they can, because its the only piece of tangible property that reminds
>them of something very special. Earth was their home. They were devastated
>to see that it was destroyed by World War III. and they were captured by the
>Galra forces before they could find out what happened (well its obvious what
>happened) but to see if there was anyone else alive. To hold onto that
>belief that out of the billions of people who inhabited the Earth, the only
>5 to make it was them? Its a case of denial.

Who first attacked Earth?

>When Galra destroyed the Earth, it was a sign that they wanted to hurt them.
>They wanted to prolong their grief, and to finally see the destruction of a
>planet that they only knew of as "home" would be the end of everything they
>had believed in. But in the end it was Princess Fahra (Allura) who made them
>realize that "home is where the heart is" (that's the actual freaking
>message of that episode, can you believe that?), and that their home was now
>on her planet of Altea.

They actually destroyed Earth? I did not know the Galra Empire had
such weapons.

It seems that in Voltron, Lotor's mother is dead just like her
counterpart in Go-Lion. It was never explained how Lotor's mother
died.

>2. The heavy usage of Greek Mythology in Golion (which is kind of why we
>have the introduction of the Oedipus Complex in Sincline). The "goddess of
>the universe" is a reflection of several: Rhea, Gaea, Pheobe and Tethys.
>
>3. The Shirogane factor (where he ACTUallY did die and it was his brother
>who was found on Galra instead of Shirogane/Sven) Brother was also captured
>by Galra's forces (guess the original 5 wasn't the only one who survived).

So his brother later flew the Blue Lion.

>Other isntances of "death" that was subdued in Golion:
>
>The "Berets" who actually killed everyone on that "tractor" instead of they
>disappearing
>Sincline actually dying in the end of Golion.
>"Garret" (dont have that episode where coran thought it was his son) who
>killed the guards (and saying they were robots - but the blood steaks told
>otherwise).

Well, the head-to-toe armor that the Doom soldiers wear makes it
hard to distinguish them from robots. Even so, there arte tell-tale
signs, such as saliva and yawning.

And some of those soldiers might have more robot than organic
parts.

>Many more.
>
>I for one take Voltron and Golion as two separate "storeis" and judge them
>on what I know that I enjoyed about the series. I enjoyed Voltron 17 years
>ago when I thought it was the coolest series, and reflect that I still enjoy
>the series today. I look at Golion today, seeing the darker themes that I
>believe would have been inappropriate for little kids (at the time) to see.
>Its nice to see the difference between the two, but I treat each
>differently. I enjoy both.

Well, even when I was a kid, I knew that people died in the Voltron
series. Obviously, people were killed when Arus was nuked.

Michael

_

_

Michael Ejercito

Jul 7, 2001, 4:44:05 PM7/7/01
On 6 Jul 2001 07:01:16 -0700, Thik <th...@nospammail.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3b4534a5...@tabloid.csulb.edu>, meje...@csulb.edu says...
>>
><snip>

>>>The Galra Empire had no intention of attacking Earth until later on the series.
>>>Unfortunately, I do not have a translation of that episode to see what was its
>>>intentions on sending missiles to an already devestated Earth.
>>>
>> So who attacked Earth in the beginning of Go-Lion?
>

>According to a translation I have, the nations of Earth are fighting a world
>war. It was the "West" against the "East." It seems that the producers of
>Go-lion are predicting how the Cold War between the U.S. and the former Soviet
>Union be like in a nuclear war. Remember, that Go-lion was produced in 1981,
>years before the fall of Communism in Europe.
Well, it is a funny coincidence that the Galra Empire just arrived.
What is app[arent is that humans had been colonizing other worlds for
centuries before this war.

><snip>

>>>By removing the death scenes, it makes Voltron a less believable series. Some of
>>>the cuts in Voltron are quite obvious even if you never watched Go-Lion. One
>>>character was merged with another in Voltron to keep him "alive."
>
>> Who?
>>

>Merging the appearance of Shirogane with what is believed to be his brother. It
>creates many continuation problems.
Actually, it was handled pretty well.

Michael

Moongirl

Jul 9, 2001, 9:04:31 PM7/9/01
Seems that you guys did get to see the original Go-Lion series. Where
can I get a copy of a subbed version of this series because I would
love to see the original.

tsukino...@mindspring.com

On 3 Jul 2001 07:31:50 -0700, Thik <th...@nospammail.nospam> wrote:

>In article <3b413e16...@news.csulb.edu>, meje...@csulb.edu says...

Bruce Grubb

Jul 9, 2001, 11:28:26 PM7/9/01
In article <9i4gb...@drn.newsguy.com>, Thik <th...@nospammail.nospam>
wrote:

>In article <3b4534a5...@tabloid.csulb.edu>, meje...@csulb.edu says...
>>
><snip>
>

>>>The Galra Empire had no intention of attacking Earth until later on the
>>>series.
>>>Unfortunately, I do not have a translation of that episode to see what was
>>>its
>>>intentions on sending missiles to an already devestated Earth.
>>>
>> So who attacked Earth in the beginning of Go-Lion?
>

>According to a translation I have, the nations of Earth are fighting a world
>war. It was the "West" against the "East." It seems that the producers of
>Go-lion are predicting how the Cold War between the U.S. and the former Soviet
>Union be like in a nuclear war. Remember, that Go-lion was produced in 1981,
>years before the fall of Communism in Europe.

The idea that the Cold War would turn hot was common theme since the
mid-1960s. Interesting varients had the US and Russia uniting against China
(ex President's Plane is Missing). It is a suprizing old chestnut.