[Semi-OT] _Wired_ article: Xbox to come with DOAX hug pillows

Skip to the first unread message

John C. Watson

10 Feb 2004, 08:13:4310/02/2004
"Getting in Bed With the Customer"

<http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,62176,00.html>

--
Ciao,
John

John C. Watson
World Otakunization Project, Amherst Division

<http://admin.engr.wisc.edu/IT/netiq.cfm>

Chika

10 Feb 2004, 08:24:4710/02/2004
In article <BC4E4336.2FE9B%jwat...@comcast.net>,

John C. Watson <jwat...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Getting in Bed With the Customer"

> <http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,62176,00.html>

XBOX - the worst performing console in the country's history. I just LOVE
that line!!!

As for the pillow... hmm... ^^

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Even if you're not, be brave, no one can tell the difference.

Julian Fong

10 Feb 2004, 15:36:1810/02/2004
Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:
>As for the pillow... hmm... ^^

It's funny how the Asterope has sort of become Kasumi's signature
suit, even though it actually belongs to Tina. For an image on
a dakimakura, maybe it's more appropriate for Kasumi to be wearing
the Acapulco:
http://www.neotaku.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6307

...except that it's the only pink suit in the game she doesn't like.

--
Julian Fong
jhf...@aol.comXYZZY

Ethan Hammond

10 Feb 2004, 19:00:3110/02/2004
"John C. Watson" <jwat...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Getting in Bed With the Customer"
>
> <http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,62176,00.html>

Tina chan is number 2 only to the great Nuku Nuku!!!!
But I only see a pillow of Kasumi there and she is 17.
I don't think they could do that in the US.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Ethan Hammond

10 Feb 2004, 19:02:2910/02/2004
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> XBOX - the worst performing console in the country's history. I just LOVE
> that line!!!

If only Americans were nationalists like that and only bought the console
made by the American company.

Ethan Hammond

10 Feb 2004, 19:03:2210/02/2004
"Julian Fong" <jhf...@aol.comXYZZY> wrote in message

> >As for the pillow... hmm... ^^
>
> It's funny how the Asterope has sort of become Kasumi's signature
> suit, even though it actually belongs to Tina. For an image on
> a dakimakura, maybe it's more appropriate for Kasumi to be wearing
> the Acapulco:
> http://www.neotaku.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6307
>
> ...except that it's the only pink suit in the game she doesn't like.

The game drives me crazy because you cannot get Tina to take
the one bathing suit that is super small with the jewelry and it is
the most expensive suit in the game. I mean sure I have 300 or
so suits for Tina, but damn it I want them all.

Chika

10 Feb 2004, 19:24:0510/02/2004
In article <pieWb.13074$fV5.3...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > XBOX - the worst performing console in the country's history. I just
> > LOVE that line!!!

> If only Americans were nationalists like that and only bought the
> console made by the American company.

I'm under no illusion about the X-Box, or its company's asperations. Just
as they produced the "Net PC" to spoil the network computer market for the
people there, just as they have done in many other markets, Muckysoft were
trying to grab the console market for themselves.

The difference was that Sony were hardly likely to roll over and let the
Beast of Redmond walk over them as so many others (including the US Gov)
have done (one might also say this of Oracle, but hey, shit happens!) If
anything, Sony have played M$ at their own game and haven't done too badly
either! That's got little to do with any nationalist agenda...

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Beam me up, Scotty, This planet sucks!

Ethan Hammond

10 Feb 2004, 19:48:1410/02/2004
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> I'm under no illusion about the X-Box, or its company's asperations. Just
> as they produced the "Net PC" to spoil the network computer market for the
> people there, just as they have done in many other markets, Muckysoft were
> trying to grab the console market for themselves.

The thing is, Sony is doing the same thing with the PSX, and PS2 and I
don't hear the same complaints directed to them.

> The difference was that Sony were hardly likely to roll over and let the
> Beast of Redmond walk over them as so many others (including the US Gov)
> have done (one might also say this of Oracle, but hey, shit happens!) If
> anything, Sony have played M$ at their own game and haven't done too badly
> either! That's got little to do with any nationalist agenda...

Sony got sued for violating monopoly laws with the way they handled the
PSX in Japan. They are all big corporations, saying one is more likeable
than the other is just silly.

K. A. Pezzano

10 Feb 2004, 20:50:3010/02/2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:00:31 GMT, "Ethan Hammond"
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"John C. Watson" <jwat...@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Getting in Bed With the Customer"
>>
>> <http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,62176,00.html>
>
>Tina chan is number 2 only to the great Nuku Nuku!!!!
>But I only see a pillow of Kasumi there and she is 17.
>I don't think they could do that in the US.

Which is why Kasumi's age is always listed as "?" or "Undetermined" in
the game manuals for the US versions.

Ethan Hammond

11 Feb 2004, 03:38:1411/02/2004
"K. A. Pezzano" <bl...@blahblah.net> wrote in message

> >> "Getting in Bed With the Customer"
> >>
> >> <http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,62176,00.html>
> >
> >Tina chan is number 2 only to the great Nuku Nuku!!!!
> >But I only see a pillow of Kasumi there and she is 17.
> >I don't think they could do that in the US.
>
> Which is why Kasumi's age is always listed as "?" or "Undetermined" in
> the game manuals for the US versions.

Yep, same for Ayane who is 16.

Chika

11 Feb 2004, 09:23:4011/02/2004
In article <iZeWb.13278$fV5.3...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> "Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > I'm under no illusion about the X-Box, or its company's asperations.
> > Just as they produced the "Net PC" to spoil the network computer
> > market for the people there, just as they have done in many other
> > markets, Muckysoft were trying to grab the console market for
> > themselves.

> The thing is, Sony is doing the same thing with the PSX, and PS2 and I
> don't hear the same complaints directed to them.

True, but I daresay that companies such as Sega and Nintendo aren't too
happy about it, though bear in mind that Sony was already active in the
console market, whereas Microsoft had no direct console entrant into the
market before the X-Box. It was obvious that Microsoft wanted to dominate
the market with the X-Box, just as Sony wanted to do the same with the
first Playstations, but Sony was quicker to the market and had the
corporate, financial and marketing muscle to keep Gates & Co. at bay where
similar players in other fields, including the personal computer, the PDA,
the network computer and so forth, have lacked one way or another.

> > The difference was that Sony were hardly likely to roll over and let
> > the Beast of Redmond walk over them as so many others (including the
> > US Gov) have done (one might also say this of Oracle, but hey, shit
> > happens!) If anything, Sony have played M$ at their own game and
> > haven't done too badly either! That's got little to do with any
> > nationalist agenda...

> Sony got sued for violating monopoly laws with the way they handled the
> PSX in Japan. They are all big corporations, saying one is more
> likeable than the other is just silly.

I never said that I liked one company over the other. Certainly it is hard
to see any nationalist agenda on either company given their nature these
days (multinational companies increasingly free themselves of such
concerns, only really playing on them when there is something in it for
them).

However, Microsoft has a long record of doing such things, with a long
list of companies that have either been swallowed up or destroyed by
anti-competitive actions. The only difference really is the direction from
which each company plays, not the way they play.

--
//\ // Chika <zvl...@penfuarg.bet.hx. - ROT13>
// \// The second ZFC coming <crashnet.org.uk/zedeffcee>

... Discoveries are made by not following instructions.

Ethan Hammond

11 Feb 2004, 15:29:0111/02/2004
"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> True, but I daresay that companies such as Sega and Nintendo aren't too
> happy about it, though bear in mind that Sony was already active in the
> console market, whereas Microsoft had no direct console entrant into the
> market before the X-Box. It was obvious that Microsoft wanted to dominate
> the market with the X-Box, just as Sony wanted to do the same with the
> first Playstations, but Sony was quicker to the market and had the
> corporate, financial and marketing muscle to keep Gates & Co. at bay where
> similar players in other fields, including the personal computer, the PDA,
> the network computer and so forth, have lacked one way or another.

Although Microsoft has probably been making videogames for the pc
longer than Sony has been in the videogame industry. That being said
the XBox really is a better machine than the PS2. Now we can argue
about what system has the better games and there really is no right
answer.

> > Sony got sued for violating monopoly laws with the way they handled the
> > PSX in Japan. They are all big corporations, saying one is more
> > likeable than the other is just silly.
>
> I never said that I liked one company over the other. Certainly it is hard
> to see any nationalist agenda on either company given their nature these
> days (multinational companies increasingly free themselves of such
> concerns, only really playing on them when there is something in it for
> them).

I was just making a general videogame fan statement. Most fans who like
Sony complain about Microsoft being a huge corporation and refuse to
acknowledge that Sony is basically the same. Which is a weird idea
that I can't really understand.

> However, Microsoft has a long record of doing such things, with a long
> list of companies that have either been swallowed up or destroyed by
> anti-competitive actions. The only difference really is the direction from
> which each company plays, not the way they play.

I am sure Sony has done the same thing, but because Sony is a Japanese
company we don't hear about it.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

11 Feb 2004, 16:47:5511/02/2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chika wrote:

> In article <pieWb.13074$fV5.3...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > "Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message
> > >
> > > XBOX - the worst performing console in the country's history. I just
> > > LOVE that line!!!
>
> > If only Americans were nationalists like that and only bought the
> > console made by the American company.
>
> I'm under no illusion about the X-Box, or its company's asperations. Just
> as they produced the "Net PC" to spoil the network computer market for the
> people there, just as they have done in many other markets, Muckysoft were
> trying to grab the console market for themselves.

Many people think MS only entered the console market
so that their OS won't be left out in that appliance
and whatever that appliance evolves into.
Since MS is a software company and not a hardware company,
once they have a solid foothold in that market,
they'd sell off the XBox console business
and just concentrate on the software.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | Dometita http://cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

K. A. Pezzano

11 Feb 2004, 21:53:1011/02/2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:38:14 GMT, "Ethan Hammond"
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> >Tina chan is number 2 only to the great Nuku Nuku!!!!
>> >But I only see a pillow of Kasumi there and she is 17.
>> >I don't think they could do that in the US.
>>
>> Which is why Kasumi's age is always listed as "?" or "Undetermined" in
>> the game manuals for the US versions.
>
>Yep, same for Ayane who is 16.

I still don't believe Hitomi is older than Kasumi and Ayane.

And is Lisa gonna be in the next DoA game? I love Maaya....

Ethan Hammond

12 Feb 2004, 03:09:4912/02/2004
"K. A. Pezzano" <bl...@blahblah.net> wrote in message

> >> Which is why Kasumi's age is always listed as "?" or "Undetermined" in
> >> the game manuals for the US versions.
> >
> >Yep, same for Ayane who is 16.
>
> I still don't believe Hitomi is older than Kasumi and Ayane.

Yeah but Kasumi and Ayane grew up as kunoichi so I guess
that is how it is supposed to make sense.

> And is Lisa gonna be in the next DoA game? I love Maaya....

Yeah I wonder what fighting style she will use.
Of course Tina's made wrestling skills will
destroy all as it has been and shall be again!!!!

K. A. Pezzano

12 Feb 2004, 20:45:2412/02/2004
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:09:49 GMT, "Ethan Hammond"
<esha...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>> >Yep, same for Ayane who is 16.
>>
>> I still don't believe Hitomi is older than Kasumi and Ayane.
>
>Yeah but Kasumi and Ayane grew up as kunoichi so I guess
>that is how it is supposed to make sense.

Do kunoichi mature earlier?

And why the school uniforms? They can go on dangerous infiltration
missions and kill people. but they still have to go to class?

>> And is Lisa gonna be in the next DoA game? I love Maaya....
>
>Yeah I wonder what fighting style she will use.

Isn't her backstory that she's a scientist or something? There aren't
many of those with kung-fu skills. Though I hear that Einstein was a
master of Muy Thai kickboxing.

>Of course Tina's made wrestling skills will
>destroy all as it has been and shall be again!!!!

While I am in total one hundred percent accord with you about the dear
Natsume Atsuko, I gotta say you're WRONG on this one, Ethan!

Ethan Hammond

13 Feb 2004, 04:02:3213/02/2004
"K. A. Pezzano" <bl...@blahblah.net> wrote in message

> >Yeah but Kasumi and Ayane grew up as kunoichi so I guess
> >that is how it is supposed to make sense.
> >
> Do kunoichi mature earlier?

There fighting ability would be better I guess.

> And why the school uniforms? They can go on dangerous infiltration
> missions and kill people. but they still have to go to class?

That is for the uhhh fanservice factor.

> >Of course Tina's made wrestling skills will
> >destroy all as it has been and shall be again!!!!
>
> While I am in total one hundred percent accord with you about the dear
> Natsume Atsuko, I gotta say you're WRONG on this one, Ethan!

Does Tina not have the leather catsuit? Does he not have the mighty
Japanese pro-wrestling moves? Does she not have the Hulk Hogan
esque father? Wrong I am NOT!!!!