Crescent Love - dull new anime

Skip to the first unread message

Dave Baranyi

12 Oct 2006, 22:07:0412/10/2006
"Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love" is a shounen sci-fi bishoujo
romance that feels like it was derived from a game, but apparently came from
a manga. I am always wary of shows that start with a long background
explanation, and Crescent Love is one of those shows. A fair amount of time
is spent telling the history of the future colonization of the Moon, how a
fairy tale-style kingdom formed there under a dome, and how finally the
forces of the Earth and the Moon had a great war in space (including lots of
sound effects and rockets doing sharp right turns) before both sides nearly
wiped each other out.

Now, even more time has passed, both sides are reasonably at peace with each
other, and teenaged Moon Princess Feena has come to Earth for a homestay at
an "ordinary" Japanese home. But Princess Feena seems to know her teenaged
host Tatsuya from the past, although he doesn't seem to remember her at all.

The general pacing of the first episode was very slow. I thought (and was
hoping) that it was finished at the half-way point. The animation is fairly
limited, and the character designs are fairly generic and even occasionally
vague as facial features sort of vanish off screen. The dialog is very
ordinary and the music banal. The only saving grace of the first episode is
that several of the girls, including Feena, have big chests and show some
cleavage. But that's not enough to keep me watching this show. The official
website is at:

http://www.bs-i.co.jp/anime/yoakena/

Dave Baranyi

Fish Eye no Miko

12 Oct 2006, 22:20:0612/10/2006
Dave Baranyi wrote:

> "Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love" is a shounen sci-fi

Damn, I read that as "shounen ai" at first...
<pouts>

> Now, even more time has passed, both sides are reasonably at
> peace with each other, and teenaged Moon Princess Feena

Hoo-boy. Feena, there's a lady named Usagi who'd like to have a word with
you...

Catherine Johnson.
--
fenm at cox dot net
"I'm the impish officer of death."

Dave Baranyi

12 Oct 2006, 22:22:0712/10/2006

"Fish Eye no Miko" <fis...@deadmoon.circus> wrote in message

> Dave Baranyi wrote:
>
>> "Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love" is a shounen sci-fi
>
> Damn, I read that as "shounen ai" at first...
> <pouts>

Nah, you'll have to go to Marginal Prince for that this season... <g>

Cheers -

Dave Baranyi

Dan

12 Oct 2006, 23:41:5612/10/2006
It was ok, typical renai/gal game based series so you can't really expect
much.^^ Out of all the renai/gal game based series, I personally thought
Happiness is the best one even though that doesn't mean much.^^; It does
have a very cute okama with very cute voice(wouldn't know if they didn't
anything...^^;) and maybe a bit interest past for the protagonist.

Just sorta a bit to Yoake...., they did recast instead using the original
cast from the original game and casted Nabatame Hitomi as Feena who had her
debute as Arcueid in Tsukihime...Tsukihime/Princess of Moon....^^ Just
thought it's kinda interesting that's all.

Abraham Evangelista

12 Oct 2006, 23:59:3612/10/2006
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 22:07:04 -0400, "Dave Baranyi"
<a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote:

>"Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na - Crescent Love" is a shounen sci-fi bishoujo
>romance that feels like it was derived from a game, but apparently came from
>a manga.

You had it right the first time. There was indeed a game.I just
grabbed the artbook, and boy does it put the anime to shame! Tatsuya
x Feena. Tatsuya X imouto. Tatsuya X nee-san. Tatsuya x childhood
friend. Tatsua x meido.

As a hentai series this could have had some promise. As a late night
bishoujo show, I'm less impressed.

>I am always wary of shows that start with a long background
>explanation, and Crescent Love is one of those shows. A fair amount of time
>is spent telling the history of the future colonization of the Moon, how a
>fairy tale-style kingdom formed there under a dome, and how finally the
>forces of the Earth and the Moon had a great war in space (including lots of
>sound effects and rockets doing sharp right turns) before both sides nearly
>wiped each other out.

The question is, does this have any bearing on the plot, or was it
just a half minute of filler space to look pretty? I'm guessing that
somewhere along the line, someone from the moon isn't gonna be happy
with Feena's infatuation with Tatsuya.

It'll be like Turn-A, but with less cross dressing, less plot, less
Yoko Kanno soundtrack, less Syd Mead mecha, and more breasts. :-)

>Now, even more time has passed, both sides are reasonably at peace with each
>other, and teenaged Moon Princess Feena has come to Earth for a homestay at
>an "ordinary" Japanese home. But Princess Feena seems to know her teenaged
>host Tatsuya from the past, although he doesn't seem to remember her at all.
>
>The general pacing of the first episode was very slow. I thought (and was
>hoping) that it was finished at the half-way point. The animation is fairly
>limited, and the character designs are fairly generic and even occasionally
>vague as facial features sort of vanish off screen. The dialog is very
>ordinary and the music banal.

I was really struck by how many of the bishoujo cliches it managed to
bring up. We already have the older sister, younger sister, childhood
friend, and exotic transfer student. We have a genki girl, a ditzy
girl, a hime-sama, and a meido.

All in all, it just feels generic!

>The only saving grace of the first episode is
>that several of the girls, including Feena, have big chests and show some
>cleavage. But that's not enough to keep me watching this show. The official
>website is at:
>
>http://www.bs-i.co.jp/anime/yoakena/
>
>Dave Baranyi

I've decided that this is my "bad" show to watch this season. If
nothing else, I can see just how many of my predictions manage to be
correct. I can't do any worse than I did with Higurashi!

Have you tried "Tokimeki Memorial" yet?
--
2006.09.22 - Abe vs. the fish of Crum Creek!
Abe: 11

Dave Baranyi

13 Oct 2006, 05:36:4713/10/2006

"Abraham Evangelista" <da...@verizon.net> wrote in message

I wasn't intending to, but I've seen some bloggers comment that it was
funny, so I was thinking about trying an episode. Is it worth spending the
time to watch?

Thanks -

Dave Baranyi