Expo Licensing Announcements

Galen

Jul 4, 2008, 7:44:39 PM7/4/08
Funimation Licensing Announcement

Funimation (source Company Site / AnimeOnDVD)
Heroic Age

Anime Expo 2008 Licensing Announcements

Funimation (source AnimeOnDVD)
Murder Princess

Viz (source bayoab's Live AX 2008 feed)
Hunter x Hunter (TV)

The list of titles Funimation announced to have acquired from Sojitz
today included Murder Princess. All other titles in the list where
previously licensed by ADV Films.

There had been rumors about Viz having licensed Hunter x Hunter
before, but nothing concrete had been announced yet. At their Anime
Expo 2008 panel Viz officially announced plans for a DVD release in
December 2008. Based on the information available before, AnimeSuki
assumes only the TV series has been licensed at this point.

Anime Expo 2008 Licensing Announcements

Rightstuf / Nozomi Entertainment (source Rightstuf)
Toward the Terra (1980 Movie) (official site)
Gakuen Alice (official site)

Both of these titles will be released subbed-only. In the case of
Gakuen Alice, it'll be released in one boxset.

Joe Klemm

Jul 4, 2008, 8:07:47 PM7/4/08

Bandai Entertainment
Hayate the Combat Butler

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 4, 2008, 8:40:44 PM7/4/08
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Joe Klemm <tna...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Bandai Entertainment
>Hayate the Combat Butler

And THIS is the best news of the day. :-)

So long as we don't end up with JYB as Hayate, I'm game.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Rob Kelk

Jul 4, 2008, 8:59:55 PM7/4/08
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:40:44 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Joe Klemm <tna...@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Bandai Entertainment
>>Hayate the Combat Butler

No fooling?

So, is it any good? I never did get a chance to see a fansub of it.

>And THIS is the best news of the day. :-)
>
>So long as we don't end up with JYB as Hayate, I'm game.

What's wrong with the ex-Power Ranger? I thought he'd become a pretty
good voice actor...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 4, 2008, 9:56:15 PM7/4/08
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:59:55 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:40:44 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
><da...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Joe Klemm <tna...@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Bandai Entertainment
>>>Hayate the Combat Butler
>
>No fooling?
>
>So, is it any good? I never did get a chance to see a fansub of it.

It's madcap slapstick comedy. Rie Kugimiya gets cast as yet another
wrathful loli. I give it a solid "A" rating, if you have a tolerance
for sitcoms. If you liked Ranma, you'd probably like Hayate.

Tell ya what, how about a primer entry?

Hayate no Gotoku:

His organs sold off to pay his parents debts, a now destitute Hayate
Ayasaki finds himself employed by the fabulously wealthy (and
dangerously sheltered) hikkikomori-in-training, Nagi Sanzennin. After
a failed attempt at kidnapping Nagi turns into a mistaken one-sided
romance, Hayate begins working as Nagi's personal butler, performing a
variety of domestic tasks such as cleaning the mansion, keeping the
grounds, cooking meals, fighting off terrorists, defeating ancient
orders, dressing in women's clothing, single handedly destroying mecha
with his bare hands, and keeping Nagi happy. Together with a "Young
and Fresh 17-year-old" maid named Maria, (the show's voice of reason)
Hayate does his best to pay off his debt, finish his schooling, and
overcome near-death situations in this 52 episode slapstick situation
comedy.

Hayate no Gotoku is licensed for release in R1 by Bandai
Entertainment. A second season was announced in March 2008.

>>And THIS is the best news of the day. :-)
>>
>>So long as we don't end up with JYB as Hayate, I'm game.
>
>What's wrong with the ex-Power Ranger? I thought he'd become a pretty
>good voice actor...

He has become quite good. But he's also become ubiquitous with
regards to Ocean Group dubs. Not that I think he does a bad job, but
a little variety in casting never hurt either.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Rob Kelk

Jul 4, 2008, 10:17:55 PM7/4/08
On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 01:56:15 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:59:55 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 00:40:44 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
>><da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>>No fooling?
>>
>>So, is it any good? I never did get a chance to see a fansub of it.
>
>It's madcap slapstick comedy. Rie Kugimiya gets cast as yet another
>wrathful loli. I give it a solid "A" rating, if you have a tolerance
>for sitcoms. If you liked Ranma, you'd probably like Hayate.
>
>Tell ya what, how about a primer entry?

That good, huh? ^_^ Thanks.

>Hayate no Gotoku:
>
>His organs sold off to pay his parents debts, a now destitute Hayate
>Ayasaki finds himself employed by the fabulously wealthy (and
>dangerously sheltered) hikkikomori-in-training, Nagi Sanzennin. After
>a failed attempt at kidnapping Nagi turns into a mistaken one-sided
>romance, Hayate begins working as Nagi's personal butler, performing a
>variety of domestic tasks such as cleaning the mansion, keeping the
>grounds, cooking meals, fighting off terrorists, defeating ancient
>orders, dressing in women's clothing, single handedly destroying mecha
>with his bare hands, and keeping Nagi happy. Together with a "Young
>and Fresh 17-year-old" maid named Maria, (the show's voice of reason)
>Hayate does his best to pay off his debt, finish his schooling, and
>overcome near-death situations in this 52 episode slapstick situation
>comedy.
>
>Hayate no Gotoku is licensed for release in R1 by Bandai
>Entertainment. A second season was announced in March 2008.
>
>>>And THIS is the best news of the day. :-)
>>>
>>>So long as we don't end up with JYB as Hayate, I'm game.
>>
>>What's wrong with the ex-Power Ranger? I thought he'd become a pretty
>>good voice actor...
>
>He has become quite good. But he's also become ubiquitous with
>regards to Ocean Group dubs. Not that I think he does a bad job, but
>a little variety in casting never hurt either.

Fair enough.

(Although he wasn't in the dub cast for "Starship Operators", which is
one of two Ocean dubs I remember watching in the last few years - this
may be why I haven't gotten tired of hearing him yet.)

D B Malmquist

Jul 4, 2008, 10:56:28 PM7/4/08
Galen wrote:

> Funimation Licensing Announcement
>
> Funimation (source Company Site / AnimeOnDVD)
> Heroic Age
>

> Anime Expo 2008 Licensing Announcements
>
> Funimation (source AnimeOnDVD)
> Murder Princess
>
> Viz (source bayoab's Live AX 2008 feed)
> Hunter x Hunter (TV)
>
> The list of titles Funimation announced to have acquired from Sojitz
> today included Murder Princess. All other titles in the list where
> previously licensed by ADV Films.
>
> There had been rumors about Viz having licensed Hunter x Hunter
> before, but nothing concrete had been announced yet. At their Anime
> Expo 2008 panel Viz officially announced plans for a DVD release in
> December 2008. Based on the information available before, AnimeSuki
> assumes only the TV series has been licensed at this point.

I reckon that they will try to get it on US cable TV; I wonder whether the
body count will be a problem?

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Jul 4, 2008, 11:01:13 PM7/4/08
Galen wrote:

> Funimation Licensing Announcement
>
> Funimation (source Company Site / AnimeOnDVD)
> Heroic Age
>

> Anime Expo 2008 Licensing Announcements
>
> Funimation (source AnimeOnDVD)
> Murder Princess
>
> Viz (source bayoab's Live AX 2008 feed)
> Hunter x Hunter (TV)
>
> The list of titles Funimation announced to have acquired from Sojitz
> today included Murder Princess. All other titles in the list where
> previously licensed by ADV Films.

Also from Funimation, news that "Ouran" will be released in two
13-episode boxes:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-announces-ouran-high-school-host-club-cast

I think this is a good release format for this series, which (I say
having seen only the first third) is episodic and seems to have a
moderate number of so-so, skippable episodes mixed in with the majority
of entertaining episodes.

-dbm

Derek Janssen

Jul 4, 2008, 11:16:26 PM7/4/08
D B Malmquist wrote:

> Also from Funimation, news that "Ouran" will be released in two
> 13-episode boxes:
>
> http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-07-04/funimation-announces-ouran-high-school-host-club-cast
>
> I think this is a good release format for this series, which (I say
> having seen only the first third) is episodic and seems to have a
> moderate number of so-so, skippable episodes mixed in with the majority
> of entertaining episodes.

If we've learned anything in the first year of the Anime Recession, it's
that the Volume Disk Is Dead, no matter how necessary it may be to
company funding...
If there was a way to put thirteen episodes on a disk in respectable
form, we would, but until then, we'll take ADV-style boxsets, thanks.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 4, 2008, 11:27:58 PM7/4/08
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 22:56:28 -0400, D B Malmquist
<d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>>
>> Funimation Licensing Announcement
>>
>> Funimation (source Company Site / AnimeOnDVD)
>> Heroic Age
>>

>> Anime Expo 2008 Licensing Announcements
>>
>> Funimation (source AnimeOnDVD)
>> Murder Princess
>>
>> Viz (source bayoab's Live AX 2008 feed)
>> Hunter x Hunter (TV)
>>
>> The list of titles Funimation announced to have acquired from Sojitz
>> today included Murder Princess. All other titles in the list where
>> previously licensed by ADV Films.
>>
>> There had been rumors about Viz having licensed Hunter x Hunter
>> before, but nothing concrete had been announced yet. At their Anime
>> Expo 2008 panel Viz officially announced plans for a DVD release in
>> December 2008. Based on the information available before, AnimeSuki
>> assumes only the TV series has been licensed at this point.
>
>I reckon that they will try to get it on US cable TV; I wonder whether the
>body count will be a problem?

This is America! We love violence and death on TV! It's that icky
sex stuff that gets the censors all riled up. :-p

Seriously though, with a name like MURDER princess, it's not like a
body count is unexpected. Any network that licenses this title really
knows what they're getting.

And more importantly, THEY LICENSED THE WRONG PRINCESS! Where's
Kaibutsu Ojou?!?
--
Abraham Evangelista

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 5, 2008, 12:36:01 AM7/5/08
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 17:07:47 -0700 (PDT), Joe Klemm <tna...@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Bandai Entertainment
>>Hayate the Combat Butler
>
>And THIS is the best news of the day. :-)

: )

>So long as we don't end up with JYB as Hayate, I'm game.

I hear Spike Spencer when I hear Hayate; I'm more curious as to how
they'll deal with the countless inside jokes . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

D B Malmquist

Jul 5, 2008, 1:11:34 AM7/5/08

I meant "Hunter X Hunter". On the one hand Hisoka alone kills
dozens (hundreds?), so US standards say this isn't suitable for
kids TV; OTOH Gon seems a bit young as a main protagonist to
appeal to the Adult Swim demographic.

-dbm

Rob Kelk

Jul 5, 2008, 9:35:53 AM7/5/08

How about Geneon-style boxsets instead? I'm not a huge fan of ADV's
"just the show, no extras" sets...

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 5, 2008, 12:03:49 PM7/5/08
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
> Rightstuf / Nozomi Entertainment (source Rightstuf)
[...]
> Gakuen Alice (official site)

I've only read the manga (which is quite good). How's the anime in
comparison?

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Derek Janssen

Jul 5, 2008, 3:04:25 PM7/5/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

>>If we've learned anything in the first year of the Anime Recession, it's
>>that the Volume Disk Is Dead, no matter how necessary it may be to
>>company funding...
>>If there was a way to put thirteen episodes on a disk in respectable
>>form, we would, but until then, we'll take ADV-style boxsets, thanks.
>
> How about Geneon-style boxsets instead? I'm not a huge fan of ADV's
> "just the show, no extras" sets...

Whatever--Point is, I'm now wondering whether I should *regret* my
decision to have held out for that "Wallflower" box...

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Galen

Jul 5, 2008, 3:36:13 PM7/5/08
On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 18:03:49 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>> Rightstuf / Nozomi Entertainment (source Rightstuf)
>[...]
>> Gakuen Alice (official site)
>
>I've only read the manga (which is quite good). How's the anime in
>comparison?
>
>cu
>59cobalt

I think it's a good adaptation; I understand the sub-only
release - violence, girl sleeping with her teacher - but
it's too bad they couldn't include the Animax dub since
it already exists.

-Galen

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 5, 2008, 3:56:39 PM7/5/08
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 18:03:49 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>>> Rightstuf / Nozomi Entertainment (source Rightstuf)
>> [...]
>>> Gakuen Alice (official site)
>>
>> I've only read the manga (which is quite good). How's the anime in
>> comparison?
>
> I think it's a good adaptation;

I'll give it a try, then. Thanks.

*sigh* Looks like RightStuf really is out for my money. <_<;;

> I understand the sub-only release - violence, girl sleeping with her
> teacher - but it's too bad they couldn't include the Animax dub since
> it already exists.

Well, I'll be watching the subbed version anyways, so that's not an
issue for me.

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 6, 2008, 3:16:29 PM7/6/08
Kadokawa USA announcements:

- H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
- Junjou Romantica
- My Heartfelt Sympathy
- Ninomiya-kun
- Spice and Wolf
- Rental Magica
- Wagaya no Oinarisama

As expected after their request to remove those titles from Animesuki.

Derek Janssen

Jul 6, 2008, 3:24:06 PM7/6/08
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> Kadokawa USA announcements:
>
> - H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
> - Junjou Romantica
> - My Heartfelt Sympathy
> - Ninomiya-kun
> - Spice and Wolf
> - Rental Magica
> - Wagaya no Oinarisama
>
> As expected after their request to remove those titles from Animesuki.

Um, they could've just ANNOUNCED them and watch them be removed anyway...

Derek Janssen (but no, we have to establish *trust* issues)
eja...@verizon.net

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 6, 2008, 5:57:24 PM7/6/08
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:16:29 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>Kadokawa USA announcements:
>
>- H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
>- Junjou Romantica
>- My Heartfelt Sympathy

Umm... Pass?

>- Ninomiya-kun

I'll bitr if they give us a cheap box-set. But Girl's Bravo was
better by far.

>- Spice and Wolf
>- Rental Magica

WOOHOO! PASS THE CIGARS!

>- Wagaya no Oinarisama

I'll try it. Have they announced a partner yet?
--
Abraham Evangelista

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jul 6, 2008, 6:02:41 PM7/6/08
Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:16:29 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> - Wagaya no Oinarisama
>
> I'll try it. Have they announced a partner yet?

Not that I know of.

sanjian

Jul 6, 2008, 7:50:06 PM7/6/08
Abraham Evangelista wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 21:16:29 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
> <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>
>> Kadokawa USA announcements:
>>
>> - H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
>> - Junjou Romantica
>> - My Heartfelt Sympathy
>
> Umm... Pass?
>
>> - Ninomiya-kun
>
> I'll bitr if they give us a cheap box-set. But Girl's Bravo was
> better by far.

More fanservice would have done wonders for Ninomiya.

Galen

Jul 6, 2008, 8:35:39 PM7/6/08

What I disliked about Ninomiya was the complete lack
of non-evil characters. Yes, it's a story about succubi -
amoral predators who seek power over others as their
primary goal, consume and destroy anyone they can,
and use sex as their primary weapon. Our two leads
avoid being quite as morally bad by being brain-damaged
imbeciles, and therefore not cognizant of themselves;
a case can be made that they are not evil for that reason,
yet, a case can also be made that they fail to be characters
for that reason - that they are dolls for events to happen to.
And these dolls are tortured by just about everyone because
they can be, because they are helpless.

Invid Fan

Jul 6, 2008, 9:42:00 PM7/6/08
In article <qZ8ck.312$P11.125@trndny06>, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
> > Kadokawa USA announcements:
> >
> > - H2O ~Footprints in the Sand~
> > - Junjou Romantica
> > - My Heartfelt Sympathy
> > - Ninomiya-kun
> > - Spice and Wolf
> > - Rental Magica
> > - Wagaya no Oinarisama
> >
> > As expected after their request to remove those titles from Animesuki.
>
> Um, they could've just ANNOUNCED them and watch them be removed anyway...

And Apple could just ANNOUNCE their new products as soon as they
develop them, instead of registering domain names and waiting until
Macworld...

> Derek Janssen (but no, we have to establish *trust* issues)
> eja...@verizon.net

And have something to do at conventions...

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

sanjian

Jul 7, 2008, 3:13:52 PM7/7/08

I can hardly see the two leading ladies as being evil. Yes, they come from
a race that is normally associated with ebil things. But that doesn't mean
they are inherently evil.

Ken Arromdee

Jul 10, 2008, 1:20:38 PM7/10/08
In article <9eqt64do44uqgbh6q...@4ax.com>,

Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> wrote:
>This is America! We love violence and death on TV! It's that icky
>sex stuff that gets the censors all riled up. :-p

Not entirely true.

Getting Detective Conan on TV was a problem because of the murders. And
Sailor Moon had the violence censored to the point where you couldn't even
show Rei slapping Usagi.

And let's not forget "sent to another dimension".
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"In a superhero story, Superman jumps off buildings and flies. In a realistic
story, Superman doesn't jump off buildings and can't fly. Deconstruction is
writing a story where Superman can't fly but he still jumps off of buildings."