With spoilers abounding, Kaleido Star Grand Finale discussion...

star...@yahoo.com

Nov 9, 2006, 5:35:36 PM11/9/06
"Gather, O ye fools...
This is the Kaleido Stage!
Good fortune to all with wings in their hearts."

-- Fool, close of the Extra Stage

(May not be quite the exact quote, but such a great closing that I had
to put it in...)

OK, finally got the last volume of the ADV release. The payoff was
palpable. Even though there were many places to see the episodes, the
English dub was top notch. Can I glomp Sora's and Rosetta's voice
actresses?? Please?? They deserve it.

Anyhoo, the last three main episodes were just incredible -- as I said,
the payoff was palpable. Thought Sora's outfit (which graces the
cover) a bit fan-service-y for an anime which is more honoring the
pursuit of dreams than anything.

The question I asked earlier about where Layla's loyalties lie is
cleanly answered, and answered well!

It just seemed, for at least volumes 4 and 5, that they were
crescendoing to something... Full marks to Sato-san and the crew for
getting it right on the head.

As for Extra Stage:

Liked it, loved it, but I did feel there was some unncessary fan
service. One blatant example was zooming in on Mia's dress during a
discussion with Anna where nothing was really going on there.

It's NOT filler (though it's clearly derivative from Sora's early
struggles) -- it would almost make a good third or fourth episode of a
Rosetta-led third season. But it does leave more questions than
answers, as one said. I'll get to them below.

Some hilarious playing-against-typecasting of the characters in Extra
Stage as well.

A question I have for anyone who knows before I get to what I would do
with a hypothetical third season...

-- During episode 50, at the most dramatic point, a new song (to
Kaleido Star, a one-shot) plays. I didn't see it in the credits. Any
idea what it is and who it's from?

So, what do I feel got left undone:

Sora: The indisputable Kaleido Star. Really can be relegated to a 1A
to another character's lead now. Still a lot I would like to see done,
but more with respect to two other characters.

Rosetta: More was left to imply a continuation at the end of New Wings
than of the first season -- this story is just starting!!! She wants
to do the Legendary Great Manuever with Sora, she has (by the end of
the Layla OVA) only about 15 months or so to become a big star on the
trapeze, she has to deal with the Fool's new hobby of harassing her...

Layla: Between the sad ending of her run in the first series and the
happier one in her OVA, pretty much done. Might cameo her, but not
really necessary to continue it on more than that.

The Fool: So much backstory to go into -- he deals with some demons
from his past in Extra Stage, but it's never explxined why...

Anna: Master Clown. Dream-seeking story is over. Good support
candidate, but really not much more than that.

Mia: Head writer for Kaleido Stage. See Anna.

Marion/Jonathan: Could get an episode to chronicle Marion's beginnings
to rise through the ranks of KS. Another good support.

Kalos/Yuri: Partners, and at peace with their pasts.

May: Really a question-mark. They really change May over the course
of the end of the series and in Extra Stage.

Leon: Can now die content. Can stay on too.

Ken: The other reason they should do another series. Why is he in the
series if he's not Sora's eventual love interest??? I could see some
great ways to settle that if people are interested in knowing.

Well, I'll post more thoughts if people want 'em...

Mike