On AMV... Continued

Travers Naran

Feb 17, 2008, 12:33:12 PM2/17/08
Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:

Princess Tutu-Hold Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isywletO1vA)

This video exemplifies everything RIGHT. I have never seen Princess
Tutu (nor was I interested). Never heard this song before. But married
together, this was on the best AMVs I've ever seen. The clips convey
the feelings from the series, and the music accentuates those feelings.
Also, it has a virtual narrative that gives me a taste of the story
and why Princess Tutu would be a good anime (I've added it to my rental
queue SOLELY because of this AMV)

Jamming with Edward (Cowboy Bebop/19-2000 (by Gorillaz))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu0p7mw1VTo

Even though this is technically just a bunch of random Ed clips, but the
clips have a common theme (Ed's playful nature) and the music really
complements it. And since the song is also non-sensical and random,
this works. The editor chose scenes that could be easily enjoyed
without context and fit with the beats of the song.

Perfect Day (Azumanga Daioh/Perfect Day)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=volt3soir8M

Technically speaking it is random clips, but the clips are chosen to a)
give you a taste of AD! and b) clips that exemplify how the series fits
the theme of the song. The song is a perfect match to Azumanga Daioh --
the song's about a girl and living in the moment having fun with her
friends. If that doesn't describe AD!, I don't know what can.

Osaka's Memoties (Azumanga Daioh/The Magic Key by Cool-t & One-t)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duietf8e9is

This video breaks the rules, but through very clever use of editing and
clipping out characters, it creates a scrapbook that feels like
something straight out of Osaka's head. And the song's really catchy.

Evangelion (Engel) -- Mike Caldwell

If ever that was an exemplar everyone should try to live up to, it's
this AMV. Everything fits so well, even if you don't speak German!
It's not the lip-synching (which was a bonus), but the fact that the
emotion generated by the song perfectly matched the video, and the clips
and editing were so fluid it felt like a work of art. ADV should use
THIS as the trailer for Evangelion.

Memories / Vanessa-Mae's "Phantom of the Opera"
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqOUe-_Ecyg>

I had never seen the anime in question when I first saw this, but
afterwards, I knew I had to see this. Most of the successful AMVs have
a narrative and this definitely synchs so well with the anime. The
music's beats and theme fits so well with the AMV's goal.

Golden Boy / "Bicycle Race" by Blumchen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjlFtcIsgI

Never has a song and extended video clip gone together so well. X-D

Some common traits:

1. Narrative: The AMVs create something like a narrative. Either by
giving you a concentrated taste of the anime, or by building one out of
randomness.

2. Music was good. Even if they weren't in my usual genres, the music
was always at least catchy if not outright good.

3. Synching. Not lip synching, but making sure the action in the video
synched with the "beat" of the music, or at least with the theme of the
song.

JUST PLAIN FUN AMVs

Odorikuruu <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkxTrAfCx0>

Right Now Someone is Reading This Title
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZujpIv8_pmQ>

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Dave Baranyi

Feb 17, 2008, 2:56:00 PM2/17/08

"Travers Naran" <tna...@googles.mail.com> wrote in message

> Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:
>

> Princess Tutu-Hold Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isywletO1vA)
>
> This video exemplifies everything RIGHT. I have never seen Princess Tutu
> (nor was I interested). Never heard this song before. But married
> together, this was on the best AMVs I've ever seen. The clips convey the
> feelings from the series, and the music accentuates those feelings. Also,
> it has a virtual narrative that gives me a taste of the story and why
> Princess Tutu would be a good anime (I've added it to my rental queue
> SOLELY because of this AMV)

Do you 19th Century ballet music, or are you at least a little familiar with
classical European ballets?

Because, while that is definitely a great AMV, you shouldn't expect the
music in the series to resemble what is in the AMV. And the music, along
with the actual ballets, has a huge amount to do with the series.

Dave Baranyi

Rob Kelk

Feb 17, 2008, 5:32:11 PM2/17/08
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:33:12 GMT, Travers Naran
<tna...@googles.mail.com> wrote:

>Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:

<snip>

>Golden Boy / "Bicycle Race" by Blumchen
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjlFtcIsgI
>
>Never has a song and extended video clip gone together so well. X-D

I prefer AMVs with at least one edit in the video. ^_^

<snip>

>Odorikuruu <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkxTrAfCx0>

There's a better-quality version available:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=912>

>Right Now Someone is Reading This Title
><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZujpIv8_pmQ>

Again, for the better-quality version:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=3684>

As long as we're listing good AMVs... Most of these don't require any
knowledge of the parent anime.

Possibly the best two "fake ad" videos, with an amateur voice actress
who sounds remarkably like the pro dub actresses:
<http://www.doki.ca/videos/ddp-SwitchNabiki.mpg>
<http://www.doki.ca/videos/ddp-SwitchMihoshi.avi>

Possibly the best "wrong show's opening credits" videos:
<http://www.aquilinestudios.org/AqStud(Scintilla)-EvaBebop.avi>

Possibly the best "re-cut footage to make something that's just *wrong*"
video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=142959>

Another durned good dance video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=1628>

My favourite "Haruhi Suzumiya" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=126502>

My favourite "Chobits" video (NSFW):
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=79254>

My favourite "El Hazard" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=1889>

My favourite "Utena" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=152>
(Yes, the music's by Bjork. Deal with it.)

My favourite "Magic Users Club" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=4912>

My favourite "Kishin Corps" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=1181>

My favourite "Lain" video:
<http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_videoinfo.php?v=9238>

As you can probably figure out from the URLs, I prefer to download
copies of the AMVs I like. Makes it easier to watch them on my TV set,
don'ty'know...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Travers Naran

Feb 17, 2008, 6:44:06 PM2/17/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:33:12 GMT, Travers Naran
> <tna...@googles.mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Golden Boy / "Bicycle Race" by Blumchen
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIjlFtcIsgI
>>
>> Never has a song and extended video clip gone together so well. X-D
>
> I prefer AMVs with at least one edit in the video. ^_^

That's why I was amazed by it. I'm sure they snipped & stretched to
make all the parts fit, but it certainly did.

Travers Naran

Feb 17, 2008, 6:45:28 PM2/17/08
Dave Baranyi wrote:
> "Travers Naran" <tna...@googles.mail.com> wrote in message
>> Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:
>>

>> Princess Tutu-Hold Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isywletO1vA)
>>
>> This video exemplifies everything RIGHT. I have never seen Princess Tutu
>> (nor was I interested). Never heard this song before. But married
>> together, this was on the best AMVs I've ever seen. The clips convey the
>> feelings from the series, and the music accentuates those feelings. Also,
>> it has a virtual narrative that gives me a taste of the story and why
>> Princess Tutu would be a good anime (I've added it to my rental queue
>> SOLELY because of this AMV)
>>

> Do you 19th Century ballet music, or are you at least a little familiar with
> classical European ballets?
>
> Because, while that is definitely a great AMV, you shouldn't expect the
> music in the series to resemble what is in the AMV. And the music, along
> with the actual ballets, has a huge amount to do with the series.

News flash: Rammstein's "Engel" does not appear anywhere in Evangelion. :-)

I _know_ that, and I found a clip of the actual show on-line and got a
feel for it. But especially from others' comments, it supposedly gives
you a feel for the show.

Redkanary

Feb 17, 2008, 9:54:36 PM2/17/08

Travers Naran wrote:

> Evangelion (Engel) -- Mike Caldwell
>
> If ever that was an exemplar everyone should try to live up to, it's
> this AMV. Everything fits so well, even if you don't speak German!
> It's not the lip-synching (which was a bonus), but the fact that the
> emotion generated by the song perfectly matched the video, and the clips
> and editing were so fluid it felt like a work of art. ADV should use
> THIS as the trailer for Evangelion.

That'd be Kevin Caldwell. I think his "Media Vita In Morte Sumus"
actually works better as an NGE trailer. And he also made my favorite
AMV ever - "Caffeine Encomium." Both are still floating around on
Youtube somewhere, I'm sure.

- Red

Travers Naran

Feb 17, 2008, 11:42:40 PM2/17/08
Redkanary wrote:

> Travers Naran wrote:
>
>> Evangelion (Engel) -- Mike Caldwell
>>
>> If ever that was an exemplar everyone should try to live up to, it's
>> this AMV. Everything fits so well, even if you don't speak German!
>> It's not the lip-synching (which was a bonus), but the fact that the
>> emotion generated by the song perfectly matched the video, and the clips
>> and editing were so fluid it felt like a work of art. ADV should use
>> THIS as the trailer for Evangelion.
>
> That'd be Kevin Caldwell.

I know. I was puzzled when I re-read my post and noticed the mistake.

> I think his "Media Vita In Morte Sumus"
> actually works better as an NGE trailer. And he also made my favorite
> AMV ever - "Caffeine Encomium." Both are still floating around on
> Youtube somewhere, I'm sure.

As I said in my reply to you, Caffeine Encomium made the AMV addict you
see today. ;-)

"Media Vita in Morte Sumus" leaves me cold. :-|

sanjian

Feb 18, 2008, 5:10:37 PM2/18/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Dave Baranyi wrote:
>> "Travers Naran" <tna...@googles.mail.com> wrote in message
>>> Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:
>>>

>>> Princess Tutu-Hold Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isywletO1vA)
>>>
>>> This video exemplifies everything RIGHT. I have never seen
>>> Princess Tutu (nor was I interested). Never heard this song
>>> before. But married together, this was on the best AMVs I've ever
>>> seen. The clips convey the feelings from the series, and the music
>>> accentuates those feelings. Also, it has a virtual narrative that
>>> gives me a taste of the story and why Princess Tutu would be a good
>>> anime (I've added it to my rental queue SOLELY because of this AMV)
>>>

>> Do you 19th Century ballet music, or are you at least a little
>> familiar with classical European ballets?
>>
>> Because, while that is definitely a great AMV, you shouldn't expect
>> the music in the series to resemble what is in the AMV. And the
>> music, along with the actual ballets, has a huge amount to do with
>> the series.
>
> News flash: Rammstein's "Engel" does not appear anywhere in
> Evangelion. :-)

I think Dave's talking thematically. From the AMV, it looks like Tutu isn't
just about ballet, but it IS ballet, through and through. At least that's
the impression it gives to one who hasn't acutally watched the series.

Consider it equivalent to my AMG/NIN rule.

sanjian

Feb 18, 2008, 5:36:08 PM2/18/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Now, my unsorted list of AMVs that are actually good IMHO:

<snip>

Frankly, I find most of the ones you listed to be marginal, at best. Though
I did like the Tutu one. I may have to give the series a shot.

I think these two for Ouran show much better what can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1JzfsMWSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di9GmjlITfk

Captain Nerd

Feb 20, 2008, 7:55:20 PM2/20/08
In article <47b8ae3f...@news.individual.net>,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

[goodness snipped spacewise]

> As you can probably figure out from the URLs, I prefer to download
> copies of the AMVs I like. Makes it easier to watch them on my TV set,
> don'ty'know...

I suggest going to stage6.divx.com, they have an amazing array of
videos of all kinds, including AMVs, and you can download DiVX
software to play them. This one surprised me, I don't recognize
the episode, I'm thinking either an OVA or an extra on one of the
R2 DVDs. I assume someone will correct me on this... ^=====^

http://www.stage6.com/AlphaHack/video/1659077/Shining-Star-without-me

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Rob Kelk

Feb 20, 2008, 9:59:09 PM2/20/08
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:55:20 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
wrote:

>In article <47b8ae3f...@news.individual.net>,
> rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>[goodness snipped spacewise]
>>
>> As you can probably figure out from the URLs, I prefer to download
>> copies of the AMVs I like. Makes it easier to watch them on my TV set,
>> don'ty'know...
>
> I suggest going to stage6.divx.com, they have an amazing array of
> videos of all kinds, including AMVs, and you can download DiVX
> software to play them. This one surprised me, I don't recognize
> the episode, I'm thinking either an OVA or an extra on one of the
> R2 DVDs. I assume someone will correct me on this... ^=====^
>
> http://www.stage6.com/AlphaHack/video/1659077/Shining-Star-without-me

Maybe I'm just unobservant, but where's the "download this video" link?

Aje RavenStar

Feb 20, 2008, 10:14:02 PM2/20/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:55:20 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
> wrote:
>
>>In article <47b8ae3f...@news.individual.net>,
>> rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>>
>>[goodness snipped spacewise]
>>>
>>> As you can probably figure out from the URLs, I prefer to download
>>> copies of the AMVs I like. Makes it easier to watch them on my TV set,
>>> don'ty'know...
>>
>> I suggest going to stage6.divx.com, they have an amazing array of
>> videos of all kinds, including AMVs, and you can download DiVX
>> software to play them. This one surprised me, I don't recognize
>> the episode, I'm thinking either an OVA or an extra on one of the
>> R2 DVDs. I assume someone will correct me on this... ^=====^
>>
>> http://www.stage6.com/AlphaHack/video/1659077/Shining-Star-without-me
>
> Maybe I'm just unobservant, but where's the "download this video" link?

I saw it. When the page loads, in the middle of the image is a > play
button to the top left, a 'download' button to the right, and an 'upgrade
to' button below them. I didn't download it.

A number of scenes in this seemed to be copied from others - train scene
with head on shoulder from School Rumble, couple on the beach with moonlight
from AMG OAV in particular.

Captain Nerd

Feb 21, 2008, 12:39:26 AM2/21/08
In article <8budnfPuMZYocSHa...@comcast.com>,
"Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:55:20 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>In article <47b8ae3f...@news.individual.net>,
> >> rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> >>
> >>[goodness snipped spacewise]

> >> I suggest going to stage6.divx.com, they have an amazing array of
> >> videos of all kinds, including AMVs, and you can download DiVX
> >> software to play them. This one surprised me, I don't recognize
> >> the episode, I'm thinking either an OVA or an extra on one of the
> >> R2 DVDs. I assume someone will correct me on this... ^=====^
> >>
> >> http://www.stage6.com/AlphaHack/video/1659077/Shining-Star-without-me
> >
> > Maybe I'm just unobservant, but where's the "download this video" link?
> >

> I saw it. When the page loads, in the middle of the image is a > play
> button to the top left, a 'download' button to the right, and an 'upgrade
> to' button below them. I didn't download it.

Also, on the bottom right corner of the player, there's a small down-
pointing triangle that brings up a menu, one of the entries is "Save
Video As". Believe it or not, this player is an improvement over
their earlier one, where you had to reload the page to get the
download button.

> A number of scenes in this seemed to be copied from others - train scene
> with head on shoulder from School Rumble, couple on the beach with moonlight
> from AMG OAV in particular.

After I scrolled down and read the comments, I learned that the
scenes all come from near the end of episode 22. Someone also
transcribed the lyrics in romaji and translated them in English
in the comments.

Rob Kelk

Feb 21, 2008, 8:17:01 AM2/21/08
On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:39:26 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
wrote:

>In article <8budnfPuMZYocSHa...@comcast.com>,
> "Aje RavenStar" <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:55:20 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
>> > wrote:

<snip>

>> > Maybe I'm just unobservant, but where's the "download this video" link?
>> >

>> I saw it. When the page loads, in the middle of the image is a > play
>> button to the top left, a 'download' button to the right, and an 'upgrade
>> to' button below them. I didn't download it.
>
> Also, on the bottom right corner of the player, there's a small down-
> pointing triangle that brings up a menu, one of the entries is "Save
> Video As". Believe it or not, this player is an improvement over
> their earlier one, where you had to reload the page to get the
> download button.

A-ha! Need to install new software...

Thanks, Aje and Cap.

<snip>

elsie

Feb 23, 2008, 11:45:31 AM2/23/08

That Tutu video has brought a lot of people to the show.

laurie

sanjian

Feb 23, 2008, 7:11:33 PM2/23/08

I may have to make a Netflix account to see it. It doesn't look like what I
expected it to. But, then, it's an AMV, so that can be deceiving.

elsie

Feb 23, 2008, 11:02:10 PM2/23/08

Tutu is one of those shows you think is just for 10-year-old girls who
study ballet, but then you watch it ....

It's really a show about telling stories and what happens when an author
tries to keep the story going past his death.

laurie

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 24, 2008, 2:41:05 AM2/24/08
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 7:11pm-0500, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:

I've also known that video has brought a lot of people off the show. ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 24, 2008, 3:02:47 AM2/24/08
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:02pm-0500, elsie <lcub...@earthlink.net>:

> sanjian wrote:
> > elsie wrote:

> > > That Tutu video has brought a lot of people to the show.
> >
> > I may have to make a Netflix account to see it. It doesn't look like
> > what I expected it to. But, then, it's an AMV, so that can be
> > deceiving.
>
> Tutu is one of those shows you think is just for 10-year-old girls who study
> ballet, but then you watch it ....

Unfortunately, seems it's one of those shows
with an unfortunate title (am I being redundant?).

Anybody else can think of otherwise good shows with unfortunate titles?
How about Doctor Who?
A History of Violence?
Jackass: The Movie? ^_^

Laters. =)

STan

sanjian

Feb 24, 2008, 7:01:25 AM2/24/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:02pm-0500, elsie lcub...@earthlink.net:

> Unfortunately, seems it's one of those shows

> with an unfortunate title (am I being redundant?).
>
> Anybody else can think of otherwise good shows with unfortunate
> titles?
> How about Doctor Who?
> A History of Violence?

That would get me to watch, actually.

> Jackass: The Movie? ^_^

How is that unfortunate?

Relic

Feb 24, 2008, 12:41:43 PM2/24/08

Bubblegum Crisis. I put off watching that for a long time (I first
started seeing the name around the time Animeigo started distributing
it here in the US), simply because I thought the name sounded stupid.
But after I rented a copy from Neo Tokyo International (A small anime
and game store near OSU in the early 90s; ah the glory days ^_^) I
enjoyed it a lot (Bubblegum Crash, not so much). I still have the DVD
set in my collection.

> Laters. =)
>
> STan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 24, 2008, 11:24:14 PM2/24/08
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 7:01am-0500, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> > Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:02pm-0500, elsie lcub...@earthlink.net:
>
> > Unfortunately, seems it's one of those shows
> > with an unfortunate title (am I being redundant?).
> >
> > Anybody else can think of otherwise good shows with unfortunate
> > titles? How about Doctor Who?
> > A History of Violence?
>
> That would get me to watch, actually.

Oh yeah, I forgot, this is America! ^_^

> > Jackass: The Movie? ^_^
>
> How is that unfortunate?

That you didn't watch it? ;-)

sanjian

Feb 25, 2008, 5:33:51 AM2/25/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Sun, 24 Feb 2008 7:01am-0500, sanjian mun...@vt.edu:

>>> Jackass: The Movie? ^_^
>>
>> How is that unfortunate?
>>

> That you didn't watch it? ;-)

How is that unfortunate?

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 25, 2008, 10:10:04 AM2/25/08
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 5:33am-0500, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:

Wasn't that my point about some titles? ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan