Show me the MONEY!!!

garfangle

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:

A) less than $100 - a causal fan

B) $101-300 - an otaku

c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

Ciao.

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Akuinnen

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In article <0da65614...@usw-ex0103-019.remarq.com>,

garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
> Ciao.

$300 Anually wouldn't be very much. I know for a fact I spend over $1k a year
on Anime.. maybe around $300 a month. But I'm not an anime elitest. I buy
lots of DVD's and I have 6 wallscrolls, 3 issues of aamegamisama import
manga. Various Darkhorse and Viz manga. Also a Unit 01 action figure and
Morningstar cold cast. But I would put money on it that many more people
spend tons more.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jim Lazar

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

"garfangle" <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

$300 is a bit low. Can't get much for that per year.

Carl Benson

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
garfangle wrote:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

Not enough categories! I'm afraid to count up what I've spent
on anime/manga even this year so far. $300 would be a small
portion...

--CarlB

David Crowe

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
: How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
: anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
: et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:

: A) less than $100 - a causal fan

: B) $101-300 - an otaku

: c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

$300 a year would pay for a total of one tape per month. Hardly enough to
feed a fix. $300 per _month_ might indicate a problem...

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe http://www.primenet.com/~jetman

Mod team member, rec.games.frp.moderated
Visit RGFM for troll- and flame-free general gaming discussion!

Arnold Kim

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

Jim Lazar <jim...@animeprime.com> wrote in message

> "garfangle" <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> > How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> > anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> > et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
> >
> > A) less than $100 - a causal fan
> >
> > B) $101-300 - an otaku
> >
> > c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
> $300 is a bit low. Can't get much for that per year.

That's about a tape a month, really. I get at least two tapes per month,
and that's not including manga, model kits, and the like...

I've spent probably about $400 this year on anime so far, and I consider
that a modest amount. An income of about $20 a week kind of puts a cap on
anime spending...

Arnold Kim

David Walker

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

garfangle wrote in message <0da65614...@usw-ex0103-019.remarq.com>...

>How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
>A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
>B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
>c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

I'm Definately a C. I've been known to buy over $100 in anime tapes/dvds
every MONTH!

Bruce Linley

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In ye olden post Carl Benson <cbe...@fhcrc.org> spake...

>garfangle wrote:
>>
>> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>>
>> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>>
>> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>>
>> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
>Not enough categories! I'm afraid to count up what I've spent
>on anime/manga even this year so far. $300 would be a small
>portion...

Exactly. $5000 is category c but doesn't do justice to the rating.
These quarter scale resin cast kits don't come cheap!

--
Bruce James Robert Linley | +---+---+--_ | "Ocha tte nigai demo... hito no chi
linley at megami dot org | | |NV | UT | wa atatakakute tottemo amai no"

Matt Martin

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,
garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
following wisdom unto us:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

Crap, man... I spend more than that *a month* sometimes (I usually get
4 or 5 titles a month - sometimes more, and I just ordered the 6 DVD
AMG TV series from CD Japan - and imports ain't cheap, y'know... That
alone with shipping and handling fees is about $400).

Hobbies are expensive. At least it ain't golf.

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================

Matt Martin

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,
garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
following wisdom unto us:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

"The real otaku are the ones with the money."
-- Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo, at the AX Macross panel

Bruce Linley

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
In ye olden post usen...@nekomusume.net spake...

>After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,
>garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
>following wisdom unto us:
>
>> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>>
>> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>>
>> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>>
>> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
>"The real otaku are the ones with the money."
> -- Robert Woodhead of AnimEigo, at the AX Macross panel

"Anime: Drugs would be cheaper"
-- Bumper sticker from a car at Akon.

Joshua Kaufman

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
garfangle wrote:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

You're kidding right? I certianly haven't seen that much anime compared
to most people around here -- but I spent almost $300 alone on two CD
box sets.

-Joshua
--
AOL-IM: TerraEpon ICQ: 5404138

For lots of great video game items, all it takes is one click:
http://gallery.vstoregames.com

Current coupons: 40434NWCT - 30% off (up to $15 off $50)

KK

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

"garfangle" <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
> Ciao.

Well I've got way over $300 worth of DVDs this year, but actually only spent
around $50 thanks to online discounts(though out of pocket $ will go up
once I get the UY box set) so how does that fit in?

Matt Skinner

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
> Ciao.

> Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

Uh-oh, let's see.
$95 for Ultimate Techi DVD collection & Fedex Next Day
$30 for "Tenchi in Love"
$18 each for DBZ's latest 2 tapes
$280 for 13 1/100 scale Gundam Wing model kits shipped fron Japan
Not to mention the over $500 I've spent on Pokemon for my daughter and over
$200 in Sailor Moon things.

Hmmmmm. What's that help number again?

BTW, what does "Otaku" mean? I've seen the term used many times in various
anime newsgroups but I've never caught a definition of it's meaning.

Thanks

MegaZone

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
"KK" <kku...@news.zoominternet.net> shaped the electrons to say:

>Well I've got way over $300 worth of DVDs this year, but actually only spent

Hell, I spend $300-400 A MONTH on DVDs - and some lingering VHS buys (not
many of those).

I don't have the time to mess with all the coupon schemes, and most of them
are with vendors I wouldn't consider using. I preorder with Express.com.

-MZ, CISSP #3762, RHCE #806199299900541
--
<URL:mailto:mega...@megazone.org> Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me..
Want to work for a hot web development startup? Join Event Zero! Contact me!

Galen Musbach

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
For July:
$245 in retail DVD, UY, Nadia and City Hunter =~$400 total.
Is $2500 a year excessive?

garfangle wrote:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>
> Ciao.

Emily Horner

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
>BTW, what does "Otaku" mean? I've seen the term used many times in various
>anime newsgroups but I've never caught a definition of it's meaning.

In Japan it means someone who's *really* obsessed with something...but to a lot
of Americans it just means "anime fan," or perhaps "pretty devoted anime fan."
Emily Horner
Kodocha manga translations:
http://takumashii.tripod.com

KK

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

"MegaZone" <mega...@megazone.org> wrote in message

> "KK" <kku...@news.zoominternet.net> shaped the electrons to say:
> >Well I've got way over $300 worth of DVDs this year, but actually only
spent

> Hell, I spend $300-400 A MONTH on DVDs - and some lingering VHS buys (not
> many of those).
>
> I don't have the time to mess with all the coupon schemes, and most of
them
> are with vendors I wouldn't consider using. I preorder with Express.com.

Well getting the MKR and Ranma 1/2 sets for $0 made getting the UY set a
little easier.
Hmm that reminds me I got a $5 express.com coupon to use.

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

Arnold Kim wrote:

> Jim Lazar <jim...@animeprime.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "garfangle" <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message

> > > How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> > > anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> > > et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
> > >
> > > A) less than $100 - a causal fan
> > >
> > > B) $101-300 - an otaku
> > >
> > > c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
> >

> > $300 is a bit low. Can't get much for that per year.
>
> That's about a tape a month, really. I get at least two tapes per month,
> and that's not including manga, model kits, and the like...
>
> I've spent probably about $400 this year on anime so far, and I consider
> that a modest amount. An income of about $20 a week kind of puts a cap on
> anime spending...

Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.

has spent more on anime than tuition

Daniel McKay

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, garfangle wrote:

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

I've probably already spent $300 this year, and I'm a Po' Boy right now.
If I had a well-paying job, I'm sure I would be spending over $1000-a-year
easily.
-Dannymon

isamu

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00
Over $8700 this year so far. No joke. What's that 1-800 number
again?

--"Charlie don't surf but we think he shoouuld,
Charlie don't surf and ya know that it ain't no good,
Charlie don't surf for his hamburger momma,
Charlie's gunna be.... A NAPALM STAR!!" -Joe Strummer---

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

Matt Martin wrote:

> After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:53:21 -0500,
> Avatar <ak...@pdq.net> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> > Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.

> > has spent more on anime than tuition
>

> What, with your connections now you still don't get it for free? My
> whole view of working in the industry has been *shattered*! ^_~

Well, bear in mind that I've been working there less than two weeks. <g>

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

Animeg3282 wrote:

> Avatar said

> >Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.
> >

> O.o; Man! And I was thinking myself extravagent for buying import taps($22 but
> still!)

Let me break it down...

-$100 worth of Cowboy Bebop
-$100 worth of Outlaw Star
-$50 or so worth of Lain
-$180 for a DVD player
-$40 worth of Excel Saga manga
-$40 worth of Trigun manga
-$50 worth of Maison Ikkoku manga
-$50 worth of Tenchi manga
-$50 worth of Ranma manga
-$30 worth of Blade of the Immortal manga
-$15 for YUA manga
-$30 for OMG manga
-$100 worth of import CDs

Plus a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, like Castle of Cagliostro, the
Tenchi DVD box, and three Trigun DVDs (once the next one ships. ;p) And
about $50 a year each for Animerica and Animerica Extra, now with Super
Manga Blast and the occasional issue of Pulp.

That's scrimping, for me. Last year, Slayers Next plus Escaflowne plus
Saber Marionette plus the J Again box plus Tylor plus KOR plus a whole
load of miscellaneous stuff, and that's just anime (probably at least
another $300 on translated manga and $200 worth of art books alone).

The reason? I quit my old job in January, did part-time tax work in
February, and hung out as an unemployed student through April. ;p When
you've got income, you can afford anime...

just wait until I'm out of law school! ^_^

Jul 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/12/00

Animeg3282 wrote:

> Matt said:
>
> >I remember being in the same situation when I worked concession at a
> >movie theater. Man, those days sucked...
>
> Heh, I'm sure bagging is even worse.

I did a stint checking groceries for a couple months before I fell into
the Funco job. Yeah, definitely sucks eggs. I have no intentions of ever
wearing a nametag again, unless it's a security badge. ;p

> >Get to know Perl well (and maybe some databasing as well) and a good
> >knowledge of Unix administration and get into the web development /
> >sysadmin field... that's what I did. (Although if you *really* want
> >to be a sysadmin, you may need to have your head checked ^_^;;)
> >

> But by the time I get to use it to be in a job, won't I be able to get a real
> job that doesn't invovle fiddling with computers? *is not a geek*

Yes, but most "real jobs" don't pay as well as fiddling with computers.
;p

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Garfangle said:

>How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:

>A) less than $100 - a causal fan

This is how I used to be.

>B) $101-300 - an otaku

More like I am now since I have a job and the Anime Project in place. I've
spent $91 so far.

Hana no Kaitou
Pledged to the Way of the Wimp
"We've got no souls, you know"-Sproutling, LOM.
http://members.fortunecity.com/animeg3282 <---Fancy Lala Club! All better now!
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=104305

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:53:21 -0500,
Avatar <ak...@pdq.net> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.

> has spent more on anime than tuition

What, with your connections now you still don't get it for free? My
whole view of working in the industry has been *shattered*! ^_~

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

The more laws and order are made prominent, the more thieves and
robbers there will be.
-- Lao Tsu

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Avatar said

>Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.

O.o; Man! And I was thinking myself extravagent for buying import taps($22 but
still!)

Hana no Kaitou

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on 13 Jul 2000 02:19:35 GMT,
Animeg3282 <anime...@aol.compelsia> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> Avatar said
>

> >Yeah. I'm easily up to $800 and I've been -scrimping-.
> >

> O.o; Man! And I was thinking myself extravagent for buying import taps($22 but
> still!)

You may realize you've gone over the edge when you spend $400 on
imports at a pop... on top of the usual domestic purchases (series in
more or less monthly release I'm collecting, like Tenchi Universe,
Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, etc.).

Heck, I've got about 6 or 7 DVDs on my shelf I bought a while back
that I haven't even gotten around to watching yet.

(It's a good thing I have a job good enough to support
this... Otherwise - ouch.)

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

Nothing in life is more exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
-- Winston Churchill

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Matt said;

>You may realize you've gone over the edge when you spend $400 on
>imports at a pop... on top of the usual domestic purchases (series in
>more or less monthly release I'm collecting, like Tenchi Universe,
>Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, etc.).

O.o;; a pop? let's see..twice a month's pay for me at normal work levels(16
hours) and just at the level for a month's large load of work hours (24)..

>Heck, I've got about 6 or 7 DVDs on my shelf I bought a while back
>that I haven't even gotten around to watching yet.

MAN O.o; I'm trying to sell off some of my anime,though. I don't like wasting
shelf space in my tiny room.

>(It's a good thing I have a job good enough to support
>this... Otherwise - ouch.)
>
>--

Yes, you are lucky. There's no decent jobs here at all! ^_^;

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on 13 Jul 2000 02:39:25 GMT,

Animeg3282 <anime...@aol.compelsia> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> Matt said;

> >You may realize you've gone over the edge when you spend $400 on
> >imports at a pop... on top of the usual domestic purchases (series in
> >more or less monthly release I'm collecting, like Tenchi Universe,
> >Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, etc.).
> >

> O.o;; a pop? let's see..twice a month's pay for me at normal work levels(16
> hours) and just at the level for a month's large load of work hours (24)..

I remember being in the same situation when I worked concession at a

movie theater. Man, those days sucked...

> >(It's a good thing I have a job good enough to support
> >this... Otherwise - ouch.)
> >
> >--
>
> Yes, you are lucky. There's no decent jobs here at all! ^_^;

Get to know Perl well (and maybe some databasing as well) and a good

knowledge of Unix administration and get into the web development /
sysadmin field... that's what I did. (Although if you *really* want
to be a sysadmin, you may need to have your head checked ^_^;;)

(It's funny... there's some sort of correlation with that - I know two
web developers personally that are anime fans, as well as two other
sysadmins that are too. And then there's Rob Kelk, the newsadmin, and
MegaZone the web developer/engineer/whathaveyou.)

SPrintF

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:01:59 GMT, "Matt Skinner"
<ski...@cfl.rr.comNO_SPAM> wrote:

>BTW, what does "Otaku" mean? I've seen the term used many times in various
>anime newsgroups but I've never caught a definition of it's meaning.

"Otaku" is the polite Japanese word for "house" (compare to English,
"residence").

An "otaku" is a fan who is pretty much housebound by his or her
addiction to a hobby. More generally, a "serious" fan (eg, a
"Trekkie"). The term is not quite as perjorative as it used to be.

"Now, hold that pose. Gotcha! Now God has a tree in His neck." --- Hellboy

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Matt said:

>I remember being in the same situation when I worked concession at a
>movie theater. Man, those days sucked...

Heh, I'm sure bagging is even worse.

>Get to know Perl well (and maybe some databasing as well) and a good
>knowledge of Unix administration and get into the web development /
>sysadmin field... that's what I did. (Although if you *really* want
>to be a sysadmin, you may need to have your head checked ^_^;;)

But by the time I get to use it to be in a job, won't I be able to get a real

job that doesn't invovle fiddling with computers? *is not a geek*

Hana no Kaitou

SPrintF

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700, garfangle
<garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>et al but incl. movie tickets)?

Until the last year, I spent no more than US $200 a year. There just
wasn't enough stuff available that I wanted. (And, man, getting
_legal_ Miyazaki videos from Japan was *way* expensive. Still, you
have to support the artists you admire.)

In the last 18 months I've spent a ludicrous amount of money on anime.
This is not all that surprising, since, for DVD enthusiasts like
myself, there are *decades* of worthwhile material to collect.
(*Finally* I have CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO!!! Hoodyhoo!)

I have tried to limit myself to US $200 a month, but admit I don't
count box sets against this total (which, of course, can easily double
the expense) (but, darn it, how could I *not* get the FUSHIGI YUUGI
Shizuka box?!)

I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."

Luckily, I'm one of those UNIX/Web developer/code fu types that one of
the other posters referred to, so the money isn't really an issue for
me.

Could be worse. I could own a boat.

SPrintF --- Master of the Java Sutra

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:48:28 GMT,
SPrintF <SPr...@command.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
> this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."

Actually... [looks at video shelf]... I, um, don't own anything
live-action...

(Although I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kurosawa films.)

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is supposed
to be doing at the moment.
-- Robert Benchley

Tim Brown

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in article
<0da65614...@usw-ex0103-019.remarq.com>...

> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions

> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:

> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

More than $300, easy. I spend a third of that on one CD Japan order -_-()

Most of what I buy is from internet orders. Artbooks, import CDs and DVDs,
and sometimes tapes.

engine-chan -_-()

Tim Brown

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

isamu <isamu99...@pacificnet.net.invalid> wrote in article
<04b3ba2c...@usw-ex0102-084.remarq.com>...

> Over $8700 this year so far. No joke. What's that 1-800 number
> again?

You like cels, don't you? (:

Tim Brown

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Animeg3282 <anime...@aol.compelsia> wrote in article
<20000712211658...@ng-cl1.aol.com>...

> >A) less than $100 - a causal fan
> This is how I used to be.

for shame......

> >B) $101-300 - an otaku
> > More like I am now since I have a job and the Anime Project in place.
I've
> spent $91 so far.

Good! You're getting there! ^_^
Once you get older and get better jobs, you'll be a big spender in no time
(:

(I am Jack's violent addiction)

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on 13 Jul 2000 04:31:17 GMT,
Tim Brown <nospam-...@erols.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

Oh yeah, I forgot about cels... so that's where my money went... (10
cels in the past two months).

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

"His eyes were cold. As cold as the bitter winter snow that was falling
outside. Yes, cold and therefore difficult to chew..."

Gatts

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On 12 Jul 2000 20:16:34 GMT, buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org (Matt Martin)
wrote:

>After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,
>garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
>following wisdom unto us:
>

>> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
>> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
>> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>>

>> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>>

>> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>>

>> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
>

>Crap, man... I spend more than that *a month* sometimes (I usually get
>4 or 5 titles a month - sometimes more, and I just ordered the 6 DVD
>AMG TV series from CD Japan - and imports ain't cheap, y'know... That
>alone with shipping and handling fees is about $400).
>
>Hobbies are expensive. At least it ain't golf.

Hah, only AMG? I've bough CCS, Escaflowne, Maison Ikkoku, You're
Under Arrest The Movie, and Akazukin Cha Cha so far this year (not
counting the years before of course). Plus I'm pre-ordered for Love
Hina and am going to try and catch up on Tenshi ni narumon. :p

Gatts

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 23:16:28 -0500, Avatar <ak...@pdq.net> wrote:

>> >Get to know Perl well (and maybe some databasing as well) and a good
>> >knowledge of Unix administration and get into the web development /
>> >sysadmin field... that's what I did. (Although if you *really* want
>> >to be a sysadmin, you may need to have your head checked ^_^;;)
>> >

>> But by the time I get to use it to be in a job, won't I be able to get a real
>> job that doesn't invovle fiddling with computers? *is not a geek*
>

>Yes, but most "real jobs" don't pay as well as fiddling with computers.
>;p

Either that or you'll wish you were doing computers instead. :/

I quit my sys admin job and worked as an electrician for 3 months
before I went back to being a sys admin. Electrician paid 3 times
better, but it wasn't worth the hassle. :)

Gatts

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On 13 Jul 2000 03:55:14 GMT, buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org (Matt Martin)
wrote:

>After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:48:28 GMT,

>SPrintF <SPr...@command.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:
>
>> I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
>> this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."
>
>Actually... [looks at video shelf]... I, um, don't own anything
>live-action...
>
>(Although I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kurosawa films.)

The collectors edition of Seven Samurai is nice. :)

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 05:22:19 GMT,
Gatts <ga...@tenshitoakumas.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> On 12 Jul 2000 20:16:34 GMT, buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org (Matt Martin)

> wrote:
>
> >After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,

> >garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
> >following wisdom unto us:
> >

> >> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> >> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> >> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
> >>
> >> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
> >>
> >> B) $101-300 - an otaku
> >>
> >> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts
> >
> >Crap, man... I spend more than that *a month* sometimes (I usually get
> >4 or 5 titles a month - sometimes more, and I just ordered the 6 DVD
> >AMG TV series from CD Japan - and imports ain't cheap, y'know... That
> >alone with shipping and handling fees is about $400).
> >
> >Hobbies are expensive. At least it ain't golf.
>
> Hah, only AMG? I've bough CCS, Escaflowne, Maison Ikkoku, You're
> Under Arrest The Movie, and Akazukin Cha Cha so far this year (not
> counting the years before of course). Plus I'm pre-ordered for Love
> Hina and am going to try and catch up on Tenshi ni narumon. :p

I'm pacing myself ^_^ Have to recover from the Thing That Ate My
Wallet, namely going to AX2000...

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
mediocre minds."
-- Albert Einstein

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Avatar wrote:

> The reason? I quit my old job in January, did part-time tax work in
> February, and hung out as an unemployed student through April. ;p When
> you've got income, you can afford anime...

> just wait until I'm out of law school! ^_^

"Members of the jury, it is very reasonable and just
to reward the plaintiff the $$ millions for punitive damages.
And besides, I need to buy me all these new long series coming out.
You can understand, can't you? When I'm pricked, do I not bleed?"

Defense lawyer: "If it does not fit, you must acquit...."

Laters. =)

Stan
----------
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
|__ | | | | _ | |\ | |___| ____|| ____|
|_______| |__| |__| |__|___| \ ___|_______|______|______|
__| | ( )
/ _ | |/ Stanlee Dometita sta...@www.cif.rochester.edu
| ( _| | U of Rochester www.cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/___ |__| |__|___| \ ___|

Galen Musbach

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Matt Martin wrote:

> After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:48:28 GMT,
> SPrintF <SPr...@command.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:
>
> > I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
> > this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."
>
> Actually... [looks at video shelf]... I, um, don't own anything
> live-action...
>
> (Although I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kurosawa films.)

I have Jackie Chan's City Hunter, the Black Adder Box,
and some Monty Python.

-Galen

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Yeah, that's something. By operating a computer in some capacity, I can
sit on my rear end instead of doing heavy lifting or cramming myself in
awkward places... and demand superior air conditioning "for my
equipment". ^_^

is in a room with three computers and six VCRs!

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Avatar wrote:
>

> > The reason? I quit my old job in January, did part-time tax work in
> > February, and hung out as an unemployed student through April. ;p When
> > you've got income, you can afford anime...

> > just wait until I'm out of law school! ^_^
> >

> "Members of the jury, it is very reasonable and just
> to reward the plaintiff the $$ millions for punitive damages.
> And besides, I need to buy me all these new long series coming out.
> You can understand, can't you? When I'm pricked, do I not bleed?"
>
> Defense lawyer: "If it does not fit, you must acquit...."

Nuh. Intellectual property law.

"Your honor, this person is a scum-sucking bootlegger. Fine the hell out
of him!" "You're just trying to finance your own anime habit." "I admit,
this is true..."

Carl Benson

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Wow! Folks, I'm beginning to think "12-step program"!
Help me stop -- please!

Well, actually it wouldn't be so bad if my missus wasn't a
**Barbie Doll Collector**!

--CarlB

Gatts wrote:

> On 12 Jul 2000 20:16:34 GMT, buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org (Matt Martin)

> wrote:
>
> >After meditating for hours on Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700,

> >garfangle <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> imparted the
> >following wisdom unto us:

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Avatar said:

>I did a stint checking groceries for a couple months before I fell into
>the Funco job. Yeah, definitely sucks eggs. I have no intentions of ever
>wearing a nametag again, unless it's a security badge. ;p

Oh, I've never been a checker, but I checked the wages. They aren't competitve.
(5.70? People can get $6 elsewhere!)

>Yes, but most "real jobs" don't pay as well as fiddling with computers.
>;p

But they don't pay incompetent people very well *pictures a grown me sobbing
next to an exploded computer*

Carl Benson

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
SPrintF wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 11:03:39 -0700, garfangle
> <garfangl...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> >anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> >et al but incl. movie tickets)?
> >
> Until the last year, I spent no more than US $200 a year. There just
> wasn't enough stuff available that I wanted. (And, man, getting
> _legal_ Miyazaki videos from Japan was *way* expensive. Still, you
> have to support the artists you admire.)
>
> In the last 18 months I've spent a ludicrous amount of money on anime.
> This is not all that surprising, since, for DVD enthusiasts like
> myself, there are *decades* of worthwhile material to collect.
> (*Finally* I have CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO!!! Hoodyhoo!)
>
> I have tried to limit myself to US $200 a month, but admit I don't
> count box sets against this total (which, of course, can easily double
> the expense) (but, darn it, how could I *not* get the FUSHIGI YUUGI
> Shizuka box?!)
>
> I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
> this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."
>
> Luckily, I'm one of those UNIX/Web developer/code fu types that one of
> the other posters referred to, so the money isn't really an issue for
> me.
>
> Could be worse. I could own a boat.
>
> SPrintF --- Master of the Java Sutra

And don't forget pre-orders! They are *such a good deal*. How can
one pass up $11 or more savings on a single DVD just for ordering
it way in advance?

I keep a binder just for the stuff I've pre-ordered. UY was the
*ultimate* pre-order so far. But I really want to see YUA TV.

For a long time money hasn't been a problem -- DINK -- but I've
found a new way to spend it: remodeling the house. Ouch! It's
just as good as a boat.

--CarlB

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Avatar said:

>Let me break it down...
>
>-$100 worth of Cowboy Bebop
>-$100 worth of Outlaw Star
>-$50 or so worth of Lain
>-$180 for a DVD player
>-$40 worth of Excel Saga manga
>-$40 worth of Trigun manga
>-$50 worth of Maison Ikkoku manga
>-$50 worth of Tenchi manga
>-$50 worth of Ranma manga
>-$30 worth of Blade of the Immortal manga
>-$15 for YUA manga
>-$30 for OMG manga
>-$100 worth of import CDs

Ok, my break down is-

$44 for some manga MI, Harlem Beat, CMP and for the 3rd El Hazard tape

$34 dollars for fansubs of MB (2 tape), BDB(Onii-sama E), NAR, WP inculding the
$2 extra I paid to have the MB shipped to b/fs hosue so he can make copies of
them and trade some To Heart for them.

$57 dollars for 2 Creamy Mami tapes with $13 shipping

(this might be related to anime $26 for ToP single inculding the 1380 yen
shipping for the 1223 yen CD)

Arnold Kim

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Galen Musbach <musb...@xtn.net> wrote in message

> Matt Martin wrote:
> >
> > After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:48:28 GMT,
> > SPrintF <SPr...@command.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> > > I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
> > > this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."
> >
> > Actually... [looks at video shelf]... I, um, don't own anything
> > live-action...
> >
> > (Although I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kurosawa films.)
>
> I have Jackie Chan's City Hunter, the Black Adder Box,
> and some Monty Python.

Myself, all I've got is Star Wars: Special Edition.

Arnold Kim

Animeg3282

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
Tim said:

>for shame......

If you got $15 a week, it'd be hard for you to get $30 tapes.

>Good! You're getting there! ^_^
>Once you get older and get better jobs, you'll be a big spender in no time
>(:

*smiles* Yep! *dances* I even have a wants list with weights and everything so
I can know what to buy. The SM movie DVDs have high weight...

Matt Martin

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00
After meditating for hours on 13 Jul 2000 14:03:23 GMT,
Animeg3282 <anime...@aol.compelsia> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

> But they don't pay incompetent people very well *pictures a grown me sobbing
> next to an exploded computer*

Maybe you ought to get a job as a computer tester for Underwriters
Laboratories or Consumer Reports...

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them WHAT to do and they
will surprise you with their ingenuity.
-- Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Arnold Kim

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

Animeg3282 <anime...@aol.compelsia> wrote in message

> Ok, my break down is-
>
> $44 for some manga MI, Harlem Beat, CMP and for the 3rd El Hazard tape
>
> $34 dollars for fansubs of MB (2 tape), BDB(Onii-sama E), NAR, WP
inculding the
> $2 extra I paid to have the MB shipped to b/fs hosue so he can make copies
of
> them and trade some To Heart for them.
>
> $57 dollars for 2 Creamy Mami tapes with $13 shipping

Hmmm... Okay, myself this year so far:

$22 Cowboy Bebop DVD 1st session
$20 Gundam Wing DVD Operation 1
$32 Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer DVD
$18 Ranma 1/2 TV Series soundtrack
$18 Princess Mononoke soundtrack
$10 Gundam Wing manga
$10 Lost Universe manga
$20 Evangelion Newtype 100% collection art book
$17 Maison Ikkoku manga
$10 various Viz manga
$15 Animerica magazine
$52 Fushigi Yugi subbed VHS vol. 6+7
$57 Martian Successor Nadesico vol. 1+2
$25 TMIL 2: Tenchi Forever VHS
$32 Sailor Moon R movie sub
$15 Digimon Greymon model kit
$70 Gundam Wing model kits (1/100 Epyon; 1/144 Heavyarms, Altron, Tallgeese
III)

Arnold Kim

KK

Jul 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/13/00

"Matt Martin" <buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org> wrote in message

> After meditating for hours on Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:48:28 GMT,
> SPrintF <SPr...@command.com> imparted the following wisdom unto us:
>
> > I recently found that I own more anime than live action films. I think
> > this is referred to, technically, as "passing the Point of No Return."
>
> Actually... [looks at video shelf]... I, um, don't own anything
> live-action...
>
> (Although I'm seriously thinking about buying some Kurosawa films.)

I recommend Yojimbo.

> --
>
> Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
> buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
> UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

Blue Pulse

Jul 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/14/00
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, garfangle wrote:
> How much money do you spend annually on anime/manga and
> anime/manga related merchandise (not incl. trips to conventions
> et al but incl. movie tickets)? Is it:
>
> A) less than $100 - a causal fan
>
> B) $101-300 - an otaku
>
> c) more than $300 - call 1-800-addicts

Only $300? Man, that's only 12 DVDs or so at MSRP. One per
month. That's nothing in the slightest, really. Now, those that I'm
scared of are the ones who spend upwards of the cost of a new Lexus each
year on their "hobby"...

For me, however, I'd estimate about $750 per year.

--
-./`- Blue Pulse. Not quite a ninja for hire.
--o- I am blue_pulse -at- niceboots.com

Eddie Florek

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
I just spent $200 buying a bunch of fansubs from a friend. Thats in
addition to the oher $800 or so I've spent this year. I get to spend $300
in anime in a MONTH, not per year. If I could only spend $300 a year on
anime I'd go insane(although I would have a lot space in my room...I need
to get my own place jyst to hold my anime collection).

Matt Martin

Jul 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/16/00
After meditating for hours on 16 Jul 2000 17:34:41 -0400,
Eddie Florek <efl...@gcfn.org> imparted the following wisdom unto us:

Upon checking my order history at Express.com when I was placing a new
order the other day, I was almost floored by how much I had spent
there *alone*...

$850+ since the beginning of June! I gotta quit doing that.

That's obviously not counting CD Japan, and AX wasn't cheap
either... But it was fun, so I don't care.

At least I have a decent job...

--

Matt Martin PGP key ID: 0x512666AB
buf...@nekomusume.net / buf...@yggdrasil.dhs.org ======================
UR Japanese Anime Club home page: http://nekomusume.net/uranime/

"The fool thinks he is wise, but the wise man doth know himself to be
a fool."
-- William Shakespeare

RFE

Jul 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/17/00
Does ANYONE GOTO AX AUCTION?
what about that guy who spent $16000 US DOLLARS?:p
certainly 3 options aren't enough.....

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Филипп Лапшин

Aug 2, 2022, 12:09:29 PM8/2/22
понедельник, 17 июля 2000 г. в 11:00:00 UTC+4, RFE:
Does It Cost More To Buy Movie Tickets Online?
While some theater companies only allow you to buy online tickets through Fandango, others have their own sites. Those convenience fees might be more expensive or less expensive than Fandango’s, so make note of that. Also, consider joining your theaters rewards club if they have one.
Source: https://moviebox-apkp.com/qa/does-it-cost-more-to-buy-movie-tickets-online.html