Dragonball Evolution - Latest Trailer . . .

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 13, 2008, 12:34:11 AM12/13/08
So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
word . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 13, 2008, 12:46:55 AM12/13/08

Thanks for making me scoop up the leftover brain mass that fell on the
floor!

Travers Naran

Dec 13, 2008, 12:54:30 AM12/13/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> word . . .:
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>

I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
live-action movie.

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Arnold Kim

Dec 13, 2008, 1:36:15 AM12/13/08

"Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>> word . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
> live-action movie.

The Transformers live action movie looks like the original Star Wars in
comparison.

Arnold Kim

Dave Baranyi

Dec 13, 2008, 7:10:14 AM12/13/08

"Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>> word . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
> live-action movie.

What, you don't like re-releases of 1960s Hong Kong kung fu flicks?

BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th? Maybe
you'll be "lucky" and really like it. <g>

Dave Baranyi

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 13, 2008, 10:10:34 AM12/13/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>> word . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
> live-action movie.

Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
Transformers fan, thought it was great.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 13, 2008, 10:31:44 AM12/13/08
"Dave Baranyi" <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote:

> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th? Maybe
> you'll be "lucky" and really like it. <g>

Oh, now I know on which day I'll be 31 next year. Not a good omen it's the
same day as the DBZ movie premiere.

--
Gio

http://blog.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 13, 2008, 11:00:30 AM12/13/08
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 7:10am-0500, Dave Baranyi <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_...:

> "Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> >> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> >> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> >> word . . .:
> >>
> >> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
> >
> > I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
> > live-action movie.
> >

> What, you don't like re-releases of 1960s Hong Kong kung fu flicks?
>
> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th? Maybe
> you'll be "lucky" and really like it. <g>

The Japanese don't believe in Friday the 13th, right? ^_^

(In America, it'll be released April 8th... the Wednesday.)

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Rob Kelk

Dec 13, 2008, 11:37:21 AM12/13/08
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:00:30 -0500, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>Sat, 13 Dec 2008 7:10am-0500, Dave Baranyi <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_...:
>

>> "Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
>> > live-action movie.
>> >

>> What, you don't like re-releases of 1960s Hong Kong kung fu flicks?
>>
>> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th? Maybe
>> you'll be "lucky" and really like it. <g>
>>

>The Japanese don't believe in Friday the 13th, right? ^_^

I'm pretty sure they believe there's something between Thursday the 12th
and Saturday the 14th... ^_^ However, I'm not aware of the Japanese
attaching any special significance to the date.

>(In America, it'll be released April 8th... the Wednesday.)

Odd - a midweek release when the teens are still in school. They must
be *expecting* the movie to tank...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"

Impmon

Dec 13, 2008, 1:45:20 PM12/13/08
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:34:11 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>word . . .:
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>

Hmmm I would have thought after GT, they wouldn't even try to make
more Dragonball video. But a live action movie? Do we need another
Super Mario Bros movie?

Fish Eye no Miko

Dec 13, 2008, 1:48:40 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 5:10 am, "Dave Baranyi"
<a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote:

> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th?

Really? Well, I know what I'm gonna go see instead...

Catherine Johnson.

Travers Naran

Dec 13, 2008, 3:24:43 PM12/13/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> Travers Naran wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>>> word . . .:
>>>
>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>>
>> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
>> live-action movie.
>
> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
> Transformers fan, thought it was great.

For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie
fan sites:

Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being
"cheesey" and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the sin
was being directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie
actually was.

I loved it, being an old-school Transformers fan!

Also, I don't hate Michael Bay. :-)

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 13, 2008, 4:15:23 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 1:45 pm, Impmon <imp...@tds.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:34:11 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
>
> <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >    So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> >Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> >word . . .:
>
> >  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> Hmmm I would have thought after GT, they wouldn't even try to make
> more Dragonball video.  But a live action movie?  Do we need another
> Super Mario Bros movie?

Shhhhh, don't give someone ideas!

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 13, 2008, 8:21:29 PM12/13/08
Impmon wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:34:11 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
> <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>> word . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> Hmmm I would have thought after GT, they wouldn't even try to make
> more Dragonball video.

Despite not actually existing, GT made money. This is always a reason
to make more.

> But a live action movie? Do we need another
> Super Mario Bros movie?

These days, live action superhuman movies not only sell, some of them
are actually good, unlike in, say, the 80, where only Superman managed
it at all, and even that rather clumsily (no, I did NOT believe a man
could fly. But it was a good try).

Having just seen the DB: Evolution international trailer... I am still
ambivalent. They've sure changed a lot of stuff. Yet there are clear
PIECES of Dragonball in there. And Toriyama was involved to at least
some extent.

I'll give it the chance to surprise me.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 13, 2008, 8:23:28 PM12/13/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
>> Travers Naran wrote:

>>> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
>>> live-action movie.
>>
>> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
>> Transformers fan, thought it was great.
>
> For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie
> fan sites:
>
> Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being
> "cheesey" and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the sin
> was being directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie
> actually was.
>
> I loved it, being an old-school Transformers fan!

Who's Michael Bay that people hate him so?

Fortunately, I judge movies based on the movie, anyway. And "cheesy"???
Well, um, yeah, it's TRANSFORMERS. It's a movie derived from a show
about some transformable robot-car toys. What'd you expect, Citizen
Kane? It was a GREAT cheesy flick.

Farix

Dec 13, 2008, 8:19:36 PM12/13/08
Travers Naran wrote:
> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
>> Travers Naran wrote:

>>> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
>>> live-action movie.
>>
>> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
>> Transformers fan, thought it was great.
>
> For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie
> fan sites:
>
> Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being
> "cheesey" and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the sin
> was being directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie
> actually was.

Of course the original Transformers was also cheesy. But I believe most
of the complaining steamed from the film using an original storyline,
and it was not a kids film.

Farix

Dec 13, 2008, 8:21:46 PM12/13/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> Travers Naran wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>>> word . . .:
>>>
>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>>
>> I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
>> live-action movie.
>
> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
> Transformers fan, thought it was great.

It's interesting that the TF fans that stayed way from Internet
discussions of the film view the film more positively. I guess it is an
example of herd mentality.

Farix

Bill Martin

Dec 13, 2008, 9:13:45 PM12/13/08
On 2008-12-13 19:23:28 -0600, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> said:

> Travers Naran wrote:
>> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

>>> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
>>> Transformers fan, thought it was great.
>>
>> For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie
>> fan sites:
>>
>> Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being
>> "cheesey" and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the
>> sin was being directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie
>> actually was.
>>
>> I loved it, being an old-school Transformers fan!
>
> Who's Michael Bay that people hate him so?

He directed Bad Boys 1 & 2 (black cop movies, 'nuff said), The Rock
(best one he's done in my opinion), Armageddon (decent, but too much
Ben Affleck), Pearl Harbor (seriously, when the movie should've ended,
it went on into cliché city and bought up the town square, y'know what,
go get Tora! Tora! Tora! and The Dirty Dozen for better action and
plot), and The Island (reminds me of Logan's Run and Blade Runner, but
fails to meet expectations)

> Fortunately, I judge movies based on the movie, anyway. And
> "cheesy"??? Well, um, yeah, it's TRANSFORMERS. It's a movie derived
> from a show about some transformable robot-car toys. What'd you expect,
> Citizen Kane? It was a GREAT cheesy flick.

How about almost zero character development for the Decepticons. Part
of the greatness of the TV cartoon was that the baddies got a decent
amount of screen time so that we knew why they were bad. A
novelization that I read from my library that covered the pre-movie
stuff did more in one chapter than Michael Bay did in over an hour of
screen time. Another thing, it's called TRANSFORMERS, not HUMANS. Too
much time was spent on the Witwicky/Section 5 stuff. Third, I got
tired of hearing the "more than meets the eye" line. Fourth, why the
hell was a giant robot need to be shown pissing on a human? Fifth,
recognizable autobot names return, but we need almost all new
decepticons? Seriously? After years of comics introducing hundreds of
different ones, NONE of them work aside from Megs & Starscream?

Had it not used the name Transformers, and used certain names, this
would be a great stand-alone movie. Sure we'd know who was supposed to
be who, but what we got was a glorified car commercial aimed at
juvenile high-schoolers, the ones who would giggle in Sex ed and light
their farts on the weekend.

Bill Martin

Dec 13, 2008, 9:18:27 PM12/13/08

As I stated in another reply, it's an okay movie, but to call it
Transformers is a bad call. Almost as bad as when Toho saw Hollywood
screw up Godzilla that they have officially revoked the name Godzilla
from that Matthew Broderick movie and just call it Zilla, even bashing
it in their later Godzilla movies. I read the internet reviews since I
am poor and probably wasn't going to see it, but was shown it by some
generous people.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 13, 2008, 9:20:32 PM12/13/08
Bill Martin wrote:
> On 2008-12-13 19:21:46 -0600, Farix <dhstr...@hotmail.com> said:
>
>> Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

>>> Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
>>> Transformers fan, thought it was great.
>>
>> It's interesting that the TF fans that stayed way from Internet
>> discussions of the film view the film more positively. I guess it is
>> an example of herd mentality.
>
> As I stated in another reply, it's an okay movie, but to call it
> Transformers is a bad call.

My wife, a long-time Transformers fan, says you're wrong, and that much
of what was in the movie was practically taken directly from the cartoon.

I didn't watch much Transformers (just the animated movie and a few
scattered eps) but it certainly didn't seem TERRIBLY off.

As opposed to "NotZilla", which wasn't at all Godzilla.

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 13, 2008, 11:09:51 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 9:13 pm, Bill Martin <bill_r_mar...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 2008-12-13 19:23:28 -0600, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

It was.

There was a pretty interesting podcast that dissected every nook 'n
cranny of this film for all to hear, and it best sums up the
disappointment many have had about it.
http://www.collectiondx.com/node/1685

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 13, 2008, 11:13:38 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 9:20 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> Bill Martin wrote:

Glad I never saw that one. Was almost tempted to that fine weekend
afternoon (and having gone to a newly opened 18-screen plex that was
far across town I normally don't go to).

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 13, 2008, 11:19:54 PM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 8:21 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> Impmon wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:34:11 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
> > <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >>    So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> >> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> >> word . . .:
>
> >>  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> > Hmmm I would have thought after GT, they wouldn't even try to make
> > more Dragonball video.
>
>         Despite not actually existing, GT made money. This is always a reason
> to make more.

If you want something nice that was made with the Dragon Ball
characters as of recent, here's this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpj8SVPPAOo

Arnold Kim

Dec 13, 2008, 11:26:43 PM12/13/08

"Bill Martin" <bill_r...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Basically his idea of directing action scenes is to put in as many
explosions and slow motion shots as possible. His worst offense is probably
Armageddon. 'Decent' is being way too kind. That wasn't a movie, that was
a 2 1/2 hour movie trailer.

But yeah, The Rock was great, and I kind of liked "The Island".

Arnold Kim

Aje RavenStar

Dec 13, 2008, 11:33:24 PM12/13/08

"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

My main concern on this right now is that the live-action Spirit movie
coming out on Christmas is the Spirit.

bobbie sellers

Dec 14, 2008, 2:23:09 AM12/14/08
Well since the Spirit should be easy to translate to live action
as the original quality was excellent and the Spirit is pretty much
standard human with some advantages but he gets knocked out and
recovers. His is the basic super-power of endurance and survival.

I never got to see enough Spirit to get tired of it when I was a kid.

later
bliss

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 14, 2008, 7:28:03 AM12/14/08
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 4:37pm-0000, Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com>:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:00:30 -0500, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
> <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:
>
> >Sat, 13 Dec 2008 7:10am-0500, Dave Baranyi <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_...:
> >

> >> "Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> What, you don't like re-releases of 1960s Hong Kong kung fu flicks?
> >>
> >> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th? Maybe
> >> you'll be "lucky" and really like it. <g>
> >>

> >The Japanese don't believe in Friday the 13th, right? ^_^
>
> I'm pretty sure they believe there's something between Thursday the 12th
> and Saturday the 14th... ^_^ However, I'm not aware of the Japanese
> attaching any special significance to the date.

Trivia: name any anime that cites the Friday the 13th superstition.

> >(In America, it'll be released April 8th... the Wednesday.)
>
> Odd - a midweek release when the teens are still in school. They must
> be *expecting* the movie to tank...

It's during Holy Week before the long Easter Day weekend
when many schools are closed on Holy Thursday and Good Friday
and may also have spring break the next week.
Plus, AFAIK, it's the only new release that Wednesday,
so it's getting a 2-day jump on its competition.
On the contrary, to convince theater owners to that move
signals a high expectation for them.

Laters. =)

STan

Jim diGriz

Dec 14, 2008, 8:44:54 AM12/14/08
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 23:23:09 -0800, bobbie sellers wrote:

> Well since the Spirit should be easy to translate to live action
> as the original quality was excellent and the Spirit is pretty much
> standard human with some advantages but he gets knocked out and
> recovers. His is the basic super-power of endurance and survival.
>
> I never got to see enough Spirit to get tired of it when I was a kid.

I'd like to see a live action (done right) version of _The Masked Man_
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masked_Man>

JdG

Jim diGriz

Dec 14, 2008, 8:49:20 AM12/14/08

Amazingly enough google turned up a connection to the title of this
thread: <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1167774/>

JdG

Aje RavenStar

Dec 14, 2008, 11:14:57 AM12/14/08

"bobbie sellers" <bl...@california.com> wrote in message

OT: In style, social environment, and artwork, the manga/anime City Hunter
to me seems a lot like The Spirit - certainly seems to have been a major
influence. Still a unique character, though. Ryo seems to have come from a
mercernary background instead of a police one, and is far more a social
animal.

Arnold Kim

Dec 14, 2008, 11:21:33 AM12/14/08

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message

Does "Jason" from Captain Tylor count?:)

Arnold Kim

Arnold Kim

Dec 14, 2008, 11:22:25 AM12/14/08

"bobbie sellers" <bl...@california.com> wrote in message

Well, the movie basically looks like The Spirit by way of Sin City...

Arnold Kim

bobbie sellers

Dec 14, 2008, 12:08:45 PM12/14/08
Arnold Kim wrote:
> "bobbie sellers" <bl...@california.com> wrote in message
>
>> Aje RavenStar wrote:

snip

>>> My main concern on this right now is that the live-action Spirit movie
>>> coming out on Christmas is the Spirit.
>>>

>> Well since the Spirit should be easy to translate to live action
>> as the original quality was excellent and the Spirit is pretty much
>> standard human with some advantages but he gets knocked out and
>> recovers. His is the basic super-power of endurance and survival.
>> I never got to see enough Spirit to get tired of it when I was a kid.
>>

> Well, the movie basically looks like The Spirit by way of Sin City...
>
> Arnold Kim

That should do it. The city in The Spirit was a dark place full
of real and tempting evil. I have seen part of Sin City.

later
bliss at sfo dot com

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 14, 2008, 1:33:05 PM12/14/08

. . .

Well, what are you gonna see?

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 14, 2008, 3:06:06 PM12/14/08
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 8:23pm-0500, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.inval...:

> Travers Naran wrote:
>
> > For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie fan
> > sites:
> >
> > Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being "cheesey"
> > and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the sin was being
> > directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie actually was.

And the rest of mainstream America didn't care one bit
what those fans and critics had to say.
That's what made the Transformers a success.
Plus, Megan Fox is hot.
(Yes folks, non-fans are actually turned on by humans, not robots. ^_^ )

> > I loved it, being an old-school Transformers fan!
>
> Who's Michael Bay that people hate him so?

The joke about Michael Bay is "SFX explosions do not a plot make." ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 14, 2008, 3:26:43 PM12/14/08
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 11:21am-0500, Arnold Kim <arno...@optonline.net>:

That's a movie reference, not superstition! ^_^

Laters. =)

Stan

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 14, 2008, 4:02:18 PM12/14/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> The joke about Michael Bay is "SFX explosions do not a plot make." ^_^

The Mythbusters prove that it's not the plot that matters, it's the SFX
explosions. Especially if they involve sharks.

Galen

Dec 14, 2008, 4:15:11 PM12/14/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:06:06 -0500, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>Sat, 13 Dec 2008 8:23pm-0500, Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) <sea...@sgeinc.inval...:
>
>> Travers Naran wrote:
>>
>> > For the benefit of people who don't spend a lot of time cruising movie fan
>> > sites:
>> >
>> > Transformers live-action got savaged by a lot of fans for being "cheesey"
>> > and "crap". The critics weren't much nicer. It seems the sin was being
>> > directed by Michael Bay; it didn't matter what the movie actually was.
>> >

>And the rest of mainstream America didn't care one bit
>what those fans and critics had to say.
>That's what made the Transformers a success.
>Plus, Megan Fox is hot.

"Fox's big break arrived when she acquired the lead female role of
Mikaela Banes in the 2007 live-action film Transformers, ...
She is also signed on for two more Transformers sequels."

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Dec 14, 2008, 6:52:38 PM12/14/08
In rec.arts.anime.misc Arnold Kim <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

> "bobbie sellers" <bl...@california.com> wrote:
>> Well since the Spirit should be easy to translate to live action
>> as the original quality was excellent and the Spirit is pretty much
>> standard human with some advantages but he gets knocked out and
>> recovers. His is the basic super-power of endurance and survival.
>> I never got to see enough Spirit to get tired of it when I was a kid.
>
> Well, the movie basically looks like The Spirit by way of Sin City...

Could that possibly have anything to do with Frank Miller being the
director?

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 14, 2008, 7:50:06 PM12/14/08
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 4:15pm-0500, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>:

Ah Galen, here are a few pics that would make it on Megami if drawn
(I know, I know, we're not used to oogling 3D women, DOA excluded). ^_^

http://www.meganfoxy.com/gallery/fhm2008/

Fish Eye no Miko

Dec 14, 2008, 10:33:58 PM12/14/08
On Dec 14, 11:33 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> >"Dave Baranyi"
> ><a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote:
>
> >> BTW - did you notice that it will be released on Friday the 13th?
> >
> >Really?  Well, I know what I'm gonna go see instead...
>
>    . . .
>    Well, what are you gonna see?

The _Friday the 13th_ remake. Sorry, it seemed so obvious to me, I
forgot not everyone would know or care that it's coming out then.

Catherine Johnson. See, _Friday the 13th_ is coming out on Friday the
13th... Clever, eh?

Arnold Kim

Dec 14, 2008, 11:05:36 PM12/14/08

"Fish Eye no Miko" <fe...@cox.net> wrote in message

Kind of like when the Omen remake came out on 6/6/06...

Arnold Kim

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 15, 2008, 5:20:41 AM12/15/08
Sun, 14 Dec 2008 7:33pm-0800, Fish Eye no Miko <fe...@cox.net>:

They could wait for Friday Nov 13, 2009 near Halloween.

On that note, the latest Robot Chicken parodied Jason. ^_^

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 15, 2008, 8:20:42 AM12/15/08
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:
> On Dec 14, 11:33 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
>>> Really? Well, I know what I'm gonna go see instead...
>> . . .
>> Well, what are you gonna see?
>
> The _Friday the 13th_ remake.

I can't imagine wanting to see a remake of something that shouldn't
have been made in the first place. Nightmare on Elm Street was at least
inventive in its first incarnation.

Fish Eye no Miko

Dec 15, 2008, 2:59:57 PM12/15/08
On Dec 15, 3:20 am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net>:

> > The _Friday the 13th_ remake.  Sorry, it seemed so obvious to me,
> > I forgot not everyone would know or care that it's coming out then.
> > Catherine Johnson. See, _Friday the 13th_ is coming out on Friday
> > the 13th... Clever, eh?
>
> They could wait for Friday Nov 13, 2009 near Halloween.

Oh, is October 13th on a Friday in '09? Cool. ^_^

> On that note, the latest Robot Chicken parodied Jason.  ^_^

I saw that! It was... would cute be an appropriate term? Well, I
liked it, anyway.

Catherine Johnson.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 15, 2008, 4:37:30 PM12/15/08

I liked the Indiana Jones contractor . . .

Rob Kelk

Dec 15, 2008, 5:26:54 PM12/15/08
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:59:57 -0800 (PST), Fish Eye no Miko
<fe...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 3:20=A0am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>

>wrote:
>
>> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net>:
>>

>> > The _Friday the 13th_ remake. =A0Sorry, it seemed so obvious to me,

>> > I forgot not everyone would know or care that it's coming out then.
>> > Catherine Johnson. See, _Friday the 13th_ is coming out on Friday
>> > the 13th... Clever, eh?
>>
>> They could wait for Friday Nov 13, 2009 near Halloween.
>
>Oh, is October 13th on a Friday in '09? Cool. ^_^

Alas, no - February, March, and November have Friday the 13ths next
year.

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"
- Ayumu "Osaka" Kasuga, talking about the Ruldolph story,
"Azumanga Daioh" episode #17

Arnold Kim

Dec 15, 2008, 7:08:35 PM12/15/08

> Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

>>> . . .
>>> Well, what are you gonna see?
>>
>> The _Friday the 13th_ remake.
>
> I can't imagine wanting to see a remake of something that shouldn't have
> been made in the first place. Nightmare on Elm Street was at least
> inventive in its first incarnation.

Yeah, I always felt Friday the 13th was a gorier imitation of the better
made "Halloween".

Though I loved the ending for the first film.

Arnold Kim

Jack Bohn

Dec 16, 2008, 5:44:55 AM12/16/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:59:57 -0800 (PST), Fish Eye no Miko
><fe...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 15, 3:20=A0am, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRune+...@UofR.SlamSpam.net>
>>wrote:

>>> They could wait for Friday Nov 13, 2009 near Halloween.
>>
>>Oh, is October 13th on a Friday in '09? Cool. ^_^
>
>Alas, no - February, March, and November have Friday the 13ths next
>year.

A November Friday the 13th is actually closer to Halloween than
an October one!

--
-Jack

Rob Kelk

Dec 16, 2008, 6:03:31 PM12/16/08
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:44:55 -0500, Jack Bohn <jack...@bright.net>
wrote:

But it's *after* Hallowe'en. Telling horror fans they'll get their fix
after Hallowe'en is like telling children they'll et their presents
after Christmas...

Chris Sobieniak

Dec 16, 2008, 8:20:50 PM12/16/08
On Dec 16, 6:03 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:44:55 -0500, Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net>

> wrote:
>

> >Rob Kelk wrote:

> >>Alas, no - February, March, and November have Friday the 13ths next
> >>year.
>
> >A November Friday the 13th is actually closer to Halloween than
> >an October one!
>
> But it's *after* Hallowe'en.  Telling horror fans they'll get their fix
> after Hallowe'en is like telling children they'll et their presents
> after Christmas...
>
> --
> Rob Kelk

I see what you mean. It's like they don't even try anymore.

Jack Bohn

Dec 17, 2008, 6:32:22 AM12/17/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:44:55 -0500, Jack Bohn <jack...@bright.net>
>wrote:
>

>>A November Friday the 13th is actually closer to Halloween than
>>an October one!
>
>But it's *after* Hallowe'en. Telling horror fans they'll get their fix
>after Hallowe'en is like telling children they'll et their presents
>after Christmas...

Or see "Treehouse of Horror" in November....

Fie on feast or famine! I only finished the Halloween horror
marathon backlog the day before Thanksgiving, which I why I'm
still catching up on Code Geas.

--
-Jack

Fish Eye no Miko

Dec 17, 2008, 1:44:56 PM12/17/08
On Dec 17, 4:32 am, Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net> wrote:

> Rob Kelk wrote:

> >Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net> wrote:
> >
> >>A November Friday the 13th is actually closer to Halloween than
> >>an October one!
> >
> >But it's *after* Hallowe'en.  Telling horror fans they'll get their fix
> >after Hallowe'en is like telling children they'll et their presents
> >after Christmas...
>
> Or see "Treehouse of Horror" in November....

Blame MLB for that.

Catherine Johnson. I don't know why they can't just take the Sunday
before Halloween off....

Jack Bohn

Dec 18, 2008, 1:12:49 AM12/18/08
Fish Eye no Miko wrote:

Good gosh, woman, push it even deeper into the cold weather!?!
:)
The "Welcome Home" parade for the World Champions should be over
before the Sunday before Halloween. (But, I figure if The
Simpsons and FOX could have done it, they would have done it
before now.)

--
-Jack

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 24, 2008, 2:02:09 AM12/24/08
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 19:33:58 -0800 (PST), Fish Eye no Miko
<fe...@cox.net> wrote:

>On Dec 14, 11:33 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:

>> >Really?  Well, I know what I'm gonna go see instead...
>>
>>    . . .
>>    Well, what are you gonna see?
>
>The _Friday the 13th_ remake. Sorry, it seemed so obvious to me, I
>forgot not everyone would know or care that it's coming out then.

Makes sense, I was *kinda* aware of it . . .

>Catherine Johnson. See, _Friday the 13th_ is coming out on Friday the
>13th... Clever, eh?

Well, Hollywood Clever . . .

Anyway, obligatory-gay-movie-question-for-Catherine time: you
gonna see Milk?

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Fish Eye no Miko

Dec 24, 2008, 6:42:39 PM12/24/08
On Dec 24, 12:02 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

> Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> >On Dec 14, 11:33 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >>    . . .
> >>    Well, what are you gonna see?
>
> >The _Friday the 13th_ remake.  Sorry, it seemed so obvious to me,
> >I forgot not everyone would know or care that it's coming out then.
>
> Makes sense, I was *kinda* aware of it . . .

Cool.

> >Catherine Johnson. See, _Friday the 13th_ is coming out on Friday
> >the 13th... Clever, eh?
>
> Well, Hollywood Clever . . .

Heh. True.

> Anyway, obligatory-gay-movie-question-for-Catherine time:  you
> gonna see Milk?

No.

Catherine Johnson.
MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

PBDepot

Jan 7, 2009, 3:58:29 AM1/7/09
On Dec 12 2008, 9:34 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com>
wrote:

>     So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> word . . .:
>
>   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
~~~
Horribly disappointed is another. Especially after seeing how charming
the last OVA special was.

At least it's not quite the trash job that my beloved Street Fighter
is getting though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1cuEy82PeQ

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 7, 2009, 7:34:20 AM1/7/09
PBDepot wrote:
> On Dec 12 2008, 9:34 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>> So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
>> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
>> word . . .:
>>
>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
> ~~~
> Horribly disappointed is another. Especially after seeing how charming
> the last OVA special was.

Which one is that?

> At least it's not quite the trash job that my beloved Street Fighter
> is getting though...

> \

Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to
Street Fighter years ago.

Blade

Jan 7, 2009, 9:51:26 AM1/7/09

> PBDepot wrote:
>>
>> At least it's not quite the trash job that my beloved Street Fighter
>> is getting though...
>>

> Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to Street
> Fighter years ago.

I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p

Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer? She is a cop who
breaks up drug and terrorist rings, she will be kung-fuing people in the
face, and they avoided trying to shove every SF character into it. Other
than the fact I think it would've been better if they'd just run with Vega
as the primary villain, that seems the most sensible way to go around a SF
movie.

-
Blade
("For you, the day when Bison graced your village was the most important day
of your life. But for me...? It was Tuesday.")

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jan 7, 2009, 1:58:28 PM1/7/09
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 9:51am-0500, Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com>:

> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
> > PBDepot wrote:
> > >
> > > At least it's not quite the trash job that my beloved Street Fighter
> > > is getting though...
> > >

> > Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to Street
> > Fighter years ago.
>
> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p
>
> Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer? She is a cop who
> breaks up drug and terrorist rings, she will be kung-fuing people in the
> face, and they avoided trying to shove every SF character into it. Other
> than the fact I think it would've been better if they'd just run with Vega
> as the primary villain, that seems the most sensible way to go around a SF
> movie.

Chun-Li vs Vega fight scenes!

PBDepot

Jan 7, 2009, 4:05:15 PM1/7/09
On Jan 7, 4:34 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
~~~
That still doesn't make it right.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 7, 2009, 6:49:55 PM1/7/09
Blade wrote:

> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> PBDepot wrote:
>>>
>>> At least it's not quite the trash job that my beloved Street Fighter
>>> is getting though...
>>>

>> Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to Street
>> Fighter years ago.
>
> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p

Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and Star
Trek 5, too.

HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia
certainly had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they couldn't
have just let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather than a loon
with some gadgets I don't know.

> Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer?

I didn't know there was one. Now I'll have to look it up.

Blade

Jan 7, 2009, 7:11:16 PM1/7/09

> Blade wrote:
>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to Street
>>> Fighter years ago.
>>
>> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
>> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p
>
> Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and Star
> Trek 5, too.

Of course I like Star Trek V. It ends with Klingons machine-gunning God to
death. That's basically the best thing that ever happened in the entire Star
Trek franchise. Also, Spock has rocket boots.

Can't say for Highlander, since I watched fifteen minutes of the first
movie, gathered it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a low-budget badly-written comedy,
and turned it off. I remember it had truly awful fight scenes.

> HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia certainly
> had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they couldn't have just
> let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather than a loon with some
> gadgets I don't know.

He was Bison. In all deadly seriousness, that line I quoted in my .sig is
and will likely forever be the most "Bison" line that's ever come out of the
franchise. Also in all seriousness, the movie really is pretty decent cheesy
fun and delivers nicely on several of the cast members (like Zangief), which
makes it an order of magnitude better than most video game movies. It's not
a "good" movie, but it's a "fun to watch" movie. And the director's
commentary (including the explanation for they used the UN POWERBOAT SQUAD
instead of helicopters) is great.

>> Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer?
>
> I didn't know there was one. Now I'll have to look it up.

It was posted in this thread, Wasp. ;p

-
Blade

Derek Janssen

Jan 7, 2009, 8:18:05 PM1/7/09
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> Blade wrote:
>

>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Can't be any worse than the job that Jean-Claude Van Damme did to Street
>>> Fighter years ago.
>>

>> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
>> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p
>

> Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and
> Star Trek 5, too.
>
> HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia
> certainly had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they couldn't
> have just let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather than a loon
> with some gadgets I don't know.

Star Trek 5 could've used a dose of Raul Julia too, but then, what
couldn't? :)

(The fact that SF'94 also had an actual functioning sense of *humor* was
something that probably confused and disoriented existing JCVD fans, who
weren't used to such strange new things they'd never encountered before...)

>> Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer?
>
> I didn't know there was one. Now I'll have to look it up.

Be our guest, and don't see we didn't warn:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/29/must-watch-japanese-street-fighter-the-legend-of-chun-li-trailer/

(I, as fellow Raul-canon defender, staunchly maintain that if she ain't
wearing her blue Shampoo outfit with the hairbuns, ribbon and
bulldog-bracelets, It Ain't Chun-Li. Non-negotiable. No right to usurp
the name.
When it's "cooler", kickass-babe-centric and 90% off-source, that's when
we get the Catwoman and Elektra jokes. And often rightfully so.) -_-

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Derek Janssen

Jan 7, 2009, 8:21:59 PM1/7/09
Blade wrote:

> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
>>> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p
>>
>> Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and
>> Star Trek 5, too.
>

> Can't say for Highlander, since I watched fifteen minutes of the first
> movie, gathered it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a low-budget badly-written
> comedy, and turned it off. I remember it had truly awful fight scenes.

(I've seen the "Rearranged back in order" version on the "Renegade" cut,
and...even with a plot and no alien planets, it's *still* a dopey, hammy
Connery-slumming mess.)

>> HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia
>> certainly had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they
>> couldn't have just let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather
>> than a loon with some gadgets I don't know.
>
> He was Bison. In all deadly seriousness, that line I quoted in my .sig
> is and will likely forever be the most "Bison" line that's ever come out
> of the franchise.

(Can't see the .sig, but can one assume it was simply....Tuesday? ^_^ )

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 7, 2009, 8:28:21 PM1/7/09
Blade wrote:
> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message
>> Blade wrote:
>>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> I think you mean it couldn't be any BETTER than one of the great
>>> unappreciated cinematic classics of our time. ;p
>>
>> Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and
>> Star Trek 5, too.
>
> Of course I like Star Trek V. It ends with Klingons machine-gunning God
> to death. That's basically the best thing that ever happened in the
> entire Star Trek franchise. Also, Spock has rocket boots.

(A) I don't remember the machine guns. Just as well. I recall photon
torpedoes and disruptors, though. And the only good line in the movie:
"What does God want with a starship?"
(B) You apparently haven't watched much of the Star Trek series,
movies, animated series, or even read the spinoff novels or comic books
if you find that the "best". Hell, ST5 was on the level of "Spock's
Brain", but didn't have the excuse of being on a budget of $60k and part
of a show the network was trying to kill at the time.

> Can't say for Highlander, since I watched fifteen minutes of the first
> movie, gathered it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a low-budget badly-written
> comedy, and turned it off. I remember it had truly awful fight scenes.

Great fight scenes for the era. Alas, our experiences with cheap Wuxia
films and modern choreography have injured our ability to appreciate the
old-style fights.

>> HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia
>> certainly had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they
>> couldn't have just let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather
>> than a loon with some gadgets I don't know.
>
> He was Bison. In all deadly seriousness, that line I quoted in my .sig
> is and will likely forever be the most "Bison" line that's ever come out
> of the franchise.

I prefer Vega-Sama, then, because apparently "Bison" was a pansified
and mysteriously poorly-scripted version of his original. The Street
Fighter II animated film was vastly better in every single way. It's not
the best overall movie from a fighting game (that's probably the Fatal
Fury Motion Picture), but it had by FAR one of the best Grand Finale
combats EVAR, one in which the Big Bad was NOT wussed out but actually
STAYED able to take on any one other fighter without effort at all, and
where the good guys didn't pull some new superpower out of their asses
but beat him with teamwork and sheer guts... and STILL couldn't kill
him, just drive him off.

>>> Although honestly, what's wrong with the Chun-li trailer?
>>
>> I didn't know there was one. Now I'll have to look it up.
>
> It was posted in this thread, Wasp. ;p

No, in this thread someone mentioned a STREET FIGHTER trailer, not
Chun-Li. When I think Street Fighter, I presume it's Ken and Ryu. (Yet
another mistake of that abominable Jean Claude "Look at my BUTT!" Van
Damme version)

Blade

Jan 7, 2009, 10:07:20 PM1/7/09

> Blade wrote:
>> "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Ah. You're from THAT universe? So you're a fan of Highlander 2 and Star
>>> Trek 5, too.
>>
>> Of course I like Star Trek V. It ends with Klingons machine-gunning God
>> to death. That's basically the best thing that ever happened in the
>> entire Star Trek franchise. Also, Spock has rocket boots.
>
> (A) I don't remember the machine guns. Just as well. I recall photon
> torpedoes and disruptors, though. And the only good line in the movie:
> "What does God want with a starship?"

Nope, there were machine guns. It was awesome.

> (B) You apparently haven't watched much of the Star Trek series, movies,
> animated series, or even read the spinoff novels or comic books if you
> find that the "best". Hell, ST5 was on the level of "Spock's Brain", but
> didn't have the excuse of being on a budget of $60k and part of a show the
> network was trying to kill at the time.

Ha ha. I've watched most of TOS, Next Gen, and a couple dozen of DS9,
Voyager, and Enterprise. I've seen most of the movies, including the
much-ballyhooed Wrath of Khan. I've read say about ten or twelve books. I
didn't watch the animated series with the catgirl.

Machine-gunning God to death was definitely better than anything else I've
seen from the series. Well, okay, there was the time the holodeck made
Professor Moriarty and he took over the Enterprise and later tried to walk
out of it. That was pretty funny/awesome. Also there was that one video
Patrick Stewart made where he sang show tunes on the bridge.

>> Can't say for Highlander, since I watched fifteen minutes of the first
>> movie, gathered it wasn't SUPPOSED to be a low-budget badly-written
>> comedy, and turned it off. I remember it had truly awful fight scenes.
>
> Great fight scenes for the era. Alas, our experiences with cheap Wuxia
> films and modern choreography have injured our ability to appreciate the
> old-style fights.

That's because they weren't very good. If something is actually good, it
ought to hold up even though now we've seen techniques done by Asians.

(Also, I've never watched a Wuxia film except Shaolin Soccer, so I doubt
that influenced my judgement much.)

>>> HERE those were abominations, fit only for burning. Raul Julia certainly
>>> had fun chewing scenery in it, but why the hell they couldn't have just
>>> let him play Vega-sama (or, English, Bison) rather than a loon with some
>>> gadgets I don't know.
>>
>> He was Bison. In all deadly seriousness, that line I quoted in my .sig is
>> and will likely forever be the most "Bison" line that's ever come out of
>> the franchise.
>
> I prefer Vega-Sama, then, because apparently "Bison" was a pansified and
> mysteriously poorly-scripted version of his original. The Street Fighter
> II animated film was vastly better in every single way. It's not

It had a better Vega fight scene! I mean Vega, not M. Bison. Other than that
I never really cared much for it, other than its mysterious inability to
ever show up on a US DVD with its original, superior soundtrack.

> the best overall movie from a fighting game (that's probably the Fatal
> Fury Motion Picture), but it had by FAR one of the best Grand Finale

It's totally Variable Geo! Oh wait, that wasn't a movie. But still!

> combats EVAR, one in which the Big Bad was NOT wussed out but actually
> STAYED able to take on any one other fighter without effort at all, and
> where the good guys didn't pull some new superpower out of their asses but
> beat him with teamwork and sheer guts... and STILL couldn't kill him, just
> drive him off.

Okay, I won't mock your opinion this time. ;p That was admittedly nice, I
just didn't care because the movie gave me no reason to care about the
protagonists or antagonist.

>>> I didn't know there was one. Now I'll have to look it up.
>>
>> It was posted in this thread, Wasp. ;p
>
> No, in this thread someone mentioned a STREET FIGHTER trailer, not
> Chun-Li. When I think Street Fighter, I presume it's Ken and Ryu. (Yet
> another mistake of that abominable Jean Claude "Look at my BUTT!" Van
> Damme version)

Canonically, Guile beat Bison. Ryu didn't win the tournament in II (or III,
incidentally). And you're being obtuse. A Chun-li movie is by definition a
Street Fighter movie.

-
Blade

Michael Ejercito

Jan 10, 2009, 8:56:19 PM1/10/09
wrote:
>     So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> word . . .:
>
>   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
I wonder who will do the voice of the eternal dragon.

Michael

Michael Ejercito

Jan 10, 2009, 8:57:20 PM1/10/09
On Dec 13 2008, 7:10 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> Travers Naran wrote:

> > Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> >>     So, this trailer seems to be the home stretch for the Live-Action
> >> Dragonball movie . . . ummm . . . errr . . . uncomfortable, that's the
> >> word . . .:
>
> >>   <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo4t8PeqJ6E>
>
> > I never want to hear another bad thing said about the Transformers
> > live-action movie.
>
>         Were there bad things said about that movie? My wife, a long time
> Transformers fan, thought it was great.
I agree. Transformers was such as awesome movie.

Michael

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jan 11, 2009, 12:55:45 AM1/11/09
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 5:56pm-0800, Michael Ejercito <meje...@hotmail.com>: