ADV Rescues some CPM Titles

Herbie Garcia

May 5, 2009, 10:38:21 PM5/5/09
Howdy all!

ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
by Central Park Media.

(Source ANN)

MD Geist

Grave Of The Fireflies

Now And Then, Here And There

The World Of Narue

Thoughts anyone?

HG-Your Friendy Neighborood OTAKUMAN

Dave Baranyi

May 5, 2009, 10:47:01 PM5/5/09

"Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> Howdy all!
>
> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
> by Central Park Media.
>
> (Source ANN)
>
> MD Geist
>
> Grave Of The Fireflies
>
> Now And Then, Here And There
>
> The World Of Narue
>
> Thoughts anyone?

I've always intended to finish watching World of Narue. I wonder if they
will re-release it in a bargain version?

Dave Baranyi

> HG-Your Friendy Neighborood OTAKUMAN

darkst...@gmail.com

May 5, 2009, 10:52:13 PM5/5/09
One bankrupt company circling the vultures around another one.

If someone ever investigates what Ledford and Greenfield and Williams
are doing, I think it'll be very clear they're trying to defraud the
Hell out of people until they can do precisely this to the entire
American anime industry.

They're just waiting for Viz, Media Blasters, Funimation, and Bandai
Entertainment USA to come off life support.

Mike

Dave Watson

May 5, 2009, 11:01:34 PM5/5/09
On Tue, 5 May 2009 19:38:21 -0700, Herbie Garcia wrote:

> Howdy all!
>
> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
> by Central Park Media.
>
> (Source ANN)
>
> MD Geist
>
> Grave Of The Fireflies
>
> Now And Then, Here And There
>
> The World Of Narue
>
> Thoughts anyone?

A: I hope that they remaster the titles that need it.
B: I hope that they retain the extras the originals had, esp. Grave.

Apart from that, good luck to them. They're going to need it, with MD
Geist being largely considered a bomb.

Watson.

Dave Watson

May 5, 2009, 11:20:34 PM5/5/09
On Tue, 5 May 2009 22:47:01 -0400, Dave Baranyi wrote:

> I've always intended to finish watching World of Narue. I wonder if they
> will re-release it in a bargain version?

You can get it at a pretty bargain price right now:

<http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/yqBpLKaNWEn8J5pNow/browse/item/61974/4/0/0>

Or you can wait until July 21st and get it for a little less:

<http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/yqBpLKaNWEn8J5pNow/browse/item/83537/4/0/0>

Watson
Who got it from one of Right Stuf's Christmas sales for $16.99, including
the first volume of the manga.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 6, 2009, 1:26:14 AM5/6/09
On Tue, 5 May 2009 19:38:21 -0700, Otak...@webtv.net (Herbie Garcia)
wrote:

>Howdy all!
>
>ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
>by Central Park Media.
>
>(Source ANN)
>
>MD Geist
>
>Grave Of The Fireflies
>
>Now And Then, Here And There
>
>The World Of Narue
>
>Thoughts anyone?

Pretty good for a dead company; our own "very special" ADV-hater,
who had apparently moved on to Funimation (probably a Texas thing)
must be going nuts trying to figure this out, probably putting on an
extra foil hat as a precaution!

Anyway, I remember renting GotF a long time ago; good to know the
DVD-purchase option will still be available when the time comes . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

May 6, 2009, 4:46:21 AM5/6/09
Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely
> realeased by Central Park Media.
>
> (Source ANN)
>
> MD Geist

That one certainly didn't need any rescuing. :/

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Rob Kelk

May 6, 2009, 8:54:54 AM5/6/09
On Wed, 6 May 2009 10:46:21 +0200 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

>Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely
>> realeased by Central Park Media.
>>
>> (Source ANN)
>>
>> MD Geist
>
>That one certainly didn't need any rescuing. :/

I beg to differ. However, the rescuing it needed was from shoddy
scripting, directing, acting, and overall production values.

Rescuing from licence limbo, OTOH, was completely unnecessary...
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

May 6, 2009, 10:16:14 AM5/6/09
Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 May 2009 10:46:21 (CEST), Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:
>> Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
>>> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely
>>> realeased by Central Park Media.
>>>
>>> (Source ANN)
>>>
>>> MD Geist
>>
>> That one certainly didn't need any rescuing. :/
>
> I beg to differ. However, the rescuing it needed was from shoddy
> scripting, directing, acting, and overall production values.

I stand corrected.

Invid Fan

May 6, 2009, 11:38:02 AM5/6/09
In article <gtriot...@news.in-ulm.de>, Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
<usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
> > ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely
> > realeased by Central Park Media.
> >
> > (Source ANN)
> >
> > MD Geist
>
> That one certainly didn't need any rescuing. :/

Given it probably only stayed in print because USMC used it for their
logo (iirc), this had to be some sort of package deal on the Japanese
side.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Bobby Clark

May 6, 2009, 11:32:03 AM5/6/09

"Dave Baranyi" <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote in message

> "Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> Howdy all!
>>
>> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
>> by Central Park Media.
>>
>> (Source ANN)
>>
>> MD Geist
>>
>> Grave Of The Fireflies
>>
>> Now And Then, Here And There
>>
>> The World Of Narue
>>
>> Thoughts anyone?
>>

> I've always intended to finish watching World of Narue. I wonder if they
> will re-release it in a bargain version?

I loved the original release. I need to break out the DVDs and watch it
again.

Bobby

Sobi...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 1:55:31 PM5/7/09
On May 5, 10:01 pm, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@fuspamma.gmail.com>
wrote:

Why couldn't they picked up a better title than that? I'd rather have
Utena and Project A-Ko if the licensing was still available.

Dave Watson

May 7, 2009, 4:09:11 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 1:55 pm, Sobien...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 5, 10:01 pm, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@fuspamma.gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Apart from that, good luck to them.  They're going to need it, with MD
> > Geist being largely considered a bomb.
>
> Why couldn't they picked up a better title than that?

If any of their reps turn up at Anime North this year (not holding my
breath), I'll be asking them that, since I'm also curious.

> I'd rather have Utena and Project A-Ko if the licensing was still available.

I just finished copying the Gall Force box set, since that's now only
available at a premium. If they ever license-rescue that, then I'll
put down my money for it when I can.

Watson.

Chika

May 7, 2009, 4:21:28 PM5/7/09
In article
<a29e6ef5-ca43-4a20...@e20g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,

<Sobi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why couldn't they picked up a better title than that? I'd rather have
> Utena and Project A-Ko if the licensing was still available.

True. Wonder if UY Movie 2 might to go to AnimEigo now?

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a tagline writer.

Chika

May 7, 2009, 4:19:03 PM5/7/09
In article <24669-4A0...@storefull-3311.bay.webtv.net>,

Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
> Howdy all!

> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
> by Central Park Media.

> (Source ANN)

> MD Geist

The only thought that comes to mind is... WHY? This was the very first
thing I ever bought on import from the States and it bored the crap out of
me!

> Grave Of The Fireflies

I suppose this gets them a little kudos since it is one of those titles
that seems to have some critical acclaim, given its styling and the story
itself.

> Now And Then, Here And There

> The World Of Narue

I wouldn't like to say too much about these other two as I've not really
had much to do with them, though I did see a copy of the manga for Narue
which didn't really do it for me, so I didn't buy.

> Thoughts anyone?

Caught as I am between views of You're Under Arrest, GitS SAC 2nd Gig,
Yume Tsukai and, quite possibly, Magical Pokaan to follow, my thoughts are
currently...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! My sanity chip is melting!

(Yes, reviews are to follow, as soon as I finish something!)

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... Hey, don't ask me, I'm just an Anthropomorphic Personification.

Bobby Clark

May 7, 2009, 4:42:38 PM5/7/09

"Chika" <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote in message

> In article <24669-4A0...@storefull-3311.bay.webtv.net>,
> Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> Howdy all!
>
>> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
>> by Central Park Media.
>
>> (Source ANN)
>
>> MD Geist
>
> The only thought that comes to mind is... WHY? This was the very first
> thing I ever bought on import from the States and it bored the crap out of
> me!
>
>> Grave Of The Fireflies
>
> I suppose this gets them a little kudos since it is one of those titles
> that seems to have some critical acclaim, given its styling and the story
> itself.
>
>> Now And Then, Here And There
>
>> The World Of Narue
>
> I wouldn't like to say too much about these other two as I've not really
> had much to do with them, though I did see a copy of the manga for Narue
> which didn't really do it for me, so I didn't buy.

I did not like the manga. I have all of the Japanese manga and then a few
of the English ones. The Anime was first. We had it as a fansub and went
on to buy it. It is not a fantastic show, but we enjoed it. The release
was as an intro volume and a complete set. It was sub only, no dub.

Bobby

Invid Fan

May 7, 2009, 5:00:18 PM5/7/09

This is the first wave of the fire sale, as negotiations go on and both
sides try and package good and bad shows together to get better deals.
It would be interesting to see a breakdown of which US companies are
getting their anime from which Japanese distributors.

darkst...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 9:09:15 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 2:00 pm, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:

> This is the first wave of the fire sale, as negotiations go on and both
> sides try and package good and bad shows together to get better deals.
> It would be interesting to see a breakdown of which US companies are
> getting their anime from which Japanese distributors.

ADV admitted, either 1 or 2 years ago at ACen, that their strategy was
to basically be vultures and circling the other companies for when
they finally expired.

This move does not surprise me. The real questions are: Where is the
money? and How much for titles people really want?

Mike (Utena is a lead contender for the latter question.)

Sobi...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 9:17:53 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 3:21 pm, Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:
> In article
> <a29e6ef5-ca43-4a20-a56f-e9921bba4...@e20g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,

>    <Sobien...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why couldn't they picked up a better title than that?  I'd rather have
> > Utena and Project A-Ko if the licensing was still available.
>
> True. Wonder if UY Movie 2 might to go to AnimEigo now?
>
> --
> //  \//  Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...
>
> ... Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a tagline writer.

That would be super! Let alone I kinda want to get a decent transfer
this time if the license could be re-established to allow for one to
come here!

Sobi...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 9:18:17 PM5/7/09

Lord knows how long will we wait for anymore of that.

Rob Kelk

May 7, 2009, 9:22:24 PM5/7/09
On Thu, 7 May 2009 18:18:17 -0700 (PDT), Sobi...@gmail.com wrote:

>On May 7, 3:09=A0pm, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On May 7, 1:55=A0pm, Sobien...@gmail.com wrote:

> MD
>>

>> > Why couldn't they picked up a better title than that? =A0

>> If any of their reps turn up at Anime North this year (not holding my
>> breath), I'll be asking them that, since I'm also curious.
>>

>> > I'd rather have Utena and Project A-Ko if the licensing was still avail=

>able.
>>
>> I just finished copying the Gall Force box set, since that's now only

>> available at a premium. =A0If they ever license-rescue that, then I'll

>> put down my money for it when I can.
>>
>> Watson.
>
>Lord knows how long will we wait for anymore of that.

Maybe whoever licence-rescues "Gall Force" can also licence-rescue "10
Little Gall Force".

Maybe that could even be AnimEigo.

(Hey, a guy can dream...)

Sobi...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 9:23:05 PM5/7/09
On May 7, 3:19 pm, Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:
> In article <24669-4A00F81D-2...@storefull-3311.bay.webtv.net>,

>    Herbie Garcia <Otaku...@webtv.net> wrote:
>
> > Howdy all!
> > ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely realeased
> > by Central Park Media.
> > (Source ANN)
> > MD Geist
>
> The only thought that comes to mind is... WHY? This was the very first
> thing I ever bought on import from the States and it bored the crap out of
> me!

Why do we have to suffer more of it? :-)

> > Grave Of The Fireflies
>
> I suppose this gets them a little kudos since it is one of those titles
> that seems to have some critical acclaim, given its styling and the story
> itself.

I was hoping a more prestigious label would pick it up, oh well
(couldn't really think of anyone else anyway besides a major studio or
some indie label that specializes in films like that). Lord knows
"Night on the Galactic Railroad" will never see the light of day
unless someone had the balls to pick that up out of curiosity or
knowledge of Miyazawa's work and would love to bring it to anyone who
might check it out the way O'Donnel had.

Invid Fan

May 7, 2009, 9:46:37 PM5/7/09
In article <4a0388fd...@news.individual.net>, Rob Kelk
<rob...@deadspam.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 May 2009 18:18:17 -0700 (PDT), Sobi...@gmail.com wrote:

> > MD

> >> If any of their reps turn up at Anime North this year (not holding my
> >> breath), I'll be asking them that, since I'm also curious.

> >able.
> >>
> >> I just finished copying the Gall Force box set, since that's now only
> >> available at a premium. =A0If they ever license-rescue that, then I'll
> >> put down my money for it when I can.
> >>
> >> Watson.
> >
> >Lord knows how long will we wait for anymore of that.
>
> Maybe whoever licence-rescues "Gall Force" can also licence-rescue "10
> Little Gall Force".
>
> Maybe that could even be AnimEigo.
>
> (Hey, a guy can dream...)

We never did get what I assume the last Gall Force series was, Gall
Force Revolution (?). Given what crap New Era was, I'm not surprised
yet I would like to have seen it.

Arnold Kim

May 8, 2009, 6:50:50 AM5/8/09
Chika wrote:
> In article <24669-4A0...@storefull-3311.bay.webtv.net>,
> Herbie Garcia <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote:
>> Howdy all!
>
>> ADV Films has announced they picked a few Anime Titles formely
>> realeased by Central Park Media.
>
>> (Source ANN)
>
>> MD Geist
>
> The only thought that comes to mind is... WHY? This was the very first
> thing I ever bought on import from the States and it bored the crap
> out of me!

All I could think of is maybe to provide some perspective when someone calls
XYZ anime "worst anime EVUR!"

Arnold Kim

Chika

May 9, 2009, 1:26:40 PM5/9/09
In article <4a040e8a$0$5388$607e...@cv.net>, Arnold Kim

Possibly, but then I've seen so many that might qualify for that title.
Anyone remember Debutante Detective Corps? Odin? The Dark Myth?

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... Things are not as bad as they seem - they're worse

Invid Fan

May 9, 2009, 10:47:07 PM5/9/09
In article <5058d72b...@no.spam.here>, Chika
<miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4a040e8a$0$5388$607e...@cv.net>, Arnold Kim
> <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
> > Chika wrote:

> > > The only thought that comes to mind is... WHY? This was the very first
> > > thing I ever bought on import from the States and it bored the crap
> > > out of me!
>
> > All I could think of is maybe to provide some perspective when someone
> > calls XYZ anime "worst anime EVUR!"
>
> Possibly, but then I've seen so many that might qualify for that title.
> Anyone remember Debutante Detective Corps? Odin? The Dark Myth?

Just like with live action, there are many categories of worse anime :)
You have your bad ideas done badly, good ideas done badly, great story
with shitty animation, great animation wasted on a crappy script, low
budget "ed wood" they shouldn't have even tried stuff, high budget they
should have known better stuff, etc. Odin is so bad I love it: they're
trying so hard to re-invent Yamato and failing at every turn. Hmm,
gotta break it out again :)

Chika

May 13, 2009, 6:47:45 PM5/13/09
In article <090520092247074533%in...@loclanet.com>,

Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> > Possibly, but then I've seen so many that might qualify for that title.
> > Anyone remember Debutante Detective Corps? Odin? The Dark Myth?

> Just like with live action, there are many categories of worse anime :)
> You have your bad ideas done badly, good ideas done badly, great story
> with shitty animation, great animation wasted on a crappy script, low
> budget "ed wood" they shouldn't have even tried stuff, high budget they
> should have known better stuff, etc. Odin is so bad I love it: they're
> trying so hard to re-invent Yamato and failing at every turn. Hmm,
> gotta break it out again :)

There is that, of course. I think the only positive thing I could think of
in that show was the ship itself. Otherwise... now you mention it... ^^;

--
// \// Mitsuo... Menda... naha naha...

... All you folks do not exist. My sysop types all this stuff in.

Invid Fan

May 13, 2009, 9:30:52 PM5/13/09
In article <505b03e8...@no.spam.here>, Chika
<miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:

> In article <090520092247074533%in...@loclanet.com>,
> Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> > > Possibly, but then I've seen so many that might qualify for that title.
> > > Anyone remember Debutante Detective Corps? Odin? The Dark Myth?
>
> > Just like with live action, there are many categories of worse anime :)
> > You have your bad ideas done badly, good ideas done badly, great story
> > with shitty animation, great animation wasted on a crappy script, low
> > budget "ed wood" they shouldn't have even tried stuff, high budget they
> > should have known better stuff, etc. Odin is so bad I love it: they're
> > trying so hard to re-invent Yamato and failing at every turn. Hmm,
> > gotta break it out again :)
>
> There is that, of course. I think the only positive thing I could think of
> in that show was the ship itself. Otherwise... now you mention it... ^^;

As I've posted in the past, if you watch Odin with an open mind it's
incredible :) Every mistake possible is made, every good idea is ruined
or beaten into the ground. For example, the concept of a "heavy metal"
Yamato is a fun one, but they only had the group record two songs...
which are then repeated endlessly. This obviously was intended to be a
tv series, but instead of say basing the movie on the first few
possible episodes they seem to have collapsed the season into 130
minutes leaving a mess. Characters just make speeches, they're cliches
instead of personalities, the unarmed research spaceship manages to
wipe out alien fleets by modifying their anti-asteroid defenses, etc.

By way of comparison, the actual attempt to update Yamato, YAMATO 2520,
is just boring and unwatchable and the OAVs were stopped after iirc 3.