Still want to believe in the health of the industry? Bye bye to anime at Best Buy stores...

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 2:27:36 PM1/17/09
http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696

And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
stores and selling it exclusively online.

Isn't that about the last non-WalMart mainstream place you could
really find a lot of anime?

Mike

Invid Fan

Jan 17, 2009, 4:51:30 PM1/17/09
In article
<a7b3d8a5-aa1a-4c32...@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
<darkst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-

> sales-online-696
>
> And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
> be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
> stores and selling it exclusively online.
>
> Isn't that about the last non-WalMart mainstream place you could
> really find a lot of anime?

The first comment asks for a source for the info, and I do think it's
wise to wait before believing this. That said, the local Best Buy
already is trying to get out of the CD biz so cutting back on DVDs
would be a logical next step.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

selaboc

Jan 17, 2009, 5:19:45 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 2:27 pm, darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-store...

> And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
> be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
> stores and selling it exclusively online.
>
> Isn't that about the last non-WalMart mainstream place you could
> really find a lot of anime?
>
> Mike

Jump the gun (again) chicken little. From the link (which has been
updated since you posted it):

"Update: AnimeNews.biz would like to issue a retraction regarding the
article after speaking to multiple local Best Buy representatives
since the story was posted.
In regards to the removal of anime entirely, representatives have
clarified the situation and will not be removing the offering
completely from stores at any time in the near future, if any such
decisions are made,they will be relayed to the proper channels and
people with due notice.

AnimeNews.biz apologizes for any confusion caused by the original
article. Thank you for your understanding."

Derek Janssen

Jan 17, 2009, 5:31:29 PM1/17/09

<points to said confused individual> @_@

Derek Janssen (that's a...nice way of putting it)
eja...@verizon.net

Jack Bohn

Jan 17, 2009, 5:52:44 PM1/17/09
darkstar wrote:

>http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696
>
>And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
>be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
>stores and selling it exclusively online.

What is this Best Buy that you speak of? Was it part of the
retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas? And
why worry about what will happen in the fall when all society
will be totally destroyed within six months?

--
-Jack

Farix

Jan 17, 2009, 5:47:49 PM1/17/09

Well, that makes more sense. That falls in line with me having to
special order more stuff at F.Y.E. instead of picking it up from the
display shelves. I do wonder just how much anime is purchased though
brick and mortar stores in comparison to online.

Farix

Derek Janssen

Jan 17, 2009, 6:01:39 PM1/17/09
Jack Bohn wrote:
> darkstar wrote:
>

>>http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696
>>
>>And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
>>be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
>>stores and selling it exclusively online.
>

> What is this Best Buy that you speak of? Was it part of the
> retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas?

I think it's from one of those parallel universes where they say people
actually go to these <quote-fingers> "brick-and-mustard" stores to buy
DVD's?--
At least, for those titles that haven't become Blu-ray, which normal
people buy on Amazon...

Derek Janssen (I mean....Amazon was always around, wasn't it?--That's
what the cave paintings say!)
eja...@verizon.net

Farix

Jan 17, 2009, 6:21:31 PM1/17/09
Jack Bohn wrote:
> darkstar wrote:
>
>> http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696
>>
>> And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
>> be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
>> stores and selling it exclusively online.
>
> What is this Best Buy that you speak of? Was it part of the
> retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas?

Your thinking Circuit City.

> And
> why worry about what will happen in the fall when all society
> will be totally destroyed within six months?

Hey, the Mayan prophesies gives us until 2012.

Farix

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 8:36:43 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 1:51 pm, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <a7b3d8a5-aa1a-4c32-9eeb-946960ad1...@s9g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
>
> <darkstar7...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-store...

> > sales-online-696
>
> > And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
> > be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
> > stores and selling it exclusively online.
>
> > Isn't that about the last non-WalMart mainstream place you could
> > really find a lot of anime?
>
> The first comment asks for a source for the info, and I do think it's
> wise to wait before believing this. That said, the local Best Buy
> already is trying to get out of the CD biz so cutting back on DVDs
> would be a logical next step.

... especially given that a lot of their DVD sales appear to be single
DVDs, and we all know what anime is trying to do in that regard.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 8:40:24 PM1/17/09

Somebody told them to STFU.

Somebody told them to retract, or else.

Sorry, horse out of barn -- and, on top of that, there has been
discussion for several days in circles I've been reading that at least
some anime DVDs (*cough*Bandai*cough*) are _already being
discontinued.

We might have to wait a few months to find out, but, given the
anecdotal evidence which is on the threads already (there are a number
of people already having serious difficulties even finding titles with
the stature of Ouran v.2 in BB stores now), I'd say that, at best, you
have a situation which (much like the ADV-Sojitz debacle) somebody
didn't want public.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 8:42:13 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 2:52 pm, Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net> wrote:

> What is this Best Buy that you speak of?  Was it part of the
> retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas?  And
> why worry about what will happen in the fall when all society
> will be totally destroyed within six months?

I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
before you get so flippant.

I just post this to slap the delusionals around some more.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2009, 8:51:06 PM1/17/09
On Jan 17, 2:47 pm, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, that makes more sense. That falls in line with me having to
> special order more stuff at F.Y.E. instead of picking it up from the
> display shelves. I do wonder just how much anime is purchased though
> brick and mortar stores in comparison to online.

Well, we do have the info that, first six months of 2008, it was
estimated that 30-40% of all anime sales were through just WalMart...

(http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13189.html)

Mike

paul_0090

Jan 17, 2009, 10:15:53 PM1/17/09

A documentary also claim Norstadamus & the Bible say the same thing; I'm
waiting for the date where Shiva does the dance (this is the "age" for
the dance to destroy the universe).

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 18, 2009, 9:43:55 AM1/18/09
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2:52 pm, Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net> wrote:
>
>> What is this Best Buy that you speak of? Was it part of the
>> retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas? And
>> why worry about what will happen in the fall when all society
>> will be totally destroyed within six months?
>
> I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
> before you get so flippant.

You mean, mostly business as usual?

> I just post this to slap the delusionals around some more.

You mean yourself? Posting a crow of triumph over a rumor that turns
out not to be true?

Dream on, Chicken Little. Dream on.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jan 18, 2009, 12:34:04 PM1/18/09
On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:43:55 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 2:52 pm, Jack Bohn <jackb...@bright.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What is this Best Buy that you speak of? Was it part of the
>>> retail business system that ceased to exist over Christmas? And
>>> why worry about what will happen in the fall when all society
>>> will be totally destroyed within six months?
>>
>> I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
>> before you get so flippant.
>
> You mean, mostly business as usual?

Yup, other than unusually warm winter weather; well, not so
unusual around here . . .

>> I just post this to slap the delusionals around some more.
>
> You mean yourself? Posting a crow of triumph over a rumor that turns
>out not to be true?
>
> Dream on, Chicken Little. Dream on.

Quite sad, really . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Farix

Jan 18, 2009, 12:40:58 PM1/18/09

Heh, I got a big kick out of when the report was corrected, he
immediately launched into a charge that they must be lying. It just
shows how delusional he is.

Farix

Derek Janssen

Jan 18, 2009, 12:50:37 PM1/18/09
Farix wrote:

>> You mean yourself? Posting a crow of triumph over a rumor that
>> turns out not to be true?
>>
>> Dream on, Chicken Little. Dream on.
>

> Heh, I got a big kick out of when the report was corrected, he
> immediately launched into a charge that they must be lying. It just
> shows how delusional he is.

He felt betrayed: Here he'd taken the time to grab some wire story
that'd turned up on a fan website to believe as gospel, and promote it
all over the web as if he'd done the research himself, and now he hears
cruel allegations that his beloved third-party net-geek cut-and-paste
source might have been l-l-l...LYING to him?

NEVER!! >: 0

Derek Janssen (but, it was repeated on AoD Forums, and everything!)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2009, 8:49:27 PM1/18/09
On Jan 18, 6:43 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> > I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
> > before you get so flippant.
>
>         You mean, mostly business as usual?

If you choose to call the open threat to close off all state payments
to the poor and disabled, among other things, to be Business As
Usual...

If you choose to call the very real possibility of absolute state
default in the next 90 days or so to be Business As Usual...

be my guest.

> > I just post this to slap the delusionals around some more.
>
>         You mean yourself? Posting a crow of triumph over a rumor that turns
> out not to be true?

The Sojitz-ADV discussion was never supposed to be public neither.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Jan 18, 2009, 9:03:04 PM1/18/09
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jan 18, 6:43 am, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>

>>>I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
>>>before you get so flippant.
>>
>> You mean, mostly business as usual?
>

> If you choose to call the open threat to close off all state payments
> to the poor and disabled, among other things, to be Business As
> Usual...

...DING! Darky hits Non-Sequitir, and another five points to Sea Wasp!
Who's next? ^_^

(Step right up folks, step right up--
Force Darky to bury himself in cheap unrelated news-page headlines in a
last-ditch pitch for credibility/thread-drift distraction, and win a
kewpie doll!...Only a quar-tahhh!)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2009, 2:09:19 AM1/19/09
On Jan 18, 9:50 am, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Farix wrote:
>
> >>     You mean yourself? Posting a crow of triumph over a rumor that
> >> turns out not to be true?
>
> >>     Dream on, Chicken Little. Dream on.
>
> > Heh, I got a big kick out of when the report was corrected, he
> > immediately launched into a charge that they must be lying. It just
> > shows how delusional he is.
>
> He felt betrayed:  Here he'd taken the time to grab some wire story
> that'd turned up on a fan website to believe as gospel, and promote it

Not at all -- I think there were threats to cut off what contacts they
have. If they claim to be an "Anime Biz" blog-site, then cutting off
their stream of info _from_ the business ends their site. Don't think
those threats were not called.

> all over the web as if he'd done the research himself, and now he hears
> cruel allegations that his beloved third-party net-geek cut-and-paste
> source might have been l-l-l...LYING to him?
>
> NEVER!!  >: 0

Actually, some reports that difficulties were being found of even top-
level Funimation current releases at Best Buy stores pre-dated this
rumor by several days.

Here's something you have to keep in mind: The same degree of
shenanigans that tried to keep ADV's death and troubles quiet might be
in play here.

Consider what happens once you get to the point that anime is "going
out of business" at Best Buy stores:

Why would anyone buy any title at Best Buy, even at the better-than-
MSRP prices, at that point? At some point, they'd have to realize
that all that stock will probably be liquidated, and somewhat soon. I
mean, the vast majority of anime fans don't buy anyway -- this would
just give an excuse to most of the rest (those who rely on BB for
their stock) to do so.

It's like what's going on, now, with a lot of the stores which may
still stand the first wave of closures -- what's to say that the death
of Circuit City won't take out a good chunk of Best Buy's business
because of liquidation pricing?

Mike (And that's not to mention what goes on up the line.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2009, 2:12:22 AM1/19/09
On Jan 18, 6:03 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:

> >>        You mean, mostly business as usual?
>
> > If you choose to call the open threat to close off all state payments
> > to the poor and disabled, among other things, to be Business As
> > Usual...
>
> ...DING!  Darky hits Non-Sequitir, and another five points to Sea Wasp!
> Who's next? ^_^

Do you even read the other person's part of these posts??

Do you even bother to read the rest of the thread?

Do you even bother???

Guess not...

Mike

selaboc

Jan 19, 2009, 8:42:57 AM1/19/09

Funnily enough, those are the exact same questions most of us here
have about you, only we already know the answer is no you don't.

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2009, 1:40:16 PM1/19/09

The sick part of that is is that:

1) I do, even though I know you wouldn't think I do because I don't
suck your dicks and bow down to the party line.

and

2) I really shouldn't, because most of the tripe you write isn't
thought out enough to be worth reading.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Jan 19, 2009, 5:56:11 PM1/19/09

darkst...@gmail.com *ALSO* wrote:

> As I prepare to begin to actually try to write the Hard Challenge for
> Team Ouran,

(The Dichotomy of Darky, ladies and gentlemen...So, who's up for this
year's Pathetic Delusional Anime Loser-Fan New Year's Competition?) ^_^

And then, lest he be accused of going five minutes without a knee-jerk
This Morning's Yahoo Homepage cut-and-paste for cheap off-topic
attention value, wrote:

>I came across the figure for this year's Super Bowl commercials...

Derek Janssen (well, *now* that's getting back to normal)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2009, 2:40:02 AM1/20/09
Deliberately top-posting some of this to piss you off:

You remind me, Derek, of the webpage with a Trojan that got
intercepted by my virus protector a number of months ago...

In loud letters and in sound:

"YOU ARE AN IDIOT!!"

Why?? Let's view your latest turd:

On Jan 19, 2:56 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Jan 19, 5:42 am, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Funnily enough, those are the exact same questions most of us here
> >>have about you, only we already know the answer is no you don't.
>
> > The sick part of that is is that:
>
> > 1) I do, even though I know you wouldn't think I do because I don't
> > suck your dicks and bow down to the party line.

> darkstar7...@gmail.com *ALSO* wrote:
> > As I prepare to begin to actually try to write the Hard Challenge for
> > Team Ouran,
>
> (The Dichotomy of Darky, ladies and gentlemen...So, who's up for this
> year's Pathetic Delusional Anime Loser-Fan New Year's Competition?)  ^_^

Hey, I'm sorry if I actually took part in the Challenges. Beats
having to beat you fuckers back with the dummy stick 365 days a year.

> And then, lest he be accused of going five minutes without a knee-jerk
> This Morning's Yahoo Homepage cut-and-paste for cheap off-topic
>
> attention value, wrote:
> >I came across the figure for this year's Super Bowl commercials...

Of course, the dipshit moron Derek doesn't even realize that I posted
that as a matter of trivia vis-a-vis the challenges.

Mike (As I said, he doesn't even *bother* to read it... So, one of us
has to to show how much of a shithead Derek is.)

David Johnston

Jan 20, 2009, 11:48:22 AM1/20/09
On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:27:36 -0800 (PST), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

>http://www.animenews.biz/best-buy-to-discontinue-anime-sales-in-stores-moving-sales-online-696
>
>And the hits just keep on coming -- by the Fall (not that there will
>be an industry at all by then...), Best Buy is taking all anime out of
>stores and selling it exclusively online.

Hell I never saw anime in stores. I am unmoved.

sanjian

Jan 24, 2009, 8:20:25 AM1/24/09
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:43:55 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> I'd suggest you take a good look at what's going on in California
>>> before you get so flippant.
>>
>> You mean, mostly business as usual?
>>

> Yup, other than unusually warm winter weather; well, not so
> unusual around here . . .

Give us some of that, you jackass! It's not right for the Tennessee River
to freeze over! Fuck 2012, that's a sign of the end times, right there!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jan 26, 2009, 1:03:16 AM1/26/09

First, you want that, you'll be getting the brushfires, mudslides,
and frequent earthquakes that come with the package.

Second, that was last week, the cold and rain returned this week,
much to our chagrin.

Yes, California has mild winters (snow is that stuff in the
mountains, and 60° F is Sweater Weather), ridiculously mild compared
to the rest of the country, but that ain't all we have, for better or
worse . . .

--

- ReFlex76