[Semi-OT] Ben 10 - Retcon Complete . . .sort of . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 8, 2008, 5:14:38 AM6/8/08
Ok, so I guess it's plausible Gwen's magic abilities are actually
alien powers, as that never got a clear explanation before . . .

Also . . .:

- It seems Grandpa Max had a thing for alien females (recalling his
tentacled blue lover from the first series).

- An excuse to put Gwen in a bikini.

- The most easy to misinterpret line in a while . . .:

Kevin: "Dude, I don't think I can pound your grandma!"

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 8, 2008, 4:16:52 PM6/8/08
On Jun 8, 2:14 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

> Ok, so I guess it's plausible Gwen's magic abilities are actually
> alien powers, as that never got a clear explanation before . . .

Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?

> Also . . .:
> - It seems Grandpa Max had a thing for alien females (recalling his
> tentacled blue lover from the first series).

Indeed... <raises eyebrow>

> - An excuse to put Gwen in a bikini.

And the guys in swim trunks! Yay for pandering to everyone and not
just the straight guys!

> - The most easy to misinterpret line in a while . . .:
> Kevin: "Dude, I don't think I can pound your grandma!"

Oh, just close your eyes and think of Gwen.

I like the new series! I'm really liking Kevin, and I hope they keep
him kind of... gray. I hate series where they have an edgy, morally
ambiguous character and they turn him completely good. I really don't
think being greedy is the worst thing in the world (its what's you'll
do to GET money, not that you want it in and of itself). And it might
be nice for them to have him do some... morally questionable things to
help keep in good with his underground contacts. The crush on Gwen...
is that new? Cuz they started with it in the first episode, and it
seemed a little sudden. But it wouldn't be if they'd established it
in _Ben 10_. Well, abrupt or not, I like it, too. And Gwen doesn't
seem to mind, so maybe she kind of likes him too. ^_^

Catherine Johnson.
"Those guys cost me a big payday. ... Plus, they're evil, and we're
against that..."
-Kevin Levin, "Ben 10 Returns".

Juan F. Lara

Jun 10, 2008, 1:15:19 PM6/10/08
In article <2c8n44tck4vooh952...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>- It seems Grandpa Max had a thing for alien females (recalling his
>tentacled blue lover from the first series).

It helps that said alien females still have a, uh, humanoid shape....

I wonder if they're serious about killing off Grandpa Max, rendering
all those future Ben eps null.

- Juan F. Lara

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 11, 2008, 4:20:25 AM6/11/08
On Jun 10, 10:15 am, lj...@ces.clemson.edu (Juan F. Lara) wrote:

> I wonder if they're serious about killing off Grandpa Max, rendering
> all those future Ben eps null.

How would killing off Grandpa Max do that?

Catherine Johnson.

Redkanary

Jun 11, 2008, 4:47:34 AM6/11/08

Because we see that Grandpa Max is still around in the Ben 10,000
universe. So if he's dead, mootness would be acheived.

On Jun 8, 1:16 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2:14 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>

> > Ok, so I guess it's plausible Gwen's magic abilities are actually
> > alien powers, as that never got a clear explanation before . . .
>

> Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?

Ehh. I didn't like that part. Her powers are awfully generic now,
just your basic DCAU energy beam stuff. It feels like somebody in
charge of the new show decided they didn't like magic existing in the
Ben 10 universe, and just tossed out all that great continuity.

> I like the new series!  I'm really liking Kevin, and I hope they keep
> him kind of...  gray.  I hate series where they have an edgy, morally
> ambiguous character and they turn him completely good.  I really don't
> think being greedy is the worst thing in the world (its what's you'll
> do to GET money, not that you want it in and of itself).  And it might
> be nice for them to have him do some... morally questionable things to
> help keep in good with his underground contacts.

I like Kevin too. Problem is, he's quickly overshadowing Ben and
Gwen, who didn't transition as well from the old series. I kind of
miss the brattiness and the bickering and wish they hadn't done away
with *all* of it.

- Red

Farix

Jun 11, 2008, 1:23:08 PM6/11/08
Redkanary wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:20 am, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
>> On Jun 10, 10:15 am, lj...@ces.clemson.edu (Juan F. Lara) wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if they're serious about killing off Grandpa Max, rendering
>>> all those future Ben eps null.
>> How would killing off Grandpa Max do that?
>>
>> Catherine Johnson.
>
> Because we see that Grandpa Max is still around in the Ben 10,000
> universe. So if he's dead, mootness would be acheived.

The Ben 10,000 universe was render moot when Keven showed up as one of
the "less then bad guys". I guess one can say that it was one possible
future, but it was never set in stone.

Farix

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 11, 2008, 6:56:08 PM6/11/08
On Jun 11, 1:47 am, Redkanary <redkan...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:20 am, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Jun 10, 10:15 am, lj...@ces.clemson.edu (Juan F. Lara) wrote:
>
> > > I wonder if they're serious about killing off Grandpa Max, rendering
> > > all those future Ben eps null.
>
> > How would killing off Grandpa Max do that?
>
> Because we see that Grandpa Max is still around in the Ben 10,000
> universe. So if he's dead, mootness would be acheived.

Always in motion, is the future.

> On Jun 8, 1:16 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Jun 8, 2:14 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > Ok, so I guess it's plausible Gwen's magic abilities are actually
> > > alien powers, as that never got a clear explanation before . . .
>
> > Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?
>
> Ehh. I didn't like that part. Her powers are awfully generic now,
> just your basic DCAU energy beam stuff. It feels like somebody in
> charge of the new show decided they didn't like magic existing in the
> Ben 10 universe, and just tossed out all that great continuity.

I totally agree... nothing about the B10 universe suggests magic can't
exist, and reducing it to alien powers and artifacts... d-:

> > I like the new series! I'm really liking Kevin, and I hope they keep
> > him kind of... gray. I hate series where they have an edgy, morally
> > ambiguous character and they turn him completely good. I really don't
> > think being greedy is the worst thing in the world (its what's you'll
> > do to GET money, not that you want it in and of itself). And it might
> > be nice for them to have him do some... morally questionable things to
> > help keep in good with his underground contacts.
>
> I like Kevin too. Problem is, he's quickly overshadowing Ben and
> Gwen, who didn't transition as well from the old series.

This is true... Whoops. ^_^

> I kind of miss the brattiness and the bickering and wish they hadn't done
> away with *all* of it.

I dunno... 10 year old brats are ok, but 15 year old brats? No. In
fact, I prefer the more mature characters and relationships.

Catherine Johnson. I miss WIldmutt and Grey Matter... )-:

Tetr...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2008, 3:45:59 PM6/25/08
On Jun 11, 11:56 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:47 am, Redkanary <redkan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > How would killing off Grandpa Max do that?
>
> > Because we see that Grandpa Max is still around in theBen10,000
> > universe.  So if he's dead, mootness would be acheived.
>
> Always in motion, is the future.

> > > Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?
>
> > Ehh.  I didn't like that part.  Her powers are awfully generic now,
> > just your basic DCAU energy beam stuff.  It feels like somebody in
> > charge of the new show decided they didn't like magic existing in the
> >Ben10universe, and just tossed out all that great continuity.

> I totally agree... nothing about the B10 universe suggests magic can't
> exist, and reducing it to alien powers and artifacts...  d-:
>
> > > I like the new series!  I'm really liking Kevin, and I hope they keep
> > > him kind of...  gray.  I hate series where they have an edgy, morally
> > > ambiguous character and they turn him completely good.  I really don't
> > > think being greedy is the worst thing in the world (its what's you'll
> > > do to GET money, not that you want it in and of itself).  And it might
> > > be nice for them to have him do some... morally questionable things to
> > > help keep in good with his underground contacts.
>
> > I like Kevin too.  Problem is, he's quickly overshadowingBenand
> > Gwen, who didn't transition as well from the old series.
>
> This is true...  Whoops.  ^_^
>
> > I kind of miss the brattiness and the bickering and wish they hadn't done
> > away with *all* of it.
>
> I dunno...  10year old brats are ok, but 15 year old brats?  No. In

> fact, I prefer the more mature characters and relationships.
>
> Catherine Johnson.  I miss WIldmutt and Grey Matter...  )-:

True, but don't ya think that Ben has changed somewhat dramatically
over the years? A little bit more than what you would expect? Kevin
retained his ego, Ben didn't.
As for Gwen's powers? Thank god they threw out the magic stuff. I was
so bored with it. I mean come on; a universe with aliens and
technology is actually believable, but its ruined when you put magic
into the equation, because then ANYTHING is possible, which of course
ruins everything.

tetris11. I miss Grey Matter too. Brainstorm sucks.

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 25, 2008, 6:43:06 PM6/25/08

5 years is a LOT at that age.

> A little bit more than what you would expect? Kevin retained his ego,
> Ben didn't.

Two different people acting two different ways to growing up is hardly
odd, especially in light of their vastly different background,
personalities, and experiences in those five years. Ben has had
friends and family and a normal life. Kevin has not.

> As for Gwen's powers? Thank god they threw out the magic stuff.
> I was so bored with it. I mean come on; a universe with aliens and
> technology is actually believable, but its ruined when you put
> magic into the equation, because then ANYTHING is possible,
> which of course ruins everything.

I don't ever recall hearing them saying that since it was magic,
anything is possible. Tell, me, do you like anything that has magic
in it? Your comment would suggest not.

> tetris11. I miss Grey Matter too. Brainstorm sucks.

Yeah. I like a few of them, though. The little guy who can copy
himself and create a "wall of sound". And I kinda like Big Chill,
even if he's kind of a rip off of Ghost Freak. A lot of the new ones
fell like rip offs of the old ones, which makes me wonder why they
bothered changing them. Oh, right, more toys!

Catherine Johnson. I certainly can't think of any other reason for
the changes...

Tetr...@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2008, 9:52:11 AM6/26/08
> > True, but don't ya think thatBenhas changed somewhat dramatically

> > over the years?
>
> 5 years is a LOT at that age.
>
> > A little bit more than what you would expect? Kevin retained his ego,
> >Bendidn't.

> Two different people acting two different ways to growing up is hardly
> odd, especially in light of their vastly different background,
> personalities, and experiences in those five years.  Benhas had

> friends and family and a normal life. Kevin has not.
>
> > As for Gwen's powers? Thank god they threw out the magic stuff.
> > I was so bored with it. I mean come on; a universe with aliens and
> > technology is actually believable, but its ruined when you put
> > magic into the equation, because then ANYTHING is possible,
> > which of course ruins everything.
>
> I don't ever recall hearing them saying that since it was magic,
> anything is possible.  Tell, me, do you like anything that has magic
> in it?  Your comment would suggest not.
>
> > tetris11. I miss Grey Matter too. Brainstorm sucks.
>
> Yeah.  I like a few of them, though.  The little guy who can copy
> himself and create a "wall of sound".  And I kinda like Big Chill,
> even if he's kind of a rip off of Ghost Freak.  A lot of the new ones
> fell like rip offs of the old ones, which makes me wonder why they
> bothered changing them.  Oh, right, more toys!
>
> Catherine Johnson.  I certainly can't think of any other reason for
> the changes...

"Ben has had friends and family and a normal life. Kevin has not."

Yeah, but Ben has always had friends and family. I doubt his social
life has changed that much since when he was ten. Ben's personality
has had a dramatic change, which i believe cannot be explained by a
five year absence. From the 1st episode, the impression is given that
not much has happened: The omnitrix was safely tucked away, and Gwen
preceded with her 'powers', both without any other threat from aliens.

"I don't ever recall hearing them saying that since it was magic,
anything is possible.  Tell, me, do you like anything that has magic
in it?"

Generally speaking, no. I hate magic powers because there are
generally no limitations to what a sorcerer/ress can do. At least with
science they are limited by the cultures technological progress, no
matter how advanced it may be. ACC once said that futuretech would
appear like magic to lowtech soceities. While this is true, Man Of
Action's imaginations are limited by our current futuretech
projections, like nanotech, gravity manipulation, and other current
projects when it comes to them explaining the science. In previous Ben
10 episodes, the magic part is often just what MOA can possibly think
of, making the episode appear somewhat ludicrous.

"A lot of the new ones feel like rip offs of the old ones, which makes

me wonder why they bothered changing them.  Oh, right, more toys!"

Haha, so true.

tetris11

David Johnston

Jun 26, 2008, 8:25:07 PM6/26/08
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 06:52:11 -0700 (PDT), Tetr...@gmail.com wrote:

>appear like magic to lowtech soceities. While this is true, Man Of
>Action's imaginations are limited by our current futuretech
>projections, like nanotech, gravity manipulation, and other current
>projects when it comes to them explaining the science.

Nobody's projecting gravity manipulation.

Fish Eye no Miko

Jun 26, 2008, 11:35:30 PM6/26/08
On Jun 26, 6:52 am, Tetri...@gmail.com wrote:

> "Ben has had friends and family and a normal life. Kevin has not."
>
> Yeah, but Ben has always had friends and family. I doubt his social
> life has changed that much since when he was ten. Ben's personality
> has had a dramatic change, which i believe cannot be explained by
> a five year absence.

Really? So, the 11-year-olds you know act just like the 15 year olds?

> From the 1st episode, the impression is given that not much has
> happened:

Right. Except that five years has passed.

> "I don't ever recall hearing them saying that since it was magic,
> anything is possible. Tell, me, do you like anything that has magic
> in it?"
>
> Generally speaking, no. I hate magic powers because there are
> generally no limitations to what a sorcerer/ress can do.

Not true. Most fiction featuring people who do magic have limits on
what they can do.

> In previous Ben 10 episodes, the magic part is often just what MOA
> can possibly think of, making the episode appear somewhat ludicrous.

Such as?

Catherine Johnson.

Redkanary

Jun 27, 2008, 12:32:57 AM6/27/08
On Jun 26, 8:35 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 26, 6:52 am, Tetri...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > "Ben has had friends and family and a normal life. Kevin has not."
>
> > Yeah, but Ben has always had friends and family. I doubt his social
> > life has changed that much since when he was ten. Ben's personality
> > has had a dramatic change,  which i believe cannot be explained by
> > a five year absence.
>
> Really?  So, the 11-year-olds you know act just like the 15 year olds?

No, but I do kind of expect them to retain some of their personality
traits. I'm still at a loss as to how cocky, I-love-trouble Ben and
snarky, know-it-all Gwen grew up to be such bland teenagers. Part of
the fun of the original characters was their obvious faults - Gwen's
nagging, Ben's selfishness - and those have all but disappeared in the
new version.

> >  "I don't ever recall hearing them saying that since it was magic,
> > anything is possible.  Tell, me, do you like anything that has magic
> > in it?"
>
> > Generally speaking, no. I hate magic powers because there are
> > generally no limitations to what a sorcerer/ress can do.
>
> Not true.  Most fiction featuring people who do magic have limits on
> what they can do.

Very true. Ultimately magic and tech are pretty interchangeable under
Clarke's third law, except with the latter you get technobabble
instead of mysticbabble. Same result, different technque. However,
magic powers are harder to do well, and I agree that the failure to
set reasonable limitations is a waaay too common mistake.

- Red

Tetr...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2008, 11:23:44 AM6/27/08

David Jonhston: "Nobody's projecting gravity manipulation".
We're already talking about the graviton as if it's already been
discovered. I reckon it will take about 15-30 years to discover it and
manipulate it.

Catherine Johnson: "Such as?" (in reference to magic powers)
Ok, I probably cant give an example off the top of my head, but like
Red says, its hard to set reasonable limitations on magic powers, so
every now and then something slightly over-the-top happens in the
episode which is then explained by the unsatisfactory statement that
"its magic", which we as viewers are then supposed to gloss over.

Red, thank you for salvaging my poorly constructed argument!
Its very true to say that Ben and Gwen have grown up to bland
teenagers, and as a result the show is less fun than it used to be.
But I guess Catherine's right in saying that you can't expect 10 year
olds and 15 year olds to act the same. Hell, if Ben and Gwen remained
the same, who knows, I may have attacked the show for being a complete
rip-off the old series with no character development...

KPawel

Jun 28, 2008, 3:30:41 PM6/28/08
On Jun 11, 5:56 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:47 am, Redkanary <redkan...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > How would killing off Grandpa Max do that?
>
> > Because we see that Grandpa Max is still around in the Ben 10,000
> > universe.  So if he's dead, mootness would be acheived.
>
> Always in motion, is the future.

> > > Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?
>
> > Ehh.  I didn't like that part.  Her powers are awfully generic now,
> > just your basic DCAU energy beam stuff.  It feels like somebody in
> > charge of the new show decided they didn't like magic existing in the
> > Ben 10 universe, and just tossed out all that great continuity.
>
> I totally agree... nothing about the B10 universe suggests magic can't
> exist, and reducing it to alien powers and artifacts...  d-:

Hmmm... I'm suddenly recalling a quote from an OLD issus of
"Conan the Barbarian":
"Magic is just science that the other person hasv't discovered,
yet. I've heard the the_______ of
______ perform real magic, but, I have not seen it." (My mind is
old, so the exact quote - and
when exactly it occured - is foggy.)
Tranlatioon: just because someone SAYS there is no such
thing as magic.. it just means
they do not believe it exists!

Kelly Paul Graham
Houston, Texas

Terrence Briggs

Jun 28, 2008, 3:56:50 PM6/28/08
Crossposting to rec.arts.animation. Antonio, would you mind setting
the follow-ups for me? It'd be rude of me to change it so late into
the thread run :-)

BTW, I caught a recent airing of Ben10 Alien Force two weeks ago:
"Everyone Talks About the Weather", written by Dwwayne McDuffie of
Static Shock and Justice League Unlimited. Dude can write dialogue,
and the interplay here really shined. Easily the best Ben 10 ep I've
seen (old or new), but I've only seen about a dozen eps from both
series.

On Jun 8, 4:16 pm, Fish Eye no Miko <f...@cox.net> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 2:14 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, so I guess it's plausible Gwen's magic abilities are actually
> > alien powers, as that never got a clear explanation before . . .
>
> Sp, what about the other people who use "magic" in the series...?
>
> >    Also . . .:
> > - It seems Grandpa Max had a thing for alien females (recalling his
> > tentacled blue lover from the first series).
>
> Indeed...  <raises eyebrow>

Actually saw that ep, too. Reminded me of a New Johnny Quest episode
when Jessie meets Race's (Chinese?) girlfriend. Jessie doesn't dig
the new chick, and the tension builds to a frank discussion.

"You're not good enough for him," Jessie snaps.
"I don't think it's any of your business," Race's girlfriend retorts.

Don't remember the title, but it was co-written by Shaun McLaughlin
(Batman Beyond).

> > - An excuse to put Gwen in a bikini.
>
> And the guys in swim trunks!  Yay for pandering to everyone and not
> just the straight guys!

This reminds me of our Flight of the Osiris Animatrix discussion...

> > - The most easy to misinterpret line in a while . . .:
> > Kevin: "Dude, I don't think I can pound your grandma!"
>
> Oh, just close your eyes and think of Gwen.

!!!!!!!

Again I say...!!!!!!!

> I like the new series!  I'm really liking Kevin, and I hope they keep
> him kind of...  gray.  I hate series where they have an edgy, morally
> ambiguous character and they turn him completely good.  I really don't
> think being greedy is the worst thing in the world (its what's you'll
> do to GET money, not that you want it in and of itself).  And it might
> be nice for them to have him do some... morally questionable things to
> help keep in good with his underground contacts.

Admittedly, I link the friction the now guy brings. The old Ben 10
crew was too infantile for the action tone they were trying to set, so
these Almost Growed Up teenyboppers suited me just fine, especially
with Mr. Rougish Charm added to the pot.

> The crush on Gwen...
> is that new?  Cuz they started with it in the first episode, and it
> seemed a little sudden.  But it wouldn't be if they'd established it
> in _Ben 10_.  Well, abrupt or not, I like it, too.  And Gwen doesn't
> seem to mind, so maybe she kind of likes him too.  ^_^

Reminds me of an old line from Swan's Crossing, about "the boy next
door/is so more more/than just a friend" :-P

Yeah, I watched Swan's Crossing. Watched every episode of Saved By
the Bell, too, so bite me!

> Catherine Johnson.
> "Those guys cost me a big payday.  ... Plus, they're evil, and we're
> against that..."
>       -Kevin Levin, "Ben 10 Returns".

Terrence Briggs, disowning repressed childhood memories again
Peace to you...

David Johnston

Jun 28, 2008, 6:06:42 PM6/28/08

I'm not sure who you mean by "we". So far as I know, "graviton" is a
discredited idea.

Tetr...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2008, 6:15:49 AM6/29/08
On Jun 28, 11:06 pm, David Johnston <da...@block.net> wrote:

David Johnston:The graviton is one of the most serious ideas in
Combined Physics! They've already predicted half its properties, and
people are already working on the other half as we speak. It's just a
matter of time before we get good enough detectors. The same thing
happened for the 'god' particle, and that was revealed after 25 years
of hard work.

Terrence Briggs: I saw that episode a while back, and I gotta say,
that was the episode that rejuvinated the series for me. The first
episode of Alien Force was....well.... cheesy. But this episode had a
good script; really flowed well, a bit of humor here and there, the
characters didn't take themselves too seriously, and the plot was
simple but not tooo simple. I didn't realise it was written by the guy
who did JL. I've watched almost every episode of JL, and that purely
for the script (and sometimes the action). It's just because McDuffie
actually makes the characters believable, and that's what I look for
in hero cartoons.

BTW when's the next ep? July 5?

-tetris11

Terrence Briggs

Jun 29, 2008, 10:25:34 AM6/29/08
Tetris responds... for great justice! About my affection for
"Everyone Talks About the Weather"...

Tetri...@gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> Terrence Briggs: I saw that episode a while back, and I gotta say,
> that was the episode that rejuvinated the series for me. The first
> episode of Alien Force was....well.... cheesy. But this episode had a
> good script; really flowed well, a bit of humor here and there, the
> characters didn't take themselves too seriously, and the plot was
> simple but not tooo simple. I didn't realise it was written by the guy
> who did JL. I've watched almost every episode of JL, and that purely
> for the script (and sometimes the action). It's just because McDuffie
> actually makes the characters believable, and that's what I look for
> in hero cartoons.

In fairness, Justice League and JLUnlimited had at least half a dozen
writers:

Rich Fogel (WildCATS, Superman, New Batman, Transformers: Animated)

J.M. Dematthies [spelling?] (Legion of Super Heroes)

Stan Berkowitz (Superman, New Batman, Legion of Super Heroes)

Among others...

> BTW when's the next ep? July 5?

No idea. I don't even have cable; I'm just a tourist.

> -tetris11

Terrence Briggs, friendly neighborhood WildCATS fanboy
Peace to you...

Tetr...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2008, 12:01:02 PM6/30/08

Ah, well that does explain why certain JLU episodes sucked. It was a
good series, but not perfect. Either way, I still really thought that
that particular episode of Alien Force brought a certain self-aware
comic light to the series, which is exactly what it needed.

Also, didn't anyone else cringe slightly when they found out that a
lot plumber's kids had powers? For me, it was all about a small group
of "protectors" from earth who were your basic storyboard elite
commandos, and the aliens/mutants they fought with/against. It made
Ben and Gwen that more special, because now the plumbers had alien
powers on their side.

But then to find out that a few of the other plumbers had alien hybrid
kids too, well though its not surprising (aliens are hot (,generally
speaking (,at least the humanoid ones))) its kind of disappointing to
the story, because its no longer a few kids against a galaxy, it's a
few hundred.

Also, why does Max have to be famous throughout the galaxy? Why can't
he just be famous among the earth plumbers? It makes the series corny
because it instills this sense of "honour" and "duty" to the program
which Ben and Gwen must then take up, and it also gives a naive view
of the average earthling who doesn't know about their galactic
protectors, even though the rest of the galaxy does, and even though
the best plumbers are supposed to be human.
How can Earth be so stupid to not know that it's the best "peace-
keeping" force in the galaxy?

tetris11

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 17, 2008, 8:20:47 PM7/17/08
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
<mrman1...@lycos.com> wrote:

>Crossposting to rec.arts.animation. Antonio, would you mind setting
>the follow-ups for me? It'd be rude of me to change it so late into
>the thread run :-)

Ummm, really late but . . . does this help?

--
- ReFlex 76

Terrence Briggs

Jul 18, 2008, 9:56:00 PM7/18/08
On Jul 17, 8:20 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:56:50 -0700 (PDT), Terrence Briggs
>
> <mrman1mrm...@lycos.com> wrote:
> >Crossposting to rec.arts.animation.  Antonio, would you mind setting
> >the follow-ups for me?  It'd be rude of me to change it so late into
> >the thread run :-)
>
>    Ummm, really late but . . . does this help?

Yes... and if it doesn't, it'd be pointless to complain about it
now :-)

BTW, I saw a Len Uhley-written ep that was as good, if not better.
Gwen acts as an aggresive intermediary between Ben and his girlyfriend
tennis player. They go out on a date. Chaos ensues. Funny stuff, as
expected for Uhley. Dude does sitcom interplay like few writers can
in the animation biz. This show's definitely going in the Netflix
queue.

Terrence Briggs, got 5 Centimeters per Second from Netflix. Forgot to
praise this gem after the Cherry Bloosom Anime Marathon.
Peace to you...

Bill Martin

Jul 20, 2008, 3:16:56 PM7/20/08

We're not? You sure about that?