Cowboy Bebop Movie in the works

Herbie Garcia

Jul 23, 2008, 1:12:06 AM7/23/08
Howdy all!

Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.

Should be interesting.

Thoughts Anyone?

HG-The Otakuman

Aje RavenStar

Jul 23, 2008, 8:33:36 AM7/23/08

"Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Samuel L Jackson as Jet Black? (he seems to get all these kind of roles). D
Washington would be a better choice, but would he take such a role now?
Forrest Whitaker is the best physical match I can think of, so would be my
first choice.

Ming-Na Wen or Kelly Hu for Faye Valentine?

Must remember to sneak into Stoff's office, remove Keanu's card from his
roledex and delete his email address from the computers before auditions for
Spike begin....(but I guess we can leave Laurence Fishburne's in for
consideration as Jet).

The real challenge is casting Ed. The only notion I've come up with so far
is to take the CGI cute pet / toy-market tie in character from the Lost In
Space movie and replace current image with one for Ed - the movements,
speech and actions are a close match as they currently exist.

Dave Watson

Jul 23, 2008, 9:13:54 AM7/23/08

It'd be more commercially viable than the live-action Evangelion movie
ADV still seems to hold out hope for. But how much more?

Watson.

Farix

Jul 23, 2008, 9:22:16 AM7/23/08

It's at least doable as a live-action movie and would probably make a
good one if the right director and producer are in charge. That's more
then I can say about some other attempts to adapt anime/manga/comics
into live-action.

Farix

Travers Naran

Jul 23, 2008, 10:53:36 AM7/23/08
Dave Watson wrote:
> On Jul 23, 1:12 am, Otaku...@webtv.net (Herbie Garcia) wrote:
>> Howdy all!
>>
>> Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
>> Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
>> adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
>
> It'd be more commercially viable than the live-action Evangelion movie
> ADV still seems to hold out hope for. But how much more?

Quite a bit more. The story and characters are more appealing to
non-anime fans, and the series doesn't feel "Japanese", so it would do
quite well with a good script.

But on the other hand, at times like these, I do find myself
sympathizing Alan Moore's point of view: why does everything have to be
adapted to a movie version?[1]

[1] Can't find the interview where he said that just now. He has been
giving a lot of interviews lately, though.
--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

DBBrandell

Jul 23, 2008, 12:47:55 PM7/23/08

And they could do a straight copy of the Bebop movie. It was a
commercial success, and that way they'd already have a plot, a script,
all the copyrights ( maybe ), and the shot blocking. Now, I don't know
if they would do a copy, but I'd be curious to see which would make more
money.

DBB

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 24, 2008, 11:42:16 AM7/24/08

A tough, but lean Caucasian, possibly Jewish, reeking of macho. My
best pick would be Jason Statham; of course, I'm thinking of his
testosterone-filled performance in Crank . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

D B Malmquist

Jul 25, 2008, 1:07:49 AM7/25/08

Spike: Adam Sandler
Jet: Brian Dennehy
Faye: Jessica Alba
Ed: ... Adair Tishler? (Don't know any child actors/actresses)

Can anyone do worse?

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Jul 25, 2008, 1:10:46 AM7/25/08
Aje RavenStar wrote:

> "Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > Howdy all!
> >
> > Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
> > Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
> > adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
> >
> > Should be interesting.
> >
> > Thoughts Anyone?
> >
> > HG-The Otakuman
>
> Samuel L Jackson as Jet Black? (he seems to get all these kind of roles). D
> Washington would be a better choice, but would he take such a role now?
> Forrest Whitaker is the best physical match I can think of, so would be my
> first choice.
>
> Ming-Na Wen or Kelly Hu for Faye Valentine?

I seem to recall that Faye Valentine's character was modeled after Faye Wong.

-dbm

Derek Janssen

Jul 25, 2008, 12:52:32 AM7/25/08
D B Malmquist wrote:
> Herbie Garcia wrote:
>
>>Howdy all!
>>
>>Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
>>Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
>>adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
>>
>>Should be interesting.
>>
>>Thoughts Anyone?
>

> Spike: Adam Sandler
>
> Can anyone do worse?

No. -_-

Derek Janssen ("Bang. <body-tackles enemy>")
eja...@verizon.net

Aje RavenStar

Jul 25, 2008, 8:06:49 AM7/25/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

>D B Malmquist wrote:
>> Herbie Garcia wrote:
>>
>>>Howdy all!
>>>
>>>Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
>>>Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
>>>adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
>>>
>>>Should be interesting.
>>>
>>>Thoughts Anyone?
>>

>> Spike: Adam Sandler
>>
>> Can anyone do worse?
>
> No. -_-

Arrggghh. My first impulse is to scream NOOO! also - but that's what I did
when I heard Michael Keaton was going to play Batman...

Travers Naran

Jul 25, 2008, 10:58:28 AM7/25/08
D B Malmquist wrote:
> Herbie Garcia wrote:
>> Howdy all!
>>
>> Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
>> Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
>> adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
>>
>> Should be interesting.
>>
>> Thoughts Anyone?
>
> Spike: Adam Sandler
> Jet: Brian Dennehy
> Ed: ... Adair Tishler? (Don't know any child actors/actresses)

Spike: Pauly Shore

"I'm a bounty hunter... buuuuuuudy!"

But I'm sure they'll cast Wil Smith for Spike. And for Ed, aren't the
Fanning sisters the new go-to child actors?

> Faye: Jessica Alba

You've hit the bottom of the barrel. I can do no worse.

Rob Kelk

Jul 25, 2008, 5:36:58 PM7/25/08
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:58:28 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>D B Malmquist wrote:

<snip>

> > Faye: Jessica Alba
>
>You've hit the bottom of the barrel. I can do no worse.

(clears throat)

Faye: Jessica Simpson

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Travers Naran

Jul 25, 2008, 8:20:25 PM7/25/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:58:28 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> D B Malmquist wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> Faye: Jessica Alba
>> You've hit the bottom of the barrel. I can do no worse.
>
> (clears throat)
>
> Faye: Jessica Simpson

That's a tough call for me because it's obvious Jessica Simpson can't
act or sing and is only there to look at. But Alba _tries_ to act and
that's worse than just standing there grinning.

Dave Watson

Jul 25, 2008, 8:36:11 PM7/25/08
On Jul 25, 8:20 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rob Kelk wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:58:28 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >> D B Malmquist wrote:
>
> > <snip>

> >> You've hit the bottom of the barrel.  I can do no worse.
>
> > (clears throat)
>
> > Faye: Jessica Simpson
>
> That's a tough call for me because it's obvious Jessica Simpson can't
> act or sing and is only there to look at.  But Alba _tries_ to act and
> that's worse than just standing there grinning.

Let's drop it through the floor, shall we?

Julia: Britney Spears.

Watson
Now off to bleach his brain for coming up with such an idea.

Travers Naran

Jul 25, 2008, 10:03:36 PM7/25/08
Dave Watson wrote:
> On Jul 25, 8:20 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rob Kelk wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> (clears throat)
>>> Faye: Jessica Simpson
>> That's a tough call for me because it's obvious Jessica Simpson can't
>> act or sing and is only there to look at. But Alba _tries_ to act and
>> that's worse than just standing there grinning.
>
> Let's drop it through the floor, shall we?
>
> Julia: Britney Spears.

Vicious: Justin Timberlake

> Now off to bleach his brain for coming up with such an idea.

(Goes to join Dave for a brain bleaching)

D B Malmquist

Jul 25, 2008, 10:56:47 PM7/25/08
Travers Naran wrote:

> Rob Kelk wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 14:58:28 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> D B Malmquist wrote:
> >
> > <snip>

> >> You've hit the bottom of the barrel. I can do no worse.
> >
> > (clears throat)
> >
> > Faye: Jessica Simpson
>
> That's a tough call for me because it's obvious Jessica Simpson can't
> act or sing and is only there to look at. But Alba _tries_ to act and
> that's worse than just standing there grinning.

While even a dumb Hollywood producer would clearly see that Simpson isn't
a fit for the role, I can sorta-kina see the producer going with Alba.

Jessca Simpson as _Julia_, OTOH...

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Jul 25, 2008, 10:57:47 PM7/25/08
Aje RavenStar wrote:

> "Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message
> > Howdy all!
> >
> > Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
> > Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
> > adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
> >
> > Should be interesting.
> >
> > Thoughts Anyone?
> >
> > HG-The Otakuman
>
> Samuel L Jackson as Jet Black? (he seems to get all these kind of roles). D
> Washington would be a better choice, but would he take such a role now?
> Forrest Whitaker is the best physical match I can think of, so would be my
> first choice.
>
> Ming-Na Wen or Kelly Hu for Faye Valentine?
>
> Must remember to sneak into Stoff's office, remove Keanu's card from his
> roledex and delete his email address from the computers before auditions for
> Spike begin....(but I guess we can leave Laurence Fishburne's in for
> consideration as Jet).

Spike: Mark Wahlberg. Seriously.

-dbm

Aje RavenStar

Jul 26, 2008, 12:10:36 AM7/26/08

"D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in message

> Aje RavenStar wrote:
>>
>> "Herbie Garcia" <Otak...@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> > Howdy all!
>> >
>> > Anime News Network & IFMMagazine.com Reports that Film Producer Erwin
>> > Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing the live action
>> > adaptaion of the hit Anime for 20TH Century Fox.
>> >
>> > Should be interesting.
>> >
>> > Thoughts Anyone?
>> >
>> > HG-The Otakuman
>>
>> Samuel L Jackson as Jet Black? (he seems to get all these kind of roles).
>> Washington would be a better choice, but would he take such a role now?
>> Forrest Whitaker is the best physical match I can think of, so would be
>> my
>> first choice.
>>
>> Ming-Na Wen or Kelly Hu for Faye Valentine?
>>
>> Must remember to sneak into Stoff's office, remove Keanu's card from his
>> roledex and delete his email address from the computers before auditions
>> for
>> Spike begin....(but I guess we can leave Laurence Fishburne's in for
>> consideration as Jet).
>
> Spike: Mark Wahlberg. Seriously.
>
> -dbm

Hmmm. And take a page from LOTR and have him digitally elongated like
Elijah Woods was shrunk for Frodo so Wahlberg appears the right height and
scrawny? Might work. But if that route is gone, I hope the special edition
of the DVD includes all the unaltered footage of him standing and talking to
other characters face to face while the other actor is focusing on where his
face should eventually be....

LOTR.....hmm, again. Liv Tyler for Faye Valentine?

>> The real challenge is casting Ed. The only notion I've come up with so
>> far
>> is to take the CGI cute pet / toy-market tie in character from the Lost
>> In
>> Space movie and replace current image with one for Ed - the movements,
>> speech and actions are a close match as they currently exist.

Whiskey can be a wonderous thing in moderation. Sipping some while
rereading that, occured to me that while it is probably already two years
too late, but possibly if they hurry, Dakota Fanning (still just 14) might
fit the role pretty well.

eomdal

Jul 27, 2008, 3:04:37 AM7/27/08
http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=gallery_item&l=5958

Linked from the fan art section of The Jazz Messengers, the front page
of which has a reminder that the series is ten years old as of March 4
08.

I remember a discussion of casting ideas for a movie somewhere a few
years ago, most likely here.

Some of the names that I remember:

Jet:
Samuel L. Jackson
Yappet Koto
Micheal Clarke Duncan
Bruce Willis
Ving Rhames
Vin Diesel

Spike:
Jackie Chan
Jet Li
Brad Pitt
Heath Ledger (RIP)

Faye:
Lucy Liu
Nana Visitor

Punch:
Eddie Murphy
DL Hughley

Judy:
Nicole Sullivan

Vicious, Julia, and the Red Dragon elders are drawing blanks with me.
I can't think of anyone to add myself except that Christoper Loyd,
Nicholas Cage, and Jim Carrey could be the three old timers.

Jack Bohn

Jul 27, 2008, 7:03:36 AM7/27/08
Travers Naran wrote:

>But I'm sure they'll cast Wil Smith for Spike. And for Ed, aren't the
>Fanning sisters the new go-to child actors?

Shouldn't be too difficult to get the *action* for Ed, at least.
I'm thinking of the Feral Kid from ROAD WARRIOR and the
not-the-feral-kid, son of not-the-autogyro-man from BEYOND
THUNDERDOME. Dare one suggest that Melissa Fahn dub the voice?

--
-Jack