Tokyopop and the "Manga Pilot Program"

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 1, 2008, 4:34:09 AM6/1/08
This seems to have become the latest source of kerfuffle on the
internet; a copy of the contract to Tokyopop's Manga Pilot Program
(meant for artists just entering the market), and quickly words like
"draconian" and "one-sided" have been used to describe it; this
"salvo" may summarize it best . . . (take with a grain of salt):

<http://divalea.livejournal.com/548364.html>

It seems contracts like this are actually common in the literary
world (at least in manga, and at least in the US), but Tokyopop's
getting the luck of being the first company called out on it . . .

I'm more familiar with the difficulties of comic strip syndication,
and "Hollywood Accounting" along these lines, maybe some here could
clarifiy these particular intricacies in the literary world?

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Invid Fan

Jun 1, 2008, 11:04:47 AM6/1/08
In article <s4n4449o4j2donbik...@4ax.com>, Antonio E.
Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> This seems to have become the latest source of kerfuffle on the
> internet; a copy of the contract to Tokyopop's Manga Pilot Program
> (meant for artists just entering the market), and quickly words like
> "draconian" and "one-sided" have been used to describe it; this
> "salvo" may summarize it best . . . (take with a grain of salt):
>
> <http://divalea.livejournal.com/548364.html>
>
> It seems contracts like this are actually common in the literary
> world (at least in manga, and at least in the US), but Tokyopop's
> getting the luck of being the first company called out on it . . .

If the artist calls it a comic instead of manga, do they get a better
deal? :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Travers Naran

Jun 1, 2008, 5:07:08 PM6/1/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> This seems to have become the latest source of kerfuffle on the
> internet; a copy of the contract to Tokyopop's Manga Pilot Program
> (meant for artists just entering the market), and quickly words like
> "draconian" and "one-sided" have been used to describe it; this
> "salvo" may summarize it best . . . (take with a grain of salt):
>
> <http://divalea.livejournal.com/548364.html>
>
> It seems contracts like this are actually common in the literary
> world (at least in manga, and at least in the US), but Tokyopop's
> getting the luck of being the first company called out on it . . .
>
> I'm more familiar with the difficulties of comic strip syndication,
> and "Hollywood Accounting" along these lines, maybe some here could
> clarifiy these particular intricacies in the literary world?

I just read the actual pact. WTF is wrong with it? People so quickly
forget what it used to be like working for Marvel or DC.

Although I agree that the usefulness of the program is questionable with
the world-wide web. Do you really need TokyoPop or any publisher
anymore to make your comic or manga known and commercial?

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Blade

Jun 2, 2008, 7:20:13 AM6/2/08

"Travers Naran" <tna...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The answer to that is obvious - because getting published in a real book,
dead-tree format, is a hell of a lot more pretigious to many people than
getting published on the world wide web, considering any seven year old can
do that.

-
Blade