AS moves Bleach, Code Geass, Moribito; now 11PM, 5 & 5:30AM

DBBrandell

Sep 11, 2008, 8:55:06 PM9/11/08
According to Anime News Network and Adult Swim's schedule servlet, Adult
Swim is re-working Saturday night's schedule, again.

it was and now it's

11:00 Metalocalypse Bleach
11:30 The Venture Brothers Fullmetal Alchemist
12:00 Shin Chan Robot Chicken
12:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
12:30 Bleach Metalocalypse
01:00 Code Geass Tim and Eric
01:15 Assy McGee
01:30 Moribito Squidbillies

( usual repeating from 2 to 5 )

05:00 Inuyasha Code Geass
05:30 Inuyasha Moribito

Bleach gets a better spot, Code Geass and Moribito go to the basement,
Venture Brothers and Shin Chan gone from Saturday, Fullmetal re-runs
back, and some other Sunday stuff gets in.

I didn't usually stay up to watch anyway, so it doesn't really effect
me, other than, well, it's time to re-set the DVR again. :(

AS and video in general is in a permanent state of experimenting with
change, maybe is the nicest way to say it. :)

Thanks to ANN

preview:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6y5lck

http://tinyurl.com/6y5lck

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-11/adult-swim-shifts-bleach-geass-moribito-timeslot

DBB

Derek Janssen

Sep 11, 2008, 8:59:10 PM9/11/08
DBBrandell wrote:
> According to Anime News Network and Adult Swim's schedule servlet, Adult
> Swim is re-working Saturday night's schedule, again.
>
> 05:00 Inuyasha Code Geass
> 05:30 Inuyasha Moribito
>
> Bleach gets a better spot, Code Geass and Moribito go to the basement,

[permission for failure: enacted]

> AS and video in general is in a permanent state of experimenting with
> change, maybe is the nicest way to say it. :)

One senses the obvious euphemism, here. -_-

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

D B Malmquist

Sep 11, 2008, 11:51:49 PM9/11/08
DBBrandell wrote:

> According to Anime News Network and Adult Swim's schedule servlet, Adult
> Swim is re-working Saturday night's schedule, again.
>
> it was and now it's
>
> 11:00 Metalocalypse Bleach
> 11:30 The Venture Brothers Fullmetal Alchemist
> 12:00 Shin Chan Robot Chicken
> 12:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
> 12:30 Bleach Metalocalypse
> 01:00 Code Geass Tim and Eric
> 01:15 Assy McGee
> 01:30 Moribito Squidbillies
>
> ( usual repeating from 2 to 5 )
>
> 05:00 Inuyasha Code Geass
> 05:30 Inuyasha Moribito
>
> Bleach gets a better spot, Code Geass and Moribito go to the basement,

Well, that's a drag. My VCR died long ago, and thanks to the lack
of almost anything I want to watch on TV these days, I have resisted
paying my cable company the rental fees for a DVR.

-dbm

The Relic

Sep 12, 2008, 1:43:08 AM9/12/08

Honestly, this is getting out of hand. How on earth are you supposed to
follow a story if they are just going to either shuffle the lineup
or eliminate the show entirely. Don't care about Code Geass (no kiddin'
^_^) but I really got into Moribito, and now if I want to watch it
I have to record it?

Seriously, what kind of acid are the guys at Williams Street feeding
their executive bosses to convince them that this is a good idea?
If I were their bosses I'd have shitcanned them long ago...

Derek Janssen

Sep 12, 2008, 1:59:07 AM9/12/08
The Relic wrote:

> Seriously, what kind of acid are the guys at Williams Street feeding
> their executive bosses to convince them that this is a good idea?

(It ain't acid, but you're in the ballpark.)

> If I were their bosses I'd have shitcanned them long ago...

Unfortunately, it *is* their bosses that want to final-solution anime
off the late-night slot, if only the industry and fans would let them.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Brian Christiansen

Sep 12, 2008, 1:59:31 AM9/12/08

"DBBrandell" <NoSuc...@NoSuchAccount.net> wrote in message

> 11:00 Metalocalypse Bleach
> 11:30 The Venture Brothers Fullmetal Alchemist
> 12:00 Shin Chan Robot Chicken
> 12:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
> 12:30 Bleach Metalocalypse
> 01:00 Code Geass Tim and Eric
> 01:15 Assy McGee
> 01:30 Moribito Squidbillies
>
> ( usual repeating from 2 to 5 )
>
> 05:00 Inuyasha Code Geass
> 05:30 Inuyasha Moribito

The AS schedule a few weeks ago was really good, or at least I liked it.
For the last 2 weeks it has been decent. The only thing that saves it now
are Bleach, FMA and Robot Chicken to some extent. I am not sure if I am
going to stay up for (or get up early for) Code Geass or Moriboto, they
certainly are not worth running out and buying some sort of recorder for.

Even with Bleach and FMA, the rest of the shows almost pull the 11 to 1:30
schedule down to sunday-night-suckiness.

Brian Christiansen

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 12, 2008, 2:20:53 AM9/12/08
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:51pm-0400, D B Malmquist <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-an...:

> DBBrandell wrote:
> >
> > According to Anime News Network and Adult Swim's schedule servlet, Adult
> > Swim is re-working Saturday night's schedule, again.
> >
> > it was and now it's
> >
> > 11:00 Metalocalypse Bleach
> > 11:30 The Venture Brothers Fullmetal Alchemist
> > 12:00 Shin Chan Robot Chicken
> > 12:15 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
> > 12:30 Bleach Metalocalypse
> > 01:00 Code Geass Tim and Eric
> > 01:15 Assy McGee
> > 01:30 Moribito Squidbillies
> >
> > ( usual repeating from 2 to 5 )
> >
> > 05:00 Inuyasha Code Geass
> > 05:30 Inuyasha Moribito
> >
> > Bleach gets a better spot, Code Geass and Moribito go to the basement,
>
> Well, that's a drag. My VCR died long ago, and thanks to the lack
> of almost anything I want to watch on TV these days, I have resisted
> paying my cable company the rental fees for a DVR.

They're still available on AdultSwim.com videos section.

Like Gundam or anything political robots, Code Geass isn't catching
in mainstream America. Oh, where the days of Transformers go....

(I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
"teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

sanjian

Sep 12, 2008, 7:09:20 AM9/12/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:51pm-0400, D B Malmquist
> <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-an...:

> Like Gundam or anything political robots, Code Geass isn't catching
> in mainstream America. Oh, where the days of Transformers go....
>
> (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
> That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
> "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
> but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)

Why is that disgustingly less so? I would think it's a "one last redeemning
aspect" of American culture.

The Wanderer

Sep 12, 2008, 7:14:03 AM9/12/08
sanjian wrote:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

>> (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
>> That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all
>> for "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully
>> attest-- but much disgustingly less so when it involves
>> jailbaits....)
>
> Why is that disgustingly less so? I would think it's a "one last
> redeemning aspect" of American culture.

I would have (and, I think, did) read that as "less disgustingly so", in
which formulation I think it makes perfect sense.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Message has been deleted

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 12, 2008, 2:14:53 PM9/12/08
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 7:52am-0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote on [Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:20:53 -0400]:
> > Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:51pm-0400, D B Malmquist <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-an...:
> >

> > (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
> > That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
> > "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
> > but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)
>

> They're much more into the violence than the sex, as Hollywood has
> shown. You can blow up breasts all day long, but show someone kissing
> one...

Nah nah, so long as they don't exactly show the naughty bits
albeit tantalizingly close, they always insert a lascivious scene,
often extended even, as long as it involves a mature woman
(girls, not so much).

Hollywood mantra: ^_^
Sex & Violence; they go together; can't have one without the other.

Laters. =)

Stan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 12, 2008, 2:16:57 PM9/12/08
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 7:14am-0400, The Wanderer <inverse...@comcast.net>:

> sanjian wrote:
>
> > S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
>
> > > (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
> > > That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all
> > > for "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully
> > > attest-- but much disgustingly less so when it involves
> > > jailbaits....)
> >
> > Why is that disgustingly less so? I would think it's a "one last
> > redeemning aspect" of American culture.
>
> I would have (and, I think, did) read that as "less disgustingly so", in
> which formulation I think it makes perfect sense.

So... which way do I mean...? ;-)

Laters. =)

Stan

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 3:30:30 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:52:00 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote on [Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:20:53 -0400]:

>> Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:51pm-0400, D B Malmquist <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-an...:
>>

>> (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
>> That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
>> "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
>> but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)
>

>They're much more into the violence than the sex, as Hollywood has
>shown. You can blow up breasts all day long, but show someone kissing
>one...

It's a bit of a cultural thing, and kinda goes like this . . .:

Show a topless woman getting disemboweled . . .:

Americans complain about the toplessness, Europeans complain about
the disemboweling . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 3:30:56 PM9/12/08

Sounded like "disgustingly" referred to the jailbait sex . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 3:33:28 PM9/12/08

They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
pretty strong not to figure that out . . .

Derek Janssen

Sep 12, 2008, 4:35:07 PM9/12/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:59:07 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>The Relic wrote:
>>
>>>Seriously, what kind of acid are the guys at Williams Street feeding
>>>their executive bosses to convince them that this is a good idea?
>>
>>(It ain't acid, but you're in the ballpark.)
>>

>>>If I were their bosses I'd have shitcanned them long ago...
>>
>>Unfortunately, it *is* their bosses that want to final-solution anime
>>off the late-night slot, if only the industry and fans would let them.
>
> They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
> schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
> pretty strong not to figure that out . . .

Yeah, amazing how AS's flashcards could *predict* "bad ratings" for
Moribito the week before it opened, and then three or four weeks later,
the show ends up in the Death Slot...
Must be their psychic powers again. 9_9

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 6:47:06 PM9/12/08
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:35:07 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:59:07 GMT, Derek Janssen
>> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>>>(It ain't acid, but you're in the ballpark.)

>>>Unfortunately, it *is* their bosses that want to final-solution anime
>>>off the late-night slot, if only the industry and fans would let them.
>>
>> They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
>> schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
>> pretty strong not to figure that out . . .
>
>Yeah, amazing how AS's flashcards could *predict* "bad ratings" for
>Moribito the week before it opened,

Followed by *getting* bad ratings the weeks afterward . . .

and then three or four weeks later,
>the show ends up in the Death Slot...
>Must be their psychic powers again. 9_9

More like common sense . . .

sanjian

Sep 12, 2008, 7:09:04 PM9/12/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 07:52:00 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote on [Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:20:53 -0400]:
>>> Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:51pm-0400, D B Malmquist
>>> <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-an...:
>>>
>>> (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
>>> That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
>>> "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
>>> but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)
>>
>> They're much more into the violence than the sex, as Hollywood has
>> shown. You can blow up breasts all day long, but show someone kissing
>> one...
>
> It's a bit of a cultural thing, and kinda goes like this . . .:
>
> Show a topless woman getting disemboweled . . .:
>
> Americans complain about the toplessness, Europeans complain about
> the disemboweling . . .

I know. What's wrong with the Europeans, anyways?

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2008, 7:42:04 PM9/12/08
With all the fansubbing around, AS should (and this is much of the
read I've been getting from a lot of forums on these changes,
regardless of the reason) just dump anime altogether and be done with
it.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2008, 7:45:21 PM9/12/08
On Sep 11, 10:43 pm, The Relic <relic1...@ameritech.net> wrote:

> Seriously, what kind of acid are the guys at Williams Street feeding
> their executive bosses to convince them that this is a good idea?
> If I were their bosses I'd have shitcanned them long ago...

I think the idea is eventually to can anime altogether off of Adult
Swim -- but the contracts they've signed can't quite allow for that
just yet.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 12, 2008, 7:47:48 PM9/12/08
On Sep 12, 12:33 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:59:07 GMT, Derek Janssen

> >Unfortunately, it *is* their bosses that want to final-solution anime

> >off the late-night slot, if only the industry and fans would let them.
>
>   They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
> schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
> pretty strong not to figure that out . . .

Bingo. Everybody's just downloading it all -- no need to watch it on
TV anymore, especially when it's the fourth rerun of something you
stole off the Net two years ago.

It isn't the industry and fans -- it's the contracts they signed to
air the stuff in the first place. The moment they are all satisfied,
anime leaves Adult Swim.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Sep 12, 2008, 8:42:13 PM9/12/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Sep 12, 12:33 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:59:07 GMT, Derek Janssen
>

>>>Unfortunately, it *is* their bosses that want to final-solution anime
>>>off the late-night slot, if only the industry and fans would let them.
>>
>> They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
>>schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
>>pretty strong not to figure that out . . .
>

> Bingo. Everybody's just downloading it all -- no need to watch it on
> TV anymore, especially when it's the fourth rerun of something you
> stole off the Net two years ago.

It's all those Internet pirations.

Derek Janssen (watch, he'll think I'm *not* being ironic)
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 12, 2008, 11:01:39 PM9/12/08
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:42:13 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

>darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Sep 12, 12:33 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:59:07 GMT, Derek Janssen

>>> They're called bad ratings, they tend to lead to
>>>schedule/programming changes; you'd have to be smoking something
>>>pretty strong not to figure that out . . .
>>

>> Bingo. Everybody's just downloading it all -- no need to watch it on
>> TV anymore, especially when it's the fourth rerun of something you
>> stole off the Net two years ago.
>
>It's all those Internet pirations.

Yeah, now providing *dubs* and the North Ameican voice actors that
are inherent to them!

--

- ReFlex76

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 12, 2008, 11:27:25 PM9/12/08
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 8:35pm-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

Unfortunately, anime hasn't been doing well lately,
so it wasn't really that hard a prediction.

Code Geass, however, was a bit of a surprise.
But just a bit.

Rob Maxwell

Sep 13, 2008, 12:07:18 AM9/13/08

"DBBrandell" <NoSuc...@NoSuchAccount.net> wrote in message
> According to Anime News Network and Adult Swim's schedule servlet, Adult
> Swim is re-working Saturday night's schedule, again.

Fuck Williams Street.

They destroyed Sunday years ago and I am tried of their screwing with
Saturday. I used to watch 2 and a half hours of AS Saturday, but they have
screwed it up so bad that I am not going to try to keep up with their
unannounced schedule changes.

As of today, Adult Swim is dead to me. I simply won't watch anything on it.

It was fun when the Adults were running it, but...

-Rob

> DBB

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2008, 12:15:05 AM9/13/08
On Sep 12, 5:42 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

You'd be right if but only if I didn't know you weren't telling what
you actually believed.

If I took your statement as its face value (which, knowing your
idiocy, I know I _can't_!!), it wouldn't be ironic in the least!

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2008, 12:16:53 AM9/13/08
On Sep 12, 8:01 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:42:13 GMT, Derek Janssen

> >It's all those Internet pirations.

>     Yeah, now providing *dubs* and the North Ameican voice actors that
> are inherent to them!

I hope you mean the TV series and not the "pirations"...

The pirates will kill dubs in this country, save for a few movie
titles and a few aborted TV attempts.

The day that most of the dubs go away, I have no reason to continue
watching anime in any capacity anymore.

Mike

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 13, 2008, 12:14:00 PM9/13/08
Sat, 13 Sep 2008 12:07am-0400, Rob Maxwell <sak...@atlantic.net>:

"Adults" never ran it. Not the mature ones anyways. ^_^
(Though there may not be AS to begin with, if it was,
because adults know cartoons are for kids of course.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2008, 6:40:44 PM9/13/08
On Sep 12, 9:07 pm, "Rob Maxwell" <sak...@atlantic.net> wrote:

> As of today, Adult Swim is dead to me. I simply won't watch anything on it.
>
> It was fun when the Adults were running it, but...

Don't worry. Adult Swim is also dead to the network airing it too --
at least until it gets out from the under the contracts they made when
anime was economically worth a damn.

Mike

Doug Jacobs

Sep 16, 2008, 7:06:03 PM9/16/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRu...@uofr.slamspam.net> wrote:
> Like Gundam or anything political robots, Code Geass isn't catching
> in mainstream America. Oh, where the days of Transformers go....

Code Geass was OK, until they pulled that island episode out of their
rears... What the heck happened there?

And what's with Kururugi? He held that secret of his for most of his
life, and now all of a sudden he's telling it to EVERYONE.

> (I guess cute jailbaits in various states of undress isn't enough.
> That's one big difference in the West: regular Americans are all for
> "teh sex" in their entertainment --as Hollywood can fully attest--
> but much disgustingly less so when it involves jailbaits....)

What, are you kidding? Reality TV is full of jailbait-ish shennanagins.
Scantily clad ditzy "women" barely 20 years old complaining about whatever
mote of dust happened to wander through their vapid heads, while imbibing
immense amounts of alcohol, sloppily making out with their "BFF".

The only thing preventing TV from going after the younger crowd is that
"why don't you have a seat over there" dude from NBC. After all, wasn't
most of Britney's original fanbase made up of males over 30? Yeah, that's
not creepy at all...

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2008, 7:29:11 PM9/16/08
On Sep 16, 4:06 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

> What, are you kidding?  Reality TV is full of jailbait-ish shennanagins.
> Scantily clad ditzy "women" barely 20 years old complaining about whatever
> mote of dust happened to wander through their vapid heads, while imbibing
> immense amounts of alcohol, sloppily making out with their "BFF".

Well said, Doug. Well said. Welcome to why America is dead.

The difference between this and anime is that, in anime, it's not
jailbait-_ish_...

> The only thing preventing TV from going after the younger crowd is that
> "why don't you have a seat over there" dude from NBC.  After all, wasn't
> most of Britney's original fanbase made up of males over 30?  Yeah, that's
> not creepy at all...

I'm glad someone finally admits the only reason that Britney, Paris,
Lindsey, etc. and so on are even known to the public, much less
famous.

Mike

Doug Jacobs

Sep 16, 2008, 7:44:30 PM9/16/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> The pirates will kill dubs in this country, save for a few movie
> titles and a few aborted TV attempts.

Riiight. Because pirates are the only ones who are interested in anime at
all, correct?

You're thinking too much like the companies you hate. The TV showings
aren't aimmed at anime fans - at least not at the fans you're thinking
of. Remember, not everyone knows how to download stuff, or even has the
internet/computer resources to do so. Yet they'll watch anime on TV IF
THEY CAN FIND IT.

This whole schedule rescramble reminds me of how FOX does its
programming. Hype a show, then scramble its schedule. When the show
loses viewers left and right, claim the show's a failure and cancel it.
Repeat.

Did AS even announce their schedule change up? I usually record AS during
its rerun anyways, so it was only by dumb luck that I still managed to
record Code Geass and Moribito.

For my friends who like Cowboy Bebop because of its more mature stories
and characters, something like Moribito might be up their alley...but
given AS' attitude, they've predestined the show to fail, and so it will.

Doug Jacobs

Sep 16, 2008, 7:53:11 PM9/16/08

Again, you fall into the trap of thinking like an anime company.

There's still a sizable market out there for folks who can't, or just
don't, download anime, and/or just hate subtitles. How else are they
going to learn about new shows? Buy a random DVD for $25-30 in the
store? I doubt it.

Invid Fan

Sep 16, 2008, 8:05:28 PM9/16/08
In article
<f0d3046e-1993-4168...@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
<darkst...@gmail.com> wrote:

Nothing new there. Way back when, they released a Barbie-like doll of
teen Brook Shields. The doll sold like crazy, but none of the clothing
line did...

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 17, 2008, 12:58:38 AM9/17/08
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 8:05pm-0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>:

T'was 'cause of Blue Lagoon, isn't it? ^_^

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 8:07:54 AM9/17/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Tue, 16 Sep 2008 8:05pm-0400, Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com>:
>
>> In article
>> <f0d3046e-1993-4168...@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
>> <darkst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 16, 4:06 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
>>> The difference between this and anime is that, in anime, it's not
>>> jailbait-_ish_...

>>> I'm glad someone finally admits the only reason that Britney, Paris,
>>> Lindsey, etc. and so on are even known to the public, much less
>>> famous.
>> Nothing new there. Way back when, they released a Barbie-like doll of
>> teen Brook Shields. The doll sold like crazy, but none of the clothing
>> line did...
>>

> T'was 'cause of Blue Lagoon, isn't it? ^_^

Taxi Driver, Pretty Baby, and Blue Lagoon together, I suspect.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Captain Nerd

Sep 17, 2008, 8:16:07 AM9/17/08
In article <gaqrga$pn8$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,

Taxi Driver was Jody Foster, though.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Derek Janssen

Sep 17, 2008, 3:32:28 PM9/17/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

>>> Nothing new there. Way back when, they released a Barbie-like doll of
>>> teen Brook Shields. The doll sold like crazy, but none of the clothing
>>> line did...
>>>

>> T'was 'cause of Blue Lagoon, isn't it? ^_^
>
> Taxi Driver, Pretty Baby, and Blue Lagoon together, I suspect.

Brooke was in Taxi Driver? Did she have any onscreen time with Jodie?

(Brings a new meaning to the phrase "Freudian slip"... 0_0'' )

Derek Janssen (who will confess to occasionally confusing Jodie Foster
with Tatum O'Neal, because of the "Paper Moon" TV series)
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 17, 2008, 4:02:02 PM9/17/08
Derek Janssen wrote:

>>> T'was 'cause of Blue Lagoon, isn't it? ^_^
>>
>> Taxi Driver, Pretty Baby, and Blue Lagoon together, I suspect.
>
> Brooke was in Taxi Driver? Did she have any onscreen time with Jodie?
>
> (Brings a new meaning to the phrase "Freudian slip"... 0_0'' )

You're right. I confused the two exploited child stars.

> Derek Janssen (who will confess to occasionally confusing Jodie Foster
> with Tatum O'Neal, because of the "Paper Moon" TV series)

Been there, done that. Oh, wait, maybe that was badly phrased...

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2008, 7:06:24 PM9/17/08
On Sep 16, 4:44 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The pirates will kill dubs in this country, save for a few movie
> > titles and a few aborted TV attempts.
>
> Riiight.  Because pirates are the only ones who are interested in anime at
> all, correct?

Do you really want the answer to that question???

Think this over for a second: Do you REALLY want me to answer that
question for you??

OK, I will.

For the economic intent and purpose, the answer is quite certainly
_YES_!

And now that the concept of discretionary income is quite over in the
R1 market, this will become even more true.

But, for the intent and purpose that the companies have to consider,
your statement is absolutely true: There are so few (if,
realistically, any) people left who don't pirate -- they have to now
consider that interest in anime implies that the people are pirating
material in some form. The anime fandom culture has made it
implausible to do otherwise.

> You're thinking too much like the companies you hate.  The TV showings
> aren't aimmed at anime fans - at least not at the fans you're thinking
> of.  Remember, not everyone knows how to download stuff, or even has the
> internet/computer resources to do so.  Yet they'll watch anime on TV IF
> THEY CAN FIND IT.

No, I think, honestly, that there are still those who see TV anime as
an entry-level to the anime fandom. And once they actually get into
Naruto and start researching it, they realize that there is so much on
the Internet, and the only people who probably wouldn't pirate are
those who don't have a sufficient Internet connection.

> This whole schedule rescramble reminds me of how FOX does its
> programming.  Hype a show, then scramble its schedule.  When the show
> loses viewers left and right, claim the show's a failure and cancel it.
> Repeat.

I said above: I truly believe Cartoon Network is going to abandon
anime completely. It's a matter that, when they signed the contracts,
they were bound to a certain number of airings or a certain amount of
time. But once those commitments are up, the whole thing comes down.

One would easily assert that the contracts were signed in the last of
the "boom period" or just at the beginning of the bust. Now, they see
the writing on the wall and can't get out fast enough.

> Did AS even announce their schedule change up?  I usually record AS during
> its rerun anyways, so it was only by dumb luck that I still managed to
> record Code Geass and Moribito.

They don't care!! They basically figure that no one (read: not nearly
the ratings they were even close to expecting!) is watching anymore,
so it wouldn't matter. I'd _almost_ expect infomercials to start
taking over those slots (of course, that's if anyone's going to be
doing _those_ in the near future)...

> For my friends who like  Cowboy Bebop because of its more mature stories
> and characters, something like Moribito might be up their alley...but
> given AS' attitude, they've predestined the show to fail, and so it will.

Anime has failed -- on AS and in general.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2008, 7:08:55 PM9/17/08
On Sep 16, 4:53 pm, Doug Jacobs <djac...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

Again, as I said in one of the two threads: You get to the point of
cost recovery. I would assert easily that if you multiplied the
market by the price you would set (more correctly, by the portion of
said price that the anime company would get back), you'd have an anime
company swimming in red ink.

I think you are assuming that a sizeable number of anime fans don't
download -- and what I'm saying is that they are so dwarfed by the
number of fans who do that the concept has become laughably
irrelevant.

Mike

John Brewer

Sep 18, 2008, 1:41:04 AM9/18/08
It hasn't caught up to the CN website yet, but the saturday line-up,
from 11 - 2am, is now a hour of Inuyasha, then Bleach, Deathnote, Code
Geass, & Shin-chan. I don't know what's 5 - 6am yet. This is from a
promo at the end of 11pm FG & Lucy.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 18, 2008, 5:18:21 AM9/18/08
Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:41pm-0700, John Brewer <jbr...@webtv.net>:

It's like a dance! ^_^

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 19, 2008, 8:46:11 AM9/19/08
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 05:18:21 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

>Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:41pm-0700, John Brewer <jbr...@webtv.net>:
>
>> It hasn't caught up to the CN website yet, but the saturday line-up,
>> from 11 - 2am, is now a hour of Inuyasha, then Bleach, Deathnote, Code
>> Geass, & Shin-chan. I don't know what's 5 - 6am yet. This is from a
>> promo at the end of 11pm FG & Lucy.
>>

>It's like a dance! ^_^

One of two possible explanations:

- The drastic nature of the schedule change would imply someone f'ed
up and put the wrong schedule up; it getting corrected with the
gentler, intended change this week.

- A flood of angry e-mails/board posts.

DBBrandell

Sep 19, 2008, 1:31:53 PM9/19/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 05:18:21 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
> <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:
>
>> Wed, 17 Sep 2008 10:41pm-0700, John Brewer <jbr...@webtv.net>:
>>
>>> It hasn't caught up to the CN website yet, but the saturday line-up,
>>> from 11 - 2am, is now a hour of Inuyasha, then Bleach, Deathnote, Code
>>> Geass, & Shin-chan. I don't know what's 5 - 6am yet. This is from a
>>> promo at the end of 11pm FG & Lucy.
>>>
>> It's like a dance! ^_^
>>

> One of two possible explanations:
>
> - The drastic nature of the schedule change would imply someone f'ed
> up and put the wrong schedule up; it getting corrected with the
> gentler, intended change this week.
>
> - A flood of angry e-mails/board posts.

As of Friday morning, my local cable schedule shows "to be announced"
except for the last hour, and lists that as two eps of Shin Chan.
Hopefully, the problem is that they just don't have the change yet. But
I think I'm gonna set my recorder to get all of one block, and the 5-6
slots ( groan ), just in case. In half hour increments, of cuss. :(

DBB

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2008, 8:51:25 PM9/19/08
When are people going to get it??

They can't get out from under their contracts, so they're going to
bury the anime so completely that there's no audience left. Then they
can quit anime completely and probably turn the time over to
infomercials or more of their domestic work.

Mike

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 20, 2008, 2:34:32 AM9/20/08

So long as they settle down. Now it's a matter of what they get
next; Hayate no Gotoku seems to have enough action to offset their
fear of comedy anime, which Shinchan is already whitling down; maybe
they still have memories of Super Milk-chan, which at least *I* found
amusing . . .

DBBrandell

Sep 20, 2008, 3:42:09 PM9/20/08

As of Saturday afternoon, my local cable shows Bleach, FMA, all the
comedy stuff, Code Geass at 5AM and Moribito at 5:30AM. Bummer.

The Adult Swim schedule servlet, ANN's The Crack column, and Anime on TV
all agree with this. Since I already re-set the video recorder, I guess
I'll leave it getting the whole thing. But this is pretty annoying.

DBB