Newly licensed in R1 - Beat to death angel

Galen

Jun 15, 2008, 4:29:41 PM6/15/08
Media Blastsers Licensing Announcement

Media Blasters (source AnimeOnDVD Forum)
Dokuro-chan

This post on the AnimeOnDVD forum was made by John Sirabella, who
works for Media Blasters. Unfortunately it's not yet known whether
Media Blasters has licensed both OVA series or just the first. At this
time AnimeSuki presumes they have both OVA series.
endquote

Chris Mattern

Jun 16, 2008, 10:27:36 AM6/16/08

That's it. There is no such thing as "unlicensable" any more.

--
Christopher Mattern

NOTICE
Thank you for noticing this new notice
Your noticing it has been noted
And will be reported to the authorities

afedakendragon

Jun 16, 2008, 11:40:44 AM6/16/08
On Jun 16, 10:27 am, Chris Mattern <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote:
> On 2008-06-15, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>
> > Media Blastsers Licensing Announcement
>
> > Media Blasters (source AnimeOnDVD Forum)
> > Dokuro-chan
>
> > This post on the AnimeOnDVD forum was made by John Sirabella, who
> > works for Media Blasters. Unfortunately it's not yet known whether
> > Media Blasters has licensed both OVA series or just the first. At this
> > time AnimeSuki presumes they have both OVA series.
> > endquote
>
> That's it. There is no such thing as "unlicensable" any more.

>_>

<_<

Well, ya see, when Dokuro tells you she wants to be licensed, you
license her. Refusal could be... Messy...

--
Abraham Evangelista

Blade

Jun 16, 2008, 11:56:05 AM6/16/08

"Chris Mattern" <sys...@sumire.gwu.edu> wrote in message

> On 2008-06-15, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>> Media Blastsers Licensing Announcement
>>
>> Media Blasters (source AnimeOnDVD Forum)
>> Dokuro-chan
>>
>> This post on the AnimeOnDVD forum was made by John Sirabella, who
>> works for Media Blasters. Unfortunately it's not yet known whether
>> Media Blasters has licensed both OVA series or just the first. At this
>> time AnimeSuki presumes they have both OVA series.
>> endquote
>
> That's it. There is no such thing as "unlicensable" any more.

Can't imagine why a blatent parody of harem comedies would be unlicensable
anyway...

-
Blade
(Happy to hear this.)

Farix

Jun 16, 2008, 12:29:46 PM6/16/08
Chris Mattern wrote:
> On 2008-06-15, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>> Media Blastsers Licensing Announcement
>>
>> Media Blasters (source AnimeOnDVD Forum)
>> Dokuro-chan
>>
>> This post on the AnimeOnDVD forum was made by John Sirabella, who
>> works for Media Blasters. Unfortunately it's not yet known whether
>> Media Blasters has licensed both OVA series or just the first. At this
>> time AnimeSuki presumes they have both OVA series.
>> endquote
>
> That's it. There is no such thing as "unlicensable" any more.

And just what abound Dokuro-chan made it "unlicensable"?

Farix

Warewolf

Jun 16, 2008, 1:21:24 PM6/16/08
afedakendragon <afed...@gmail.com> wrote in news:622c2408-23ca-4b76-aa65-
e91776...@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Well, ya see, when Dokuro tells you she wants to be licensed, you
> license her. Refusal could be... Messy...

Eee-yeah, I'll remember that. }:^)

*points to Dokuro-chan's head, rotting on a pike*
*next to 'flesh-covered' skulls of Miss Piggy, 'Honeybunch' Drabble*
*and the 'archmage' formerly known as Josephine*

I'm also going to let the fans determine the DVD's success. ^_^

As much as I *hate* punching bag series, I believe that the public is smart
enough to make its own decisions.

And, who knows, perhaps sales will be low enough for the studios to rethink
their strategies. (Hint: make better shows) ~_^

Signed,
Warewolf
who wonders if Yubaba ever translated the warning on a certain entrance
door.

Blade

Jun 16, 2008, 1:32:50 PM6/16/08

"Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> I'm also going to let the fans determine the DVD's success. ^_^
>
> As much as I *hate* punching bag series, I believe that the public is
> smart
> enough to make its own decisions.

Uh, you do realise Dokuro-chan is making fun of those series', right?

Therefore, while you might not like it, a primary component of the audience
for the series is people who hate punching-bag series' (such as myself)?

-
Blade
(Unless I misread what you meant by "punching-bag series'"... but I keep
seeing these people who inexplicably think Dokuro-chan is meant to be taken
at face value, like it's just Love Hina over again...)

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jun 16, 2008, 3:48:28 PM6/16/08
Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Can't imagine why a blatent parody of harem comedies would be
> unlicensable anyway...

Because it sucks. Big time.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Warewolf

Jun 16, 2008, 4:48:27 PM6/16/08
"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:g36843$qij$1...@aioe.org:

> "Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> I'm also going to let the fans determine the DVD's success. ^_^
>>
>> As much as I *hate* punching bag series, I believe that the public is
>> smart enough to make its own decisions.
>
> Uh, you do realise Dokuro-chan is making fun of those series', right?

You did mention it before in an another thread but I'm not entirely
convinced that it's a watchable series (at least, not *yet*). ^_^;

> Therefore, while you might not like it, a primary component of the
> audience for the series is people who hate punching-bag series' (such
> as myself)?

Well, then, perhaps you could enlighten me a little...

Is Sakura allowed (by the writers) to stand up to Dokuro-chan?
Does Dokuro-chan get punished for her aggressive behaviour at all?

One of the problems I had with series like Sabrina (live, animated) and the
Proud Family was that the writers did not allow the main characters to
fight back against their oppressors. If these characters didn't whine
about their problems, they bore the brunt like 'good little rape victims'.

(And petty annoyances like Sugar Mama and Mr. Craft didn't help matters)
(The latter, in fact, was an invincible *pedophile*, of all things)

If Sakura and Dokuro-chan really are diversions from the traditional
'victim' and 'bully' roles, then I might give this series a chance but,
certain exceptions aside, the current crop of animated and live action fare
is giving me the impression that the only way to handle life's obstacles is
to blow them away with a shotgun or rocket launcher and I'm not prepared to
do that. (particularly since an abundance of tolerance and reason have kept
things palatable so far).

> (Unless I misread what you meant by "punching-bag series'"... but I
> keep seeing these people who inexplicably think Dokuro-chan is meant
> to be taken at face value, like it's just Love Hina over again...)

Well, there are worse examples of animation out there. If you're able to
watch:

Gadget Boy
Wishkid
Tiny Toon Adventures
Terrible Thunderlizards
Wacky World of Tex Avery
Tom and Jerry Kids (or Tales, for that matter)
Gargoyles: the Goliath Chronicles
Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
Taz-Mania or, again,
The Proud Family

without suffering a migraine or wanting to drop an anvil on the studio,
you're a stronger person than I am.

Signed,
Warewolf
who is not a fan of a certain 'Buttmunch' and certain 'Loonatics' either.

The keyword in the industry is 'entertainment' and I'm not seeing it at the
moment, ladies and gentlemen.

Galen

Jun 16, 2008, 7:24:16 PM6/16/08
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:48:27 GMT, Warewolf <warewol...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>certain exceptions aside, the current crop of animated and live action fare
>is giving me the impression that the only way to handle life's obstacles is
>to blow them away with a shotgun or rocket launcher

That's what I like about Zenryoku Usagi - he's a wage slave:
http://tondemo-nothing.blogspot.com/2008/02/zenryoku-usagi-2-bunny-goes-gar.html

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 16, 2008, 8:14:16 PM6/16/08
wrote:

>"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:g36843$qij$1...@aioe.org:
>

>> Therefore, while you might not like it, a primary component of the

>> audience for the series is people who hate punching-bag series' (such
>> as myself)?
>
>Well, then, perhaps you could enlighten me a little...
>
>Is Sakura allowed (by the writers) to stand up to Dokuro-chan?
>Does Dokuro-chan get punished for her aggressive behaviour at all?

Two words: Explosive Diarrhea

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jun 16, 2008, 8:42:10 PM6/16/08
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 5:21pm-0000, Warewolf <warewol...@shaw.ca>:

> afedakendragon <afed...@gmail.com> wrote in news:622c2408-23ca-4b76-aa65-
> e91776...@d1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Well, ya see, when Dokuro tells you she wants to be licensed, you
> > license her. Refusal could be... Messy...
>
> Eee-yeah, I'll remember that. }:^)
>
> *points to Dokuro-chan's head, rotting on a pike*
> *next to 'flesh-covered' skulls of Miss Piggy, 'Honeybunch' Drabble*
> *and the 'archmage' formerly known as Josephine*

Oh my god! She killed Kenny! ^_^

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Blade

Jun 17, 2008, 7:41:42 AM6/17/08

> "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:g36843$qij$1...@aioe.org:
>>> As much as I *hate* punching bag series, I believe that the public is
>>> smart enough to make its own decisions.
>>
>> Uh, you do realise Dokuro-chan is making fun of those series', right?
>
> You did mention it before in an another thread but I'm not entirely
> convinced that it's a watchable series (at least, not *yet*). ^_^;

I'm not saying you should like it just because I do. I'm saying that lumping
it in with other series' who use "girl beats up guy" as a plot device is
mischaracterising it. It's rather like saying the original Digi Charat was
just another cute mascot show - both were blatent parodies. (Of course,
later, Digi Charat DID become just another cute masctor show, but that's
neither here nor there.)

>> Therefore, while you might not like it, a primary component of the
>> audience for the series is people who hate punching-bag series' (such
>> as myself)?
>
> Well, then, perhaps you could enlighten me a little...
>
> Is Sakura allowed (by the writers) to stand up to Dokuro-chan?
> Does Dokuro-chan get punished for her aggressive behaviour at all?

I don't know; since it hasn't been licensed until now, I haven't watched
beyond the first two episodes (although I suppose he does get a measure of
temporary revenge in episode 2 by inflicting the runs on Dokuro-chan). What
I do know is the show presents Dokuro as sadistic and cruel; not
"hot-tempered", and there is never any moral justification whatsoever for
her actions (unlike poster-child for the genre Love Hina, where the guy
brought half his problems on himself); as well, of course, her violence is
far more over-the-top, consisting as it does of decapitations and other
instant-death attacks. Even the opening theme cheerfully relates how she
tortures the main character in a variety of ways (from dripping hot wax on
him to whipping him to cock-teasing) because "that's how I show my love!".
As well, the show deliberately references other similar shows, such as when
Dokuro says the cute mysterious girl usually distracts the protagonist from
studying, and the main character goes "Yeah, but guys in those kind of shows
are usually useless losers."

Again, if you don't like it, that's fine. Humour's a personal thing. But
it's still very obviously a parody of that kind of series. I mean, cripes,
the NAME.

> One of the problems I had with series like Sabrina (live, animated) and
> the
> Proud Family was that the writers did not allow the main characters to
> fight back against their oppressors. If these characters didn't whine
> about their problems, they bore the brunt like 'good little rape victims'.

Yeah, see, I find it somewhat offensive that you equate cartoon violence
with no long-lasting ill effects to rape.

-
Blade

Blade

Jun 17, 2008, 10:04:33 AM6/17/08

"Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote in message

> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Can't imagine why a blatent parody of harem comedies would be
>> unlicensable anyway...
>
> Because it sucks. Big time.

You think that makes something unlicensable? I guess you haven't checked
what's out there lately. ;p

-
Blade

Galen

Jun 17, 2008, 10:42:55 AM6/17/08
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 07:41:42 -0400, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> Proud Family was that the writers did not allow the main characters to
>> fight back against their oppressors. If these characters didn't whine
>> about their problems, they bore the brunt like 'good little rape victims'.
>
>Yeah, see, I find it somewhat offensive that you equate cartoon violence
>with no long-lasting ill effects to rape.

It's a meme in the US that people follow the examples they see
on television; since the culture on TV is insanely sick and warped,
people are concerned that the generation now being raised by
TV will have a demonic ideal of normalcy.

Galen

Blade

Jun 17, 2008, 11:30:07 AM6/17/08

"Galen" <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote in message

Sort of like how Looney Tunes raised an entire generation to trick other
people into eating sticks of dynamite disguised as turkeys?

-
Blade

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Jun 17, 2008, 11:52:17 AM6/17/08
Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers" <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> Can't imagine why a blatent parody of harem comedies would be
>>> unlicensable anyway...
>>
>> Because it sucks. Big time.
>
> You think that makes something unlicensable?

Well, one would like to think so.

Captain Nerd

Jun 17, 2008, 12:24:51 PM6/17/08
In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Because it sucks. Big time.
> >
> > You think that makes something unlicensable?
>
> Well, one would like to think so.

I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
someone will license anything.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Blade

Jun 17, 2008, 12:33:50 PM6/17/08

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

> In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>
>> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > You think that makes something unlicensable?
>>
>> Well, one would like to think so.
>
> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> someone will license anything.

Courtesy of Wikipedia...

"M.D. Geist was released in the U.S. by Central Park Media in 1992; two
years prior, the company used Geist as the logo for their mainstream anime
label U.S. Manga Corps. Curiosity by fans over U.S. Manga Corps' logo
boosted domestic sales of the OVA and prompted Central Park Media to
collaborate with co-creator Koichi Ohata in producing a sequel."

Also somebody apparently actually bought Ikkitousen. So what was that about
Dokuro-chan? ;p

-
Blade

Aje RavenStar

Jun 17, 2008, 12:40:20 PM6/17/08

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message
> In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>
>> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > You think that makes something unlicensable?
>>
>> Well, one would like to think so.
>
> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> someone will license anything.
>
> Cap.

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for their restraint in not
mentioning Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.
Ah, crap.

DBBrandell

Jun 17, 2008, 2:03:23 PM6/17/08

Tooo lattte nowwww.... :)

But given how well other 'bent' comedies have done on CN and AS, I think
it made sense to run Bo7. If sensible thought can be a consideration
for anything about comedy. :)

Anyway, what is considered marketable as extreme American comedy has
gone pretty far out, especially in the direct to DVD market. So I'd
agree that nothing is unlicensable for comedy right now. They're going
to have to find a limit the hard way when something really bombs ( Assy
McGee, I'm looking at you, with my fingers crossed and murder in my
heart. But hey, maybe that's just me. But I hope not. :( )

As for Bo7, myself, I found I could take about 15 minutes of it, but
then my mind would start to melt, and I'd have to mute the sound and
wait for something else to come on CN. So I guess you could say I half
liked that. :)

DBB

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jun 17, 2008, 2:37:40 PM6/17/08
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:24pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:

> In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>
> > Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > You think that makes something unlicensable?
> >
> > Well, one would like to think so.
>
> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> someone will license anything.

Kodomo no Jikan? ^_^

Captain Nerd

Jun 17, 2008, 3:18:39 PM6/17/08
In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:

> Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:24pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:
>
> > In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,
> > Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:

> > > Well, one would like to think so.
> >
> > I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> > someone will license anything.
> >

> Kodomo no Jikan? ^_^

Is that an "incest romance" like Koi Kaze? >_<

Galen

Jun 17, 2008, 3:55:08 PM6/17/08
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:18:39 -0400, Captain Nerd
<cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:

>> Kodomo no Jikan? ^_^
>
> Is that an "incest romance" like Koi Kaze? >_<

Not at all. A young teacher starts his career by taking over
the class of a teacher who was hauled away in a rubber
truck. His new students, Elementary grade 3, have issues,
including unsocialized sexual aggression.

Warewolf

Jun 17, 2008, 4:08:13 PM6/17/08
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in news:cptnerd-
0A75BF.122...@news.giganews.com:

> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know someone
> will license anything.

*waits patiently for an uncensored Daria box set*
(that's including the music clips, people!)

Signed,
Warewolf
who will pay $150 CAN if it includes the two (UNCENSORED) movies, the Daria
Diaries and the Database.

...and it's not pronounced Duh-RIAA either!!! 9_9

Captain Nerd

Jun 17, 2008, 4:18:04 PM6/17/08
In article <ag5g5492a4tsah87h...@4ax.com>,
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

"And wackiness ensues." Geeze, I guess someone thought it was
"moe"... >_<

Warewolf

Jun 17, 2008, 4:19:47 PM6/17/08
DBBrandell <NoSuc...@NoSuchAccount.net> wrote in news:
_JKdnRqnZ9PwYcrV...@vnet-inc.com:

> But given how well other 'bent' comedies have done on CN and AS, I
> think it made sense to run Bo7. If sensible thought can be a
> consideration for anything about comedy. :)

I won't ask if there's a Luke7. (Why 'Hazzard' a guess?) ^_^;

> Anyway, what is considered marketable as extreme American comedy has
> gone pretty far out, especially in the direct to DVD market. So I'd
> agree that nothing is unlicensable for comedy right now. They're going
> to have to find a limit the hard way when something really bombs ( Assy
> McGee, I'm looking at you, with my fingers crossed and murder in my
> heart. But hey, maybe that's just me. But I hope not. :( )

Oh the implausibilities if Assy were female...or the studio offered
another anatomical anamoly.

(I actually thought up a 'jive-talking' pair of lips, at some point)
(Damn those Tang commercials) ^_^;

> As for Bo7, myself, I found I could take about 15 minutes of it, but
> then my mind would start to melt, and I'd have to mute the sound and
> wait for something else to come on CN. So I guess you could say I half
> liked that. :)

Is it true the nose knows?

I'm sorry. That's not a hair question.

Then I won't ask about Boston's 'baked beans' either.

(Don't ask where that came from)

Signed,
Warewolf
who learned that size isn't everything last night (via a certain ATHF ep)

Warewolf

Jun 17, 2008, 4:21:50 PM6/17/08
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in news:cptnerd-
2B6051.161...@news.giganews.com:

> "And wackiness ensues." Geeze, I guess someone thought it was
> "moe"... >_<

Enter 'Larry Boy' and someone with 'naturally curly hair'... 9_9

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jun 17, 2008, 4:38:33 PM6/17/08
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 3:18pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:

> In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.08...@uofr.net>,
> "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote:
>
> > Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:24pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:

> > > I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> > > someone will license anything.
> > >

> > Kodomo no Jikan? ^_^
>
> Is that an "incest romance" like Koi Kaze? >_<

Well, that might be too,
but someone may know it's child pr0n when they see it. ^_^

bobbie sellers

Jun 17, 2008, 5:08:13 PM6/17/08
Captain Nerd wrote:
> In article <g38mjh...@news.in-ulm.de>,
> Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <usene...@planetcobalt.net> wrote:
>

>> Blade <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> You think that makes something unlicensable?
>>>
>> Well, one would like to think so.
>>

> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
> someone will license anything.
>
> Cap.

Captain, Koi Kaze as seen here was anything but salacious. A tale
of what
a broken family can lead to, a cautionary tale for adults and older teens.
I think it is highly specific to Japanese families but the moral is
clear enough.

Are you unhappy because the anime doesn't show enough suffering on the
part of the unfortunate brother and sister?

Anime isn't just porn and kid stuff. The serious work is a bit
scarce but
I used to read British fiction that used incest as a plot device. It
was not
salacious either.

later
bliss -- C O C O A Powered... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Derek Janssen

Jun 17, 2008, 5:44:53 PM6/17/08
bobbie sellers wrote:

>>> Well, one would like to think so.
>>
>> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
>> someone will license anything.
>
> Captain, Koi Kaze as seen here was anything but salacious. A tale of
> what
> a broken family can lead to, a cautionary tale for adults and older teens.
> I think it is highly specific to Japanese families but the moral is
> clear enough.

Uh, don't think he was complaining about the prurience--
Think he was complaining about companies licensing series regardless of
whether or not there's a fan base that actually WANTS them...

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Mehdi Tibouchi

Jun 17, 2008, 6:47:03 PM6/17/08
Captain Nerd wrote in message
<cptnerd-2B6051...@news.giganews.com>:

> "And wackiness ensues." Geeze, I guess someone thought it was
> "moe"... >_<

I did. And I liked Koi Kaze too, although it was a lot less moe--but it
certainly delivered in the "people experiencing feelings at odds with
society's ethical norms" department.

Farix

Jun 17, 2008, 7:52:26 PM6/17/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:24pm-0400, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>:
>
>> I thought that way before they licensed "Koi Kaze". Now I know
>> someone will license anything.
>>

> Kodomo no Jikan? ^_^

Unlikely, but not improbable.

Farix

Captain Nerd

Jun 17, 2008, 8:58:47 PM6/17/08
In article <pfW5k.7671$LN.3852@trndny03>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

Mainly, yeah. Also, given the conservative cultural nature of the US,
I was surprised that it made it past whatever in-house decision
committee the licensor had. There were two strikes against it, the
big one being the incest angle, the other being the age differences
between the siblings, with the girl being clearly underage. I don't
care for those kinds of stories, but I'm not fool enough to demand
that my tastes drive the market. I really can't believe that there
would have been a majority of anime fans beating down the door at
the anime company (Geneon?) demanding more incest and near-pedophilia.

I've been wrong before, though...

Captain Nerd

Jun 17, 2008, 9:05:30 PM6/17/08
In article <7grli5-...@matsuri.bikasuishin.org>,
Mehdi Tibouchi <med...@alussinan.org> wrote:

Which, if you like that sort of thing, is the sort of thing
you'll like.

I don't, and didn't. I like to have some sympathy for characters
in a story, and the closest I came was pity for the girl. As I
said cross-thread, though, I don't require that any company follow
my tastes, unless they want to sell me something, in which case I
expect wackiness within certain bounds, and/or adventure and/or
interesting characters.

Invid Fan

Jun 17, 2008, 9:26:08 PM6/17/08
In article <cptnerd-BE9E73...@news.giganews.com>, Captain
Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:

And, to top it off those actually looking for incest and
near-pedophilia would be disappointed unless they were in the mood for
a slow moving non-explicit story mostly about repressed emotions.

--
Chris Mack *insert witty quote here*
'Invid Fan'

Dave Watson

Jun 17, 2008, 9:56:30 PM6/17/08
On Jun 17, 9:05 pm, Captain Nerd <cptn...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:
> In article <7grli5-usb....@matsuri.bikasuishin.org>,

> Mehdi Tibouchi <med...@alussinan.org> wrote:
>
> > Captain Nerd wrote in message
> > <cptnerd-2B6051.16180417062...@news.giganews.com>:

> > > "And wackiness ensues." Geeze, I guess someone thought it was
> > > "moe"... >_<
>
> > I did. And I liked Koi Kaze too, although it was a lot less moe--but it
> > certainly delivered in the "people experiencing feelings at odds with
> > society's ethical norms" department.
>
> Which, if you like that sort of thing, is the sort of thing
> you'll like.
>
> I don't, and didn't. I like to have some sympathy for characters
> in a story, and the closest I came was pity for the girl. As I
> said cross-thread, though, I don't require that any company follow
> my tastes, unless they want to sell me something, in which case I
> expect wackiness within certain bounds, and/or adventure and/or
> interesting characters.

I read all the manga of this one scanlated (no, I wasn't expecting
salaciousness out of it myself). IMHO, the anime failed because it
didn't represent the male lead's inner struggles very well, and just
made him look cranky most of the time, thus blowing any sympathy you
might have for him. Thank Belldandy I didn't buy this blind (borrowed
it from a friend).

Watson.

Invid Fan

Jun 17, 2008, 10:31:31 PM6/17/08
In article
<4b6bad26-988a-4ce3...@27g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

Haven't read the manga but I agree. You never see why the hell his
sister falls for him, unless she's so starved for attention that the
scraps he shows her between cranky outbursts seem like true love.

Warewolf

Jun 17, 2008, 10:38:33 PM6/17/08
Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in news:cptnerd-
C85691.210...@news.giganews.com:

> ...I don't require that any company follow my tastes, unless they want
> to sell me something, in which case I expect [among other things]
> interesting characters.

In the design or writing department(s)?

I've seen my share of 'ordinary characters' that were well-written/voiced
(ie Daria Morgendorffer, Juniper Lee; Slade from Teen Titans) and some
characters that, at the very least, had some clever ideas behind them (ie
Buzzsaw Girl, Waffle Woman; the various sentai and shoujo 'underlings'
like a certain 'lipstick monster').

It'd be easy to say that a combination of the two (good writing +
imaginative design) would be a welcome addition on the retail shelf but I
haven't read every manga/doujin available in my area so I'm not entirely
aware of which series explore the advantages/quirks of being a robot
girl, game sprite, shape-shifter or other character type (or being
transformed in various random ways) and I won't always have time to
research/discover the ones that do.

(ie Is Chobits a good title to get into?)

I have my own 'twisted tastes' (sarcastic girls are always amusing,
'bouncy-bouncy' works best in the evening) and I don't expect the studios
to cater to them either but I will admit that I've been pleasantly
surprised when a comic/manga or animated show (unintentionally) caters to
them. (ie the Kim Possible episodes, 'Blush' and 'Emotion Sickness')

It doesn't mean I'm inclined to search for diamonds in the coal piles,
though 9_9

Signed,
Warewolf

[Ignore this signature]
[at your own tsk ~_^ ]

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Jun 18, 2008, 12:31:48 AM6/18/08
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 8:08pm-0000, Warewolf <warewol...@shaw.ca>:

DA-A-RI-A?

Laters. =)

Stan

Blade

Jun 18, 2008, 7:50:16 AM6/18/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

Yeah, what we all really need is more Ai Yori Yoshi. Geez. Catering to the
lowest common denominator is certainly good business, but there is an
audience for anime with actual thought put into them, believe it or not.

-
Blade

Rob Kelk

Jun 18, 2008, 9:30:31 AM6/18/08
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 02:38:33 GMT, Warewolf <warewol...@shaw.ca>
wrote:

<snip>

>It'd be easy to say that a combination of the two (good writing +
>imaginative design) would be a welcome addition on the retail shelf but I
>haven't read every manga/doujin available in my area so I'm not entirely
>aware of which series explore the advantages/quirks of being a robot
>girl, game sprite, shape-shifter or other character type (or being
>transformed in various random ways) and I won't always have time to
>research/discover the ones that do.
>
>(ie Is Chobits a good title to get into?)

Well, I liked the anime...

The Primer writeup that Travers donated is accurate:
http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/primer/primer-c.html#chobits

Does that seem like something you'd want to watch?

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Invid Fan

Jun 18, 2008, 11:20:21 AM6/18/08

And there's nothing wrong with a company trying out a genre to see if
there IS a market. You just have to make sure you mix these in with
proven money makers, and perhaps advertising them outside the usual
fandom...

Galen

Jun 18, 2008, 6:50:09 PM6/18/08
On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:29:41 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

>Media Blastsers Licensing Announcement
>
>Media Blasters (source AnimeOnDVD Forum)
>Dokuro-chan
>
>This post on the AnimeOnDVD forum was made by John Sirabella, who
>works for Media Blasters. Unfortunately it's not yet known whether
>Media Blasters has licensed both OVA series or just the first. At this
>time AnimeSuki presumes they have both OVA series.
>endquote

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-Chan DVD (S)

* Age Rating - 16+ More Information
* Date Available - Sep 30 2008
* 180 Minutes
* Year Created - 2007
* Format - English Subtitles
* Media - DVD
* Product Availability - Pre-Order, Not Yet Shipping
* Publisher - MEDIA BLASTERS

Have questions? Send us some feedback!

Submit your own review of this item.

Retail Price: $24.99
Your Price: $18.74
Quantity:
Item: awdvd0868

Message has been deleted

ROI

Jun 19, 2008, 8:27:17 PM6/19/08
On Jun 20, 7:16 am, arrom...@green.rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote:
> >> That's it.  There is no such thing as "unlicensable" any more.
>
> Sazae-san is still unlicensable.
>
> Afro-ken probably so too.
> --
>        Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net /http://www.rahul.net/arromdee
>
> "In a superhero story, Superman jumps off buildings and flies. In a realistic
> story, Superman doesn't jump off buildings and can't fly. Deconstruction is
> writing a story where Superman can't fly but he still jumps off of buildings."

I found a translated volume of Sazae-san comics in a Lifeline
Bookfest. There must be some kind of market for them.

Warewolf

Apr 24, 2012, 1:51:36 AM4/24/12
"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:g387tn$r1m$1...@aioe.org:

> "Warewolf" <warewol...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Uh, you do realise Dokuro-chan is making fun of those series',
>>> right?
>>
>> You did mention it before in an another thread but I'm not entirely
>> convinced that it's a watchable series (at least, not *yet*). ^_^;
>
> I'm not saying you should like it just because I do. I'm saying that
> lumping it in with other series' who use "girl beats up guy" as a plot
> device is mischaracterising it. It's rather like saying the original
> Digi Charat was just another cute mascot show - both were blatent
> parodies. (Of course, later, Digi Charat DID become just another cute
> masctor show, but that's neither here nor there.)

Problem is, it isn't just 'girl beats up guy' - it's rabbit-beats-duck,
jerk-berates-girl and rich-guy-pisses-on-the-downtrodden.

In other words, it's animated racism, sexism and 'class-ism' being
labelled as 'kid-safe' and, in a world where bullies like the Taliban and
the RIAA are gaining the upper hand, I don't find that acceptable.

>>> Therefore, while you might not like it, a primary component of the
>>> audience for the series is people who hate punching-bag series'
>>> (such as myself)?
>>
>> Well, then, perhaps you could enlighten me a little...
>>
>> Is Sakura allowed (by the writers) to stand up to Dokuro-chan?
>> Does Dokuro-chan get punished for her aggressive behaviour at all?
>
> I don't know; since it hasn't been licensed until now, I haven't
> watched beyond the first two episodes (although I suppose he does get
> a measure of temporary revenge in episode 2 by inflicting the runs on
> Dokuro-chan). What I do know is the show presents Dokuro as sadistic
> and cruel; not "hot-tempered", and there is never any moral
> justification whatsoever for her actions (unlike poster-child for the
> genre Love Hina, where the guy brought half his problems on himself);
> as well, of course, her violence is far more over-the-top, consisting
> as it does of decapitations and other instant-death attacks. Even the
> opening theme cheerfully relates how she tortures the main character
> in a variety of ways (from dripping hot wax on him to whipping him to
> cock-teasing) because "that's how I show my love!". As well, the show
> deliberately references other similar shows, such as when Dokuro says
> the cute mysterious girl usually distracts the protagonist from
> studying, and the main character goes "Yeah, but guys in those kind of
> shows are usually useless losers."
>
> Again, if you don't like it, that's fine. Humour's a personal thing.
> But it's still very obviously a parody of that kind of series. I mean,
> cripes, the NAME.

Well, I've seen my share of parodies as well (Robot Chicken,

In fact, I watch the first four episodes the weekend after my last post.
All it did was make me angry.

The title character didn't just abuse her roommate, she abused her powers
in her favor and to ensure that the rest of humanity dumped on Sakura.

And I didn't just want to smash Dokuro-chan and Sabbath, I wanted to blow
up the flapjacking studio and shoot any crewmembers that came out with an
AK-47.

>> One of the problems I had with series like Sabrina (live, animated)
>> and the
>> Proud Family was that the writers did not allow the main characters
>> to fight back against their oppressors. If these characters didn't
>> whine about their problems, they bore the brunt like 'good little
>> rape victims'.
>
> Yeah, see, I find it somewhat offensive that you equate cartoon
> violence with no long-lasting ill effects to rape.

People are being told through cartoons like Robo-roach that hurting
losers is okay.