OT - Alas, Houston's Usenet is doomed finally

Aje RavenStar

Oct 2, 2008, 7:08:02 PM10/2/08
Comcast is killing off our Usenet access on the 25th of this month (of
course with no reduction in charge reflecting the reduction in service).
Can ya'll review us on alternatives again?

Galen

Oct 2, 2008, 7:15:26 PM10/2/08

Giganews is the high end, but you pay for it:
http://www.giganews.com/

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Oct 2, 2008, 7:24:41 PM10/2/08

Motzarella.org.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Aje RavenStar

Oct 2, 2008, 7:21:26 PM10/2/08

"Galen" <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote in message

Yeah, the message from Comcast gave us a link to them, and what was charged
(it's never clearly stated, but I'm assuming those are 'per month' prices).
Even with the special 3 month 'ex-Comcast customer rate', uh-uh. (And of
course, Comcast laughs when you call and ask how much the bill will be
reduced to reflect the reduction in service - no one not committed to
kicking them out of their contract when the chance comes will get my vote
for city government).

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Oct 2, 2008, 7:39:23 PM10/2/08

Motzarella is free, just FYI.

Rob Kelk

Oct 2, 2008, 7:41:04 PM10/2/08
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:08:02 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

I pay to use Individual.net - inexpensive, but I don't get access to the
binaries groups. http://news.individual.net

Some folks here use Aioe.org - it's free, but its "no authentication
needed" philosophy gives it a reputation in some circles as a troll
haven. http://aioe.org/

At worst (and I do mean worst - they don't follow standard Usenet
practices, so they're this decade's equivalent of the dreaded AOL),
there's always Google Groups. http://groups.google.com

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Nick

Oct 2, 2008, 9:18:07 PM10/2/08

Forte, the producer of the Agent newsreader, provides Usenet access for a
fee: <http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php>.

I have no experience at all with their news service; I just use what comes
with my ISP.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

... And it was written in fiery pixels: FREE UNLIMITED ACCESS FOR ALL!!

Mike Swaim

Oct 3, 2008, 12:13:20 PM10/3/08
Aje RavenStar wrote:

Hal-PC still has Usenet, and they offer DSL through SW Bell.

--
I need a sig.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 3, 2008, 12:48:37 PM10/3/08
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 23:41:04 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:08:02 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
><whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Comcast is killing off our Usenet access on the 25th of this month (of
>>course with no reduction in charge reflecting the reduction in service).
>>Can ya'll review us on alternatives again?
>

>I pay to use Individual.net - inexpensive, but I don't get access to the
>binaries groups. http://news.individual.net

That's my provider! Not bad for ten (or was it twelve now) Euros a
year (more benefits of globalization), especially since I don't do
binaries . . .

bobbie sellers

Oct 4, 2008, 10:50:21 AM10/4/08
<http://blinkynet.net/comp/newfeed.html>

Will help a bit. I have Individual.net which costs
10 Euros a year.

later
bliss -- ... (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Aje RavenStar

Oct 4, 2008, 1:14:06 PM10/4/08

"Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org> wrote in message

That might work. I don't need DSL (I haven't even had phone lines plugged
into the computer modems for 3 years or more). Gonna stick with Comcast as
IP for now, until I set up a thing I have in mind that will eliminate need
to move webpages and change email addresses with everyone I do business with
every several years - after that, here I come, dish network, AT&T, or
someone. I'll talk to them later this week, see if usenet access over web
is possible.

Nick

Oct 4, 2008, 2:11:26 PM10/4/08

On Sat, 4 Oct 2008 12:14:06 -0500, in rec.arts.anime.misc, "Aje RavenStar"
<whine...@comcast.net> wrote:

><snip> until I set up a thing I have in mind that will eliminate need

>to move webpages and change email addresses with everyone I do business with
>every several years

I signed up with pobox.com eleven years ago, and haven't had to worry about
new E-mail addresses since, despite several ISP changes over the years.

<http://pobox.com/>

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Mike Swaim

Oct 5, 2008, 1:05:47 AM10/5/08
Aje RavenStar wrote:

> "Mike Swaim" <mps...@mdanderson.org> wrote in message
> >

> > Hal-PC still has Usenet, and they offer DSL through SW Bell.
>
> That might work. I don't need DSL (I haven't even had phone lines
> plugged into the computer modems for 3 years or more). Gonna stick
> with Comcast as IP for now, until I set up a thing I have in mind
> that will eliminate need to move webpages and change email addresses
> with everyone I do business with every several years - after that,
> here I come, dish network, AT&T, or someone. I'll talk to them later
> this week, see if usenet access over web is possible.

I don't think that they support a web based client. On the other
hand, you can connect to the Usenet server from outside their network,
and clients are a dime a dozen.

--

Sigless...

Justin

Oct 5, 2008, 6:14:14 PM10/5/08

It's cheaper just to get your own domain name from godaddy.com and then
forward 100 email addresses instead of the 5 pobox offers. For half as
much.

Abraham Evangelista

Oct 6, 2008, 8:27:28 AM10/6/08
On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:14:14 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
wrote:

Sure it is, right up until you're 5 minutes late and godaddy decides
to hold your domain hostage.

That's assuming you can even GET the domain you want without godaddy
automagically registering it themselves mere seconds before you finish
the process.

I agree with Justing; owning your own domain is best. But godaddy is
not the way to get it!
--
Abraham Evangelista

Captain Nerd

Oct 6, 2008, 9:34:49 AM10/6/08
In article <qt0ke4ps7kp0cbd35...@4ax.com>,
Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:14:14 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Nick wrote on [Sat, 04 Oct 2008 18:11:26 GMT]:

> >> I signed up with pobox.com eleven years ago, and haven't had to worry
> >> about
> >> new E-mail addresses since, despite several ISP changes over the years.
> >>
> >> <http://pobox.com/>
> >
> >It's cheaper just to get your own domain name from godaddy.com and then
> >forward 100 email addresses instead of the 5 pobox offers. For half as
> >much.
>
> Sure it is, right up until you're 5 minutes late and godaddy decides
> to hold your domain hostage.

Not my in my experience.

> That's assuming you can even GET the domain you want without godaddy
> automagically registering it themselves mere seconds before you finish
> the process.

Not in my experience.

> I agree with Justing; owning your own domain is best. But godaddy is
> not the way to get it!
> --
> Abraham Evangelista

One piece of advice, never look for a domain using some website's
lookup page. Always use "whois" from a Unix or Linux box. Especially
don't use some small fly-by-night registrar (which GoDaddy isn't)
which is liable to go bankrupt and leave your domain hanging in
registration space where you can never get it again.

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Justin

Oct 6, 2008, 10:43:14 AM10/6/08
Abraham Evangelista wrote on [Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:27:28 GMT]:
> On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 17:14:14 -0500, Justin <nos...@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Nick wrote on [Sat, 04 Oct 2008 18:11:26 GMT]:

>>> I signed up with pobox.com eleven years ago, and haven't had to worry about
>>> new E-mail addresses since, despite several ISP changes over the years.
>>>
>>> <http://pobox.com/>
>>
>>It's cheaper just to get your own domain name from godaddy.com and then
>>forward 100 email addresses instead of the 5 pobox offers. For half as
>>much.
>
> Sure it is, right up until you're 5 minutes late and godaddy decides
> to hold your domain hostage.

Never happened to me either.

> That's assuming you can even GET the domain you want without godaddy
> automagically registering it themselves mere seconds before you finish
> the process.

In the couple of dozen experiences I have had at registering names with
them I have never run into this.

ender

Oct 6, 2008, 12:29:17 PM10/6/08
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 09:34:49 -0400, Captain Nerd wrote:

> One piece of advice, never look for a domain using some website's
> lookup page. Always use "whois" from a Unix or Linux box. Especially
> don't use some small fly-by-night registrar (which GoDaddy isn't)

It isn't, but there's a ton of cases when GoDaddy registered the domain
when you tried to check (or even register) it through them.

--
< ender ><><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.

Inu-Yasha

Oct 16, 2008, 10:13:43 PM10/16/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:08:02 -0500, "Aje RavenStar"
> <whine...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Comcast is killing off our Usenet access on the 25th of this month (of
>>course with no reduction in charge reflecting the reduction in service).
>>Can ya'll review us on alternatives again?
>

> I pay to use Individual.net - inexpensive, but I don't get access to the
> binaries groups. http://news.individual.net
>
> Some folks here use Aioe.org - it's free, but its "no authentication
> needed" philosophy gives it a reputation in some circles as a troll
> haven. http://aioe.org/
>
> At worst (and I do mean worst - they don't follow standard Usenet
> practices, so they're this decade's equivalent of the dreaded AOL),
> there's always Google Groups. http://groups.google.com

Ah, don't say Google, That was the worst mess of stuff to wade through I
have ever done in my life. I finally succumbed to newshosting.com's really
bad terms of use agreement after trying Google for about a month ( I gave up
for a couple of months, but finally here I am. FYI Bright House/Roadrunner
cut of news groups back in I think June, like Comcast in Houston, and nope
no rate reduction either.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^