Funimation had a third of the market -- BEFORE it got Sojitz and Geneon's rescues...

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2008, 10:52:53 PM9/8/08
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-08/funimation-tallies-rd-of-north-american-anime-sales

And the article says that the share could be even higher if they count
the anime sold out of stores like WalMart.

You guys still want to say that my claim of 60-65% of the market is
bullshit???

It is now every fan's business, if they want an industry, vis-a-vis
the health of Funimation and Navarre.

Here's something that should scare the pants off of you if you
actually believe this is still a healthy industry:

ADV's share for the first half of 2008?? 10.5% -- which would make it
still the #3 company in market share behind Viz.

Understand what this means... ADV had no new market for at least six
weeks (and probably much longer) out of the first half of this year,
and it still got a tenth of the market??

I may have to revise my guess for 2008's total DVD market ($200M)
downward another $20-30M.

According to AnimeNation, the top five companies:

Funimation 32.7
Viz 15.9
ADV 10.5
Bandai Ent. 7.7
Media Blasters 5.0

Top 10 anime of the summer?

Batman: Gotham Knight
Dragonball Z
Naruto
Death Note
Pokemon
Afro Samurai
DMC
Vexille
Appleseed-Ex Machina
Bleach

Mike

AstroNerdBoy

Sep 9, 2008, 5:25:51 AM9/9/08
FUNimation totally rules, don't they? Sure, they've had some flub
ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
works and doesn't include blaming the fans. Yay, FUNimation! ^_^

-ANB

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime & Manga Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

Farix

Sep 9, 2008, 8:27:56 AM9/9/08
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> FUNimation totally rules, don't they? Sure, they've had some flub
> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> works and doesn't include blaming the fans. Yay, FUNimation! ^_^

Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~

Rob Kelk

Sep 9, 2008, 8:58:26 AM9/9/08
On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:27:56 -0400, Farix <dhstr...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

What, he's surprised that FUNi is to this decade what ADV was to last
decade or AnimEigo was to the decade before that? Kids these days...

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"Aggresive killfiling. I highly recommend it. It isn't personal;

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 9, 2008, 9:32:46 AM9/9/08
wrote:

>AstroNerdBoy wrote:

Also gotta love his attempt to spin ADV's success (third in the
market, even with their recent troubles); I mean, not only *not*
dying, but seem on the verge of thriving again!

Dave Watson

Sep 9, 2008, 9:39:12 AM9/9/08
On Sep 8, 10:52 pm, darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> [squawk squawk squawk squawk squawk squaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!]

*yawn*

Watson.

AstroNerdBoy

Sep 9, 2008, 12:33:11 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 6:58 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:27:56 -0400, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> >AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> >> FUNimation totally rules, don't they?  Sure, they've had some flub
> >> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> >> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> >> works and doesn't include blaming the fans.  Yay, FUNimation!  ^_^
>
> >Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
> >trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
>
> What, he's surprised that FUNi is to this decade what ADV was to last
> decade or AnimEigo was to the decade before that?  Kids these days...

I think the difference this time is that (1) FUNimation has financial
muscle (which sadly AnimEigo never had and why ADV started taking
franchises like "You're Under Arrest" from them) and (2) FUNimation's
licensing strategy isn't to grab sub-par or average anime titles and
try to score cheap sales by making them seem what they are not. I
foresee FUNimation's continued domination for a long time to come.

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 12:51:30 PM9/9/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

They are only third because they dumped so much material on the market prior
to loosing the licenses. ADV may survive, but will be a pale imitation of
what it once was. PIQ died a quick death for a company just on the verge of
thriving. As a loyal prior customer, I feel betrayed and cheated by them.
I am now going to have to buy box sets of several series from Funi for that
last DVD. Funi is not winning any friends by that policy ether.

Bobby

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 2:52:55 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 2:25 am, AstroNerdBoy <astronerd...@astronerdboy.com> wrote:
> FUNimation totally rules, don't they?  Sure, they've had some flub
> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> works and doesn't include blaming the fans.  Yay, FUNimation!  ^_^

People were scoffing at the notion I stated two months ago when I said
that Funimation had 60-65% of the anime industry. Between the
acquisition of the ADV Sojitz titles and the amount of the market not
accounted for with WalMart and the like (estimated to be 30-40% of the
entire industry now going through the likes of the bastards), I think
a supermajority of the industry going through Funimation is not out of
the question.

And I've been hearing noise for some time now that there have been
serious questions as to why Bandai-Namco continues to market anime to
the United States at all. These numbers can not be refreshing to that
end either.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 2:56:15 PM9/9/08

No. I'm not surprised at _Funimation's_ comparative success.

Here's the problem with your argument (And I'm still waiting for your
lawsuit, bitch...):

We have percentages of a whole. The question, frankly, is how much
that whole actually _is_. What I am "selling as doom" is the apparent
number that ADV, with all of its foibles and completely making a
fucking laughingstock of itself, still appears (with the WalMart
caveat) to have 6-7% of the market.

If that's the case, the "whole" (whatever amount is 100% of the
market) can't be that much -- it certainly can't be as much as it has
been even in the first three years of the downturn. I'd be shocked if
the total for the entire US DVD industry for the first six months of
2008 was more than, say, $75 million, tops!!

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 2:57:08 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 6:32 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:27:56 -0400, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com>

Whee. You miss the point completely.

If ADV, with all the shit they've pulled this year, is third in the
market, then WHAT MARKET IS THERE???

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 2:58:55 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 9:33 am, AstroNerdBoy <astronerd...@astronerdboy.com> wrote:

> I think the difference this time is that (1) FUNimation has financial
> muscle (which sadly AnimEigo never had and why ADV started taking
> franchises like "You're Under Arrest" from them) and (2) FUNimation's
> licensing strategy isn't to grab sub-par or average anime titles and
> try to score cheap sales by making them seem what they are not.  I
> foresee FUNimation's continued domination for a long time to come.

Any American industry at all will be dominated, to a near-monopoly
level, by Funimation/Navarre, unless one of the movie studios wishes
to make a play, and I don't see that happening in this economy.

But what's going to happen when Ouran loses about $1-2 million for
Funimation? It's clear that Ouran is THE most important title in
anime today -- what happens when sales inevitably disappoint?

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 3:01:05 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 9:51 am, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:

> They are only third because they dumped so much material on the market prior
> to loosing the licenses.   ADV may survive, but will be a pale imitation of
> what it once was.  PIQ died a quick death for a company just on the verge of
> thriving.  As a loyal prior customer, I feel betrayed and cheated by them.
> I am now going to have to buy box sets of several series from Funi for that
> last DVD.  Funi is not winning any friends by that policy ether.

They may not be winning any friends, but I am actually shocked, given
Geneon's fall and ADV's death (I'll answer the immediate taunts with
the response of: How much is 100%??), that a lot of these titles
would be, or even SHOULD BE, completed.

This is one of the reasons, frankly, that I felt they should've just
bought the corpse of ADV outright, taken The Anime Network, and used
it to complete a lot of the series.

Mike

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Sep 9, 2008, 3:09:20 PM9/9/08
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 9:33am-0700, AstroNerdBoy <astron...@astronerdboy.com>:

> On Sep 9, 6:58 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> > On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:27:56 -0400, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > >Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
> > >trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
> >
> > What, he's surprised that FUNi is to this decade what ADV was to last
> > decade or AnimEigo was to the decade before that?  Kids these days...
> >

> I think the difference this time is that (1) FUNimation has financial
> muscle (which sadly AnimEigo never had and why ADV started taking
> franchises like "You're Under Arrest" from them) and (2) FUNimation's
> licensing strategy isn't to grab sub-par or average anime titles and
> try to score cheap sales by making them seem what they are not. I

Well, we'll see how they market Kaze no Stigma.... ^_^

> foresee FUNimation's continued domination for a long time to come.

Everybody has their ups and downs.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 3:30:38 PM9/9/08
Farix wrote:

No, he's displaying the two favorite symptoms of the Fanboy Geek:

1) Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots--Which company/movie/franchise will knock each
other's block off?
("Just watch, Funi's going to finish off ADV, that'll show their crappy
dubbing!")

2) Evil George Lucas/[insert other name-CEO], and his Castle of Doom
("So, what world domination plans is Fukanaga planning next, as he
watches his ownership of anime grow?")

...So, has he done a PetitionOnline thing yet, for the trifecta?

Derek Janssen (they won't let him into the Cons, you know, so he's a
genius for website information!)
eja...@verizon.net

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 3:49:51 PM9/9/08

<darkst...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Actually if you listened to the Funimation/Navarre recent investor audio
conference call they listed Afro Samurai as bright spot and not Ouran. I am
not sure what they want the ADV/Geneon licenses for, but it is most likely
not DVD sales. I would bet they are planning to use them for ipod video or
some other downloadable content. From a DVD sales point of view ADV took
most of that money.

Bobby

Mike

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 4:02:45 PM9/9/08

On Sep 9, 5:27 am, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> > FUNimation totally rules, don't they? Sure, they've had some flub
> > ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> > have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> > works and doesn't include blaming the fans. Yay, FUNimation! ^_^
>
> Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
> trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~

No. I'm not surprised at _Funimation's_ comparative success.

Here's the problem with your argument (And I'm still waiting for your
lawsuit, bitch...):

We have percentages of a whole. The question, frankly, is how much
that whole actually _is_. What I am "selling as doom" is the apparent
number that ADV, with all of its foibles and completely making a
fucking laughingstock of itself, still appears (with the WalMart
caveat) to have 6-7% of the market.

Until all of the dumped DVDs dry up ADV will appear to be an active
component in the industry. ADV wanted to get rid of as much on hand stock
as possible and the stores were greedy and wanted to fill the shelves with
low cost box sets.

Bobby

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 4:06:36 PM9/9/08

"AstroNerdBoy" <astron...@astronerdboy.com> wrote in message

On Sep 9, 6:58 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 08:27:56 -0400, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >AstroNerdBoy wrote:
> >> FUNimation totally rules, don't they? Sure, they've had some flub
> >> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> >> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> >> works and doesn't include blaming the fans. Yay, FUNimation! ^_^
>
> >Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
> >trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
>
> What, he's surprised that FUNi is to this decade what ADV was to last
> decade or AnimEigo was to the decade before that? Kids these days...

I think the difference this time is that (1) FUNimation has financial
muscle

Not so much financial muscle as deep pockets to shore up a down turn in the
industry. The investor conference call listed Funi as a almost a bit player
to Navarres bottom line. They down played the contribution and some what
flat growth of Funi for the next year.

Bobby

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 9, 2008, 4:16:27 PM9/9/08

Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
Darky's still full of it . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 4:35:37 PM9/9/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:51:30 -0500, "Bobby Clark"
> <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:
>

> Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
> Darky's still full of it . . .

Only now, he's the bad, the dangerous....BOBBY CLARK!

Oo! Don't mess with him, bub, or he'll....direct "Porky's", I dunno. 0_o??

Derek Janssen (maybe he meant the Notre Dame soccer coach?)
eja...@verizon.net

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 5:15:03 PM9/9/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:51:30 -0500, "Bobby Clark"
>> <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:
>>

>> Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
>> Darky's still full of it . . .
>
> Only now, he's the bad, the dangerous....BOBBY CLARK!

I am not the other guy if that is what you are implying. I don't subscribe
to his line anymore that I subscribe to the line that Funi is this all
powerful company. I went and looked at the financials. I listened to the
investor conference calls for the parent company. I was surprised at how
little of the last call was spent on Funi. As I said in the replay to
Antonio's email, Funimation is a small part of the whole picture over at
Navarre. It is an interesting acquisition for them. I don't see a good
reason for Geneon to trash there name the way they did or to drop a 21
million dollar revenue stream. I think ADV tried to grow to big to fast.
They got caught with a down turn in the economy here in the US. Even
TokyoPop got caught in the same down turn and have had to lay off staff.

Bobby

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 5:22:31 PM9/9/08

<darkst...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Mike, walk into any Best Buy and they have 1/3 of the shelf space of DVDs.
In only fits that those are selling. When those are sold ADV's share will
drop. Most are of things they no longer have the license for. The market
in the US is soft right now. My car cost me about $50.00 a tank now 2 to 3
times per week. Last year it was $30.00 a tank. That is multiple DVDs I
can't buy. My purchases have dropped dramatically. I can't be the only
person who is having this problem.

Bobby

Mike

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 5:07:06 PM9/9/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

I agree. ADV is alive and I think they will remain alive. I think they
ware doing what any prudent business will do when faced with the situation
they are in. I have never said that the industry in the US is at risk. I
found it strange that Geneon ruined a good name and gave up 21 million in
revenue a year. I don't think Funimation is as strong as is said in this
group. The investor conference calls show that it is a relativity small
part of Navarres total picture. That is good for us as Anime fans. If Funi
has a bad quarter they stay open. And, I agree with your last statement.
In fact I had him kill filed until a little while ago.

Bobby

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 9, 2008, 5:38:24 PM9/9/08

First: Bobby, fix your quoting; it looks as though Dorkstar'/Starky's
rantings are yours.

But thanks, it allows me to quote him easily without actually having to
reply directly to him -- which I won't do.

Bobby Clark wrote:
> <darkst...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sep 9, 5:27 am, Farix <dhstran...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> AstroNerdBoy wrote:
>>> FUNimation totally rules, don't they? Sure, they've had some flub
>>> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
>>> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
>>> works and doesn't include blaming the fans. Yay, FUNimation! ^_^
>> Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
>> trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
>
>> No. I'm not surprised at _Funimation's_ comparative success.

You're bitter and resentful because The Anime Industry Should Be Dead
By Now according to your own numbers, and Funimation's making plenty of
money and sitting pretty, which pretty much torpedoes that idea.

>> Here's the problem with your argument (And I'm still waiting for your
>> lawsuit, bitch...):

You don't get it: No one's going to sue you. No one thinks you're
IMPORTANT enough to sue. Hell, I don't think any of us know who you ARE,
aside from Dorkstar/Starcade; I sure as hell don't. Nor do any of us
CARE. Occasionally you amuse us with your Chicken Little rants, but for
the most part we just look at you like the classic crazy-eyed old man
holding the "THE END IS NEAR" sign on the streetcorner. Everyone knows
he's nuts (except him), and he has no importance of significance. He's
just a strange, sad little man.

> If that's the case, the "whole" (whatever amount is 100% of the
> market) can't be that much -- it certainly can't be as much as it has
> been even in the first three years of the downturn. I'd be shocked if
> the total for the entire US DVD industry for the first six months of
> 2008 was more than, say, $75 million, tops!!

What?

The entire US DVD industry?

I think that just ONE major release, say like Iron Man, makes seven or
eight times that.

Now, you MIGHT have meant the US *Anime* DVD industry, but as per usual
you can't even be bothered to have any precision in your rantings. Even
when you USE numbers, you show no awareness of what they MEAN -- as
demonstrated by the fact that by your numbers, the entire industry
should've been gone by now.

Now, if the first 6 months of 2008 saw $75 million, that's a $150
million/year industry.

That doesn't sound like "dead". I work for a company whose yearly
revenues are around $10 million. So you just described something that's
able to support 15 companies.

Could it be bigger? Sure. But "dead" is not the term you use to
describe such an industry.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

The Wanderer

Sep 9, 2008, 5:29:21 PM9/9/08
Bobby Clark wrote:

> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:51:30 -0500, "Bobby Clark"
>>> <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
>>> Darky's still full of it . . .
>>
>> Only now, he's the bad, the dangerous....BOBBY CLARK!
>
> I am not the other guy if that is what you are implying.

No, but it's an easy mistake to make, given that you usually don't add a
level of '>' to what you quote - and so it looks like the quoted
material is new in your post. I see that you added the '>' level this
time; is there some reason you didn't do that before?

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 5:37:03 PM9/9/08
Bobby Clark wrote:

> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:51:30 -0500, "Bobby Clark"
>>><bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
>>>Darky's still full of it . . .
>>
>>Only now, he's the bad, the dangerous....BOBBY CLARK!

>>Oo! Don't mess with him, bub, or he'll....direct "Porky's", I dunno.
>>0_o??
>

> I am not the other guy if that is what you are implying.

And he has never heard of this 'Gaza' person you keep mentioning...
(No, just bringing back the classics.)

Derek Janssen (so, Bobby's "awaiting our forthcoming lawsuit" too, then?)
eja...@verizon.net

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 5:38:22 PM9/9/08

"The Wanderer" <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Bobby Clark wrote:
>
>> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> Only now, he's the bad, the dangerous....BOBBY CLARK!
>>
>> I am not the other guy if that is what you are implying.
>
> No, but it's an easy mistake to make, given that you usually don't add a
> level of '>' to what you quote - and so it looks like the quoted material
> is new in your post. I see that you added the '>' level this time; is
> there some reason you didn't do that before?

When I hit reply on some it automatically gives those marks. Replying to
your post put them in. For some reason it is not giving those for every
reply automatically. I am sorry for any confusion it is causing. Thank you
for pointing it out. I will try to resolve this before posting more.

Best Regards,

Bobby

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 5:45:32 PM9/9/08
Bobby Clark wrote:

> "The Wanderer" <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>I am not the other guy if that is what you are implying.
>>
>>No, but it's an easy mistake to make, given that you usually don't add a
>>level of '>' to what you quote - and so it looks like the quoted material
>>is new in your post. I see that you added the '>' level this time; is
>>there some reason you didn't do that before?
>
> When I hit reply on some it automatically gives those marks. Replying to
> your post put them in. For some reason it is not giving those for every
> reply automatically. I am sorry for any confusion it is causing. Thank you
> for pointing it out. I will try to resolve this before posting more.

(Darn--Well, it *did* sound like Darky trying to change his
killfile-dodge screenname to reflect his defensive "Badass who killed
six guards breaking out of the Rock with a toenail clipper" fantasies...)

Derek Janssen (who actually did look up a Bobby Clark search on Wiki to
figure out what "dangerous" mistunderstood headline figure Darky thought
he was this week)
eja...@verizon.net

Bobby Clark

Sep 9, 2008, 5:47:45 PM9/9/08

"Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)" <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote in message

> First: Bobby, fix your quoting; it looks as though Dorkstar'/Starky's
> rantings are yours.

Thank you. The Wanderer also pointed that out. I am still looking for the
cause. This install is about five years old so that might be part of it.

> But thanks, it allows me to quote him easily without actually having to
> reply directly to him -- which I won't do.

I understand.

Best Regards,

Bobby

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 8:32:18 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 12:49 pm, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:

> Actually if you listened to the Funimation/Navarre recent investor audio
> conference call they listed Afro Samurai as bright spot and not Ouran.  I am
> not sure what they want the ADV/Geneon licenses for, but it is most likely
> not DVD sales.  I would bet they are planning to use them for ipod video or
> some other downloadable content.  From a DVD sales point of view ADV took
> most of that money.

Why, then, would they invest their entire AX-level advertising budget,
as Caitlin Glass and others said in Las Vegas, on Ouran High School
Host Club?

Now, for the investors, the play you are giving is the best one and
it's not even close. Non-television series aren't selling much at
all, and one does have to wonder about the future of series anime
being licensed at all (will we be going back to the OVA days real
soon??)...

I'm not sure what they want the Sojitz or Geneon stuff for either --
if the stuff sold worth a lick, chances are the two companies wouldn't
have already gone under. As far as your idea goes, I could see it,
except that the pay-for-download market isn't sufficient to hold
itself up.

Mike

David Johnston

Sep 9, 2008, 8:35:05 PM9/9/08

No it isn't as a horde of Narutards can testify.

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 8:40:35 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 1:16 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>   Points remain: ADV lives, anime lives, Funimation's strong, and
> Darky's still full of it . . .

You are so full of shit, you need to be slapped.

Here's the take-home points I got from this:

1) Anime is all but dead in North America, minus Funimation and a
couple of movie titles. That ADV, with all the bullshit they pulled
in the first six months of the year, is purported to have (depending
on your take of how much WalMart sales is theirs) 6-10% of the
industry should tell you all you need to know about the current state
of the industry.

Again, in your rush to prove me wrong, you forget one simple fact:
This is percentages -- but no one is saying percentages of what?

I submit the following further quote from AnimeNation's blog on the
subject:

"FUNimation was the only anime distributor with sales up over the same
period in 2007. While Viz held steady, unit sales by all of the other
anime producers were down, some precipitously."

(http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/09/08/funimation-claims-nearly-
one-third-of-american-anime-market/)

Yeah, real healthy industry there. For the percentage-to-percentage
increase, one would hope that an actual dollar increase would be much
more substantial than some of the other percentages would appear to
indicate.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 8:41:58 PM9/9/08
You honestly must not think too hard.

Let me put it this way: If people knew who I was, they wouldn't let
me out in public.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 8:48:34 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 2:22 pm, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:

> Mike, walk into any Best Buy and they have 1/3 of the shelf space of DVDs.
> In only fits that those are selling.  When those are sold ADV's share will
> drop.  Most are of things they no longer have the license for.  The market
> in the US is soft right now.  My car cost me about $50.00 a tank now 2 to 3
> times per week.  Last year it was $30.00 a tank.  That is multiple DVDs I
> can't buy.  My purchases have dropped dramatically.  I can't be the only
> person who is having this problem.

1/3 of the entire shelf space of your local Best Buy is anime DVDs???
I want to make sure I read you correctly.

Where are you living? Because it ain't out here where I do.

The Best Buys I've been to in and around where I've lived the last
couple of years are lucky to even have one section of one row of shelf-
space -- if it's not basically some smaller section of shelf-space
because it doesn't even hold enough sway to be in the main DVD shelf-
space in the first place!!

Fact is that ADV's share should be about nothing to begin with, since
they can't really afford to license anything, nor to finish any real
dubs at this point. (This is why I fart in the general direction of
anyone who wants to look at these numbers as anything positive (with
the _possible_ (and I'll even make that unlikely) exception of
Funimation.) for the anime industry.)

As for the remainder of your comments: Remember how I've been trying
to drill down these people's throats the concept of the end of
discretionary income in this economy?? You just gave a great example.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 8:56:19 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 1:02 pm, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:

> Until all of the dumped DVDs dry up ADV will appear to be an active
> component in the industry.  ADV wanted to get rid of as much on hand stock
> as possible and the stores were greedy and wanted to fill the shelves with
> low cost box sets.

... that, to all indications, because of ADV's financial problems
stemming back to their inability to even complete in-progress dubs
(Crunchyroll on line one -- Re: "Welcome to the NHK"), aren't selling
worth a lick. They aren't getting the money they need (and haven't
for quite some time!!) to even continue the menial amount of
operations they currently are trying to have.

I can understand how people like Antonio and Sea Wasp and a lot of
other people want to continue to grasp at straws -- but if this is
indicative of what's going on, I can't say it speaks well for the
industry at all.

I now expect Bandai-Namco to basically go import-only and dump R1
rather soon as well.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 9:24:22 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 2:38 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"

<seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
> First: Bobby, fix your quoting; it looks as though Dorkstar'/Starky's
> rantings are yours.
>
>         But thanks, it allows me to quote him easily without actually having to
> reply directly to him -- which I won't do.

Because you know I wipe the floor with your fucking ass.

> Bobby Clark wrote:
> > <darkstar7...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No.  I'm not surprised at _Funimation's_ comparative success.

>         You're bitter and resentful because The Anime Industry Should Be Dead
> By Now according to your own numbers, and Funimation's making plenty of
> money and sitting pretty, which pretty much torpedoes that idea.

I'm bitter and resentful because the only reason I'm continuing to
remain an anime fan is going away. The anime industry will be dead
real damn soon, as Funimation essentially has to continue to stretch
its resources toward a supermajority of a "market" thieves and thief
supporters like you have decimated beyond all semblance of repair!

And where does this indicate that Funimation is really making that
much money?? What it shows is that Funimation is the only real force
in the anime market. It shows little-to-nothing else, Sea Gnat. It's
up, probably because there's nothing else really selling, so now
Funimation, in the exact play I was trying to tell you about, has
decided to go after basically full domination (and an essential
monopoly) over the North American anime industry. With Navarre still
not that stable a company, I'm not willing to make the same
fantastical jumps you are just to satisfy your own ego and the like.

That would be fine, but, with at least marketing, packaging, and
distribution expenses of an additional 40 titles (many of which never
really should've been licensed over here!!) to worry about, over-
extension becomes a real issue. As the economy continues to free-
fall, even the income Funi has been getting might be going away.

> >> Here's the problem with your argument (And I'm still waiting for your
> >> lawsuit, bitch...):
>
>         You don't get it: No one's going to sue you. No one thinks you're
> IMPORTANT enough to sue.

I just want Farix to understand that I still disagree with his
previous argument on the subject.

> Hell, I don't think any of us know who you ARE, aside from Dorkstar/Starcade;

Actually, you do. You previously referenced as such.

(At least a collective "you" on that one... But you (whichever way to
be taken) have previously referenced my identity.)

> I sure as hell don't. Nor do any of us
> CARE. Occasionally you amuse us with your Chicken Little rants, but for
> the most part we just look at you like the classic crazy-eyed old man
> holding the "THE END IS NEAR" sign on the streetcorner. Everyone knows
> he's nuts (except him), and he has no importance of significance. He's
> just a strange, sad little man.

Well, everyone knows he's nuts until he's proven right. Of course, at
that point, there's really little more to talk about after that.

But the end of the anime industry is quite near -- it's about two
companies' collapse left, really. One wants nothing to do with the
industry, and the other has a parent company which it keeps afloat,
but for how much longer in this day and age?

Especially with gambles such as the Sojitz acquisition, the Geneon
acquisition, and releasing Ouran probably 9-12 months too late from
when they got the license.

> > If that's the case, the "whole" (whatever amount is 100% of the
> > market) can't be that much -- it certainly can't be as much as it has
> > been even in the first three years of the downturn.  I'd be shocked if
> > the total for the entire US DVD industry for the first six months of
> > 2008 was more than, say, $75 million, tops!!
>
>         What?

I'd be shocked if the total for the entire US DVD (anime) industry (I
figure you could figure out from the context, but I am figuring I'm
wrong here...) for the first six months isn't more than $75M, tops.

>         The entire US DVD industry?

Anime. Although I'd be shocked if the entire US DVD industry isn't
taking further hits.

>         Now, you MIGHT have meant the US *Anime* DVD industry, but as per usual
> you can't even be bothered to have any precision in your rantings. Even
> when you USE numbers, you show no awareness of what they MEAN -- as
> demonstrated by the fact that by your numbers, the entire industry
> should've been gone by now.

Here's the problem: IT *SHOULD* BE GONE BY NOW.

You're RIGHT. My God, for the first time since I've known of you, you
actually said something I agree with.

The numbers presented to the public indicate that the anime industry
is being held up, at best, by smoke and mirrors (and fraud is a very
plausible argument!!). Again:

The US DVD anime industry was worth $550M in 2004 -- by 2007, it was
down to $250M, a pre-inflation decrease of nearly 60%. Add in
inflation, and you've probably seen the market drop by a factor of
2/3.

By those numbers, and those alone, the DVD anime industry in the USA
should have been put out to pasture a year or two ago. That it hasn't
raises all kinds of questions that the fanbase refuses to ask and have
answered, because they're too busy robbing the companies blind and
hope that someone will clean up the mess after them (as they have the
last three or four years).

>         Now, if the first 6 months of 2008 saw $75 million, that's a $150
> million/year industry.

And add in 30% for WalMart, and you're still not up to $220 million.
That number is STILL a 12-15% drop from last year, and only really
accounts for centralization of the entire industry to a maximum of two
relevant companies.

>         That doesn't sound like "dead". I work for a company whose yearly
> revenues are around $10 million. So you just described something that's
> able to support 15 companies.

And how much are the expenses to support said company you work for?
You completely disregard scale in that argument (as usual, you
disregard scale in most of your arguments). If that argument made any
degree of sense, then the present industry should be able to support
the six meaningful companies it tried to do 12 months ago -- not the
three which exist now (and one of them is probably two steps toward
out the door).

>         Could it be bigger? Sure. But "dead" is not the term you use to
> describe such an industry.

Why not? If the expenses are too much for the market to choose to
support, "dead" is exactly the term you use -- just like the seizure
of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Dead, dead, dead.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 9:29:43 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 12:30 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Farix wrote:
> > AstroNerdBoy wrote:
>
> >> FUNimation totally rules, don't they?  Sure, they've had some flub
> >> ups, some of which weren't there fault (totally) but on the whole, you
> >> have to give it to Gen for developing a market strategy that actually
> >> works and doesn't include blaming the fans.  Yay, FUNimation!  ^_^
>
> > Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
> > trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
>
> No, he's displaying the two favorite symptoms of the Fanboy Geek:
>
> 1) Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots--Which company/movie/franchise will knock each
> other's block off?
> ("Just watch, Funi's going to finish off ADV, that'll show their crappy
> dubbing!")

Actually, I much rather prefer ADV's dubs to Funimation's. But I see
the argument you are trying to make.

ADV does need to be finished off, with the greatest of prejudice,
before the bitter old men who still think it's alive oull that one
last shenanigan to basically finish off the DVD market for what few
people still buy DVD's at all for the anime.

They've already effectively finished off singles.

> 2) Evil George Lucas/[insert other name-CEO], and his Castle of Doom
> ("So, what world domination plans is Fukanaga planning next, as he
> watches his ownership of anime grow?")

He really doesn't have that much *left* -- he has to be very careful
he doesn't overextend himself beyond what Navarre can contain. On top
of that, he really doesn't have that much left to get anyway of any
real size! I mean, to have "next plans" would probably be to either
absorb Bandai Entertainment's R1 catalog or make a play for Shonen
Jump!

> ...So, has he done a PetitionOnline thing yet, for the trifecta?

Online petitions are just _useless_.

> Derek Janssen (they won't let him into the Cons, you know, so he's a
> genius for website information!)

I do pretty well on that, yes.

Mike

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 9:30:44 PM9/9/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

(<ding!>
Nice going, Sea--You got him to yield the "Buzz-Headline Eelated
Red-Herring Non-Sequitir for Shock Value" touche'-point, as he always
does to keep the thread emergency-backup-stretched, this far in without
content!
<ding!> Next round: )

Derek Janssen (c'mon, let's see if you can get him to a Sarah Palin joke
in only *three* posts, this time!)
eja...@verizon.net

Derek Janssen

Sep 9, 2008, 9:33:45 PM9/9/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sep 9, 12:30 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>Farix wrote:

>>>Mikey seems rather surprised at Funimation's success. But he is still
>>>trying to sell that success as doom. --~~~~
>>
>>No, he's displaying the two favorite symptoms of the Fanboy Geek:
>>
>>1) Rock-Em Sock-Em Robots--Which company/movie/franchise will knock each
>>other's block off?
>>("Just watch, Funi's going to finish off ADV, that'll show their crappy
>>dubbing!")
>
> Actually, I much rather prefer ADV's dubs to Funimation's. But I see
> the argument you are trying to make.
>
> ADV does need to be finished off, with the greatest of prejudice,

No, I'm comparing you to fanboy geeks who wonder whether Iron Man or the
Dark Knight would win in a cage match. :)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2008, 9:42:00 PM9/9/08
On Sep 9, 6:30 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sep 9, 2:38 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >>        Could it be bigger? Sure. But "dead" is not the term you use to
> >>describe such an industry.
>
> > Why not?  If the expenses are too much for the market to choose to
> > support, "dead" is exactly the term you use -- just like the seizure
> > of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.  Dead, dead, dead.
>
> (<ding!>
> Nice going, Sea--You got him to yield the "Buzz-Headline Eelated
> Red-Herring Non-Sequitir for Shock Value" touche'-point, as he always
> does to keep the thread emergency-backup-stretched, this far in without
> content!
> <ding!> Next round: )

Sea Wasp is still being counted down, so it can't be saved by the bell
unless it's the last round.

And you fell right with it: You completely fell for the same problem
Sea Wasp did: You completely lost a sense of scale.

By Sea Wasp's argument, one should be able to hold up companies of any
realistic size by the same money. I mean, 15 of the companies that it
works for should be able to be held up (regardless of expense base) by
the same money that the anime industry has (completely disregarding
the expense scale which has already driven Dentsu from R1, driven
Bandai Visual USA from R1, driven ADV from R1 (with probably a slice
of malfeasance on top), and appears to be about ready to do the same
to Bandai-Namco completely).

In fact, Fannie-Freddie is a *PERFECT* counter-argument to Sea Gnat's
foolishness. Imagine the number of companies that could be held
afloat (and probably WERE held afloat) by that whole Ponzi scheme!

Now figure in the number of those you can add when you choose to
ignore all expense bases!

Mike

> Derek Janssen (c'mon, let's see if you can get him to a Sarah Palin joke
> in only *three* posts, this time!)

Sarah Palin is a joke.

Mike

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 10, 2008, 9:14:18 AM9/10/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Sep 9, 2:38 pm, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
>> <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>> >
>>> Could it be bigger? Sure. But "dead" is not the term you use to
>>> describe such an industry.
>>

>> Why not? If the expenses are too much for the market to choose to
>> support, "dead" is exactly the term you use -- just like the seizure
>> of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Dead, dead, dead.
>
> (<ding!>
> Nice going, Sea--You got him to yield the "Buzz-Headline Eelated
> Red-Herring Non-Sequitir for Shock Value" touche'-point, as he always
> does to keep the thread emergency-backup-stretched, this far in without
> content!
> <ding!> Next round: )

Thanks, but hey, you also failed to give me credit for the "You ignore
me because you're SCARED of me" bit, which had me laughing out loud
("Because you know I wipe the floor with your fucking ass.").

(Note to Darky: No, you don't, no, you can't, and even if you could,
you won't, because you like to talk like you're Mr. Badass, but you
aren't; you're a former stalker, one of the most pathetic things on the
planet, and you'd still BE pathetic if you were nine feet tall and built
like Arnold Schwarzenegger)

Oh, and the anime industry is alive and well, and taunting you,
TAUNTING YOU! *SHAKES ETHAN'S FIST*

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 10, 2008, 9:16:19 AM9/10/08

That's unfair to the fanboy geeks. Most of them have much more cogent
and well-reasoned arguments than Starky.

Rob Kelk

Sep 10, 2008, 9:31:36 AM9/10/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:14:18 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks, but hey, you also failed to give me credit for the "You ignore
>me because you're SCARED of me" bit, which had me laughing out loud
>("Because you know I wipe the floor with your fucking ass.").

What, did he really?

I'm man enough to keep ignoring him; is anyone else?

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"Aggresive killfiling. I highly recommend it. It isn't personal;
there's just a limited number of hours in the day."
- Russ Allbery (<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>), in message
<yl66l68...@windlord.stanford.edu>

Captain Nerd

Sep 10, 2008, 10:28:06 AM9/10/08
In article <48c7cbf6...@news.individual.net>,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:14:18 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Thanks, but hey, you also failed to give me credit for the "You ignore
> >me because you're SCARED of me" bit, which had me laughing out loud
> >("Because you know I wipe the floor with your fucking ass.").
>
> What, did he really?
>
> I'm man enough to keep ignoring him; is anyone else?
>
> <snip>

Ignore the Dorkster? Piece of cake.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Aya the Vampire Slayer

Sep 10, 2008, 2:27:39 PM9/10/08
darkst...@gmail.com wa:

>Let me put it this way: If people knew who I was, they wouldn't let
>me out in public.

Sorry, guys, I just had to quote this one. This has got to be the most
hilarious thing I've read all day (and I've actually read few good ones
already!). You sound like a grade schooler, Mikey! Thanks for the lulz.

--
"Care must be exorcised when handring Opiticar System as it is apts to
be sticked by dusts and hand-fat." --Japanese Translators

"Keep your fingers off the lens." --Elton Byington, English Translator

sanjian

Sep 10, 2008, 3:02:48 PM9/10/08
Aya the Vampire Slayer wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wa:
>> Let me put it this way: If people knew who I was, they wouldn't let
>> me out in public.
>
> Sorry, guys, I just had to quote this one. This has got to be the most
> hilarious thing I've read all day (and I've actually read few good
> ones already!). You sound like a grade schooler, Mikey! Thanks for
> the lulz.

Taking a guess, the kid is probably a Marilyn Manson fan.

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 3:05:35 PM9/10/08
No, the anime industry is not alive and well -- and you (and much of
it) are an abject fool for believing otherwise.

As for the rest of your rant, believe me, be glad we never meet. On
top of that, if I am truly as much a troll as you believe I am, bitch,
there are only two ways to get rid of a USENET troll (this I learned
after reading up on some of that type a few months back and the damage
they desire to (and actually DO) cause:

1) Jail the troll.
or
2) Kill the troll. As in physically deceased.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 3:06:38 PM9/10/08
On Sep 10, 11:27 am, Aya the Vampire Slayer
<ry...@gatech.rmv.this.part.edu> wrote:
> darkstar7...@gmail.com wa:

> >Let me put it this way:  If people knew who I was, they wouldn't let
> >me out in public.
>
> Sorry, guys, I just had to quote this one. This has got to be the most
> hilarious thing I've read all day (and I've actually read few good ones
> already!). You sound like a grade schooler, Mikey! Thanks for the lulz.

Fine. But facts are facts.

I'm the kind of person they have the white cars with the DHS license
plates to keep an eye on.

Mike (And if they aren't, they should...)

Derek Janssen

Sep 10, 2008, 3:16:53 PM9/10/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

3) High school approach: Giggle at the troll, pants him, thwack him
with wet towels in the locker room, and then walk off, laughing,
ignoring him, and discussing the cool anime that he doesn't watch.

Derek Janssen (works for me)
ejanss1!@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Sep 10, 2008, 5:32:08 PM9/10/08
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:16:53 GMT, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

<snip>

>ignoring him,

<snip>

Sounds good. When are you going to start?

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 10, 2008, 5:53:13 PM9/10/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:16:53 GMT, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> ignoring him,
>
> <snip>
>
> Sounds good. When are you going to start?

When it becomes completely boring to watch him jump and yap like a
trained dog every time we post.

The Wanderer

Sep 10, 2008, 5:48:54 PM9/10/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:14:18 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Thanks, but hey, you also failed to give me credit for the "You
>> ignore me because you're SCARED of me" bit, which had me laughing
>> out loud ("Because you know I wipe the floor with your fucking
>> ass.").
>
> What, did he really?
>
> I'm man enough to keep ignoring him; is anyone else?

He became the fourth person in my killfile about a month ago, and I
haven't regretted it yet. He's not the source of stress - or, indeed,
even remotely the same degree of idiot - the other two recent additions
are, but it's still quite a bit more peaceful without seeing him
directly.

Derek Janssen

Sep 10, 2008, 7:16:47 PM9/10/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:

> Rob Kelk wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 19:16:53 GMT, Derek Janssen
>> <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> ignoring him,
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Sounds good. When are you going to start?
>
> When it becomes completely boring to watch him jump and yap like a
> trained dog every time we post.

Well, it already is--
We're trying to build down the percentage of posters who think Darky is
holding actual discussions, and build up those who've either passive or
*actively* wiped him off the group map months ago.

Obviously I don't engage in any fantasy that Darky is holding a
"discussion", I just have occasional urges to burst the personal Jason
Statham fantasy world he's created for himself when it gets too silly
("You're gonna have to take me down with a chainsaw, lil' man!"), and
pour cold water down his pants that he's Just Another Fanboy Geek on the
Internet, who *sounds* like Just Another Angry Fanboy Geek On the Internet.
Which makes us feel better about how the rest of us don't.

And which might explains why he always wipes out my quotes when he tries
to keep the thread going...
CtToI, Gaza used to do the same thing, back when we made "Wheelchair"
and "Roommate who owns the apartment" jokes.

Derek Janssen (who considers a good quote-wipe like the Usenet
equivalent of "...Shut up, SHUT UP!!" ^_^ )
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 7:56:39 PM9/10/08
High school approach is what basically helped Klebold and Harris
along...

Mike (As it did for the person at my high school who kept being pushed
and pushed til he sexually assaulted one of the cheerleaders in the
girls' bathroom to get expelled.)

(... and no, that wasn't me. It was my best friend in high school,
though.)

Derek Janssen

Sep 10, 2008, 8:34:28 PM9/10/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> High school approach is what basically helped Klebold and Harris
> along...

(See, told ya!--
Quote-wipe, *and* "shock" non-sequitir, in one...Am I good, or what?) @_@

Derek Janssen (yeah, who's da smugmaster?)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2008, 9:27:49 PM9/10/08
And DOWN GOES DEREK again...

While he fumbles around, an explanation for the rest of you:

One of the things which drove Klebold and Harris to shoot up their
school was the exact "high school approach" he espouses to. (It was
also one of the things which literally drove my friend criminally
insane...).

If Columbine had happened while I was in school, they'd have removed
me from the campus.

Mike

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 10, 2008, 11:21:19 PM9/10/08

O_O

So *that* is what happened to Ethan?! What did you do to him that
you have his fist??!!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

ender

Sep 11, 2008, 5:31:26 AM9/11/08
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:38:22 -0500, Bobby Clark wrote:

> When I hit reply on some it automatically gives those marks. Replying to
> your post put them in. For some reason it is not giving those for every
> reply automatically. I am sorry for any confusion it is causing. Thank you
> for pointing it out. I will try to resolve this before posting more.

IIRC, this is an OE bug when the message you're replying to uses a certain
charset.

--
< ender ><><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 11, 2008, 8:13:21 AM9/11/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> High school approach is what basically helped Klebold and Harris
>> along...
>
> (See, told ya!--
> Quote-wipe, *and* "shock" non-sequitir, in one...Am I good, or what?) @_@

Oh, that's a good one, Derek. Note he was quote-wiping me recently,
too. Truth hurts, I guess, especially when the truth is that he's a sad,
strange little man.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 11, 2008, 8:14:38 AM9/11/08

The fist is symbolic, SYMBOLIC! *SHAKES METAPHOR*

AstroNerdBoy

Sep 11, 2008, 1:33:57 PM9/11/08
On Sep 9, 1:49 pm, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:

> Actually if you listened to the Funimation/Navarre recent investor audio
> conference call they listed Afro Samurai as bright spot and not Ouran.  I am
> not sure what they want the ADV/Geneon licenses for, but it is most likely
> not DVD sales.  I would bet they are planning to use them for ipod video or
> some other downloadable content.  From a DVD sales point of view ADV took
> most of that money.
>
> Bobby

I think they are also trying to shore up the FUNimation Channel with
content. After all, why spend money on having a channel if you don't
have content to draw in advertisers and get your channel into more
homes?

-ANB

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime & Manga Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 11, 2008, 3:22:37 PM9/11/08
On Sep 11, 10:33 am, AstroNerdBoy <astronerd...@astronerdboy.com>
wrote:

> I think they are also trying to shore up the FUNimation Channel with
> content.  After all, why spend money on having a channel if you don't
> have content to draw in advertisers and get your channel into more
> homes?

That plan was already an epic fail once, with ADV Films. Funimation
will go under once discretionary income completely dries up for the
populace, but they'll go under all the faster if they duplicate this
failed strategy.

Best move: Dump the channel entirely. It is being demonstrated time
and time again that anime, as a block or a channel, does not work in a
society where unlimited free anime exists all over the Internet.

Mike

sanjian

Sep 11, 2008, 3:25:48 PM9/11/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>> High school approach is what basically helped Klebold and Harris
>> along...
>
> (See, told ya!--
> Quote-wipe, *and* "shock" non-sequitir, in one...Am I good, or what?)
> @_@

Quote-wipe, eh? Didn't know there was a term for it.

David Johnston

Sep 11, 2008, 3:26:59 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:22:37 -0700 (PDT), darkst...@gmail.com
wrote:

YTV's anime block seems to be doing just fine.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 11, 2008, 4:15:42 PM9/11/08
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 19:26:59 GMT, David Johnston <da...@block.net>
wrote:

Careful, you'll ruin Darky's delusions!

--
- ReFlex 76

bobbie sellers

Sep 11, 2008, 5:10:23 PM9/11/08
I was watching IATV and the previous Asian TV channel
for precisely those though I enjoyed a few live action or
documentary shows that aired on these channels as well.
This while I was renting newer/less popular stuff locally.
So I think your argument has holes big enough to toss
at least a 27" TV through.

later
Bobbie aka bliss (at california dot com)

--
bobbie sellers - a retired nurse in San Francisco

Ningen banji Human beings do
Samazama no Every single kind
Baka a suru Of stupid thing
--- 117th edition of Haifu Yanagidaru published in 1832

Derek Janssen

Sep 11, 2008, 5:42:28 PM9/11/08
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor) wrote:
> Derek Janssen wrote:
>
>> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> High school approach is what basically helped Klebold and Harris
>>> along...
>>

>> (See, told ya, folks!--

>> Quote-wipe, *and* "shock" non-sequitir, in one...Am I good, or what?)
>> @_@
>
> Oh, that's a good one, Derek. Note he was quote-wiping me recently,
> too. Truth hurts, I guess, especially when the truth is that he's a sad,
> strange little man.

(And bonus points for the "I'm dangerous!" serial-killer fantasy, for
the Triple Desperation Trifecta--
But by this point, we're just assuming it as a given for all his posts.)

Either way, Darky's already reduced to the wounded-fantasy Antonio
Gonzalez fantasy-world stage of pretending his hecklers were actually
*playing along*, and WEREN'T SMART ENOUGH to submit their answers for
Name That Cheap-Gag Red-Herring:
Ie., "Mm, thanks for the yummy dessert...But ha ha, you were too stupid
to use a plate, and had to throw it--Don't you know how they serve pie?" :)

sanjian wrote:

> Quote-wipe, eh? Didn't know there was a term for it.

I've heard there actually IS a hallowed old Internet slang term for the
last stage:
Ie., of not hanging around the group anymore, wandering elsewhere and
just letting GoogleSearch do all the work monitoring the group for any
shtick-cue buzzwords...And then popping in out the blue for revival
vaudeville act anytime Alert points out his name, "ADV" or "Funimation"
appearing in a post--
But darn if I can remember...Anyone got the pertinent Wiki link, so we
can spot it when it happens?

Derek Janssen (notice the lack of "if")
eja...@verizon.net

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Sep 11, 2008, 6:34:43 PM9/11/08

Kibozing was the old term.

Derek Janssen

Sep 11, 2008, 6:56:33 PM9/11/08

Ah yes, of course, thanks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Parry

Derek Janssen (senior moment)
eja...@verizon.net

Captain Nerd

Sep 11, 2008, 8:21:47 PM9/11/08
In article <Bmhyk.946$Af3.506@trnddc06>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

So, we're all Kibozos on this bus?

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!
Operation: Nerdwatch http://www.nerdwatch.com
Only email with "TO_CAP" somewhere in the subject has a chance of being read

sanjian

Sep 12, 2008, 7:14:31 AM9/12/08
Derek Janssen wrote:

>> Quote-wipe, eh? Didn't know there was a term for it.
>
> I've heard there actually IS a hallowed old Internet slang term for
> the last stage:
> Ie., of not hanging around the group anymore, wandering elsewhere and
> just letting GoogleSearch do all the work monitoring the group for any
> shtick-cue buzzwords...And then popping in out the blue for revival
> vaudeville act anytime Alert points out his name, "ADV" or
> "Funimation" appearing in a post--

Almost sounds like an aging rock star.