What's the last anime you watched?

Arnold Kim

Sep 15, 2009, 9:46:10 PM9/15/09
(trying to pick things up in the ng again...)

What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not bad;
I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as jarring
as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the military aspects
were a bit more grounded.

Arnold Kim

Dave Baranyi

Sep 15, 2009, 9:52:14 PM9/15/09

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

A minute and a half ago I finished watching episode 10 of "Bakemonogatari".

Of course, since I usually watch a dozen or more episodes of anime a week,
"the last anime I watched" usually means what I watched on any given
evening.

(That's when I am not tied up with serious family business, as I have been
for the past few weeks.)

Dave Baranyi

(Still busy with Real Life, but glad to be able to forget about it once in a
while with some anime.)

Aje.RavenStar

Sep 15, 2009, 9:57:00 PM9/15/09

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Last week I finished Mars Daybreak (pretty good, dunno if I'll keep it
though). Yesterday I completed the first disk of KamiChu! with episode 4
(the kinda boring alien visitor episode, the one flop in what otherwise has
been a great series in the episodes I've seen before I got this box set).
Just received the Five Star Stories disk from Netflix, though, so gonna take
a break from KamiChu.

Relic

Sep 15, 2009, 9:59:42 PM9/15/09

That would be Shin Mazinger ep. 23, a couple of days ago. Great
old-school fun.

Glenn Shaw

Sep 15, 2009, 10:35:42 PM9/15/09
"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in

> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Watched Mamoru Oshii's "The Sky Crawlers" on Blu-ray to test my recently-
acquired 23" widescreen PC monitor. The movie was quite slow in parts, but
overall, not a bad film.

--
Glenn Shaw � Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, swap the net and cast

Invid Fan

Sep 15, 2009, 10:53:28 PM9/15/09
In article <4ab0435f$0$5007$607e...@cv.net>, Arnold Kim
<arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

I rented the first disk of Romeo x Juliet, and to my surprise liked it.
Probably the fact they dubbed it from Japanese into 'Shakespeare'
helped, using the older words correctly and going back to the source
when needed instead of translating Japanese translations of English
back into English. You could just tell the cast and crew on both sides
of the ocean were having a blast :)

I also plopped in my tape of Venus Wars for the first time in ages to
see if it was the show a poster was thinking of. Man, there's a movie
that just didn't click for whatever reason. True, the manga wasn't a
classic, but the adaptation just... sits there.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Galen

Sep 15, 2009, 10:54:00 PM9/15/09
.. Shipper Dan is the name:
watching 34 shows every day,
and every one is the same.
Look at those bimbos, wiggling their - ears,
just like they've done for the last 15 years.
Oh I capture them all, and I set them aside,
'cause I'm working as an anime guide.

-Galen
working on a parody of a Weird Al song.

Arnold Kim

Sep 16, 2009, 12:04:07 AM9/16/09

"Invid Fan" <in...@loclanet.com> wrote in message

> In article <4ab0435f$0$5007$607e...@cv.net>, Arnold Kim
> <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>> series,
>> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything
>> good?
>>
> I rented the first disk of Romeo x Juliet, and to my surprise liked it.
> Probably the fact they dubbed it from Japanese into 'Shakespeare'
> helped, using the older words correctly and going back to the source
> when needed instead of translating Japanese translations of English
> back into English. You could just tell the cast and crew on both sides
> of the ocean were having a blast :)

VERY good show, though it plays fast and loose with the original material
plot-wise. I'm halfway through it myself. And "You Raise Me Up" is a
beautiful opening theme.

Only thing is I wish they applied the Shakespeare speak more consistently.
Which must be impossible to do while matching lip flaps, so I applaud the
effort anyway.

Arnold Kim

Arnold Kim

Sep 16, 2009, 12:05:49 AM9/16/09

"Dave Baranyi" <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote in message

> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
>> Anything good?
>>
>> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not
>> bad; I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as
>> jarring as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the
>> military aspects were a bit more grounded.
>>
>> Arnold Kim
>>

> A minute and a half ago I finished watching episode 10 of
> "Bakemonogatari".
>
> Of course, since I usually watch a dozen or more episodes of anime a week,
> "the last anime I watched" usually means what I watched on any given
> evening.

Pretty much the same hee, as I tend to watch around 10episodes a week here,
15- if I really have nothing to do...

Arnold Kim

Brian Christiansen

Sep 16, 2009, 12:49:42 AM9/16/09
Arnold Kim wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

I know that Crunchyroll is operated by a bunch of despicable villains,
but I am quite enjoying Aoihana, Charger Girl Juden Chan, and Kanamemo
when the new episodes come out. I really don't remember which one was
"last."

Brian Christiansen

Blade

Sep 16, 2009, 12:51:37 AM9/16/09

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

A few episodes of DBZ, specifically the Majin Buu arc. Girlfriend and I are
working through the series as our brainless entertainment since we polished
off Sailor Moon, surprisingly more at her interest than mine. :) DB is DB,
and everyone has their own opinions on it, I'm sure. I liked the Ocean
Kaioushin's voice better, tho.

Otherwise I've been watching through Big O, which I picked up for a lark at
one of the Right Stuf sales (mostly for Dorothy); the first two episodes
were good, then a few that were not so great (Angel sucks), and the last one
was very meh (the ghost episode), and there hasn't been enough Dorothy, so
I've let it lie for a bit.

Also making a second try to get through Avenger, which I bought new because
the trailer for it showed me it has Creepy Buddhist Bondage Robot Murder
Children. It's from the creators of Noir and is even more pretentious, a
feat I would not have imagined could be so effortlessly accomplished as it
was. It's not terrible, but very hard to take seriously despite it clearly
wanting you to, as is liable to be the case when the primary antagonist is a
guy dressed in ridiculous skull-themed armour standing in a tower on Mars
reading out a collected book of fortune cookie sayings every episode. Also,
while fairly well-drawn and with a nice palette, it is a fan of the
Violinist Of Hameln Official Budget-Saving Technique of having people move
as little as possible, which is kind of funny in an action show. However, it
has Creepy Buddhist Bondage Robot Murder Children, which counts for a lot
with me.

Also recently, showed some more people Strange Dawn, which since it is the
best anime ever made with the possible exception of Utena, I never tire of.

I guess that was more than one, but eh, I didn't just want to say DBZ. ;p

-
Blade

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 16, 2009, 12:55:58 AM9/16/09
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 14:51:37 +1000, "Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Along those lines, having asked about Bleach and Naruto, I
remembered the *other* long-running shonen fighting/action series
currently running you could be asked about: One Piece!

--

- ReFlex76

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 16, 2009, 2:00:17 AM9/16/09
"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

Same as Dave here, I'm watching some 15-20 episodes a week. Just finished
Aoi Hana last night (liked it) and watched FMA: Brotherhood 23 (since they
started showing new stuff I really really like it) and Shangri-La 22 (still
a waste of time, but the animation was top notch in this episode).

--
Gio

http://www.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

dbbrandell

Sep 16, 2009, 2:25:35 AM9/16/09
Arnold Kim wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

Moribito, episode 13. Very good ep; action picked up a bit. One
thought: the change in Balsa's face when she met her opponent and
realized she wasn't going to get an easy way out was a really nice bit
of drawing. ( And the opponent thought so too, he said something like
'There's the enemy I want to fight!' )

Otherwise, watched Genshiken season 2 disk 1; interesting example of
small group dynamics, polite but very real anger between two people with
other group members under lots of strain, and then some careful 'input'
from others getting people back on track.

DBB

Shawn Merrow

Sep 16, 2009, 3:10:12 AM9/16/09

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Watched Lost Universe #15 while having dinner.

--
Shawn Merrow

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 16, 2009, 4:55:00 AM9/16/09
Arnold Kim <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Finished the "Kimagure Orange Road" OVA yesterday. Very similar to the
TV series. A good show all in all, but I still like "Maison Ikkoku" and
"Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl" better.

Also watched episode 19 of "Martian Successor Nadesico". I like how the
show manages to be hilarious even when it gets serious. I totally hate
it when shows jump from being funny to being dead-serious ("Shuffle!"
for instance). And of course Ruri-chan is pure win and awesome.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Pat Kiewicz

Sep 16, 2009, 6:18:39 AM9/16/09
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers said:

>Arnold Kim <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
>> Anything good?
>
>Finished the "Kimagure Orange Road" OVA yesterday. Very similar to the
>TV series. A good show all in all, but I still like "Maison Ikkoku" and
>"Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl" better.
>
>Also watched episode 19 of "Martian Successor Nadesico". I like how the
>show manages to be hilarious even when it gets serious. I totally hate
>it when shows jump from being funny to being dead-serious ("Shuffle!"
>for instance). And of course Ruri-chan is pure win and awesome.

Coincidence: I watched eps. 19 & 20 of Nadesico yesterday!

Yurika was... strangely and unexpectedly brilliant in ep. 20.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Dave Watson

Sep 16, 2009, 7:28:54 AM9/16/09

Recently finished Last Exile, which I liked and can now return to my friend
(but foist, get some caps of Lady Mad-thane for Being Upfront; the skin
service isn't that emphatic in the series, though). The bonus disc in the
collectors' box of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is in there now. What
next? Good question. Will probably have to buy one of those gamers'
20-sided dice to make up my mind. I've got Witchblade as my wallpaper to
remind me to Watch It Now That You've Bought It, Man, so maybe that.

Watson.

sanjian

Sep 16, 2009, 9:02:08 AM9/16/09
Arnold Kim wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Aoi Hana 10. I'm rather enjoying it.

Rob Kelk

Sep 16, 2009, 9:15:16 AM9/16/09
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:28:54 -0400, Dave Watson
<dwbeing...@fuspamma.gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 21:46:10 -0400, Arnold Kim wrote:
>
>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
>> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?
>>
>> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not bad;
>> I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as jarring
>> as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the military aspects
>> were a bit more grounded.
>>
>> Arnold Kim
>
>Recently finished Last Exile, which I liked and can now return to my friend
>(but foist, get some caps of Lady Mad-thane for Being Upfront; the skin
>service isn't that emphatic in the series, though). The bonus disc in the
>collectors' box of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is in there now. What
>next? Good question. Will probably have to buy one of those gamers'
>20-sided dice to make up my mind.

I've got plenty I'm not using; remind me the next time we want to get
together.

> I've got Witchblade as my wallpaper to
>remind me to Watch It Now That You've Bought It, Man, so maybe that.

I just finished watching... (er... do I have to say it? Oh, all
right...) Steel Angel Kurumi 2. In my defence, I was tired, and kept
going past the end of the good episodes in the Steel Angel Kurumi box
set.

No idea what's next. Maybe Kodocha (or maybe not)...
--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Bobby Clark

Sep 16, 2009, 10:23:56 AM9/16/09

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of Code E. It was good so far.

Bobby

> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not bad;

The Second Raid is one of the better FMP series. I liked FMP, but loved SR.

Bobby

Brian Henderson

Sep 16, 2009, 12:29:07 PM9/16/09

Yesterday I sat down and watched Cosmo Police Justy, a bad 80s OVA, just
because I happened to have it sitting around. I'm really not watching
much anime right now, there isn't anything especially good out at the
moment. Hopefully that will change in the new season.

Nick

Sep 16, 2009, 12:35:26 PM9/16/09

Just finished up DVD 2 of 'Seven of Seven' a few days ago; I've had the
series for a while, but hadn't gotten around to starting it until recently.
I'm enjoying it: it's certainly a change of pace from 'Claymore', 'Blade of
the Immortal', 'Berserk', and some of the other series I've been watching or
reading lately.

I dug out the manga version to reread after I finish watching the anime;
it's been a while since I read that, and the anime does seem a bit different
from the way I remember the manga.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Nick's First Law of Computer Virus Complaints:

Just because your computer is acting strangely or one of your programs
doesn't work right, this does NOT mean that your computer has a virus.

Inu-Yasha

Sep 16, 2009, 5:14:30 PM9/16/09
Canaan ep 9.

Inu-Yasha
Feh!! ^_^

Bobby Clark

Sep 16, 2009, 6:19:16 PM9/16/09

"Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
>> Anything good?
>>
>> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not
>> bad; I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not
>> as jarring as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the
>> military aspects were a bit more grounded.
>
> Same as Dave here, I'm watching some 15-20 episodes a week. Just finished
> Aoi Hana last night (liked it) and watched FMA: Brotherhood 23 (since they
> started showing new stuff I really really like it) and Shangri-La 22
> (still
> a waste of time, but the animation was top notch in this episode).

I finished Shangri-La 23 over the weekend. Out of curiosity why do you say
it is a waste of time?

Bobby

Dave Watson

Sep 16, 2009, 7:28:34 PM9/16/09
On Sep 16, 9:15 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:28:54 -0400, Dave Watson
> >Recently finished Last Exile, which I liked and can now return to my friend
> >(but foist, get some caps of Lady Mad-thane for Being Upfront; the skin
> >service isn't that emphatic in the series, though).  The bonus disc in the
> >collectors' box of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is in there now.  What
> >next?  Good question.  Will probably have to buy one of those gamers'
> >20-sided dice to make up my mind.
>
> I've got plenty I'm not using; remind me the next time we want to get
> together.

Thanks, but I wasn't entirely serious. I do have a lot of DVDs to get
through, but the time I'd spend going, "OK, 17--Starship Operators,
18--Yumeria," etc., is time I could be spending watching another
episode. The random exercise I'll use is closing my eyes and putting
my finger down in an open box. Whatever title I touch, marathon that
series next.

> >  I've got Witchblade as my wallpaper to
> >remind me to Watch It Now That You've Bought It, Man, so maybe that.
>
> I just finished watching... (er... do I have to say it?  Oh, all
> right...) Steel Angel Kurumi 2. In my defence, I was tired, and kept
> going past the end of the good episodes in the Steel Angel Kurumi box
> set.
>
> No idea what's next. Maybe Kodocha (or maybe not)...

I have the digisubs of Kurumi Zero. I have to remember to get those
to you sometime.

Watson
NP: Thomas Dolby, _The Golden Age of Wireless_ remastered edition.
One of the best (and most neglected) albums of the 80's.

Jack Bohn

Sep 16, 2009, 8:20:00 PM9/16/09
Dave Baranyi wrote:

>A minute and a half ago I finished watching episode 10 of "Bakemonogatari".
>
>Of course, since I usually watch a dozen or more episodes of anime a week,
>"the last anime I watched" usually means what I watched on any given
>evening.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I get half an hour or an
hour of TV a night, and not every night. I feel I've mentioned
Zeta Gundam over such a long time period that folks might think
I'm obsessed with it. Nope, just slowly working my way through
it. At 45/50 as of Tuesday. Hey! with any luck I may finish it
between the end of 00 and that short kaiju feature next
ani-monday.

--
-Jack

Rob Kelk

Sep 16, 2009, 8:25:01 PM9/16/09
On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:28:34 -0700 (PDT), Dave Watson
<dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Sep 16, 9:15=A0am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:28:54 -0400, Dave Watson

>> >Recently finished Last Exile, which I liked and can now return to my fri=

>end
>> >(but foist, get some caps of Lady Mad-thane for Being Upfront; the skin

>> >service isn't that emphatic in the series, though). =A0The bonus disc in=
> the
>> >collectors' box of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is in there now. =A0W=
>hat
>> >next? =A0Good question. =A0Will probably have to buy one of those gamers=

>'
>> >20-sided dice to make up my mind.
>>
>> I've got plenty I'm not using; remind me the next time we want to get
>> together.
>
>Thanks, but I wasn't entirely serious. I do have a lot of DVDs to get
>through, but the time I'd spend going, "OK, 17--Starship Operators,
>18--Yumeria," etc., is time I could be spending watching another
>episode. The random exercise I'll use is closing my eyes and putting
>my finger down in an open box. Whatever title I touch, marathon that
>series next.

That method might work for me, too. (Although, since VanDread is sitting
on top of everything else, it'd be pretty obvious what's next...)

>> > =A0I've got Witchblade as my wallpaper to

>> >remind me to Watch It Now That You've Bought It, Man, so maybe that.
>>

>> I just finished watching... (er... do I have to say it? =A0Oh, all

>> right...) Steel Angel Kurumi 2. In my defence, I was tired, and kept
>> going past the end of the good episodes in the Steel Angel Kurumi box
>> set.
>>
>> No idea what's next. Maybe Kodocha (or maybe not)...
>
>I have the digisubs of Kurumi Zero. I have to remember to get those
>to you sometime.

Thanx. Speaking of digisubs, I just finished pulling back Macross 7;
maybe that'll be my next series.

>Watson
>NP: Thomas Dolby, _The Golden Age of Wireless_ remastered edition.
>One of the best (and most neglected) albums of the 80's.

Oooohhh...

Dave Baranyi

Sep 16, 2009, 9:12:37 PM9/16/09

"Relic" <reli...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

"Kouji wa Otoko da!"

(It's only too bad we didn't get a little more Sayako skin - Go Nagai would
have done it that way in the old days... <g>)

Dave Baranyi

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 17, 2009, 1:59:24 AM9/17/09
"Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE4_airmail.net> wrote:

> "Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>
>>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>>
>>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>>> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
>>> Anything good?
>>>
>>> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic.
>>> Not bad; I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot"
>>> mix, not as jarring as you think it would be, though I sometimes
>>> wish that the military aspects were a bit more grounded.
>>
>> Same as Dave here, I'm watching some 15-20 episodes a week. Just
>> finished Aoi Hana last night (liked it) and watched FMA: Brotherhood
>> 23 (since they started showing new stuff I really really like it) and
>> Shangri-La 22 (still
>> a waste of time, but the animation was top notch in this episode).
>
> I finished Shangri-La 23 over the weekend. Out of curiosity why do
> you say it is a waste of time?

Obviously I don't like it very much, but since I have something like a 7
episode rule (if I don't drop it after seven I'll watch it to the end)
I'll finish it.

Okay, now the reasons why:

- The story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The whole carbon rating
thing, the monetary system behind it, it's far too iffy to work, even in
this context.

- I absolutely dislike all the characters. Medusa destroying the world
was a good idea, too bad it didn't happen (up until 22).

- The Prison Break episode

Too bad the series does look very good.

Bobby Clark

Sep 17, 2009, 11:22:45 AM9/17/09

"Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I suspend disbelief well when needed, so I don't care as much about how the
details tie together. It helps when the anime has good visual elements.

> - I absolutely dislike all the characters.

I like Kuniko, but it may be her look as much as anything. Again Ranges
influence. She is much more intense in episode 23. I like Karin and I love
the look of Mikuni. I think she is the vision of an older Japan. I can't
wait to watch 24 tonight.

> Medusa destroying the world
> was a good idea, too bad it didn't happen (up until 22).
>
> - The Prison Break episode

It was not the best, but the "give them what they want" like fit her
character to a T. The end result was also necessary for Kuniko to develop.

> Too bad the series does look very good.

I think that is due to Range Murata's efforts on the characters, look and
feel.

Bobby

chr...@balder.sabir.com

Sep 17, 2009, 12:41:46 PM9/17/09
On 2009-09-16, Arnold Kim <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?
>
> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not bad;
> I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as jarring
> as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the military aspects
> were a bit more grounded.

I finished re-watching Gunsliger Girl, in preparation for
watching the second season DVDs that just arrived. Definitely
good, but to tie it in to another thread, it's amazing how poorly
the phrase "young-girl cyborg assassin anime" describes what to
expect from it!

It's a strong character driven non-action show with a great
emotionally affecting last episode, which causes me to tear up
without being particularly sad. Great attention to details; I
watched it dubbed this time and I was impressed with how well
everything fit.

Chris

David Johnston

Sep 17, 2009, 12:55:38 PM9/17/09
<arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

>(trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
>What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
>just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

I watched the first half of the Silver-White Witch episode of
Detective Conan but that was a fansub. As usual with Conan it's more
about the puzzle than the crime so the stories about total idiots
doing something really unimportant, and the challenge is figuring out
what clever trick the idiots are using, which will of course reveal
which idiots are doing it.

Robert Sneddon

Sep 17, 2009, 1:19:51 PM9/17/09
In message <slrnhb4pma...@balder.sabir.com>,
chr...@balder.sabir.com writes

>I finished re-watching Gunsliger Girl, in preparation for
>watching the second season DVDs that just arrived.

Word of warning -- the second season of Gunslinger Girl is not like the
first season. The animation quality is dire (in comparison to season 1,
anyway).

I managed to choke my way through the first episode of season 2 and
then bailed. I was severely disappointed by it.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Dave Bieksza

Sep 17, 2009, 4:27:43 PM9/17/09
<arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

>What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
>just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?

This month's rentals from Anime World of Chantilly, VA (last disk
completed this morning):

Air Gear (final two vols.)

True Tears (all)

Hayate the Combat Butler (vol. 1)

Ah My Buddha (vol. 4)

Of these the most memorable was Hayate -- I wouldn't have predicted
that such a goofy show could stay as funny as it did through seven
episodes.

And when I got back from returning them I watched the last disk of a
recent purchase, Outlaw Star (which replaced a heap of tapes).
------------------------

David S. Bieksza
bie...@noUCEerols.com.invalid

Replies to the group are preferable to an e-mail
message -- my spam filter list is so long I may
not see a direct reply.

Wasabi

Sep 17, 2009, 5:31:29 PM9/17/09
"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Just caught up with the final (for now?) eps of Haruhi2 in which we see
what really happened during the making of the infamous Mikuru film.

[spoilers for ep13 & 14 (aka 23 & 24) .......]

I was surprised at how Kyon finally flipped and tried to punch Haruhi in
the face and had to be restrained by Koizumi, and even more that this
didn't give him pause for thought - he struggled with Koizumi in an
attempt to complete the action! I have noticed him getting increasingly
short-tempered and jealous over Mikuru during this series though, he
really does seem to prefer her totally over Haruhi, whereas in the first
series I felt it was just an act because she was the sort of girl he
felt he was "supposed" to like (unlike Haruhi).

When Kyon later went to make up with Haruhi, there was an extremely
intriguing little glimpse of her as he opened the door. She was holding
her hair in a pony tail, but immediately dropped it when she saw him.
The whole moment lasted under a second and it didn't register the first
time I saw it. But clearly she was reminiscing about him, so maybe she
would have come crawling to him if he had held out a little longer?

I was also intrigued at the suggestion that Haruhi's imagination had
conjured up various paranatural groups whose existence was mutually
imcompatible timeline-wise, leading to a bloody struggle behind the
scenes as each faction (of which Koizumi and Mikuru represent just two)
tried to ensure that their own existence prevailed.

Maybe it's time I read the novels....

robin-of-lox

Sep 17, 2009, 8:45:01 PM9/17/09
On Sep 15, 6:46 pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched?  Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.  Anything good?
>
> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic.  Not bad;
> I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as jarring
> as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the military aspects
> were a bit more grounded.
>
> Arnold Kim

I've been saving a lot of what I bought from Right Stuf lately
(couldn't resist that $100 special) because I knew I'd want to watch a
lot of it now while recuperating from having my gall bladder taken
out. So over the last couple of days I watched Black Cat.

Black Cat: I was a little disappointed in it. It wasn't bad really, I
enjoyed the characters, the drawing and the smoothness of the action
were fine. I really liked the rooftop scenes. Though the story could
have been confusing, it was actually pretty well laid out and made
sense, BUT I guess it was just the last episode which brought the
whole thing down for me. As with too many animes out there,
everything is wrapped up too quickly and doesn't follow the flow of
the previous episodes. It was as if they cut out a couple of
important scenes that would have explained the reasons for the way it
ended (I don't really want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen
it).

Tonight I'm going to watch some Tokyo Majin. I bought the first 3
discs and I'll see how far I get into that. There is actually some
real television I want to watch tonight as well.

Robin

Giovanni Wassen

Sep 18, 2009, 2:00:07 AM9/18/09
"Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE4_airmail.net> wrote:

>>> I finished Shangri-La 23 over the weekend. Out of curiosity why do
>>> you say it is a waste of time?
>>
>> Obviously I don't like it very much, but since I have something like
>> a 7 episode rule (if I don't drop it after seven I'll watch it to the
>> end) I'll finish it.
>>
>> Okay, now the reasons why:
>>
>> - The story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The whole carbon
>> rating thing, the monetary system behind it, it's far too iffy to
>> work, even in this context.
>
> I suspend disbelief well when needed, so I don't care as much about
> how the details tie together. It helps when the anime has good visual
> elements.

It does help yes, but suspension of disbelief has its limits of course
and Shangri-La moves dangerously close to the edge. Like, for instance,
how did Kuniko and her organisation pay for all those weapons? Where do
they get the money?

>> - The Prison Break episode
>
> It was not the best, but the "give them what they want" like fit her
> character to a T. The end result was also necessary for Kuniko to
> develop.

There were other ways to let Kuniko develop, something not involving a
plan which MacGuyver would have been jealous of. It was just silly imho.

Bobby Clark

Sep 18, 2009, 11:30:48 AM9/18/09

>>> Obviously I don't like it very much, but since I have something like
>>> a 7 episode rule (if I don't drop it after seven I'll watch it to the
>>> end) I'll finish it.
>>>
>>> Okay, now the reasons why:
>>>
>>> - The story doesn't make any sense whatsoever. The whole carbon
>>> rating thing, the monetary system behind it, it's far too iffy to
>>> work, even in this context.
>>
>> I suspend disbelief well when needed, so I don't care as much about
>> how the details tie together. It helps when the anime has good visual
>> elements.
>
> It does help yes, but suspension of disbelief has its limits of course
> and Shangri-La moves dangerously close to the edge. Like, for instance,
> how did Kuniko and her organisation pay for all those weapons? Where do
> they get the money?

I think they sold graphite. There was an episode on that or part of one.
Its another place where the logic is faulty as graphite is not used to make
carbon fiber that Atlas is made from.

>>> - The Prison Break episode
>>
>> It was not the best, but the "give them what they want" like fit her
>> character to a T. The end result was also necessary for Kuniko to
>> develop.
>
> There were other ways to let Kuniko develop, something not involving a
> plan which MacGuyver would have been jealous of. It was just silly imho.

I do agree on that. BTW, MacGuyver has turned into a skit on SNL over the
last few years. RDA showed up for a few installments. I watched some of
the first season over the break and was suprised by how bad it was.

Bobby

David Johnston

Sep 19, 2009, 1:19:42 PM9/19/09
I just watched Yugi-Oh 5ds. Actually some nice world-building with a
highly stratified division between the shiny "happy" gated community
and the "satellite" of garbage recycling slum dwellers. But the duels
are still stupid.

darthmark

Sep 19, 2009, 1:30:26 PM9/19/09
Arnold Kim wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. Anything good?
>
> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not bad;
> I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not as jarring
> as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the military aspects
> were a bit more grounded.
>
> Arnold Kim

Just re-watched, for the nth time, the ROD OVA. Some people have comfort
food, I have comfort anime.

--
"How CAN we use sex to get what we want? Sex IS what we want!"

Bobby Clark

Sep 21, 2009, 11:10:13 AM9/21/09

"Robert Sneddon" <fr...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> In message <slrnhb4pma...@balder.sabir.com>,
> chr...@balder.sabir.com writes
>
>>I finished re-watching Gunsliger Girl, in preparation for
>>watching the second season DVDs that just arrived.
>
> Word of warning -- the second season of Gunslinger Girl is not like the
> first season. The animation quality is dire (in comparison to season 1,
> anyway).
>
> I managed to choke my way through the first episode of season 2 and
> then bailed. I was severely disappointed by it.

I picked it up as soon as it hit Best Buy. I like the story, but it moves
much slower than the first one. I think they cheeted alot with it. The
animation quality and story suffered. The manga also suffered after a bit.
I still get the bound volumes when released, but it is not as much fun now.

Bobby

Bobby Clark

Sep 21, 2009, 11:12:23 AM9/21/09

"Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE4_airmail.net> wrote in message

> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>>
>> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
>> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
>> Anything good?
>
> Last night I watched the first 2 episodes of Code E. It was good so far.

Finished Code E yesterday. I did not like the final episode. The only
thing resolved was the love triangle aspect of the show. Nothing else was
settled in a menaingfull way.

Bobby

Tank

Sep 22, 2009, 10:07:32 AM9/22/09
Recently started watching Gokinjo Monogatari (Neighbourhood Stories).
Never licensed, so it's being subbed by Yuurisan. It's from 1995 but
looks like it was from the 70's. Very retro both in visual style and
storyline. It's a typical story about childhood friends going through
love relationships in highschool. It's an interesting piece for
anyone interested in 'old school' anime or if you are curious what
anime was like years ago.

--Edwin E.

chr...@balder.sabir.com

Sep 22, 2009, 10:51:09 AM9/22/09

Moves more slowly than the the first one??? I would disagree
there, since the first one didn't really move (and was great
despite that.) There was a much more real, focused plot for much
of the second season.

I just finished the second season and my reaction is it is so-so.
I dislike the animation changes but I can accept that. I have a
harder time with the re-appearance of a Season 1 character that I
don't really see the necessity for. But the biggest issue is
that the focus of Season 1 was the internal character conflicts
of everybody involved, and that was only paid lip service to, and
papered over, with a "happy" ending!

The first season was a great tragic story - the second season was
an average story with one good new focus (the parallels with
Pinoochio.)

Chris

Dave Watson

Sep 22, 2009, 11:19:39 AM9/22/09

Good choice. It's based on the manga by Ai Yazawa, who did Paradise
Kiss and is now doing Nana.

Watson
Yes, he likes some shoujo. Got a problem with that?

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 22, 2009, 1:41:34 PM9/22/09
Tank <no_Tank_s...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Recently started watching Gokinjo Monogatari (Neighbourhood Stories).

Brother! ^_^

> Never licensed, so it's being subbed by Yuurisan. It's from 1995 but
> looks like it was from the 70's. Very retro both in visual style and
> storyline. It's a typical story about childhood friends going through
> love relationships in highschool. It's an interesting piece for
> anyone interested in 'old school' anime or if you are curious what
> anime was like years ago.

The characters are pretty enjoyable, too. I'm not too sure, how closely
it follows the manga, though, since t's been years since I've read it.
However, just like the manga it *is* pretty different from its (sort of)
successor "Paradise Kiss".

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

Massimo Sabbadini

Sep 22, 2009, 1:52:13 PM9/22/09
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:51:09 -0500, chr...@balder.sabir.com wrote:

[GG -Il teatrino-]

>I just finished the second season and my reaction is it is so-so.
>I dislike the animation changes but I can accept that. I have a
>harder time with the re-appearance of a Season 1 character that I
>don't really see the necessity for.

If you mean Angelica, in the manga she didn't die. Artland decided to
stick to the manga storyline, so they brought her back.

--
Massimo "Gohan" Sabbadini
Email: gohan(at)megane.it

chr...@balder.sabir.com

Sep 22, 2009, 2:52:14 PM9/22/09
On 2009-09-22, Massimo Sabbadini <go...@megane.it> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:51:09 -0500, chr...@balder.sabir.com wrote:
>
> [GG -Il teatrino-]
>>I just finished the second season and my reaction is it is so-so.
>>I dislike the animation changes but I can accept that. I have a
>>harder time with the re-appearance of a Season 1 character that I
>>don't really see the necessity for.

(rot13 to avoid spoilers for a new release).
> Vs lbh zrna Natryvpn, va gur znatn fur qvqa'g qvr. Negynaq qrpvqrq gb
> fgvpx gb gur znatn fgbelyvar, fb gurl oebhtug ure onpx.

Lrf (V jnf gelvat abg gb fcbvy vg sbe bguref jub znl svaq whfg gung
xabjyrqtr nssrpgvat ubj gurl ivrj Frnfba 1, juvpu jbhyq or
hasbeghangr.) Ohg gurer vf ab whfgvsvpngvba va Frnfba 1 sbe gur
cbffvovyvgl bs ure erpbirevat va Frnfba 2, naq vg jnf abg rira tvira
gur "n zvenpyr unccrarq" gerngzrag va Frnfba 2 gb fhccbeg vg.

Chris

Tank

Sep 23, 2009, 12:59:31 PM9/23/09
Ah, I don't feel so alone now, thanks you two. ^_^

While the setting and general premise is nothing new, the treatment is
certainly unique. I can't think of another show to compare it
directly to. What I like is that even though each character has
his/her own quirks, they are all believable. The last show to leave
me with that feeling was Itazura na Kiss.

--Edwin E.

Hand-of-Omega

Oct 7, 2009, 1:06:50 PM10/7/09
On Sep 15, 9:46 pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:

> What was the last anime you've watched?  Not necessarily a completed series,
> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.  Anything good?

After hitting a slump, my roomie and I have renewed our "anime club
nights"...Since our local club no longer meets, we just watch series
in our basement (buying that new 47 inch HD LCD sure helped!). We just
finished Grappler Baki, and are in the middle of Samurai Seven,
Samurai Deeper Kyo and Berserk. Thanks to a birthday gift card to Best
Buy, I got Kino's Journey, Negima?!, and Simoun, along with some other
stuff, but we haven't watched those yet...

Dex

Rob Kelk

Oct 7, 2009, 6:56:37 PM10/7/09
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:06:50 -0700 (PDT), Hand-of-Omega
<hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sep 15, 9:46=A0pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>> What was the last anime you've watched? =A0Not necessarily a completed se=
>ries,
>> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. =A0Anything =

>good?
>>
>After hitting a slump, my roomie and I have renewed our "anime club
>nights"...Since our local club no longer meets, we just watch series
>in our basement (buying that new 47 inch HD LCD sure helped!). We just
>finished Grappler Baki, and are in the middle of Samurai Seven,
>Samurai Deeper Kyo and Berserk. Thanks to a birthday gift card to Best
>Buy, I got Kino's Journey, Negima?!, and Simoun, along with some other
>stuff, but we haven't watched those yet...
>
>Dex

Oh, dear. You might as well get Negima?! out of the way first and then
watch something at least halfway-entertaining after that...

Hand-of-Omega

Oct 8, 2009, 3:42:48 PM10/8/09
On Oct 7, 6:56 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:06:50 -0700 (PDT), Hand-of-Omega
>

> <handofom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Sep 15, 9:46=A0pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> >> What was the last anime you've watched? =A0Not necessarily a completed se=
> >ries,
> >> just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched. =A0Anything =
> >good?
>
> >After hitting a slump, my roomie and I have renewed our "anime club
> >nights"...Since our local club no longer meets, we just watch series
> >in our basement (buying that new 47 inch HD LCD sure helped!). We just
> >finished Grappler Baki, and are in the middle of Samurai Seven,
> >Samurai Deeper Kyo and Berserk. Thanks to a birthday gift card to Best
> >Buy, I got Kino's Journey, Negima?!, and Simoun, along with some other
> >stuff, but we haven't watched those yet...
>
> >Dex
>
> Oh, dear.  You might as well get Negima?! out of the way first and then
> watch something at least halfway-entertaining after that...

Ouch. Worse than the original series? I already know it deviates from
the manga story, but is there more...?

Dex

Rob Kelk

Oct 8, 2009, 4:36:13 PM10/8/09
On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 12:42:48 -0700 (PDT), Hand-of-Omega
<hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Oct 7, 6:56=A0pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

<snip>

>> Oh, dear. You might as well get Negima?! out of the way first and then
>> watch something at least halfway-entertaining after that...
>>
>Ouch. Worse than the original series? I already know it deviates from
>the manga story, but is there more...?

At the moment, I can only think of two shows that I would veto including
in the Primer if anyone was to submit writeups for them. Negima?! is one
of them.

(The other is MD Geist, should anyone be wondering.)

sanjian

Oct 9, 2009, 11:27:08 AM10/9/09
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 10:06:50 -0700 (PDT), Hand-of-Omega
> <hando...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 15, 9:46=A0pm, "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote:
>>

>>> What was the last anime you've watched? =A0Not necessarily a
>>> completed se= ries, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc.
>>> you watched. =A0Anything = good?
>>>
>> After hitting a slump, my roomie and I have renewed our "anime club
>> nights"...Since our local club no longer meets, we just watch series
>> in our basement (buying that new 47 inch HD LCD sure helped!). We
>> just finished Grappler Baki, and are in the middle of Samurai Seven,
>> Samurai Deeper Kyo and Berserk. Thanks to a birthday gift card to
>> Best Buy, I got Kino's Journey, Negima?!, and Simoun, along with
>> some other stuff, but we haven't watched those yet...
>>
>> Dex
>
> Oh, dear. You might as well get Negima?! out of the way first and
> then watch something at least halfway-entertaining after that...

Dunno... I thought Negima?! was decent for a four-episode OVA series.

Rob Kelk

Oct 9, 2009, 1:43:26 PM10/9/09

You're thinking of "Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~" and
"Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Mou Hitotsu no Sekai~". Dex has picked up
everybody's current favourite target of DissContinuity...

--
Rob Kelk
<http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/>
e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/

Ia! Ia! Chibi-Usa ftagan!

sanjian

Oct 9, 2009, 2:46:18 PM10/9/09

No, I just deny that most of Negima?! exists. I thought it started out with
an interesting style. I loved the visuals and the set designs. Wasn't big
on them stealing Asuna's hetrochromism, though. Still, I thought it had
potential. Then came the chupacabara...

Chika

Oct 11, 2009, 6:43:50 PM10/11/09

<arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
> (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)

> What was the last anime you've watched? Not necessarily a completed
> series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> Anything good?

Not necessarily. It was Umi Monogatari, and I'm still in two minds about
it. I'll say more if and when it finally gets to full review.

> Today I just polished off episodes 9 and 10 of Full Metal Panic. Not

> bad; I'm liking the "slice of life high school"/"Real Robot" mix, not

> as jarring as you think it would be, though I sometimes wish that the
> military aspects were a bit more grounded.

I've seen a bit of that series, but not enough to form an opinion as yet.

--
// \// Hazukashii serifu kinshii!!

... Your cat's missing? Have you checked my bumper?

Message has been deleted

Terrence Briggs

Oct 17, 2009, 4:48:50 PM10/17/09
On Sep 15, 10:35 pm, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast> wrote:
> "Arnold Kim" <arnold...@optonline.net> wrote innews:4ab0435f$0$5007$607e...@cv.net:

> > (trying to pick things up in the ng again...)
>
> > What was the last anime you've watched?  Not necessarily a completed
> > series, just what was the last anime episode/movie etc. you watched.
> > Anything good?
>
> Watched Mamoru Oshii's "The Sky Crawlers" on Blu-ray to test my recently-
> acquired 23" widescreen PC monitor. The movie was quite slow in parts,

Especially the part between the credits.

"In parts," he says :-)

> but
> overall, not a bad film.

Well, it WAS better than Transformers 2.

I'm back to sampling Shikabane Hime episode 2, via Youtube.
Surprisingly intriguing genre series about a "ghost hunting" heroine
of sorts. Nice attention to character-based details, with some somber
moments that feel earned, rather than cheap.

> Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
> To reply by e-mail, swap the net and cast

Terrence Briggs, needs to watch SOMETHING animated, after giving up on
Saturday Morning. At age 30.
Peace to you...