Otakon 2008 Licensing Announcement

Galen

Aug 10, 2008, 4:16:26 PM8/10/08
Otakon 2008 Licensing Announcement

Bandai Entertainment (source ANN)
.hack//G.U. Trilogy

Rob Kelk

Aug 10, 2008, 4:57:02 PM8/10/08

Media Blasters, FUNi: no new announcements. (Although MB is making
some of their older titles available via Crunchyroll.)

ADV (source ANN): Koharu Biyori ; five live-action titles. (I remember
when AnimEigo started concentrating on live-action... Oh, and a dozen
of ADV's older titles will be available via Crunchyroll.)

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 10, 2008, 6:56:33 PM8/10/08
On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:57:02 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:16:26 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>
>>Otakon 2008 Licensing Announcement
>>
>>Bandai Entertainment (source ANN)
>>.hack//G.U. Trilogy
>
>Media Blasters, FUNi: no new announcements. (Although MB is making
>some of their older titles available via Crunchyroll.)
>
>ADV (source ANN): Koharu Biyori ; five live-action titles. (I remember
>when AnimEigo started concentrating on live-action... Oh, and a dozen
>of ADV's older titles will be available via Crunchyroll.)

What?! ADV's suppossed to be dead, they shouldn't be able to get
licenses!! Hmmm, musta been dreamin' . . .:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13fuTcLasU>

Seriously, any word on who the Soljitz replacement is?

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2008, 12:33:12 AM8/11/08
On Aug 10, 3:56 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

>    What?!  ADV's suppossed to be dead, they shouldn't be able to get
> licenses!!  Hmmm, musta been dreamin' . . .:

No, they shouldn't. You're right.

And if this isn't really evidence that they are dead (at least as an
anime company), as they are now basically working as a subsection of
Switchblade Films...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2008, 12:36:12 AM8/11/08
Let me answer the last question:

The Sojitz replacement is an outfit called Switchblade Films -- and,
it appears, the new direction for ADV will be live-action, as 5 of the
6 titles licensed are live-action.

The days of ADV in anime are over. ADV, as an anime company, is dead
-- they're basically trying to suck the last dollars out of their back
catalogue (before they lose it all to the likes of CrunchyShit) to
keep them afloat so they can put out Japanese live-action titles.

*spit*

Mike

Derek Janssen

Aug 11, 2008, 1:46:55 AM8/11/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> Let me answer the last question:
>
> The Sojitz replacement is an outfit called Switchblade Films -- and,
> it appears, the new direction for ADV will be live-action

Actually, it's their *old* direction, as they've had a J-horror line for
years now, although their kaiju "Rubbersuit Pictures" line hasn't seen
much action since the last neo-Gamera films and the Yokai Monsters series--
Oh, and you'll notice the press release mentions "ANOTHER set of
Zatoichi movies"...

> as 5 of the titles licensed are live-action.

And the sixth is anime...Your point please?

(No, wait, let me phrase that unfortunately inviting wishful-lead-in
less rhetorically: You don't *have* one.) :)

Derek Janssen (any other blazing scoops?)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2008, 2:05:15 AM8/11/08
On Aug 10, 10:46 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

Nice try, Derek. What today's "announcement" appears to indicate is
that they are getting out.

Mike (May they do it before they kill the rest of the "market"...)

Rob Kelk

Aug 11, 2008, 10:05:08 AM8/11/08

Not yet.

selaboc

Aug 12, 2008, 12:43:46 PM8/12/08
On Aug 10, 6:56 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:57:02 GMT, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)

> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 16:16:26 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>
> >>Otakon 2008 Licensing Announcement
>
> >>Bandai Entertainment (source ANN)
> >>.hack//G.U. Trilogy
>
> >Media Blasters, FUNi:  no new announcements.  (Although MB is making
> >some of their older titles available via Crunchyroll.)
>
> >ADV (source ANN):  Koharu Biyori ; five live-action titles.  (I remember
> >when AnimEigo started concentrating on live-action...  Oh, and a dozen
> >of ADV's older titles will be available via Crunchyroll.)
>
>    What?!  ADV's suppossed to be dead, they shouldn't be able to get
> licenses!!  Hmmm, musta been dreamin' . . .:

Indeed, their funeral was back in July at Ax, didn't you read the
announcement of it by Chicken Little prior to AX. ADV is dead and the
Anime Industry really only has 1 month left to live. :-)

darkst...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2008, 4:05:41 PM8/12/08
On Aug 12, 9:43 am, selaboc <c64...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, their funeral was back in July at Ax, didn't you read the
> announcement of it by Chicken Little prior to AX. ADV is dead and the
> Anime Industry really only has 1 month left to live. :-)

I said I'd give it 18 but that I should give it 6 -- you (or someone
else) gave the quote. With the legitimization of CrunchyShit, I'd say
that's a fairly good estimate. Where are companies going to get the
money to continue to put anime out?

I think another year might about do it in completely, especially given
the legitimization of the forces which have openly killed the
industry.

As for ADV, it really sounds like you've got a few bitter men over
there trying, while segueing into live-action, to put the final knives
in their competition and take the rest of it with them to the death.

Mike