New AS show - Moribito?

Doug Jacobs

Aug 25, 2008, 4:07:13 PM8/25/08
Well, this took me by surprise - a new show on AS - and anime at that.

Although...I'm a bit confused.

* Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)

* Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
a bad thing, mind you...)

And then there's the show itself. What exactly is the setting supposed to
be here? Chinese Tibet? (the prayer flags are a dead give away)
Even the story seems oddly Chinese to me.

I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's voice.
Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking she's going to
call for backup from Batou or something.

--
It's not broken. It's...advanced.

Shawn Merrow

Aug 25, 2008, 6:58:40 PM8/25/08

"Doug Jacobs" <dja...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message

Think your thinking of the wrong voice actor as Balsa is done by Cindy
Robinson.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=2532

--
Shawn Merrow

Relic

Aug 25, 2008, 8:02:18 PM8/25/08
I have to admit when I was watching the show I thought her voice
sounded like a younger Kusanagi. I watched the credits and found
it wasn't her VA. Imagine my surprise ^_^.

I was pleasantly surprised by the show. A slower pace than the
usual shows on AS, certainly more mature (actual, not what
passes for maturity these days), and my only regret is that
I have to wade through Code Geass to get to it.

DBBrandell

Aug 25, 2008, 8:05:48 PM8/25/08
Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Well, this took me by surprise - a new show on AS - and anime at that.
>
> Although...I'm a bit confused.
>
> * Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
> least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
> really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)

There was a bump early on the morning of the 18th, when they usually
list ratings. I think it was also listed on AS's webpage & in the
schedule. Like you say, very little coverage for a new show. The bump
itself was so oddly downbeat that I quoted it in another thread here
Monday morning.

> * Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
> off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
> downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
> focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
> a bad thing, mind you...)

Yeah... she says, '30 is just around the corner', and she talks like a
grown-up. The characters seemed very quiet, well mannered, calm, very
'reflect first, then talk.' There was a reasonable amount of action,
but it didn't feel frantic to me. I liked it well enough.

> And then there's the show itself. What exactly is the setting supposed to
> be here? Chinese Tibet? (the prayer flags are a dead give away)
> Even the story seems oddly Chinese to me.

Chinese sounds good. Might explain the style of speaking. Some ancient
country, anyway, with swords and spears. One example of magic, which
the main character seemed suprised by, but not frightened.

> I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's voice.
> Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking she's going to
> call for backup from Batou or something.

I think maybe this is a different actress? Not sure though.

DBB

David Johnston

Aug 25, 2008, 8:22:43 PM8/25/08
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 15:07:13 -0500, Doug Jacobs
<dja...@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

>Well, this took me by surprise - a new show on AS - and anime at that.
>
>Although...I'm a bit confused.
>
>* Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
>least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
>really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)
>
>* Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
>off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
>downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
>focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
>a bad thing, mind you...)
>
>And then there's the show itself. What exactly is the setting supposed to
>be here? Chinese Tibet? (the prayer flags are a dead give away)
>Even the story seems oddly Chinese to me.

In the novel, the setting is the fictional land of New Yogo a
continental colony of Yogo, which is more or less Japan.

Message has been deleted

David Johnston

Aug 26, 2008, 1:15:15 AM8/26/08
On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 00:22:43 GMT, David Johnston <da...@block.net>
wrote:

Incidentally, since Yogo is psuedo-Japan, and New Yogo is on a
peninsula it's probably supposed to be an alt-Korea, although the
natives are more like Australian aborigines culturally.

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 26, 2008, 1:43:57 PM8/26/08
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 3:07pm-0500, Doug Jacobs <dja...@shell.rawbw.com>:

> Well, this took me by surprise - a new show on AS - and anime at that.
>
> Although...I'm a bit confused.
>
> * Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
> least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
> really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)

There's only a little bit.
It's because obviously they don't have much confidence in the show,
premiering it at 1:30am EST, so why bother advertising.

> * Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
> off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
> downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
> focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
> a bad thing, mind you...)

She says she's nearing 30, but chara design is all that matters to fans.

> And then there's the show itself. What exactly is the setting supposed to
> be here? Chinese Tibet? (the prayer flags are a dead give away)
> Even the story seems oddly Chinese to me.
>
> I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's voice.
> Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking she's going to
> call for backup from Batou or something.

Wrong VA, but she has thick lips.

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 26, 2008, 1:47:51 PM8/26/08
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 2:40am+0200, Arne Luft <ne...@yhsg3.invalid>:

> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
> >Well, this took me by surprise - a new show on AS - and anime at that.
> >
> >Although...I'm a bit confused.
> >
> >* Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
> >least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
> >really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)
> >
> >* Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
> >off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
> >downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
> >focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
> >a bad thing, mind you...)
>

> Possibly they play "hide and seek" with the audience as a new way to
> attract its attention. That is a possibility, because Media Blasters
> have announced the license in a hidden form of one of their DVDs.

CN has done "stealth premieres" in the past to test the waters,
but no, this was not a stealth premiere, albeit close to it.

Laters. =)

Stan

Doug Jacobs

Aug 26, 2008, 4:05:52 PM8/26/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRu...@uofr.slamspam.net> wrote:
>> * Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
>> least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
>> really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)
>>

> There's only a little bit.
> It's because obviously they don't have much confidence in the show,
> premiering it at 1:30am EST, so why bother advertising.

Very odd. I was begining to give up on AS since it's becoming clearer and
clearer that I'm just not in their demographic anymore - what with their
hate/love/hate relationship with anime, their fascination with their own
ugly mugs and perponderance of live-action drivel, and overall
dickishness of their bumps. Then this pops out of nowhere. I wonder if
it'll survive? It's anime - but it's obviously quite a change from the
immature Crayon Shin-chan, or the frentic pacing of Bleach, Inuyasha or
even Code Geass. Even Death Note seemed a bit out of their league since
it focused more on psychology or deeper themes (never mind the obvious
eye-candy appeal of, say, L, Light, or Misa-Misa.)

>> * Why is this on Adult Swim? It seems almost...too mature for AS. First
>> off, the main character is an adult - no, really, she's an adult. A
>> downright ancient sage amongst a deluge of shows that only seem to want to
>> focus on precocious 10-16 year old protagonists. (not that I think this is
>> a bad thing, mind you...)
>>

> She says she's nearing 30, but chara design is all that matters to fans.

But even then, the characters are more realistic, making the show appear
to be aimmed at a much older audience.

>> And then there's the show itself. What exactly is the setting supposed to
>> be here? Chinese Tibet? (the prayer flags are a dead give away)
>> Even the story seems oddly Chinese to me.
>>
>> I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's voice.
>> Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking she's going to
>> call for backup from Batou or something.
>>

> Wrong VA, but she has thick lips.

Well, it sure sounds like her. Even the character's mannerisms are
similar to Motoko's.

Derek Janssen

Aug 26, 2008, 4:25:46 PM8/26/08
Doug Jacobs wrote:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E <LostRu...@uofr.slamspam.net> wrote:
>
>>>* Why wasn't this advertised? AS usually runs ads for new shows, or at
>>>least gives them mentions in the bumps. Did I somehow miss this? (I
>>>really don't bother reading the bumps anymore...)
>>>

>>There's only a little bit.
>>It's because obviously they don't have much confidence in the show,
>>premiering it at 1:30am EST, so why bother advertising.
>
> Very odd. I was begining to give up on AS since it's becoming clearer and
> clearer that I'm just not in their demographic anymore - what with their
> hate/love/hate relationship with anime, their fascination with their own
> ugly mugs and perponderance of live-action drivel, and overall
> dickishness of their bumps. Then this pops out of nowhere. I wonder if
> it'll survive? It's anime - but it's obviously quite a change from the
> immature Crayon Shin-chan, or the frentic pacing of Bleach, Inuyasha or
> even Code Geass. Even Death Note seemed a bit out of their league since
> it focused more on psychology or deeper themes (never mind the obvious
> eye-candy appeal of, say, L, Light, or Misa-Misa.)

Over on the AoD Forums, a new discussion thread over whether Funi will
ever be able to do for Sgt. Frog what ADV couldn't--and if not, just
where the heck COULD they show it? 0_o??--had quickly turned into
another "State of Broadcast Anime, 2008" discussion...
(And, recognizing that AS will never, ever show a straightforward
clean-and-sober non-pottymouthed comedy, the question of whether Sci-Fi,
G4 or IFC would ever air one either, slavering desperately for Swim's
own demographic.)

Until bringing up the Overall Dickishness of Swim's Moribito bump
("permission to launch for failure") finally pushed the historical
million-dollar question of whether Williams Street ever, in fact, cared
about anime at all--
Or--like CN airing Hamtaro as a Viz contractual obligation to license
InuYasha--whether they were originally trying to finish off contractual
Bandai and Pioneer licenses to air Bebop and Trigun, because they
thought Spike and Vash looked cool...Oh, and FLCL, because it looked
like the guys who made it musta been on drugs, huhuh.
And then quickly found themselves the happy dumping ground for EVERY
single DVD-company broadcast negotiation to the exclusion of every other
channel on cable, whether they liked it or not, and evidence may very
theoretically point to "not".

...There's a bit of a demographic jump from digital-bikini Tenchi and
uncut Robotech on Late-Night Toonami, to Shin-chan, Bo7 and "wacky"
Lupin III dubs.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 27, 2008, 1:00:13 AM8/27/08
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 8:25pm-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

> Doug Jacobs wrote:

> > > There's only a little bit.
> > > It's because obviously they don't have much confidence in the show,
> > > premiering it at 1:30am EST, so why bother advertising.
> >
> > Very odd. I was begining to give up on AS since it's becoming clearer and
> > clearer that I'm just not in their demographic anymore - what with their

Seems Derek below never was. ^_^

> > hate/love/hate relationship with anime, their fascination with their own
> > ugly mugs and perponderance of live-action drivel, and overall dickishness
> > of their bumps. Then this pops out of nowhere. I wonder if it'll survive?
> > It's anime - but it's obviously quite a change from the immature Crayon
> > Shin-chan, or the frentic pacing of Bleach, Inuyasha or even Code Geass.
> > Even Death Note seemed a bit out of their league since it focused more on
> > psychology or deeper themes (never mind the obvious eye-candy appeal of,
> > say, L, Light, or Misa-Misa.)
>
> Over on the AoD Forums, a new discussion thread over whether Funi will ever be
> able to do for Sgt. Frog what ADV couldn't--and if not, just where the heck
> COULD they show it? 0_o??--had quickly turned into another "State of
> Broadcast Anime, 2008" discussion...
> (And, recognizing that AS will never, ever show a straightforward
> clean-and-sober non-pottymouthed comedy, the question of whether Sci-Fi, G4 or
> IFC would ever air one either, slavering desperately for Swim's own
> demographic.)

Eh, anime fans tend to be one more step removed
from the realities of the TV watching business. ^_^

(Simply because they don't watch much TV;
that's why they watch anime.)

> Until bringing up the Overall Dickishness of Swim's Moribito bump ("permission
> to launch for failure") finally pushed the historical million-dollar question
> of whether Williams Street ever, in fact, cared about anime at all--
> Or--like CN airing Hamtaro as a Viz contractual obligation to license
> InuYasha--whether they were originally trying to finish off contractual Bandai
> and Pioneer licenses to air Bebop and Trigun, because they thought Spike and
> Vash looked cool...Oh, and FLCL, because it looked like the guys who made it
> musta been on drugs, huhuh.
> And then quickly found themselves the happy dumping ground for EVERY single
> DVD-company broadcast negotiation to the exclusion of every other channel on
> cable, whether they liked it or not, and evidence may very theoretically point
> to "not".
>
> ...There's a bit of a demographic jump from digital-bikini Tenchi and uncut
> Robotech on Late-Night Toonami, to Shin-chan, Bo7 and "wacky" Lupin III dubs.

Bobobo was on Toonami, not Adult Swim.

Derek Janssen

Aug 27, 2008, 1:41:01 AM8/27/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

>>>hate/love/hate relationship with anime, their fascination with their own
>>>ugly mugs and perponderance of live-action drivel, and overall dickishness
>>>of their bumps. Then this pops out of nowhere. I wonder if it'll survive?
>>>It's anime - but it's obviously quite a change from the immature Crayon
>>>Shin-chan, or the frentic pacing of Bleach, Inuyasha or even Code Geass.
>>>Even Death Note seemed a bit out of their league since it focused more on
>>>psychology or deeper themes (never mind the obvious eye-candy appeal of,
>>>say, L, Light, or Misa-Misa.)
>>
>>Over on the AoD Forums, a new discussion thread over whether Funi will ever be
>>able to do for Sgt. Frog what ADV couldn't--and if not, just where the heck
>>COULD they show it? 0_o??--had quickly turned into another "State of
>>Broadcast Anime, 2008" discussion...
>>(And, recognizing that AS will never, ever show a straightforward
>>clean-and-sober non-pottymouthed comedy, the question of whether Sci-Fi, G4 or
>>IFC would ever air one either, slavering desperately for Swim's own
>>demographic.)
>
> Eh, anime fans tend to be one more step removed
> from the realities of the TV watching business. ^_^
>
> (Simply because they don't watch much TV;
> that's why they watch anime.)

Well, y'see, that was the POINT:
Yes, *you* don't watch TV, *we* don't watch TV, and just about any fan
who hunts down series on Netflix hasn't watched TV in the last two or
three years--
But Broadcast seems to have been in the Frog's contract from the
beginning...ADV didn't delay this long just because of stubbornness, or
because they were "waiting for the right offer".
As is usually the case with Japanese studios that know their export is a
hit, and try to leverage demands without really understanding the US
export market--Did you think Disney honestly WANTED to put "Princess
Mononoke" in theaters, if Tokuma hadn't stuck it in their contract clause?

Which is why Sgt. Frog discussions always invariably turn to Broadcast
discussions, and the Comedy difficulties thereof--We need a broadcast
slot, or we ain't getting the disks, non-negotiable...
We don't like it either, but there it is, in print: Some cable
channel's just going to *have* to close their eyes, pucker up, and kiss
the Frog. -_-

>>>And then quickly found themselves the happy dumping ground for EVERY single
>>>DVD-company broadcast negotiation to the exclusion of every other channel on
>>>cable, whether they liked it or not, and evidence may very theoretically point
>>>to "not".

(Particularly in that the anime industry now seems to treat "Cartoon
Network" as a synonym for *all* broadcast anime--Like Kleenex, Xerox,
Jell-O, or Southerners talking about "a Coke" when they mean "a soda".
Companies don't talk about "getting a show on cable", they talk about
"getting it onto Cartoon Network"...Even when they're selling it
somewhere else: "Yeah, once we get our show onto Cartoon Network, it'll
be a great addition to Sci-Fi's lineup". ;) )

>>...There's a bit of a demographic jump from digital-bikini Tenchi and uncut
>>Robotech on Late-Night Toonami, to Shin-chan, Bo7 and "wacky" Lupin III dubs.
>
> Bobobo was on Toonami, not Adult Swim.

Until they got rid of Toonami, and moved all the bloody/wacky shows over
to AS.

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 27, 2008, 4:06:45 AM8/27/08
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 5:41am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

How do you know I don't watch TV more than you think?
(I multitask - I often watch TV on the background.
I'm probably more in-tuned to pop culture than you realize. ^_^ )

> But Broadcast seems to have been in the Frog's contract from the
> beginning...ADV didn't delay this long just because of stubbornness, or
> because they were "waiting for the right offer".
> As is usually the case with Japanese studios that know their export is a hit,
> and try to leverage demands without really understanding the US export
> market--Did you think Disney honestly WANTED to put "Princess Mononoke" in
> theaters, if Tokuma hadn't stuck it in their contract clause?

I thought we knew about that from the very start?

> Which is why Sgt. Frog discussions always invariably turn to Broadcast
> discussions, and the Comedy difficulties thereof--We need a broadcast slot, or
> we ain't getting the disks, non-negotiable...
> We don't like it either, but there it is, in print: Some cable channel's just
> going to *have* to close their eyes, pucker up, and kiss the Frog. -_-

Maybe if the frog turns out like this? ^_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrzVI_5UK3c

Seriously though, they may as well put it up their own network.
'Merikuns aren't into that sort of crap. ;-)

> (Particularly in that the anime industry now seems to treat "Cartoon Network"
> as a synonym for *all* broadcast anime--Like Kleenex, Xerox, Jell-O, or
> Southerners talking about "a Coke" when they mean "a soda".
> Companies don't talk about "getting a show on cable", they talk about "getting
> it onto Cartoon Network"...Even when they're selling it somewhere else:
> "Yeah, once we get our show onto Cartoon Network, it'll be a great addition to
> Sci-Fi's lineup". ;) )

No other channels experiment with animation,
save for the occasional MTV2 or Fuse.

> > > ...There's a bit of a demographic jump from digital-bikini Tenchi and
> > > uncut
> > > Robotech on Late-Night Toonami, to Shin-chan, Bo7 and "wacky" Lupin III
> > > dubs.
> >
> > Bobobo was on Toonami, not Adult Swim.
>
> Until they got rid of Toonami, and moved all the bloody/wacky shows over to
> AS.

What do you mean got rid of Toonami?

Derek Janssen

Aug 27, 2008, 4:28:34 AM8/27/08
S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

>>Which is why Sgt. Frog discussions always invariably turn to Broadcast
>>discussions, and the Comedy difficulties thereof--We need a broadcast slot, or
>>we ain't getting the disks, non-negotiable...
>>We don't like it either, but there it is, in print: Some cable channel's just
>>going to *have* to close their eyes, pucker up, and kiss the Frog. -_-
>
> Maybe if the frog turns out like this? ^_-
><unrelated "YouTube in lieu of actual content, to vanity-stretch discussion" clip>

(Here, try this one instead--Not that it has any actual bearing on the
discussion, but it least it's heard of what we're talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fCGTO-Wa8 )

> Seriously though, they may as well put it up their own network.
> 'Merikuns aren't into that sort of crap. ;-)

Which raises the question of whether airing on the Funi Channel would
qualify for "broadcast", and sneak by the lawyers...

>>(Particularly in that the anime industry now seems to treat "Cartoon Network"
>>as a synonym for *all* broadcast anime--Like Kleenex, Xerox, Jell-O, or
>>Southerners talking about "a Coke" when they mean "a soda".
>>Companies don't talk about "getting a show on cable", they talk about "getting
>>it onto Cartoon Network"...Even when they're selling it somewhere else:
>>"Yeah, once we get our show onto Cartoon Network, it'll be a great addition to
>>Sci-Fi's lineup". ;) )
>>
> No other channels experiment with animation,
> save for the occasional MTV2 or Fuse.

And Sci-Fi Ani-Monday, and IFC's airings, and...whatever G4's excuse
was/is, if they haven't *already* turned their late-nite programming
into slacker Swim-clone.

And theoretically, you COULD sell Keronian aliens to Sci-Fi (hey, they
thought "Tripping the Rift" was cutting-edge comedy because they didn't
have anything else...)--
If not for the fact that the people who used to air Project A-Ko on
Sci-Fi aren't working there anymore, and all you've got left in the
Ani-Monday block are execs trying to figure out what AS is doing and how
they can copy it...Namely, by *also* showing DVD-negotiated cool-action
shows and space epics, and being unaware that anime comedy even exists.
(Leaving aside the question of whether Funi already has too much of a
lock on CN negotiations to shop their titles anywhere else, and whether
Sci-Fi or IFC have to take whatever Manga offal they can get.)

And as for MTV...oh, quit wearing those black armbands for Daria, and
join the 21st century! >_<

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

sanjian

Aug 27, 2008, 7:07:38 AM8/27/08
Derek Janssen wrote:
> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:

> (Particularly in that the anime industry now seems to treat "Cartoon
> Network" as a synonym for *all* broadcast anime--Like Kleenex, Xerox,
> Jell-O, or Southerners talking about "a Coke" when they mean "a soda".

Actually, this southerner says "Coke" because he means "Coke." Bring me a
Pepsi, and we're going to have words.

But I'll at least give you credit for not calling it "pop."

Blade

Aug 27, 2008, 7:44:57 AM8/27/08

"sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

Is there a problem with that, 'Merkin? ;p

-
Blade

sanjian

Aug 27, 2008, 10:25:15 AM8/27/08

"Pop" is my dad. Now, you can drink him if you want, but that's something
I'd rather not know about.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 27, 2008, 10:45:42 AM8/27/08

Being arguably the most recognized brand product in the world, and
the best-selling soft drink in every nation - with two exceptions -
it's sold, I guess southerners have reason to be proud . . .

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 27, 2008, 3:33:28 PM8/27/08
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:25am-0400, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:

"Pop" is the sound when ya put a loli on this: ^_^

http://shorl.com/ladegrylunyte
or
<http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-18/riku-ranjo-akikan-romance-light-novels-to-get-anime>

Laters. =)

Stan

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Aug 27, 2008, 3:51:06 PM8/27/08
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 8:28am-0000, Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net>:

> S.t.A.n.L.e.E wrote:
> >
> > No other channels experiment with animation,
> > save for the occasional MTV2 or Fuse.
>
> And Sci-Fi Ani-Monday, and IFC's airings, and...whatever G4's excuse was/is,
> if they haven't *already* turned their late-nite programming into slacker
> Swim-clone.
>
> And theoretically, you COULD sell Keronian aliens to Sci-Fi (hey, they thought
> "Tripping the Rift" was cutting-edge comedy because they didn't have anything
> else...)--
> If not for the fact that the people who used to air Project A-Ko on Sci-Fi
> aren't working there anymore, and all you've got left in the Ani-Monday block
> are execs trying to figure out what AS is doing and how they can copy
> it...Namely, by *also* showing DVD-negotiated cool-action shows and space
> epics, and being unaware that anime comedy even exists.
> (Leaving aside the question of whether Funi already has too much of a lock on
> CN negotiations to shop their titles anywhere else, and whether Sci-Fi or IFC
> have to take whatever Manga offal they can get.)
>
> And as for MTV...oh, quit wearing those black armbands for Daria, and join the
> 21st century! >_<

Daria? MTV2 aired "Heat Guy J" in 2004.
Toldja I watch TV more than you know. ;-p

Laters. =)

Stan

Aje RavenStar

Aug 27, 2008, 4:07:47 PM8/27/08

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message

> Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:25am-0400, sanjian <mun...@vt.edu>:
>
>> Blade wrote:
>> > "sanjian" <mun...@vt.edu> wrote in message

>> > Is there a problem with that, 'Merkin? ;p
>>
>> "Pop" is my dad. Now, you can drink him if you want, but that's
>> something I'd
>> rather not know about.
>>

> "Pop" is the sound when ya put a loli on this: ^_^
>
> http://shorl.com/ladegrylunyte
> or
> <http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-04-18/riku-ranjo-akikan-romance-light-novels-to-get-anime>

Selected quote: "However, Akikan girls need to be infused with carbon
dioxide from kissing to survive."

So, yes - real loli - pops.

parv

Aug 28, 2008, 6:30:57 AM8/28/08
in message <sN2dneRaVp5sjS7V...@posted.rawbandwidth>,
wrote Doug Jacobs ...

> I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's
> voice. Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking
> she's going to call for backup from Batou or something.

Oh crap, no kidding!

Yes, I am admitting that Atsuko Tanaka's voice has been type casted as
the Major in my mind. I will be pathetically helpless to think
otherwise for foreseeable future.

Oh, she also appears in Code Geass, in which case her voice indeed can
summon backup. Atsuko Tanaka's filmography ...

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0848968/

- parv

parv

Aug 28, 2008, 6:49:48 AM8/28/08
in message <slrngbcvrk...@holstein.holy.cow>,
wrote parv ...

> in message <sN2dneRaVp5sjS7V...@posted.rawbandwidth>,
> wrote Doug Jacobs ...
>
>> I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's
>> voice. Yeah, the VA fits the character well, but I keep thinking
>> she's going to call for backup from Batou or something.
>
> Oh crap, no kidding!
>
> Yes, I am admitting that Atsuko Tanaka's voice has been type casted as
> the Major in my mind.

After reading others reply, it was|is clear that out it was Mabuki
Andou's voice, which did sound to me like the character of Major
Kusanagi complete with the pauses, much like OP.

Sorry Mabuki Andou.

- parv

T987654321

Aug 29, 2008, 7:36:43 PM8/29/08
I enjoyed the first episode; but if all the rest turn into "save the
stupid brat again" it's going to get real old quickly.
Message has been deleted

sanjian

Aug 30, 2008, 8:35:55 AM8/30/08

"Arne Luft" <ne...@yhsg3.invalid> wrote in message

> Doug Jacobs wrote:
>
>>I sort of wish they could have found someone else for Balsa's voice.
>
> Sarah Palin? :-)

Nah. She's already got a job. (and, yes, I'm energized over the
announcement - I've been pulling for her for the past three months, but
let's not turn this into a poltical discussion)

Message has been deleted