Funimation 10 Day License-watch . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 22, 2008, 4:11:56 PM12/22/08
Day 1

*drumroll*

Ikki Tousen!

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 23, 2008, 12:45:36 PM12/23/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 2

Gad Guard.

--
Gio

http://blog.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 23, 2008, 1:10:46 PM12/23/08
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:11:56 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Day 1
>
>*drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 2

*drumroll*

Gad Guard!

D B Malmquist

Dec 23, 2008, 2:15:38 PM12/23/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Day 1
> >
> > *drumroll*
> >
> > Ikki Tousen!
> >

> Day 2
>
> Gad Guard.

Why is this news? ANN explains...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-23/funimation-adds-gad-guard-anime

Funimation announced at Anime Expo 2008 this past July that it agreed to
manufacture, sell, and distribute selected DVD titles from Geneon Entertainment
in North America, although Gad Guard was not named at the time.

Similarly for Ikki Tousen...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-22/funimation-adds-ikki-tousen-anime

FUNimation licensed the anime from Enoki Films directly.

So far, these are re-licenses of old Geneon titles. RightStuf has recently
had Gad Guard on sale for $7 a disk, and Ikki Tousen is crap, so I wonder how
much Funimation is going to make off DVD sales of these re-releases. Maybe
the cost is so low that Funimation is grabbing them to build up a larger back
catalog of cheap titles that can be made available for free, or close to free,
on their video portal?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2008-12-22/funimation-entertainment-introduces-new-video-portal

I wonder whether they got the rights to the existing English dubs, given
that they licensed directly from Japan.

-dbm

Bobby Clark

Dec 23, 2008, 1:58:59 PM12/23/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:11:56 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
> <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Day 1
>>
>>*drumroll*
>>
>> Ikki Tousen!

I like Ikki Tousen, but there are sill complete box sets of the original
Geneon box releases around Dallas. Any news on if Funimation will re-dub
them or will they use the Geneon dubs?

> Day 2
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Gad Guard!

Durring the original release, I had to search high and low to try and find
it after the first 3 or so disk. As with Ikki Tousen will Funimation re-dub
or use Geneons original dub?

Bobby

Arnold Kim

Dec 23, 2008, 10:18:13 PM12/23/08

"Giovanni Wassen" <ext...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Day 1
>>
>> *drumroll*
>>
>> Ikki Tousen!
>>

> Day 2
>
> Gad Guard.

Ikki Tousen's not really my cuppa tea, but Gad Guard seems interesting.
Anyone know if it's any good?

Arnold Kim

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 24, 2008, 8:52:25 AM12/24/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 3

*drumroll*

Vandread

(still not impressed after the first three)

Rob Kelk

Dec 24, 2008, 9:25:24 AM12/24/08
On 24 Dec 2008 13:52:25 GMT, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Day 1
>>
>> *drumroll*
>>
>> Ikki Tousen!
>>

>Day 3
>
>*drumroll*
>
>Vandread
>
>(still not impressed after the first three)

And I just bought the Geneon boxset of VanDread... Why are they
announcing titles that are still available before they announce new
titles?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"Santa sure says some mean things, you know?"

D B Malmquist

Dec 24, 2008, 12:18:24 PM12/24/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Day 1
> >
> > *drumroll*
> >
> > Ikki Tousen!
> >

> Day 3
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Vandread
>
> (still not impressed after the first three)

Somebody also found this image, for "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone" on
Funimation's servers:

http://www4.funimation.com/video/images/shows/evangelion.jpg

Source - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-24/funimation-adds-vandread-science-fiction-anime

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Dec 24, 2008, 12:52:02 PM12/24/08
"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Funimation has sprinkled little hints throughout their website as to
their new licenses, in the form of postcards.

http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=507

Here's one:

http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccd22amQ77duii3.jpg

Hey Ed,

You totally have to remind
me to tell you about
this dream I had last
night. VERY random.

Here's the preview:
You, me, a rocket and
ship, three monkeys.
OH! And you were in
a diaper!

XOXO, Kelly

This would be "Oh! Edo Rocket", which was rumored to be licensed.

Any guesses about these?

http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/747fG477414.jpg

Hey Katie!

You'll never guess who was
at the party last night.

Your EX!

I'll tell you more about it in person. He was
asking about you! Ha!

Beth.

http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/a7ddhwjuv81.jpg

Bob,

Hope that poison ivy cleared up.
Hate to think you're walking
around with itchy toes!

See ya soon,

Maggie

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Dec 24, 2008, 1:28:41 PM12/24/08
D B Malmquist wrote:

> "Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:
> >
> > Day 1
> >
> > *drumroll*
> >
> > Ikki Tousen!
>
> Funimation has sprinkled little hints throughout their website as to
> their new licenses, in the form of postcards.
>
> http://www.funimation.com/f_index.cfm?page=news&id=507
>
> Here's one:
>
> http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/ccd22amQ77duii3.jpg
>
> Hey Ed,
>
> You totally have to remind
> me to tell you about
> this dream I had last
> night. VERY random.
>
> Here's the preview:
> You, me, a rocket and
> ship, three monkeys.
> OH! And you were in
> a diaper!
>
> XOXO, Kelly
>
> This would be "Oh! Edo Rocket", which was rumored to be licensed.
>
> Any guesses about these?

And this:

http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/00928cdx7.jpg

Bobby,

Thought you'd like to know that
your grandpa and I went to eat at
Smith's pie shop last night. Bless your soul,
you always get so excited about their pies
during your summer visit!

Come see us soon, sweetie!

All of my love,
Granny

-dbm

Stainless Steel Rat

Dec 24, 2008, 4:16:51 PM12/24/08
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:52:25 +0000, Giovanni Wassen wrote:
> Vandread
>
> (still not impressed after the first three)

Ikki Tousen is interesting to me only inasmuch as it's a parody of The
Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Unfortunately it isn't a good parody.

I haven't seen Gad Guard.

On the other hand, Vandread is a heck of a lot better than it has any
right being. It's a harem comedy setup that never turns into a harem
comedy. It's a mishmash of stereotypes turned on their collective ears
and the result actually works.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2008, 8:06:45 PM12/24/08
On Dec 24, 5:52 am, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >     Day 1
>
> > *drumroll*
>
> >    Ikki Tousen!
>
> Day 3
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Vandread
>
> (still not impressed after the first three)

No reason to be. Much of anime has been rendered either too cheap to
be good for the audience or unlicenseable at current costs...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 24, 2008, 8:07:22 PM12/24/08
On Dec 24, 9:18 am, D B Malmquist <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-

rcn.rcn> wrote:
> Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>
> > Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > >     Day 1
>
> > > *drumroll*
>
> > >    Ikki Tousen!
>
> > Day 3
>
> > *drumroll*
>
> > Vandread
>
> > (still not impressed after the first three)
>
> Somebody also found this image, for "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone" on
> Funimation's servers:
>
> http://www4.funimation.com/video/images/shows/evangelion.jpg
>
> Source -http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-24/funimation-adds-vandr...

Gotta think that's either tomorrow or December 31st.

Mike (Massive gamble by Funi either way.)

D B Malmquist

Dec 24, 2008, 8:42:34 PM12/24/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Day 1
> >
> > *drumroll*
> >
> > Ikki Tousen!
> >

> Day 3
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Vandread
>
> (still not impressed after the first three)

I'll buy "Oh! Edo Rocket!", as will a few others here I believe (Rob?)
It's one of Dave Baranyi's favorites.

-dbm

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 25, 2008, 4:45:37 AM12/25/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 4

*drumroll*

Nabari no Ou

Bobby Clark

Dec 25, 2008, 11:44:52 AM12/25/08

"D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in message

> Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>>
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Day 1
>> >
>> > *drumroll*
>> >
>> > Ikki Tousen!
>> >

>> Day 3
>>
>> *drumroll*
>>
>> Vandread
>>
>> (still not impressed after the first three)
>
> Somebody also found this image, for "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone"
> on
> Funimation's servers:
>
> http://www4.funimation.com/video/images/shows/evangelion.jpg

They must be reading this group. The link is dead now.

Bobby

Bobby Clark

Dec 25, 2008, 11:43:36 AM12/25/08

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

I liked it. The animation quality is good. The story has an ok ending. The
Genon dub was top notch. The story can be slow at moments,
but I found it to be worth my time.

Bobby

> Arnold Kim

Jim diGriz

Dec 25, 2008, 1:44:46 PM12/25/08
On 24 Dec 2008 21:16:51 GMT, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:52:25 +0000, Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>> Vandread
I have to admit, Vandread is one of my all time favourites.

>> (still not impressed after the first three)
>
> Ikki Tousen is interesting to me only inasmuch as it's a parody of The
> Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Unfortunately it isn't a good parody.
>
> I haven't seen Gad Guard.
>
> On the other hand, Vandread is a heck of a lot better than it has any
> right being. It's a harem comedy setup that never turns into a harem
> comedy. It's a mishmash of stereotypes turned on their collective ears
> and the result actually works.

And they had a shipboard reality tv show (Dita+Hibiki) way before the
concept of reality tv shows came about.

JdG

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 25, 2008, 3:00:37 PM12/25/08
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:44am-0600, Bobby Clark <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net>:

> "D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in message
> > Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> >> Day 3
> >>
> >> *drumroll*
> >>
> >> Vandread
> >>
> >> (still not impressed after the first three)
> >
> > Somebody also found this image, for "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone"
> > on
> > Funimation's servers:
> >
> > http://www4.funimation.com/video/images/shows/evangelion.jpg
>
> They must be reading this group. The link is dead now.

Still there.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Rob Kelk

Dec 25, 2008, 3:07:48 PM12/25/08
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:42:34 -0500, D B Malmquist
<d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:

>Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>>
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Day 1
>> >
>> > *drumroll*
>> >
>> > Ikki Tousen!
>> >

>> Day 3
>>
>> *drumroll*
>>
>> Vandread
>>
>> (still not impressed after the first three)
>
>I'll buy "Oh! Edo Rocket!", as will a few others here I believe (Rob?)

Yep!

I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the non-fast-forwardable
ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's forcing me to sit in
front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or, for that matter, nobody's
forcing me to have the TV even turned on while the DVD loads.

>It's one of Dave Baranyi's favorites.

The Wanderer

Dec 25, 2008, 9:32:31 PM12/25/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:42:34 -0500, D B Malmquist
> <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:

>> I'll buy "Oh! Edo Rocket!", as will a few others here I believe
>> (Rob?)
>
> Yep!
>
> I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the
> non-fast-forwardable ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's
> forcing me to sit in front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or,
> for that matter, nobody's forcing me to have the TV even turned on
> while the DVD loads.

For that matter, nobody's forcing you to watch the DVD on a TV - I
generally watch on my computer, for reasons not excluding the fact that
I can skip the menus entirely and just play the video directly.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 26, 2008, 5:20:35 AM12/26/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 5: Last Exile

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 26, 2008, 7:53:28 AM12/26/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:
> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Day 1
>>
>> *drumroll*
>>
>> Ikki Tousen!
>>

> Day 5: Last Exile

Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
license to an already-released show like that one?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Dec 26, 2008, 7:54:10 AM12/26/08
The Wanderer <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Rob Kelk wrote:
>> I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the
>> non-fast-forwardable ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's
>> forcing me to sit in front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or,
>> for that matter, nobody's forcing me to have the TV even turned on
>> while the DVD loads.
>
> For that matter, nobody's forcing you to watch the DVD on a TV - I
> generally watch on my computer, for reasons not excluding the fact
> that I can skip the menus entirely and just play the video directly.

Same here. Plus, my TV (when I still had one) had a 15" screen or
something like that, while I have a 21" monitor on my computer.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Rob Kelk

Dec 26, 2008, 11:11:27 AM12/26/08
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Day 1
>>>
>>> *drumroll*
>>>
>>> Ikki Tousen!
>>>

>> Day 5: Last Exile
>>

> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
>license to an already-released show like that one?

So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they actually
wanted...?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/

"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)
"When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear
of childishness and the desire to be very grown-up." - C.S. Lewis

Bobby Clark

Dec 26, 2008, 11:27:15 AM12/26/08

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message

> Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:44am-0600, Bobby Clark <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net>:
>

>> "D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in message

>> > Somebody also found this image, for "Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not]
>> > Alone"
>> > on
>> > Funimation's servers:
>> >
>> > http://www4.funimation.com/video/images/shows/evangelion.jpg
>>
>> They must be reading this group. The link is dead now.
>>

> Still there.

I am getting a page cannot be found. Will try from another location.

Bobby

Bobby Clark

Dec 26, 2008, 11:31:45 AM12/26/08

"Rob Kelk" <rob...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> <sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Giovanni Wassen wrote:

>>> Day 5: Last Exile
>>>

>> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
>>license to an already-released show like that one?
>
> So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
> licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they actually
> wanted...?

When the economy lifts, they will have a portfolio of top notch shows. All
of the new kids comming up, won't know that they had been prevouly released.
Also fodder for the Funimation channel or you tube releases. I bet they
got them all for a song at this point. One thing is sure that Funimation
has some sort of a plan for the long term.

Bobby

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 26, 2008, 1:43:11 PM12/26/08

Itchy toes >>>>>> Ikki Toes >>>>>> Ikkitousen, which was the first
of the licenses . . .

I'm guessing "icky toes" would've been too obvious . . .

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 26, 2008, 3:12:09 PM12/26/08
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>Giovanni Wassen wrote:
>> Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Day 1
>>>
>>> *drumroll*
>>>
>>> Ikki Tousen!
>>>

>> Day 5: Last Exile
>>

> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
>license to an already-released show like that one?

Funimation Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, IFC, ImaginAsian TV,
maybe even Sci-Fi Channel . . .

Heck, there's that Blu-Ray thing . . .

Derek Janssen

Dec 26, 2008, 3:51:05 PM12/26/08
D B Malmquist wrote:

> I'll buy "Oh! Edo Rocket!", as will a few others here I believe (Rob?)
> It's one of Dave Baranyi's favorites.

It's all-out stylistic gag comedy with a "serious" plot to string it along--
Which means it doesn't have *quite* the warmth of a Sgt. Frog or
Wallflower, and can't mix its drama as well as Kodocha, but more of a
cold "Last episodes of Excel Saga" mix of mechanical gag (and a growing
emphasis on fourth-wall anime-studio jokes) with self-recriminatingly
"Drama" episodes...

A fun ride, although I'll pass on the buy. :)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Derek Janssen

Dec 26, 2008, 3:52:44 PM12/26/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 12:52:02 -0500, D B Malmquist
> <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:
>>
>>Any guesses about these?
>>
>>http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/747fG477414.jpg
>>
>> Hey Katie!
>>
>> You'll never guess who was
>> at the party last night.
>>
>> Your EX!
>>
>> I'll tell you more about it in person. He was
>> asking about you! Ha!
>>
>> Beth.
>>
>>http://www.funimation.com/NewShowAGoGo/a7ddhwjuv81.jpg
>>
>> Bob,
>>
>> Hope that poison ivy cleared up.
>> Hate to think you're walking
>> around with itchy toes!
>
> Itchy toes >>>>>> Ikki Toes >>>>>> Ikkitousen, which was the first
> of the licenses . . .
>
> I'm guessing "icky toes" would've been too obvious . . .

Great to hear from LAST night's EX!--I'LL pass on it, though...

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Gerardo Campos

Dec 27, 2008, 12:25:10 AM12/27/08
"Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote on Fri 26 Dec 2008
10:27:15a:

> "S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message
>> Thu, 25 Dec 2008 10:44am-0600, Bobby Clark
>> <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net>:
>>

>>> "D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in
>>> message news:49526EE0...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn...

>>> They must be reading this group. The link is dead now.
>>>

>> Still there.
>
> I am getting a page cannot be found. Will try from another location.

I also get a page cannot be found, probably you need to access it from an
actual HTML page.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 27, 2008, 2:11:06 AM12/27/08
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:11:27 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
><sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Giovanni Wassen wrote:

>>> Day 5: Last Exile
>>>

>> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
>>license to an already-released show like that one?
>
>So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
>licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they actually
>wanted...?

I don't recall anybody else licensing Nabari no Ou, a.k.a. "Day 4"

Dave Watson

Dec 27, 2008, 9:09:43 AM12/27/08
Day 6:

Oh! Edo Rocket (http://www.funimation.com/ohedorocket/).

I know at least one person who's going to be on this one like scum on
Fox News.

Watson.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 27, 2008, 12:43:36 PM12/27/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>>So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
>>licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they
>>actually wanted...?
>
> I don't recall anybody else licensing Nabari no Ou, a.k.a. "Day 4"

I did.

Rob Kelk

Dec 27, 2008, 1:58:33 PM12/27/08

Thank you *so* much for comparing me to scum... and, worse, for
comparing Oh! Edo Rocket to Fox News. </mock-upset>

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 27, 2008, 5:36:21 PM12/27/08
On 27 Dec 2008 17:43:36 GMT, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>>So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
>>>licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they
>>>actually wanted...?
>>
>> I don't recall anybody else licensing Nabari no Ou, a.k.a. "Day 4"
>
>I did.

You recall someone else licensing it, or you licensed it yourself?

Rob Kelk

Dec 27, 2008, 7:01:53 PM12/27/08
On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:11:06 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:11:27 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
>><sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>>> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
>>>license to an already-released show like that one?
>>
>>So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
>>licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they actually
>>wanted...?
>
> I don't recall anybody else licensing Nabari no Ou, a.k.a. "Day 4"
>. . .

Sorry, I had the Nabari no Ou anime confused with the manga (which Yen
Press has licenced). My bad...

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 27, 2008, 8:01:45 PM12/27/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> On 27 Dec 2008 17:43:36 GMT, Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> I don't recall anybody else licensing Nabari no Ou, a.k.a. "Day 4"
>>
>>I did.
>
> You recall someone else licensing it, or you licensed it yourself?

Oh, wooh, I really need to read more carefully, sorry, never mind :)

Dave Watson

Dec 28, 2008, 5:46:59 AM12/28/08
Day 7:

Count of Monte Cristo (www.funimation.com/countofmontecristo)

There's one I'll be waiting to buy the original Geneon singles of
cheap from Right Stuf.

Watson.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 28, 2008, 8:04:42 AM12/28/08
Gerardo Campos <mac...@mx1.ibm.com> wrote:

>>> Still there.
>>
>> I am getting a page cannot be found. Will try from another location.
>>

> I also get a page cannot be found, probably you need to access it from
> an actual HTML page.

Or they actually removed the picture.

AstroNerdBoy

Dec 29, 2008, 3:29:45 AM12/29/08
On Dec 25, 1:07 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 20:42:34 -0500, D B Malmquist
>

> <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:
> >Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> >> Day 3
>
> >> *drumroll*
>
> >> Vandread
>
> >> (still not impressed after the first three)
>
> >I'll buy "Oh! Edo Rocket!", as will a few others here I believe (Rob?)
>
> Yep!
>
> I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the non-fast-forwardable
> ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's forcing me to sit in
> front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or, for that matter, nobody's
> forcing me to have the TV even turned on while the DVD loads.

I'm surprised you guys aren't versed on how to skip FUNimation's ads
since it has long been known how to do this (years in fact). You
simply press the "Title" button on your remote control and that takes
you right to the main menu.

-ANB

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime & Manga Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

AstroNerdBoy

Dec 29, 2008, 3:31:06 AM12/29/08
On Dec 26, 9:31 am, "Bobby Clark" <bclark@REMOVE3_airmail.net> wrote:
> "Rob Kelk" <robk...@deadspam.com> wrote in message

> > On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:53:28 -0500, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
> > <seaw...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

> >> Hmm. I already have the full series on DVD. Why would Funi want the
> >>license to an already-released show like that one?
>
> > So far, they've *all* been re-licences. Maybe Funi was required to
> > licence and release some older shows in order to get shows they actually
> > wanted...?
>
> When the economy lifts, they will have a portfolio of top notch shows. All
> of the new kids comming up, won't know that they had been prevouly released.
> Also fodder for the Funimation channel or you tube releases.   I bet they
> got them all for a song at this point.  One thing is sure that Funimation
> has some sort of a plan for the long term.
>
> Bobby

Two words -- FUNimation Channel.

Derek Janssen

Dec 29, 2008, 4:20:47 AM12/29/08

Or simply Stop, and then turn on again with Menu button.

Derek Janssen (who no longer has to watch that weird CGI thing while
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Watson

Dec 29, 2008, 7:39:37 AM12/29/08
Day 8:

Slayers Revolution (http://www.funimation.com/slayersrevolution).

(* Checks page marker.) The regular TV cast plus a bizarre-looking
mascot type thing (which will probably be parodied something awful).
Watch us get charged more than $40 for all 13 episodes on two discs.

Watson
Who believes that the elephant in the room will be properly unveiled
on the 31st.

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 12:48:19 PM12/29/08
On Dec 29, 12:31 am, AstroNerdBoy <astronerd...@astronerdboy.com>
wrote:

> Two words -- FUNimation Channel.

Two more -- digital distro.

For example, today's Slayers Revolution announcement is designed for a
2009 digital release, with a full-season DVD release in 2010. (HA!)

If Navarre Corporation doesn't collapse in early 2009, there won't be
a DVD release of this or much of any other title, as costs have to be
cut to keep Navarre afloat.

Now, if Navarre were to slash everything _but_ Funimation...

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2008, 12:49:53 PM12/29/08

Still, this is a quality title for some people -- some people have
actually been waiting for this announcement (and Count of Monte
Cristo) for some time.

Not like about the first half-dozen...

Shall I assume this elephant mustn't run away?

Mike

Rob Kelk

Dec 29, 2008, 1:08:41 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:29:45 -0800 (PST), AstroNerdBoy
<astron...@astronerdboy.com> wrote:

>On Dec 25, 1:07=A0pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

<snip>

>> I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the non-fast-forwardable
>> ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's forcing me to sit in
>> front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or, for that matter, nobody's
>> forcing me to have the TV even turned on while the DVD loads.
>
>I'm surprised you guys aren't versed on how to skip FUNimation's ads
>since it has long been known how to do this (years in fact). You
>simply press the "Title" button on your remote control and that takes
>you right to the main menu.

Samsung doesn't put "Title" buttons on their remotes.

Nick

Dec 29, 2008, 1:59:40 PM12/29/08

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:08:41 GMT, in rec.arts.anime.misc,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:29:45 -0800 (PST), AstroNerdBoy
><astron...@astronerdboy.com> wrote:
>
>>On Dec 25, 1:07=A0pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>> I'm not going to be happy about non-skippable the non-fast-forwardable
>>> ads before the main menu, but at lesat nobody's forcing me to sit in
>>> front of the TV while a FUNi DVD loads... or, for that matter, nobody's
>>> forcing me to have the TV even turned on while the DVD loads.
>>
>>I'm surprised you guys aren't versed on how to skip FUNimation's ads
>>since it has long been known how to do this (years in fact). You
>>simply press the "Title" button on your remote control and that takes
>>you right to the main menu.
>
>Samsung doesn't put "Title" buttons on their remotes.

Don't they have some sort of 'skip ahead' or 'next' button or something that
lets you skip to the next segment? I use that constantly to skip watching
the same opening titles and closing credits episode after episode, and it
also works great for skipping past the ads, trailers, logo sequences, etc.
when you first load a DVD.

I know some DVDs disable DVD player functions that let you skip or
fast-forward past their opening garbage, but on most of the anime DVDs I
watch there's no problem bypassing things.

You might want to check your DVD player's manual, in case there's some
function you're overlooking or the button you need has some weird name;
seems odd to me that a remote wouldn't have something as basic as a way to
skip ahead to the next segment.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Rob Kelk

Dec 29, 2008, 2:28:37 PM12/29/08
On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:59:40 GMT, Nick <tans...@pobox.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:08:41 GMT, in rec.arts.anime.misc,
>rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 00:29:45 -0800 (PST), AstroNerdBoy
>><astron...@astronerdboy.com> wrote:
>>
>>>On Dec 25, 1:07=A0pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>>
>><snip>

>>>I'm surprised you guys aren't versed on how to skip FUNimation's ads
>>>since it has long been known how to do this (years in fact). You
>>>simply press the "Title" button on your remote control and that takes
>>>you right to the main menu.
>>
>>Samsung doesn't put "Title" buttons on their remotes.
>
>Don't they have some sort of 'skip ahead' or 'next' button or something that
>lets you skip to the next segment?

Yes, they do. Trying to use the ">> >>" button and the "menu" button was
how I discovered Funi's intro ads are non-skippable, and trying to use
the ">>" button was how I discovered they're non-fast-forwardable, too.

> I use that constantly to skip watching
>the same opening titles and closing credits episode after episode, and it
>also works great for skipping past the ads, trailers, logo sequences, etc.
>when you first load a DVD.
>
>I know some DVDs disable DVD player functions that let you skip or
>fast-forward past their opening garbage, but on most of the anime DVDs I
>watch there's no problem bypassing things.

Most anime DVDs allow skipping the opening garbage, yes. Geneon's all
do. ADV's do. Bandai Entertainemnt's do. AN Entertainment's do. Heck,
even Viz gets this one right. Funi's are the exception (along with some
of AnimEigo's); they're among the DVDs that disable player functions
that let you skip or fast-forward past their opening garbage.

>You might want to check your DVD player's manual, in case there's some
>function you're overlooking or the button you need has some weird name;
>seems odd to me that a remote wouldn't have something as basic as a way to
>skip ahead to the next segment.

Skipping ahead isn't a problem for most of the disc. It's just the
"opening garbage" that Funi won't let me skip or fast-forward past.

D B Malmquist

Dec 29, 2008, 4:35:58 PM12/29/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 06:09:43 -0800 (PST), Dave Watson
> <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Day 6:
> >
> >Oh! Edo Rocket (http://www.funimation.com/ohedorocket/).
> >
> >I know at least one person who's going to be on this one like scum on
> >Fox News.
>
> Thank you *so* much for comparing me to scum... and, worse, for
> comparing Oh! Edo Rocket to Fox News. </mock-upset>

Do you actually get Fox News up there? (Genuinely curious)

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Dec 29, 2008, 4:44:16 PM12/29/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Dec 29, 4:39 am, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Day 8:
> >
> > Slayers Revolution (http://www.funimation.com/slayersrevolution).
> >
> > (* Checks page marker.) The regular TV cast plus a bizarre-looking
> > mascot type thing (which will probably be parodied something awful).
> > Watch us get charged more than $40 for all 13 episodes on two discs.
> >
> > Watson
> > Who believes that the elephant in the room will be properly unveiled
> > on the 31st.
>
> Still, this is a quality title for some people

<nod> Apparently the re-released "Slayers" DVD sets have been selling
quite well despite the age of the franchise:

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/10/08/2008-blockbusters-revealed/
http://www.animenation.net/blog/2008/07/09/ask-john-will-slayers-revolution-come-to-america/

-dbm

D B Malmquist

Dec 29, 2008, 4:49:42 PM12/29/08
Dave Watson wrote:

> Day 8:
>
> Slayers Revolution (http://www.funimation.com/slayersrevolution).
>
> (* Checks page marker.) The regular TV cast plus a bizarre-looking
> mascot type thing (which will probably be parodied something awful).
> Watch us get charged more than $40 for all 13 episodes on two discs.

More details here:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-29/funimation-adds-slayers-revolution-fantasy-anime-sequel

Both the 13 episodes of "Revolution" and the upcoming 13 episodes of
"Evolution-R" are licensed.

"Digital release" in 2009; DVDs in 2010.

-dbm

Derek Janssen

Dec 29, 2008, 4:30:45 PM12/29/08
D B Malmquist wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Dec 29, 4:39 am, Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Day 8:
>>>
>>>Slayers Revolution (http://www.funimation.com/slayersrevolution).
>>>
>>>(* Checks page marker.) The regular TV cast plus a bizarre-looking
>>>mascot type thing (which will probably be parodied something awful).
>>>Watch us get charged more than $40 for all 13 episodes on two discs.
>>>
>>>Watson
>>>Who believes that the elephant in the room will be properly unveiled
>>>on the 31st.
>>
>>Still, this is a quality title for some people
>

> <nod> Apparently the re-released "Slayers" DVD sets have been selling
> quite well despite the age of the franchise:

And, unlike other Slayers resurrections (ahemTryNagaPremium), this one
feels like it jumped straight off of "Next"'s 90's vibe without a
chronological jump. :)

Confirmation still missing, however, as to whether Funi licensed just
Revolution S1, or has an option on Evolution-R, which could slow things
down until after the latter actually *airs*...

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

D B Malmquist

Dec 29, 2008, 5:39:32 PM12/29/08

Rob Kelk

Dec 29, 2008, 7:43:58 PM12/29/08

I have "rabbit ears", so I don't even get the Canadian cable channels
such as YTV and TeleToon. But I recall seeing Fox on the list of
available channels when visiting folks who'd rather spend money on cable
than anime...

Travers Naran

Dec 29, 2008, 7:58:37 PM12/29/08
Rob Kelk wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:35:58 -0500, D B Malmquist
> <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:
>> Do you actually get Fox News up there? (Genuinely curious)
>
> I have "rabbit ears", so I don't even get the Canadian cable channels
> such as YTV and TeleToon. But I recall seeing Fox on the list of
> available channels when visiting folks who'd rather spend money on cable
> than anime...

We get Fox News up here, but, last I checked, it was an optional
subscription for like $3/month.

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

D B Malmquist

Dec 30, 2008, 2:00:50 AM12/30/08
"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 9

*drumroll*

Gungrave!

http://www.funimation.com/gungrave/

Another Geneon license rescue. That's 3 new licenses and 6
license rescues so far.

-dbm

Dave Watson

Dec 30, 2008, 2:24:31 AM12/30/08
On Dec 29, 4:35 pm, D B Malmquist <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-

We do, with certain cable/satellite packages. As if having a
heartless right-wing dickhead running this country under a minority
government here wasn't bad enough.

Watson
Stompin' Tom Connors for Prime Minister!

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2008, 3:34:42 AM12/30/08
On Dec 29, 11:00 pm, D B Malmquist <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-
rcn.rcn> wrote:

> Day 9
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Gungrave!
>
> http://www.funimation.com/gungrave/
>
> Another Geneon license rescue.  That's 3 new licenses and 6
> license rescues so far.

Curiouser and curiouser. People were thinking they would get Soul
Eater AND Eva 1.0 -- now, do you even get one?

Mike (Probably Soul Eater if either -- if Funi licenses Eva 1.0, how
much money did Navarre put into that license?)

Nick

Dec 30, 2008, 7:18:45 AM12/30/08

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:28:37 GMT, in rec.arts.anime.misc,
rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

>Skipping ahead isn't a problem for most of the disc. It's just the
>"opening garbage" that Funi won't let me skip or fast-forward past.

Faulty memory on my part. :(

I just tried a Funimation DVD, and the only way to bypass the extras is to
use the 'top menu' button on my Sony's remote. As you said, the 'skip' and
'fast-forward' buttons are disabled.

Sorry about that.

--
Nick <mailto:tans...@pobox.com>

Prove your manhood: flame a newbie today!
<That's sarcasm, folks...>

OAK

Dec 30, 2008, 1:23:57 PM12/30/08

"heartless right-wing dickhead running country", seems to describe most
nations these days, maybe excluding Scandinavia.

OAK

Arnold Kim

Dec 30, 2008, 6:31:35 PM12/30/08

"D B Malmquist" <d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote in message

Finally a title I'm genuinely interested in!

Arnold Kim

Aje RavenStar

Dec 30, 2008, 7:48:14 PM12/30/08

"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

A quick comment, something that occured to me due to the wonder about the
first part of this group being older series -

Is Funimation taking these older show licenses to have a lock on
distribution rights for the Blu-ray releases of same?

D B Malmquist

Dec 31, 2008, 1:48:02 AM12/31/08
"Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:

> Day 1
>
> *drumroll*
>
> Ikki Tousen!

Day 10

*drumroll*

Samurai Champloo

http://www.funimation.com/samuraichamploo/

Another license rescue!? No "Soul Eater" or "Evangelion"?

I can see why somebody would like to put this title back into production,
given that it was broadcast on TV not too long ago, but this makes
7 license rescues vs. 3 new licenses, only one of which -- "Slayers" --
is likely a top-tier title.

-dbm (Planning on getting "Slayers" and "Oh Edo Rocket", so it's not a
loss for me at least.)

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 1:50:22 AM12/31/08
On Dec 30, 10:48 pm, D B Malmquist <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-

rcn.rcn> wrote:
> "Antonio E. Gonzalez" wrote:
>
> >     Day 1
>
> > *drumroll*
>
> >    Ikki Tousen!
>
>    Day 10
>
> *drumroll*
>
>    Samurai Champloo
>
> http://www.funimation.com/samuraichamploo/
>
> Another license rescue!?  No "Soul Eater" or "Evangelion"?
>
> I can see why somebody would like to put this title back into production,
> given that it was broadcast on TV not too long ago, but this makes
> 7 license rescues vs. 3 new licenses, only one of which -- "Slayers" --
> is likely a top-tier title.

Possibility that Count of Monte Cristo might be worth something, but,
otherwise... Good Lord -- and you guys still want to think this all
is a good sign for the anime business in 2009??

"A resounding thud" is more like it.

Mike

D B Malmquist

Dec 31, 2008, 2:32:20 AM12/31/08

Depends on how cheap the licenses were, and whether Funi got the
pre-existing dubs, subtitles and masters. If their costs are
very low, it might be more profitable for Funimation to rescue
older licenses and make them available on-line than to license
entirely new shows.

-dbm

Derek Janssen

Dec 31, 2008, 2:15:49 AM12/31/08
D B Malmquist wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Dec 30, 10:48 pm, D B Malmquist <d.b.malmqu...@com.swap-com-and-
>>rcn.rcn> wrote:

>>> Day 10
>>>
>>>*drumroll*
>>>
>>> Samurai Champloo
>>>
>>>http://www.funimation.com/samuraichamploo/
>>>
>>>Another license rescue!? No "Soul Eater" or "Evangelion"?
>>>
>>>I can see why somebody would like to put this title back into production,
>>>given that it was broadcast on TV not too long ago, but this makes
>>>7 license rescues vs. 3 new licenses, only one of which -- "Slayers" --
>>>is likely a top-tier title.
>>
>>Possibility that Count of Monte Cristo might be worth something, but,
>>otherwise... Good Lord -- and you guys still want to think this all
>>is a good sign for the anime business in 2009??
>

> Depends on

(Uh, DB, *WHAT* did we say about answering Darky posts in the second person?
Stand up in front of the class and remind us...)

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Watson

Dec 31, 2008, 4:01:11 AM12/31/08
At long last, on the awaited Day 10 of FUNimation's New Show a-Go-Go
campaign, the final announced license:

Samurai Champloo.

Huh?

Well, it's not that it's a bad series; in fact, I'm currently watching
the DVD box set that a friend of mine lent me. But if that whole hint
about possibly having Evangelion 1.0 turns out to be wrong in the end,
well, some of us will be wiping some egg from our faces and going
"what the fuck?"

Watson.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 31, 2008, 7:53:42 AM12/31/08

Perhaps he pays no more attention to people attempting to control other
people on the Intarweb Tubes than I do, which is to say, very little at all.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 31, 2008, 7:47:05 AM12/31/08
Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

And sending c&d's regarding Soul Eater was also false alarm.

--
Gio

http://blog.watkijkikoptv.info
http://myanimelist.net/profile/extatix
http://watkijkikoptv.info/animeblog

Derek Janssen

Dec 31, 2008, 11:59:54 AM12/31/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:

> Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>At long last, on the awaited Day 10 of FUNimation's New Show a-Go-Go
>>campaign, the final announced license:
>>
>>Samurai Champloo.
>>
>>Huh?
>>
>>Well, it's not that it's a bad series; in fact, I'm currently watching
>>the DVD box set that a friend of mine lent me. But if that whole hint
>>about possibly having Evangelion 1.0 turns out to be wrong in the end,
>>well, some of us will be wiping some egg from our faces and going
>>"what the fuck?"
>

> And sending c&d's regarding Soul Eater was also false alarm.

Like Seto no Hanayome and the mythical Eva 1.0, I'm assuming they're
saving *some* licenses for the spring HypeCons, Because They Can:

If you've got the unquestioning, zombified Eva fanbase an ex-ADV
licensee *thinks* they do (and lordy, they probably do -_- ), you don't
just sneak it out with ten other listings on New Year's Eve...

Derek Jansesn
eja...@verizon.net

Rob Kelk

Dec 31, 2008, 12:08:12 PM12/31/08
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 02:32:20 -0500, D B Malmquist
<d.b.ma...@com.swap-com-and-rcn.rcn> wrote:

<snip>

>Depends on how cheap the licenses were, and whether Funi got the
>pre-existing dubs, subtitles and masters. If their costs are
>very low, it might be more profitable for Funimation to rescue
>older licenses and make them available on-line than to license
>entirely new shows.

Also keep in mind that this is the off-season for announcing licences.
Does anybody who knows anything about the anime translation industry
seriously expect a major licence to be announced anywhere other than at
a large convention?

While I was expecting Funi to announce more than three new series, I
wasn't expecting any of the new series to be A-list titles...

Jason Bastek

Dec 31, 2008, 2:29:18 PM12/31/08
>>> "GW" == Giovanni Wassen <ext...@gmail.com> writes:

GW> And sending c&d's regarding Soul Eater was also false alarm.

Not so fast! Looks like Soul Eater has indeed been licensed:

funimation.com/souleater

Yatta!

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 31, 2008, 2:40:42 PM12/31/08
Jason Bastek <ja...@panix.com> wrote:

Oh neat. I would buy Soul Eater.

Well, only if they don't put 6/7 episodes on one DVD.

D B Malmquist

Dec 31, 2008, 3:25:00 PM12/31/08

Hmmm, the web site says "Coming Soon" not "Coming in 2009" or
"Coming in 2010" like the others. There's a link to a trailer,
with an English voiceover:

http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=976

The trailer page says "Release Date: November 17, 2009"; I wonder
whether that will be a DVD release date, and digital distribution
might come sooner?

-dbm

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 3:15:29 PM12/31/08

I think you say that about this entire list, short of Monte Cristo and
Slayers Revolution.

This seemed to be just one big commercial for the Geneon rescue plan.

Mike

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 3:17:20 PM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 9:08 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:

> Also keep in mind that this is the off-season for announcing licences.
> Does anybody who knows anything about the anime translation industry
> seriously expect a major licence to be announced anywhere other than at
> a large convention?
>
> While I was expecting Funi to announce more than three new series, I
> wasn't expecting any of the new series to be A-list titles...

Will there be an industry in five or six months, when the larger
conventions start in earnest?

Hell, will there be an American economy left in five or six months??

I think, given present conditions, you would want to have at least one
thunderous splash to let people know you're still going forward...

Mike (... unless your parent company is so damn broke that you can't!)

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 31, 2008, 3:14:37 PM12/31/08
Jason Bastek <ja...@panix.com> wrote:

They even made it official at
http://www.funimation.com/?page=newshowagogo

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 3:36:10 PM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 12:14 pm, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >   GW> And sending c&d's regarding Soul Eater was also false alarm.
>
> > Not so fast!  Looks like Soul Eater has indeed been licensed:
>
> >     funimation.com/souleater
>
> They even made it official athttp://www.funimation.com/?page=newshowagogo

And there's rumor they have room for even one more...

What, they going to announce three today just to get more crap filler
on their schedule that won't sell??

Mike (And I'm talking the Geneon re-licenses -- though I can't see how
even the better ones are going to see that much release unless
something really gives in the economy...)

Farix

Dec 31, 2008, 3:33:50 PM12/31/08

Abso-fucking-licious. I knew it was only a matter of time before SE got
licensed. I just hope Funi will give it a decent dub. Otherwise, I
wasted my effort in avoiding the fansubs of this series. Now comes the
dilemma of whether to buy the individual sets or waiting for the box
set. I guess it depends on the quality of the artbox that is put out
with the first set.

Farix

Farix

Dec 31, 2008, 3:41:42 PM12/31/08

I hope that narrator isn't going to be on the cast. -_-;

Farix

D B Malmquist

Dec 31, 2008, 5:00:39 PM12/31/08

If we're really lucky, that will be the voice of Shinigami-sama.

-dbm

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 31, 2008, 6:53:28 PM12/31/08
darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Dec 31, 9:08 am, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
>
>> Also keep in mind that this is the off-season for announcing licences.
>> Does anybody who knows anything about the anime translation industry
>> seriously expect a major licence to be announced anywhere other than at
>> a large convention?
>>
>> While I was expecting Funi to announce more than three new series, I
>> wasn't expecting any of the new series to be A-list titles...
>
> Will there be an industry in five or six months, when the larger
> conventions start in earnest?

Of course there will.

> Hell, will there be an American economy left in five or six months??

Why not? We're having absolutely NOTHING that would even APPROACH the
Great Depression in effect, and even during the Depression the U.S.
economy was STILL the most powerful on Earth, not even CLOSE to
disappearing.

You really have to stop EXAGGERATING your Chicken Littleness.

Dave Watson

Dec 31, 2008, 8:03:35 PM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 3:14 pm, Giovanni Wassen <exta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >   GW> And sending c&d's regarding Soul Eater was also false alarm.
>
> > Not so fast!  Looks like Soul Eater has indeed been licensed:
>
> >     funimation.com/souleater
>
> They even made it official athttp://www.funimation.com/?page=newshowagogo

NOW they've added Evangelion 1.0:

Above page, plus http://www.funimation.com/evangelion/.

Up yours, nay-sayer. I'm partying tonight.

Watson.

Giovanni Wassen

Dec 31, 2008, 8:03:12 PM12/31/08
Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Up yours, nay-sayer. .

I hope you mean darkstar with that :)

Derek Janssen

Dec 31, 2008, 8:28:11 PM12/31/08
Giovanni Wassen wrote:
> Dave Watson <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Up yours, nay-sayer. .
>
> I hope you mean darkstar with that :)

Yes, we mean the guy who spent an entire year explaining how the
industry was "dead", saw four new shows licensed with six old ex-Geneon
resurrections in the same week, *PLUS* the two he wanted to warn us
they'd never get around to, and ultimately had to fall back on "Well,
okay, but...they're not very GOOD ones!" ;)

Derek Janssen (one must scrape together one's self-franchising where one
can get it)
eja...@verizon.net

darkst...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2008, 11:07:10 PM12/31/08
On Dec 31, 5:28 pm, Derek Janssen <ejan...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:
> Giovanni Wassen wrote:
> > Dave Watson <dwbeingupfr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Up yours, nay-sayer.  .
>
> > I hope you mean darkstar with that :)
>
> Yes, we mean the guy who spent an entire year explaining how the
> industry was "dead", saw four new shows licensed with six old ex-Geneon
> resurrections in the same week, *PLUS* the two he wanted to warn us
> they'd never get around to, and ultimately had to fall back on "Well,
> okay, but...they're not very GOOD ones!"  ;)
>
> Derek Janssen (one must scrape together one's self-franchising where one
> can get it)

Again, they have the licenses -- let's see how many of these ever see
release...

Mike (Somewhere, Viz is laughing it's ass off.)

Travers Naran

Dec 31, 2008, 11:51:53 PM12/31/08

I remind you of our little side bet. :-)

From
<http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.arts.anime.misc/msg/c2a83df82e7d7d32?hl=en>:
> Darkstar's bet: By the end of 2009, all the anime companies will have
> gone under
>
> Travers' bet: they will miraculously survive and even begin releasing
> titles in 2009, even ADV.

Funimation seems to have cash on hand from the Dragonball franchise, and
with the withdrawal of major players from the market, there probably
wasn't a bidding war for the new titles.

But here's the elephant in the room: What happened to ADV? ADV
considered Evangelion their flagship title, and they lost a major Eva
license to Funimation. I dunno about the rest of you, but that's the
big news for me!

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com
"Welcome to RAAM. Hope you can take a beating..." -- E.L.L.

Derek Janssen

Jan 1, 2009, 12:02:12 AM1/1/09
Travers Naran wrote:

> darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I remind you of our little side bet. :-)
>
> From
> <http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.arts.anime.misc/msg/c2a83df82e7d7d32?hl=en>:
>
> > Darkstar's bet: By the end of 2009, all the anime companies will have
> > gone under
> >
> > Travers' bet: they will miraculously survive and even begin releasing
> > titles in 2009, even ADV.
>
> Funimation seems to have cash on hand from the Dragonball franchise, and
> with the withdrawal of major players from the market, there probably
> wasn't a bidding war for the new titles.
>
> But here's the elephant in the room: What happened to ADV? ADV
> considered Evangelion their flagship title, and they lost a major Eva
> license to Funimation. I dunno about the rest of you, but that's the
> big news for me!

ADV wanted Eva out of "pride", but Funi had the wherewithal to do
something about it *immediately*, and strike while the mecha was hot--

As for immediate future, ADV's going to be a "cult" company for a while,
with live-action titles and 90's-OVA rescues, but don't *quite* think
they're going down AnimEigo Road quite yet...
Hoping for ADV to get back into the waters anime licensing is a slightly
more realistic pursuit than hoping for AE to get back into anime
licensing, even by '05 standards.

> Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com
> "Welcome to RAAM. Hope you can take a beating..." -- E.L.L.

(We know who can't....) :-D

Derek Janssen
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Watson

Jan 1, 2009, 4:02:35 AM1/1/09
On Dec 31 2008, 11:51 pm, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> darkstar7...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Again, they have the licenses -- let's see how many of these ever see
> > release...
>
> I remind you of our little side bet. :-)
>
>  From
> <http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.arts.anime.misc/msg/c2a83df82e7d7d3...>:

>  > Darkstar's bet: By the end of 2009, all the anime companies will have
>  > gone under
>  >
>  > Travers' bet: they will miraculously survive and even begin releasing
>  > titles in 2009, even ADV.

What are the terms of the bet? If you win, will he finally grab a
clue and fuck off?

Watson.

Travers Naran

Jan 1, 2009, 11:45:56 AM1/1/09

Darkstar is not a troll[1], and I do think he has good reason to believe
anime is in trouble.

The difference between Darkstar's position and mine is that while I
think the anime industry will contract to a smaller set of companies
with less money to make anime, Darkstar believes it will contract to
nothing.

And he's also trying to wake people up to a problem that other people on
other forums are trying to point out: fansubs are turning some people
who would have bought anime into non-buying fans. I am also concerned
about this, the industry is concerned about this, and other fans are
also concerned about this. But for those of us who express this
opinion, we seem to get labelled as "shrill" and told we're full of it.

I am trying to encourage Darkstar to be less pessimistic, but the
massive denial in this group does bug me even more. I guess that makes
me a shrill troll as well. :-)

[1] A troll only wants a reaction--he doesn't really care about the argument

Giovanni Wassen

Jan 1, 2009, 12:16:25 PM1/1/09
Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Darkstar is not a troll[1],

[snip]

> [1] A troll only wants a reaction--he doesn't really care about the
> argument --

He doesn't either.

Invid Fan

Jan 1, 2009, 12:42:16 PM1/1/09
In article <o7Y6l.2370$BC4...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>, Derek Janssen
<eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Travers Naran wrote:
> > darkst...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I remind you of our little side bet. :-)
> >
> > From
> >
> > <http://groups.google.ca/group/rec.arts.anime.misc/msg/c2a83df82e7d7d32?hl=e
> > n>:
> >
> > > Darkstar's bet: By the end of 2009, all the anime companies will have
> > > gone under
> > >
> > > Travers' bet: they will miraculously survive and even begin releasing
> > > titles in 2009, even ADV.
> >
> > Funimation seems to have cash on hand from the Dragonball franchise, and
> > with the withdrawal of major players from the market, there probably
> > wasn't a bidding war for the new titles.
> >
> > But here's the elephant in the room: What happened to ADV? ADV
> > considered Evangelion their flagship title, and they lost a major Eva
> > license to Funimation. I dunno about the rest of you, but that's the
> > big news for me!
>
> ADV wanted Eva out of "pride", but Funi had the wherewithal to do
> something about it *immediately*, and strike while the mecha was hot--

One is reminded of ADV getting BGC 2040 when AnimEigo couldn't come
through with funding...

> As for immediate future, ADV's going to be a "cult" company for a while,
> with live-action titles and 90's-OVA rescues, but don't *quite* think
> they're going down AnimEigo Road quite yet...
> Hoping for ADV to get back into the waters anime licensing is a slightly
> more realistic pursuit than hoping for AE to get back into anime
> licensing, even by '05 standards.

Wouldn't ADV be more likely to just close up or merge then go the way
of AE? ADV isn't really a hobby.

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

Rob Kelk

Jan 1, 2009, 12:48:47 PM1/1/09
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:45:56 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>And he's also trying to wake people up to a problem that other people on
>other forums are trying to point out: fansubs are turning some people
>who would have bought anime into non-buying fans. I am also concerned
>about this, the industry is concerned about this, and other fans are
>also concerned about this. But for those of us who express this
>opinion, we seem to get labelled as "shrill" and told we're full of it.

We dumped him into that category because (a) he refused to provide any
evidence for his claims, and (b) he refused to look at the
counter-evidence we offered against his claims.

So... I'll ask you again what I asked him repeatedly before I finally
killfiled him: What evidence do you have that "fansubs are turning some
people who would have bought anime into non-buying fans"?

There's plenty of evidence that people who would never have bought anime
anyway watch fansubs (anime clubs have many such people in their
memberships). There's also plenty of evidence that fansubs cause people
who wouldn't have bought anime to actually buy anime (anime clubs have
many such people in their memberships as well). But I've never seen any
evidence that fansubs cause someone who would have bought anime to not
buy anime.

>I am trying to encourage Darkstar to be less pessimistic, but the
>massive denial in this group does bug me even more. I guess that makes
>me a shrill troll as well. :-)

Travers, people who request evidence are not in denial; we're skeptical.
You've made a claim; back it up...

<snip>

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As for bootlegging: Every PDF, every book, every film, and every

Dave Watson

Jan 1, 2009, 1:32:38 PM1/1/09
On Jan 1, 12:48 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:45:56 GMT, Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >And he's also trying to wake people up to a problem that other people on
> >other forums are trying to point out:  fansubs are turning some people
> >who would have bought anime into non-buying fans.  I am also concerned
> >about this, the industry is concerned about this, and other fans are
> >also concerned about this.  But for those of us who express this
> >opinion, we seem to get labelled as "shrill" and told we're full of it.
>
> We dumped him into that category because (a) he refused to provide any
> evidence for his claims, and (b) he refused to look at the
> counter-evidence we offered against his claims.

Plus, whenever I asked him quite clearly to take a break from his
usual forte and tell us if there was anything about anime that he
liked--a particular series, artist, whatever--he refused to provide
one single bit. That alone provides a whole lot of evidence of him
being a sad asshole right there. I may complain a lot, but I love to
give props where they're due as well. What proof can you give us that
he actually likes anime at all, and isn't just using this as yet
another forum to try to play Vengeful God's Messenger in, with one
hand on the keyboard?

Watson.

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jan 1, 2009, 2:01:19 PM1/1/09

No, what makes him a troll is that he never addresses any actual points
made against him, just repeating (really, truly) meaningless numbers as
though repeating the same stuff more loudly will address the points.

In his current spasm, he's implying the End of America, too.

Travers Naran

Jan 1, 2009, 2:43:11 PM1/1/09
Rob Kelk wrote:
> Travers, people who request evidence are not in denial; we're skeptical.
> You've made a claim; back it up...

I do, then you dismiss the numbers.

<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.anime.misc/msg/185b187e6e65e31c?hl=en>

"> Already I'm up to 1.1 million. And that's just a couple sites.

However, the way you are using those numbers is flawed. those are
"page views" not necessarily the same thing as watching the entire
episode. yes, people view the episodes that way..."

Then I get backed up by people who know later on:

<http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-11-21/dattebayo-to-stop-fansubbing-naruto-on-january-15>

"... an episode of Naruto Shippūden would get 450,000 downloads from
Dattebayo in its first week."

We go out of our way to provide facts and numbers, but instead we get

"... he never addresses any actual points made against him, just

repeating (really, truly) meaningless numbers as though repeating the
same stuff more loudly will address the points."

You guys never reply with facts -- just supposition based on your beliefs.

You're not skeptical because a skeptic would take a fact, find an
objective reason to accept/reject it and present an argument that would
cause other reasonable people to accept it. Now I can see from your
point of view that you believe you presented a reasonable argument, but
I didn't find anyone's argument reasonable or even verified by reality.

As for Darkstar, he has another point of view which you completely miss:

There's a _moral_ obligation to pay for things you enjoy. He isn't even
arguing if the leechers would have ever paid for anime; he's saying that
from a moral point of view, if you enjoyed anime you should have paid
for it. Unless the producer specifically signs something saying it's OK
to watch a fansub, you are not respecting that owner's intellectual
property. I've yet to see anyone address his point on that.

As I've said, I've taken my conversations to private e-mail with
Darkstar because I find our conversations more productive. I can see
his point of view, and I do argue that anime will continue to exist and
the companies will exist, but it will be a smaller market.

But I represent a position somewhere in the middle: I am OK with the
concept of fansub, but I am very bothered by a generation that has grown
up thinking of anime as an entitlement and get all angry and upset (as
the Crunchyroll forums indicate) if their free anime is to be replaced
with something they should pay for. I'm old fashioned and think that if
you enjoy something, you should pay for it as a moral obligation. I'm
part of the old school of fansub fans that went out and bought the DVDs
for any fansub series I enjoyed.

Yet I've seen insanely popular series have luck luster sales. Kodocha
barely shifted off the shelves! Are you saying that the apparent
popularity of this series was an illusion?

From <http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=457739>:

FUNiRepBlue (one of FUNImation's staffers):
"That would do it! There's a lot of us in the office that are fans of
the show but in the end you still need the sales. It's strange as there
seems to be a big fan following but the performance in selling is low.
So unfortunately the second season is not picked up, but at the same
time it allows us to go after some of the more expensive shows like
Ouran Host Club and One Piece.

"You guys are correct, at the end of the day it's the unit sales that
would keep a show alive and kicking. If Kodocha sales were to
drastically go up, I know they would be able to re-consider the next
season."

So was FUNImation lying that Kodocha didn't sell well? And if you have
any other explanation for this dichotomy, I'd like to see even anecdotal
evidence, please.

Derek Janssen

Jan 1, 2009, 3:28:11 PM1/1/09
Travers Naran wrote:

> Dave Watson wrote:

>>> I remind you of our little side bet. :-)
>>>
>>> From

>> What are the terms of the bet? If you win, will he finally grab a
>> clue and fuck off?
>
> Darkstar is not a troll[1]

He's an Innovator!
He keeps the Trains Running On Time!
He was Governor of Alaska!
Darkstar is A Very Spiritual Man! ;)

Derek Janssen (<bumper sticker> "Darkstar Did Not Do Drugs")
eja...@verizon.net

It is loading more messages.