Bang.

1 view

Glenn Shaw

Sep 20, 2008, 11:00:24 PM9/20/08
And so ends Toonami, after an incredible 11-year run.

Thanks, TOM. You will be missed.

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
... who wouldn't have gotten into Gundam if it weren't for Toonami....

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 21, 2008, 4:35:15 AM9/21/08
On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:00:24 -0500, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast>
wrote:

>And so ends Toonami, after an incredible 11-year run.
>
>Thanks, TOM. You will be missed.

Ummm, did I miss something?

The schedule's teh same next week . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

DBBrandell

Sep 21, 2008, 5:14:24 AM9/21/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 22:00:24 -0500, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast>
> wrote:
>
>> And so ends Toonami, after an incredible 11-year run.
>>
>> Thanks, TOM. You will be missed.
>
> Ummm, did I miss something?
>
> The schedule's teh same next week . . .

Here's the jist of it:

Headline, "Cartoon Network to End Toonami on October 20 (Updated)"

sub-head, "Programing block ends 11-year run with Naruto as only anime
on schedule"

"America's Cartoon Network has revealed at Georgia's Anime Weekend
Atlanta convention this morning that it will end its Toonami programming
block tonight after 11 years. ... "

Then some stuff that there would be an official announcement Satureday
night, a list of shows that had run on Toonami since 1997, Jetstream
will still be running, and CN is trying to get Demashitaa! Powerpuft
Girls Z.

Did anyone see the "official announcement?" I didn't catch anything
before Bleach. If you did, was it anything worth mentioning?

Just curious.

Links to ANN story:

preview tinyurl
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3osmhj

http://tinyurl.com/3osmhj

www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-09-20/cartoon-network-to-reportedly-end-toonami-tonight

DBB

Glenn Shaw

Sep 21, 2008, 12:35:59 PM9/21/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:14:24 -0600, DBBrandell wrote:

> Did anyone see the "official announcement?" I didn't catch anything
> before Bleach. If you did, was it anything worth mentioning?

The official announcement occured right after Samurai Jack's credits
rolled. TOM, in a melancholy voice, announced that, after 11 years,
Toonami was shutting down, with his robot comrades initiating a "final
shutdown sequence" with a 20-second countdown. At the end, TOM thanked
all the fans for their support, said "See you later", and flew off into
the sunset.

TOM's last word: "Bang". Fitting, given TOM's VA and his most famous
anime role. :)

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA

... see you later, Space Cowboy....

Brian Christiansen

Sep 21, 2008, 1:18:53 PM9/21/08
> Then some stuff that there would be an official announcement Satureday
> night, a list of shows that had run on Toonami since 1997, Jetstream
> will still be running, and CN is trying to get Demashitaa! Powerpuft
> Girls Z.

"Trying to get?" I though CN at least partially financed it and owned the
copyright (or trademark or whatever) to the powerpuff girls.

Brian Christiansen

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 21, 2008, 5:28:43 PM9/21/08
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:35:59 -0500, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:14:24 -0600, DBBrandell wrote:

>> Did anyone see the "official announcement?" I didn't catch anything
>> before Bleach. If you did, was it anything worth mentioning?
>
>The official announcement occured right after Samurai Jack's credits
>rolled. TOM, in a melancholy voice, announced that, after 11 years,
>Toonami was shutting down, with his robot comrades initiating a "final
>shutdown sequence" with a 20-second countdown. At the end, TOM thanked
>all the fans for their support, said "See you later", and flew off into
>the sunset.

This seems *way* too sudden; notice he said "until we meet again" .
. .

>TOM's last word: "Bang". Fitting, given TOM's VA and his most famous
>anime role. :)

That was almost too perfect!

--
- ReFlex 76

Invid Fan

Sep 21, 2008, 7:26:02 PM9/21/08
In article <IkvBk.710$Ei5...@flpi143.ffdc.sbc.com>, Brian Christiansen
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

WB expects their companies to bid against each other for projects, plus
unless the US rights were part of the Japanese licensing deal this
would be no different then buying any other show. Hell, it may be WB
expected PPG Z to flop so took the money and ran :)

--
Chris Mack *quote under construction*
'Invid Fan'

darkst...@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2008, 1:19:50 AM9/22/08
On Sep 21, 2:28 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:35:59 -0500, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:14:24 -0600, DBBrandell wrote:
>
> >> Did anyone see the "official announcement?"  I didn't catch anything
> >> before Bleach.  If you did, was it anything worth mentioning?
>
> >The official announcement occured right after Samurai Jack's credits
> >rolled. TOM, in a melancholy voice, announced that, after 11 years,
> >Toonami was shutting down, with his robot comrades initiating a "final
> >shutdown sequence" with a 20-second countdown. At the end, TOM thanked
> >all the fans for their support, said "See you later", and flew off into
> >the sunset.
>
>   This seems *way* too sudden; notice he said "until we meet again" .

The public didn't even know it until *that day*, at the CN panel at
Anime Weekend Atlanta.

Makes me wonder how long this decision has been in the pipe.

Mike

Rob Kelk

Sep 22, 2008, 8:19:18 AM9/22/08
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:14:24 -0600, DBBrandell wrote:

>> Did anyone see the "official announcement?" I didn't catch anything
>> before Bleach. If you did, was it anything worth mentioning?
>
>The official announcement occured right after Samurai Jack's credits
>rolled. TOM, in a melancholy voice, announced that, after 11 years,
>Toonami was shutting down, with his robot comrades initiating a "final
>shutdown sequence" with a 20-second countdown. At the end, TOM thanked
>all the fans for their support, said "See you later", and flew off into
>the sunset.
>
>TOM's last word: "Bang". Fitting, given TOM's VA and his most famous
>anime role. :)

That doesn't sound like something Orochimaru would say...

(C'mon, we all know that "Naruto" is more famous than "Cowboy Bebop".)

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

The Wanderer

Sep 22, 2008, 5:33:49 PM9/22/08
Rob Kelk wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 11:35:59 -0500, Glenn Shaw <tog...@comnet.cast>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:14:24 -0600, DBBrandell wrote:
>>
>>> Did anyone see the "official announcement?" I didn't catch
>>> anything before Bleach. If you did, was it anything worth
>>> mentioning?
>>
>> The official announcement occured right after Samurai Jack's
>> credits rolled. TOM, in a melancholy voice, announced that, after
>> 11 years, Toonami was shutting down, with his robot comrades
>> initiating a "final shutdown sequence" with a 20-second countdown.
>> At the end, TOM thanked all the fans for their support, said "See
>> you later", and flew off into the sunset.
>>
>> TOM's last word: "Bang". Fitting, given TOM's VA and his most
>> famous anime role. :)
>
> That doesn't sound like something Orochimaru would say...
>
> (C'mon, we all know that "Naruto" is more famous than "Cowboy
> Bebop".)

True, but if I'm inferring the actor's identity correctly, he's more
famous for playing the Cowboy Bebop role than he is for playing the
Naruto one.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.