funniest cartoon/anime scene in the last ~5 years

Brian Christiansen

Sep 28, 2008, 7:33:14 PM9/28/08
I said cartoon/anime scene because my winner is from "Foster's Home for
Imaginary Friends."

Well, anyway, my winner for funniest scene is when the Mac, Bloo and the
pizza delivery guy dress up as "Orlando Bloo" to rescue Frankie from the guy
that wants to get her in the sack. If I were a cartoon, I probably would
too.

What are your nominees/winners.

Brian Christiansen

Derek Janssen

Sep 28, 2008, 8:55:54 PM9/28/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:

Since I'm on an anime group, I'd probably toss you the Azumanga Daioh
boxset, and tell you to close your eyes and pick an episode at random.

Derek Janssen (pretty sure it falls within the timeframe)
eja...@verizon.net

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 28, 2008, 9:02:59 PM9/28/08

Most scenes from Ep. 12, Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade;
especially the hot dog cart, Grandpa Masa doing the lumberjack song
(yes, *that* lumberjack song), the Snake-Indiana-Jones-Matrix scene,
and the chase scene towards the end . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Brian Christiansen

Sep 28, 2008, 9:43:53 PM9/28/08

"Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message

> Since I'm on an anime group, I'd probably toss you the Azumanga Daioh
> boxset, and tell you to close your eyes and pick an episode at random.

The scene where Kagura helps the Spanish guy with his luggage and the one
where Minamo(?) gets swacko and tells the girls the facts of life made my
final cut, but the "Orlando Bloo" scene just makes me crack up, or at least
last time I saw it it did, and I predict it will when/if I see it again.

Brian Christiansen

Aje RavenStar

Sep 28, 2008, 9:58:08 PM9/28/08

"Antonio E. Gonzalez" <AntE...@aol.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:33:14 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
> <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I said cartoon/anime scene because my winner is from "Foster's Home for
>>Imaginary Friends."
>>
>>Well, anyway, my winner for funniest scene is when the Mac, Bloo and the
>>pizza delivery guy dress up as "Orlando Bloo" to rescue Frankie from the
>>guy
>>that wants to get her in the sack. If I were a cartoon, I probably would
>>too.
>>
>>What are your nominees/winners.
>>

> Most scenes from Ep. 12, Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade;
> especially the hot dog cart, Grandpa Masa doing the lumberjack song
> (yes, *that* lumberjack song), the Snake-Indiana-Jones-Matrix scene,
> and the chase scene towards the end . . .

My list is also mostly episodes. Offhand, I'd name the 'he swung away'
episode from FLCL and the omake episode of Tsukuyomi (Moon Phase),
especially the explanation of why Grandfather came to dislike octopus, high
on the list. The UY Beautiful Dreamer movie has too many scenes to list.
The first Lucky TV segment (that rant!) in Lucky Star, and once I actually
see that show I imagine there will be more to list.
Episode 18 of Fruits Basket, where Hanajima and her brother turn the tables
on the Prince Yuki fan club, has one of the funniest twists in an otherwise
serious series I know of - and the ending fadeout is truly inspired. I
snicker every time I think of it.

AstroNerdBoy

Sep 29, 2008, 1:38:17 AM9/29/08
"Those Who Hunt Elves 2" and the episodes entitled "Those Who Wipe."
Still the funniest episode for me in all anime.

-ANB

--
AstroNerdBoy's Anime & Manga Blog
http://astronerdboy.blogspot.com

Impmon

Sep 29, 2008, 1:50:24 PM9/29/08
<brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I said cartoon/anime scene because my winner is from "Foster's Home for
>Imaginary Friends."

Naruto, in one movie scene at the end (after credit) there was an
obvious miscommunication with clueless Naruto and a female. Spoiler
if you don't watch Japanese series as this is end of Naruto Shippuuden
movie.

spoiler ---

turn back!

Last chance to protect your eyes!!

too late! --

Priestess: "And my power must be passed onto the next priestess. What
do you say, Naruto? Are you going to help me?"

Naruto: "Sure! I'll do whatever it takes!"

The shocked expression on the 2 jounins in the back were priceless!!!

Travers Naran

Sep 29, 2008, 3:43:08 PM9/29/08
On Sep 28, 4:33 pm, "Brian Christiansen"

<brian_christi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I said cartoon/anime scene because my winner is from "Foster's Home for
> Imaginary Friends."
>
> What are your nominees/winners.

5. Inuyasha -- Shippo's Battle Royale

Shippo vs. Souten. The entire freaking episode.

4. Azumanga Daioh -- First Summer at Chiyo's summer house

"Yes, this is the only set of keys. If we lost them, we'd be in a lot
of trouble."

[Tomo grabs the keys and throws them high and into the forest]

(2 hours later)

"Found them!"
"Sakaki, now!"

[Sakaki grabs Tomo while Chiyo runs the door, unlocks it and runs
inside collapsing]

3. Inuyasha -- Inuyasha visits Kagome's school on Culture Festival
day

Inuyasha crashes Kagome's play and gets a little... out of hand.

2. Azumanga Daioh -- Tomo's Bad Day

After losing her milk money, hearing about Yomi's trip to Hokkaido and
generally just having a rotten day, she finally goes nuts in the
cafeteria. After a raucous explosion, Tomo steps towards Yomi with a
tray in her hand and with a final burst of rage, slams the tray
towards Yomi's head, but the door opens and Tomo hits someone in the
face.

We see the tray slowly lowering and some familiar clothes. Reverse
shot shows Tomo's face in frozen horror. We look back again as the
tray lowers and we see the forehead and a pair of eyes glowing with
rage. Yukari-sensei's eyes. Cut back to Tomo's face now a study in
abject horror.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!" *whack-whack-whack*

X-D

1. Full Metal Panic -- Fumoffu!

When Sousuke finished his soliloquy explaining why he alone took the
antidote and how the class's noble sacrifice will be remembered, the
"camera" cuts to a wide shot showing the entire class room of enraged
students lunging towards him in slow motion with murderous rage in
their eyes. X-D

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Sep 29, 2008, 6:38:37 PM9/29/08
Travers Naran <tna...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 4. Azumanga Daioh -- First Summer at Chiyo's summer house
>
> "Yes, this is the only set of keys. If we lost them, we'd be in a lot
> of trouble."
>
> [Tomo grabs the keys and throws them high and into the forest]

Second summer, actually.

cu
59cobalt
--
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight
flaw in my character."

Derek Janssen

Sep 29, 2008, 7:42:13 PM9/29/08
[Header corrected, now that drift has successfully gotten the OP off his
original CN-worship kick...Okay, Antonio, just try and fanboy-defend
THAT one.]

Now that we've de-tox'ed the thread, okay, might as well play along--
In often reconsidered order:

5) Ranma 1/2 - Ep. 4: Kunou, in a fit of righteous "dignity", trying to
re-enact Ranma's "seduction" of the Pigtailed Girl, using puppets as
visual aid. (Note Ranma's pigtail standing on end...)

4) Sgt. Frog: When Fuyuki and Momoko accidentally stumble into Keroro's
underground super-high-tech base, the team thinks that ancient Evil
Enemy Invaders have breached security, and panic--
As the "invaders" close in on radar, Keroro, barricaded in the command
center, decides to make one last "heroic" stand against the enemy, in
the great Japanese tradition of wartime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8aCL2BSSNA

3) Sailor Moon R: Two words..."Nurse Minako". 'Nuff said.

2) UY: While Ten-chan is forced to be a "good boy" with his hot
firefighter mother in the house, Ataru snickers loudly over his good
fortune, while Lum looks on with understandable embarrassment:
:-D 6_6
[Hon. mention: In the "Ten Little Indians" episode, Lum pondering a
scary dinosaur statue, then giving it a "Beehh!" and flying off to
join her friends.]

1) Azumanga: Not just Minamo gives her snockered advice to the younger
generation, but the tasteful network censorship--Featuring serene music,
mountains, temples, green meadows, and the girls listening in horror.
0_0'''
[Hon. mention: The "victory parade" after the first Cultural Festival]

Derek Janssen (results subject to change without notice, several times
per discussion, and subject to memory)
eja...@verizon.net

Dave Baranyi

Sep 29, 2008, 8:03:58 PM9/29/08

"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What are your nominees/winners.
>
> Brian Christiansen

- Abenobashi Mahou Shouten Gai - the "Kirameki" episode, with Arumi in
chibi-oni form trying to kill Sashi.

- Urusei Yatsura - The episode when Lum agrees to let Ataru flirt all he
wants for a day in exchange for a promise of a date, and Tomobiki-cho
suffers heavily from her "restraint"

- Stop! Hibari-kun, the aftermath of Kosaku's dream of coming home as a
salary man and celebrating Hibari's announcement of pregnancy

- Azumanga Daioh - Osaka and the knife

Dave Baranyi

Derek Janssen

Sep 29, 2008, 9:07:44 PM9/29/08
Dave Baranyi wrote:

> "Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>What are your nominees/winners.
>

> - Urusei Yatsura - The episode when Lum agrees to let Ataru flirt all he
> wants for a day in exchange for a promise of a date, and Tomobiki-cho
> suffers heavily from her "restraint"

Much as I'd put that on the list, I tried putting UY on an earlier
cancelled post, and forgot about the Five-Year rule. (Darn.)

Thus revising previously posted list to:

----
- The Wallflower: Sunako's "scary" transformation into a Good Girl...
0_0''

- Oh Edo Rocket: An "ancient legend", SNES style...
[HM: "The message says, 'Shinigami only eat apples'..." "<*offscreen
pow*!>"]

- Sgt. Frog: When Fuyuki and Momoko accidentally stumble into Keroro's

underground super-high-tech base, the team thinks that ancient Evil
Enemy Invaders have breached security, and panic--
As the "invaders" close in on radar, Keroro, barricaded in the command
center, decides to make one last "heroic" stand against the enemy, in
the great Japanese tradition of wartime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8aCL2BSSNA

[Hon. mention: An oddly familiar scene on a mountain road... (2:27):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN1OHl0Ojkw ]

- Azumanga: Not just Minamo gives her snockered advice to the younger

generation, but the tasteful network censorship--Featuring serene music,
mountains, temples, green meadows, and the girls listening in horror.
0_0'''
[Hon. mention: The "victory parade" after the first Cultural Festival]

---

Derek Janssen (darn, now the list probably meant COMMERCIAL anime,
too--Like the CN-fanboy stuff would've fit that either)
eja...@verizon.net

Travers Naran

Sep 29, 2008, 9:11:58 PM9/29/08
Dave Baranyi wrote:
> - Azumanga Daioh - Osaka and the knife

How could I have forgotten that! X-D

--
-----
Travers Naran, tnaran at google's mail.com

Captain Nerd

Sep 29, 2008, 9:45:33 PM9/29/08
In article <AZeEk.837$kI6...@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote:

> Dave Baranyi wrote:
>
> > "Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >

> >>What are your nominees/winners.

I'd say Lucky Channel episode 8, where Akira-chan does the most
exaggerated "ne" I had ever heard, and the whole part with the
letters and the clipboard, all had me rolling for a long time.
All the Lucky Channels are contenders as far as I'm concerned,
but #8 takes the prize.

Cap.
(... "piru.. piru.. piru" "Don't touch me" ...)

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

The Wanderer

Sep 29, 2008, 9:57:12 PM9/29/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:

> What are your nominees/winners.

I don't have a lot of breadth from which to choose in that time period,
but if we limit it to things I've seen, it would have to be something
from Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. It's been long enough since I've seen it that I
don't know if I can pin down an exact scene, but I spent a greater
proportion of time laughing while watching that than any other animated
thing I remember in the last decade or more...

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Derek Janssen

Sep 29, 2008, 10:28:56 PM9/29/08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nHbQuz3uww

> All the Lucky Channels are contenders as far as I'm concerned,
> but #8 takes the prize.

I'd disagree with the larger assessment, but a correct specific one
nontheless--
I'd even conquer my deeply ingrained chocolate-cornet-traumatized
Lucky-Phobia to include Konata as Harumi Cosplay Cafe waitress:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcq3QaVHXhI

Derek Janssen (whew...Good thing I'd only listed four, in case I'd
forgotten one.) ^_^
eja...@verizon.net

Brian Christiansen

Sep 30, 2008, 12:33:10 PM9/30/08

"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Many worthy candidates, some of which I have seen, some of which I haven't.
There are 2 reasons my winner isn't specifically from "anime."

The first is that when I think of scenes that just totally crack me up and
have me LOLing, the scene from "Foster's Home" just rises to the top no
matter what I do or think about.

It also has to do with my "philosophy" of cartoons, which I might just take
a stab at explaining some day.

Brian Christiansen

Derek Janssen

Sep 30, 2008, 5:04:23 PM9/30/08
Brian Christiansen wrote:

> Many worthy candidates, some of which I have seen, some of which I haven't.
> There are 2 reasons my winner isn't specifically from "anime."
>
> The first is that when I think of scenes that just totally crack me up and
> have me LOLing, the scene from "Foster's Home" just rises to the top no
> matter what I do or think about.
>
> It also has to do with my "philosophy" of cartoons, which I might just take
> a stab at explaining some day.

And 3), you were a CN fanboy wrapping himself up in "Well, like, they
show anime *too*, don't they?--That counts!"

...Despite the fact that some of us watch anime just to GET AWAY FROM
Cartoon Network.

Derek Janssen (look, just call yourself Antonio and post comic strips,
okay?) ;)
eja...@verizon.net

Brian Christiansen

Sep 30, 2008, 7:34:36 PM9/30/08

> And 3), you were a CN fanboy wrapping himself up in "Well, like, they show
> anime *too*, don't they?--That counts!"

Well, no, there is plenty on CN that sucks too, but it sucks because it
sucks, not because it isn't anime or because it is on CN. I like anime, but
I have yet to see any, that in my opinion is in some way more than "just
cartoons".

My philosopy is that, first of all, cartoons are something that are stupid
to have a philosophy of, in fact it is extra special dangerously stupid to
have a phlosophy of them, so I will change it to "opinion."

As far as I am concerned, a cartoon, whether American, Canadian, Italian,
anime (in sub or dub form), or whatever else, is a piece of fluff that is a
pleasant diversion for usually roughly a half hour to either me or to
someone else. I have yet to see any that are, to me, something more than
that.

Even stuff like like Death Note, which I suppose deals with more
"philosophic" issues than most cartoons, and that I happen to like, in the
final analyses, to me is no more than mere piece of fluff that is a pleasant
diversion for a half hour.

When it comes right down to it, Cowboy Bebop, which in my opinion, is the
best show CN has ever shown, is no more than a piece of fluff that is a
pleasant diversion for a half hour.

My opinion of the English dub of sailor moon, which I think I have seen all,
or at least most of, is that it is a piece of fluff that is a pleasant
diversion for about a half hour. Granted, I have only seen a handful of
subbed episodes, but I guess I just missed the one where it became more than
that.

That is why I included "Foster's home" in my list of nominees. It is a
piece of fluff that is pleasant diversion for a half hour.

If a CN show meets that definition, I watch it. If it does not, I change to
food network, or TVLAND, or do something else.

Finally, even if I were a "CN fanboy," or even agreed that I were, what in
hell is wrong with that anyway.

Sorry if that is the "wrong" opinion to have about anime.

Brian Christiansen

Blade

Oct 1, 2008, 10:17:47 AM10/1/08

> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>> And 3), you were a CN fanboy wrapping himself up in "Well, like, they
>> show anime *too*, don't they?--That counts!"
>>
> Well, no, there is plenty on CN that sucks too, but it sucks because it
> sucks, not because it isn't anime or because it is on CN. I like anime,
> but I have yet to see any, that in my opinion is in some way more than
> "just cartoons".

Out of curiosity, is there any other examples of media you consider more
than fluff?

(depending on your tastes, there are some anime I consider entertaining but
also thought-provoking art)

> Finally, even if I were a "CN fanboy," or even agreed that I were, what in
> hell is wrong with that anyway.
>
> Sorry if that is the "wrong" opinion to have about anime.

Just ignore Derek. It's the best thing to do. :)

-
Blade

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 2, 2008, 2:37:28 AM10/2/08
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:02:59 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:33:14 -0700, "Brian Christiansen"
><brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I said cartoon/anime scene because my winner is from "Foster's Home for
>>Imaginary Friends."
>>
>>Well, anyway, my winner for funniest scene is when the Mac, Bloo and the
>>pizza delivery guy dress up as "Orlando Bloo" to rescue Frankie from the guy
>>that wants to get her in the sack. If I were a cartoon, I probably would
>>too.
>>
>>What are your nominees/winners.
>>

> Most scenes from Ep. 12, Abenobashi Magical Shopping Arcade;
>especially the hot dog cart, Grandpa Masa doing the lumberjack song
>(yes, *that* lumberjack song), the Snake-Indiana-Jones-Matrix scene,
>and the chase scene towards the end . . .

A few more:

Kasahara's "love over-reactions" in Toshokan Senso
- At the end of ep. 2, when the combative Tezuka challenges her once
again by . . . asking her out on a date!
- At the end of ep. 8, when she realizes Dojo is the "Prince Charming"
from that incident in ther teen years; even Dojo doing a spit-take on
the side!

Hayate no Gotoku - Just about any scene with Tama; considering he's a
white tiger, and with their countless pop-culture/anime references,
I'm surprised they didn't do a Siegfried and Roy gag (unless I missed
it; not Nagi's flaming ring trick, I'm thinking Montecore here!)

--

- ReFlex76

Brian Christiansen

Oct 2, 2008, 2:15:26 PM10/2/08

"Blade" <kumo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Derek Janssen" <eja...@nospam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> And 3), you were a CN fanboy wrapping himself up in "Well, like, they
>>> show anime *too*, don't they?--That counts!"
>>>
>> Well, no, there is plenty on CN that sucks too, but it sucks because it
>> sucks, not because it isn't anime or because it is on CN. I like anime,
>> but I have yet to see any, that in my opinion is in some way more than
>> "just cartoons".
>
> Out of curiosity, is there any other examples of media you consider more
> than fluff?
>
> (depending on your tastes, there are some anime I consider entertaining
> but also thought-provoking art)

Well, as to a form I don't produce, like painting, I look at paintings as
more than just "pretty pictures." However, even if they mean more to me
than that, it is because they mean something to me, and the pictures that
mean something to me are the paintings made by my mom, grandmother,
grandfather, and photographs by my dad (I think that is everyting I have on
my wall right now.) Except for the monetary value, I have no interest in a
Picasso or Van Gogh or whatever.

As for a form I do produce, specifically quilting, most of the quilts I make
I give away. I view quilting as mostly utilitarian. However, the most
"utilitarian" way I can think of to make a quilt is to take 2 pieces of say,
white muslin slap them together with a piece of batting, then quilt them
together in straight lines about 4" apart. Then bind them with the cheapest
binding you can find or make.

I have no interest in making quilts this way. It is more fun to take
various colors and piece them together using whatever pattern. I also
believe that if someone is in such dire straits as to turn to project linus
(http://www.projectlinus.org/), thet deserve a little color in their life.

The fabric I use is usually from the remnants table (1.00 a yard), and I
look at type of fabric, knit vs. woven, blend vs all cotton, so the color is
pretty much potluck. However I really can't say if the colors I do choose
say "something" about my personality or belief system or what.

I do know I don't use pastelly "baby-colors." Mostly, those colors are
rarely in the remnants bin, but also because I personally just don't like
them. I also have this theory that babies don't really either, but for some
reason those are the colors that adults "think" babies are supposed to like.

Brian Christiansen

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 8, 2008, 5:10:36 PM10/8/08
On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 23:37:28 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

Also from Hayate no Gotoku: Uyumu's infamous "strawberry blowjob"
in episode 48, primarily for the Censor Chibi's desperate attempt to
cover it up, down to the girl Carmeldansin!

axlq

Oct 9, 2008, 6:35:39 PM10/9/08
In article <OuUDk.2388$be....@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>,

Brian Christiansen <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>What are your nominees/winners.

The only thing I saw that really gave me a belly laugh, I can't
explain why. It was one of the Naruto "filler" episodes involving
the cooking ninjas. The scene showing these ninjas falling out of
trees because they gained too much weight evoked a big laugh.

-A

Elsie

Oct 12, 2008, 5:22:38 PM10/12/08
"axlq" <ax...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

For me it would be the first episode of Ouran High School Host Club when the
light bulbs go on.

laurie

Gerardo Campos

Oct 13, 2008, 5:19:03 AM10/13/08
"Brian Christiansen" <brian_ch...@hotmail.com> wrote on Sun 28 Sep
2008 06:33:14p:

Dragon Ball, must of the fights during the Budokai:

from my point of view, the funniest is the fight between Kuririn and
Jackie Chun, when the announcer asks them to explain all the fighting
that happened in half a second.

--
Saludos
Gerardo Campos

Robert Sneddon

Oct 14, 2008, 8:34:56 PM10/14/08
I laughed like a drain throughout most of the Full Metal Panic:
Fumoffu! episodes but that was conditioned by previous experience to the
deadpan Sagara Souseke in the first FMP! Series.

Single scene -- a bit out of the ordinary, but the karaoke competition
in Kujibiki Unbalance episode 21, when Akiyama Tokino picks up the mike
and announces she is going to sing. And then she sings.

Oh dear.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

DBBrandell

Oct 15, 2008, 1:32:45 AM10/15/08
Robert Sneddon wrote:
> I laughed like a drain throughout most of the Full Metal Panic:
> Fumoffu! episodes but that was conditioned by previous experience to the
> deadpan Sagara Souseke in the first FMP! Series.
>
> Single scene -- a bit out of the ordinary, but the karaoke competition
> in Kujibiki Unbalance episode 21, when Akiyama Tokino picks up the mike
> and announces she is going to sing. And then she sings.
>
> Oh dear.

Oh yeah. I usually prefer dubs, but this one, it made my night, it did.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5xj8lx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnri1Wp5sOc

Short, 1 minute 1 second. :) :)

DBB